PDA

View Full Version : ESPN3 coming to TV

Olympic Fan
08-29-2015, 12:51 PM
ESPN is introducing a new channel to televise ESPN3 events (which were previously only available on the internet):

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2015/08/espn-introduces-new-college-sports-service-espn-college-extra/

It looks like the new network will be widely available. Time-Warner Cable, for instance, will include the new channel.

This is great for us since every ACC football game and most ACC basketball games are available on ESPN3 (when not picked by an over-the-air network).

The service starts Saturday, Seot. 5 -- Clemson-Wofford is one of the first games available.

I would guess that NCCU-Duke would be on the new network on Sept. 12.

peloton
08-29-2015, 01:07 PM
So you're saying I bought my Chromecast streaming media player for nothing?! :) But seriously, thanks for the info and that's great to hear.

SCMatt33
08-29-2015, 01:42 PM
ESPN is introducing a new channel to televise ESPN3 events (which were previously only available on the internet):

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2015/08/espn-introduces-new-college-sports-service-espn-college-extra/

It looks like the new network will be widely available. Time-Warner Cable, for instance, will include the new channel.

This is great for us since every ACC football game and most ACC basketball games are available on ESPN3 (when not picked by an over-the-air network).

The service starts Saturday, Seot. 5 -- Clemson-Wofford is one of the first games available.

I would guess that NCCU-Duke would be on the new network on Sept. 12.

Unless I've interpreted it wrong, ESPN College extra is simply a direct successor to ESPN Game Plan and Full Court, and combines those two, along with the "NFL Red Zone" style Goal Line and Buzzer Beater channels. From what I've read on media blogs, these games will only "be available" on a Sunday Ticket-like package where you pay a set price for the season, which is exactly how these games were available under the old Game Plan/Full Court system. It is simply a rebranding of these services under a single umbrella, as opposed to a new single channel that would be included in either an expanded tier or sports tier package. I haven't read the plans for all providers yet, so I guess that it's possible that someone will include this with a sports tier subscription, but I don't think that it's likely.

Olympic Fan
08-29-2015, 02:03 PM
Unless I've interpreted it wrong, ESPN College extra is simply a direct successor to ESPN Game Plan and Full Court, and combines those two, along with the "NFL Red Zone" style Goal Line and Buzzer Beater channels. From what I've read on media blogs, these games will only "be available" on a Sunday Ticket-like package where you pay a set price for the season, which is exactly how these games were available under the old Game Plan/Full Court system. It is simply a rebranding of these services under a single umbrella, as opposed to a new single channel that would be included in either an expanded tier or sports tier package. I haven't read the plans for all providers yet, so I guess that it's possible that someone will include this with a sports tier subscription, but I don't think that it's likely.

I think it's a bit different than the old Game/Plan (from the release):

ESPN College Extra live events from FBS conferences (including the ACC, The American, Big 12, MAC and Sun Belt) and FCS conferences (Atlantic Sun, Big South, Horizon League, MAAC, MEAC, MVC, Pioneer, Southland, Summit League, SWAC, WAC and more) will be delivered to fans on up to eight channels through a sports tier or other affiliated TV package.

I'm assuming it's on the same sports tier package on Time-Warner than includes CBS Sports Network, which I have to have to see Duke-Tulane.

SCMatt33
08-29-2015, 02:31 PM
I think it's a bit different than the old Game/Plan (from the release):

ESPN College Extra live events from FBS conferences (including the ACC, The American, Big 12, MAC and Sun Belt) and FCS conferences (Atlantic Sun, Big South, Horizon League, MAAC, MEAC, MVC, Pioneer, Southland, Summit League, SWAC, WAC and more) will be delivered to fans on up to eight channels through a sports tier or other affiliated TV package.

I'm assuming it's on the same sports tier package on Time-Warner than includes CBS Sports Network, which I have to have to see Duke-Tulane.

It's possible that it goes on the sports tier, but to suddenly include 8 channels of overlapping games on the same sports tier as CBS sports, out of market conference channels, the tennis channel, etc. seems excessive. Awful Announcing (http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/espn-gameplan-is-no-more-espn-college-extra-to-take-its-place.html) was able to find someone advertising prices for commercial establishments to get the bundle through DirectTV, and while I certainly won't take that as gospel, it still seems like its a standalone bundle on the commercial level. The official press release also leave the door open for it to be given the Game Plan/Sunday Ticket treatment by providers as opposed to bundling with the existing sports tier. There also doesn't have to be a single cut and dry answer. Different providers could offer it in different ways. I do think that the official press release is a bit misleading as it states that events that were formerly ESPN3 exclusives will now be on TV, which leads you to believe that none of those events were previously on TV at all, when many were available under the Game Plan/Full Court packages.

Hopefully, this will still serve as an overall upgrade over what was previously available. From what I've read, the new service will be available in HD, which was not always the case for game plan/Full Court. The press release also indicates that Olympic sports will be available on the package so in that way, there should be some events that were not on TV at all before that are on TV now. So unless there's a huge price jump from the old style plans, you will get a lot more bang for your buck, even if the package is given the Sunday Ticket treatment. Either way, I'm still streaming this stuff, as I have Comcast, who is notably absent from the list of available providers.

Duke95
08-29-2015, 06:26 PM
The ocho is not far away.

msdukie
08-29-2015, 07:22 PM
Time Warner/Bright House added the 8 channels last year for people with the sports pass ($10 per month) at no extra charge. This is a rebrand of ESPN Game Plan and ESPN Full Court plus ESPN Goal Line and ESPN Buzzer Beater (which are still a separate channel depending on season). Last year was the first year they started adding them to some cable systems as part of the sports pack instead of buying the package separately or for x$ per game. This package looks like it also adds some college baseball.

Other than the rename and adding baseball, the only real change is that the package is available in HD (which it was last year when streaming - just not on TV). Looks like DirecTV has it in HD but it is already up on new channel numbers on BrightHouse and it is still only SD. I also spoke with BrightHouse yesterday and they are not adding it in HD at this time, so other than watching it on DirecTV, there is no indication you will actually get it in HD on cable. For the most part, this is basically what we had last year.

You will get blacked out ACC Network games on this, and ESPN3 men's and women's games. Though if there are more than 8 games on at a time, there is no guarantee they will show the game.

Jarhead
08-29-2015, 10:05 PM
Down hear in Moore County, NC I will be watching the Duke vs Tulane game next Thursday in my own living room on a 55 inch Samsung. My TV provider is Time Warner Cable, and the game will be on CBSSN channel 315. I already have it set up to record the game, but I am sure that I will watch it live. My thanks to the Reilly post on the gems upthread.

devildeac
08-30-2015, 08:30 AM
Down hear in Moore County, NC I will be watching the Duke vs Tulane game next Thursday in my own living room on a 55 inch Samsung. My TV provider is Time Warner Cable, and the game will be on CBSSN channel 315. I already have it set up to record the game, but I am sure that I will watch it live. My thanks to the Reilly post on the gems upthread.

This is great news and we'll be tuning in channel 315 that night, hoping we have the same cable package as you and Mrs. Jarhead. I do have one concern about your post/info: Reilly has no post in this thread:confused::rolleyes:.

WV_Iron_Duke
08-30-2015, 10:14 AM
Bought a Roku3 last year primarily to watch Duke sports on ESPN3. The game with NC Central is scheduled for ESPN3. Also, You can watch it through Tuesday the following week.

Jarhead
08-30-2015, 11:15 AM
This is great news and we'll be tuning in channel 315 that night, hoping we have the same cable package as you and Mrs. Jarhead. I do have one concern about your post/info: Reilly has no post in this thread:confused::rolleyes:.

Oh:confused:

Olympic Fan
08-30-2015, 12:21 PM
I checked my channel lineup and I too found the eight new channels (391-398 on Time-Warner). They are on the sports tier that I already buy -- the sports tier that includes the CBS Sports Network, the NFL Network (including their goal line channel) and about a dozen more. BTW, the sports tier costs me $8.95 a month.

BigWayne
08-31-2015, 12:41 PM
This discussion was started on the football game thread. Maybe some posts got moved.

devildeac
08-31-2015, 12:49 PM
This discussion was started on the football game thread. Maybe some posts got moved.

That'd make sense and explain why Jarhead posted that and I re-read all the posts here and couldn't find any by Reilly that he referenced.:o

msdukie
09-01-2015, 10:58 PM
Now my 8 new Brighthouse channels have been renamed as HD channels, but they are still showing the test channel in window-boxed SD. Guess we will find out Saturday.

BigWayne
09-03-2015, 01:42 AM
DirecTV will carry this stuff on channels 788-794 and it will be included in the Sports Pack, which runs about $14/month. The primary content of the SportsPack is all the regional sports channels from around the country. There are a lot of blackouts on these channels for pro sports and sometimes even for college games. Last year, when Duke football was on the regional networks, NESN (Boston area) was blacked out for me, but I could get the games on MSG (NY area).

DirecTV page on this topic. (https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1689/~/since-espn-no-longer-offers-gameplan-and-full-court,-where-can-i-watch)

BigWayne
09-05-2015, 11:22 AM
Channels 788-798 show a variety of games, but not all ESPN3 games as the State game is not available. Channel 787 has Akron at Oklahoma on a $39.99 PPV.

Olympic Fan
09-05-2015, 11:42 AM
I have also been getting a test signal on all my TWC extra channels (392-399).

I was disappointed that I could not see the Wake-Elon game Thursday night, so I called TWC Friday to ask about the new channels. I was told that TWC was having some installation problems, but technicians were working on it and the new channels would be available starting Saturday .. I guess we'll see.

Son of Jarhead
09-12-2015, 01:00 PM
I have also been getting a test signal on all my TWC extra channels (392-399).

I was disappointed that I could not see the Wake-Elon game Thursday night, so I called TWC Friday to ask about the new channels. I was told that TWC was having some installation problems, but technicians were working on it and the new channels would be available starting Saturday .. I guess we'll see.

Those channels on TWC (392-399) list many football games today, but I don't see the DUKE v. NCCU game listed among them. Also, those channels appear to be part of TWC's aggravating $8.99/mo. "Sports Pass".

Kimist
09-12-2015, 02:34 PM
Does anyone know if the ESPN3 games are available via ATT U-verse?? To include their HD channels??

(If so, how does it work when there are at least three local ACC games on ESPN3.com ??)

If I had my druthers, games are much more enjoyable on my large TV than sitting in front of a computer screen. . .)

k

brevity
09-12-2015, 03:41 PM
Does anyone know if the ESPN3 games are available via ATT U-verse?? To include their HD channels??

(If so, how does it work when there are at least three local ACC games on ESPN3.com ??)

If I had my druthers, games are much more enjoyable on my large TV than sitting in front of a computer screen. . .)

k

AT&T U-Verse has 8 standard definition channels for ESPN College Extra (614-621). No HD. And the Duke-NCCU game is not on.

Interestingly, Week 3's game against Northwestern will be on my ABC affiliate, and I am not in North Carolina.

Edouble
09-12-2015, 03:59 PM

k

Do you have a TV with HDMI ports? You can easily go from computer/laptop to SmartTV with a USB to HDMI cord. This is how I watch lots of sports.

Kimist
09-12-2015, 04:09 PM
AT&T U-Verse has 8 standard definition channels for ESPN College Extra (614-621). No HD. And the Duke-NCCU game is not on.

Interestingly, Week 3's game against Northwestern will be on my ABC affiliate, and I am not in North Carolina.

Thanks for the info. . .I was looking around the HD channel numbers.

Good news is I receive the channels you provided. Bad news is I have to pay another $5 to view them.

( I did see where one of the viewable afternoon TV games is Tulane / Georgia Tech. )

Guess I'll just get friendly with my laptop tonight. . .

k