PDA

View Full Version : Future Duke FB Opponent in Turmoil

AustinDevil
08-23-2015, 10:15 AM
Is anyone outside of Texas following the debacle at Baylor? The AP Preseason #7 Bears, instead of prepping for their season opener, are instead mired in a horrible story about last week's rape conviction of a Boise transfer, and what Baylor coaches knew about the player's history, and when they knew it. It has Baylor Coach Art Briles flat-out saying Boise Coach Scott Petersen gave Briles zero indication that the player had been involved in a sexual assault allegation at Boise, and Petersen saying he told Briles the full story.

Given Baylor's history with covering up a murder in the basketball program back in Dave Bliss' days, I do not believe they can afford to keep Briles if this gets any worse. It will be very interesting to watch. Defensive coordinator Phil Bennett, one of the best D coordinators in the country, is also getting blasted for telling an alumni group in June that he fully expected to see the transfer play this fall--he had to have known about the pending charges and trial.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/columnists/kevin-sherrington/20150821-sherrington-if-baylor-s-art-briles-is-lying-about-sam-ukwuachu-he-needs-to-go.ece

bob blue devil
08-23-2015, 11:14 AM
Given Baylor's history with covering up a murder in the basketball program back in Dave Bliss' days, I do not believe they can afford to keep Briles if this gets any worse.

this poses an interesting cost benefit analysis - how much money does briles contribute to the school via football success vs. the cost of not holding high profile individuals at the university to high ethical standards. maybe they should reach out to unc to learn about how they made their assessment.

AustinDevil
08-23-2015, 11:20 AM
this poses an interesting cost benefit analysis - how much money does briles contribute to the school via football success vs. the cost of not holding high profile individuals at the university to high ethical standards. maybe they should reach out to unc to learn about how they made their assessment.

Briles certainly contributes enough, and has enough of a positive reputation, to survive this unless something comes out showing that he specifically knew this. Petersen's comments are not verifiable, and the transfer form from Boise said the player was not subject to disciplinary action and was eligible to begin the next semester at Boise if he had wanted.

I should have mentioned, the other huge issue for Baylor (less so for Briles) is the extreme shoddiness of their internal investigation. *That* is clearly a topic they share with UNC.

http://deadspin.com/baylor-s-investigation-of-sam-ukwuachu-was-shameful-1725434717

BD80
08-24-2015, 02:58 PM
... I should have mentioned, the other huge issue for Baylor (less so for Briles) is the extreme shoddiness of their internal investigation. *That* is clearly a topic they share with UNC.

http://deadspin.com/baylor-s-investigation-of-sam-ukwuachu-was-shameful-1725434717

Funny, there are a LOT of tar heels that believe the unc internal "investigation" was FAR too thorough.