PDA

View Full Version : Injury Vigil for Jela Duncan

duke blue brewcrew
08-13-2015, 11:35 AM
It's about time the Duke Football felt the Vigil love! Steve Wiseman Tweeted an update this morning that's somewhat encouraging. Get well soon Jela, Duke Football fans are chomping at the bit for your return to the gridiron!

Stephen Wiseman @stevewisemanNC
Cutcliffe said Jela Duncan could come back this season. Surgery not needed at this time. Rest and rehab for now. No timetable for return.

OldPhiKap
08-13-2015, 11:36 AM
Rest up Jela!!!!

duke09hms
08-13-2015, 12:00 PM
If he sits out this year, does Jela have the opportunity to play next year?

Duvall
08-13-2015, 12:06 PM

Yes, because he's only played two years, so he still has a year left. He cannot seek an injury redshirt for this year to play the year after that, though.

duke09hms
08-13-2015, 12:21 PM
Yes, because he's only played two years, so he still has a year left. He cannot seek an injury redshirt for this year to play the year after that, though.

Ah that's good to know. So, he's used up 3 of his playing years (2 on the field, 1 on suspension), and has 1 playing year left, which can be either this year or next year. I suppose if he has to sit out this year, it wouldn't be the worst thing from his perspective to stay and play next year since it'd only be his 5th year at Duke.

Cut might have some tough decisions to make in deciding to bring Jela back this season depending on the severity/recovery from the injury. Soft tissue injuries aren't something you want to rush and mess with as susceptibility to repeat injuries is high.

Duvall
08-13-2015, 12:27 PM
Ah that's good to know. So, he's used up 3 of his playing years (2 on the field, 1 on suspension), and has 1 playing year left, which can be either this year or next year. I suppose if he has to sit out this year, it wouldn't be the worst thing from his perspective to stay and play next year since it'd only be his 5th year at Duke.

Cut might have some tough decisions to make in deciding to bring Jela back this season depending on the severity/recovery from the injury. Soft tissue injuries aren't something you want to rush and mess with as susceptibility to repeat injuries is high.

No, no. You get five years to play four seasons. Duncan has used two of his seasons and three of his years, so now he has this year and next year to play two seasons. There's no advantage to having him sit out this year if he's healed and ready to come back.

duke09hms
08-13-2015, 12:55 PM
No, no. You get five years to play four seasons. Duncan has used two of his seasons and three of his years, so now he has this year and next year to play two seasons. There's no advantage to having him sit out this year if he's healed and ready to come back.

I thought that a suspension year counted as a "playing year." Otherwise it would be toothless if it could be simply treated as a redshirt year, right?

Olympic Fan
08-13-2015, 01:05 PM
I thought that a suspension year counted as a "playing year." Otherwise it would be toothless if it could be simply treated as a redshirt year, right?

A suspension year is a redshirt year as far as the NCAA is concerned. Of course, if you've already taken a redshirt year, then the suspension year is a playing year.

Duncan has played two years and taken a suspension/redshirt year ... he has 2015 and 2016 left to play his final two years.

Now, if he misses this entire season with the injury, then comes back next summer and is hurt again and misses the 2016 season, then it's very possible that he could earn a sixth year. The NCAA grants hardships for players who lose two or more years with injuries. But losing one year with an injury and another with a redshirt is almost never rewarded with a hardship year.

So if Jela is able to return this year -- even for just a handful of games ... heck, even if just for the bowl game -- then you bring him back. No real advantage to holding him out late in the season, if he's ready to play.

duke blue brewcrew
08-13-2015, 07:38 PM

Thankfully, that may not have to be a concern. Some tentative early projections are saying 4-6 weeks-ish. If that proves to be true, he could be back before October. That would be huge. I try to keep telling myself "out indefinitely". I prefer pleasant surprises to bitter disappointments. A little optimism never hurt anyone though, so we'll wait and see.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-13-2015, 07:54 PM
Thankfully, that may not have to be a concern. Some tentative early projections are saying 4-6 weeks-ish. If that proves to be true, he could be back before October. That would be huge. I try to keep telling myself "out indefinitely". I prefer pleasant surprises to bitter disappointments. A little optimism never hurt anyone though, so we'll wait and see.
He'll be playing in early October, maybe even our game on September 26th. Do I have any inside medical information? No. I'm just being me! GTHc! LGD!

duke blue brewcrew
08-14-2015, 12:28 AM
He'll be playing in early October, maybe even our game on September 26th. Do I have any inside medical information? No. I'm just being me! GTHc! LGD!

I tried to spork you, not sure what happened. I think I fat fingered that one. I love your optomism, and fingers crossed you're right.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-14-2015, 07:07 AM
I tried to spork you, not sure what happened. I think I fat fingered that one. I love your optomism, and fingers crossed you're right.
I got your Zporkz! You were cut off in mid phrase, but I got the message! Devildeac's too! Thanks! LGD GTHc!