PDA

View Full Version : Maryland To Become The Oregon Of The East

CharlestonDave
08-26-2015, 05:50 AM
Under Armor is poised to transform The University Of Maryland into becoming the Oregon Of the East with a huge infusion of Capital spurred by Kevin Plank , the CEO of Under Armor and a Maryland Grad and former captain of the special teams in football.

There will be a transformation of the Cole Field House into a home of medical facilities, classrooms, , an athletic conditioning center, locker room, and three football fields, 2 outdoor and one indoor.

Maryland is trying to emulate the University of Oregon, as Oregon is being called ," The University of Nike", and Maryland is positioning itself to being , " The University of Under Armor".

Dukehky
08-26-2015, 07:54 AM
Except Maryland isn't good at stuff

johnb
08-26-2015, 07:57 AM
Under Armor is poised to transform The University Of Maryland into becoming the Oregon Of the East with a huge infusion of Capital spurred by Kevin Plank , the CEO of Under Armor and a Maryland Grad and former captain of the special teams in football.

There will be a transformation of the Cole Field House into a home of medical facilities, classrooms, , an athletic conditioning center, locker room, and three football fields, 2 outdoor and one indoor.

Maryland is trying to emulate the University of Oregon, as Oregon is being called ," The University of Nike", and Maryland is positioning itself to being , " The University of Under Armor".

It seems like the University of Nike sounds better than the University of Under Arms,
but maybe I'm missing something.

brevity
08-26-2015, 08:34 AM

Without the link, this reads like an advertisement. Standards are higher for people who start threads, which is why I don't.

Presumably, the source is this article from the New York Times (http://nytimes.com/2015/08/26/sports/ncaafootball/under-armour-seeks-to-do-for-maryland-what-nike-did-for-oregon.html?_r=0&referrer=), also reprinted by the Bend Bulletin (http://www.bendbulletin.com/sports/3450563-151/under-armour-seeks-to-do-for-maryland-what#).

nyesq83
08-26-2015, 02:41 PM
THE University of Under Arm or

...to shorten it,

P.U.?

luburch
08-26-2015, 02:46 PM
THE University of Under Arm or

...to shorten it,

P.U.?

Unfortunately, P.U. is alread taken by Purdue University. Which happens to be (for several reasons) the armpit of the Big Ten.

Duke95
08-26-2015, 04:23 PM
Maryland is the new Armpit U.

Billy Dat
08-26-2015, 04:49 PM
UA's head of grassroots basketball, it's Sonny Vaccaro, is Duke '94 grad Nick Blatchford
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25261949/the-nike-under-armour-battle-for-high-school-stars-is-heating-up

Kdogg
08-26-2015, 07:13 PM
I think this has been in the planning stages for years. The Under Armor CEO (and his wallet and his promises) were a big factor in UM going to the Big Ten. He was one of the few high profile alums pushing for the deal. I never really understood why but put it down to self serving reasons.

TerpsInACC
08-28-2015, 04:55 PM
I wish Under Armour was supporting my Maryland Terrapins seven years ago when Debbie Yow spent crazy and made us bankrupt. If that happened, my Terps would still be in the ACC as I miss playing Duke, UNC (well this year), UVA and others.

Indoor66
08-28-2015, 05:21 PM
I wish Under Armour was supporting my Maryland Terrapins seven years ago when Debbie Yow spent crazy and made us bankrupt. If that happened, my Terps would still be in the ACC as I miss playing Duke, UNC (well this year), UVA and others.

Terp, I respect you and your thoughtful posts. I appreciate your yearning for what was and might still be. But that said, I am glad the Terrapins and their general fans attitude and behavior are gone.

You, on the other hand, are quite welcome.

Jeffrey
08-28-2015, 06:11 PM

Seems like a better use for it than a basketball and concert arena. I never enjoyed the building for either purpose (very poor acoustics).

-bdbd
08-29-2015, 03:17 AM
The Ducks don't riot after b-ball games.

sagegrouse
08-29-2015, 08:48 AM
The Ducks don't riot after b-ball games.

Here's a story (http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/09/weird_beavers_win_duck_student.html) where Oregon students rioted during football season -- on an open date! The Oregon State Beavers had upset #1 ranked USC that night. Although a few years ago, Oregon may have potential, although the story didn't mention burning sofas.

TerpsInACC
08-30-2015, 12:54 AM
Just remember, not all Terps fans are bad despite our administration putting us in deep financial problems and some of our students act like jerks at the games. I am hoping one day soon, Notre Dame goes to the Big Ten as it makes the most sense and the Terps with Under Armour money come to their senses and beg a second chance in the ACC.

Edouble
08-30-2015, 01:17 AM
Just remember, not all Terps fans are bad despite our administration putting us in deep financial problems and some of our students act like jerks at the games. I am hoping one day soon, Notre Dame goes to the Big Ten as it makes the most sense and the Terps with Under Armour money come to their senses and beg a second chance in the ACC.

It's never about what makes the most sense, but about what makes the most (dollars and) cents.

If it were about what makes the most sense...

Florida State would be in the SEC and the ACC would still have the beautiful, 16 game, home and away basketball schedule
There would still be a Big East
Texas A&M and Nebraska would be in the Big 12
etc. etc.

That ship sailed many moons ago.

mgtr
08-30-2015, 08:27 AM
Maryland as Oregon. Well, it sort of makes sense, since Animal House was shot in Oregon -- I don't remember if it was U of Ore or Oregon State. The parade at the end of the movie must be wonderful inspiration for Terp fans.