PDA

View Full Version : DBR Summer Stories

Skitzle
08-23-2015, 01:29 AM
The ultimate summer thread.

Got to the airport early and they bumped me up to a flight leaving two hours earlier than my original flight time. Very nice.

The DBR kicker? My auto assigned seat changed from middle seat 10B to window seat 9F. :)

Have any interesting direct or indirect but Duke or DBR related summer stories? Do share :)

sagegrouse
08-23-2015, 08:39 AM
Today is the second day of my club golf championship. Received this e-mail from Luke Brosterhaus, our head pro:

Special Day 2 Side Game for Tomorrow!
-Wear your alma mater or favorite collegiate team’s colors tomorrow, and take part in a Low Net Game for the Entire Field! The Lowest Net Round Tomorrow (Highest Net Point Total across all Divisions, Gross & Net) will win some New Fall Gear of their Favorite Team! Let us know who your Team is in the Morning. . .we look forward to seeing your Colors!

I am now wearing the appropriate shade-of-blue polo with an x-large tee that says "Duke Basketball" and a Duke hat from the way-back 2001 Final Four.

The kicker -- Luke Brosterhaus is from Medford, Oregon and is Kyle Singler's first cousin.

How am I doing? Not bad. I am fourth in the handicap division -- we are using the USGA Stapleford System for scoring.

-- Sage
'By the way, we may experience a "frost delay" on the 23rd of August!'

devildeac
08-23-2015, 09:11 AM
Today is the second day of my club golf championship. Received this e-mail from Luke Brosterhaus, our head pro:

I am now wearing the appropriate shade-of-blue polo with an x-large tee that says "Duke Basketball" and a Duke hat from the way-back 2001 Final Four.

The kicker -- Luke Brosterhaus is from Medford, Oregon and is Kyle Singler's first cousin.

How am I doing? Not bad. I am fourth in the handicap division -- we are using the USGA Stapleford System for scoring.

-- Sage
'By the way, we may experience a "frost delay" on the 23rd of August!'

Hopefully you have a very accurate 9(F) iron in your bag o' clubs. ;)

Indoor66
08-23-2015, 12:55 PM
Hopefully you have a very accurate 9(F) iron in your bag o' clubs. ;)

Something with an "F" probably comes out! :p:confused::cool:

devildeac
08-23-2015, 01:01 PM
Something with an "F" probably comes out! :p:confused:

Fore!

:rolleyes:;)

Edouble
08-23-2015, 02:05 PM
Don't know if this counts, but I photographed former Clemson (current Wyoming) coach Larry Shyatt's son's wedding.

http://www.erikmeadows.com/2015/07/beechmont-farms-kentucky-wedding/

I had a chance to talk a little hoops with him... we discussed the '99 Duke/Clemson game in Cameron where he coached and I stood in the front row, center, yelling my head off. It was my senior year at Duke, and my last game as a Crazie. We did not discuss the Trajan incident, but Coach Shyatt was wildly complimentary of the Brand/Battier frontcourt.

We (my high school team) had actually played Clemson forward Tom Wideman in high school (Atlanta). Tom had absolutely destroyed us. Of course, Brand went on to destroy him in Cameron.

MChambers
08-23-2015, 10:48 PM
I'm traveling with my family in Oregon. My wonderful wife set the itinerary, including the lodging. I was sorry to see that we skipped Medford, but we ended up spending the night in nearby Grants Pass. Of course, I'm wondering where Christian's Shot is.

Jim3k
08-23-2015, 10:53 PM
I'm traveling with my family in Oregon. My wonderful wife set the itinerary, including the lodging. I was sorry to see that we skipped Medford, but we ended up spending the night in nearby Grants Pass. Of course, I'm wondering where Christian's Shot is.

You need to get to Ashland and take in a play. Pretty much the best theater company in the country.

GGLC
08-23-2015, 11:21 PM
You need to get to Ashland and take in a play. Pretty much the best theater company in the country.

100 percent agreed! I lived in Ashland for several years; great town.

ice-9
08-24-2015, 03:46 AM
Not the best summer so far:

- Office lease ended last month and our new location isn't ready, so everyone's working at home until then

- Apartment upstairs just started a massive renovation, so the drilling and hammering is non-stop and LOUD

- My laptop broke, so I'm tethered to my desktop to do any work

- The aircon also broke, so now I have to work with the drilling in my head in 30 degree humid weather

- I've got the most boring, soul deadening project to finish, and I'm procrastinating like crazy

Good times.

Skitzle
08-24-2015, 03:49 AM
Not the best summer so far:

- Office lease ended last month and our new location isn't ready, so everyone's working at home until then

- Apartment upstairs just started a massive renovation, so the drilling and hammering is non-stop and LOUD

- My laptop broke, so I'm tethered to my desktop to do any work

- The aircon also broke, so now I have to work with the drilling in my head in 30 degree humid weather

- I've got the most boring, soul deadening project to finish, and I'm procrastinating like crazy

Good times.

The DBR kicker? You spend your procrastination time thinking about Duke Basketball?

CameronBornAndBred
08-24-2015, 10:17 AM
During our BBQ comp in Cary, someone walked past our tent (all decked out in our tailgate Duke show) and yelled "DBR!". They didn't introduce themselves, though..lol.
After our turn ins, one of the judges introduced himself as the occupant of one of the tents on Devil's Alley and he recognized our setup. Love their tent name, "In Full Compliance", I believe. GTHC!

ice-9
08-24-2015, 11:07 AM
The DBR kicker? You spend your procrastination time thinking about Duke Basketball?

Haha yes, exactly. Rewatched the Wisconsin game...chapter 3 of the Uncle Drew series which I somehow missed...and of course, DBR.

superdave
08-24-2015, 11:12 AM
Haha yes, exactly. Rewatched the Wisconsin game...chapter 3 of the Uncle Drew series which I somehow missed...and of course, DBR.

I re-watched the Robert Morris game yesterday. I am trying to make it through each of the tourney games in order to clean out my DVR. I will save the Wisconsin game for a very long time though.

In related news, I have my first baby due this week. Sadly, I have not been able to negotiate any overtly Duke names into the mix. He will be a Duke fan from day one though.

Skitzle
08-24-2015, 11:20 AM
I re-watched the Robert Morris game yesterday. I am trying to make it through each of the tourney games in order to clean out my DVR. I will save the Wisconsin game for a very long time though.

In related news, I have my first baby due this week. Sadly, I have not been able to negotiate any overtly Duke names into the mix. He will be a Duke fan from day one though.

CONGRATS!! The best I was able to negotiate was the right shade of blue in our little ones bedroom... :)

superdave
08-24-2015, 11:30 AM
CONGRATS!! The best I was able to negotiate was the right shade of blue in our little ones bedroom... :)

The mother-in-law sent a baby blue outfit to wear home from the hospital. I vetoed that and we settled on navy and white.

I still to find a nice 2015 championship pennant or banner to go up in the nursery.

MarkD83
08-24-2015, 12:51 PM

We are getting the outside of our house painted and my neighbors and the painters have suggested to my wife that the front door should be Duke blue. Let's hope she listens to them.