PDA

View Full Version : FB: @Tulane - Thurs Sept 3 at 9:30 EDT on CBSSN

Reilly
08-28-2015, 01:05 PM
I'll leave it to the moderators to clean up the title and move some other relevant posts here talking about game 1.

BigWayne
08-28-2015, 01:35 PM
Already in my DVR schedule! I'm not the expert some of you are, but I think this is the first time ever that a Duke Football opening game has been on nationwide TV.

Bob Green
08-28-2015, 01:50 PM
...could develop into a Hurricane with the potential to drop a lot of rain on the Gulf Coast next week. TS Erika is currently between Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic tracking WNW:

EDIT: For general information purposes, here is a link where folks can see lots of imagery off weather satellites: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/satellite.php

Dev11
08-28-2015, 01:54 PM
Using this game as my opportunity to visit New Orleans for the first time. Can't wait.

jimsumner
08-28-2015, 01:56 PM
Already in my DVR schedule! I'm not the expert some of you are, but I think this is the first time ever that a Duke Football opening game has been on nationwide TV.

Duke opened at Southern Cal on national TV in 1962. Duke was ranked eighth in the AP poll, Southern Cal was unranked. The Trojans won 14-7 and went on the win the national title. Duke finished 8-2 and didn't see another eight-win season until 1989 and hasn't opened a season nationally-ranked since then.

No anticipated parallels with Tulane, 2015.

sagegrouse
08-28-2015, 01:59 PM

The opening game of the 1962 season at the University of Southern California, which I remember watching on TV while at Duke. Duke lost, 7-14, in a game in which we were favored. We were ranked #8 by AP at the beginning of the season. As a result of the loss, we fell out of the rankings and never returned, despite posting an 8-2 record and going undefeated in the ACC. The only other game we lost was to Georgia Tech, 20-9. Duke turned down an invitation to the Gator Bowl.

What was interesting is that there was only one game per week televised most weeks, so this was the national game of the week. In some weeks there were three or four regional telecasts.

BigWayne
08-28-2015, 02:09 PM
Duke opened at Southern Cal on national TV in 1962. Duke was ranked eighth in the AP poll, Southern Cal was unranked. The Trojans won 14-7 and went on the win the national title. Duke finished 8-2 and didn't see another eight-win season until 1989 and hasn't opened a season nationally-ranked since then.

No anticipated parallels with Tulane, 2015.

OK, so first time on color TV maybe?

jimsumner
08-28-2015, 02:12 PM
OK, so first time on color TV maybe?

Not sure. I didn't have color TV in 1962. We didn't get a color TV since late 1966 and the first sports event I saw in color was Lew Alcindor and UCLA beating Duke by 30 or so. True story.

But the January 1, 1962 Rose Bowl was the first college football game broadcast in color on national TV, so the Duke-Southern Cal game could have been in color.

Reilly
08-28-2015, 02:29 PM
... we fell out of the rankings and never returned, despite posting an 8-2 record and going undefeated in the ACC ...

And that 1962 Duke team ended up as the 20th best in the country per SRS:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/1962-ratings.html

However, the poll then only went 10-deep (I gather) and all 10 ranked did have a higher SRS than Duke:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/1962-polls.html

Now that our update from 53 years ago is done, how about that Thomas Sirk?

jimsumner
08-28-2015, 02:47 PM
And that 1962 Duke team ended up as the 20th best in the country per SRS:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/1962-ratings.html

However, the poll then only went 10-deep (I gather) and all 10 ranked did have a higher SRS than Duke:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/1962-polls.html

Now that our update from 53 years ago is done, how about that Thomas Sirk?

The AP poll only went 10-deep in 1962. But UPI went 20-deep and had Duke at No. 14 at the end of the season.

Olympic Fan
08-28-2015, 02:50 PM

Don't want to be a downer, but it's silly to make a big deal about this being "on nationwide TV" -- its on a CBS Sports Network, not CBS ... its a cable outlet that's not nearly as available as any ESPN game. I know you have to buy the special sports package (at $8.95 a month) to get it on Time-Warner Cable.

Yes, it's available nationwide, but so was last year's opener on ESPN3 ...

There are six games Thursday night on networks that get more national exposure than CBS Sports Network. And Duke-Tulane is one of three that CBSSN will televise Thursday -- a tripleheader that starts with FIU at UCF, then Duke at Tulane then Colorado at Hawaii.

The 1962 Duke-Southern Cal game was on a major network (I think ABC, maybe NBC). That was an era when you got one nationally televised game a week -- so that was HUGE. No comparison with our exposure this week.

Quite a few Duke openers since have been televised -- I know the 1991 and 1992 openers against Florida State were available on national cable.

I'm as excited as anyone for the start of this season -- but not because this game in on a minor sports cable network.

Bob Green
08-28-2015, 02:55 PM
Times-Picayune writer Jeff Duncan predicts Tulane goes 5-7 this season starting off with a loss to Duke:

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2015/08/examining_the_crystal_ball_for.html#incart_river

Duke isn't as talented as previous years but the Blue Devils have enough experience to pull this one out late against a Tulane squad that's a year away from pulling off an upset of this magnitude.

Reilly
08-28-2015, 03:06 PM
... it's silly to make a big deal about this being "on nationwide TV" -- its on a CBS Sports Network, not CBS ...

Hey, if it's good enough for Fordham, Colgate, Idaho State and Charlotte, it's good enough for us:

http://www.cbssportsnetwork.com/sites/pdf/2015_college_football_schedule.pdf

Thursday night on a hi-def channel that's part of my cable package beats watching the scores crawl by on the bottom of the screen and seeing if there's been any change ... or calling that 1-900 number for score updates that used to cost $0.50 or something (maybe we just did that for baseball?) ... we also used to call the sports department of the local newspaper since they had an AP wire, and ask them for the latest score ....

OldPhiKap
08-28-2015, 03:11 PM
Hey, if it's good enough for Fordham, Colgate, Idaho State and Charlotte, it's good enough for us:

Thursday night on a hi-def channel that's part of my cable package beats watching the scores crawl by on the bottom of the screen and seeing if there's been any change ... or calling that 1-900 number for score updates that used to cost $0.50 or something (maybe we just did that for baseball?) ... we also used to call the sports department of the local newspaper since they had an AP wire, and ask them for the latest score ....

. . . or just waiting for the Sunday paper to see how badly we had lost . . . .

Personally, if I can pull it up in high def on the television, that's good. If folks can do that from coast to coast, that's great.

LGD!!!!

sagegrouse
08-28-2015, 03:17 PM

. . . or just waiting for the Sunday paper to see how bad we lost . . . .

Personally, if I can pull it up in high def on the television, that's good. If folks can do that from coast to coast, that's great.

LGD!!!!

Back in our heyday of the early 1960's, there was at least one season when a couple of assistant coaches brought the film of the latest away game to Page Auditorium on Tuesday or Wednesday and screened the game for an impressive crowd of Duke undergrads. We loved it-- at least when we won. Ya' gotta remember that local sports had no access to game highlights, and there was no national sports program.

The "good ol' days" left a lot more time for studying or other pursuits.

Olympic Fan
08-28-2015, 03:27 PM
Back in our heyday of the early 1960's, there was at least one season when a couple of assistant coaches brought the film of the latest away game to Page Auditorium on Tuesday or Wednesday and screened the game for an impressive crowd of Duke undergrads. We loved it-- at least when we won. Ya' gotta remember that local sports had no access to game highlights, and there was no national sports program.

The "good ol' days" left a lot more time for studying or other pursuits.

Indeed. You have to be old enough to remember that when ABC debuted Monday night football, one of the big draws was a five-minute highlight session at halftime, showing the big plays from the previous Sunday's games. We had no other access to those highlights.

And CD Chesley, who launched ACC basketball on TV in 1958 -- years ahead of any other conference -- actually made more money with his weekly Notre Dame highlight show -- a one hour condensation of the previous Irish game -- cutting out all huddles, timeouts and several opponents' drives. I'll never forget the sound of Lindsay Nelson's voice saying, "And we now move to further action in the third quarter ..."

The show was a huge hit in an era when teams could only be on TV twice a year -- and with one game a week, very few teams reached the maximum. As Sage points out, there were almost no local highlights of national games and there was no national sports show that would show such highlights.

(Sage, give me a few hours and I'll figure out why that state of affairs was Woodrow Wilson's fault).

OldPhiKap
08-28-2015, 03:30 PM
(Sage, give me a few hours and I'll figure out why that state of affairs was Woodrow Wilson's fault).

I blame the New Deal.

{ducks}

LET'S GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Green
08-28-2015, 03:34 PM
I'll never forget the sound of Lindsay Nelson's voice saying, "And we now move to further action in the third quarter ..."

I loved watching the Notre Dame highlights. Ah, the memories of our youth are certainly sweet.

:cool: points for OF!

jimsumner
08-28-2015, 03:35 PM
Indeed. You have to be old enough to remember that when ABC debuted Monday night football, one of the big draws was a five-minute highlight session at halftime, showing the big plays from the previous Sunday's games. We had no other access to those highlights.

And CD Chesley, who launched ACC basketball on TV in 1958 -- years ahead of any other conference -- actually made more money with his weekly Notre Dame highlight show -- a one hour condensation of the previous Irish game -- cutting out all huddles, timeouts and several opponents' drives. I'll never forget the sound of Lindsay Nelson's voice saying, "And we now move to further action in the third quarter ..."

The show was a huge hit in an era when teams could only be on TV twice a year -- and with one game a week, very few teams reached the maximum. As Sage points out, there were almost no local highlights of national games and there was no national sports show that would show such highlights.

"And we now move to further action in the third quarter ..." Usually preceded by "after an exchange of punts."

rasputin
08-28-2015, 03:50 PM
"And we now move to further action in the third quarter ..." Usually preceded by "after an exchange of punts."

You beat me to it: "after an exchange of punts," indeed. That was the phrase that has stuck in my mind all these years.

That, and "crimson and clover"

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-28-2015, 03:55 PM

Ugh....

Thanks, Woodrow!

devildeac
08-28-2015, 04:42 PM
I blame the New Deal.

{ducks}

LET'S GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dang, I'd have sworn you'd blame Der Führer.:rolleyes:

930 EDT game? I'll be lucky to stay awake until halftime. :o

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-28-2015, 05:06 PM
Y'all are talking TV to follow big games.... I can remember my grandfather, my father and others following on the radio when I was itty bitty and even up until I enrolled at Duke myself... Add Penfield's great coverage set a standard. Ask Bob Harris. Add would describe the action on the field in terms of right to left or left to right on the radio dial. His voice was perfect for announcing the games. Mr. Penfield was a Wallace Wade hire, a pioneer in sports broadcasting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Add_Penfield

Some of the greatest descriptions of college football as it rose in popularity in the US came from the radio announcers.

DU82
08-28-2015, 05:44 PM
Using this game as my opportunity to visit New Orleans for the first time. Can't wait.

Same here. See you in section 115 (if my tickets arrive by then!)

peloton
08-28-2015, 06:24 PM
930 EDT game? I'll be lucky to stay awake until halftime. :o

DevilDeac, I'm definitely going to have the same problem...at my age the ol' energy level lets me down sometimes later in the day. With that in mind though, I'm going to stay awake for our opener if it kills me (and it might the next day at work). Red Bull, NoDoz...I'm going to take something to make sure I stay awake for this game. I have to be at work at 7:30 so it'll be a rough Friday for me but this is the first game/Sirk debut - no way I'm going to miss it. I even called up Time Warner a few days ago to get the NBC Sports Network and associated channels in the package.

So, let's see:
Ability to watch the game in the comfort of my own home (on the couch...can't get too comfortable though - could be trouble even with caffeine coursing through my veins) - check!
Appropriate junk food (I think Snyder's of Hanover Honey Mustard & Onion Pretzel Pieces will do very nicely) - check!
My fave adult beverage (this could lead to serious trouble - have to be careful...at my age having an adult beverage or two is the same as taking Sominex) - check!
Cheering loudly for Duke as the Blue Devils pull out a victory in Nawlins (uh, this is doable up until halftime or so and then it's "quiet time" as the wife goes to bed - believe I might end up in the doghouse for awhile) - (partial)check!

I'm so ready for this game - can't wait to see Sirk and everyone else in action. A shoutout to The Human Battering Ram (Jela) - here's to a quick (but full) recovery and we can't wait to see you back in action on the field. Let's go Duke!

sagegrouse
08-28-2015, 06:35 PM

Idle question (and keep the answers clean): Do you think all the guys running around with the nickname "Woody" were named after Woodrow Wilson? In fact, I can't think of another Woodrow of that generation. The Woody in my HS class was a "Woodrow."

duke blue brewcrew
08-28-2015, 06:41 PM
I'll leave it to the moderators to clean up the title and move some other relevant posts here talking about game 1.

FINALY! We are not months, or even weeks away...we are DAYS away from the first game of the season. Kickoff to the season opener is a finger tips reach away from taking place. Man that feels good! There's a pep in the step, my shoulders are less tense and I'm smiling a little easier because there's less than a week to go. It's just about TIME FOR KICKOFF PEOPLE! GO DUKE!

TruBlu
08-28-2015, 06:47 PM
I listened to the 1964 Duke - Tulane game (won by Tulane 17 - 0) on my new transistor radio in 1964. It was a horrible game played in a torrential downpour, possibly due to a hurricane or a tropical storm. Even our radio play-by-play guy was sick, and could hardly speak. Hopefully, weather won't be a factor on Thursday.

(I am reasonably sure that those 1964 Green Wave players have used up their eligibility now, though.)

Let's get the season started on the right foot.

GO DUKE

Olympic Fan
08-28-2015, 07:06 PM
I listened to the 1964 Duke - Tulane game (won by Tulane 17 - 0) on my new transistor radio in 1964. It was a horrible game played in a torrential downpour, possibly due to a hurricane or a tropical storm. Even our radio play-by-play guy was sick, and could hardly speak. Hopefully, weather won't be a factor on Thursday.

(I am reasonably sure that those 1964 Green Wave players have used up their eligibility now, though.)

Let's get the season started on the right foot.

GO DUKE

The 1964 Duke-Tulane game was delayed because of Hurricane Hilda. It was originally scheduled for Oct. 3, but with the hurricane threatening, it was moved to Nov. 28 as the last game of the season -- one of the few times in more than half a century when we didn't end with UNC.

The delay really hurt us. That Duke team got off to strong start (4-0-1), but an accumulation of injuries and bad breaks led to four straight losses heading into the rescheduled Tulane game. I don't recall any bad weather that day, but if it was rain, it was not a hurricane or anything like it. More is was a battered and disheartened Duke team that didn't want to play the game. Had we played it on Oct. 3, I have no doubt that Duke would have won ... but I'm not sure that would have made a difference in the long run, except the '64 Devils would have finished 5-4-1 instead of 4-5-1.

jimsumner
08-28-2015, 07:29 PM

GO DUKE

Well, if they haven't, they'd all be in their 70s by now.

Bob Green
08-28-2015, 07:39 PM
Duke will wear Blue Helmets, White Jerseys and White Pants in the season opener.

nyesq83
08-28-2015, 08:16 PM
Grass field + expected tropical rain + white unis = better have good stain removers

Hopefully Sirk will bring the sunshine at night to his first start as no. 1 QB.

Then I can continue to call him Sirk da Soleil!

Olympic Fan
08-28-2015, 09:51 PM
Grass field + expected tropical rain + white unis = better have good stain removers

Hopefully Sirk will bring the sunshine at night to his first start as no. 1 QB.

Then I can continue to call him Sirk da Soleil!

Actually, just a 10 percent chances of rain Thursday, according to the weather bureau's 10-day forecast:

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/New+Orleans+LA+USLA0338:1:US

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-28-2015, 09:59 PM
Actually, just a 10 percent chances of rain Thursday, according to the weather bureau's 10-day forecast:

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/New+Orleans+LA+USLA0338:1:US

Open up the forecast for that date and you'll see the 10% prediction is for the daytime hours. For the evening the current prediction is 60% chance of scattered thunderstorms.

Over the past 10 days, the long range forecast been changing quite a bit... and it will continue to change as we get closer to game day.

The white uniforms will be very visible for a night game that may include rain... better than the olive green of the Green Wave.

devildeac
08-28-2015, 10:10 PM
Idle question (and keep the answers clean): Do you think all the guys running around with the nickname "Woody" were named after Woodrow Wilson? In fact, I can't think of another Woodrow of that generation. The Woody in my HS class was a "Woodrow."

Now this is a "Woody."

-bdbd
08-29-2015, 03:15 AM
In recent years, most Woody kids have been named after Woody Harrelson, unfortunately... :eek:

Nice to see that Vegas still has Duke as a solid favorite. I've seen several numbers, but generally the line, I think, started around "Duke by 12" and has declined to about "Duke by 8." But Duke has a solid history in the last three years of beating the spread. A solid favorite in an event!! :D

Bob Green
08-29-2015, 07:44 AM
Tropical Storm Erika could be breaking up:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT5+shtml/290854.shtml

Although this would normally be an appropriate time for a tropical storm watch for portions of southern Florida following typical timelines, we have elected to wait until later today to see if the circulation of Erika has survived its interaction with Hispaniola. An Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft will be investigating Erika later this morning. There is a significant chance that no watches or warnings for Florida will be required.

nyesq83
08-29-2015, 07:51 AM
The white uniforms will be very visible for a night game that may include rain... better than the olive green of the Green Wave.

Very good point.

sagegrouse
08-29-2015, 10:40 AM
In recent years, most Woody kids have been named after Woody Harrelson, unfortunately... :eek:

Nice to see that Vegas still has Duke as a solid favorite. I've seen several numbers, but generally the line, I think, started around "Duke by 12" and has declined to about "Duke by 8." But Duke has a solid history in the last three years of beating the spread. A solid favorite in an event!! :D

Woody is a Woodrow:

Woodrow Tracy "Woody" Harrelson, who was born in Midland, Texas, is an American actor, activist and playwright. Wikipedia

AustinDevil
08-29-2015, 10:52 AM
Same here. See you in section 115 (if my tickets arrive by then!)

I am counting days to get back to New Orleans and see the Devils in person for the first time since the UNC game last fall. If I understand correctly that both of you are on your first visit, remember that if you love New Orleans, New Orleans will love you back! It's my favorite city in the US and one of my favorite destinations anywhere. Hope you're sticking around to explore the city some.

AustinDevil
08-29-2015, 11:04 AM
Open up the forecast for that date and you'll see the 10% prediction is for the daytime hours. For the evening the current prediction is 60% chance of scattered thunderstorms.

Over the past 10 days, the long range forecast been changing quite a bit... and it will continue to change as we get closer to game day.

Erika has dissipated and the heavy rain is not currently forecast to extend west of the Florida panhandle. Weather.com has dropped the New Orleans Thursday evening rain chance to 40%. There's always a good chance an outdoor event in south Louisiana might be wet, but this is at least an improvement in the odds.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-29-2015, 11:14 AM
Erika has dissipated and the heavy rain is not currently forecast to extend west of the Florida panhandle. Weather.com has dropped the New Orleans Thursday evening rain chance to 40%. There's always a good chance an outdoor event in south Louisiana might be wet, but this is at least an improvement in the odds.

Yes, it is! Rain is a part of life in that part of the Gulf region.

The weather predictions have been changing frequently..... I adapt to rain, but not thunderstorms.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-29-2015, 11:21 AM
I am counting days to get back to New Orleans and see the Devils in person for the first time since the UNC game last fall. If I understand correctly that both of you are on your first visit, remember that if you love New Orleans, New Orleans will love you back! It's my favorite city in the US and one of my favorite destinations anywhere. Hope you're sticking around to explore the city some.

I concur ... New Orleans is my favorite city. The food, the culture, the music offer so much.

The city will have lots of visitors next week because of the Southern Decadence Festival Sept. 2-7. The Louisiana Seafood Festival will also be going on Sept. 4-6 in the City Park Festival Grounds.

sagegrouse
08-29-2015, 11:54 AM
I concur ... New Orleans is my favorite city. The food, the culture, the music offer so much.

The city will have lots of visitors next week because of the Southern Decadence Festival Sept. 2-7. The Louisiana Seafood Festival will also be going on Sept. 4-6 in the City Park Festival Grounds.

Ah, yes! The "Southern Decadence" festival in New Orleans. Redundant much?

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-29-2015, 12:04 PM
Ah, yes! The "Southern Decadence" festival in New Orleans. Redundant much?
All depends on your point of view.

peloton
08-29-2015, 12:28 PM
...The Louisiana Seafood Festival will also be going on Sept. 4-6 in the City Park Festival Grounds.

As one who loves seafood, I can only imagine how great this festival is. Getting your fill (and then some) of seafood in Nawlins? I would say that's a seafood lover's dream; I've got to make it down there someday (and it will happen). By the way, DITBD and others making the trip to NOLA for the game - you folks have a great trip (as I know you will), enjoy lots of delicious food, but don't forget to "get down to business" and cheer the Blue Devils onto victory!

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-29-2015, 01:07 PM
As one who loves seafood, I can only imagine how great this festival is. Getting your fill (and then some) of seafood in Nawlins? I would say that's a seafood lover's dream; I've got to make it down there someday (and it will happen). By the way, DITBD and others making the trip to NOLA for the game - you folks have a great trip (as I know you will), enjoy lots of delicious food, but don't forget to "get down to business" and cheer the Blue Devils onto victory!

Don't worry about that! I've got my focus on with a plan ready for game day.

OldPhiKap
08-29-2015, 04:31 PM
The best way to think of New Orleans is that it is the northernmost part of the Caribbean. A unique city full of great music, food, and culture. Make sure to hit Preservation Hall if you can.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-29-2015, 04:53 PM
The best way to think of New Orleans is that it is the northernmost part of the Caribbean. A unique city full of great music, food, and culture. Make sure to hit Preservation Hall if you can.
I've also checked to find out if Ellis Marsalis is playing at Snug Harbor on Friday evening..... but not this time.

Since you also attended our great university and completed the undergraduate requirement for English, I'd like to share a football sonnet I composed. It may make you think of Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

How Do I Beat Thee?
How do I beat thee? Let me count the ways.
I’ll beat thee with the line and the backfield and special teams
My team will field, when running whatever plays Coach deems
For the perfect score and ideal trick play.
I’ll beat thee to the level of the cellar bottom
Most quiet you’ll be, at noon or in stadium light.
I’ll beat thee freely, as our men strive for right.
I’ll praise thee after the game, as the press conference turns to next week.
I’ll beat thee with precise play, put to use as you are called for penalties.
In the old days, and since Coach arrived
I’ll beat thee with plays that once were forgot
With all my lost All Americas. I’ll beat thee with my blocks,
Pick sixes, Hail Marys, all of this season; and If God decide,
I shall but beat thee better in the post regular season.

OldPhiKap
08-29-2015, 05:48 PM
I've also checked to find out if Ellis Marsalis is playing at Snug Harbor on Friday evening..... but not this time.

Since you also attended our great university and completed the undergraduate requirement for English, I'd like to share a football sonnet I composed. It may make you think of Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

How Do I Beat Thee?
How do I beat thee? Let me count the ways.
I’ll beat thee with the line and the backfield and special teams
My team will field, when running whatever plays Coach deems
For the perfect score and ideal trick play.
I’ll beat thee to the level of the cellar bottom
Most quiet you’ll be, at noon or in stadium light.
I’ll beat thee freely, as our men strive for right.
I’ll praise thee after the game, as the press conference turns to next week.
I’ll beat thee with precise play, put to use as you are called for penalties.
In the old days, and since Coach arrived
I’ll beat thee with plays that once were forgot
With all my lost All Americas. I’ll beat thee with my blocks,
Pick sixes, Hail Marys, all of this season; and If God decide,
I shall but beat thee better in the post regular season.

Outstanding!

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-29-2015, 06:12 PM
Outstanding!
I've been developing some prose a well.

The Stadium Address

Seven years ago our BOT brought forth on this campus a renewed program, conceived in a big budget and dedicated to the proposition that our program shall rise again to the heights with a national reputation and ranking. Now we are engaged in a conference battle, testing whether this program or any program so conceived and so dedicated can soon reach excellence. We are met on a new field for that battle. We have dedicated that field to a donor who has paid for the new turf and much, much more so that those who are recruited might play well. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this. But in a larger sense, we cannot dedicate, we cannot consecrate, we cannot hallow this ground. The Iron Dukes of old and many others who played and coached here have consecrated it far above our paltry attempts to add or detract. ESPN will little note nor long remember what we say here, but we cannot forget what our players did here. It is for us the current fans and families rather to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which the Iron Dukes have sought so diligently to bankroll. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task before us - - that from those honored All Americas and All Conference players we remain dedicated to that cause for which we have all sought for years - - that we here resolve that the players and coaches who have gone before shall not have played in vain, that this program shall win by the rules, shall educate to the fullest and continue to seek excellence.

-jk
08-29-2015, 06:48 PM
As my mom said: Skål, y'all!

-jk

OldPhiKap
08-30-2015, 12:38 PM
Looks like we are opening as a 9 point or 9.5 point favorite in sports book world, depending on the site.

Four days, eight and a half hours . . . .

Olympic Fan
08-30-2015, 12:50 PM
The weather forecast continues to improve -- the 5-day weather channel forecast now predicts 76 degrees Thursday night (93 high that afternoon) with just a 20 percent chance of rain,. The official forecast is party cloudy ... light winds, but a 75 percent humidity -- which is sweltering:

http://www.weather.com/weather/5day/l/New+Orleans+LA+USLA0338:1:US

As for the line, it actually opened at 13.5, but fell to the 9.5 range, where it's been fairly steady for the last three weeks.

AustinDevil
08-30-2015, 04:42 PM
Is there a Duke pregame event? If not, is there an unofficial DBR pregame event?

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-30-2015, 04:44 PM
Is there a Duke pregame event? If not, is there an unofficial DBR pregame event?

The Alumni Association is hosting a big tailgate party which will end with second lining to the stadium. The Tulane band will provide the music for the second lining. (They've had lots of experience in this genre.)

Some of us are doing our own partying beforehand.

sagegrouse
08-30-2015, 04:51 PM
The Alumni Association is hosting a big tailgate party which will end with second lining to the stadium. The Tulane band will provide the music for the second lining. (They've had lots of experience in this genre.)

Some of us are doing our own partying beforehand.

Had to look it up:

Second line is a tradition in brass band parades in New Orleans, Louisiana. The "main line" or "first line" is the main section of the parade, or the members of the actual club with the parading permit as well as the brass band. Those who follow the band just to enjoy the music are called the "second line." The second line's style of traditional dance, in which participants walk and sometimes twirl a parasol or handkerchief in the air, is called "second lining." It has been called "the quintessential New Orleans art form – a jazz funeral without a body."[1] Another significant difference from so called "jazz funerals" is second line parades usually lack the slow hymns and dirges played at funerals (although this is not a hard rule; some organizations may have the band play something solemn towards the start of the parade in memory of members deceased since their last parade).

OldPhiKap
08-30-2015, 05:32 PM
Had to look it up:

If you've never done a second line in N.O., I highly suggest it. Fun, music, merriment, carnival, all in one.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-30-2015, 05:42 PM
If you've never done a second line in N.O., I highly suggest it. Fun, music, merriment, carnival, all in one.

I agree. Almost any reason is a good reason to second line. Most Saturdays during the wedding season, there will be numerous second line parades through the Quarter. Listen for the drums and the whistles.

OldPhiKap
08-30-2015, 06:19 PM
I agree. Almost any reason is a good reason to second line. Most Saturdays during the wedding season, there will be numerous second line parades through the Quarter. Listen for the drums and the whistles.

We were lucky to be in New Orleans for the French Quarter Festival a few years ago, much more kid-friendly than Marti Gras. What a gas. Big second line to start things off, then music and great food for days. There is. No city like New Orleans. (I would say that it is one of the most unique cities, but don't want Jim Sumner's head to explode).

And as for the game, I of course recommend Jim's excellent summary on a different thread. The pressed for Cut, DeVon Edwards, and Thomas Sirk are all up on GoDuke.com -- really worth seeing, as usual.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-30-2015, 06:41 PM
We were lucky to be in New Orleans for the French Quarter Festival a few years ago, much more kid-friendly than Marti Gras. What a gas. Big second line to start things off, then music and great food for days. There is. No city like New Orleans. (I would say that it is one of the most unique cities, but don't want Jim Sumner's head to explode).

And as for the game, I of course recommend Jim's excellent summary on a different thread. The pressed for Cut, DeVon Edwards, and Thomas Sirk are all up on GoDuke.com -- really worth seeing, as usual.

So much good preparation has gone into the lead up for this game. No detail overlooked..... frosh who haven't traveled for a road game had a simulation of that when the team went to Washington recently, just one example. I'm expecting the team to perform pretty well for an opening game.... not perfect, but I think they'll be ready. They project the sort of quiet confidence one expects from veterans.

Nico Pierre is fitting in well in his new role. Shaun Wilson may not be the only one who can "juke" around while carrying the ball!

With all the sorting out following injuries for Duke, Tulane may have contend by making a variety of adjustments during the game. Keeping 'em guessing!

Reilly
08-30-2015, 09:19 PM
http://www.goduke.com/fls/4200/web-docs/game-notes/fb/2015/Duke-Tulane-090315.pdf

Kfanarmy
08-31-2015, 04:56 PM
http://www.goduke.com/fls/4200/web-docs/game-notes/fb/2015/Duke-Tulane-090315.pdf

ummm somebody's gonna be here a couple of days late

"Saturday’s game will mark the fifth
meeting between Duke and Tulane
... The Green Wave picked up wins..."

OldPhiKap
09-01-2015, 06:49 AM
Two days away!

Rip 'em up, tear 'em up, give'm Hell DUKE!!!

nocilla
09-01-2015, 07:46 AM
Nice little write-up with some video.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article32879979.html

*I just noticed that this article is also linked on the front page.

Reilly
09-02-2015, 09:24 PM
There's a football game in 24 hours and 6 minutes and this deserves to be on the front page.

Olympic Fan
09-02-2015, 09:55 PM
Cutcliffe said today on the ACC teleconference that Shaq Powell would start at running back, but that Shaun Wilson was full speed and would see action as well, along with Nico Pierre.

He said Ajeigbe was available, but while he has gone through some drills, he has not resumed full contact yet. Cut also said that he would not be afraid to play Harvard transfer Zach Boden if necessary.

Latest weather report (24 hours out) is temperature falling from a daytime high of 88 to a nighttime low of 76, but with an 80 percent humidity in the evening (that's a steambath!). There is a 40 percent chance of scattered thundershowers in the afternoon, dropping to 20 percent in the evening.

23 hours and 39 minutes to kickoff (at precisely 8:32 pm CT)!

devildeac
09-02-2015, 10:28 PM
Cutcliffe said today on the ACC teleconference that Shaq Powell would start at running back, but that Shaun Wilson was full speed and would see action as well, along with Nico Pierre.

He said Ajeigbe was available, but while he has gone through some drills, he has not resumed full contact yet. Cut also said that he would not be afraid to play Harvard transfer Zach Boden if necessary.

Latest weather report (24 hours out) is temperature falling from a daytime high of 88 to a nighttime low of 76, but with an 80 percent humidity in the evening (that's a steambath!). There is a 40 percent chance of scattered thundershowers in the afternoon, dropping to 20 percent in the evening.

23 hours and 39 minutes to kickoff (at precisely 8:32 pm CT)!

If the temperature and relative humidity are both 80, that give a dew point of 74 and that is indeed a very juicy environment. I walk regularly in the evenings and dew points above 70 are rather uncomfortable and I'm wearing dri-lite type singlets and shorts so I can't really imagine how oppressive it would be in full football attire.

http://www.dpcalc.org/

NYBri
09-02-2015, 11:42 PM
My wife is from NOLA and I have to say that this time of year, it's like soup. Gumbo, to be precise.

wolfpackdevil
09-03-2015, 12:37 AM
Arrived in NOLA this afternoon and the weather is great! The humidity is not nearly as bad as I was expecting it to be. If tomorrow night is anything like it is right now, the weather will not be an issue at all. I'll be about 20 rows behind the Duke sideline at midfield!

GO DUKE!

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-03-2015, 12:43 AM
Arrived in NOLA this afternoon and the weather is great! The humidity is not nearly as bad as I was expecting it to be. If tomorrow night is anything like it is right now, the weather will not be an issue at all. I'll be about 20 rows behind the Duke sideline at midfield!

GO DUKE!
This is the coolest night this week. The past two nights were quite sultry. A heavy rain in the early afternoon today (Wednesday) brought the temperature and humidity down to a remarkably comfortable level. We can hope that this pleasant trend continues!

Dev11
09-03-2015, 12:59 AM
Come find me at the alumni association tailgate. I'll be the guy in the Duke shirt.

OldPhiKap
09-03-2015, 06:51 AM
Game DAY!!!!!

devildeac
09-03-2015, 07:21 AM
As an aside, and because no one has mentioned it yet, and for moonpie23 and because I'm on Mt. Hatemore, can I please hear a hearty:

GO 5445 from all the DBR faithful.

Right after our loud: Let's Go Duke!!!!

OldPhiKap
09-03-2015, 07:42 AM
As an aside, and because no one has mentioned it yet, and for moonpie23 and because I'm on Mt. Hatemore, can I please hear a hearty:

Here's hoping that Steve Spurrier lays it on the hells again.

Steve has never lost to UNC, by.the way. 5-0 I think career.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-03-2015, 07:58 AM
Game DAY!!!!!

Whew... long five months between sports I care about.

Let's go Duke!

Indoor66
09-03-2015, 08:31 AM

I would say:

GO sCarolina 5445 from all the DBR faithful.

Win one for the Ole' Ball Coach. :cool:

duke blue brewcrew
09-03-2015, 09:31 AM
Hey everyone. I've mentally committed to an evening in, on the couch with my TV. So my question is, does anyone have any suggestions on something good to watch tonight? I'm open to suggestions if anyone has something worthy of consideration. Thanks in advance!

duke blue brewcrew
09-03-2015, 09:38 AM
Game DAY!!!!!

oh wait, is that today?!

CameronBlue
09-03-2015, 09:42 AM
Hey everyone. I've mentally committed to an evening in, on the couch with my TV. So my question is, does anyone have any suggestions on something good to watch tonight? I'm open to suggestions if anyone has something worthy of consideration. Thanks in advance!

Try the test pattern on your local public access channel. Let us know if you pass.

DevilWearsPrada
09-03-2015, 10:05 AM

GO DUKE!

Have a great time in NOLA !
Let's Go Duke!!
I have watched the pregame Hype video on GoDuke several times!
Game Day! Game Face!!!!

duke blue brewcrew
09-03-2015, 11:03 AM
Have a great time in NOLA !
Let's Go Duke!!
I have watched the pregame Hype video on GoDuke several times!
Game Day! Game Face!!!!

You mean THIS Hype Video?!

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?db_oem_id=4200&id=4356792&catid=65612

Great game day preview by David Harding as well...

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?db_oem_id=4200&id=4356197&catid=65612

duke79
09-03-2015, 02:50 PM
I'm ready for Duke football !! (although it is hot and humid today in the Northeast - not exactly football weather - and not unlike New Orleans. I lived there one summer when I was in law school and I can attest that it is very hot and brutally humid almost every day (and night) there for the entire summer). Luckily, it looks like I'm getting the game on DISH - Channel 158 for those with DISH satellite - on whatever sports package I happen to have. Let's hope for a Duke win and NO serious injuries !!

ricks68
09-03-2015, 02:55 PM
I just checked up on our football conference games via GoDuke.com on any TV or computer channels and came up with nada, zilch, a big fat zero, etc. The Blue Devil IMG Sports network even has us only with audio. Is this true, or am I missing something here?:confused:

ricks

mattman91
09-03-2015, 03:20 PM
I just checked up on our football conference games via GoDuke.com on any TV or computer channels and came up with nada, zilch, a big fat zero, etc. The Blue Devil IMG Sports network even has us only with audio. Is this true, or am I missing something here?:confused:

ricks

I have it on Charter. Come on over!

Oh, and bring beer :cool:

devildeac
09-03-2015, 03:28 PM

There ya go. Again.

Have a great late night and early AM watching this game. LGD!

mattman91
09-03-2015, 03:32 PM
There ya go. Again.

Have a great late night and early AM watching this game. LGD!

Work is gonna suck in the morning, but will be worth it.

I was listening to Bob Marley this morning on the way to work, then remembered this guy (http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/09/11/bob-marley-nico-rohan-football-cofeee-jamaica). Needless to say, I'm on a 24 hour Marley Boycott :o

devildeac
09-03-2015, 03:37 PM
Looks like the forecast from 7 PM tonight to 1 AM tomorrow is around 80 degrees with a dew point of "disgusting." I hope we wear them out on the ground and in the air.

mattman91
09-03-2015, 04:01 PM
Work is gonna suck in the morning, but will be worth it.

I was listening to Bob Marley this morning on the way to work, then remembered this guy (http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/09/11/bob-marley-nico-rohan-football-cofeee-jamaica). Needless to say, I'm on a 24 hour Marley Boycott :o

Three Little Birds just came on the work radio. Fantastic.

English
09-03-2015, 04:06 PM

ricks

I'm not sure what your question means, but the game is airing nationally on CBS Sports Network. If you have that channel in your cable/satellite package, you're golden.

ricks68
09-03-2015, 04:17 PM

I will check with the boss, but she may not want to come that late. I may come alone, however, if she punts on it. I bought a few 6 packs of "root beer" yesterday and still have your Strawberry aged Burial chilling (among others). When are you getting home?

(Just shows how easy it is to get a beer reference no matter what the topic is. I think that if the mods sorted out all the beer references and put them in the beer thread, it would have more posts than the Longest Thread Ever thread!;))

Still looking for a reply on my original question about our other games, however.

ricks

subzero02
09-03-2015, 04:34 PM
We opened as 11 point favorites back in late July with MGM... the money has been going on Tulane. We are now 7 point favorites.

tbyers11
09-03-2015, 04:41 PM
Still looking for a reply on my original question about our other games, however.

ricks

For several years now, the ACC hasn't decided on its game times at the start of the season. Someone can probably post with more detail, but basically about 2 weeks ahead of time they decide which games go in which time slots on which TV channel. Jim Sumner (I think, forgive me if someone else does the work) usually posts the info in a thread here as soon as it is available.

That is why only the TV coverage for the non-con games is listed. This method allows the ACC to get its best matchups in the best time slots but causes much consternation among people with actual tickets as you can't be sure if the October 3 game with BC will be at noon or 3pm or 7pm.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-03-2015, 04:45 PM
Looks like the forecast from 7 PM tonight to 1 AM tomorrow is around 80 degrees with a dew point of "disgusting." I hope we wear them out on the ground and in the air.

I'm on site. It's very humid despite the rain earlier today. People going to the game need to hydrate and I don't mean with alcohol. The humidity may rise to a number that exceeds the number for the temperature.

Duke outsold the original ticket allotment for this game.

BigWayne
09-03-2015, 04:48 PM

ricks

This page at goduke.com shows the non-con games as mentioned above. (http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1843&SPSID=22666)

The Northwestern game being designated as ACC Network means it also won't be known until closer to that date exactly what stations or network will have it.

For the immediate future, The NCCU game is listed as ESPN3, which means it will be on the new ESPN College Extra (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?36382-ESPN3-coming-to-TV) scheme if your provider supports it.

ricks68
09-03-2015, 07:27 PM
This page at goduke.com shows the non-con games as mentioned above. (http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1843&SPSID=22666)

The Northwestern game being designated as ACC Network means it also won't be known until closer to that date exactly what stations or network will have it.

For the immediate future, The NCCU game is listed as ESPN3, which means it will be on the new ESPN College Extra (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?36382-ESPN3-coming-to-TV) scheme if your provider supports it.

Thanks for attempting to answer my question. I went to the GoDuke site, also, and that's the same information I got. In so doing, however, I didn't find any of our conference games being televised or on the net. My question is in reference to all of our conference games, which is why I underlined that in my original post. (You are not the only one that missed that, as English missed it in his response, too. tbyers, I think, may have given the explanation for me in post #93. I still do not understand, however, why the GoDuke site didn't even mention the entities that we could be put on if our games do get televised or streamed. Part of the reason I am asking is because I don't want to sign up for any of the special sports packages thinking that the Duke games will be on them------and they are the wrong ones. So, if anyone can be more specific on which entities are included in our ACC contracts, maybe that would help. Otherwise, thanks again to everyone that has responded so far.

ricks

-jk
09-03-2015, 07:38 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open for Tulane!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines. And remember: it only works in the "Blue" style, selected at the bottom of your mobile browser.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

BigWayne
09-03-2015, 08:19 PM
Thanks for attempting to answer my question. I went to the GoDuke site, also, and that's the same information I got. In so doing, however, I didn't find any of our conference games being televised or on the net. My question is in reference to all of our conference games, which is why I underlined that in my original post. (You are not the only one that missed that, as English missed it in his response, too. tbyers, I think, may have given the explanation for me in post #93. I still do not understand, however, why the GoDuke site didn't even mention the entities that we could be put on if our games do get televised or streamed. Part of the reason I am asking is because I don't want to sign up for any of the special sports packages thinking that the Duke games will be on them------and they are the wrong ones. So, if anyone can be more specific on which entities are included in our ACC contracts, maybe that would help. Otherwise, thanks again to everyone that has responded so far.

ricks
This page covers the way it works and also gives a schedule for the early season mostly non-conference stuff. (http://www.theacc.com/news/ACC-football-schedule-early-weeks-05-15-2015)

For the conference games, ESPN decides which games it wants, and when, about a week in advance usually, but sometimes waits until early in the week of the game. It will be posted and fretted upon here each week. Once ESPN decides on which games go on ESPN/ABC channels, then two games get assigned to the ACC Network and the RSNs. From the link above:

The ACC will again have two syndicated packages produced by the ACC Network this
fall: The ACC Network and the ACC Regional Sports Networks (RSN).

The ACC Network will be syndicated in over 100 markets nationally and more than 90 million TV households with three games in the first three weeks, each with a 12:30 p.m. kickoff: Wofford at Clemson (Sept. 6), Wake Forest at Syracuse (Sept. 12), the first ACC league contest of the year, and Northwestern at Duke (Sept. 19).

In addition, ACC Network games are also available digitally on ESPN3 (outside of the ACC syndication) and on theACC.com and on the ACC App for IPhones, IPads and Android mobile devices.

Once again, the ACC will also feature a weekly football game which will air each week on the Regional Sports Networks (RSN) of Fox Sports South, Fox Sports Carolinas, Fox Sports Florida or Sun Sports, Comcast Sports Net Mid-Atlantic, New England Sports Network (NESN), the YES Network or MSG Network in New York and Root Sports in Pennsylvania, in addition to several other RSNs nationally reaching 71 million homes on average.

DU82
09-03-2015, 08:23 PM
Game time and TV network aren't usually decided until 10 days before, which is why they're not listed on goduke.com

And it's just a bit humid here on the Tulane quad!

DevilWearsPrada
09-03-2015, 08:37 PM
We don't have CBS sports channel ? Is there a live stream of the game this evening? Or a link someone can post? Thank you!

Let's Go Duke!

brevity
09-03-2015, 09:18 PM
We don't have CBS sports channel ? Is there a live stream of the game this evening? Or a link someone can post? Thank you!

Let's Go Duke!

GoDuke subscribers can get the radio broadcast here (http://www.goduke.com/liveEvents/liveEvents.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200).

Tulane has a Gameday page with some kind of game tracker and live stats here (http://www.tulanegreenwave.com/gameday/tul-15-gameday.html).

Tulane lists WMTI 106.1 FM as broadcasting the game. You should be able to listen to it online here (http://tunein.com/radio/WMTI-1061-s30411/).

I'm not aware of an official live streaming option, unless the CBS Sports app provides one. Google "Duke-Tulane live stream" and go through some trial and error. I found one unofficial site that is broadcasting the current CBS Sports Network game (FIU-UCF) on a few seconds' delay.

riverside6
09-03-2015, 09:43 PM
Live stats for Duke/Tulane (with our recent redesign, works great on Mobile devices now)...

http://www.scacchoops.com/duke-at-tulane-football-live-stats-09032015

grossbus
09-03-2015, 10:27 PM
Sirk has looked good throwing the ball.

TD!

jacone21
09-03-2015, 10:32 PM
Shaq!

4Gen
09-03-2015, 11:36 PM
Wilson is unstoppable one on one

subzero02