PDA

View Full Version : Kyrie Injury update - out until January?!?!

JasonEvans
08-27-2015, 08:26 PM
Latest news report is that Kyrie's busted kneecap may keep him out until January (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/report--kyrie-irving-s-broken-knee-cap-could-keep-him-out-until-january-213933607.html).

Multiple league sources say his rehabilitation is going smoothly, but that the chances are slim of him being in the opening-night lineup against the Chicago Bulls on Oct. 27. One source said he could very well be unavailable up until January.

When the three-time All-Star underwent surgery in early June, his recovery time was set at 3-4 months. Assuming he is sidelined outside of that four-month window, the thinking is that it would have everything to do with the Cavaliers being patient and cautious rather than the injury not healing.

This could mean that Lebron has to play more minutes early in the season, something Cleveland certainly does not want. It also potentially opens up more of a spot on the Cleveland roster for Quin Cook, who is a training camp invitee for them.

-Jason "I thought this news merited a new thread, but we should probably combine this with the Quin Cook thread in a few days" Evans

duke blue brewcrew
08-27-2015, 10:13 PM
Latest news report is that Kyrie's busted kneecap may keep him out until January (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/report--kyrie-irving-s-broken-knee-cap-could-keep-him-out-until-january-213933607.html).

This could mean that Lebron has to play more minutes early in the season, something Cleveland certainly does not want. It also potentially opens up more of a spot on the Cleveland roster for Quin Cook, who is a training camp invitee for them.

-Jason "I thought this news merited a new thread, but we should probably combine this with the Quin Cook thread in a few days" Evans

While reading your post and before getting to your always entertaining signature, I was thinking..."I hate this news for Kyrie, but this is great news for Q. Cook"

Edouble
08-28-2015, 01:03 AM

Quinn Cook

theAlaskanBear
08-28-2015, 05:47 AM
Quinn Cook

"Quinn Cooks: Recipes to Make an NBA Team"

Kyrie's Shake 'n Bake chicken tenders
King James Salmon with Ageless Asparagus
Sasha Kaun-noli.
JR Smith's Piping Hot Italian Wedding soup.
Kevin Loves Stretch 4 Bean Chili.

luburch
08-28-2015, 07:11 AM
When I first saw this report yesterday I was a little concerned, but I think it makes sense. No need to rush himback with his injury history and since the Cavs are in the east they can afford to be cautious and not fret over missing the playoffs.

flyingdutchdevil
08-28-2015, 10:25 AM
When I first saw this report yesterday I was a little concerned, but I think it makes sense. No need to rush himback with his injury history and since the Cavs are in the east they can afford to be cautious and not fret over missing the playoffs.

Couldn't agree more. This is a blessing in disguise. Give Kyrie all the rest / recovery he needs (and maybe more) so that the Cavs can once again role through the East (I know ATL was first, but the Cavs were sooooooooo much better) and battle the Spurs/Warriors/Thunder/Clippers in the finals.

Rest well, Kyrie, rest well.

devildeac
08-28-2015, 10:54 AM
Thread title still needs "vigil" in it somewhere;):o.

fuse
08-28-2015, 11:31 AM
I'm trying to think of more modern day athletes who were superstar talent derailed by injuries. Aside from Kyrie, Greg Oden comes to mind.

I feel bad for Kyrie- he sure seems like a generational talent when healthy. It's a shame he is so fragile / injury prone.

kAzE
08-28-2015, 11:42 AM
I know this is stupid, but I feel fully responsible for Kyrie's injuries. It seems like almost every time I catch one of his games, he leaves the floor banged up. I missed all of his games during that crazy stretch he had last year, even the 57 point explosion against San Antonio. And literally the first Cavs game I watched in the playoffs was game 1 of the finals. I turned it on halfway through the 3rd quarter, and then in the 4th . . . it happened.

I also distinctly remember at least 2 other instances in which I turned on a Cavs game in which Kyrie tweaked a knee and just shaking my head in disgust at myself for making it happen again. This doesn't even include the infamous toe injury while he was at Duke, which I was, of course, watching.

Even though he is my favorite basketball player in the world, I may have to keep up with Kyrie via DVR from now on. I don't know how much longer I can handle the guilt :(

luburch
08-28-2015, 12:17 PM
I'm trying to think of more modern day athletes who were superstar talent derailed by injuries. Aside from Kyrie, Greg Oden comes to mind.

I feel bad for Kyrie- he sure seems like a generational talent when healthy. It's a shame he is so fragile / injury prone.

Oden, Brandon Roy, Eric Gordon, Grant Hill, Danny Granger(?) are NBA players who immediately come to mind.

CDu
08-28-2015, 12:22 PM
Oden, Brandon Roy, Eric Gordon, Grant Hill, Danny Granger(?) are NBA players who immediately come to mind.

In a totally different way, Jason Williams. :(

kAzE
08-28-2015, 12:26 PM
In a totally different way, Jason Williams. :(

In almost exactly the same way: Bobby Hurley

I just hope that Kyrie can begin a clean bill of health from this point forward. We've seen how continued injuries have affected the once great careers of guys like Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard, who would still be among the top 5-10 players in the league if not for their unfortunate and long list of health issues.

If Kyrie sustains this frequency of bodily harm, I fear his career may never reach the heights that his talent is capable of taking it to.

Indoor66
08-28-2015, 12:38 PM

You could also throw Christian and Elton into that mix.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-28-2015, 03:57 PM

I would posit that Oden has become synonymous for "injury prone." Kyrie has at least made some noise on the court that gives people more reasons to remember him.

CDu
08-28-2015, 04:29 PM
I would posit that Oden has become synonymous for "injury prone." Kyrie has at least made some noise on the court that gives people more reasons to remember him.

Both guys nailed it on the commercials though.

sagegrouse
08-28-2015, 05:01 PM

Both guys nailed it on the commercials though.

Kyrie is an All-NBA player who was the MVP on the FIBA championship in 2014. That's worth a plaque or two in the rec room.

ChicagoCrazy84
09-01-2015, 02:25 AM
You could also throw Christian and Elton into that mix.

At least Elton had 8-9 good years with the Bulls and Clippers before he got the injury bug. But yes, he was never really the same after his achilles injury

Indigo Wolf
09-02-2015, 01:00 AM
Could be true. I think they are trying to protect him right now and not rush him through the season because the Cavs know that they have Lebron to run the point/playmaking while Kyrie is out. They want him 100% by the time the playoffs come around which if he comes back by Jan leaves him loads of time to get back into playing shape.

No need to rush guys!