PDA

View Full Version : Wes Craven - RIP

Udaman
08-31-2015, 02:34 PM
Sad news today that Wes Craven died from cancer.

His Nightmare on Elm Street was...in a word...awesome. It scared the heck out of me, and created a franchise and a boogeyman that has definitely stood the test of time. He also single handily created the "horror parody movie" with Scream. Which was the first movie to really be funny, and terrifying, at the same time (and also created another great character in the "man in the awful mask"). I should also point out that his first movie, "Last House on the Left" is terrifying as well.

In honor of the scares this man put me through....here's my Top 10 scariest movie list

10. Blair Witch Project
9. The Thing (with Kurt Russell)
8. Friday the 13th
7. Poltergeist
6. Alien
5. Nightmare on Elm Street
4. The Ring
3. Jaws
2. The Exorcist
1. Halloween

fuse
08-31-2015, 04:37 PM
Like the list, and agree with most of it. Hellraiser is a notable omission (for me, anyway).

I'm not sure what is more shocking/ surprising- Wes Craven's actual passing, or the fact that Suzy Welch used his death as a platform on twitter to denounce the horror genre as a whole.

Edouble
08-31-2015, 05:48 PM
Sad news today that Wes Craven died from cancer.

His Nightmare on Elm Street was...in a word...awesome. It scared the heck out of me, and created a franchise and a boogeyman that has definitely stood the test of time. He also single handily created the "horror parody movie" with Scream. Which was the first movie to really be funny, and terrifying, at the same time (and also created another great character in the "man in the awful mask"). I should also point out that his first movie, "Last House on the Left" is terrifying as well.

In honor of the scares this man put me through....here's my Top 10 scariest movie list

10. Blair Witch Project
9. The Thing (with Kurt Russell)
8. Friday the 13th
7. Poltergeist
6. Alien
5. Nightmare on Elm Street
4. The Ring
3. Jaws
2. The Exorcist
1. Halloween

Yes, A Nightmare on Elm Street was a great flick... scared the crap out of me, as did part two and (possibly Craven's masterpiece) part three, Dream Warriors.

I had to throw in my Top Ten Scary Movies as well. This is based off of how much these movies still scare me when I watch them today. Like fuse, I am a big fan of the Hellraiser series, but they don't scare me as much as the following 10:

10. The Omen
9. Friday the 13th
8. Halloween
7. Jaws
6. Insidious
5. The Exorcism of Emily Rose
4. The Shining
3. The Exorcist
2. The Ring
1. The Babaduke (spell checker would not allow the correct spelling... ha ha ha)

Udaman
08-31-2015, 06:05 PM
I loved the Babaduke (ha).....but didn't really find it super terrifying. I thought it was just compelling....and scary. I also saw it as a metaphor for dealing with grief (and loss).

By the way, I also really, really, really liked "It Follows" but kind of like Babaduke it wasn't terrifying.

All the other ones really shook me (ie gave me bad dreams). If I had a top 13 then these two would definitely be in it, likely along with Paranormal Activity (which wasn't terrifying, but definitely left a mark)

Wander
08-31-2015, 07:09 PM
I don't have a top 10 list, but I'd like to throw in a vote for my favorite horror movie, The Descent.

Edouble
08-31-2015, 11:03 PM
I loved the Babaduke (ha).....but didn't really find it super terrifying. I thought it was just compelling....and scary. I also saw it as a metaphor for dealing with grief (and loss).

By the way, I also really, really, really liked "It Follows" but kind of like Babaduke it wasn't terrifying.

All the other ones really shook me (ie gave me bad dreams). If I had a top 13 then these two would definitely be in it, likely along with Paranormal Activity (which wasn't terrifying, but definitely left a mark)

After I watched The Babaduke (Go Duke!), I kept waking up. It scared the crap out of me.

The Caller and The Possession are two other quality horror movies (among the waves of "scary" releases over the past 5-6 years) that are pretty frightening.

bjornolf
09-01-2015, 05:52 AM
For some reason, movies with a dose of realism (could possibly happen, even if extremely unlikely) scare me more than straight up horror. For that reason, movies like "The Serpent and the Rainbow" always scared me more than things like "Nightmare on Elm Street", though I loved that movie. I also liked "Halloween" a lot.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-01-2015, 06:48 AM
I don't have a top 10 list, but I'd like to throw in a vote for my favorite horror movie, The Descent.

Creepy scary for sure.

Excellent - a scary movie thread. I would like to add "Alien."

Udaman
09-01-2015, 07:06 AM
Alien was #6 on my list. Absolutely terrifying. The idea that you are truly trapped in space and can't get away. Plus it was a great metaphor for the working class being used by "the man" (or in the movies case the Company). Absolutely brilliant movie as well.

Edouble
09-02-2015, 05:53 PM
Alien was #6 on my list. Absolutely terrifying. The idea that you are truly trapped in space and can't get away. Plus it was a great metaphor for the working class being used by "the man" (or in the movies case the Company). Absolutely brilliant movie as well.

Alien is a masterpiece. I can't say enough about this movie. It didn't make my list, mostly because it doesn't frighten me as much on multiple viewings, but I am still in awe of the film.

Ridley Scott did a brilliant job, IMO, with the camera work. Even in well lit rooms, there seem to be patches of darkness everywhere. The use of silhouettes, reflective surfaces, mists, tiny ship lights etc., just adds to the darkness of space, and the sense of isolation.

We are given the queasy, unsettling, and seldom used in movies, phenomenon of the male rape, and then concurrently, the unwanted devil spawn that results... I always took this as a little nod to Rosemary's Baby, or even The Omen (his mother was a "dog"). The incorporation of the Giger art/concepts is just perfect.

One other thing that impresses me about the movie is how well I feel like I know the seven characters, despite the fact that we don't have that much time to get to know them. The ensemble cast is brilliant with small pieces of passing dialogue, glances on faces, and brief but deliberate interactions all add up to really fine character development.

Udaman
09-03-2015, 04:29 PM
Could not agree more.

It's also about the plight of the "working class." They do what they are told, even though they don't want to. They are taken advantage of. They are pawns who are used (and ultimately sacrificed) for whatever Big Brother wants.

Throw in some terrific acting, some cinematic misdirection (nobody would have thought that Signourney Weaver's character would be the one to survive), and a great ethical debate (Weaver was right that they should not have let the infected person back inside the ship), and an out of nowhere famous scene (the alien coming out of the guy's stomach), and a great ending....and you have a true classic. It's just icing on top that the sequel is also one of the best sequels of all time.

JasonEvans
09-03-2015, 07:21 PM
It's just icing on top that the sequel is also one of the best sequels of all time.

One of?!?!?! I think it might be the best. What are the other contenders?

Empire Strikes Back
Dark Knight
Terminator 2
Star Trek: Wrath of Khan
Godfather Part II
Superman 2
The Two Towers (and Return of the King)
The Road Warrior
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Cap: The Winter Soldier
Toy Story 2

I think Aliens is better than all of those, though there are a few of them that are close.

-Jason "are we keeping the memory of Wes Craven alive by talking about films that he had nothing to do with?" Evans

Udaman
09-04-2015, 10:52 AM
Love these lists.

JE - yes, one could certainly make the argument that Aliens is the best sequel ever. Personally, I don't have it there. My list would be (and I'm not including books that are in a series, because that's not really a sequel to me....more like a sequence....so no Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter).

Honorable Mention: Lethal Weapon 2, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Shrek 2, Last 2 Mission Impossible Movies, Before Sunset

10. Superman 2. Special effects aside, it was much better than the first one, and a really good movie as well.
9. Terminator 2. Another Cameron sequel that was probably better than the first.
8. Spiderman 2. Doc Ock was wonderful. Movie was great from start to finish. Best Spiderman movie ever.
7. The Dark Knight. Best of all the Batman movies. Best Joker ever.
6. Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan. KHHHAAAAN! KHHHAAAAN! Great movie; a million times better than first; great villain; great ending.
5. X-Men 2/X-Men Days of Future Past /X-Men First Class. I mean...really. All three of these are great movies. Great.
4. Godfather II. I don't adore this movie like many do (and many could argue it's the best sequel). But the parts with DeNiro are splendid, and the ending is incredible.
3. Aliens. We all know why
2. Empire Strikes Back. To come out with a movie so good after such a great first movie...that's impressive. And best Star Wars of all as well.
1. Toy Story 3. One of my favorite movies of all time, and a wonderful end to a great franchise. Powerful, sad, funny, touching. The end, with the kid waiving goodbye....yeesh.

fuse
09-04-2015, 10:58 AM
Love these lists.

JE - yes, one could certainly make the argument that Aliens is the best sequel ever. Personally, I don't have it there. My list would be (and I'm not including books that are in a series, because that's not really a sequel to me....more like a sequence....so no Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter).

Honorable Mention: Lethal Weapon 2, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Shrek 2, Last 2 Mission Impossible Movies, Before Sunset

10. Superman 2. Special effects aside, it was much better than the first one, and a really good movie as well.
9. Terminator 2. Another Cameron sequel that was probably better than the first.
8. Spiderman 2. Doc Ock was wonderful. Movie was great from start to finish. Best Spiderman movie ever.
7. The Dark Knight. Best of all the Batman movies. Best Joker ever.
6. Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan. KHHHAAAAN! KHHHAAAAN! Great movie; a million times better than first; great villain; great ending.
5. X-Men 2/X-Men Days of Future Past /X-Men First Class. I mean...really. All three of these are great movies. Great.
4. Godfather II. I don't adore this movie like many do (and many could argue it's the best sequel). But the parts with DeNiro are splendid, and the ending is incredible.
3. Aliens. We all know why
2. Empire Strikes Back. To come out with a movie so good after such a great first movie...that's impressive. And best Star Wars of all as well.
1. Toy Story 3. One of my favorite movies of all time, and a wonderful end to a great franchise. Powerful, sad, funny, touching. The end, with the kid waiving goodbye....yeesh.

Scratching my head on Superman 2, Terminator 2 and Spiderman 2. In their day, were they good movies? Yes. They don't really stand the test of time, not sure I would go out of my way to watch any of them. Jason's suggestion of the Road Warrior. No love for Sharknado 2? ;-)