PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Duke, Frank Jackson!

Duke95
09-01-2015, 06:33 PM
http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1581472-frank-jackson-breaks-down-duke-commitment

Native
09-01-2015, 06:36 PM

Tripping William
09-01-2015, 06:36 PM
http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1581472-frank-jackson-breaks-down-duke-commitment

Awesome!

Is he the first Duke commit from Within the Shadows of the Everlasting Hills? I cannot recall an earlier one.

Olympic Fan
09-01-2015, 06:45 PM
Reading the Evan Daniels story, it was the first I heard that his father was a senator in Utah.

Interesting story -- he won the seat by a single delegate vote in the third round of voting. He's just the third African-American named to the Utah State Senate:

http://www.sltrib.com/news/1829246-155/comnietur-dolor-eostionse-http-ipsom-lorem

Look forward to watching Frank at Duke ... seems to have a nice skill set and would be equally effective as a point guard or a wing guard.

ChillinDuke
09-01-2015, 06:53 PM
There it is.

Welcome, Frank! I speak for all Duke fans when I say we're excited to have you on board!

- Chillin

Clay Feet POF
09-01-2015, 06:56 PM
Hallejah! Hallejah!

Duke95
09-01-2015, 06:57 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/YlNQq6bqFYqqs/giphy.gif

Pghdukie
09-01-2015, 07:00 PM
Will the Senator from Utah be joining the Cameron Crazies? Maybe he can call Tony Romo for etiquette advice! !!!

wsb3
09-01-2015, 07:06 PM
Welcome to DUKE..

OldPhiKap
09-01-2015, 07:30 PM
Welcome to the family, Frank! Woo hoo!

4Gen
09-01-2015, 07:46 PM
So a kid chooses the best basketball program with the best coach at the best school in America, and that is somehow noteworthy?

weezie
09-01-2015, 07:54 PM
I'm very pleased!!! Our Frank has some incredible hops AND he's a handsome young man AND he will soon be my new favorite player. I like this trend of recruiting good-looking youngsters! :cool:

Edouble
09-01-2015, 08:02 PM
I'm very pleased!!! Our Frank has some incredible hops AND he's a handsome young man AND he will soon be my new favorite player. I like this trend of recruiting good-looking youngsters! :cool:

Weezie, do you think he could take Quinn's spot?

Duke All-Handsome Team:

PG - Quinn Snyder
SG - JJ Redick
SF - Justise Winslow
PF - Shane Battier
C - Christian Laettner

*IMHO, only Winslow and Lattner are locks for this squad

Troublemaker
09-01-2015, 08:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaBO-uiOt7w

Duke95
09-01-2015, 08:37 PM
Speaking of Justise, he's working the recruiting trail for us.

Justise WinslowVerified account
‏@IAmJustise

@TheReal_HG3 you next bro?? Don't worry you don't gotta respond... publicly. I know you out at sleep-away camp in Oak Hill

https://twitter.com/IAmJustise/status/638864495629180928?lang=en

Edouble
09-01-2015, 10:06 PM
So, I had seen this previously, but I gotta tell ya... it is thoroughly more enjoyable to watch now, after this evening's commitment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0Nfn2ohBoI

HK Dukie
09-01-2015, 10:34 PM
This news just made my day!

And I think it is going to make us all very happy all next year and every time we look up to the rafters after that.

devildeac
09-01-2015, 10:35 PM

Duke All-Handsome Team:

PG - Quinn Snyder
SG - JJ Redick
SF - Justise Winslow
PF - Shane Battier
C - Christian Laettner

Well, which one is more handsomer?:D

Edouble
09-01-2015, 10:36 PM
Well, which one is more handsomer?:D

Damn.

Well deserved.

I just got a new keyboard... gotta get synced in. Typing too fast.

moonpie23
09-01-2015, 11:44 PM
awesome!!!!! welcome to the party, frank!!!!!!

mr. synellinden
09-02-2015, 12:39 AM
So, I had seen this previously, but I gotta tell ya... it is thoroughly more enjoyable to watch now, after this evening's commitment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0Nfn2ohBoI

If you want to see something equally enjoyable, watch this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcRmJNhVKFs), particularly at the 10 second mark. Serious yeast.

This guy is a superb athlete.

NYBri
09-02-2015, 07:21 AM
If you want to see something equally enjoyable, watch this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcRmJNhVKFs), particularly at the 10 second mark. Serious yeast.

That is a serious mix tape.

weezie
09-02-2015, 07:44 AM
Duke All-Handsome Team:

PG - Quinn Snyder
SG - JJ Redick
SF - Justise Winslow
PF - Shane Battier
C - Christian Laettner

Well done Edubs. I completely agree.

Our Frank has terrific foot work in the above video.

duke blue brewcrew
09-02-2015, 09:14 AM

First, welcome to Duke Frank "I'm sorry Ms." Jackson! As a fan, I could not be more excited about this commitment. I'm not one to fall in love with highlight reels, but that mix tape has me even more excited! This kid has skills, and I look forward to his development under Coach K.

Billy Dat
09-02-2015, 09:15 AM
Frank and the Jackson Family, welcome to Duke!

My advice is to Enjoy Yourself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WILbxhnlSQ

I hope you lead the team to many Victory(s)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EnOIhNZIeE&list=PLoGkdcDbPGBVzr2z-5IuIh2T79SaHZBir

Something great is coming, Can you feel it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nP4WE_-uqE

BD80
09-02-2015, 09:22 AM
If you want to see something equally enjoyable, watch this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcRmJNhVKFs), particularly at the 10 second mark. Serious yeast. ...

Yeast? He's a fast riser?

mattman91
09-02-2015, 10:20 AM
Yeast? He's a fast riser?

Maybe he meant hops? He must have been barley awake when he posted

:rolleyes:

Tripping William
09-02-2015, 10:52 AM

Indeed! Based on the video clips, I'm thinking young Mr. Jackson has an IBU in triple-digits. He's a Palate Wrecker, that kid! :cool:

Bluedog
09-02-2015, 10:57 AM
Speaking of Justise, he's working the recruiting trail for us.

Justise WinslowVerified account
‏@IAmJustise

@TheReal_HG3 you next bro?? Don't worry you don't gotta respond... publicly. I know you out at sleep-away camp in Oak Hill

https://twitter.com/IAmJustise/status/638864495629180928?lang=en

Not to get too off topic, but was looking at Justise's tweets and noticed he officially signed with Adidas. Who said Duke is always Nike guys? ;)

Welcome to Duke Frank Jackson! Definitely good to have him on board -- should be a dynamic backcourt for sure.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-02-2015, 11:25 AM

I'm not sure exactly what he sedi-meant, but hes seems like a real im-porter-tant recruit! We all know mixed tapes can rely too heavily on one session, but Jackson seems intoxicating.

Ale keeps my ryes open for more of this kid.

OldPhiKap
09-02-2015, 11:27 AM
(nm)

kAzE
09-02-2015, 11:41 AM

Duke All-Handsome Team:

PG - Quinn Snyder
SG - JJ Redick
SF - Justise Winslow
PF - Shane Battier
C - Christian Laettner

I'm glad someone has finally validated my enormous man-crush on Justise Winslow. I now feel much more legitimized. Although if we're ranking Duke players by ability to woo women, I think JJ tops that list, so I'd put JJ as a lock as well. I believe Grant Hill has a strong case for the other forward spot over Battier (the wrinkly forehead has to be a mark against him), but I'm not into guys who aren't named Justise Winslow, so my ability to judge men's looks might not be the best. Any ladies want to weigh in?

P.S. NICE, WE GOT FRANK JACKSON!

jimsumner
09-02-2015, 12:00 PM
I'm hardly a message-board novice, so I'm accustomed to threads taking curious detours. Truth be told, I may have started a few myself.

But I confess I never saw the welcome-to-Duke, Frank-Jackson thread turned into a best-looking-Duke-guys thread.

And I can't imagine contributing to such nonsense.

So, can I suggest Rob Lowe in the celebrity-fan subset, further high-jacking the thread?

And, btw, Jackson is projected to be pretty good at Duke.

PSurprise
09-02-2015, 01:01 PM
I'm hardly a message-board novice, so I'm accustomed to threads taking curious detours. Truth be told, I may have started a few myself.

But I confess I never saw the welcome-to-Duke, Frank-Jackson thread turned into a best-looking-Duke-guys thread.

So, can I suggest Rob Lowe in the celebrity-fan subset, further high-jacking the thread?

And, btw, Jackson is projected to be pretty good -looking at Duke.

There ya go ;p

Tripping William
09-02-2015, 01:10 PM

So, you're saying you *expected* the Welcome to Duke thread about the Mormon kid to also take a beer turn?? :o

luvdahops
09-02-2015, 01:23 PM

Duke All-Handsome Team:

PG - Quinn Snyder
SG - JJ Redick
SF - Justise Winslow
PF - Shane Battier
C - Christian Laettner

Lots of Duke (and other) women found Billy King quite suave and handsome back in the day.

jimsumner
09-02-2015, 01:29 PM
Lots of Duke (and other) women found Billy King quite suave and handsome back in the day.

FWIW, at least one poster's wife was taken with Bob Bender back in an even-earlier day.

devildeac
09-02-2015, 02:40 PM

Indeed! Based on the video clips, I'm thinking young Mr. Jackson has an IBU in triple-digits. He's a Palate Wrecker, that kid! :cool:

You two can turn almost any thread into a Ymm, Beer corollary;):o . I have no idea what ales you.

I take most of your off topic comments with a grain of wheat, err, salt.

Welcome to Duke young Mr. Jackson!

devildeac
09-02-2015, 02:44 PM
I'm not sure exactly what he sedi-meant, but hes seems like a real im-porter-tant recruit! We all know mixed tapes can rely too heavily on one saison, but Jackson seems intoxicating.

Ale keeps my ryes open for more of this kid.

FIFY;).

Although on further review, session would probably work there, too:o.

Indoor66
09-02-2015, 04:13 PM
You two can turn almost any thread into a Ymm, Beer corollary;):o . I have no idea what ales you.

Welcome to Duke, young man. You will come out better than when you come in.

Also, please disregard the quoted poster - he may be the one exception to the second sentence above. :cool: Actually he has a mind obsessed with 3.2 beer! He may never grow into the real thing. :)

jacone21
09-02-2015, 04:26 PM

Yep. Pretty soon they'll be talking about the draft.

devildeac
09-02-2015, 04:31 PM
Yep. Pretty soon they'll be talking about the draft.

NBA (for the young and very talented Mr. Jackson, of course) or IPA? Or both?:o

mattman91
09-02-2015, 05:13 PM
NBA (for the young and very talented Mr. Jackson, of course) or IPA? Or both?:o

He could probably already play for an NBA Stout team.

Tripping William
09-02-2015, 05:16 PM
He could probably already play for an NBA Stout team.

He'd be sure to average a tripel-dubbel.

weezie
09-02-2015, 05:21 PM
FWIW, at least one poster's wife was taken with Bob Bender back in an even-earlier day.

Yes indeed Mr. Sumner. I remember feeling a tad swoony over Bob Bender. I think the permanent top spot would inhabited be by our former, and still handsome, member of People Mag's Most Beautiful Bunch. After that Winslow shows strength and Bender is def a candidate. Perhaps we should allow five plus a sub. Shane had the best overall smile, Grant was slightly hampered by the high top fade.

At any rate, our Frank has much to look forward to. How great it is to see him excited and joyous in the announcement clip.

Oh, and as to Rob Lowe, yessir! Romo isn't bad and Jeter also exuded a certain fan-sexiness. :D

devildeac
09-02-2015, 06:35 PM
He'd be sure to average a tripel-dubbel.

I can't spork you for this but I must single you out for your reply which is an absolute classic (for beer knurds, anyway:o).

We're really getting ahead of ourselves here discussing what he'll average at Duke with so many talented teammates, let alone if/when he makes it to the NBA.

And, for the record, to keep this running off-track, I don't have man crushes, but thought the coiffures on Quinn and Justise this year were fabulous. I remember even G. Hill himself commented one time (IIRC) how bad the "fade," to which the lovely weezie referred, looked on him. Didn't stop this however:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv1bXGEzEfQ

MartyClark
09-02-2015, 06:42 PM
Yes indeed Mr. Sumner. I remember feeling a tad swoony over Bob Bender. I think the permanent top spot would inhabited be by our former, and still handsome, member of People Mag's Most Beautiful Bunch. After that Winslow shows strength and Bender is def a candidate. Perhaps we should allow five plus a sub. Shane had the best overall smile, Grant was slightly hampered by the high top fade.

At any rate, our Frank has much to look forward to. How great it is to see him excited and joyous in the announcement clip.

Oh, and as to Rob Lowe, yessir! Romo isn't bad and Jeter also exuded a certain fan-sexiness. :D

My long suffering wife of 38 years has cheerfully endured my Duke basketball passion for many years. This year, to my surprise, she got very interested in the team. We must have watched 20 games together. I figured out that she had a little crush on both Grayson Allen and Tyus Jones. It all worked and made for a fun season.

Tripping William
09-02-2015, 08:45 PM
I can't spork you for this but I must single you out for your reply which is an absolute classic (for beer knurds, anyway:o).

We're really getting ahead of ourselves here discussing what he'll average at Duke with so many talented teammates, let alone if/when he makes it to the NBA.

Am guessing young Frank has a great handle (tap or otherwise).

Skitzle
09-03-2015, 07:07 AM
If Thornton doesn't go pro is Jackson gonna get enough minutes to stay happy? I mean there are only 80 backcourt minutes to go between Allen Kennard Jackson AND Thornton, will we be going 11 deep in 2016?

#alwaysrosterbating #olekczyzisplayingonthepolishnationalteamwhydidnth egetminutesatduke

devildeac
09-03-2015, 07:15 AM
If Thornton doesn't go pro is Jackson gonna get enough minutes to stay happy? I mean there are only 80 backcourt minutes to go between Allen Kennard Jackson AND Thornton, will we be going 11 deep in 2016?

#alwaysrosterbating #olekczyzisplayingonthepolishnationalteamwhydidnth egetminutesatduke

He may not get much burn with them either:rolleyes:. I'l admit, I don't know much about the men's Polish National Basketball team but from this source, it appears he's 3rd on the PF depth chart (assuming that team/coach play positions;)), or 10th/11th on the overall depth chart.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poland_national_basketball_team

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-03-2015, 08:00 AM

Clearly, K is setting the stage for platoon systems and the zone defense. Oh, and using set positions.

Or something.

JasonEvans
09-03-2015, 10:22 AM

I think most folks think Allen is more likely to turn pro than Thornton. Regardless, I am sure a bright kid and family like the Jacksons are able to look at the Duke roster and talk candidly to the Duke coaches about what role Frank may have as a freshman and in subsequent seasons. I am of the belief that while we can wonder a bit about how a potential recruit might fit into the rotation, once they have committed there is probably some kind of plan in place that K and the recruit have some vague notion about.

And for a kid as highly regarded and talented as Frank Jackson, I'm pretty sure that plan is more than merely saying he will be the 11th man on next year's roster.

-Jason "whew, the recruiting roll that Duke is on is just crazy fun!" Evans

Duke95
09-03-2015, 10:32 AM
Pretty sure the staff is preparing for potentially losing Allen AND Thornton given the weakness of next year's draft.

I am assuming that Allen will be gone.

superdave
09-03-2015, 11:11 AM

I think most folks think Allen is more likely to turn pro than Thornton. Regardless, I am sure a bright kid and family like the Jacksons are able to look at the Duke roster and talk candidly to the Duke coaches about what role Frank may have as a freshman and in subsequent seasons. I am of the belief that while we can wonder a bit about how a potential recruit might fit into the rotation, once they have committed there is probably some kind of plan in place that K and the recruit have some vague notion about.

And for a kid as highly regarded and talented as Frank Jackson, I'm pretty sure that plan is more than merely saying he will be the 11th man on next year's roster.

Jackson is ranked 13, 14 and 17 in the three rankings services I quickly found. Let's see where he winds up in the RSCI composite. If he stays in the mid teens, then he probably should not expect 30+ minutes per game. If he vaults into the top 5, then it's a different conversation obviously.

I vote that whatever nickname or cheer the Crazies give to Frank include an overt Hot Dog reference! Maybe a nod to Zeppelin's "Ahhhhhhhhh, Hot Dog!" song intro. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BndMLWGQLRM

kAzE
09-03-2015, 11:24 AM

Also, there's no reason to assume that we can't play 3 guards at once, which we've done many times in the past when our back court talent is superior to our front court. I believe we started 3 guys 6'3" or under from 2011 to 2013. Most notably, we settled on a starting lineup that included Quinn Cook, Seth Curry, and Rasheed Sulaimon. None of those guys can sky like Frank Jackson.

However, given that we are welcoming in a studly SF in Jayson Tatum next year, it's probably best to assume that one of them comes off the bench if both Thornton and Allen stay. I'm not writing off Kennard, I just think he's a slight step below those 3 other guys as of now. We'll see what he does this year.

Anyway, I don't see why it would be such a big deal for Frank Jackson to come off the bench. Higher rated recruits have come off the bench for Duke in their freshman year (at least until proven to be superior as a starter, in the case of Chris Duhon). Corey Maggette did just fine as a 6th man. I'm sure Coach K said something to the effect of: "I won't promise you a starting position, but you will get whatever playing time you earn."

I really hope that Thornton does stay. He's a far superior ball handler and distributor than anyone else that we currently have in the fold. Jackson has been talked about as a PG or a combo guard, but his first instinct is to score, and he's a great scorer. I wouldn't want him to get thrust into being the floor leader, especially as a freshman. I hope he'll have Thornton to get him the ball where he can do what he does best.

Edouble
09-03-2015, 01:28 PM
Also, there's no reason to assume that we can't play 3 guards at once, which we've done many times in the past when our back court talent is superior to our front court. I believe we started 3 guys 6'3" or under from 2011 to 2013. Most notably, we settled on a starting lineup that included Quinn Cook, Seth Curry, and Rasheed Sulaimon. None of those guys can sky like Frank Jackson.

However, given that we are welcoming in a studly SF in Jayson Tatum next year, it's probably best to assume that one of them comes off the bench if both Thornton and Allen stay. I'm not writing off Kennard, I just think he's a slight step below those 3 other guys as of now. We'll see what he does this year.

Anyway, I don't see why it would be such a big deal for Frank Jackson to come off the bench. Higher rated recruits have come off the bench for Duke in their freshman year (at least until proven to be superior as a starter, in the case of Chris Duhon). Corey Maggette did just fine as a 6th man. I'm sure Coach K said something to the effect of: "I won't promise you a starting position, but you will get whatever playing time you earn."

I really hope that Thornton does stay. He's a far superior ball handler and distributor than anyone else that we currently have in the fold. Jackson has been talked about as a PG or a combo guard, but his first instinct is to score, and he's a great scorer. I wouldn't want him to get thrust into being the floor leader, especially as a freshman. I hope he'll have Thornton to get him the ball where he can do what he does best.

Aw man, you're just stoking the fire in this thread now?

sagegrouse
09-03-2015, 02:32 PM
Jackson is ranked 13, 14 and 17 in the three rankings services I quickly found. Let's see where he winds up in the RSCI composite. If he stays in the mid teens, then he probably should not expect 30+ minutes per game. If he vaults into the top 5, then it's a different conversation obviously.

I vote that whatever nickname or cheer the Crazies give to Frank include an overt Hot Dog reference! Maybe a nod to Zeppelin's "Ahhhhhhhhh, Hot Dog!" song intro. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BndMLWGQLRM

Oh my, Super Dave. So "RSCI is destiny?" I'm a fan of the RSCI (despite my previous criticism of its use), but, at best, "RSCI is prologue." E.g., Jon Scheyer was #27 and had 32 starts and 34 MPG. Winslow was #13 and averaged 29+ MPG.

subzero02
09-03-2015, 03:50 PM

Are there really 16 guys better than Fabulous Frankie in the class of 2016? I am basing this off of his highlight video but he has an amazing offensive skill set with elite athleticism.

Edouble
09-03-2015, 06:20 PM

I'm not sure that most of today's Crazies are even familiar with Black Dog, much less a pretty deep cut like Hot Dog. That song is 35 years old and sandwiched down in the middle of one of Zep's lesser known albums.

Kedsy
09-04-2015, 12:28 AM
Oh my, Super Dave. So "RSCI is destiny?" I'm a fan of the RSCI (despite my previous criticism of its use), but, at best, "RSCI is prologue." E.g., Jon Scheyer was #27 and had 32 starts and 34 MPG. Winslow was #13 and averaged 29+ MPG.

Citing the recruiting ranking without context isn't very helpful. Combining recruiting rank and experience, Scheyer and Winslow were both in the top four perimeter players in their respective freshman seasons, and thus we should have expected them to play good rotation minutes. If Derryck and Grayson both stay past this season, then a guy in the teens would be the 5th perimeter player (after Derryck, Grayson, Matt, and Jason), and thus shouldn't expect as much run as either Scheyer or Winslow. Of course, if one or more of those four perimeter players leave the program, then a guy ranked in the teens would be in the top four and could expect minutes similar to Jon Scheyer and/or Justise Winslow.

Saratoga2
09-04-2015, 09:34 AM
I was down at the senior softball tourney in Raleigh when Frank gave the nod to Duke. Another outstanding guard for the Duke program. I am willing to accept that the coaches believe he will be a great addition to the program and wait to see how they will integrate him into the team. I did stop by Cameron on the way to the games and enjoyed a nice walk through the hall of fame there. What will the annex that is now under construction be used for?

superdave
09-05-2015, 08:34 PM

Scheyer is a bad example here because the 07 team went 22-11 overall and 8-8 in the conference and lost to VCU in the first round. Scheyer played because they really needed him to because the team was relatively weak. Keep in mind he shot less than 40% from the field for the season. But we all know he was way better than his RSCI ranking, in retrospect. Winslow too.

But the RSCI ranking is highly predictive of minutes, as Kedsy has shown., under Coach K.

SilkyJ
09-05-2015, 09:58 PM

I've been really surprised by his rankings: he's ranked in the mid teens (14 by espn, 17 by scout) and yet he looks like a stud. Must speak to the quality of the 2016 class--I feel like if he was 2015 he'd definitely be top 10, if not top 5. 2015 is obviously a weaker class than '14 or '16 though.

oakvillebluedevil
01-18-2016, 11:41 AM
Long, but it's a great highlight package of his game vs. Alterique Gilbert, headed to UCONN. Haven't seen it posted so figured I'd bump the thread.

It shows a wide variety of skills - I'm really excited about his game. He gets great elevation on his jumper and seems to have a really tight handle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RfjKK89lGg

Bay Area Duke Fan
01-18-2016, 11:58 AM
Long, but it's a great highlight package of his game vs. Alterique Gilbert, headed to UCONN. Haven't seen it posted so figured I'd bump the thread.

It shows a wide variety of skills - I'm really excited about his game. He gets great elevation on his jumper and seems to have a really tight handle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RfjKK89lGg

Is he a better point guard than D Thornton?

nmduke2001
02-06-2016, 11:40 AM
Espn2 had Frank Jackson's Lone Peak High against St. Joseph's of NJ last night. Lone Peak beat a pretty stacked St. Joseph's. Frank reminds me of Jason Williams when he was a Duke. He's not really a point but more than just a scorer. Frank got to the bucket whenever he wanted. He's really athletic and has a pretty good jumper. He and Derryck are going to be fun to watch next year.

JPtheGame
02-06-2016, 12:24 PM
Pretty sure the staff is preparing for potentially losing Allen AND Thornton given the weakness of next year's draft.

I am assuming that Allen will be gone.

To where? Europe?
Allen is not even in the mock drafts for this upcoming year. He's not currently projected as a potential lottery pick next year either.
Wonderful college player. No pro position.

DukieTiger
02-06-2016, 12:29 PM
To where? Europe?
Allen is not even in the mock drafts for this upcoming year. He's not currently projected as a potential lottery pick next year either.

Bruh...

http://www.nbadraft.net/nba_mock_drafts/consensus

That said, the with such a weak draft class, the mocks this year are wildly different. I've seen Brice Johnson, for example, projected anywhere from the top 15 to mid-late second round. Consensus is hard to come by right now. However, that might be all the more reason for Grayson to at least test the waters...

JPtheGame
02-06-2016, 12:39 PM
Bruh...

http://www.nbadraft.net/nba_mock_drafts/consensus

That said, the with such a weak draft class, the mocks this year are wildly different. I've seen Brice Johnson, for example, projected anywhere from the top 15 to mid-late second round. Consensus is hard to come by right now. However, that might be all the more reason for Grayson to at least test the waters...

Bruh....

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2016/

Draft express is pretty much dead on each year.
I will grant you that this is a terrible class but that doesn't mean that 6'4 guys who can't play point and can't guard top wings are going to suddenly be in demand.

Bob Green
02-06-2016, 12:50 PM
(redacted content - destructively negative)

You're being a little hard on Thornton in my opinion. Yes, he has made some bad decisions, but he is a freshman in need of experience. His upside is very high. Specifically, he has the speed to stay in front of the opponents point guard so the potential to develop into an elite defender is there. On offense, he has a strong midrange game and the ability to knockdown 3PT FGs. Once he gains experience, Derryck Thornton is going to be a very solid ball player at Duke.

DukieTiger
02-06-2016, 12:55 PM
Bruh...

I will grant you that this is a terrible class but that doesn't mean that 6'4 guys who can't play point and can't guard top wings are going to suddenly be in demand.

You said he wasn't in any mocks- I just wanted to inform you that he is in at least one. I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you think he's not at least going to explore it. And if he does that, you never know whether he'll stay in or not. Just my opinion that it's too soon to tell for sure.

JasonEvans
02-06-2016, 01:53 PM

Incorrect.

NBADraft.net (http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft) has him #23
HoopsHype (http://hoopshype.com/2016/01/09/nba-mock-draft-2016/) has him #14
CBS's mock (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25471266/nba-draft-big-board-ben-simmons-brandon-ingram-vie-for-no-1) has him #25.
It is premium info, so I cannot post the full detail, but ESPN appears to have Grayson in their 2016 mock (they don't really project a mock, just where a player ranks in his class).

It is true that DraftExpress does not have him in the 2016 draft, but that is just one data point. Many other points make him a very viable player for this year's draft. It is still too early to say but it certainly appears the NBA draft will be something Allen will have to consider once the season is done.

-Jason "I think a fair assessment would be to say that Grayson's stock isn't high enough to make the draft an automatic choice, but it isn't low enough to say the draft is out of the question" Evans

DukeFanSince1990
02-06-2016, 02:24 PM
You're being a little hard on Thornton in my opinion. Yes, he has made some bad decisions, but he is a freshman in need of experience. His upside is very high. Specifically, he has the speed to stay in front of the opponents point guard so the potential to develop into an elite defender is there. On offense, he has a strong midrange game and the ability to knockdown 3PT FGs. Once he gains experience, Derryck Thornton is going to be a very solid ball player at Duke.

To your point, he is playing great D right now.

jgehtland
02-06-2016, 03:02 PM
It is premium info, so I cannot post the full detail, but ESPN appears to have Grayson in their 2016 mock (they don't really project a mock, just where a player ranks in his class).

Last I looked ESPN had him at #23.

Bay Area Duke Fan
02-06-2016, 03:09 PM
To where? Europe?

Dickie V says he's the next Havlicek.

killerleft
02-06-2016, 04:20 PM

Agreed. I'm very impressed with Derryck's game. And every Duke fan should be extremely pleased that he agreed to reclassify and save us from a potentially embarrassing year.

Old man
02-06-2016, 04:36 PM
Agreed. I'm very impressed with Derryck's game. And every Duke fan should be extremely pleased that he agreed to reclassify and save us from a potentially embarrassing year.
Remember Cat as a freshman? Lost his job to Lewis. Now one of the best. Thornton will likely get much better, so let's stay positive.

weezie
02-06-2016, 06:11 PM
Remember Cat as a freshman? Lost his job to Lewis. Now one of the best. Thornton will likely get much better, so let's stay positive.

Right on Old man! I like of which you speak!

lotusland
02-06-2016, 08:25 PM
Bruh...

I don't think JJ plays point guard and Grayson is better equipped, physically, to guard top wings. I guess Redick is 6'5 but Grayson looks bigger to me and there is no comparison between the two as far as athleticism. Grayson's shooting, this year, has been fabulous and I'm not sure JJ, as a sophomore, was that much more advanced. I may be making a better argument for GA to play four years like JJ but I definitely think he has a decent shot at sticking in the league. Justice is short for an NBA 3 and not an elite shooter, for that matter, but he has an NBA position. I actually hope Grayson plays 4 years at Duke before embarking upon a long NBA career but I'll wish him success if he leaves early.

sagegrouse
02-06-2016, 08:39 PM
I don't think JJ plays point guard and Grayson is better equipped, physically, to guard top wings. I guess Redick is 6'5 but Grayson looks bigger to me and there is no comparison between the two as far as athleticism. Grayson's shooting, this year, has been fabulous and I'm not sure JJ, as a sophomore, was that much more advanced. I may be making a better argument for GA to play four years like JJ but I definitely think he has a decent shot at sticking in the league. Justice is short for an NBA 3 and not an elite shooter, for that matter, but he has an NBA position. I actually hope Grayson plays 4 years at Duke before embarking upon a long NBA career but I'll wish him success if he leaves early.
Grayson is an exceptional all-around player. Plus, even at nineteen, he is a bit of a beast and will only get stronger. Did I mention fearless? He'll get some draft interest but can afford to wait.