PDA

View Full Version : Terrible News for the Battier Family

dukeblue6661
08-12-2015, 07:23 PM
Shane posted that his brother has passed away. Thoughts and prayers to the whole family

https://twitter.com/ShaneBattier?s=09

SoCalDukeFan
08-12-2015, 07:25 PM
Very sad and tragic story. Shane's brother.

http://www.local12.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/Businessman-39-s-death-may-be-heroin-overdose-184616.shtml

SoCal

moonpie23
08-12-2015, 09:29 PM
tragic..
:(

subzero02
08-13-2015, 01:03 AM
Terrible news. Don't jump to conclusions too quickly; this begs for a thorough investigation. Jeremy was one of the first football players I can recall whose career was sidelined prematurely due to the effects of concussions.

moonpie23
08-13-2015, 08:04 AM
Terrible news. Don't jump to conclusions too quickly; this begs for a thorough investigation.

i agree, this just doesn't compute.....i don't want to speculate here, out of respect to our friends in the battier family, but this is odd...more facts are needed...

weezie
08-13-2015, 08:22 AM
What a tragedy! I am so sad for the family. Such a bright man.
Deepest condolences to all the Battiers.

duke blue brewcrew
08-13-2015, 10:51 AM
Such tragic news. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Battier family.

ricks68
08-15-2015, 03:46 AM
A few weeks ago my wife and I flew back to Texas for the funeral of her best friend's 25 year old son who died of a heroin overdose. Her friend has a very large extended family that I have grown very close to since being introduced to all of them about 30 years ago. She has known all of them, and been heavily involved in the family, since childhood. I am laying this background information out in hopes that the DBR family may understand maybe just a little better where I am coming from in relation to what the entire Battier family may be going through right now.

Like Shane's brother, my wife's best friend's son had what was considered a wonderful beginning to a successful life. At the young age of 25, he already was an accomplished chef who attended The Culinary Institute of America in New York under the tutelage of his mother's brother, a very well known chef and world renowned entrepreneur. He had already worked in restaurants in New York and Miami, and had received accolades for his culinary talents. His drug problems were not new, as he had already been to rehab twice and, had just days before, been released from his latest stint. He was taking a drug that was designed to help "treat" his heroin addiction, but had disastrous consequences if he used heroin while under the influence of the drug. Even after being recently released from the drug program and being warned about what might happen if he used heroin while taking his medication, he just couldn't resist using it again. He was found by his grandfather, whose home he was staying at for a few days during his transition back into the "real" world, in an upstairs bedroom slumped over a chair. I will not go into detail over the grisly scene his grandfather came upon, but I will say that it was extremely messy and frightening. Just imagine being the one to find your own grandchild dead in what looked like a violent crime scene.

The funeral was one of the worst life experiences I have ever had. The grieving I personally experienced, and was surrounded with at the funeral, was almost unbearable. A young vibrant life was gone. A most likely extraordinarily bright future gone, literally, overnight. The tears in my own eyes, and in the scores of eyes I witnessed at the funeral, made the whole scene look to me like a surrealistic painting.

So, please try to understand the disastrous consequences for the families and friends of those involved in drug use, in addition to the effect on the drug user. My heart goes out to the Battier family and hope that not another family has to ever go through this kind of experience. Do not use drugs, yourself. Intercede if you even suspect that a member of your family, or a friend, uses drugs. Please emphasize to others what most likely will happen with drug use, and do whatever you can to prevent this kind of tragedy from ever happening again.

Tearfully,

ricks