PDA

View Full Version : Fields to miss 2015 season

jimsumner
08-26-2015, 02:29 PM
Portions of Duke press release

"Duke junior cornerback Bryon Fields will miss the 2015 season after suffering a torn right anterior cruciate ligament during practice on Tuesday.

"The cruelest element of college football – and for all of college athletics – is injury, and we certainly feel heartbreak at this time for Bryon and his family," Duke head coach David Cutcliffe said. "We know Bryon is in great hands with our medical staff, and I have all the confidence in the world in Bryon’s dedication and perseverance to overcome this obstacle. The challenge for a football team to lose a player with Bryon’s ability and experience is significant, but it’s one we’ll embrace."

Dr. Claude T. Moorman III, Duke’s head team physician and the director of Duke Sports Sciences Institute, will handle the surgical procedure."

nyesq83
08-26-2015, 02:35 PM
Tough loss for the team, terrible injury for you, we wish you an accelerated and full recovery.

CameronBornAndBred
08-26-2015, 02:35 PM
That's a hit to our defense.

A two-time Academic All-ACC selection in 2013 and 2014, Fields started all 13 games a year ago and recorded 70 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, one interception, one fumble recovery and two pass breakups as the Blue Devils went 9-4 and appeared in the Hyundai Sun Bowl.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-s-bryon-fields-ruled-out-for-2015-season-with-torn-acl/14855829/

jimsumner
08-26-2015, 02:52 PM
In a recruiting thread, we are all in accord that Duke has built up quality depth at DB. Guess, we'll find out.

Note that Fields played as a true freshman and hasn't taken a redshirt, injury or otherwise. So, he won't lose a year of eligibility and will be able to play as a fifth-year senior in 2017. So, that's a silver lining.

Olympic Fan
08-26-2015, 03:48 PM
Terrible news for Bryan Fields. I hope he has a full recovery.

But ... I would argue (and have argued in the recruiting thread) that our defensive backfield is the deepest position on the field. In the early scrimmages, sophomore Alonzo Saxon has been starting in Fields' place. Saxton is a stud, recruited by most of the Big Ten, who played 124 snaps (in eight games -- he was hurt late) as a true freshman.

Behind, Saxton, we have Johnathan Lloyd, a redshirt freshman who was a premier recruit who missed last season with an injury. Or Cut could move Zack Muniz, another sophomore who played as a freshman, from the other side. Or he could move safety Devon Edwards to corner (he plays both positions) and start Evret Edwards at safety ... or move Edwards, also a safety/CB to corner.

And that doesn't even count true freshman Jeremy McDuffie, who has been spectacular in early workouts. I know you don't want to count on a true freshman, although our 10-win team in 2013 started two true freshman corners (Fields and Borders). Our nine-win team last year used two true freshmen as second-team corners.

People, we are as DEEP as anybody in the country in the secondary. Yes, Fields is a special player -- an All-ACC quality corner, according to Coach Cut. But so is Breon Borders. Saxton is potentially as good ... and, based on a small sample size, so is McDuffie in the long run.

Yes, a long run of injuries in the secondary would hurt eventually. Losing Cash would be devastating -- he's a special player.

But losing Fields -- while painful on one level -- is not a huge blow to this team. And the good news, as Jim points out, is that he's never taken a redshirt year, so he'll still have two years to play when he returns.

Bob Green
08-26-2015, 03:57 PM
I hate this development for Bryon Fields individually. Get well soon, young man! As for the team, I agree with OF, we are deep in the secondary. The next man will step up. My expectation is either Saxton or Evrett Edwards will move into the starting line-up.

budwom
08-26-2015, 04:14 PM
Terrible news for Bryan Fields. I hope he has a full recovery.

But ... I would argue (and have argued in the recruiting thread) that our defensive backfield is the deepest position on the field. In the early scrimmages, sophomore Alonzo Saxon has been starting in Fields' place. Saxton is a stud, recruited by most of the Big Ten, who played 124 snaps (in eight games -- he was hurt late) as a true freshman.

Behind, Saxton, we have Johnathan Lloyd, a redshirt freshman who was a premier recruit who missed last season with an injury. Or Cut could move Zack Muniz, another sophomore who played as a freshman, from the other side. Or he could move safety Devon Edwards to corner (he plays both positions) and start Evret Edwards at safety ... or move Edwards, also a safety/CB to corner.

And that doesn't even count true freshman Jeremy McDuffie, who has been spectacular in early workouts. I know you don't want to count on a true freshman, although our 10-win team in 2013 started two true freshman corners (Fields and Borders). Our nine-win team last year used two true freshmen as second-team corners.

People, we are as DEEP as anybody in the country in the secondary. Yes, Fields is a special player -- an All-ACC quality corner, according to Coach Cut. But so is Breon Borders. Saxton is potentially as good ... and, based on a small sample size, so is McDuffie in the long run.

Yes, a long run of injuries in the secondary would hurt eventually. Losing Cash would be devastating -- he's a special player.

But losing Fields -- while painful on one level -- is not a huge blow to this team. And the good news, as Jim points out, is that he's never taken a redshirt year, so he'll still have two years to play when he returns.

good summary. Smart kid, hope he comes back for a fifth year eventually.

OldPhiKap
08-26-2015, 05:51 PM
Bummer. Here's hoping for a full and fast recovery for a great part of our program.

devildeac
08-26-2015, 05:54 PM
Our younger son-in-law, a former FB manager, who keeps pretty good contact with current managers and his former "boss," is quite confident that Saxton is next man up and will be a fine replacement.

Heal quickly and completely, young man.

Native
08-26-2015, 06:08 PM
Our younger son-in-law, a former FB manager, who keeps pretty good contact with current managers and his former "boss," is quite confident that Saxton is next man up and will be a fine replacement.

Hearing the same from my sources in Durham.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-26-2015, 06:23 PM
I'm so sorry that this has happened, but see the bright side that Bryon has time left on that ticking clock for eligibility.

There was day when the season ending injury of a starter meant the quality dropped off very sharply. Now there's depth to work with.

Like him or not, this is part of Nick's SOP: there is never too much depth.

duke blue brewcrew
08-26-2015, 06:52 PM
In a recruiting thread, we are all in accord that Duke has built up quality depth at DB. Guess, we'll find out.

Note that Fields played as a true freshman and hasn't taken a redshirt, injury or otherwise. So, he won't lose a year of eligibility and will be able to play as a fifth-year senior in 2017. So, that's a silver lining.

This update hit my phone during a conference call and my heart sank. I am one of the many that feel as if Duke does have a wealth of talent at DB. It doesn't make it any easier to lose a stud lke Bryon Fields. Bryon, you will be missed sir. Best wishes on a speedy recovery. As a fan, I look forward to your return next year! As someone who's a three time veteran of ACL reconstruction process, I'd encourage you to keep your chin up, kick butt in PT and you'll be back to taking names by next year!

Dev11
08-26-2015, 07:18 PM
This update hit my phone during a conference call and my heart sank. I am one of the many that feel as if Duke does have a wealth of talent at DB. It doesn't make it any easier to lose a stud lke Bryon Fields. Bryon, you will be missed sir. Best wishes on a speedy recovery. As a fan, I look forward to your return next year! As someone who's a three time veteran of ACL reconstruction process, I'd encourage you to keep your chin up, kick butt in PT and you'll be back to taking names by next year!

Lucky for him, he's got some of the best ACL care in the country.

-Satisfied Duke Hospital ACL patient

Dev11
08-26-2015, 07:32 PM

I know your source and am reluctant to trust him, generally speaking.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-26-2015, 07:38 PM
Lucky for him, he's got some of the best ACL care in the country.

-Satisfied Duke Hospital ACL patient

So true! Dr. Moorman is one of the stars nationally when it comes to procedures like the one Bryon will need to repair this sort of injury.

devildeac
08-26-2015, 10:24 PM
I know your source and am reluctant to trust him, generally speaking.

5431, I think/hope.

At this point, being married to my daughter for over 4 years, and a Duke Div grad and currently in a PhD Div program, I probably have a bit more trust than that. ;)

Skitzle
08-27-2015, 03:32 PM
Not going to lie, don't follow College Football too much, so a question for those who know.

From what I read about Duke Football on the boards (its the only way I follow Duke Football) I feel like Duke has had a lot of injuries to key players for the past 2-3 years.

Is this a normal amount of injury for a top football squad, or has duke been a bit unlucky in this respect? I feel like all this success we've had has been in spite of the fact that we weren't at full health.

jimsumner
08-27-2015, 03:45 PM
Not going to lie, don't follow College Football too much, so a question for those who know.

From what I read about Duke Football on the boards (its the only way I follow Duke Football) I feel like Duke has had a lot of injuries to key players for the past 2-3 years.

Is this a normal amount of injury for a top football squad, or has duke been a bit unlucky in this respect? I feel like all this success we've had has been in spite of the fact that we weren't at full health.

I'm not aware of any data base that authoritatively answers this question. It does seem like Duke has been snake-bit lately. Last fall Duke lost Braxton Deaver and Kelby Brown for the season well before the first game and we all went into full sky-is-falling-mode. Then Duke was relatively healthy for the regular season. Maybe we'll have a repeat this season.

Maybe human bodies aren't designed for football. In the last 24 hours Ohio State lost a top wide receiver for the season and East Carolina lost its starting quarterback. Arkansas lost an 1,100 yard rusher earlier this fall. Notre Dame lost its best defensive lineman. And so forth. A few years ago Maryland was forced to move a linebacker to quarterback after a cascade of injuries.

That's why Cut prioritized building depth when he took over at Duke and I do think Duke is better able to deal with these kinds of injuries than even a few years ago.

There's a reason why "next man up" is a mantra of every football program from middle school to NFL.

Skitzle
08-27-2015, 06:01 PM
I'm not aware of any data base that authoritatively answers this question. It does seem like Duke has been snake-bit lately. Last fall Duke lost Braxton Deaver and Kelby Brown for the season well before the first game and we all went into full sky-is-falling-mode. Then Duke was relatively healthy for the regular season. Maybe we'll have a repeat this season.

Maybe human bodies aren't designed for football. In the last 24 hours Ohio State lost a top wide receiver for the season and East Carolina lost its starting quarterback. Arkansas lost an 1,100 yard rusher earlier this fall. Notre Dame lost its best defensive lineman. And so forth. A few years ago Maryland was forced to move a linebacker to quarterback after a cascade of injuries.

That's why Cut prioritized building depth when he took over at Duke and I do think Duke is better able to deal with these kinds of injuries than even a few years ago.

There's a reason why "next man up" is a mantra of every football program from middle school to NFL.

By your response I understand that it seems to be not so much Duke is "snake-bit" as it is "people in football get hurt." Most schools deal with injuries to top guys over the course of a season. Guys missing the entire season is not rare. Brutal Sport...

Sixthman
08-28-2015, 09:05 AM
I noticed a report that Shuan Wilson is back in full practice mode. It's nice to hear some good news.

75Crazie
08-28-2015, 09:24 AM
By your response I understand that it seems to be not so much Duke is "snake-bit" as it is "people in football get hurt." Most schools deal with injuries to top guys over the course of a season. Guys missing the entire season is not rare. Brutal Sport...
"Stupid sport", if you sit back and take a dispassionate look at it. I have lost a lot of love for this sport over the years. I can't help but feel it has attained a Rollerball type of popularity. That has not kept me from enjoying Duke's brief Renaissance in the sport, and I am aware that is hypocritical of me, but I still hope that we as a society will come to our senses at some point and demand significant rule changes that would reduce the level of carnage.

Richard Berg
08-28-2015, 11:15 AM
At this point, being married to my daughter for over 4 years, and a Duke Div grad and currently in a PhD Div program, I probably have a bit more trust than that. ;)
Is that legal?

Olympic Fan
08-28-2015, 12:50 PM

Like Jim Sumner, I'm not aware of any hard statistics, but as a college football fan, I would suggest that Duke's recent injury history is pretty normal. It does vary from year to year, but that's normal too,

I was looking back at last season in just the ACC and I noticed that Louisville lost two QBs to injury and got just six games from All-American WR Davante Parker, Va Tech lost an All-ACC quality defensive back and a potential All-American DT, Boston College lost one of its best offensive linemen, Pitt was missing its starting center, Syracuse lost QB Terrell Hunt early in the year and Clemson's brilliant freshman QB was limited to eight games due to injuries.

We had tough luck last year with Kelby Brown, Deaver and the suspension of Jela Duncan, but did okay otherwise. We had pretty good luck with injuries in 2013, except for losing QB Anthony Boone for two and a half games with a broken collarbone. The year before -- 2012 -- we had terrible luck, losing Kelby, Deaver and a ton of guys in the defensive backfield.

Part of our problem in recent years has been the fragility of Kelby Brown -- a great player, but only truly healthy one season -- and to a lessor extend Deaver (who missed two seasons with injury).

As mentioned, depth is the only insurance against the injury bug. Ohio State showed that last season, winning the national title despite losing its first two QBs to injury.

Cut has developed good depth, but there are differences in injuries. We have some nice young players at linebacker, but nobody can replace Kelby -- he was a special player. On the other hand, while Fields is an excellent CB, we have several players who are in his talent range, maybe just a bit lacking experience. We started the year with four quality running backs -- three were hurt (although two are back and the third looks like he'll be back by midseason). I think we are solid there, although there are likely to be guys injured, or less effective because they are banged up.

We have great depth in the defensive backfield, at TE, at RB and on the offensive line. I won't say we have great depth at WR -- but I think we have a lot of equally talented, equally unproven guys there. That said, there are players it would kill us to lose -- Jeremy Cash at safety, Matt Skura at center .. maybe Thomas Sirk at QB ... maybe Carlos Ray at DT.

airowe
08-28-2015, 01:36 PM
Not sure of the thoroughness of this list, but here's a compilation of college football injuries (http://www.donbest.com/ncaaf/injuries/) from around the country.

jimsumner
08-28-2015, 02:08 PM
It should be noted that an awful lot of ACL injuries are of the non-contact variety. A player makes a cut and his/her knee doesn't go with them, at least not in the way intended. These injuries happen in soccer, field hockey, lacrosse, basketball and other sports. ACL injuries are pretty common in girl's/women's basketball.

So, maybe the lesson is that the human body isn't meant to make a sharp 90-degree turn while running at full speed.

Concussions? Now, that's a different discussion. A pair of 250-pound human beings running into each at full speed with violent intent will have negative consequences with some regularity.