PDA

View Full Version : Wade restrooms

Raleighfan
09-25-2007, 05:02 PM
What will it take for something to be done about the disgraceful RRs at Wallace Wade? At this point, latrines would almost be an improvement since they wouldn't involve plumbing fixtures....just basically holes in the ground. Forget about grandiose plans for expanded concessions along the concourse, better seats, bigger scoreboard, etc......yes, those would be nice but PLEASE give us some decent RR facilities so we can take care of basic needs expeditiously and get ourselves back out in the stands. As someone who has regularly attended Duke home football games for 25+ years, I see the foot-dragging on this issue to be a real slap in the face to The Faithful at WW. Duke's administration and athletic dept. should be ashamed of this situation. Although I have not visited all the other ACC home stadiums, I can't imagine that any of them have sorrier RRs than at Wallace Wade. Correct me if I'm wrong. Anybody have any word on any plans for improvements?

PS....just for the record, I've never seen anybody taking time to primp in the ladies' RRs; people do what they need to do and get out ASAP

pratt '04
09-25-2007, 05:32 PM
goduke.com article about potential stadium upgrades (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1178931&SPID=1843&SPSID=22672)

Raleighfan
09-25-2007, 08:44 PM
Thanks....I was already aware of the linked article. And from what I read there, even if the restrooms are the first thing on the agenda for upgrades, nothing is going to happen any time soon. Again, I don't care one way or another about having a fancy concourse, new speakers, etc.....as far as I'm concerned the RRs don't even have to be state-of-the-art but it would be swell to have enough of them in working order so as to accommodate the fans at the game. Here's a thought: what if the stands were actually filled for home games.....bet you'd see a whole lot more people using the bushes and wooded areas. Ya think?

Bluedawg
09-25-2007, 11:45 PM
Thanks....I was already aware of the linked article. And from what I read there, even if the restrooms are the first thing on the agenda for upgrades, nothing is going to happen any time soon.

My understanding is that the basketball center is scheduled to be completed Jan/Feb of 08 then they will move to WW.

gep
09-26-2007, 12:12 AM
Here's a thought: what if the stands were actually filled for home games.....bet you'd see a whole lot more people using the bushes and wooded areas. Ya think?

I also had a thought... what if WW was a real first class venue... now. Would attendance increase simply for the first class experience? Put another way, are fans on the "fence" reluctant to go "because" of the conditions of WW... specifically the RR's?

Bluedawg
09-26-2007, 08:33 AM
I also had a thought... what if WW was a real first class venue... now. Would attendance increase simply for the first class experience? Put another way, are fans on the "fence" reluctant to go "because" of the conditions of WW... specifically the RR's?

First Class facilities, attract top tier players, who attract more fans.

weezie
09-26-2007, 09:55 AM
Wow, Raleighfan, 25 YEARS of Duke football attendance?!

You must have a cast-iron stomach.

Raleighfan
09-26-2007, 01:34 PM
Wow, Raleighfan, 25 YEARS of Duke football attendance?!

You must have a cast-iron stomach.

And to think that I'm not even a Duke grad! I graduated from another Triangle university, but when I married my Duke guy, I decided I was going to be a Duke fan and that was it. No divided household here. My alma mater has no trouble filling the stands for football (even tho things aren't going all that great now); I figured my presence was needed more at WW. Of course, it's been a lot easier to be a Duke fan during basketball season but I keep thinking/hoping that one of these days Duke football will turn the corner and I'll be there to see it....maybe I'm crazy?

I don't wish to be thought of as potty-minded, but since we loyal fans aren't being rewarded with witnessing lots of wins, it does seem like the powers that be would value us enough to provide us with better RR facilities, maybe as an incentive to keep showing up for games....again, maybe I'm crazy.

gep
09-26-2007, 02:12 PM
First Class facilities, attract top tier players, who attract more fans.

I totally agree. However, I was wondering if a different order would also work... that is... first class facilities, attract more fans (whether Duke wins or loses), which then attract top tier players... In other words, as everyone has said, WW must be upgraded in any case.

dukeman28428
09-27-2007, 08:28 AM
Improved facilities at Wallace Wade will definitely help attendance and recruiting for Duke football. The university uses this stadium for graduation and other activites and can you imagine one of the parents or graduates having to use the restrooms on THEIR DAY. The university should start and pay for this immediately as they are really disgraceful and a failing grade for Duke. Step up to the plate and get this done please. I take my grandchildren in these places for football games and it is shame to have to do this.

GopherBlue
09-28-2007, 02:15 PM
I've only been attending Duke FB games for a few years, but in that time I've found the WW RR facilities to be a unique and under-appreciated source of entertainment.

On more than one occasion I've tipped off a overhydrated fan that the basin they are peeing in is actually intended for washing hands :D . And last year I had to explain to my wife why, upon returning from the RR following a hurried visit, my shoes were dripping wet. A pipe had burst in the restroom, and there was a 4inch deep whitewater course rushing out the door - not to be denied, I forged ahead... :eek:

killerleft
09-28-2007, 02:58 PM
Yeah, it's great to stand at a trough and have water splatter all over your legs, and not know if that's water or if the guy next to you caught a good deflection.

The other improvements I can take or leave, but the bathrooms are just pitiful.

So, unless we're waiting to put them on the National Register of Historic Places, those antiques need to go!

Indoor66
09-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Yeah, it's great to stand at a trough and have water splatter all over your legs, and not know if that's water or if the guy next to you caught a good deflection.

The other improvements I can take or leave, but the bathrooms are just pitiful.

So, unless we're waiting to put them on the National Register of Historic Places, those antiques need to go!

There is an element of nostalgia for those of us who can remember outhouses in certain locations.... :)

killerleft
09-30-2007, 04:39 PM
You know, there's no doubt the concept behind those troughs is a thoughtful one. The lines (I remember when there have been lines) move along pretty good, and the use of available space is certainly efficient.

Now, whoever can design a "splashless" trough that doesn't include the chance that patrons could fall into the "solution" would probably be considered a genius

So my idea is.... I'm no genius.