PDA

View Full Version : Bring in Terps and move out the Irish

TerpsInACC
08-17-2015, 10:49 PM
As a lifetime Maryland and ACC fan since the early 1970s, let’s move Notre Dame to the Big Ten where they belong and bring my Maryland Terrapins back to the ACC. We have been playing Duke, UNC and other schools going back to the 1920s in the Southern Conference.

Yes, the Big Ten has been very nice to us but we do not belong here (just like it is crazy that West Virginia is in the Big 12) and nearly all of my alumni friends would prefer to be in the ACC but we suffer because Maryland made some financial mistakes. I miss the days when the ACC was all Southern schools below the Mason-Dixon Line. The ACC should get aggressive as I expect the Big Ten and the SEC to expand in the next few years as this has become more about money than fun and rivals.

dukebluelemur
08-17-2015, 10:54 PM
As a lifetime Maryland and ACC fan since the early 1970s, let’s move Notre Dame to the Big Ten where they belong and bring my Maryland Terrapins back to the ACC. We have been playing Duke, UNC and other schools going back to the 1920s in the Southern Conference.

Yes, the Big Ten has been very nice to us but we do not belong here (just like it is crazy that West Virginia is in the Big 12) and nearly all of my alumni friends would prefer to be in the ACC but we suffer because Maryland made some financial mistakes. I miss the days when the ACC was all Southern schools below the Mason-Dixon Line. The ACC should get aggressive as I expect the Big Ten and the SEC to expand in the next few years as this has become more about money than fun and rivals.

Nope.

No Take-backsies...

mo.st.dukie
08-17-2015, 11:02 PM
No thanks. I prefer Notre Dame even though they have given us trouble in the few games we've played them. I like where the ACC is at.

TerpsInACC
08-17-2015, 11:04 PM
I heard the Big Ten wants Virginia and possibly UNC. The SEC wants Clemson and Florida State. Would be great for the ACC to get aggressive with those 4 teams just mentioned and bring back Maryland. Try to add Florida, South Carolina and East Carolina and get rid of Notre Dame (they are in the heart of Big Ten country) and Louisville as their State does not even touch the Atlantic Coast. While we are it, get rid of Pitt, Syracuse and Boston College.

westwall
08-17-2015, 11:30 PM
Can we take the Maryland teams back -- but not their fans??

BigWayne
08-17-2015, 11:53 PM
I heard the Big Ten wants Virginia and possibly UNC. The SEC wants Clemson and Florida State. Would be great for the ACC to get aggressive with those 4 teams just mentioned and bring back Maryland. Try to add Florida, South Carolina and East Carolina and get rid of Notre Dame (they are in the heart of Big Ten country) and Louisville as their State does not even touch the Atlantic Coast. While we are it, get rid of Pitt, Syracuse and Boston College.

Who's this we? MD quit the ACC. The only way they get back in is if ND joins in football and the ACC can't find anybody better than MD to go with them. UConn might even be in front of MD in line.

Duvall
08-18-2015, 12:17 AM

Is this trolling? Literally none of this is legally possible, or in most cases, remotely desirable.

Olympic Fan
08-18-2015, 12:43 AM
Somebody's been reading too many message boards ...

No ACC team can leave until after 2026-27 at the earliest. Well, they can leave, but their broadcast rights remain with the ACC through that school year. So the SEC could take Clemson, but every Clemson TV game belongs to the ACC for more than a decade. Same for UNC and the Big Ten.

It's not happening.

As for Maryland coming back -- never in a million years, dude. The Terps burned all their bridges with a deceitful exit ... even if they wanted to come back (and I've seen no sign the do) the ACC wouldn't touch Maryland. Learn to enjoy all those games with Purdue and Iowa and Northwestern. You ain't getting Duke or UNC again, except in very special situations (hey, you do get to play UNC in Chapel Hill this season in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge.

The only possible ACC expansion in the next decade would be if Notre Dame decided to join the ACC for football. Then there's a chance the ACC could take a 16th school (that's just a possibility, not a certainty) to balance the divisions. If that happens (and it's not likely), I'm 100 percent sure that UConn would be ahead of Maryland in the pecking order.

gurufrisbee
08-18-2015, 12:49 AM
Stay in the Big Can't Count. It gives you a chance at conference title.

wilson
08-18-2015, 07:00 AM
It's like I turned on my computer in 2010. All of these conversations have been hashed and rehashed. The Twerps have made it clear how much better their new conference is than the ACC (even though they've barely spent any time there), and they have burned this bridge and chopped the remains into tiny bits. Good riddance.

luburch
08-18-2015, 07:06 AM
I'm not particularly fond of turtle soup.

OldPhiKap
08-18-2015, 07:35 AM
Isn't Penn State their natural rivals? I hear they won't even shake hands before a football game.

I also hear that Wisconsin is nice in January. Tell Bo we said hello.

There are some good Maryland fans, and I assume you are one of them. By and large, though, they were the most hostile, surly, paranoid fans in the conference. I do not miss having to go to Md, at least not since they left Cole Field House.

Edit to add: ND is an outstanding academic institution with great sports programs in MBB, football, lacrosse, and others. They squal or exceed Md in about every sport over time. I would like to see ND as a permanent football member, but am okay with the present arrangement.

TerpsInACC
08-18-2015, 08:06 AM
Sounds very dim that Maryland will ever come back to the ACC but it would have been great. We have our obnoxious fans (as do all) but the fans older than 40 years old respect Coach K very much and the entire ACC. When it comes to March Madness, I will still root for Maryland first and then all the ACC schools unless you are playing my Terps. I might even show up for the 2016 ACC tournament here in Washington, DC, wear a Maryland shirt and root for Duke. That will stun the media.

Don't forget that Maryland had the greatest sports chant ever in ACC history. Remember in the early 1980s, we had Buck Williams (out of Rocky Mount, NC) and we would yell, "Don't f_ck with Buck". Strange how Rasheed is now a Terp and our women basketball star, Lexie Brown, is now a Blue Devil.

moonpie23
08-18-2015, 08:22 AM
i'd rather have South Carolina back, but i think they're pretty happy in the SEC

Bob Green
08-18-2015, 08:30 AM
Is this trolling? Literally none of this is legally possible, or in most cases, remotely desirable.

Yes. Nothing to discuss here folks.