PDA

View Full Version : Nolan Smith and Dahntay Jones Drafted

awhom111
08-20-2015, 09:56 PM
By Raptors 905 in the D League expansion draft:
http://dleague.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2015/08/1-raptors-table.jpg

This does not mean that they are playing there next season, but the team holds their rights for 2 years (and can trade them) and will get them if they opt for the D League. Each existing team protected 12 players that they had returning players rights for and could not have more than 2 players picked, with 16 total selections. No D League team needs 16 players, so a bunch of players who are already signed overseas for this season were picked just in case they ever come back or so their rights could be trade bait at some point.

Dahntay must have really missed playing last season as he joined the D League in the middle of the season and managed to parlay it into an NBA roster spot for the end of the season. I wonder if he would consider it again if he has no D League deal.

Nolan returned after an overseas stint, but had his season ended by injury. Hopefully he is fully healthy and can either play in Mississauga or catch on overseas again.

I have to wonder if players will consider if they want to play in the D League in Canada or not even though all of their road games will be in the United States.

awhom111
10-30-2015, 09:37 PM
Chris Reichert (one of several people who cover the D League heavily) reported that Maine traded for Nolan's rights as part of a deal involving picks in tomorrow's draft. Nolan and 11 go to Maine and 19 and 21 go north of the border.

It was later covered here:
http://dleague.nba.com/news/2015-nba-d-league-draft-trade-roundup/

Nolan will probably need to show what he can do at the D League level after he gets healthy to move on to a bigger gig, so Maine may very well be his next destination.

It is not clear what Dahntay's plans are after getting cut by the Nets

jimsumner
10-30-2015, 10:39 PM
Quinn was at the game tonight but he was surrounded, I was in a hurry to get to the locker room and other than a quick hello, I didn't get a chance to catch up.

And then he was gone. Quick as a cat. As usual.

Newton_14
10-30-2015, 11:56 PM
Quinn was at the game tonight but he was surrounded, I was in a hurry to get to the locker room and other than a quick hello, I didn't get a chance to catch up.

And then he was gone. Quick as a cat. As usual. I get to speak to him briefly, and he graciously agreed to speak to my 10 year old daughter who I had called on Face Time video called. Full disclosure, I am one of those people, who really hate going up to these guys and asking for anything. It just feel wrong. He was hounded for selfie requests, and pictures with the person requests. They just kept coming and coming. Finally he made it to the stairs to head down to the floor level, and I asked him if he would mind just saying hello to her on the phone. He stopped and did it, without complaining or having a look of "Gee I really don't want to do this". He was very polite and never hesitated to looking into her eyes on the call and saying "Hello Morgan". It may her day. She was actually crying.

Nothing but huge respect for Quinn for a lot of reasons. I did not have the heart to ask him for a pic or autograph for her and certainly was not going to ask for either item for me.

Glad I got to see him.

moonpie23
10-31-2015, 12:30 PM
when i'm by myself, i simply call out their name with a "nolan smith in da house" and every player i've ever spoken to like that has stopped and given a high five or fist pump........when my son, sam, is with me (almost always in the wheelchair for sporting events) those guys stop HIM and get pictures..... Shane took him back in the locker room and went around with him to collect autographs...

nothing EVER less than classy from any duke athlete (or celeb)......

awhom111
10-31-2015, 12:59 PM

And then he was gone. Quick as a cat. As usual.

On the broadcast, Nolan said that Quinn would be practicing with the Cavaliers until the Charge training camp started.