PDA

View Full Version : Worst Movie Ever and Why?

fuse
08-13-2015, 04:52 PM
I submit Sharkboy and Lava Girl as the worst movie ever.

I took my kids to see this in 2005 and I am pretty sure my senses have still not fully recovered.

I shudder every time I see it hit the TBS / TNT/ bad movie cable channel rotation.

I hereby drop the mike- I don't think anyone can top Shark Boy and Lava Girl as worst movie ever.

BD80
08-13-2015, 05:15 PM

I took my kids to see this in 2005 and I am pretty sure my senses have still not fully recovered.

I shudder every time I see it hit the TBS / TNT/ bad movie cable channel rotation.

I hereby drop the mike- I don't think anyone can top Shark Boy and Lava Girl as worst movie ever.

The most recent Adam Sandler movie

Jeffrey
08-13-2015, 05:20 PM

What did your kids think of it in 2005? How old were they then?

Rich
08-13-2015, 05:20 PM

Howard the Duck

It's the only movie I ever walked out of. Pick up your mike, there's a new sheriff in town.

According to IMDB, there's actually a movied called "The Worst Movie Ever!" so I guess by definition that movie is "The Worst Movie Ever!" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1801113/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

devildeac
08-13-2015, 06:22 PM
Scarface-worst sneer and Cuban accent ever? My ears and eyes haven't recovered from all the @#$%ing profanity and violence in this one.

Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death-not sure I've ever watched more than 3-5 minute segments of this but it might qualify.

Olympic Fan
08-13-2015, 06:23 PM
Pride of the Yankees

A baseball movie about real people and real situations that gets almost everything real wrong. Kind of like Oliver Stone's JFK.

gurufrisbee
08-13-2015, 06:42 PM
In terms of being really bad when it was reported to be really good and therefore it was the biggest drop from expectation to reality - Boyhood.

In terms of just being terrible, even though that's pretty much what you expected anyways, probably From Justin to Kelly.

fuse
08-13-2015, 06:56 PM
What did your kids think of it in 2005? How old were they then?

My oldest was 6 at the time and he loved it.

luvdahops
08-13-2015, 07:47 PM
Point Break. Despite having the acclaimed Kathryn Bigelow directing, this attempt at contemporary "action noir" fails miserably due to the laughably over the top and generally atrocius acting of leads Patrick Swayze, Keanu Reeves, Gary Busey (arguably the 3 worst American actors of any stature, at least until Adam Sandler came along) and Lori Petty. I understand that it became something of a cult classic after its theatrical run, but I have believe this is driven primarily by "so bad it's good" fetishists. A remake is apparently in the works nonetheless. Utterly baffling.

Mabdul Doobakus
08-13-2015, 07:48 PM
I liked Howard the Duck. But then again I first saw it when I was like 8 or something like that, so it's got sentimental value. I recognize it's largely terrible, but to me it's kind of terrible in a good way.

Worst movies for me?

1. Nothing But Trouble
2. Garbage Pail Kids Movie

Both of these movies make me physically nauseous when I watch them.

wilson
08-13-2015, 08:01 PM
M. Night Shamalamadingdong's "The Village" was really horrible. About 90 seconds into the film, I turned to my friend and jokingly "predicted" the gimmick twist at the end. An hour and 45 minutes of tortured dialogue and wooden acting later, it turned out I had been exactly right. We were so pissed that we went straight from the theater into the upcoming showing of "The Bourne Supremacy"...the one and only time I've ever done that.

Wander
08-13-2015, 08:04 PM
My worst movie relative to how much other people like it (which I guess is just the same as "most overrated") is Fight Club. To quote Roger Ebert, it "masquerades as philosophy."

I think the only movie I've ever actually turned off or walked away from when I had nothing else to do was John Carter.

OldPhiKap
08-13-2015, 08:48 PM
Boxong Helena. Kim Basinger decided that she would rather breach her contract to appear in it, and file for bankruptcy, than actually being in it. And she was right to make that choice.

Metaphysical suckitude.

JBDuke
08-13-2015, 10:12 PM
The problem with trying to name the "worst film ever" is that there are so many bad films that barely see the light of day and then disappear that few folks even have the chance to see them and experience their complete suckitude. There are plenty of terrible films. I have rated 1,367 films on my IMDB profile, and I have only given 1/10 ratings to seven of them:

In God We Tru$t
Space Jam
King Solomon's Mines (the 1985 version)
Best Defense
Rat Race
Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
The Beverly Hillbillies

They're all awful. So bad that you can't even enjoy their awfulness (like you can with, say, "Battle Beyond the Stars"). But there's no way I'm putting any of them up as The Worst Film Ever. I haven't seen such legendary baddies as "Manos: The Hands of Fate" or "The Hottie and the Nottie" or "The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed Up Zombies". And I doubt they would even objectively be the Worst Ever.

The Worst Ever is something that deservedly died on the vine and no one ever saw it.

fidel
08-13-2015, 10:15 PM
The first Star Trek movie. Although in retrospect, it was a good setup for the kind of quality the rest of them would have.

Ishtar lived up to its hype back in the day, and the hype was not good.

OldPhiKap
08-13-2015, 10:26 PM
I know that I am in the minority, and not the worst by far -- but I find it really hard to watch Napoleon Dynamite.

There, I said it.

jimsumner
08-13-2015, 10:33 PM
Any movie that has both Adam Sandler and Kevin James. It's darn near impossible to overcome one of them. But both? Not a scintilla of a chance.

YmoBeThere
08-13-2015, 10:53 PM
The Godfather III

Enough already...

devildeac
08-13-2015, 10:54 PM
I know that I am in the minority, and not the worst by far -- but I find it really hard to watch Napoleon Dynamite.

There, I said it.

We can be a minority of 2 then. My wife and children (now married adults) all like this. I found it painful to watch, badly acted and minimally humorous.

devildeac
08-13-2015, 10:56 PM
My worst movie relative to how much other people like it (which I guess is just the same as "most overrated") is Fight Club. To quote Roger Ebert, it "masquerades as philosophy."

I think the only movie I've ever actually turned off or walked away from when I had nothing else to do was John Carter.

I thought one of the unwritten DBR rules was that we weren't allowed to mention/discuss Fight Club:rolleyes:.

tbyers11
08-13-2015, 11:06 PM

There, I said it.

We can be a minority of 2 then. My wife and children (now married adults) all like this. I found it painful to watch, badly acted and minimally humorous.

Number 3 here. It comes nowhere here the worst movie I've ever seen but I think I laughed maybe twice in the whole movie and cringed a lot. Jon Heder was so one note it seemed like an SNL sketch. It got huge hype and I was smack dab in the middle of the target audience (27 yrs) but it did nothing for me.

gurufrisbee
08-13-2015, 11:10 PM
It's fun reading all of these. Some of my all time favorite movies - ones that I think are some of the best ever - have been mentioned. And others made me think - 'ooh, maybe I should have said that one'.

cspan37421
08-13-2015, 11:19 PM
There's no accounting for taste.

I enjoyed both Boyhood and Napoleon Dynamite ... and I wasn't nearly alone on either count. That said, I do admit not liking Napoleon Dynamite the first time. I didn't "get it" ... the humor ... my expectations were way off (not in terms of quality of humor, but style). Upon second viewing, I came to appreciate the subtle humor that poked fun at both lightly absurd situations and gullible characters. There's a reason it was so eminently quotable. "How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?"

Anyway, just a few quick observations.

When I was a teen in the 80s, at that time, the consensus worst movie of all time to that point was Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. I saw it ... it was truly bad. Not as in so-bad-its-good, but just bad. Obligatory XKCD:

https://xkcd.com/653/ (https://xkcd.com/653/)

Recently, I've noticed another contender for the throne - a 2003 movie called The Room.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368226/

I've not seen it, but I've seen some clips. It does indeed look bad, but not in an intentionally absurd way like Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. Rather, it is said to bring ineptness in filmmaking to new lows.

One last parting shot: I didn't think Red Hot American Summer (either the original movie or the Netflix prequel, part 1) are nearly as funny as my DD thinks it is. Not saying it's a contender for worst ever, but if I score it by (expectation - reality) it falls waaaay short in my book. It's just not that funny, and I can't figure out why. It may be the delivery, editing, timing, not sure. But I've seen some of the same type of gags done well and this just lands like a thud.

Acymetric
08-13-2015, 11:26 PM
Nobody has brought up Death Race 2000 yet?

Olympic Fan
08-14-2015, 12:00 AM
I agree that taste is different for everybody (although I agree that Napoleon Dynamite is unwatchable).

But to me, there's a difference between a truly bad movie such as one of Ed Woods masterpieces (Plan 9 from Outer Space; Glen or Glenda) and some camp movies that are intentionally bad - such as The Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.

Edouble
08-14-2015, 12:38 AM
Point Break. Despite having the acclaimed Kathryn Bigelow directing, this attempt at contemporary "action noir" fails miserably due to the laughably over the top and generally atrocius acting of leads Patrick Swayze, Keanu Reeves, Gary Busey (arguably the 3 worst American actors of any stature, at least until Adam Sandler came along) and Lori Petty. I understand that it became something of a cult classic after its theatrical run, but I have believe this is driven primarily by "so bad it's good" fetishists. A remake is apparently in the works nonetheless. Utterly baffling.

It's already been remade and it was called The Fast and The Furious. It still astounds me how cleanly that moved lifted everything straight from Point Break.

I think you're selling Patrick Swayze and Gary Busey short. Swayze was solid in Dirty Dancing, Ghost, and Donnie Darko. It was reported that Gary Busey absolutely nailed Buddy Holly so close to the mark that his widow had to watch the movie in short segments... his performance was that good.

Edouble
08-14-2015, 12:43 AM
The problem with trying to name the "worst film ever" is that there are so many bad films that barely see the light of day and then disappear that few folks even have the chance to see them and experience their complete suckitude. There are plenty of terrible films. I have rated 1,367 films on my IMDB profile, and I have only given 1/10 ratings to seven of them:

In God We Tru$t
Space Jam
Best Defense
Rat Race
The Beverly Hillbillies

They're all awful. So bad that you can't even enjoy their awfulness (like you can with, say, "Battle Beyond the Stars"). But there's no way I'm putting any of them up as The Worst Film Ever. I haven't seen such legendary baddies as "Manos: The Hands of Fate" or "The Hottie and the Nottie" or "The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed Up Zombies". And I doubt they would even objectively be the Worst Ever.

The Worst Ever is something that deservedly died on the vine and no one ever saw it.

You make a good point, but there are some movies that are really, really, really bad that still see the light of day, such as The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

gurufrisbee
08-14-2015, 01:52 AM
The movies Rob Schneider has been in have made a total of 878 million dollars. Clearly just because movies are bad it doesn't mean people don't watch them.

It is reassuring to see so many who dislike Napoleon Dynamite. I can't believe how many times I was told after it came out that I must just not "get" the humor. I got it - it just wasn't funny.

luburch
08-14-2015, 07:16 AM

In God We Tru$t
Space Jam
Best Defense
Rat Race
The Beverly Hillbillies

Space Jam?!?!

I've never met anyone who even had a bad word to say about that movie.

moonpie23
08-14-2015, 07:57 AM
Dune.

can't get those 2 hrs back...

fuse
08-14-2015, 08:15 AM
I agree that taste is different for everybody (although I agree that Napoleon Dynamite is unwatchable).

But to me, there's a difference between a truly bad movie such as one of Ed Woods masterpieces (Plan 9 from Outer Space; Glen or Glenda) and some camp movies that are intentionally bad - such as The Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.

You win a prize- I wondered how long it would take for someone to mention Plan 9 from Outer Space. I had a friend who really wanted to watch it (before the Johnny Depp Ed Wood made that an event) and there was no enough beer in the room/house/neighborhood/county to watch it.

I also agree with the Napoleon Dynamite detractors. Not a fan.

fuse
08-14-2015, 08:17 AM
Dune.

can't get those 2 hrs back...

I find myself in the minority of those who enjoyed Dune. Not saying it wasn't a bad movie.

Tommac
08-14-2015, 08:21 AM
My favorite worst movies were Ishtar from way back and most recently Green Lantern. I fell asleep during both because I got so bored. Another recent worst movie was Apollo 18 from a couple years ago. Hated the way it was filmed, all herky jerky and then the end just fizzled. Up thread some bemoaned Napoleon Dynamite. I felt the same way the first time I watched it. Then upon several more viewings I began to like it for the pure amateurishness of it. It has to grow on you. It truly has become a cult classic.

PSurprise
08-14-2015, 08:59 AM
I think my most recent worst movie ever that I saw was Fast & Furious Tokyo Drift. I was waiting for Godzilla to pop up at any moment and eat the 'actors'. Unfortunately I was disappointed.

ramdevil
08-14-2015, 09:34 AM
Flyboys ("fear the hook")
SpyKids 3

Jeffrey
08-14-2015, 10:09 AM
My oldest was 6 at the time and he loved it.

Clearly, that's the age they were after. My girl also loved it when she was 6. I walked out of the room every time she watched it (which was many).

CameronBornAndBred
08-14-2015, 10:18 AM
Scarface-worst sneer and Cuban accent ever? My ears and eyes haven't recovered from all the @#$%ing profanity and violence in this one.

Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death-not sure I've ever watched more than 3-5 minute segments of this but it might qualify.
I love watching "bad movies" on Prime, and that's one I checked out a few months ago. I loved it...lol. Bill Maher has some great moments in it. BUT...with that movie, you KNOW it's going to be bad; it wasn't ever intended to be anything serious. Kind of like lots of Troma Team flicks.
I read an interview with the guy responsible for the Sharknado movies, and he was talking about if they had the huge budget of a true Hollywood movie, their productions would likely get better reviews than many of the main stream movies that people actually go pay to see. I'm guessing he isn't wrong.

CameronBornAndBred
08-14-2015, 10:20 AM
Nobody has brought up Death Race 2000 yet?
Another movie I watched on Prime and loved...lol. Might be one of Sylvester Stallone's finest films!

alteran
08-14-2015, 10:24 AM

There, I said it.

I'm with you.

I. DO. NOT. GET. IT.

That being said, when I watched it I really had the feeling that it was "good but I don't get it"-- like some people here feel about Fight Club ;-)-- versus "it's just bad."

alteran
08-14-2015, 10:25 AM
I thought one of the unwritten DBR rules was that we weren't allowed to mention/discuss Fight Club:rolleyes:.
Actually, that's TWO of the rules.

Which reminds me, my wife has warned me that there will be severe consequences the next time she mentions her book club and I respond with, "the first rule about Book Club is..."

alteran
08-14-2015, 10:37 AM
I enjoyed both Boyhood and Napoleon Dynamite ... and I wasn't nearly alone on either count. That said, I do admit not liking Napoleon Dynamite the first time. I didn't "get it" ... the humor ... my expectations were way off (not in terms of quality of humor, but style). Upon second viewing, I came to appreciate the subtle humor that poked fun at both lightly absurd situations and gullible characters. There's a reason it was so eminently quotable. "How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?"

My brother and I had this exact experience with The Big Lebowski.

We were in Atlanta the night before a certain bowl game. We got there a day or two early because we DO NOT TRUST THE AIRLINES. We were channel surfing in our hotel room and caught the beginning of TBL.

I had a movie buff friend that forced me to watch it years back. While it certainly had its moments, as a whole it didn't do much for me. My brother had seen it once and and felt the same.

We discussed how we never got what the fuss was all about for a few minutes, and it was still on. We kept watching. We ended up ordering room service and watched the whole thing-- and had a blast.

I don't know why it grew so much on us the second time around (or why it missed us the first time), but it really did.

devildeac
08-14-2015, 10:40 AM
I love watching "bad movies" on Prime, and that's one I checked out a few months ago. I loved it...lol. Bill Maher has some great moments in it. BUT...with that movie, you KNOW it's going to be bad; it wasn't ever intended to be anything serious. Kind of like lots of Troma Team flicks.
I read an interview with the guy responsible for the Sharknado movies, and he was talking about if they had the huge budget of a true Hollywood movie, their productions would likely get better reviews than many of the main stream movies that people actually go pay to see. I'm guessing he isn't wrong.

The two female "stars" were more of an attraction:o. A friend told me this, of course.

mph
08-14-2015, 10:57 AM
Battlefield Earth. Unwatchable. The story makes no sense, the fighting scenes are incomprehensible, the special effects are terrible, the acting is abysmal, and the writing includes lines like, "I am going to make you as happy as a baby Psychlo on a straight diet of kerbango."

CameronBornAndBred
08-14-2015, 11:38 AM
Battlefield Earth. Unwatchable. The story makes no sense, the fighting scenes are incomprehensible, the special effects are terrible, the acting is abysmal, and the writing includes lines like, "I am going to make you as happy as a baby Psychlo on a straight diet of kerbango."
Now we're talkin'! A big budget movie that absolutely sucked. And one that I unfortunately watched, but at least it was seen on tv. That's the thing about making this list. I think they should be movies that were intended to be awesome, but totally sucked. I know Sharkboy and Lavagirl has to be up there, even though I didn't see it. My ex and her stepsons went and saw that one in the movies, and I have never heard anyone bash a movie as being so gawdawful as they did that one. Saved me from experiencing the pain myself, and hopefully I've missed out on others that people would put up here.

JasonEvans
08-14-2015, 12:10 PM
As someone said earlier, there are a lot of high quality films being mentioned in this thread as among the worst ever. Point Break, Napolean Dynamite, Boyhood (which I personally hated), and several others are widely loved by many people.

I find it more productive to talk about certain individuals who seem to always be connected to terrible films. I think that Adam Sandler and M Night Shamalamadingdong are a truly formidable pair of terrible filmmakers (Sandler is not a director, but plays a major role in the production of all his films).

Sandler's back-to-back Jack & Jill and That's My Boy has to be some kind of record for awfulness. Jack and Jill is the only film in history to sweep every single category at the Raspberries (the awards for the worst film of the year) and That's My Boy actually featured multiple scenes of Sandler pleasuring himself to pictures of an 80+ year old grandma as well as scenes trying to make jokes about the Kleenex Sandler used while pleasuring himself. I'm serious... that is what passes for humor in this film.

On the other hand, Night made (in succession) The Village (which I didn't think was that awful), The Lady in the Water (which made no sense at all), The Happening (which featured some of the worst acting ever and had a plot that was so laughably bad, I'm still not sure if it was serious or some kind of parody), The Last Airbender (fans of the TV series want to physically hurt Night for what he did to this film), and After Earth (where Night instructed Will Smith to read every line like he was a robot).

On the whole, I think that the past decade of M Night's career has been the worst we will ever see. His movies have decent budgets and he gets successful actors to appear in them. There is no excuse for his awfulness. Sandler at least peppers some of his movies with one or two moderately funny scenes.

-Jason "has there ever been a filmmaker to start with greatness (The Sixth Sense) and then have each successive film be worse than the one before?" Evans

gus
08-14-2015, 12:35 PM
Birth of a Nation

luburch
08-14-2015, 12:42 PM
As someone said earlier, there are a lot of high quality films being mentioned in this thread as among the worst ever. Point Break, Napolean Dynamite, Boyhood (which I personally hated), and several others are widely loved by many people.

I find it more productive to talk about certain individuals who seem to always be connected to terrible films. I think that Adam Sandler and M Night Shamalamadingdong are a truly formidable pair of terrible filmmakers (Sandler is not a director, but plays a major role in the production of all his films).

Sandler's back-to-back Jack & Jill and That's My Boy has to be some kind of record for awfulness. Jack and Jill is the only film in history to sweep every single category at the Raspberries (the awards for the worst film of the year) and That's My Boy actually featured multiple scenes of Sandler pleasuring himself to pictures of an 80+ year old grandma as well as scenes trying to make jokes about the Kleenex Sandler used while pleasuring himself. I'm serious... that is what passes for humor in this film.

On the other hand, Night made (in succession) The Village (which I didn't think was that awful), The Lady in the Water (which made no sense at all), The Happening (which featured some of the worst acting ever and had a plot that was so laughably bad, I'm still not sure if it was serious or some kind of parody), The Last Airbender (fans of the TV series want to physically hurt Night for what he did to this film),and After Earth (where Night instructed Will Smith to read every line like he was a robot).

On the whole, I think that the past decade of M Night's career has been the worst we will ever see. His movies have decent budgets and he gets successful actors to appear in them. There is no excuse for his awfulness. Sandler at least peppers some of his movies with one or two moderately funny scenes.

-Jason "has there ever been a filmmaker to start with greatness (The Sixth Sense) and then have each successive film be worse than the one before?" Evans

I was actually going to nominate this as the worst movie I have ever seen. Thanks for beating me to it!

JasonEvans
08-14-2015, 12:42 PM
By the way, he is not well known, but there should be a special place in hell for filmmaker Tom Brady. He's a close associate of Adam Sandler and Rob Schneider and has never made anything even remotely approaching watchable. Here are the films he has directed:

The Animal - Rob Schneider as a man who gets hurt and then nursed back to help by a mad scientist who uses animal parts to repair Rob. As a result, Rob starts acting like different animals. It scored a 30% on Rotten Tomatoes. That makes it far and away the best film Brady has ever made.

The Hot Chick - Rob Schneider again as a criminal who's mind is swapped with a ditsy teenage girl in a sorta Freaky Friday kind of thing. It managed a robust 21% on Rotten Tomatoes and led film critic Richard Roper to write that the only good thing he could say about the film was, "It was mostly in focus."

The Comebacks - David Koechner (Champ Kind from the Anchorman films) plays a horrible football coach who finally manages to have a decent team. It is a parody of sports movies. It garnered a delightful Rotten Tomatoes score of 9%.

Bucky Larson: Born to be a Star - The plot of this film centers around the stupid, buck-toothed son of two former porn actors who finds out what his parents used to do and decides he too is going to go into "adult films," despite the fact that he has a tiny... uhh... member. Several famous actors are in it including Christina Ricci, Stepher Dorff, Edward Herrmann, and Don Johnson. It managed to get a truly unusual 0% on Rotten Tomatoes.

-Jason "at least he does not deflate footballs ;) " Evans

gus
08-14-2015, 12:47 PM
By the way, he is not well known, but there should be a special place in hell for filmmaker Tom Brady. He's a close associate of Adam Sandler and Rob Schneider and has never made anything even remotely approaching watchable. Here are the films he has directed:

The Animal - Rob Schneider as a man who gets hurt and then nursed back to help by a mad scientist who uses animal parts to repair Rob. As a result, Rob starts acting like different animals. It scored a 30% on Rotten Tomatoes. That makes it far and away the best film Brady has ever made.

The Hot Chick - Rob Schneider again as a criminal who's mind is swapped with a ditsy teenage girl in a sorta Freaky Friday kind of thing. It managed a robust 21% on Rotten Tomatoes and led film critic Richard Roper to write that the only good thing he could say about the film was, "It was mostly in focus."

The Comebacks - David Koechner (Champ Kind from the Anchorman films) plays a horrible football coach who finally manages to have a decent team. It is a parody of sports movies. It garnered a delightful Rotten Tomatoes score of 9%.

Bucky Larson: Born to be a Star - The plot of this film centers around the stupid, buck-toothed son of two former porn actors who finds out what his parents used to do and decides he too is going to go into "adult films," despite the fact that he has a tiny... uhh... member. Several famous actors are in it including Christina Ricci, Stepher Dorff, Edward Herrmann, and Don Johnson. It managed to get a truly unusual 0% on Rotten Tomatoes.

-Jason "at least he does not deflate footballs ;) " Evans

Isn't he in one of the Ted movies? Having seen neither I don't know if that supports or challenges your assertion.

JasonEvans
08-14-2015, 12:58 PM
Isn't he in one of the Ted movies? Having seen neither I don't know if that supports or challenges your assertion.

Tom Brady the QB is in Ted 2. Tom Brady the filmmaker is not a movie actor or an athlete.

http://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/bradypic__120928010157.jpeg

-Jason "I was wrong about The Animal. He did not direct it. He wrote it" Evans

Bostondevil
08-14-2015, 01:10 PM
I'm not going to pick on a low budget movie because I feel that's not fair.

No, I'm going big time, Oscar winning, and absolutely terrible. Unwatchable. Makes me gag.

West Side Story.

Worst. Movie. Ever.

Is part of the problem that it's based on the worst Broadway musical of all time? Sure. But so what?

Tom B.
08-14-2015, 01:17 PM
United Passions. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkdvawW6Vzw)

alteran
08-14-2015, 01:36 PM
As someone said earlier, there are a lot of high quality films being mentioned in this thread as among the worst ever. Point Break...

Uhm, this is where you lost me. The best compliment one could possibly give Point Break is, "so bad it's good." It is not a high quality film unless you have some obscure point about camera angles or something.

I agree Napoleon Dynamite is a good film even though I really don't get it.

cspan37421
08-14-2015, 02:07 PM
Birth of a Nation

well that escalated quickly.

Did I just hear a microphone hit the floor?

PSurprise
08-14-2015, 02:16 PM
well that escalated quickly.

Did I just hear a microphone hit the floor?

Probably not from the movie. I heard it was up for best soundtrack but lost.

gurufrisbee
08-14-2015, 02:40 PM
I love Point Break. It's terrific fun. And I still think it might be my favorite Keanu performance ever (not that he has a lot of good ones to compete with it).

And Fight Club is one of my all time favorite movies. I think it's brilliant and the most fantastically quotable movie this side of The Princess Bride.

I doubt there has been a year since those came out that I haven't seen them at least once during the year.

But there is definitely room to find a truly horrible movie and just love how bad it is. The entire Sharknado franchise is based on that concept and they have fully embraced it (and I love those!).

Another great one for that idea is Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama.

Udaman
08-14-2015, 04:01 PM
I agree with others that there are two kinds of bad movies - those made intentionally bad (like Attack of the Killer Tomatoes or any Ed Wood movie), and those where the people weren't trying to make an awful movie. It's the latter category that I think of with this thread.

Yes, I agree that most of the Adam Sandler movies fall within this...though he actually threads the line between the two genres (he is intentionally making movies that he knows are awful). Still, I would have to put Jack and Jill and Grown Ups 2 in both lists.

For me I once made a list of the Top 50 Bad Movies like that. I can't find the list at the moment, but I know that on it was

The Thin Red Line (which I absolutely hated)
Popeye (the first movie that I remember seeing and being just inconsolably disappointed in)
White Chicks (though kind of in that Sandberg category)
The Flinstones (could have been so good....and wasn't)

then there's almost a separate category of awful sequels. We've hashed this out before but

Superman IV (worst ever)
Caddyshack 2
Spiderman 3
X-Men 3

Are all up there.

Switching gears slightly, to bad TV shows, my spouse and I watched Wet Hot American Summer on Netflix last night (the first episode). It's awful. Truly awful. And absolutely hysterical. This one is trying to be awful. Considering that it's a prequel with the same actors from the 2001 movie (except now almost all of the actors are extremely successful), it's incredible as well. We want to watch the 2nd episode. Except we don't - because it was terrible. And yet we will - because it was unbelievable.

cspan37421
08-14-2015, 04:39 PM
Switching gears slightly, to bad TV shows, my spouse and I watched Wet Hot American Summer on Netflix last night (the first episode). It's awful. Truly awful. And absolutely hysterical. This one is trying to be awful. Considering that it's a prequel with the same actors from the 2001 movie (except now almost all of the actors are extremely successful), it's incredible as well. We want to watch the 2nd episode. Except we don't - because it was terrible. And yet we will - because it was unbelievable.

I'm glad you mentioned this one. I saw the movie and felt pretty disappointed that it wasn't funnier. Then DD returns from summer job raving about Wet Hot prequel on Netflix. I read up a little on it to get some of the context ... same actors playing ever-so-slightly YOUNGER versions of themselves, 15 years later. Ha ha. OK, let's go with it.

About 10 minutes in, Rudd's character is trying to get the attention of - I think - Lake Bell's (could have been Marguerite Moreau, not sure). She politely brushes off his expressed interest, to which he does a bit of an eye-roll and head-shake, with a devil-may-care (yet he does!) "pfffft." Then he does it again, as if his buddy might not have picked up on it. I can't remember if his buddy returns the "pffffft", but Rudd does it about 6 more times ... Just back and forth. And that's supposed to be funny. I turned the darn thing off at that point. If there's something called too clever by half, this was too stupid by three-fourths.

I try never to accuse people of "not getting" the humor ... most of the time it's the case that people get it, they just don't find it funny. DD thinks I just don't get it, but oh, I do.

I think.

davekay1971
08-14-2015, 04:44 PM
Tom Brady the QB is in Ted 2. Tom Brady the filmmaker is not a movie actor or an athlete.

http://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/bradypic__120928010157.jpeg

-Jason "I was wrong about The Animal. He did not direct it. He wrote it" Evans

I'm not about to go looking for a picture of Ron Jeremy on a work computer...but separated at birth?

YmoBeThere
08-14-2015, 05:45 PM
I'm not about to go looking for a picture of Ron Jeremy on a work computer...but separated at birth?
I'm no expert on Ron Jeremy, but have seen him in some mainstream cameos. Nope, not the same.

sagegrouse
08-14-2015, 11:00 PM
I mean, back in 1970, the days of Hippiedom and letting everything hang out, Michael Sarne was allowed to make a movie from Gore Vidal's 1968 novel, Myra Breckinridge. It was acknowledged to be a production disaster but released anyway. It was so bad that the 2oth Century Fox advertising for the movie said, "Everything you have heard about Myra Breckinridge is true." Per Wiki:

Myra Breckinridge is a 1970 American comedy film based on Gore Vidal's 1968 novel of the same name. The film was directed by Michael Sarne, and featured Raquel Welch in the title role. It also starred John Huston as Buck Loner, Mae West as Leticia Van Allen, Farrah Fawcett, Rex Reed, Roger Herren, and Roger C. Carmel. Tom Selleck made his film debut in a small role as one of Leticia's "studs". Theadora Van Runkle was costume designer for the film, though Edith Head designed West's costumes.[3]

Like the novel, the picture follows the exploits of Myra Breckinridge as she goes to Hollywood to turn it inside out; also in the story are a former Hollywood siren named Leticia and Myra's alter ego, Myron, who originally was a man before he became Myra.

The picture was controversial for its sexual explicitness ... , but unlike the novel, Myra Breckinridge received little to no critical praise and has been cited as one of the worst films ever made.[4]

moonpie23
08-14-2015, 11:27 PM

ok.....this is correct....i had blotted it from my memory

JBDuke
08-14-2015, 11:39 PM
Space Jam?!?!

Yep. Absolutely hated it. For context, I was closing in on 30 when it was released, so I was not the target audience. Duke fan, hate Carolina and Michael Jordan due to his association with them, and the film lionizes him and his alma mater. I love the classic Bugs Bunny cartoons, but by the 90s, Warner Brothers had emasculated the Bunny and all of the good stuff was gone from his cartoons. Plot was awful. Bill Murray was awful. I have no idea what Wayne Knight was doing. And asking NBA stars to act is almost always a horrible idea.

There's nothing to like about the film.

gurufrisbee
08-15-2015, 01:09 AM
Space Jam was terrible. Two hours of sucking up to Jordan's enormous ego. I actually thought Murray was funny. But beyond that, no, it was not good.

OldPhiKap
08-15-2015, 07:55 AM
Space Jam was terrible. Two hours of sucking up to Jordan's enormous ego. I actually thought Murray was funny. But beyond that, no, it was not good.

I heard an interview with LeBron yesterday, he wants to star in a sequel.

True.

davekay1971
08-15-2015, 08:22 AM
I did a quick search of this thread and, forgive me if I missed it, but...

Star Trek V

"Row row row your boat"

"What does God need with a starship?"

Uhura's fan dance

Everything else about the movie

This was the movie that followed the trilogy of Star Trek II (sheer awesome), Star Trek III (far less awesome, with virtually no Leonard Nemoy and who's-that-playing-Saavik, but Christopher Lloyd as a Klingon made up for a lot), and Star Trek IV (probably the funniest Star Trek movie I've seen...and, unlike Star Trek V, it was intentionally funny). Great, now Spock's alive and back to himself, they've got a brand new Enterprise to fly around the galaxy with, so our crew can now go do...anything, and with better budget and special effects than ever. So what do we do? Go camping, watch Vulcans act not at all like Vulcans, go on some whacked out finding God quest, and watch the classy and dignified Nichelle Nichols put in one of the most uncomfortably awkward scenes of all time.

As a nerdy teenage Star Trek fan, I walked out of this movie ticked off and a little embarrassed.

JNort
08-15-2015, 09:13 AM
I hate all these equally: The Village, Napoleon Dynamite, End of Watch, The Pursuit of Happiness and Borat. Ugh thinking of these movies hurt my head.

moonpie23
08-15-2015, 09:18 AM
TWIN PEAKS - FIRE WALK WITH ME was pretty atrocious

JasonEvans
08-15-2015, 12:22 PM

Star Trek V

"Row row row your boat"

Uhura's fan dance

This was the movie that followed the trilogy of Star Trek II (sheer awesome), Star Trek III (far less awesome, with virtually no Leonard Nemoy and who's-that-playing-Saavik, but Christopher Lloyd as a Klingon made up for a lot), and Star Trek IV (probably the funniest Star Trek movie I've seen...and, unlike Star Trek V, it was intentionally funny). Great, now Spock's alive and back to himself, they've got a brand new Enterprise to fly around the galaxy with, so our crew can now go do...anything, and with better budget and special effects than ever. So what do we do? Go camping, watch Vulcans act not at all like Vulcans, go on some whacked out finding God quest, and watch the classy and dignified Nichelle Nichols put in one of the most uncomfortably awkward scenes of all time.

As a nerdy teenage Star Trek fan, I walked out of this movie ticked off and a little embarrassed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxk1BSQo8bg
Oh, this is some really low level of awful!

JBDuke
08-15-2015, 12:43 PM

Star Trek V

"Row row row your boat"

Uhura's fan dance

Agreed. ST-V is some kind of bad. I gave it a 2/10 on IMDB.

gurufrisbee
08-15-2015, 01:02 PM
Never got that far. The whales in IV were so stupid I stopped then.

CameronBornAndBred
08-15-2015, 03:12 PM
Never got that far. The whales in IV were so stupid I stopped then.
Perfect example of hate movie vs love movie.
IV is one of the few I'll watch any time it's on TV.

NashvilleDevil
08-15-2015, 08:57 PM
Freddie Got Fingered

weezie
08-15-2015, 09:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxk1BSQo8bg
Oh, this is some really low level of awful!

Yet still not as loathsome and almighty bad as "Cabin Boy"
Yeah that's right, I sat through most of it. Oyyyyyy

cf-62
08-18-2015, 10:46 PM

In God We Tru$t
Space Jam
Best Defense
Rat Race
The Beverly Hillbillies

Come on JMD -- THe Beverly Hillbillies? How can you give any movie a one in which Leah Thompson says "[H]a ppiness is ard to find!"

cspan37421
08-19-2015, 06:19 AM
Lola Versus was pretty bad, IMO.

And my recollection was that it wasn't just the script (which was pretty unappealing), but the acting, too.

Bostondevil
08-19-2015, 11:49 AM
Yet still not as loathsome and almighty bad as "Cabin Boy"
Yeah that's right, I sat through most of it. Oyyyyyy

You didn't like Cabin Boy? I'll admit the third act is a huge morass of uncomprehensible muck, but, c'mon Cabin Boy has some great, great lines.

David Letterman's cameo? "Man, I hate those fancy lads."

Also

"I haven't powdered my bottom since I was 17!"
"And when I return I shall be a cabin man."
"These pipes are clean!"

That said, when I was laughing my butt off at The Men Who Stare at Goats, I realized that my husband and I were the only ones in the theater laughing. I maintain that when people say they look for a sense of humor in potential romantic partners - what they mean is they look for a similar sense of humor. If you don't find most of the same things funny, it's not going to work.

I always forget you can't say I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. around here. You can be an I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. to your fellow posters, but you can't say it. Wankers.

weezie
08-19-2015, 07:01 PM
You didn't like Cabin Boy? I'll admit the third act is a huge morass of uncomprehensible muck, but, c'mon Cabin Boy has some great, great lines.

David Letterman's cameo? "Man, I hate those fancy lads."

Also

"I haven't powdered my bottom since I was 17!"
"And when I return I shall be a cabin man."
"These pipes are clean!"

Good points. Pretty thin gruel but you are correct!

Husband-of-weezie and I did laugh at Hamlet 2, which went down in flames elsewhere.
And I totes agree on your wankeral philosophy :cool:

neemizzle
08-20-2015, 12:34 AM
I'm a youth pastor but I must say a lot of Christian movies are pretty terrible. Their message? Yeah sure, but the acting? Psh. The editing? Absolutely not. The story? What story?

camion
08-20-2015, 06:52 AM
I was just reminded of my nomimee: The Apple (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1001131-apple/) from 1980.

It's an anti-musical musical from Golan (of Golan-Globus). This one was aiming for the stars and fell off a cliff.

If you've ever wanted to see God in a leisure suit this is your movie.

Jarhead
08-20-2015, 02:08 PM
Netflix sent us a movie we mistakenly ordered, Just Go with It. We watched the first few minutes, realizing we were watching the worst movie ever, so it should be on this list. In fact, any movie with Adam Sandler would qualify, it would seem.

HaveFunExpectToWin
08-20-2015, 04:54 PM
I liked Howard the Duck. But then again I first saw it when I was like 8 or something like that, so it's got sentimental value. I recognize it's largely terrible, but to me it's kind of terrible in a good way.

Worst movies for me?

1. Nothing But Trouble
2. Garbage Pail Kids Movie

Both of these movies make me physically nauseous when I watch them.

Came here to say Nothing But Trouble. Glad I'm not the only one. God it was bad.

DukieInKansas
08-20-2015, 05:47 PM
Space Jam?!?!

It has Michael Jordan in it - enough said.

weezie
08-20-2015, 08:31 PM

I'm with DinK.

OldPhiKap
08-20-2015, 08:35 PM

I'm with DinK.

I am proud to throw my lot in with DinK and weezie. Never saw it, never will.

fuse
08-20-2015, 08:57 PM
I am proud to throw my lot in with DinK and weezie. Never saw it, never will.

How can you throw your lot in with worst movie ever having not seen it ?????? :-)

OldPhiKap
08-20-2015, 09:03 PM
How can you throw your lot in with worst movie ever having not seen it ?????? :-)

Because it was so bad, even I would not see it! ;-)

Reisen
08-20-2015, 09:07 PM
Battlefield Earth is a good pull, and high on my list.

Point Break is great!

gurufrisbee
08-21-2015, 11:12 AM

It's not so much that it has him in it - it's that it's a two hour session of stroking his massive ego.

And it was pretty dumb.

But Bill Murray was funny for the two minutes he was in it.

CameronBornAndBred
08-21-2015, 01:20 PM
NPR's The Money Team took a look at a truly awful movie (which I have not seen), and noted how it became one of the most profitable movies in history.
In 2012, The Devil Inside was made for a budget of 1 million dollars, and took in a grand sum of 101 million. The ending (also which I've never seen) has a special place as being one of the worst ever made, so bad that people actually booed at the credits. (There are various youtube vids of this.) It took it's opening weekend, and then barely saw the light of day again.
How was such a horrible movie able to make so much money? The studio spent quadruple the budget that it took to make the movie on marketing the movie, and it paid off in numbers. (Numbers of suckers with dollars.)

davekay1971
08-21-2015, 07:41 PM
My wife mentioned Keanu Reaves. Which reminds me of...

Johnny Mnemonic.

So background: First read William Gibson's masterpiece short story, Johnny Mnemonic. It's nothing but awesome. Beyond awesome. High tech boy going low tech. Double barreled shotgun. Molly Millions. Yakuza with the monomolecular filament. If you've ever read this early peace of cyberpunk glory, you know what I'm talking about. All the awesome of Count Zero and Necromancer boiled down to one short story of mind-bending coolness.

Then they made it into a movie and Keanu Reaves gets the lead. This movie was a charlie foxtrot from beginning to end. (charlie foxtrot is code for cluster starts-with-f, in case you didn't know). I can't begin to even...it's just...so much awesome turned into utter and complete unwatchable crap.

I'm having flashbacks. I should have put a trigger warning on this post for anyone else who ever saw that movie.

(actually, this entire thread needs a trigger warning)

devildeac
08-21-2015, 07:50 PM
My wife mentioned Keanu Reaves. Which reminds me of...

Johnny Mnemonic.

So background: First read William Gibson's masterpiece short story, Johnny Mnemonic. It's nothing but awesome. Beyond awesome. High tech boy going low tech. Double barreled shotgun. Molly Millions. Yakuza with the monomolecular filament. If you've ever read this early peace of cyberpunk glory, you know what I'm talking about. All the awesome of Count Zero and Necromancer boiled down to one short story of mind-bending coolness.

Then they made it into a movie and Keanu Reaves gets the lead. This movie was a charlie foxtrot from beginning to end. (charlie foxtrot is code for cluster starts-with-f, in case you didn't know). I can't begin to even...it's just...so much awesome turned into utter and complete unwatchable crap.

I'm having flashbacks. I should have put a trigger warning on this post for anyone else who ever saw that movie.

(actually, this entire thread needs a trigger warning)

I think this entire thread needs a Hop, Drop and Roll;).

Mabdul Doobakus
08-23-2015, 10:40 AM
Came here to say Nothing But Trouble. Glad I'm not the only one. God it was bad.

There are quite a few of us out there. Oddly enough, the movie does have its supporters. There are bad movies that are just bad and nothing more, and then there are bad movies that make me unhappy and physically ill when I watch them. Nothing But Trouble used to run a lot on HBO when I was a kid, and for some reason I watched at least parts of it 3-4 times, probably out of morbid fascination, until I realized it was having an affect on me. That movie is repulsive.

Highlander
08-24-2015, 02:46 PM
Pret a Porter (Ready to Wear) - only movie I have ever left the theatre before it was over. It was so bad, knowing the movie ended with a runway full of naked women was not enough to keep me in the theatre. It just made absolutely no sense, and the only remotely funny part was seeing people step in dog poop over and over. Oddly enough, my buddy and I left and went next door to see Street Fighter, which looked like amazing cinema in comparison.

Mortal Kombat 2 is the worst movie based on a video game I have ever seen. And I love the game. Too many characters to try and work into a story that had horrible dialogue and no real direction other than to kill time between fight scenes.

Of the ones listed to date, Point Break is definitely one of the worst I have seen. Keanu is so dry and boring that I laughed whenever I heard his lines. The other actors were caricatures for sure, but they try so hard to make his scenes work.

Surprising no one (so far) has mentioned the infamous Troll 2. Have never been able to watch more than 5 minutes of it at a time.

Most recent movie I hated was Prometheus. We've had a lengthy debate here about whether is was heady or just poorly thought out. I definitely fall into the latter camp. Just so many loose ends made it frustrating to watch and follow.

davekay1971
08-24-2015, 02:49 PM
Pret a Porter (Ready to Wear) - only movie I have ever left the theatre before it was over. It was so bad, knowing the movie ended with a runway full of naked women was not enough to keep me in the theatre. .

Dragged to see that one by my ex-wife. Terrible movie, but I can't actually blame the divorce on it. It may have contributed. The runway full of naked women at the end was horrifying in that they were actual models, circa whenever the movie was made, and their bodies were incredibly unhealthy. A total turnoff.

CameronBornAndBred
08-24-2015, 03:25 PM
Most recent movie I hated was Prometheus. We've had a lengthy debate here about whether is was heady or just poorly thought out. I definitely fall into the latter camp. Just so many loose ends made it frustrating to watch and follow.
Your comment made me think a bit. I totally understand hatred for Prometheus, but I wouldn't call it a bad movie. It was a pretty well done movie, but it obviously has lots of issues. (Which makes it fun for me because I love to watch it and laugh at my tv.)
A movie I would put in this camp is "Eyes Wide Shut". I love Kubrick, but I've seen that whole movie a grand sum of one time. It's well shot, well produced, and it lost me completely. No interest in ever seeing it again, even though it's not a "bad movie". (It's not even fun to yell at it's ludicrousness like Prometheus.)

Olympic Fan
08-24-2015, 03:33 PM
Your comment made me think a bit. I totally understand hatred for Prometheus, but I wouldn't call it a bad movie. It was a pretty well done movie, but it obviously has lots of issues. (Which makes it fun for me because I love to watch it and laugh at my tv.)
A movie I would put in this camp is "Eyes Wide Shut". I love Kubrick, but I've seen that whole movie a grand sum of one time. It's well shot, well produced, and it lost me completely. No interest in ever seeing it again, even though it's not a "bad movie". (It's not even fun to yell at it's ludicrousness like Prometheus.)

I completely agree about Prometheus. I think it's an interesting movie with a lot of problems -- including some laugh-outloud plot twists (not intentionally funny). It seriously could have used at least one more script re-write.

But I did enjoy it overall. Don't mind the loose ends too much, provided they are tied up in the sequel ... I see that it's tentatively sent for May, 2016. Not sure if that will qualify for our contest, but I know two things -- (1) I'll go see it; and (2) I won't be voting for it as one of the top 5 movies in our next summer poll.

Indigo Wolf
08-26-2015, 12:22 AM
How about the new Fantastic Four movie. That one was a waste of money. I should've just spend it on some buffalo wings and beer.

BD80
08-26-2015, 08:28 AM
How about the new Fantastic Four movie. That one was a waste of money. I should've just spend it on some buffalo wings and beer.

A franchise replaces Jessica Alba as a lead actress and gets WORSE?

Wow. Just wow.

davekay1971
08-26-2015, 08:57 AM
Shows how much writing and directing matter. Kate Mara, unlike Jessica Alba, is an actual actress (and is just as easy on the eyes). Unfortunately, one good ingredient still becomes part of a disgusting meal if the chef can't cook.

gurufrisbee
08-26-2015, 09:47 AM
Shows how much writing and directing matter. Kate Mara, unlike Jessica Alba, is an actual actress (and is just as easy on the eyes). Unfortunately, one good ingredient still becomes part of a disgusting meal if the chef can't cook.

There have been a lot of good movies slammed in this thread, because obviously everyone is going to have their own opinions. But comparing Mara to Alba is easily the one thing I have to disagree with more than anything in this thread. And no, not in acting abilities (I don't think Mara is that good, but Alba is terrible). But in terms of looks Mara is closer to being the Thing than she is to Alba.

BD80
08-26-2015, 03:05 PM
... But comparing Mara to Alba is easily the one thing I have to disagree with more than anything in this thread. ...in terms of looks Mara is closer to being the Thing than she is to Alba.

Lacking in subtlety and poetry perhaps, certainly not lacking in effectiveness.

Ironic that they cast an actress whose best (only) attribute is her appearance as "the invisible woman?"

davekay1971
08-26-2015, 05:08 PM
Ironic that they cast an actress whose best (only) attribute is her appearance as "the invisible woman?"

So they could have the juvenile tee-hee scene where she strips down on the bridge. Honestly, has any 12-14 year old boy ever NOT read F4 and pondered this situation? I guess the movie correctly identified their target audience, anyway.

left_hook_lacey
08-26-2015, 05:46 PM

In God We Tru$t
Space Jam
Best Defense
Rat Race
The Beverly Hillbillies

I actually liked (as in, didn't hate) three of these. Maybe it was my age at the time, or just where I was in my life at the time. I won't say which three though. Ha ha. :cool:

FerryFor50
08-26-2015, 09:43 PM
Show Girls. End of story.

moonpie23
08-26-2015, 11:10 PM
really wish i had Mullholland Drive 2hr back too