PDA

View Full Version : Final first round poll- Greatest Sports Movie (multiple choice)

JasonEvans
09-25-2007, 04:50 PM
If you have not voted in any of these polls yet, please consult the sticky thread at the top of the page.

JasonEvans
09-25-2007, 04:57 PM
The Hustler, League of Their Own, and Enter the Dragon were easy choices for me. I want to vote for a 4th though.

I am torn between Tin Cup and Rocky III. I am tempted to go for Rocky III if only because it launched Hulk Hogan to fame and that was responsible for the huge boom in wrestling in the 80s... a fairly significant cultural event (and perhaps a sporting event too). It certainly has more lasting impact than Tin Cup. Rocky III also gave us Mr. T. I am not sure if I can forgive that.

--Jason "what a choice!!" Evans

wilson
09-25-2007, 05:27 PM
Rocky III also gave us Mr. T. I am not sure if I can forgive that.

--Jason "what a choice!!" Evans

My brother and I, circa 1988, probably would have killed you barehanded for uttering such blasphemy. Long live Mr. T.

micah75
09-26-2007, 09:07 AM
I am torn between Tin Cup and Rocky III. I am tempted to go for Rocky III if only because it launched Hulk Hogan to fame and that was responsible for the huge boom in wrestling in the 80s... a fairly significant cultural event (and perhaps a sporting event too).

It also spawned the hit song "Eye of the Tiger." It was the kind of movie that was fun to see with a few buddies just out having a good time.

Anyway, just bumping this poll back up, as it seems to have been stuck on 18 or 19 since last night.

JasonEvans
09-26-2007, 11:14 AM
If anyone cares, I decided upon Rocky III for my 4th vote.

It is worth noting that both Tin Cup and Friday Night Lights are leading Rocky III though right now.

Folks are aware that they are voitng for the FNL movie, not TV show, right?

--Jason "must be a lot of Tim McGraw fans out there" Evans

hc5duke
09-26-2007, 01:22 PM
While I voted for it, I'm not sure how Enter the Dragon is a sports movie... :confused:

Also, so few votes for Rocky Balboa? Did people actually watch the movie and not like it, or skipped it thinking it would be Rocky V+1?

TillyGalore
09-26-2007, 01:28 PM
While I voted for it, I'm not sure how Enter the Dragon is a sports movie... :confused:

Also, so few votes for Rocky Balboa? Did people actually watch the movie and not like it, or skipped it thinking it would be Rocky V+1?

I watched it (went to the movies with the guy I was dating because he wanted to see it) and I actually liked it. Was quite surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did. In fact as I was in Maryland for Christmas the week after it was released we went to Philly where I ran up the (last set of) steps and have a video of it.

Oh, and I voted for Rocky Balboa.

Clipsfan
09-26-2007, 02:09 PM
I actually enjoyed Rocky Balboa, although I wouldn't come close to calling it one of the best sports movies out there. I only voted for The Hustler and Enter the Dragon, deciding there is no reason to vote for 4 just because I can. I'm really surprised that The Hustler isn't getting more attention, as I think that it's a great movie. Maybe it's just too old?

Looked up it's awards history, just to make sure I wasn't crazy about critics liking it too...Won a couple Oscars (art direction, cinematography), but was nominated for all the majors (best actor, actress, supporting actor X2, picture, director, writer). Whatever, I like the movie.

g_olaf
09-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Of course, Kingpin is only the 2nd greatest movie about bowling ever made.
I notice that you forgot THE greatest bowling movie... Dude.

JasonEvans
09-26-2007, 05:39 PM
C'mon poeple-- just a few more votes and we'll have the first round DONE!!

--Jason "this poll is again threatening to decimate the Wild Card results-- Rounders and Ali in real danger!" Evans

JasonEvans
09-27-2007, 11:06 AM
One more BTTT and I am closing this one in a couple hours.

First round soon to be done!!

mph
09-27-2007, 12:38 PM
Folks are aware that they are voitng for the FNL movie, not TV show, right?

Movie = Terrible
T.V. Show = Excellent

I voted for Hustler, League of Their Own, Enter the Dragon, and Kingpin. No way I could leave Kingpin off the list.