PDA

View Full Version : Other People's Football (2015 edition)

Pages : [1] 2

OldPhiKap
09-03-2015, 06:55 PM
Figured I might as well start a general thread in lieu of "upset watch" or other ones. General, non-Duke college football. Because we are a football school after all.

Steve Spurrier's Gamecocks have tied the game with the forces of cheating and darkness, 7-7 early in the second half. Go South Carolina!

devildeac
09-03-2015, 08:00 PM
Figured I might as well start a general thread in lieu of "upset watch" or other ones. General, non-Duke college football. Because we are a football school after all.

Steve Spurrier's Gamecocks have tied the game with the forces of cheating and darkness, 7-7 early in the second half. Go South Carolina!

Damn. The Old Ball Coach won't get his shutout tonight;).

Well, maybe at the end of the game he can still party like it's 1989;).

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-03-2015, 08:18 PM
Damn. The Old Ball Coach won't get his shutout tonight;).

Well, maybe at the end of the game he can still party like it's 1989;).
This is not good football.

Tripping William
09-03-2015, 08:37 PM

Wait, does this mean there will be not football version of "I'm not gonna jinx it"? My spirits have been crushed! :eek:

OldPhiKap
09-03-2015, 08:58 PM
That third/fourth down stand by UNC hurt. Could have kicked the FG but Steve going for the throat.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-03-2015, 09:10 PM
Hehe...

OldPhiKap
09-03-2015, 09:28 PM
Hehe...

Steve now 6-0 v. The heels.

Go to HELL Carolina!!!

OldPhiKap
09-04-2015, 07:42 PM
For those interested, future opponent Army is on CBSSN (same we were on) against Fordham right now. 14-14 in first quarter.

Olympic Fan
09-04-2015, 10:56 PM
For those interested, future opponent Army is on CBSSN (same we were on) against Fordham right now. 14-14 in first quarter.

Final: Fordham 37, Army 35

To be fair, Fordham is a good FCS school (11-3 last season). And Army was breaking in a first-time QB (a good athlete who was recruited as a DB by several ACC schools). Still, it was at West Point and Army looked terrible on defense -- small and slow. After watching Duke beat Tulane so badly last night, I was wondering whether Tulane was the second-worst or third-worst team we will play ... after watching most of Army-Fordham, I'd say that Tulane is better than Army (and, obviously, NCCU).

It's a funny thing about openers. Because Duke was so dominant, a lot have dismissed Tulane as a terrible team -- even though they were expected to be a lot better than last year's very young 3-9 team. I guess we'll see.

But at the same time, did anybody see how No. 4 Baylor struggled against an SMU team that was 1-11 last year? Baylor was lucky to get out of the first half with a lead. They were up 28-21 in the final minute, but SMU had a first and goal at the two in the final minute of the half ... and turned it over. Baylor pulled away to win 56-21, but they were far less impressive against 1-11 SMU than Duke was against 3-9 Tulane. Does that mean anything?

Not a great opening weekend for the Big 12. Not only did Baylor struggle for a half against a bad SMU team, but No. 2 TCU had to fight for its life Thursday night against a mediocre (at least that's the expectation) Minnesota team -- a 23-17 win, but Minnesota had the ball at the end, down less than a TD.

Not a terribly impressive opener for No. 5 Michigan State either. They beat Western Michigan 37-24 -- but only after they intercepted a pass in the end zone with two minutes left (WMU had the ball first and goal at the seven at the time).

BTW, Syracuse pounded a bad FCS opponent -- Rhode Island (1-11 last season) -- to make the ACC 4-1 on the weekend. I forget which ACC team gagged its opener ...

Eight more ACC games tomorrow.

PS Army has a wide receiver named Edgar Allen Poe ... how cool is that? Of course, the famous writer of that name also attended the USMA at West Point.

Tripping William
09-05-2015, 08:50 AM
PS Army has a wide receiver named Edgar Allen Poe ... how cool is that? Of course, the famous writer of that name also attended the USMA at West Point.

Baltimore needs to draft him.

OldPhiKap
09-05-2015, 08:54 AM
Baltimore needs to draft him.

Alas, Nevermore.

AustinDevil
09-05-2015, 11:15 AM
It's a funny thing about openers. Because Duke was so dominant, a lot have dismissed Tulane as a terrible team -- even though they were expected to be a lot better than last year's very young 3-9 team. I guess we'll see.

But at the same time, did anybody see how No. 4 Baylor struggled against an SMU team that was 1-11 last year? Baylor was lucky to get out of the first half with a lead. They were up 28-21 in the final minute, but SMU had a first and goal at the two in the final minute of the half ... and turned it over. Baylor pulled away to win 56-21, but they were far less impressive against 1-11 SMU than Duke was against 3-9 Tulane. Does that mean anything?

I grew up with SMU and they remain my second team. Everything you say is true, but two things you don't mention make the uncertainty about how to interpret this game even more interesting. The first is how ready Baylor really was for this game, with the rape turmoil swirling and arguably their two best defensive starters suspended within 24 hours before kickoff. The second is that 1-11 SMU was led into the season and "coached" for the first two games by June Jones, who had completely given up on the school and the team well, well before he resigned. Former Clemson OC Chad Morris had a good first recruiting class and a lot of the positive SMU plays in the first half last night were by true freshmen.

Anyway, just agreeing with you that it will be interesting to see what Duke-Tulane means (I definitely share the view that it will mean Duke is better than expected, not that Tulane is worse) and what Baylor-SMU means...

sagegrouse
09-05-2015, 02:50 PM
The Wildcats are beating Stanford 16-6 late in the 4th quarter at Evanston. Really an impressive performance -- the Northwestern offense has been pushing Stanford all over the field.

Olympic Fan
09-05-2015, 03:18 PM
The Wildcats are beating Stanford 16-6 late in the 4th quarter at Evanston. Really an impressive performance -- the Northwestern offense has been pushing Stanford all over the field.

I watched most of this game -- great performance by the Northwestern defense -- they held Stanford to under 200 yards total offense up until the final minutes. They had some help -- Stanford's senior QB Kevin Hogan, a three-year starter and a projected first-round draft pick, was TERRIBLE. He was off-target and late all day. On the last gasp for Stanford, he has an open receiver in the end zone, but throws a wounded duck that allows the NW defender to get there and pick it.

Still, very good job by the NW defense, which won the line of scrimmage, stopped the Stanford running game and applied decent pressure. The NW offense was okay, not great. They were able to run a bit and their young QB (a prep All-American starting his first game) made some nice throws. The announcers kept talking about his running skills, but I never saw it. They do have a sophomore RB who rushed for 1,000 yards last season as a true freshman. He's good.

It's going to be a great game in Wade in two weeks .. I notice the ESPN announcers are already counting it as a Northwestern win.

I was checking in on some ACC games also. Two HUGE injuries in the early games. Pitt's James Connors, the best running back in the ACC, left the Youngstown State game with a knee injury. And Clemson's Mike Williams -- a first-team All-ACC preseason pick -- was carted off the field with a neck injury in the game against Wofford. No cluse how serious either injury is, but they don't look good.

Clemson, BTW, was absolutely dominant against a mid-level FCS opponent (Wofford was 6-5 last year). It was 35-0 before Wofford got their first first down with two minutes left in the half. It would have been worse, except Clemson kept playing their backup QB and their punt returner fumbled a punt away late in the first half. The other ACC teams are doing well against outmatched opponents, except BC which is fighting for its life at home against Maine.

Bob Green
09-05-2015, 03:20 PM
-- the Northwestern offense has been pushing Stanford all over the field.

Redshirt freshman quarterback Clayton Thorson played like a poised veteran behind an offensive line which dominated the line of scrimmage. Justin Jackson rushed for 134 yards on 28 carries. The NW victory isn't completely surprising; the Wildcats were 5-7 in 2014 but two of their wins were over Top 25 Wisconsin and Notre Dame. They are a dangerous team.

September 19 will be an early season litmus test, I am looking forward to the challenge.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-05-2015, 03:59 PM
I feel like Northwestern starts off strong every year and then regresses rapidly. Too bad we're playing them early.

sagegrouse
09-05-2015, 05:20 PM
Redshirt freshman quarterback Clayton Thorson played like a poised veteran behind an offensive line which dominated the line of scrimmage. Justin Jackson rushed for 134 yards on 28 carries. The NW victory isn't completely surprising; the Wildcats were 5-7 in 2014 but two of their wins were over Top 25 Wisconsin and Notre Dame. They are a dangerous team.

September 19 will be an early season litmus test, I am looking forward to the challenge.

I feel like Northwestern starts off strong every year and then regresses rapidly. Too bad we're playing them early.

Another factor? A 9 AM start on PDT. I watched about half the game, but Stanford appeared to be sleepwalking. I gave credit to Northwestern's offense 'cuz they were able to keep drives going in the second half (when the Stanford alarm clock should have gone off). The Northwestern offense allowed its defense to get some rest, and the Cats' defense played superbly.

Tripping William
09-05-2015, 07:25 PM
If you haven't seen BYU's Hail Moroni to beat Nebraska, it's must-see.

NashvilleDevil
09-05-2015, 07:57 PM
If you haven't seen BYU's Hail Moroni to beat Nebraska, it's must-see.

I'll be recovering from this stomach punch loss for a couple weeks. Brutal way for the Huskers to lose after controlling most of the 2nd half. Offense sputtered last couple of drives and that call of a jet sweep on 3rd and 3 before the missed FG was befuddling. Nebraska usually has a great kicking game but Brown (who is the brother of Kris Brown who kicked for the Huskers from 95-99) has been really weak the last two seasons. All that said, terrible defense on the Hail Mormon.

dragoneye776
09-06-2015, 12:32 AM
Not a great showing for the ACC in our Power 5 matchups. Louisville, UVA, (and UNC) losing, and I'm not optimistic about VTech tomorrow. Hey maybe Northwestern will become ranked right before they come, and we can beat them.

Olympic Fan
09-06-2015, 12:52 AM
Not a great showing for the ACC in our Power 5 matchups. Louisville, UVA, (and UNC) losing, and I'm not optimistic about VTech tomorrow. Hey maybe Northwestern will become ranked right before they come, and we can beat them.

The ACC is now 10-3 against OOC opponents.

That looks good, but seven of the wins were against FCS opponents.

Two wins were FBS wins against teams from the Sun Belt and one an FBS win from the AAC (which is a major conference in basketball, but not football).

The ACC was 0-3 against power five opponents.

The best ACC win so far? That would have to be FSU's lopsided victory over Texas State, which was 7-5 in the Sun Belt last season.

The next best -- either Duke's win over Tulane (3-9 in the AAC) or NC State's win over Troy (3-9 in the Sun Belt).

That's not a very impressive victory list.

Just hope Virginia Tech can save the weekend by beating the Buckeyes in Blacksburg ... hey, they beat OSU in Columbus a year ago, so anything's possible.

Olympic Fan
09-06-2015, 01:25 PM
Did anybody see what happened at the end of the Colorado at Hawaii game? Probably not -- it ended at almost 5 a.m. Friday morning, Eastern time.

I just saw it myself.

Here's the deal -- Hawaii leads 28-20 with time running out, but Colorado is driving, completing a pass inside the Hawaii 10 with 14 seconds left. It's just short of the first down and Colorado has no time outs left. Still, they should have gotten at least one more play -- or a spike and a real play.

But the refs mishandle the ball -- at one point, a toss from the back judge to the referee hits a Hawaii player and bounces away. The point is, they never get the ball spotted and don't stop the clock, even though it's their own butterfingers that prevent a timely spot:

http://www.pacifictakes.com/colorado-buffaloes/2015/9/4/9260259/watch-colorado-buffaloes-hawaii-warriors-controversial-ending-referees-officials

Now, Colorado would have still had to score, then convert a 2-point conversion, then win in OT ... but they still should have had that chance.

jimsumner
09-06-2015, 02:18 PM
Did anybody see what happened at the end of the Colorado at Hawaii game? Probably not -- it ended at almost 5 a.m. Friday morning, Eastern time.

I just saw it myself.

Here's the deal -- Hawaii leads 28-20 with time running out, but Colorado is driving, completing a pass inside the Hawaii 10 with 14 seconds left. It's just short of the first down and Colorado has no time outs left. Still, they should have gotten at least one more play -- or a spike and a real play.

But the refs mishandle the ball -- at one point, a toss from the back judge to the referee hits a Hawaii player and bounces away. The point is, they never get the ball spotted and don't stop the clock, even though it's their own butterfingers that prevent a timely spot:

http://www.pacifictakes.com/colorado-buffaloes/2015/9/4/9260259/watch-colorado-buffaloes-hawaii-warriors-controversial-ending-referees-officials

Now, Colorado would have still had to score, then convert a 2-point conversion, then win in OT ... but they still should have had that chance.

Was Bobby Petrino one of the officials?

Olympic Fan
09-07-2015, 11:16 AM
To most of us (including me) the ACC had a lackluster first weekend of the season -- at least heading into tonight's Ohio State at VPI game.

But that's something that needs to be put into perspective. Did the ACC really do that poorly? Well, the ACC was 10-3 without a los to a non-power 5 team. No other conference was able to get through the first weekend without a non-power 5 loss.

Here's the breakdown:
1. SEC 12-1 ... but the one loss was Western Kentucky beating Vanderbilt
2. Big 12 8-2 ... but South Dakota State of the FCS beat Kansas
3. ACC 10-3
4. Pac 12 7-5 ... but Hawaii beat Colorado, Portland State beat Washington State and Boise State beat Washington (okay, the last one is not that bad)
5. Big 10 7-6 ... but Temple beat Penn State; BYU beat Nebraska and Marshall beat Purdue

The ACC might not have any signature wins at the moment, but it's the only power 5 conference without an embarrassing loss.

wilson
09-07-2015, 11:25 AM
To most of us (including me) the ACC had a lackluster first weekend of the season -- at least heading into tonight's Ohio State at VPI game.

But that's something that needs to be put into perspective. Did the ACC really do that poorly? Well, the ACC was 10-3 without a los to a non-power 5 team. No other conference was able to get through the first weekend without a non-power 5 loss.

Here's the breakdown:
1. SEC 12-1 ... but the one loss was Western Kentucky beating Vanderbilt
2. Big 12 8-2 ... but South Dakota State of the FCS beat Kansas
3. ACC 10-3
4. Pac 12 7-5 ... but Hawaii beat Colorado, Portland State beat Washington State and Boise State beat Washington (okay, the last one is not that bad)
5. Big 10 7-6 ... but Temple beat Penn State; BYU beat Nebraska and Marshall beat Purdue

The ACC might not have any signature wins at the moment, but it's the only power 5 conference without an embarrassing loss.Interesting numbers here. Overall, they seem to say that the other conferences' top ends are higher than the ACC, but the low ends are lower. Sounds about right to me.

peloton
09-07-2015, 12:25 PM
Some bad news for Pitt football and the young man involved. Their ACC Player of the Year candidate and starting RB James Conner is out for the rest of the season due to upcoming surgery for a torn MCL in his right knee which happened during their game against Youngstown State. Very sorry to read this as he obviously has a lot of talent and will be hard to replace I imagine (I confess I know very little about Pitt's team though). Best of luck to him in his recovery and hopefully he'll continue to be a force to be reckoned with when he returns.

OldPhiKap
09-07-2015, 12:38 PM
Some bad news for Pitt football and the young man involved. Their ACC Player of the Year candidate and starting RB James Conner is out for the rest of the season due to upcoming surgery for a torn MCL in his right knee which happened during their game against Youngstown State. Very sorry to read this as he obviously has a lot of talent and will be hard to replace I imagine (I confess I know very little about Pitt's team though). Best of luck to him in his recovery and hopefully he'll continue to be a force to be reckoned with when he returns.

Conner is an absolute beast. Very sorry to hear this, best wishes for a full and fast recovery.

wilson
09-07-2015, 01:01 PM

Conner is an absolute beast. Very sorry to hear this, best wishes for a full and fast recovery.Definitely a bummer for that player and program. It's early, but Pitt could be setting up to be one of the ACC disappointments this season. Conner has been a bell cow for their offense pretty much since his arrival, especially last year, when he averaged nearly 150 yards a game with a pretty amazing 26 TDs (!). Even with Conner, Pitt really struggled with Youngstown State on Saturday. Conner's backup, Qadree Ollison, really stepped up (207 yds), but it still hurts to lose the reigning ACC Player of the Year.

Olympic Fan
09-07-2015, 03:31 PM
Interesting numbers here. Overall, they seem to say that the other conferences' top ends are higher than the ACC, but the low ends are lower. Sounds about right to me.

I don't disagree, but let me suggest it's too early to make that suggestion.

After all, the ACC's "top end" teams all won easily against lesser competition Saturday. Clemson, Florida State and Georgia Tech all looked great ... the point is we have no clue at this point how good our top end teams are, except that over the last two years, our best teams have been better than most of the top end SEC or Big Ten teams.

At the same time, our low end teams all looked good against really bad competition. Wake Forest, probably the lowest rated ACC team at the moment, beat up on an Elon team that was 1-11 a year ago in the FCS. Syracuse beat up on another 1-11 FCS team. BC, which is rebuilding about a solid year, had to struggle past FCS Maine.

Our 0-3 BCS record probably isn't that bad -- unranked Louisville, picked third in the Atlantic Division preseason, took No. 6 Auburn to the wire before losing by a TD in Atlanta. Virginia, picked last in the Coastal Division did get blown out by No. 13 UCLA in LA. Only UNC's loss to South Carolina -- a midlevel ACC team against a midlevel South Carolina was anything close to a tossup. And if you watched the game, I think you'll agree that UNC was clearly the more talented team -- only the ineptitude of their senior QB and their head coach (why did he stop running Hood inside the 10 yard-line?) cost UNC that game.

My point is that it's to early to make sweeping judgments about the ACC -- or any other conference -- at this point.

Really bad news about Connor ... especially since the Pitt defense appeared to melt down against Youngstown State. Keep watching, but they made be in trouble.

Also, Syracuse QB Terrell Hunt was lost for the season in the opener against Rhode Island. And Clemson WR Mike Williams (a first-team preseason All-ACC pick) will miss at least six weeks with a broken neck (well, a cracked bone in his neck). Dabo said Sunday that the injury will be re-evaluated in six weeks:

http://www.tigernet.com/update/player/Williams-extended-time-neck-injury-20271

OldPhiKap
09-07-2015, 09:37 PM
The Ohio State University looking much better than VPI. But Hoakies leading 17-14 at half.

IsInTheDetails
09-07-2015, 10:32 PM
The Ohio State University looking much better than VPI. But Hoakies leading 17-14 at half.

VPI is keeping this game tight - down only 4 late in the third quarter - with a rather stout-looking defense. Unfortunately, their talented senior QB, Michael Brewer, went down with what's being called a collarbone injury. Not clear if it's a broken collarbone or a separated AC joint, and the injury is to his non-throwing shoulder, but hard to imagine he won't miss at least a few weeks either way.

Tough week for injuries across college football and the ACC, especially Pitt's loss of James Conner.

Merlindevildog91
09-07-2015, 11:11 PM
Isn't Ohio State's kicker Jack Wiloughby, our ex kickoff guy?

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-07-2015, 11:16 PM
Isn't Ohio State's kicker Jack Wiloughby, our ex kickoff guy?
Yes, indeed!

dragoneye776
09-07-2015, 11:34 PM
Great effort by Virginia Tech! Led at the half 17-14 and showed everyone on national TV that a "middle of the pack" ACC team could hang with the #1 ranked team.

But it just went downhill after Michael Brewer went down... with a broken collarbone. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13606191/michael-brewer-virginia-tech-hokies-shoulder-injury

luburch
09-08-2015, 07:16 AM
Great effort by Virginia Tech! Led at the half 17-14 and showed everyone on national TV that a "middle of the pack" ACC team could hang with the #1 ranked team.

But it just went downhill after Michael Brewer went down... with a broken collarbone. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13606191/michael-brewer-virginia-tech-hokies-shoulder-injury

To be fair they were extremely fortunate to be in the game at half. OSU muffed a punt that lead to a VT score. VT got a deflected diving interception.* Ohio State had a touchdown called back due to a penalty.

(Still not convinced that the DB actually picked that off. It was hard to tell either way even with 100 replays.)

tux
09-08-2015, 08:42 AM
... OSU muffed a punt that lead to a VT score. VT got a deflected diving interception.* Ohio State had a touchdown called back due to a penalty.

But aren't you just describing plays in a normal football game.

I thought VT showed a lot of heart coming back from 14 down early. The crowd was electric -- a great atmosphere for a nationally televised game...

Mike Corey
09-08-2015, 10:23 AM
Thought the Hokies played very well, and but for Braxton Miller being Braxton Miller, would have been closer in the end.

Hate to see any player go down with an injury, let alone their QB. That certainly did not help their cause.

Very excited for Northwestern, and its upcoming game with our Blue Devils. Stanford's on a downward trajectory, and the media will surely anoint the winner of the Duke-Northwestern game as the heir apparent of the "nerd bowl."

tux
09-08-2015, 10:38 AM
Very excited for Northwestern, and its upcoming game with our Blue Devils. Stanford's on a downward trajectory, and the media will surely anoint the winner of the Duke-Northwestern game as the heir apparent of the "nerd bowl."

It's interesting. Was it Cut's second year that Stanford came to town with Andrew Luck and dominated Duke? And NW and Stanford are the programs that folks point to as models for Duke... If Duke beats NW in two weeks, it will serve as another reminder of how far Cut and his staff have taken the program.

Olympic Fan
09-08-2015, 10:52 AM
It's interesting. Was it Cut's second year that Stanford came to town with Andrew Luck and dominated Duke? And NW and Stanford are the programs that folks point to as models for Duke... If Duke beats NW in two weeks, it will serve as another reminder of how far Cut and his staff have taken the program.

Cut's first loss at Duke -- in his second game -- was to Northwestern in Wade. It was a close game (as I recall Duke had the game-winning TD called back late by a penalty). Northwestern won 24-20.

The Stanford loss you're talking about was in 2011 (Cut's fourth year). Andrew Luck and company came to Durham and blitzed Duke 44-14. The next year, Duke went to Stanford and was beat up -- both physically and on the scoreboard -- in a 50-13 loss.

Agree that the Duke-Northwestern game will have a lot of importance. Not sure that I agree that Stanford is sliding that badly -- Kevin Hogan is a better quarterback than he looked at Northwestern. If he regains his form, the Cardinal will do alright.

94duke
09-12-2015, 03:29 PM
Louisville just lost to Houston for another OOC loss.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400756911

Richard Berg
09-12-2015, 05:00 PM
Virginia looked totally lost in the 1st quarter, total yards something like ND 150 - UVA 4. A few confidence-building trick plays later, they are taking a lead into halftime (and will receive to open the 3rd).

Richard Berg
09-12-2015, 07:03 PM
Virginia looked totally lost in the 1st quarter, total yards something like ND 150 - UVA 4. A few confidence-building trick plays later, they are taking a lead into halftime (and will receive to open the 3rd).
#9 ND needs an improbable 1-minute drill to come from behind. Wow.

Tripping William
09-12-2015, 07:06 PM
#9 ND needs an improbable 1-minute drill to come from behind. Wow.

And they get it. Hoos let 'em off the hook.

OldPhiKap
09-12-2015, 07:43 PM
And they get it. Hoos let 'em off the hook.

Mike London is just snake bit.

Merlindevildog91
09-12-2015, 09:38 PM
Mike London is just snake bit.

My UVA buddies are absolutely fed up with him. Two even gave up their season tickets. They think the vultures are circling.

OldPhiKap
09-12-2015, 09:39 PM
Tennessee-Oklahoma headed to OT. Vols had this in hand . . . .

BigWayne
09-13-2015, 02:22 AM
Even though I don't really care about either team, I am setting up the DVR right now to record UCLA-BYU next week to see what Tanner Mangum does when he gets to Pasadena.

budwom
09-13-2015, 08:19 AM
Maryland gets hammered at home by Bowling Green, 48-27. Oh how much I don't miss them.

OldPhiKap
09-13-2015, 12:10 PM
Maryland gets hammered at home by Bowling Green, 48-27. Oh how much I don't miss them.

Even the Bowling Green fans chanted "not our rival." Ouch.

Bet Maryland won't shake their hands next year.

Olympic Fan
09-13-2015, 01:10 PM
Most amazing game of the day was at Auburn, where the No. 6 in the nation War Eagles had to go to overtime -- and were damn lucky to get to overtime, scoring the tying TD with 39 seconds left -- to beat Jacksonville State from the FCS.

Auburn was a 47 point favorite ... it would have been just the second time in NCAA history that a top 10 AP team had lost to an FCS opponent (I THINK the only other time was when App State went o the big house and knocked off Michigan).

All credit to Jax State, but I suspect that Auburn is greatly overrated. I think that just goes to show how hard it is to read too much into an opening game. A week earlier, I thought Louisville was fairly impressive in that they came within a TD of Auburn ... but this week, we not only have reason to believe Auburn is not that great, but we see Louisville lost at home to a so-so Houston team.

The week's one top 10 matchup was outstanding -- Michigan State holding off Oregon in the finals seconds. And Miss State almost came all the way back against LSU, missing a potential game-winning 52-yard FG on the game's final play.

The ACC went 10-2 over the weekend -- the only losses were Virginia to Notre Dame and Louisville to Houston. Clemson and Georgia Tech continued to dominate against weaker opponents (although App State and Tulane were better than last week's victims, Wofford and Alcorn State). FSU didn't look as overpowering against South Florida as they did in week one. For one thing, Everett Golson was horrible in the first half (I think 1-of-7 or something like that). But he got in back in the second against and along with Davon Cook (266 yards rushing) unstoppable, they finally pilled away.

The one big turnaround was Boston College -- after struggling to beat Maine in the opener, they blitzed Howard, 76-0, in game two. After two FCS victims, the Eagles get Florida State this week.

In fact, a lot of good ACC matchups this week .. five games between the Coastal Division and the Big Ten ... plus Georgia Tech at Notre Dame.

Tripping William
09-13-2015, 02:37 PM
Exhibit A: Toledo over Arkansas

Exhibit B: What Oly said

Exhibit C: Mizzou's escape from Ark St

Exhibit D: UTK's collapse at home against OU

So much invincibility, so little time.

A-Tex Devil
09-14-2015, 12:44 PM
Exhibit A: Toledo over Arkansas

Exhibit B: What Oly said

Exhibit C: Mizzou's escape from Ark St

Exhibit D: UTK's collapse at home against OU

So much invincibility, so little time.

Yeah.... last year was a perfect storm of overrating the SEC with the SEC winning all important non-conference games (to SEC's credit), then having the upstart teams upset the stalwarts, with the stalwarts storming back at the end. The Thanksgiving ACC sweep followed by bowl season promptly kicked the legs out from under that chair.

My hope is, after that first week ridiculousness of 10 teams in the top 25, things will settle a bit. There are 7 now, right? All of Florida, Mizzou and Auburn could fall out over the course of the next few weeks. Texas A&M is going to be the Ole Miss/Miss St. of this year, I think, as they only get SoCar and Vandy in the east and have Bama and Auburn at home. Plus, Aggies' offense may be the best in the country once it gets going and their defense looks legit (although hard to tell right now).

To Oly's post, don't sleep on Houston. Tom Hermann (former Ohio St. OC) is the coach there and is already changing the culture there. He has some long term, if pushing unrealistic, plans for the place (i.e. recruiting like Miami did in the 80s by locking Houston down as much as possible), and they have some great ones for next year. That said, if Charlie Strong can't turn things around at Texas and the alumni base are idiots and let him go, I am sure Hermann will be a target.

Charlie Strong is the real deal, imo, and is dealing with the decay that Mack Brown left in place (look at all the Freshmen playing huge roles). If he isn't given 4 full years it will be a travesty, but unfortunately, I don't think the BSD/BMD donors will stand for a losing season. If people had patience and could look at Louisville in his tenure, he got things going straight into the BCS in year 3, and won his game. His pretty huge misstep with the offensive coordinator position won't help him, though.

Trivia question -- what school has had the most players drafted in the NFL draft the last 4 years (2012-2015)? Florida St. Who was second? Louisville.

Olympic Fan
09-14-2015, 03:16 PM
ESPN (or at least one ESPN columnist) has just declared the Big Ten as the nation's best conference:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13651051/ohio-state-michigan-state-big-ten-looking-dominant-sec-bcs-era

Okay, I buy that Ohio State and Michigan State are legitimate national title contenders, but is that how you rate leagues? The Big Ten has had more bad losses than any other P5 conference -- Penn State to Temple; Purdue to Marshall; Maryland to Bowling Green ... plus some close calls such as Indiana-SMU; Penn State Buffalo ...

Aside from Ohio State and Michigan State, who has looked good? Northwestern (No. 23) and 1-1 Wisconsin (N o. 24) are the only other ranked Big Ten teams.

This week's schedule gives us an amazing chance to measure the ACC Coastal Division against the Big Ten. Five Coastal Division teams will face Big Ten opponents:

Northwestern at Duke
Illinois at UNC
Pitt at Iowa
Virginia Tech at Purdue
Nebraska at Miami

It's almost a mini ACC (Coastal Division)-Big Ten Challenge. It leaves out the two best Big Ten teams (and the three best ACC teams), but also leaves out the weaker Big Ten teams (Penn State, Maryland and Indiana), along with the weaker ACC teams (Wake Forest, Syracuse)

Who will win the challenge?

rsvman
09-14-2015, 04:40 PM
Even though I don't really care about either team, I am setting up the DVR right now to record UCLA-BYU next week to see what Tanner Mangum does when he gets to Pasadena.

Amen!

For those who missed it, BYU beat Boise State on yet ANOTHER Hail Moroni play. Down 4 (I think) with less than two minutes to play, they get to 4th and 7 and they're on the Boise State 40-ish yard line. Tanner takes the snap, moves forward and right to avoid a rusher, and, while running to the right, unleashes a pass across the body that is snatched out of the air in the endzone against two defenders for the game winning touchdown.

On the first Boise State play after the kickoff, the BYU safety gets an interception and returns it all the way to the house to put the icing on the cake.

Still, two weeks and two Hail Moronis! Unbelievable stuff for this BYU team and their new freshman quarterback.

Dev11
09-15-2015, 10:40 AM
Northwestern at Duke
Illinois at UNC
Pitt at Iowa
Virginia Tech at Purdue
Nebraska at Miami

I like this slate because I can assign silly names to them.

The Nerd Bowl
The 2005 National Championship Game*
The 4 Letter Words Bowl
The Engineers Bowl
The 90s

*No champion awarded

Tripping William
09-15-2015, 10:53 AM
Charlie Strong is the real deal, imo, and is dealing with the decay that Mack Brown left in place (look at all the Freshmen playing huge roles). If he isn't given 4 full years it will be a travesty, but unfortunately, I don't think the BSD/BMD donors will stand for a losing season. If people had patience and could look at Louisville in his tenure, he got things going straight into the BCS in year 3, and won his game. His pretty huge misstep with the offensive coordinator position won't help him, though.

Don't really know what exactly it indicates but, FWIW, Charlie Strong outlasted his boss (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/13662471/texas-longhorns-fire-athletic-director-steve-patterson?ex_cid=ESPNFB).

AustinDevil
09-15-2015, 12:32 PM
Don't really know what exactly it indicates but, FWIW, Charlie Strong outlasted his boss (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/13662471/texas-longhorns-fire-athletic-director-steve-patterson?ex_cid=ESPNFB).

Patterson was fired 85% for not getting along with big donors--what does it say when the guy who has the field named after him (Joe Jamail) cancels his suite because he's pissed at the AD--and then 5% each for not getting along with smaller-fish donors (raising ticket prices 20% after last season's performance), not getting along within the University (hoarding LHN money rather than sharing outside the athletic department), and maybe the last share for Strong's slow start this year. Strong's long-term prospects are not good and this is negative for them, but Patterson was fired for being Patterson, not because of Strong.

Wander
09-15-2015, 12:48 PM
Auburn was a 47 point favorite ... it would have been just the second time in NCAA history that a top 10 AP team had lost to an FCS opponent (I THINK the only other time was when App State went o the big house and knocked off Michigan).

Wow - that would have been the biggest upset in college football history. The current record holder is Stanford over USC, the line was about 40 points, while if i remember correctly the Michigan-ASU game was "only" around 35 points. Same year.

You are correct about the stat, though Virginia Tech came close - ranked 13th when they lost to James Madison in 2010, and would have been in the top 10 had Boise State not made a last minute touchdown pass against VT the previous week.

A-Tex Devil
09-15-2015, 11:02 PM
Patterson was fired 85% for not getting along with big donors--what does it say when the guy who has the field named after him (Joe Jamail) cancels his suite because he's pissed at the AD--and then 5% each for not getting along with smaller-fish donors (raising ticket prices 20% after last season's performance), not getting along within the University (hoarding LHN money rather than sharing outside the athletic department), and maybe the last share for Strong's slow start this year. Strong's long-term prospects are not good and this is negative for them, but Patterson was fired for being Patterson, not because of Strong.

I'm torn on the Patterson firing. He clearly made the wrong people mad and nickel and dimed the fans. But he also made some very hard internal decisions that I think will end up being good for the department, and, in my opinion, made 2 excellent hires. I get that Patterson was not an easy guy to deal with, but part of me is concerned that a lot of this has to do with big money donor access more than anything else. They grew comfortable with DeLoss and Mack because those guys allowed unfettered access, which is one of the reasons Mack outstayed his effectiveness by at least 1, if not 4 years resulting in the mess of a team he left Charlie.

I guess ultimately, I'm OK with it, but there is definitely a be careful what you wish for vibe about this. I do know the interim AD -- I was a summer associate at one of his former firms and he was my partner sponsor. He is one of the most salt of the earth, nicest, smartest men I have ever met. I'm not sure what his credentials to be AD are. But if you told me he was doing anything, I'm pretty sure he'd be good at it and make people happy while doing it.

Olympic Fan
09-16-2015, 12:30 AM
I'm torn on the Patterson firing. He clearly made the wrong people mad and nickel and dimed the fans. But he also made some very hard internal decisions that I think will end up being good for the department, and, in my opinion, made 2 excellent hires. I get that Patterson was not an easy guy to deal with, but part of me is concerned that a lot of this has to do with big money donor access more than anything else. They grew comfortable with DeLoss and Mack because those guys allowed unfettered access, which is one of the reasons Mack outstayed his effectiveness by at least 1, if not 4 years resulting in the mess of a team he left Charlie.

I guess ultimately, I'm OK with it, but there is definitely a be careful what you wish for vibe about this. I do know the interim AD -- I was a summer associate at one of his former firms and he was my partner sponsor. He is one of the most salt of the earth, nicest, smartest men I have ever met. I'm not sure what his credentials to be AD are. But if you told me he was doing anything, I'm pretty sure he'd be good at it and make people happy while doing it.

I understand there was more than making tough choices. When he announced the rise in ticket prices, he bolding announced that it was a six percent increase ... but after filing a freedom of information request, a Texas newspaper discovered that the real increase was closer to 25 percent. A tough choice is one thing. Dishonesty is another.

BTW, I hear a lot of people suggesting that Mack Brown is a candidate for the job. Also hearing Oliver Luck's name thrown around. As long as it's not Kevin White, I don't care.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-16-2015, 08:25 AM
I understand there was more than making tough choices. When he announced the rise in ticket prices, he bolding announced that it was a six percent increase ... but after filing a freedom of information request, a Texas newspaper discovered that the real increase was closer to 25 percent. A tough choice is one thing. Dishonesty is another.

BTW, I hear a lot of people suggesting that Mack Brown is a candidate for the job. Also hearing Oliver Luck's name thrown around. As long as it's not Kevin White, I don't care.
Not to derail this discussion but don't we want Luck to stay put at the NCAA for now?

AustinDevil
09-16-2015, 08:56 AM

As an ardent anti-Longhorn, I was glad Patterson was causing relationship conflict all over the place. Also as an ardent anti-Longhorn, I really hope they replace him with Mack, because I think Mack would be a poor choice for other reasons.

AustinDevil
09-16-2015, 08:59 AM
The Big Ten has had more bad losses than any other P5 conference -- Penn State to Temple; Purdue to Marshall; Maryland to Bowling Green ... plus some close calls such as Indiana-SMU; Penn State Buffalo ...

Indiana had a close call against Southern Illinois. They have a current series with SMU basketball, but not football.

A-Tex Devil
09-16-2015, 12:08 PM
Not to derail this discussion but don't we want Luck to stay put at the NCAA for now?

I think the ship sailed with Luck when UT picked Patterson over him. He's now in Indy, near his kid, being groomed for NCAA president. Texas whiffed on him and he's on to bigger and better things.

devildeac
09-16-2015, 12:56 PM
I think the ship sailed with Luck when UT picked Patterson over him. He's now in Indy, near his kid, being groomed for NCAA president. Texas whiffed on him and he's on to bigger and better things.

Does he own one of these:

Olympic Fan
09-16-2015, 05:08 PM
Interesting odds for this weekend's ACC/Big Ten Challenge:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

Four of the five ACC teams are favored:

Duke over Northwestern -- 3 1/2 (it opened at Duke by 1)
UNC over Illinois -- 9 1/2 (it opened at 5 1/2)
VPI over Purdue -- 5 1/2 (it opened at 6)
Miami over Nebraska -- 5 (opened at 3 1/2)

and

Iowa over Pitt -- 3 (opened at 5 1/2)

Also, interesting that Georgia Tech is favored by 1 over Notre Dame (opened at 3 1/2)

If the odds hold, it could be a very good weekend for the ACC.

Olympic Fan
09-18-2015, 03:20 PM
Anybody else see the Clemson-Louisville game Thursday night?

Louisville played them surprisingly tough ... that was the worst performance I've seen from Deshaun Watson (aside from injury issues). The Tigers were lucky to escape with a 20-17 win (with the 'Ville kicker missing a late mid-range field goal that would have tied).

Louisville is now 0-3 and in real trouble. They got a gimmie coming up next weekend (Samford -- that's the small school with the 'm' not the Pac 12 power with the 'n'), but the next two after that are at NC State and at Florida State. They could easily be 1-5 at the halfway mark.

Clemson, which had five starters out for various reasons, has a week off to get ready for their next one -- Notre Dame ... with Georgia Tech after that.

Intriguing game tonight -- FSU at Boston College. Last year's game was a thriller at FSU. Both teams rebuilding ... but BC's performance against the 'Noles should give us a good idea of what we'll face in a few weeks when the Eagles visit Durham.

OldPhiKap
09-18-2015, 03:34 PM
Anybody else see the Clemson-Louisville game Thursday night?

Louisville played them surprisingly tough ... that was the worst performance I've seen from Deshaun Watson (aside from injury issues). The Tigers were lucky to escape with a 20-17 win (with the 'Ville kicker missing a late mid-range field goal that would have tied).

Louisville is now 0-3 and in real trouble. They got a gimmie coming up next weekend (Samford -- that's the small school with the 'm' not the Pac 12 power with the 'n'), but the next two after that are at NC State and at Florida State. They could easily be 1-5 at the halfway mark.

Clemson, which had five starters out for various reasons, has a week off to get ready for their next one -- Notre Dame ... with Georgia Tech after that.

Intriguing game tonight -- FSU at Boston College. Last year's game was a thriller at FSU. Both teams rebuilding ... but BC's performance against the 'Noles should give us a good idea of what we'll face in a few weeks when the Eagles visit Durham.

I like that we get GT between ND and Clemson.

Olympic Fan
09-18-2015, 03:40 PM
I like that we get GT between ND and Clemson.

Great point ... wouldn't it beat neat if they beat Notre Dame and Clemson, but lost to us!

OldPhiKap
09-18-2015, 03:42 PM
Great point ... wouldn't it beat neat if they beat Notre Dame and Clemson, but lost to us!

That would be dandy. But first things first. Go GT, Go Duke, Go whoever is playing UNCheat.

duke blue brewcrew
09-18-2015, 04:12 PM
That would be dandy. But first things first. Go GT, Go Duke, Go whoever is playing UNCheat.

Per Oly's post above, that would be Illinois. I hope the ACC goes 5-1 in the challenge. GO ILLINI! GO DUKE! GET'R DUN!

Olympic Fan
09-18-2015, 11:42 PM
Sluggish win for FSU tonight ... beautiful opening drive for the 'Noles, then no offense at all.

They win 14-0 after getting a defensive TD late.

I was mostly watching BC since we get them in two weeks. Based on this game, it looks like they have a great defense --especially the front seven -- and a great punter. The placekicker never got on the field -- supposedly that's a weak spot. But that front seven -- they dominated FSU up front, shutting down the running game and pressuring Golson all night. The defense has given up one touchdown in three games (admittedly, two of those games against weak FCS foes).

Offensively, BC looked like a hot mess. They wanted to run the ball between the tackles, but couldn't open any holes against the FSU front. The passing game was fairly anemic too. The Eagles lost their QB (Wade) late ... it was an ankle injury. Not sure how serious it was.

I think the offensive problems may be real -- they struggled a lot offensively in their opener against Maine. The 72 points against Howard has helped their stats, but is apparently an illusion created by a hapless opponent.

Anyway, it's likely to be a low scoring game when BC visits Wade in two weeks.

duke blue brewcrew
09-19-2015, 10:10 AM
Sluggish win for FSU tonight ... beautiful opening drive for the 'Noles, then no offense at all.

They win 14-0 after getting a defensive TD late.

I was mostly watching BC since we get them in two weeks. Based on this game, it looks like they have a great defense --especially the front seven -- and a great punter. The placekicker never got on the field -- supposedly that's a weak spot. But that front seven -- they dominated FSU up front, shutting down the running game and pressuring Golson all night. The defense has given up one touchdown in three games (admittedly, two of those games against weak FCS foes).

Offensively, BC looked like a hot mess. They wanted to run the ball between the tackles, but couldn't open any holes against the FSU front. The passing game was fairly anemic too. The Eagles lost their QB (Wade) late ... it was an ankle injury. Not sure how serious it was.

I think the offensive problems may be real -- they struggled a lot offensively in their opener against Maine. The 72 points against Howard has helped their stats, but is apparently an illusion created by a hapless opponent.

Anyway, it's likely to be a low scoring game when BC visits Wade in two weeks.

I agree. The BC D is for real, and the FSU offense looked awful for most of the game. The BC offense looked awful for ALL of the game, with the opening drive and a late turnover for a score being the difference for FSU.

That BC D will be heck to deal with in a couple of weeks, and there's still a lot to learn about this year's Duke team. As of this moment I give a slight advantage to the Blue Devils in that match-up. Duke's offense has a lot more things clicking currently than BC, and Duke gets the edge on special teams as well. Duke's D has gotten off to a great start, and as of now seems to be further along than the BC offense. Especially when you consider the unknown at the QB position for the Eagles.

Wander
09-19-2015, 05:00 PM
Ohio State tied with Northern Illinois at halftime. Awesome, except Mike Patrick thinks we shouldn't trust football data because the statistics are "compiled by guys who wear socks with flip flops."

loran16
09-19-2015, 06:27 PM
Georgia Tech looks like they're going to lose to Notre Dame. The ND D has stifled them, and GT being unable to kick a FG to try and chip at the lead has hurt.

Going to be two ACC teams wanting to rebound bad next week.

Olympic Fan
09-19-2015, 06:56 PM
Georgia Tech looks like they're going to lose to Notre Dame. The ND D has stifled them, and GT being unable to kick a FG to try and chip at the lead has hurt.

Going to be two ACC teams wanting to rebound bad next week.

Duke and Georgia Tech coming off ugly losses to ranked teams -- but everybody else in the ACC is doing well (okay, Syracuse had to go into OT to beat CMU and Wake had to kick a field goal on the last play of the game to edge Army). Miami drilling Nebraska, VPI kills Purdue at Purdue and UNC routs Illinois (ugh!).

TruBlu
09-19-2015, 07:13 PM
A Notre Dame player injured his knee while landing awkwardly during a celebratory jump after a good play near the end of the first half. I don't know the extent of the injury, but hopefully it's not serious.

Someone, somewhere (if it hasn't happened already) is going to end a promising career in this manner.

I know I cringe anytime one or more of our players (in any sport) engage in rough celebrations. High Fives, or a good old fashioned backslap or handshake seems to be a better choice.

Tom B.
09-19-2015, 07:23 PM
A Notre Dame player injured his knee while landing awkwardly during a celebratory jump after a good play near the end of the first half. I don't know the extent of the injury, but hopefully it's not serious.

Someone, somewhere (if it hasn't happened already) is going to end a promising career in this manner.

I know I cringe anytime one or more of our players (in any sport) engage in rough celebrations. High Fives, or a good old fashioned backslap or handshake seems to be a better choice.

It didn't end his career, but remember Bill Grammatica? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK81Ej5hm8s)

Indoor66
09-19-2015, 07:24 PM

Those violent fist throws can tear a rotator cuff or a shoulder muscle as well. We see those moves on the basketball court quite often and I cringe each time.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-19-2015, 07:56 PM
Al Golden narrowly missed getting fired this evening. Miami was up 33-10 with 11 minutes or so left. Golden has a reputation for not being able to hold onto a lead, and so, of course, Nebraska came back to tie the game.

Then Nebraska throws an INT and gets a personal foul on the first play of OT and thus Golden is saved. But despite the win, he's undoubtedly closer to being fired now then he was one hour ago. The whole Miami press corps was calling for his firing on Twitter, including a few people who had previously been advising patience.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-19-2015, 07:59 PM
It didn't end his career, but remember Bill Grammatica? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK81Ej5hm8s)

Also, Kendrys Morales.

pfrduke
09-20-2015, 01:27 AM
Hotty Toddy. Everything needed to break right for the Rebels to win, but win they did, and in Bryant-Denny no less. That may be the most impressive victory of the season until the playoff rolls around.

Olympic Fan
09-20-2015, 02:05 AM
Hotty Toddy. Everything needed to break right for the Rebels to win, but win they did, and in Bryant-Denny no less. That may be the most impressive victory of the season until the playoff rolls around.

Having a plus five TO margin helped ... not knocking that -- great win by Ole Miss.

Watching the game and other highlights gave me one thought -- the best SEC teams are playing with ACC rejects at QB. Ole Miss-Bama was Chad Kelly (who got beat out at Clemson) vs. Jake Coker (a backup at FSU). Georgia got a great game today from Virginia reject Greyson Lambert, although it was against a terrible South Carolina team. Interesting.

Other observations:

-- The ACC won the Big Ten Challenge 3-2, even though Miami did their best to choke the game with Nebraska away. They have a 33-10 lead in the fourth quarter and they're throwing the ball all over the place, stopping the clock and giving the Huskers a chance to rally. I was also ticked off by Pitt's loss at Iowa. Two things bothered me -- first, it was when Pitt rallied from a 17-7 deficit to tie the game at 17 (on a blocked punt). They have all the momentum in the world ... they're driving for the go-ahead score with 10 minutes left. They have a fourth and six inches at the Iowa 42 ... Narduzzi sends his offense out there, then runs that BS shifting scheme to draw Iowa offside -- that never works. Pitt takes a delay penalty, punts the ball away and suddenly Iowa has all the momentum. They march down and get the go-ahead TD. Pitt has a great answering drive and they score to tie the game with under a minute left. Then they play prevent and let Iowa get in position for a 57-yard field goal. And here's the second thing that bothered me -- Narduzzi tries that NFL trick of calling a timeout just before the kick to ice the kicker. But he waits too long and the Iowa kicker essentially gets a free practice kick -- which he misses. After the time out, the kid nails the real kick. How many times have you seen that happen?

-- My heart goes out to Charlie Strong and Texas. They have a great rally to tie Cal at 45-all ... only they don't cause their placekicker misses the tying extra point. Gut-wrenching 45-44 loss.

-- Toledo, which beat Arkansas last week, beat Iowa State in double T after the ISU kicker -- supposedly a stud -- chokes a chip shot field goal at the end of regulation.

-- BYU"s Mangum finally ran out of magic. The kid with the two hail mary touchdowns in the first two weeks had BYU in the lead vs. No. 10 UCLA for most of the game. But UCLA scores with 3:21 left to go up 24-23. Mangum marches BYU from its own 15 to the UCLA 42 ... just out of field goal range. On fourth and seven with a minute left, Mangum scrambles ... and throws an interception. Too bad.

-- Obviously a great night of watching college football (with a few look-ins on the Pirates-Dodgers). The only negative was watching the ESPN crawl -- since Duke played a top 25 team, I had to be reminded every five minutes of Saturday's score ...

BigWayne
09-20-2015, 04:18 AM
-- BYU"s Mangum finally ran out of magic. The kid with the two hail mary touchdowns in the first two weeks had BYU in the lead vs. No. 10 UCLA for most of the game. But UCLA scores with 3:21 left to go up 24-23. Mangum marches BYU from its own 15 to the UCLA 42 ... just out of field goal range. On fourth and seven with a minute left, Mangum scrambles ... and throws an interception. Too bad.

Yep. Just skipped to the end of this one on the DVR and saw BYU having to make a final drive again and was thinking here comes 3 in a row. Alas, the time ran out on Cinderella this time.

Thankfully, Chad Kelly did a reasonable job of filling in for this week's amazing play. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHQ9Fiiqu8k)

Olympic Fan
09-25-2015, 02:27 PM
Anybody else watch last night's Memphis-Cincinnati game?

I know, it's not really an important game and I was planning to watch baseball. But checking in on it, I saw that something extraordinary was happening.

It was not just the final score -- Memphis won 53-46. I've seen higher scoring games. But what made this game amazing were the lead changes. There were 12 lead changes in the game. Check the scoring summary:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/game?gameId=400764870

I've never seen that before. The two teams passed for over 1,000 yards between them ... Cincinnati's freshman backup came in the game after Gunner Kiel was seriously hurt and threw for 554 yards. Memphis scored with 53 seconds to take the lead, but Cincinnati drove down to just inside the Memphis 20 with 25 seconds left. But on the next play, the Cincy QB throws under pressure, the ball is tipped and intercepted.

Interesting game tonight -- Boise State at Virginia. I'm very curious about Virginia ... they were good enough to take Notre Dame to the wire, but they were barely able to hang on to beat William & Mary.

Bob Green
09-25-2015, 04:02 PM
Anybody else watch last night's Memphis-Cincinnati game?

I watched the start of the game before switching over to the Redskins - Giants. The hit on Kiel was questionable because Kiel had already started his slide when the Memphis defensive back hit him high with his shoulder. The hit was ruled targeting with an automatic ejection on the field but overruled on replay.

The good news is Kiel appears okay. He was released from Methodist Hospital and is back with the team.

Wander
09-25-2015, 04:07 PM
Interesting game tonight -- Boise State at Virginia. I'm very curious about Virginia ... they were good enough to take Notre Dame to the wire, but they were barely able to hang on to beat William & Mary.

A nonconference schedule of UCLA, Notre Dame, and Boise State for Virginia? Geez. One of my least favorite parts of college football that doesn't get talked about is how ridiculously far in advance schedules are made. Who knows how good anyone is going to be in 10 years? I like seeing ranked teams play hard non-conference schedules, but it seems sort of brutal and pointless for a team like UVA.

OldPhiKap
09-25-2015, 04:50 PM
A nonconference schedule of UCLA, Notre Dame, and Boise State for Virginia? Geez. One of my least favorite parts of college football that doesn't get talked about is how ridiculously far in advance schedules are made. Who knows how good anyone is going to be in 10 years? I like seeing ranked teams play hard non-conference schedules, but it seems sort of brutal and pointless for a team like UVA.

Especially since they told Mike London that he needs a winning season to keep his job. ND is semi-conference so you can't help that, but the other two are crazy.

arnie
09-25-2015, 04:56 PM

Of course that's the logic NC State (and others) use to defend their pitiful schedules. It's not difficult to guess that Troy, Eastern Kentucky, Old Dominion and South Alabama will be poor-to-fair in any 10 year period. Whomever set up UVA's schedule had a pretty good idea that UCLA and Boise State would be competitive. The Notre Dame game was added by the conference, which really makes it difficult. Of course, we go to Northwestern and then go to Notre Dame in consecutive weeks next year.

Tom B.
09-25-2015, 11:01 PM

Wow, this is ugly. Boise State is leading 49-14, and we've still got most of the fourth quarter to play. UVa has turned it over five times, including two pick-sixes. Most of the crowd has deserted the stadium -- actually, most of them left after the pick-six that made it 46-14, which was still in the third quarter.

ETA: About 30 seconds after I posted this, Boise scored again. Now 56-14.

budwom
09-26-2015, 08:40 AM
Wow, this is ugly. Boise State is leading 49-14, and we've still got most of the fourth quarter to play. UVa has turned it over five times, including two pick-sixes. Most of the crowd has deserted the stadium -- actually, most of them left after the pick-six that made it 46-14, which was still in the third quarter.

ETA: About 30 seconds after I posted this, Boise scored again. Now 56-14.

Bad coach (good recruiter, but still...) + ridiculous overscheduling = disastrous outcome. Who will the next coach be?

Tom B.
09-26-2015, 09:37 AM
Bad coach (good recruiter, but still...) + ridiculous overscheduling = disastrous outcome. Who will the next coach be?

This was a disaster for UVa from literally the first snap. UVa received the opening kickoff, and on its first play from scrimmage, QB Mike Johns threw a pick-six (actually it looked like he was hit as he threw and the ball kind of wobbled out, right into the arms of a defensive end who ran it back for a TD). Fifteen seconds into the game, and Boise led 7-0. And it was all downhill for UVa from there. Given the ineptitude on display last night, I have no idea how UVa almost knocked off Notre Dame.

Tripping William
09-26-2015, 06:39 PM
Speaking of the Commonwealth of Virginia, VPISU is gonna need a miracle to get past the Purple Pirates.

Wander
09-26-2015, 07:13 PM
Virginia Tech probably wants to stop scheduling East Carolina.

Wander
09-26-2015, 07:16 PM
Addendum to above: Texas probably wants to just stop playing football entirely. (punter goofs in a tie game with like 30 seconds left to give up a sure overtime try and hand a game-winning field goal to OSU)

Olympic Fan
09-26-2015, 07:34 PM
Addendum to above: Texas probably wants to just stop playing football entirely. (punter goofs in a tie game with like 30 seconds left to give up a sure overtime try and hand a game-winning field goal to OSU)

I was watching that -- it was worse than that.

Texas was up 27-24 with under two minutes left and OSU was stalled because their QB was hurt and couldn't throw and Texas was smashing he run. They get a stop near midfield, but the refs give OSU life with a bogus defensive holding call. That's bad enough, but Charlie Strong goes berzerk and draws a 15-yard penalty for screaming at a ref. That puts OSU in field goal range and after three runs net nothing, they kick the game-tying field goal with just over a minute left.

The they kick off to Texas and and the Longhorns go three and out and are going to punt it was with 20 seconds left when the punter muffs a good snap and gives them the ball inside the 20.

Final: OSU 30-Texas 27 ... a soul crushing loss.

Also, did you see that UNC's great Big Ten victim (Illinois) dodged a bullet at home to Middle Tennesee? Down 25-24, Illinois gets a 51-yard field goal with two minutes left. But Middle Tennessee drives right down -- despite some spectacular clock mismanagement -- and had a 43 yard kick with 08 seconds left to win ... and they miss it.

Well, back to TCU-Texas Tech ... that's a great one, back and forth all day.

Tripping William
09-26-2015, 07:39 PM
Florida got the miracle VPI needed, keeping alive their decade-long win streak against UTK.

Wander
09-26-2015, 07:42 PM
Also, did you see that UNC's great Big Ten victim (Illinois) dodged a bullet at home to Middle Tennesee? Down 25-24, Illinois gets a 51-yard field goal with two minutes left. But Middle Tennessee drives right down -- despite some spectacular clock mismanagement -- and had a 43 yard kick with 08 seconds left to win ... and they miss it.

I missed that, but I noticed Minnesota needing a last-minute touchdown to beat Ohio. I would not be surprised to see Duke-vanquisher Northwestern do far better than expected and win their Big 10 division...

reversethepolarity
09-26-2015, 09:30 PM
Did anyone else see the ending of the TCU/TTU game? That was crazy, I was really hoping TTU would pull it off.

Olympic Fan
09-26-2015, 09:40 PM
Did anyone else see the ending of the TCU/TTU game? That was crazy, I was really hoping TTU would pull it off.

Great game -- TCU 55, Texas Tech 52.

TCU is trailing and facing fourth and goal with under 30 seconds left ... Boykin's pass to the end zone is high, just off the receiver's fingertips. But the ball deflects to another TCU receiver in the back of the end zone for the go-ahead TD with 23 seconds left.

Texas Tech starts on its own 25 with 23 seconds and no timeouts left. They get to their 35, but on the last play, the Hail Mary try is intercepted at the goal line. But wait, TCU is called for roughing the passer, so Tech gets one untimed play from midfield. Their QB (Mahones) is limping on one leg, but he scrambles around back there like Fran Tarkenton. Finally, with a defender hanging on his leg, he finds a wide open receiver at about the TCU 35 ... the Raiders proceed to lateral the ball four times (at one point, an offensive tackle handles it), but their last ballcarrier is forced out of bounds at the TCU 10 ... and they win.

One of the most bizarre endings -- both the TCU touchdown and the near Texas Tech score.

BTW -- one week after beating Bama at Bama, Ole Miss is tied with Vanderbilt late in the third quarter.

jimsumner
09-26-2015, 11:18 PM
Somebody is going to have to explain that defensive holding call on Texas at the end of their loss to Ok. State.

And is UCLA the best team in the country? They are seriously eviscerating Arizona.

loran16
09-26-2015, 11:33 PM
Somebody is going to have to explain that defensive holding call on Texas at the end of their loss to Ok. State.

And is UCLA the best team in the country? They are seriously eviscerating Arizona.

Utah doing the same to Oregon is just as impressive (At Oregon no less). That Pac-12 game is going to be incredible.

jimsumner
09-26-2015, 11:46 PM
Northwestern just escaped Ball State, 24-19.

huey
09-27-2015, 12:01 AM
Any thoughts if we'll crack the 25 with how the other games played out?

loran16
09-27-2015, 12:03 AM

No chance. We have a home loss and GT will fall out.

brevity
09-27-2015, 12:45 AM

No chance. We have a home loss and GT will fall out.

Ranked teams that lost (AP poll): #13 Oregon, #16 Arizona, #20 Georgia Tech, #22 BYU, #25 Missouri. The two Pac-12 teams lost big at home to other ranked Pac-12 teams. The other three were upset by unranked Duke (3-1), Michigan (3-1), and Kentucky (3-1).

Seems safe to say that the Top 25 has 3 openings. Too early in the season to try to compare unranked teams, so I'll just guess West Virginia (3-0), Mississippi State (3-1), and California (4-0).

A-Tex Devil
09-28-2015, 12:48 PM
I was watching that -- it was worse than that.

Texas was up 27-24 with under two minutes left and OSU was stalled because their QB was hurt and couldn't throw and Texas was smashing he run. They get a stop near midfield, but the refs give OSU life with a bogus defensive holding call. That's bad enough, but Charlie Strong goes berzerk and draws a 15-yard penalty for screaming at a ref. That puts OSU in field goal range and after three runs net nothing, they kick the game-tying field goal with just over a minute left.

The they kick off to Texas and and the Longhorns go three and out and are going to punt it was with 20 seconds left when the punter muffs a good snap and gives them the ball inside the 20.

Final: OSU 30-Texas 27 ... a soul crushing loss.

Well, back to TCU-Texas Tech ... that's a great one, back and forth all day.

I was at Texas game, then watched it from home to see if calls were as bad as I thought. They were worse. The defensive holding call was the first time I've EVER seen a DL get called for holding on a running play. Ever. While it is possible (a DT grabbing a guard at line of scrimmage to prevent him from getting to second level LBs), the DL *is* allowed to grab the blocker he is engaged with to thrown him off. When looking at tape, Poona Ford was 8 yards down field getting double teamed and away from the play. And the ref threw at end of play, not beginning when guy was engaged. It was insane. And Charlie shouldn't have gotten himself flagged, but he was pursued not once, but twice by the official. Charlie was trying to walk away and the Line Judge wouldn't let him. Texas has averaged 13.5 penalties a game with this crew over past several years. All other crews, it's about 6. This is also the same crew that more or less jobbed Baylor at WVU last year.

That poor, poor punter, tho.....

Olympic Fan
09-28-2015, 01:10 PM
Ranked teams that lost (AP poll): #13 Oregon, #16 Arizona, #20 Georgia Tech, #22 BYU, #25 Missouri. The two Pac-12 teams lost big at home to other ranked Pac-12 teams. The other three were upset by unranked Duke (3-1), Michigan (3-1), and Kentucky (3-1).

Seems safe to say that the Top 25 has 3 openings. Too early in the season to try to compare unranked teams, so I'll just guess West Virginia (3-0), Mississippi State (3-1), and California (4-0).

Obviously, Duke didn't crack either poll after the Georgia Tech win.

But the Devils did move up after getting no votes the week before. Duke was No. 32 in the coaches poll with 44 votes ... No. 33 in the AP.

Not sure we are positioned to crack the top 25 by beating Boston College. But with Boston College, Army and an off-week coming up where I don't THINK Duke will lose (obviously, BC could do it), there's a good chance we could crack one or both polls before the trip to Virginia Tech.

On another subject: I was watching part of the LSU-Syracuse game. To me, that game just illustrated how grossly overrated the SEC is. We have one of the league's powers taking on one of the ACC's lightweights -- that was playing with it's FIFTH-TEAM quarterback -- and coming away with a 34-24 win. Not an embarrassing performance, but hardly an impressive one.

But the commentators were making it sound like the Tigers were beating the Syracuse teams of Jim Brown or Ernie Davis. This is a BAD Syracuse team, especially with its top two QBs out of action. I especially loved the comment one of the announcers made: "Syracuse has never seen speed like this!" Well, this year that's true -- they've only faced a bad Rhode Island team (1-11 in the FCS last year), a bad Wake Forest team and a bad Central Michigan team. But they have faced an FSU team that was No. 1 in the nation the last two years (and national champs in 2013). They've faced Clemson every year in the ACC. They faced Louisville last year -- and all three of those teams sent more players to the NFL draft last season than LSU -- FSU (11), Louisville (10), Clemson (5) and LSU (4). Yeah, I think Syracuse has seen speed like that before -- and wil, again later this season.

BTW, I think Leonard Fournette is awfully good -- but 244 yards against Syracuse is about as impressive as the 245 yards that Shaun Wilson gained against Kansas last year.

Let's see how FSU and Clemson (and NC State for that matter) handle Syracuse before we start anointing LSU for a 10-point win over the ACC's second or third worst team.

sagegrouse
09-28-2015, 09:18 PM
Texas has averaged 13.5 penalties a game with this crew over past several years. All other crews, it's about 6. This is also the same crew that more or less jobbed Baylor at WVU last year.

That poor, poor punter, tho.....

Are they the same guys that did Duke-UConn in 2004 at the Alamodome?

devildeac
09-28-2015, 11:01 PM
Are they the same guys that did Duke-UConn in 2004 at the Alamodome?

That wound still hurts every time it's ripped open:mad:.

Bob Green
09-30-2015, 11:37 AM
http://hamptonroads.com/2015/09/virginia-techs-kendall-fuller-out-season#_ga=1.121109709.491670627.1443461590

Virginia Tech announced Wednesday that All-American cornerback Kendall Fuller had surgery on his bothersome right knee Tuesday and will miss the rest of the 2015 season.

budwom
09-30-2015, 12:37 PM
http://hamptonroads.com/2015/09/virginia-techs-kendall-fuller-out-season#_ga=1.121109709.491670627.1443461590

wow, that kid is a beast, sorry he's hurt, but it's beneficial we won't have to face him.

Olympic Fan
09-30-2015, 04:38 PM
A few other ACC notes, if anybody is interested:

-- Going into this week's games, the ACC boasts five of the nation's top 10 defenses. Boston College is No. 1, NC State is No. 3; FSU is No. 8; Clemson is No. 9 and Duke is No. 10.

-- FSU will be going for its 26th straight ACC win when the Seminoles visit Wake Forest Saturday. That would be the second-longest ACC win streak in history, passing the 25 straight that FSU won between 1998 and 2001 under Bobby Bowden. The longest streak -- Bowden's 29 straight between 1992 and 1995 -- is within reach. FSU has to get by the Deacs, Miami at home and Louisville at home. If they win those, they can tie the record at Georgia Tech. If they get that one, the record-setting 30th straight will be easy -- Syracuse in Tallahassee. The toughest test will be No. 31 -- at Clemson on Nov. 7.

-- Interesting matchup in Atlanta this weekend. North Carolina has definitely improved its defense over last season, but the Tar Heels still rank last in the ACC on rushing defense, allowing 228.8 yards a game on the ground -- and that's with two of its four opponents FCS schools. UNC will be facing the ACC's No. 1 rushing offense this week. Even though Georgia Tech struggled against Duke's defense, the Jackets are still averaging 326.0 yards a game on the ground. Interesting matchup -- a year ago, the Jackets rushed for 376 yards (and had 611 yards total offense) against UNC, but still lost a 48-43 shootout.

-- Virginia has not forced a single turnover in four games this year. Last season, the Cavs forced 29 turnovers -- just one behind the ACC lead (30 by Louisville).

-- If all three Triangle teams win this weekend, Duke, UNC and NC State would be a combined 13-2. That would match the best 15-game start for those the neighbors in the ACC era (they also did it in 1994, when all three teams finished with at least eight wins).

I'm kind of pumped to see Thursday night's Miami at Cincinnati game. A week ago, Cincinnati threw for over 600 yards against Memphis ... and Miami will be playing without its two starting safeties for a half -- like Duke's Johnell Barnes, both were ejected from the last Miami game for targeting penalties.

devildeac
09-30-2015, 04:47 PM
A few other ACC notes, if anybody is interested:

-- Going into this week's games, the ACC boasts five of the nation's top 10 defenses. Boston College is No. 1, NC State is No. 3; FSU is No. 8; Clemson is No. 9 and Duke is No. 10.

-- FSU will be going for its 26th straight ACC win when the Seminoles visit Wake Forest Saturday. That would be the second-longest ACC win streak in history, passing the 25 straight that FSU won between 1998 and 2001 under Bobby Bowden. The longest streak -- Bowden's 29 straight between 1992 and 1995 -- is within reach. FSU has to get by the Deacs, Miami at home and Louisville at home. If they win those, they can tie the record at Georgia Tech. If they get that one, the record-setting 30th straight will be easy -- Syracuse in Tallahassee. The toughest test will be No. 31 -- at Clemson on Nov. 7.

-- Interesting matchup in Atlanta this weekend. North Carolina has definitely improved its defense over last season, but the Tar Heels still rank last in the ACC on rushing defense, allowing 228.8 yards a game on the ground -- and that's with two of its four opponents FCS schools. UNC will be facing the ACC's No. 1 rushing offense this week. Even though Georgia Tech struggled against Duke's defense, the Jackets are still averaging 326.0 yards a game on the ground. Interesting matchup -- a year ago, the Jackets rushed for 376 yards (and had 611 yards total offense) against UNC, but still lost a 48-43 shootout.

-- Virginia has not forced a single turnover in four games this year. Last season, the Cavs forced 29 turnovers -- just one behind the ACC lead (30 by Louisville).

-- If all three Triangle teams win this weekend, Duke, UNC and NC State would be a combined 13-2. That would match the best 15-game start for those the neighbors in the ACC era (they also did it in 1994, when all three teams finished with at least eight wins).

I'm kind of pumped to see Thursday night's Miami at Cincinnati game. A week ago, Cincinnati threw for over 600 yards against Memphis ... and Miami will be playing without its two starting safeties for a half -- like Duke's Johnell Barnes, both were ejected from the last Miami game for targeting penalties.

I'll take a 12-3 start for the 3 Triangle teams. Go Duke! Go NCSU! Go GT! (or GTHc,GTH!)

OldPhiKap
09-30-2015, 05:00 PM
I am hoping first and foremost for another great Duke performance in defense and special teams, and for the offense to get clicking.

Also hoping that Georgia Tech opens up a spray can of whoopbutt on the heels and smacks the everliving daylights out of UNCheat.

Go Duke, Go Jackets!

Bob Green
09-30-2015, 05:57 PM
Shadrach Thornton in trouble again:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article37023939.html

N.C. State running back Shadrach Thornton was arrested after a moped accident near campus on Tuesday night.

Bob Green
09-30-2015, 06:15 PM
And he is off the team:

http://www.wral.com/nc-state-rb-shadrach-thornton-dismissed-following-arrest/14937055/

"It's an unfortunate set of circumstances, but we've made the decision to dismiss Shadrach from our program," NC State head coach Dave Doeren said in a statement.

OldPhiKap
10-01-2015, 10:37 PM
Miami, Cincy. Hmmmmm. Is Miami really this bad?

devildeac
10-01-2015, 10:42 PM

I hope so. Especially a few weeks from now.

;)

Olympic Fan
10-02-2015, 12:17 AM

Considering the talent they had on that team last year (when they won six games) and again this year ... I can understand the Miami fans who hire small planes to fly "Fire Al Golden" banners over the stadium the Canes are playing in every week.

As a Duke fan, I'd be happy with Al Golden, Mike London and Larry Fedora hanging around for the foreseeable future.

duke blue brewcrew
10-02-2015, 03:49 PM
And he is off the team:

http://www.wral.com/nc-state-rb-shadrach-thornton-dismissed-following-arrest/14937055/

He seems like a very talented kid, it's a shame he couldn't keep himself on the right path. NCSU isn't hurting for depth at RB though, their Freshman class alone was LOADED!

Olympic Fan
10-02-2015, 04:38 PM
Interesting lineup of games in the ACC Saturday.

I know he Clemson-Notre Dame game is the headliner and while it's important, it is a non-conference game. The biggest impact, I suspect, is that the winner will be a frontrunner in the Final Four picture, while the loser would be put in a tough makeup role.

More important to the Coastal Division race will be the UNC at Georgia Tech game. A year ago, UNC beat Tech a week after Duke upset them in Atlanta. That one was in Chapel Hill -- UNC has not won in Atlanta for 25 years. Not a decisive game -- after all, a year ago, Georgia Tech lost to Duke and UNC back-to-back and still won the division -- but a game with a huge impact.

All I can say is -- Go Jackets!

Pitt at Virginia Tech is another big Coastal game. First league game for both of them, so again, the loser isn't out or anything. Still, a good indicator of how the race is going to go. Interesting that VPI has been vulnerable to running QBs over the last few seasons -- Pitt beat them a year ago with Voytik running wild and ECU beat them last week with a QB going for 100-plus yards. But the new Pitt coach has replaced Voytik with Peterman -- a fairly immobile drop-back passer -- as the starting QB. I want to see how that works out.

In the Atlantic, FSU and Wake is a no-brainer, but I'm very interested in Louisville at NC State. The Wolfpack is off to a 4-0 start and looks great, but that was against some ver6y weak opponents. I'm very interested to see how they look against a very good (despite their 1-3 start) Louisville team.

Wander
10-03-2015, 03:12 PM
Texas football looks like Duke football from pre-Cutcliffe. Wow.

Tripping William
10-03-2015, 03:57 PM
Northwestern shuts out Minny. Damn, we coulda/shoulda/woulda .....

A-Tex Devil
10-04-2015, 12:12 AM
Texas football looks like Duke football from pre-Cutcliffe. Wow.

That TCU QB and receiver group would have hung 100 on pre-Cutcliffe Duke.

Olympic Fan
10-04-2015, 12:45 AM
Reportedly, a Texas player was tweeting at halftime about transferring .. Charlie Strong's program seems to be in meltdown. The rivalry game with Oklahoma is coming up next week, so 1-5 is a strong possibility. Not to mention a future game with Baylor ... plus Texas Tech, at West Virginia ... they do have a pretty certain win against Kansas still ahead.

Two ACC teams with long bowl streaks are in jeopardy. Georgia Tech has the nation's third longest active bowl streak (18 straight years). But they are now 2-3 with games coming up to FSU, Clemson and Georgia ... not to mention Miami, Va Tech and Pitt. They are in real trouble.

Virginia Tech is also 2-3 at the moment. The Hokies have 22 straight bowls (the second longest active streak). Their schedule is a bit easier, but they still have Duke, UNC, Miami, Georgia Tech, NC State, Boston College (THAT is going to be a low-scoring game) and Virginia. They can win four of those, but it's not a lock.

Right now, UNC seems to be in good shape to challenge us for the Coastal title ... they matched our win against Georgia Tech and have a fairly easy two crossover games with the Atlantic (well, NC State did hammer them a year ago). The Duke-UNC game on Nov. 7 is going to be huge. Pitt is also 1-0 in the ACC, so they are a real threat, although they get Louisville from the Atlantic. Plus, we get them the week after they play Notre Dame (I think that helps). Miami hasn't played an ACC game, but they get FSU and Clemson from the Atlantic, plus, I think they are not that good.

The weekend was disastrous for Georgia Tech. I know they recovered from back-to-back losses to Duke and UNC a year ago to win the division, but they didn't have to face Clemson and FSU last year either. It was almost as bad for NC State, who looked like a power in a 4-0 start against lightweight opposition. But the first solid team that they play -- a 1-3 Louisville team -- they fold up.

Nationally, what happened to Ole Miss -- two weeks after the great win at Alabama, they get destroyed by Florida.

Four top 10 teams lost Saturday (Ole Miss, Georgia, Notre Dame and UCLA) -- and No. 1 Ohio State and No. 2 Michigan State both had to make dramatic last second defensive stands to beat lightweight Big Ten foes.

budwom
10-04-2015, 09:08 AM
Va Tech with all of 100 yards vs Pitt. Fans can't be happy. Could well be another defensive slog when we see them in a few weeks.

Wander
10-04-2015, 10:44 AM
Shout out to the Clemson kicker, for not just making a tackle but forcing a fumble on a kickoff return that led to a touchdown in what ended up being a 2 point game.

OldPhiKap
10-04-2015, 11:29 AM
Although I was obviously pulling for the Buzy Bees over the heels, I do get some satisfaction from the way the AJC and Tech alum are ripping Paul Johnson. He is by all accounts a very unpleasant man.

budwom
10-04-2015, 11:50 AM
Although I was obviously pulling for the Buzy Bees over the heels, I do get some satisfaction from the way the AJC and Tech alum are ripping Paul Johnson. He is by all accounts a very unpleasant man.

Despite his considerable success (not this year) Tech fans have been very torn about him for a long time. Many (as you say) despise him...but he's got a contract thru 2020, so he's unlikely to go anywhere...and saddled
with Paul Hewitt's laughable contract buyout (they owe him $900k/yr for the next four year)...Tech is in little position to buy Johnson out. Too bad!

Olympic Fan
10-04-2015, 12:58 PM
Despite his considerable success (not this year) Tech fans have been very torn about him for a long time. Many (as you say) despise him...but he's got a contract thru 2020, so he's unlikely to go anywhere...and saddled
with Paul Hewitt's laughable contract buyout (they owe him $900k/yr for the next four year)...Tech is in little position to buy Johnson out. Too bad!

Jeez, the guy is one year out from winning 11 games, winning the Coastal Division and ripping Mississippi State in the Orange Bowl. And that was on top of seven years of fairly sustained success (including four division titles, an ACC championship and seven straight bowl games). I know some fans are disgruntled, but talk about buyouts is silly.

On a different note, did anybody else happen to catch the end of the Arizona State-UCLA game?

With ASU leading 29-23 and just over three minutes left, UCLA was facing a punt from its own 5 yardline. The UCLA coach elected to take a safety rather than punt. The announcers praised that as a brilliant move ... well, I don't know. I understand that it helps with field position, but it also increases the deficit to eight points. To win, (1) you've got to stop ASU and get the ball back, (2) drive for a touchdown in the closing seconds, (3) convert a two-point play and (4) win the game in overtime.

Punting the ball away means you have to (1) stop ASU and (2) drive for the winning touchdown and (3) kick the extra point.

I thought it was a terrible decision to take the safety. Obviously, it didn't work as ASU took the kickoff after the safety and drove for an easy TD to win 38-23.

cspan37421
10-04-2015, 01:13 PM
That TCU QB and receiver group would have hung 100 on pre-Cutcliffe Duke.

Well, Spurrier's era was pre-Cutcliffe and I have to think that if TCU could have hung 100 on them, Steve Superior would have hung 109 right back, setting a bunch of records and inventing new trick plays in the process. :)

budwom
10-04-2015, 02:01 PM
Jeez, the guy is one year out from winning 11 games, winning the Coastal Division and ripping Mississippi State in the Orange Bowl. And that was on top of seven years of fairly sustained success (including four division titles, an ACC championship and seven straight bowl games). I know some fans are disgruntled, but talk about buyouts is silly.

On a different note, did anybody else happen to catch the end of the Arizona State-UCLA game?

With ASU leading 29-23 and just over three minutes left, UCLA was facing a punt from its own 5 yardline. The UCLA coach elected to take a safety rather than punt. The announcers praised that as a brilliant move ... well, I don't know. I understand that it helps with field position, but it also increases the deficit to eight points. To win, (1) you've got to stop ASU and get the ball back, (2) drive for a touchdown in the closing seconds, (3) convert a two-point play and (4) win the game in overtime.

Punting the ball away means you have to (1) stop ASU and (2) drive for the winning touchdown and (3) kick the extra point.

I thought it was a terrible decision to take the safety. Obviously, it didn't work as ASU took the kickoff after the safety and drove for an easy TD to win 38-23.

I get your point, but the fact is despite his success, Johnson has been very unpopular in Atlanta for some time. I talked to a lot of locals at the Chicken Bowl game last year, and
a surprising number of Tech fans wanted him gone, even last year.

OldPhiKap
10-04-2015, 03:07 PM
I get your point, but the fact is despite his success, Johnson has been very unpopular in Atlanta for some time. I talked to a lot of locals at the Chicken Bowl game last year, and

I'm not saying they're right, Oly. But budwom is right. PJ is apparently s jerk, and folks feel his recruiting cannot keep up because of the option. GT finished strong last year which calmed some talk down, but now they have lost their last three games and head to Clemson next I think.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-04-2015, 03:11 PM
I'm not saying they're right, Oly. But budwom is right. PJ is apparently s jerk, and folks feel his recruiting cannot keep up because of the option. GT finished strong last year which calmed some talk down, but now they have lost their last three games and head to Clemson next I think.

The current discussions of Paul Johnson are a reminder of how very fortunate Duke is that he walked away from Duke and took the GA Tech job.;)

Olympic Fan
10-04-2015, 06:04 PM

Buddy, I'm sure you are right that you found some disgruntled Georgia Tech fans last year, but that's not surprising -- every school has its share of ridiculous, delusional fans. (BTW: when you say at the Chicken Bowl, do you mean two years ago? We were in the Sun Bowl last year). I'm sure that there are Tech fans who were unhappy with his 11-win, top 10, Orange Bowl winning season.

But that's an indictment of them, not of Johnson.

They are not the only ridiculous fans. I saw it in 1994, when I sat down to dinner with a big UNC booster who spent the meal I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.in' about how Dean had lost it ... yeah, he was one year from a national title (and would have two final fours in the next three years). But the guy was sure "the game has passed him by."

I've seen it from Duke basketball fans ... I used to belong to an e-mail group of big Duke fans. In the two years before 2010, they were so negative about K that I finally had to drop out of the group. Not sure anybody wanted him gone, but there were a lot of people convinced that he had lost the touch and was coaching the wrong way (shooting too many 3s and not playing enough players, mostly) ...

Back to Johnson ... my points is that even if there are a group of fans who are unhappy with him, there is no way that he's under any pressure in Atlanta, even if this year does implode.

PackMan97
10-04-2015, 10:43 PM
State lost the game on their first possession. Had a huge play where we should have had the ball at UofL's 5 for an easy 3 and hopefully 7. Instead, fumbled at UofL recovered. A few plays later their QB breaks a 70 yard TD run and instead of it being 7-0 it's 0-7 and we never really recovered.

:/

duke09hms
10-05-2015, 12:20 AM
State lost the game on their first possession. Had a huge play where we should have had the ball at UofL's 5 for an easy 3 and hopefully 7. Instead, fumbled at UofL recovered. A few plays later their QB breaks a 70 yard TD run and instead of it being 7-0 it's 0-7 and we never really recovered.

:/

It's ok, you can redeem yourselves by beating UNC over Thanksgiving.

We just might need you to lol

Bob Green
10-09-2015, 06:29 AM
Washington Huskies traveled to #17 USC and beat the Trojans 17-12 last night. PAC12 road teams are 9-2 in conference games.

Bob Green
10-09-2015, 07:34 AM
There are five ACC conference games this weekend with the favorite in four of the games giving at least a touchdown. The exception is tonight's NCSU at Virginia Tech game.

NCSU at Virginia Tech - Vegas has the Hokies as a 1.5 points favorite. I like State if they can get their running game rolling. Actually, I just dislike Virginia Tech. This game should provide solid Friday night entertainment. Quarterback Michael Brewer could return to action for VT.

Virginia at Pittsburgh - Panthers favored by 9.5 points. Will another nail be driven into Mike London's coffin? I believe it is not a matter of "if" London will be fired, it is a question of "when" London will be fired. Can he last the season?

Wake Forest at Boston College - Eagles favored by 7.5 points. The only reason this game is interesting is because Wake Forest is on our schedule at the end of the season. The over/under is set at 36.5 points - take the under.

Georgia Tech at Clemson - Tigers favored by 7 points. Can Clemson avoid an emotional let down after beating Notre Dame? Georgia Tech is staring an 0-3 start in conference play in the face.

Miami at Florida State - Seminoles favored by 8.5 points. Florida State has not been overly impressive so far this season but they are 4-0 in the only stat that counts. Al Golden's seat might be hotter than Mike London's seat and that speaks volumes about Golden's situation.

I'll go way out on the end of a limb and predict all five favorites will not win.

OldPhiKap
10-09-2015, 07:47 AM
There are five ACC conference games this weekend with the favorite in four of the games giving at least a touchdown. The exception is tonight's NCSU at Virginia Tech game.

NCSU at Virginia Tech - Vegas has the Hokies as a 1.5 points favorite. I like State if they can get their running game rolling. Actually, I just dislike Virginia Tech. This game should provide solid Friday night entertainment. Quarterback Michael Brewer could return to action for VT.

Virginia at Pittsburgh - Panthers favored by 9.5 points. Will another nail be driven into Mike London's coffin? I believe it is not a matter of "if" London will be fired, it is a question of "when" London will be fired. Can he last the season?

Wake Forest at Boston College - Eagles favored by 7.5 points. The only reason this game is interesting is because Wake Forest is on our schedule at the end of the season. The over/under is set at 36.5 points - take the under.

Georgia Tech at Clemson - Tigers favored by 7 points. Can Clemson avoid an emotional let down after beating Notre Dame? Georgia Tech is staring an 0-3 start in conference play in the face.

Miami at Florida State - Seminoles favored by 8.5 points. Florida State has not been overly impressive so far this season but they are 4-0 in the only stat that counts. Al Golden's seat might be hotter than Mike London's seat and that speaks volumes about Golden's situation.

I'll go way out on the end of a limb and predict all five favorites will not win.

Brewer back for VT would be a big lift for them.

GT needs a win something fierce, I will be impressed (and surprised) if they can get it in Death Vslley.

Miami-FSU has a history of odd upsets. Not calling a Miami win, but would not be stunned. FSU is probably ranked higher than they are playing too.

Good slate.

devildeac
10-09-2015, 08:17 AM

The WFU-BC game matches the #1 overall defense in the country vs the #20 squad. Could be quite the non-slaught:o. Might be a 14-7 game. I agree with Bob. Take the under.

Olympic Fan
10-09-2015, 12:32 PM
From Duke's perspective, we want the following outcomes:

NC State over Virginia Tech -- the Hokies are struggling and are 0-1 in the ACC after losing to Pitt. But NC State is in the Atlantic (and not on our schedule), so a win over VPI would make a Hokie run at the Coastal even more unlikely than it is.

Florida State over Miami -- the Hurricanes are still a very talented team, even if they often underachieve. This is their conference opener, so it is important to hang a loss on them. FSU, we don't have to worry about until the ACC title game (either them or Clemson). Actually, it would be very good for the ACC -- and a better perception of the ACC helps us -- if FSU and Clemson make it to their Nov. 7 matchup both unbeaten and both ranked very high. Plus, as the losses pile up, so does the anti-Golden revolt in Miami and that could cause the 'Canes to melt down before they get to us. So for one night at least, Go 'Noles!

Clemson over Georgia Tech -- A year ago, Georgia Tech bounced back from losses to Duke and UNC and win six ACC games and the division title. One more loss would bury them. I know that a Tech win Saturday would reflect well on us, but I think it's better to knock them out of the race entirely... plus, I still think the perception of the ACC really benefits from a huge Clemson-FSU game on Nov. 7.

Virginia over Pitt -- Okay, I'm not sure about this one. Neither team has an ACC loss ... both are in the Coastal. I think Pitt is the greater threat to challenge Duke for the Coastal title. Still, Virginia has some talent and if they ever get any confidence and momentum, they could be dangerous. Frankly, I won't invest a lot of emotion in this game -- I guess it helps us more if Pitt wins, but I won' be sorry to see the meltdown at Virginia continue.

Boston College over Wake Forest -- Not a lot at stake for us in this one -- both are Atlantic teams. We did just (barely) beat BC and we get Wake Forest to finish the season. Again, BC winning makes us look good. Wake is a very, very young team and they are getting better. Both their quarterbacks are hurting -- both are probably available on a limited basis. If Wolford can play, that probably helps -- the one thing he can do is throw downfield ... and the one place the BC defense is even slightly vulnerable is on downfield passes. On the other hand, Wake can't run on anybody -- they may not get to double digits rushing against the Eagles. It will be an interesting game to gauge Wake's progress, but I really don't think it helps/hurts Duke too much whoever wins.

Bye over UNC -- Well, not much hope in this one ... still (on general principles_ Go Bye Go!

wilson
10-09-2015, 01:02 PM
The WFU-BC game matches the #1 overall defense in the country vs the #20 squad. Could be quite the non-slaught:o. Could be a redux of this. That's kind of what I'm rooting for.

Merlindevildog91
10-09-2015, 01:08 PM
From Duke's perspective, we want the following outcomes:

Bye over UNC -- Well, not much hope in this one ... still (on general principles_ Go Bye Go!

Not a chance. Bye's student athletes have to go to class.

dpslaw
10-09-2015, 05:36 PM
After Duke and Army, my attention will turn to Northwestern and Michigan. Go Cats!

Bob Green
10-10-2015, 03:47 PM
Notre Dame went 3 and out, and Navy marched straight down the field to score a touchdown! Go Navy!

wilson
10-10-2015, 03:55 PM
Nick Chubb appears to be seriously hurt in Knoxville. I doubt he comes back today. If he misses significant time, then Georgia's season could really take a turn for the worse and possibly warm Mark Richt's seat considerably.

n8lbs
10-10-2015, 04:01 PM
Nick Chubb appears to be seriously hurt in Knoxville. I doubt he comes back today. If he misses significant time, then Georgia's season could really take a turn for the worse and possibly warm Mark Richt's seat considerably.

He has to be out for the year, that was gnarly.

ChrisP
10-10-2015, 05:17 PM
Yikes! I thought NW was legit (especially the D) but...0-28 at halftime is not going to get it!

Bob Green
10-10-2015, 05:25 PM
Navy quarterback Keenan Reynolds is injured and in the locker room undergoing X-rays. Navy has 239 yards rushing in the 1st half.

loran16
10-10-2015, 05:27 PM
Ummm, yeah. Ugly.

Wander
10-10-2015, 05:38 PM
Yikes! I thought NW was legit (especially the D) but...0-28 at halftime is not going to get it!

Well, 2 of Michigan's 4 touchdowns are from a pick-six and a kickoff return, so it's not as bad for the Northwestern defense as it looks.

But really, this is just a good example of how hard it is to interpret early season games. Michigan lost on the road at Utah by 7 in their first game. Both teams were unranked at the time... but in retrospect they look like the best teams in the Pac 12 and Big 10, and that game might have in reality been a top 10 match-up.

Bob Green
10-10-2015, 05:53 PM
Notre Dame 1947 Heisman Trophy winner and Navy Veteran John Lujack is in attendance at today's game. That's neat!

jjasper0729
10-10-2015, 06:05 PM
This may be slightly off topic, but I was watching the ND/Navy game and noticed the turf as it came up. Looked it up and Notre Dame switched to fieldturf last season (2014). Is that a sacrilege to not have natural grass under Touchdown Jesus? I remember when Lou Holtz would grow the grass longer to slow down the fast receivers from FSU and Miami. Just doesn't seem right for that to be turf. It's like having astroturf in Fenway or Wrigley.

wilson
10-10-2015, 06:24 PM
Wake just beat BC on a goal-line stand after recovering a BC fumble at their own 1, then fumbling it BACK to BC on their own 11, thus necessitating the game-winning stand. So it turns out devildeac and I were exactly right (see above).

Olympic Fan
10-10-2015, 06:32 PM
Ummm, yeah. Ugly.

Wow ... did anybody else see the finish to this one?

BC -- down 3-0 driving for the go-ahead score with just one a minute left. But on a sneak play from the Wake 5, Flutie fumbles it away.

Wake runs two plays and BC uses its last timeouts. But with 50 seconds left, on third down, Wake fumbles it away at the 11.

Smith of BC runs it down to the one with 30 seconds left. BC is ready to spike the ball, but the refs want to measure for a first down. It is a first and goal at the one with 30 seconds left.

Here's where it really gets crazy .. BC HUDDLES UP (!!???!!!)while the chains are reset and don't get to the line to run a play until about 15-16 seconds left. They run the ball right up the middle and don't get it. They can't unpile in time to clock the ball. Game ends, Wake wins 3-0.

Amazing game all around. Wake had no offense -- their only score came when BC lost a fumble inside their own 5 ... three plays later, Wake is at the 10 and kicks a field goal.

BC misses two chip shot field goals (25 and 31 yards) and has four turnovers against a team that entered the game without a single takeaway.

The MVP of the game was the Wake punter, who averaged 50 yards and little return yardage on 10 punts.

Also, Syracuse getting hammered by UCF -- I told you they weren't any good when they lost by just 10 to a grossly overrated LSU team.

Clemson is embarrassing Georgia Tech -- at least they are out of the Coastal race.

Pitt hung on to beat Virginia by a TD ... now they are tied with us for first in the division.

loran16
10-10-2015, 06:36 PM
Easily the most hilarious ending I've ever seen. BC punts from midfield, Wake returner FIELDS it at hte 4, runs INTO his own end zone, gets back to the 1. Wake gets 3 yards, punts, with about 2 minutes left. BC with two timeouts left.

BC drives to the 7 yard lineand has 3rd and inches with about 1:20 left. BC starts rushing around the 30 yard line since they're in FG range and have time. BC goes for a QB sneak, fumbles. Wake ball. Wake rushes twice, gets nowhere, two BC timeouts, Wake then fumbles on the run, BC recovers at the 11. BC runs twice, and manages to have the QB run to the 1 for a first down. BC then HUDDLES, gets run off with 19 seconds, gets stuffed, never gets another play off.

OldPhiKap
10-10-2015, 06:41 PM
Georgia - Tennessee now tied, early fourth quarter. Wide open.

jimsumner
10-10-2015, 06:53 PM
It's hard to overstate how badly BC managed the clock at the end of the WF game. They actually came to the LOS with about 22-23 seconds left. First down.

Perhaps they had given up on their field-goal kicker by that point. But they had three plays. Spike it on first down and you've got two cracks in the end zone.

Instead they run it up the middle. The play ends with about 12 seconds left. But the Wake defenders refuse to get off the ball carrier and the officials just sort of stand around twiddling their thumbs while the clock runs down to zero.

I confess I'm not sure of the rule on that but I thought the officials had the option of stopping the clock in the event of obvious stalling by the defense.

Guess not.

But look at the previous possession. BC had third and inches at around the six. Quarterback sneak time. But instead of having Smith--their running QB--in, they go with Flutie--their passing QB. He fumbles it away after what looked like minimal contact. What was BC thinking?

BC's defense has allowed zero touchdowns in their last two games and they've lost both of them, in large part because they seem to be simply incapable of kicking a field goal. It seemed like they spent the entire second half inside the Wake Forest 15 and couldn't get a single point out of it.

Just bizarre.

Olympic Fan
10-11-2015, 12:13 AM
Speaking of late-game mismanagement -- did anybody see the end of the Michigan State-Rutgers game?

Rutgers is down seven with seconds remaining ... they get to midfield with under 10 seconds left, but it was fourth down. Their QB lost count of downs and clocked the ball to stop the clock.

It only cost them a chance for a hail mary ... but, hey, it did cost them a chance for a hail mary.

BTW: Watched most of FSU-Miami -- the Noles better be thankful they have Dalvon Cook -- he almost singlehandedly won that game.

brevity
10-11-2015, 12:41 AM
It's hard to overstate how badly BC managed the clock at the end of the WF game.

Speaking of late-game mismanagement -- did anybody see the end of the Michigan State-Rutgers game?

There is no excuse for this. Everyone knows that Roy Williams has put all of his extra timeouts up for sale on eBay.

wilson
10-11-2015, 07:02 PM
Maryland has fired Randy Edsall, touching off all manner of questions about the direction of the program. The money quote in this ESPN writeup, for example?
"Are the Terps ready to compete as a true member of the Big Ten or are they here to collect a paycheck?" Ouch.
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/124966/with-randy-edsall-out-whats-next-for-maryland

devildeac
10-11-2015, 07:10 PM
Maryland has fired Randy Edsall, touching off all manner of questions about the direction of the program. The money quote in this ESPN writeup, for example?
"Are the Terps ready to compete as a true member of the Big Ten or are they here to collect a paycheck?" Ouch.
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/124966/with-randy-edsall-out-whats-next-for-maryland

I'm guessing Butch Davis is available...

:rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
10-11-2015, 07:34 PM
Couldn't happen to a more deserving fan base.

SoCalDukeFan
10-11-2015, 07:47 PM
Sark put on indefinite leave.

Pretty much confirmed that he showed up for practice today drunk.

Unconfirmed that he will be fired. Also that he was drinking before the ASU game.

I am sure that many who read this have had one too many at least once. But how many would go to a job at 12:30 in the afternoon hammered.

SoCal

Tripping William
10-11-2015, 08:04 PM
Sark put on indefinite leave.

Pretty much confirmed that he showed up for practice today drunk.

Unconfirmed that he will be fired. Also that he was drinking before the ASU game.

I am sure that many who read this have had one too many at least once. But how many would go to a job at 12:30 in the afternoon hammered.

SoCal

I have been a Sark fan since 1995 (20 years now). Terribly saddened to hear this news. He is a brilliant football mind, and I hope he can get the help he needs.

sagegrouse
10-11-2015, 08:19 PM
Couldn't happen to a more deserving fan base.

Feinstein (https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/marraige-of-randy-edsall-and-maryland-was-doomed-from-the-start/2015/10/11/13747694-7034-11e5-9cbb-790369643cf9_story.html) on the embarrassment of being Randy Edsall -- wow! What a slam!

sagegrouse
10-11-2015, 08:36 PM

SoCal

I remember when the "three-martini lunch" was not just a myth.

OldPhiKap
10-11-2015, 08:40 PM
Feinstein (https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/marraige-of-randy-edsall-and-maryland-was-doomed-from-the-start/2015/10/11/13747694-7034-11e5-9cbb-790369643cf9_story.html) on the embarrassment of being Randy Edsall -- wow! What a slam!

Brutal. And deserved.

Olympic Fan
10-11-2015, 08:47 PM

The crude departure of Edsall from UConn reminds me of Mack Brown's departure from UNC.

He called his players together on a Sunday night to tell them "You are going to hear a lot of rumors about me in the next few days. I'm here to tell you now, don't believe them. I give you my word, that I am staying at North Carolina."

The very next day, Mack was in Austin, Tex. He was introduced as the new Texas coach 48 hours after his meeting with his players when he promised them he was staying.

He never called or met with his players to explain why he lied to them (and that was before the days of texting everybody about everything).

Of course, it happened to a crooked UNC football team -- half the players were skating academically due to the AFAM scam -- but still, it was scumbag behavior by a "beloved" coach.

OldPhiKap
10-11-2015, 08:49 PM
The crude departure of Edsall from UConn reminds me of Mack Brown's departure from UNC.

He called his players together on a Sunday night to tell them "You are going to hear a lot of rumors about me in the next few days. I'm here to tell you now, don't believe them. I give you my word, that I am staying at North Carolina."

The very next day, Mack was in Austin, Tex. He was introduced as the new Texas coach 48 hours after his meeting with his players when he promised them he was staying.

He never called or met with his players to explain why he lied to them (and that was before the days of texting everybody about everything).

Of course, it happened to a crooked UNC football team -- half the players were skating academically due to the AFAM scam -- but still, it was scumbag behavior by a "beloved" coach.

"The Carolina Way" -- personified.

tux
10-12-2015, 12:41 PM
Brutal. And deserved.

Maybe I don't know enough about Edsall to disagree, but why "deserved". It's very rare for a coach to leave one job for another without pissing off the school he's left behind. There's almost always some story: he lied, he texted...

Basically Feinstein accuses Edsall of: 1) leaving UConn w/o a proper goodbye; 2) being too strict; 3) being humorless; 4) not realizing the power of the DC media (a bit self-promoting)... Edsall seemed like a good hire at the time; he did for UConn a little of what Cutcliffe has done at Duke. His primary sin was not winning enough at a school desperate to be taken seriously. Feinstein does get one thing right: #1-4 would have been small potatoes if he'd won more games.

94duke
10-12-2015, 02:19 PM
Florida's QB suspended for PED. wow.
NCAA rule is automatic one year suspension.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13871336/will-grier-florida-gators-quarterback-suspended-season

Stray Gator
10-12-2015, 03:19 PM
Florida's QB suspended for PED. wow.
NCAA rule is automatic one year suspension.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13871336/will-grier-florida-gators-quarterback-suspended-season

Evidently, Grier took an over-the-counter medication for the flu last week, and it contained one of the substances classified by the NCAA as a PED. Unlike street drugs, only one strike is allowed for a PED, and it entails an automatic one-year suspension. He appeared at the press conference to apologize and acknowledge that he made a mistake by failing to check with the team physician before he took the medication. Seems like a harsh penalty under the circumstances, and I feel sorry for Grier, who is obviously distraught about it; but as Coach McElwain stated, those are the rules and UF stands by them. Next play.

OldPhiKap
10-12-2015, 03:23 PM
Evidently, Grier took an over-the-counter medication for the flu last week, and it contained one of the substances classified by the NCAA as a PED. Unlike street drugs, only one strike is allowed for a PED, and it entails an automatic one-year suspension. He appeared at the press conference to apologize and acknowledge that he made a mistake by failing to check with the team physician before he took the medication. Seems like a harsh penalty under the circumstances, and I feel sorry for Grier, who is obviously distraught about it; but as Coach McElwain stated, those are the rules and UF stands by them. Next play.

At least, he can ride in the Tour de France next year.

Sorry to hear this all kidding aside. Does not sound like someone trying to get an edge, assuming his story is true.

Stray Gator
10-12-2015, 03:30 PM
At least, he can ride in the Tour de France next year.

Sorry to hear this all kidding aside. Does not sound like someone trying to get an edge, assuming his story is true.

Forget the Tour de France -- by the time his eligibility is restored next season, he should be ready to line up at DT . . .

94duke
10-12-2015, 04:17 PM

Sorry, Stray Gator. I had not yet read that it was an over-the-counter flu medication. yikes.

Stray Gator
10-12-2015, 07:02 PM
Sorry, Stray Gator. I had not yet read that it was an over-the-counter flu medication. yikes.

No need to apologize for posting that news. In fact, it appears that there is still some question about whether it was a flu medication or some other over-the-counter drug. In any event, Grier made an inexcusable mistake in failing to check with the team physician before taking any kind of medication, as the players are repeatedly instructed. He has acknowledged his error, has apologized, and seems to be accepting responsibility, although I understand that they may consider appealing just to seek reinstatement at the beginning of next season so that he doesn't have to sit out the first 6 games next year. A costly lesson, but the rules are the rules.

throatybeard
10-12-2015, 07:24 PM
Sark out at USC:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/10/13/sports/ncaafootball/steve-sarkisian-is-fired-as-usc-football-coach.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&referer=http://m.facebook.com/

OldPhiKap
10-12-2015, 07:27 PM
Sark out at USC:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/10/13/sports/ncaafootball/steve-sarkisian-is-fired-as-usc-football-coach.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&referer=http://m.facebook.com/

Hope he gets the help he needs.

Stray Gator
10-12-2015, 09:46 PM
http://footballscoop.com/news/report-steve-spurrier-to-retire/

The end of an era. Wish he could have exited the stage on a more glorious note, but college football will miss him.

MartyClark
10-13-2015, 09:04 AM
Max McCaffrey's younger brother, Christian, is having a really good year at Stanford, He has rushed for over 600 yards in the first five games. Until last week, he was leading the country in all purpose yards.

There are two more McCaffrey brothers on the way up, the youngest rumored to be the best of an outstanding bunch.

Olympic Fan
10-17-2015, 01:06 AM
Duke should move up at least one spot in the polls this week ... No. 21 Boise State (that's in AP; No. 20 in the coaches poll), just lost Friday night to Utah State 52-26.

The Broncos had SEVEN first-half turnovers and trailed 45-10 at the break -- thanks to a 90-yard pick six on the last play of the half. Boise then went out and lost a fumble on their first possession of the second half. Hard to believe this is the same Boise team that beat Virginia 56-14 in Charlottesville two weeks ago. They are now 5-2.

It's possible that also could jump No. 18 (in both polls) UCLA, which was clobbered 54-35 by Stanford on Thursday night. It was the second loss for the Bruins (4-2).

Houston, which is just ahead of us in the AP (and two spots behind us in the coaches poll), beat Tulane 42-7 Friday night. That's a bit better than we did (we beat them 37-7), but Tulane was playing without their QB (Lee) and their best running back (Thompson). They're undefeated, so I assume they stay ahead of us in AP ... and might even jump us in the coaches poll.

devildeac
10-17-2015, 02:24 PM
Toledo staying in the Top 25. Northwestern working their way out. Ole Miss looking to plummet a few spots, too.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/scoreboard

Wander
10-17-2015, 03:09 PM
Interesting and somewhat realistic scenario: what happens if Ole Miss loses to Memphis, and then wins the SEC? They have the tiebreaker over Alabama and their two remaining games against ranked teams are at home.

devildeac
10-17-2015, 03:33 PM
Toledo staying in the Top 25. Northwestern working their way out. Ole Miss looking to plummet a few spots, too.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/scoreboard

Iowa destroys Northwestern at Northwestern.

budwom
10-17-2015, 04:07 PM
sorry to see Pitt go 3-0 in the conference, but any time Paul Johnson loses (and goes to 0-4 in the league) one must smile.
Paul could be spending bowl season on the couch.

Olympic Fan
10-17-2015, 05:28 PM
sorry to see Pitt go 3-0 in the conference, but any time Paul Johnson loses (and goes to 0-4 in the league) one must smile.

Tyler Boyd looks very, very tough now that Pitt has a real QB to throw to him.

I thought the key to the game was about two minutes left, when Pitt gambled on fourth and inches just over the 50. Tie game and they get the first down ... that sets up the long Blewitt FG.

Interesting that they had EXACTLY the same situation late in the Iowa game -- tie score and a fourth and inches at about the Iowa 45. That time Narduzzi tried the old "pull the defense offside" trick and when that didn't work, he punted -- and Iowa drove into field goal range and kicked a 59 yard game-winning on the final play. Nice to see he learned his lesson.

More pain for Georgia Tech -- they get FSU next week ... and the Noles appear to have worked out a lot of offensive kinks against Louisville .. plus Dalvin Cook is simply unworldly.

This week's games haven't helped Duke's computer rankings -- our best victim (Georgia Tech) falls to 2-4 ... the team that beat us gets blown out for the second week in a row ... Tulane is hammered by Houston ... Army does come from behind to beat Bucknell 21-14 (on a long TD catch by Edgar Allen Poe). We'll see how BC (our second best win) does tonight against Clemson.

OldPhiKap
10-17-2015, 06:51 PM

And FSU next week. . . . .

Wander
10-17-2015, 07:22 PM
Michigan wants to challenge Texas for the worst way to choke a game this year. Wow.

duke blue brewcrew
10-17-2015, 07:24 PM
Michigan wants to challenge Texas for the worst way to choke a game this year. Wow.

I still can't believe that just happened...WOW!

mattman91
10-17-2015, 07:34 PM
That Michigan MSU finish was nuts!

cspan37421
10-17-2015, 07:57 PM
That Michigan MSU finish was nuts!

I can't believe what I just saw!

BD80
10-17-2015, 08:56 PM

Couldn't happen to a nicer coach

rsvman
10-18-2015, 12:20 PM
Why even punt there? Why not just run around a bit and then fall down?

Or, if you're the punter in that situation, as soon as you dropped the ball, why not just fall on it immediately?

Very strange way for a game to end.

Mike Corey
10-18-2015, 12:27 PM
Re: the choice to punt, I would be willing to bet that statistically, punting was the safest option--certainly safer than running around and risking a bumbled snap, a subsequent fumble, or giving Michigan State enough time for a play or two.

Re: the failure to fall on the ball, you're of course right, but the guy panicked. Even though he plays college ball, it happens.

And now he's got to deal with all manner of odious crap on The Twitter.

It's an unfortunate reminder that, whenever "our" guys make a mistake, we should be supporting them, not tearing them down.

Bluedog
10-18-2015, 12:35 PM

Or, if you're the punter in that situation, as soon as you dropped the ball, why not just fall on it immediately?

It would have been hard to use up all 10+ seconds running around and then the change of possession stops the clock, so Michigan State would have one chance to go the 50 yards. While extremely unlikely, still more likely than a 80 yard play. I assume the punter, who had been excellent all day including an 80 yarder, was going to punt it out of bounds or otherwise make it unreturnable to the best of his ability. But, yes, one could argue it's not worth the risk of a blocked punt/huge return and give them one chance for the 50 yard play rather than risk it. Michigan's special teams had been great all day though...

Clearly, he made a mental mistake of not falling on it when he couldn't get a good handle and Harbaugh suggested as much in the post game. But when you're a kicker and it's the heat of the moment, you don't always think clearly and his instinct is to always try to get off the punt... MSU got very fortunate that it happened to pop out right into the arms of one of them. Definitely a crazy crazy ending. The guy who scored the TD apparently dislocated or broke his hip in the post game celebration dog pile and had to be carted off the field, which you never like to hear.

Wander
10-18-2015, 12:43 PM

They were up by only 2, meaning of course a safety would tie the game. I agree that if they were up by more than 2, it might be worth it to try and burn clock taking an intentional safety to prevent a punt block attempt.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-18-2015, 12:44 PM
Re: the choice to punt, I would be willing to bet that statistically, punting was the safest option--certainly safer than running around and risking a bumbled snap, a subsequent fumble, or giving Michigan State enough time for a play or two.

Re: the failure to fall on the ball, you're of course right, but the guy panicked. Even though he plays college ball, it happens.

And now he's got to deal with all manner of odious crap on The Twitter.

It's an unfortunate reminder that, whenever "our" guys make a mistake, we should be supporting them, not tearing them down.

A timely reminder as our guys face some tough games, mostly on the road.

Olympic Fan
10-18-2015, 12:54 PM

Hindsight is 50-50, but now that I go back and look at it, not sure that a punt is the best option. Michigan leads 23-21 with 10 seconds left and has the ball at the MSU 46 yard-line. If you run a sweep (no pitch or anything), you either (1) get the first down, which ends the game or (2) run off 5-8 seconds which gives the ball to Michigan State in their territory with 2-4 seconds left. No time to complete a pass and get a field goal try ... time for a hail mary.

Of course, MSU had 11 men at the line of scrimmage to rush the punter -- if you execute the punt, even as lousy punt probably rolls awhile and the game's over.

I think everybody would agree that falling on the ball after the dropped punt was the best option ... he was about at the Michigan 40, so if he does that, MSU has time for a 57-yard field goal attempt into the wind ...

Bluedog
10-18-2015, 12:54 PM
They were up by only 2, meaning of course a safety would tie the game. I agree that if they were up by more than 2, it might be worth it to try and burn clock taking an intentional safety to prevent a punt block attempt.

Intentional safety? They were kicking from about midfield. That would be a long way to run backwards and wouldn't be worth the risk fumbling it going that far (obviously, nothing worse could have happened than the outcome that did occur).

OldPhiKap
10-18-2015, 01:44 PM
Hindsight is 50-50, but now that I go back and look at it, not sure that a punt is the best option. Michigan leads 23-21 with 10 seconds left and has the ball at the MSU 46 yard-line. If you run a sweep (no pitch or anything), you either (1) get the first down, which ends the game or (2) run off 5-8 seconds which gives the ball to Michigan State in their territory with 2-4 seconds left. No time to complete a pass and get a field goal try ... time for a hail mary.

Of course, MSU had 11 men at the line of scrimmage to rush the punter -- if you execute the punt, even as lousy punt probably rolls awhile and the game's over.

I think everybody would agree that falling on the ball after the dropped punt was the best option ... he was about at the Michigan 40, so if he does that, MSU has time for a 57-yard field goal attempt into the wind ...

Of course, many of us remember the Miracle in the Meadowlands where Joe Pisarcik and Larry Czonka muffed a handoff the last play of a salting away drive, and an Eagles lineman picked it up and ran the field for a Philly win over the Giants. No play is wholly foolproof.

Just a freak play then, and same yesterday. either punting or running leads to a victory 99.99999% of the time. The time it doesn't, sucks.

chrishoke
10-18-2015, 02:22 PM
Of course, many of us remember the Miracle in the Meadowlands where Joe Pisarcik and Larry Czonka muffed a handoff the last play of a salting away drive, and an Eagles lineman picked it up and ran the field for a Philly win over the Giants. No play is wholly foolproof.

Just a freak play then, and same yesterday. either punting or running leads to a victory 99.99999% of the time. The time it doesn't, sucks.

The corollary is that no strategy in this situation can eliminate that .000001% chance of loss.

By the way, my brother is strength and conditioning coach at MSU so I am a happy camper.

Wander
10-19-2015, 12:17 AM
Somehow, the Michigan fumble is not even the worst punting thing to happen this weekend. I mean, no matter how horrible that was, at least it was an accident. What the hell, Colts?

Olympic Fan
10-23-2015, 05:16 PM
Well, with Cal (No. 20 AP; No. 19 coaches) losing big Thursday night, that's one team Duke is pointed to jump in the polls next week ... provided, of course, Duke wins at Virginia Tech.

Temple, which is just ahead of Duke in the AP poll and two spots behind Duke in the coaches poll, rallied from a 14-10 deficit to score two TDs in the final four minutes to beat East Carolina last night. The Owls are unbeaten and could be jumping us in the coaches soon -- although they play Notre Dame next week, so that should be short lived.

Memphis (No. 18 in AP and No. 17) will try to stay unbeaten Friday night at Tulsa -- they're favored, but it could be a tough win.

Merlindevildog91
10-24-2015, 10:14 PM
The FSU-Georgia Tech ending was crazy.

FSU had a 55 ish FG attempt to win on the last play of the game (after they let GT hang around).

FG blocked. GT picked it up and rang it back for the TD, as time ran out.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-24-2015, 10:50 PM
The FSU-Georgia Tech ending was crazy.

FSU had a 55 ish FG attempt to win on the last play of the game (after they let GT hang around).

FG blocked. GT picked it up and rang it back for the TD, as time ran out.

Just saw the highlights. What a day for ACC football. Wow.

Olympic Fan
10-25-2015, 02:46 AM
Southern Cal routs No. 3 Utah, knocking out the Pac 12's last unbeaten team.

Baylor wins easily, but loses its starting QB with a broken neck(well, a cracked vertebrae in his neck).

We're down to eight power five unbeaten:

LSU
Clemson
Baylor
TCU
Oklahoma State
Ohio State
Michigan State
Iowa

Two of the three Big Ten unbeatens and two of the three Big Eight unbeaten have to lose by selection Sunday. That means we could have a maximum of four unbeaten. I doubt we finish with that many, but four are possible.

My guess at the top one-loss teams (in order that I think the committee will consider them):

1. Alabama (plus they get a shot at LSU in two weeks)
2. Stanford (they're playing great right now)
3. Notre Dame (they get Stanford late)
4. Oklahoma (games with Baylor, TCU and OSU coming up)
5. Utah
6. FSU
7. Florida

I think these 15 teams are the only ones that have even an outside shot at making the Final Four and except for Alabama, Stanford and Notre Dame, I think the rest of the one-loss teams are real long-shots.

There are also four unbeaten in "the other five" -- three in the American Conference (Memphis, Houston and Temple) and Toledo from the MAC. Temple, which already has a win over Penn State, meets Notre Dame this week. I don't believe any of these four qualify for the playoffs, but the best of the four (probably the American champion) will earn a spot in one of the six major bowls

Wander
10-25-2015, 12:21 PM
There are also four unbeaten in "the other five" -- three in the American Conference (Memphis, Houston and Temple) and Toledo from the MAC. Temple, which already has a win over Penn State, meets Notre Dame this week. I don't believe any of these four qualify for the playoffs, but the best of the four (probably the American champion) will earn a spot in one of the six major bowls

Memphis has a win over a team that could very well be the SEC champion. If they finish undefeated - a huge if - they have a good shot at the playoffs.

Olympic Fan
10-25-2015, 12:27 PM
Memphis has a win over a team that could very well be the SEC champion. If they finish undefeated - a huge if - they have a good shot at the playoffs.

You're kidding yourself.

The playoffs were set up by the power five for the power five. It would take a remarkable set of circumstances to get a non-power five conference team in the playoffs.

And, yes, the victory over Ole Miss is nice, but it ain't earthshaking ... the Revels are ranked 23/24 in the polls (although they will move up after beating Texas A&M).

I could make a better case for Temple is they win out -- they already have the win over Penn State and they would beat Notre Dame.

But neither is going to get in the final four.

Wander
10-25-2015, 06:16 PM
The playoffs were set up by the power five for the power five. It would take a remarkable set of circumstances to get a non-power five conference team in the playoffs.

You may be correct. It's hard to tell exactly what the philosophy is given that we only have a sample size of one year to go from. It could very well be the case that the playoff is simply going to have an unofficial rule of "eliminate the weakest of the Power 5 champions, and the remaining 4 is the playoff." Still, you really don't think that if Memphis finishes undefeated and Ole Miss wins the SEC west (maybe not the most likely scenario, but realistic given that they get LSU at home and own the tiebreaker against Alabama), Memphis would be under serious consideration? You might be right that they still get passed over, but it would have to be talked about.

Olympic Fan
10-25-2015, 06:30 PM
You may be correct. It's hard to tell exactly what the philosophy is given that we only have a sample size of one year to go from. It could very well be the case that the playoff is simply going to have an unofficial rule of "eliminate the weakest of the Power 5 champions, and the remaining 4 is the playoff." Still, you really don't think that if Memphis finishes undefeated and Ole Miss wins the SEC west (maybe not the most likely scenario, but realistic given that they get LSU at home and own the tiebreaker against Alabama), Memphis would be under serious consideration? You might be right that they still get passed over, but it would have to be talked about.

I was watching ESPN Drive to the Championship show this morning and they spend an hour discussing all the possibilities for the playoffs. They talked about all the no loss P5 teams left and even had a segment ranking the one loss P5 teams. (BTW, they included UNC in the one-loss discussion ... but never mentioned Duke -- or Pitt). They did not bring up the "other five" unbeatens.

Now, I know it's just ESPN, but it reflects the underling basis of this thing. Neither Memphis, nor Temple nor Houston nor Toledo is in the debate ... and they are not going to be. You just have to go back a little while (I know it's not the current four team playoff) to see how they squeezed some pretty good Boise State teams out of the national title consideration.

But you bring up an intriguing possibility -- Ole Miss winning out and winning the SEC title. Would that guarantee them a Final Four spot? What happens to 11-1 Alabama if that's the case? What happens to Bama if Ole Miss wins the SEC, while Clemson, Baylor and Ohio State all finish unbeaten? Does 11-1 Bama (and 11-1 LSU) get left out ... or would the committee leave out an unbeaten conference champ for a one-loss non-champion?

There are a lot of intriguing possibilities -- but none of them involve Memphis, Toledo, Utah or Temple.

DU82
10-25-2015, 06:47 PM
Miami twitter - Al Golden relieved of his duties immediately.

Didn't want to see this. Gives the Canes something to rally around.

Tripping William
10-25-2015, 07:08 PM
Miami twitter - Al Golden relieved of his duties immediately.

Didn't want to see this. Gives the Canes something to rally around.

Link here: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13972433/miami-hurricanes-fire-al-golden-head-coach&ex_cid=espnfb

Guess airspace over Durham will now be banner-free.

Wander
10-25-2015, 07:40 PM
I was watching ESPN Drive to the Championship show this morning and they spend an hour discussing all the possibilities for the playoffs. They talked about all the no loss P5 teams left and even had a segment ranking the one loss P5 teams. (BTW, they included UNC in the one-loss discussion ... but never mentioned Duke -- or Pitt). They did not bring up the "other five" unbeatens.

Now, I know it's just ESPN, but it reflects the underling basis of this thing. Neither Memphis, nor Temple nor Houston nor Toledo is in the debate ... and they are not going to be. You just have to go back a little while (I know it's not the current four team playoff) to see how they squeezed some pretty good Boise State teams out of the national title consideration.

But you bring up an intriguing possibility -- Ole Miss winning out and winning the SEC title. Would that guarantee them a Final Four spot? What happens to 11-1 Alabama if that's the case? What happens to Bama if Ole Miss wins the SEC, while Clemson, Baylor and Ohio State all finish unbeaten? Does 11-1 Bama (and 11-1 LSU) get left out ... or would the committee leave out an unbeaten conference champ for a one-loss non-champion?

There are a lot of intriguing possibilities -- but none of them involve Memphis, Toledo, Utah or Temple.

I know this is ESPN's stuff and not your own, but their stuff is ridiculous. How can you include UNC in the discussion but not Duke? UNC has the same record and their schedule is just as bad, arguably worse. It seems to me you either have to include them both as extreme longshot .00001% chance teams simply because they're both 1-loss Power 5 teams, or neither.

I agree Ole Miss winning the SEC would be the most interesting scenario. Would they really shut the SEC out of the playoff if their champion is a 2-loss team? Would be fun to watch...

TKG
10-25-2015, 08:04 PM
According to Bleacher Report, Golden has been fired as the Hurricanes head coach.

eddiehaskell
10-26-2015, 12:26 AM
I don't like to see it happen that way, but hopefully Miami without Kaaya and their coach will make things a little easier. The thought of 7-1 Duke vs 7-1 UNC is scary and exciting at the same time...winner probably wins the division and plays Clemson.

Faison1
10-27-2015, 10:40 PM
Did you guys see who's #3 in Heisman balloting?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/heisman15/

Wish he was with the Blue Devils. I'm sure we recruited him, no?

That is one heck of an athletic family!! The holidays must be amazing!

I still wish Billy had stuck it out instead of transferring to Vandy.

BigWayne
10-28-2015, 02:13 AM
Did you guys see who's #3 in Heisman balloting?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/heisman15/

Wish he was with the Blue Devils. I'm sure we recruited him, no?

That is one heck of an athletic family!! The holidays must be amazing!

I still wish Billy had stuck it out instead of transferring to Vandy.

There are two more McCaffrey's in HS. They are both playing QB in Colorado.
Based on the family history, Duke and Stanford should have a decent chance them.
http://collegefootballcrazy.com/the-mccaffrey-family/

devildeac
10-28-2015, 07:22 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_9tkWB9PWo

devildeac
10-28-2015, 07:28 AM
Here's another tidbit for your listening pleasure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wACpbc0j6lQ

devildeac
10-28-2015, 07:29 AM
Here's another tidbit for your listening pleasure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wACpbc0j6lQ

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt/2010/11/26/How-Sweet-Caroline-became-the-Pitt-fans-singalong/stories/201011260183

killerleft
10-28-2015, 10:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_9tkWB9PWo

Let me be the first to add a hearty, "Genac, Genac, Genac!" So the Coneheads were Pit graduates?:)

I had to look it up. Apparently the first word in that line is Allegheny (for the river) and the 'genacs' are the sound the river makes as waves touch the shore. According to the local Indians.

OldPhiKap
10-30-2015, 10:30 PM
Wow. Wake coulda, shoulda, didn't. Five turnovers, lose to the ville by one. Ouch.

wilson
10-31-2015, 02:22 PM
VPI's performance so far against BC's defense today is adding perhaps even a bit more shine to our win in Blacksburg last weekend. Hokies up 20-0 at halftime.
That poor BC defense might just be out of gas by now, because their offense has contributed effectively nothing to the Eagles' season.

Wander
10-31-2015, 04:01 PM
Clemson and NC State have scored 4 touchdowns less than 5 minutes into the game (also 2 blocked PATs). What?

OldPhiKap
10-31-2015, 05:38 PM
In case anyone is wondering -- Dawg Nation is not happy.

Would serve them right to have Richt go back to his alma mater, Miami.

kmspeaks
10-31-2015, 07:44 PM
In case anyone is wondering -- Dawg Nation is not happy.

Would serve them right to have Richt go back to his alma mater, Miami.

I may be in the minority but count me as a dawg fan that would not be happy to see Mark Richt gone. Tennessee fans screamed until they got rid of Fulmer who was averaging around 9 wins a year and a division title every 3 and look what happened to that program.

OldPhiKap
10-31-2015, 08:48 PM
I may be in the minority but count me as a dawg fan that would not be happy to see Mark Richt gone. Tennessee fans screamed until they got rid of Fulmer who was averaging around 9 wins a year and a division title every 3 and look what happened to that program.

I think your view is extremely rational. I also think, unfortunately, that it is in the minority.

Bob Green
11-07-2015, 08:40 PM
Halftime: Navy 17, Memphis 10

Bob Green
11-07-2015, 10:20 PM
Final: Navy 45, Memphis 20. The Midshipmen knock the Tigers from the ranks of the unbeaten. Navy's relentless rushing attack wore Memphis down.

Olympic Fan
11-07-2015, 11:48 PM
Final: Navy 45, Memphis 20. The Midshipmen knock the Tigers from the ranks of the unbeaten. Navy's relentless rushing attack wore Memphis down.

So much for the fantasy that Memphis could crack the playoffs. Actually, that idea took a big hit earlier in the day, when Ole Miss lost to Arkansas. That was part of the fantasy -- Ole Miss was positioned to win the SEC and Memphis beat Ole Miss. Now, not so much.

Actually, five unbeaten teams lost this week -- No. 2 LSU, No. 7 Michigan State, No. 8 TCU, No. 13 Memphis and No. 24 Toledo.

Six unbeaten left: No. 1 Clemson, No. 3 Ohio State, No. 6 Baylor, No. 9 Iowa, No. 14 Oklahoma State, and No. 25 Houston.

(Note: All rankings are the CFP rankings that came out last Tuesday for the first time).

Memphis and TCU were beaten badly, by Navy and Oklahoma State. 'Bama handled LSU without a lot of trouble. The Michigan State loss was almost as bizarre as their win at Michigan. They were up two scores with just over two minutes left when Nebraska scored a TD. The Huskers tried and failed to get an outside kick, but they got the ball back with seconds left and hit a huge TD pass when their receiver ran out of bounds, then came back in to catch it for the TD with 17 seconds left. They ruled that he was pushed out of bounds, so he could legally come back (pretty bogus call IMHO). Nebraska almost choked it away -- a short kickoff and a quick completion gave MSU the ball at the Nebraska 41 with seven seconds left (and MSU had a timeout). But Cook, their Heisman candidate QB, double clutched what should have been a quick pass, then floated the ball out of bounds -- and the clock ran out.

Crazier still was the finish of the Arkansas-Ole Miss game. Ole Miss scores to open overtime and go up seven. Arkansas screws up and is facing a fourth and 25 at its 40. They throw short of the first down and the receiver laterals as he's going down. An Arkansas running back picks it up and runs for the first down at the nine ... but he fumbles ... but a teammate recovers at the 11. Two plays later, Arkansas scores a TD, then they go for 2 to win it ... but the QB is sacked before he can get the pass off ... but the Ole Miss tackler grabs him by the facemask, giving Arkansas another chance. This time the QB runs for the conversion and the Hogs beat the Rebs.

A wild and crazy day. My guess is next Tuesday, the top four are 1. Clemson, 2. Ohio State, 3. Bama and 4. Notre Dame ... with Baylor at No. 5 and Iowa No. 6.

Atlanta Duke
11-08-2015, 07:37 PM
Five alarm fire in Missouri

With the backing of their head coach, football players at Missouri are threatening to stop participating in any football activities until the president of the university system is fired or resigns. In a late afternoon statement, though, the president declined to do so, saying instead that the school would start a systemwide diversity examination.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2015/11/08/why-missouri-football-players-are-going-on-strike/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_earlylead-mizzou-1130am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

This is not something that can be worked out during the offseason - Missouri plays BYU this Saturday

OldPhiKap
11-08-2015, 07:49 PM
Five alarm fire in Missouri

With the backing of their head coach, football players at Missouri are threatening to stop participating in any football activities until the president of the university system is fired or resigns. In a late afternoon statement, though, the president declined to do so, saying instead that the school would start a systemwide diversity examination.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2015/11/08/why-missouri-football-players-are-going-on-strike/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_earlylead-mizzou-1130am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

This is not something that can be worked out during the offseason - Missouri plays BYU this Saturday

This will be very interesting to watch. Missouri is 4-5 but a good team, they are fighting for a bowl spot (read: money for the school).

Atlanta Duke
11-09-2015, 11:56 AM
This will be very interesting to watch. Missouri is 4-5 but a good team, they are fighting for a bowl spot (read: money for the school).

Yep - Follow the money.

The Missouri football coach is making $4 million a year, Missouri was required to pay $1 million to BYU if the game was cancelled this Saturday, and the university president is making $450,000 per year. Somebody apparently ran the numbers on what the cost effective move was.

University of Missouri system president Tim Wolfe resigns

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/11/09/missouri-tigers-racism-controversy-tim-wolfe-resigns

devildeac
11-15-2015, 05:13 PM
Wonder if the U fans are howling at the acc office after ~12 penalties for ~110 yds against the cheaters yesterday...

:rolleyes:

Tom B.
11-21-2015, 01:37 PM
Virginia Tech is giving Carolina a challenge in Beamer's last home game. Carolina leads just 7-3 at halftime.

Looks like Spurrier resigned/retired/whatever from the South Carolina job at the right time. South Carolina trails The Citadel (an FCS team) 14-9 at halftime.

UNC has to be absolutely kicking themselves over their loss to South Carolina.

devildeac
11-21-2015, 03:02 PM
cheaters comfortably ahead 24-10 with 7 minutes remaining in game.

devildeac
11-21-2015, 03:06 PM
Wolfpack attired in their traditional gray unis today:rolleyes:. Good grief.

hallcity
11-21-2015, 03:15 PM
Did anyone else notice that UNC had to resort to placing an ad during the broadcast of their football game today to try to sell tickets to their home basketball game with Maryland? A#1 ranked team has trouble selling tickets to its home game with a top ten opponent! What happens to their ticket sales once the NCAA pounds the holes?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-21-2015, 03:27 PM
Hokies driving with a chance to tie under 2 minutes

TruBlu
11-21-2015, 03:33 PM
cheaters comfortably ahead 24-10 with 7 minutes remaining in game.

Well, maybe not. Hokies just tied it at 24 with 1 minute left.

devildeac
11-21-2015, 03:34 PM
Well, maybe not. Hokies just tied it at 24 with 1 minute left.

Quite a surprise. I checked w/about 5 min to go and holes were still up 14. Go VT!

BD80
11-21-2015, 05:31 PM
Did anyone else notice that UNC had to resort to placing an ad during the broadcast of their football game today to try to sell tickets to their home basketball game with Maryland? A#1 ranked team has trouble selling tickets to its home game with a top ten opponent! What happens to their ticket sales once the NCAA pounds the holes?

They'll give away tickets to students who attend classes!

Oh wait, that won't accomplish much.

Wander
11-21-2015, 09:46 PM
The SEC was seriously exposed today in its annual garbage week of games late in the season against nobodies. Florida needing overtime to beat 2-9 FAU, South Carolina losing to 1-AA Citadel, Georgia is currently losing to Georgia Southern in the 4th quarter... pathetic. If Alabama gets tripped up in the conference title game, the SEC deserves to be left out of the playoff in favor if Clemson and Notre Dame win out.

kmspeaks
11-21-2015, 09:57 PM
The SEC EAST was seriously exposed today in its annual garbage week of games late in the season against nobodies. Florida needing overtime to beat 2-9 FAU, South Carolina losing to 1-AA Citadel, Georgia is currently losing to Georgia Southern in the 4th quarter... pathetic. If Alabama gets tripped up in the conference title game, the SEC deserves to be left out of the playoff in favor if Clemson and Notre Dame win out.

Fixed it for ya. And was it really an exposure? I don't think anybody would try and argue Georgia or South Carolina are good teams this year. As for Florida, would you say the same about Ohio State even though they just squeaked by a Northern Illinois team that lost to Boston College?

Wander
11-21-2015, 10:10 PM
Fixed it for ya. And was it really an exposure? I don't think anybody would try and argue Georgia or South Carolina are good teams this year. As for Florida, would you say the same about Ohio State even though they just squeaked by a Northern Illinois team that lost to Boston College?

Northern Illinois is 8-3, leading its division, and ranked 69th in Sagarin. Florida Atlantic is 2-9 and ranked 144th in Sagarin (note there are only 128 teams in Division 1-A). So I don't think it's that comparable. But honestly, I somewhat agree with you, and am not interested in defending Ohio State, who much like Florida, has not been very impressive even though they've racked up wins.

Your point about SEC West vs East is fair. I'm not arguing it's a conference full of awful teams. I guess I'm just saying that they may be the 3rd best conference, and unlike past years, there's no reason to pencil the champion into the top 4.

OldPhiKap
11-21-2015, 10:33 PM
Georgia needs overtime to beat Georgia Southern, in Athens. GSU is a good team and all, but -- ouch.

Odds on Mark Richt on the sidelines at his alma mater in Miami next season?

Tom B.
11-21-2015, 10:50 PM
Here's an odd stat that just went by on the ESPN crawl:

Michigan State has beaten Michigan and Ohio State this year, despite not leading for even one second of game time in either contest.