PDA

View Full Version : calipari Goes Off

BD80
08-11-2015, 10:18 PM
cool cal goes after another coach

"Yes I am the type of guy who can come in at the last minute and take any player I want from you. You can spend your whole life recruiting a kid and at the end of the day, if I want him, I’ll get him. If we want him, we’ll get him. Don’t ever get that confused. Be appreciative every time I don’t come in and get your guy. Don’t accuse me of cheating when I do.

... It’s just that I’m me, and we’re Kentucky and we can come in and get that kid whenever we want.”

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/main/gary-parrish-just-told-the-most-john-calipari-story-ever/

davekay1971
08-11-2015, 10:29 PM
The KY fans crowing about how AWESOME that Cal story is inspired me to reply this:

davekay1971 August 11, 2015 at 10:28 pm | Permalink | Reply
Except when we’re Duke and then, well, you’re Cal and Kentucky and that’s cute, but we’re K and Duke and we win again.

Olympic Fan
08-11-2015, 10:37 PM

"Yes I am the type of guy who can come in at the last minute and take any player I want from you. You can spend your whole life recruiting a kid and at the end of the day, if I want him, I’ll get him. If we want him, we’ll get him. Don’t ever get that confused. Be appreciative every time I don’t come in and get your guy. Don’t accuse me of cheating when I do.

... It’s just that I’m me, and we’re Kentucky and we can come in and get that kid whenever we want.”

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/main/gary-parrish-just-told-the-most-john-calipari-story-ever/

Shaun Kirk and NC State say hi!

gep
08-12-2015, 01:11 AM

Is the bolded/underlined a "sound-bite"??? or am I reading it wrong :confused:

JPtheGame
08-12-2015, 02:10 AM
On trick pony. Say it enough times and hope that it comes true. My five year does something similar when he wants to play on his tablet after dinner.

luburch
08-12-2015, 07:01 AM
Sounds like someone is starting to get a little worried about recruiting. First his proclamation that 2016 could be the best recruiting class ever and now this. What's next?

duke blue brewcrew
08-12-2015, 09:20 AM

Arrogance is such a turnoff. I sincerely hope the upcoming recruiting classes hear this and take it the same way I did. IMO...Give me humble, genuine, driven, top notch program that can prepare me for life and the NBA, over arrogance, sound byte driven, "Hey, look at me!" unless I'm screwing up, then it's someone else's fault mentality of K-Y. Crookapari is so clASSy.

Billy Dat
08-12-2015, 09:35 AM
Sounds like someone is starting to get a little worried about recruiting. First his proclamation that 2016 could be the best recruiting class ever and now this. What's next?

I feel the same way but, in fairness, this was Gary Parrish telling an old story, at least a few years old. Cal has consistently said, when asked about K, that the thing he admires most is his ability to stay on top for so long. It aint easy.

alteran
08-12-2015, 10:01 AM
Arrogance is such a turnoff.

That's the thing-- what it sounds like is defensiveness and insecurity, not actual arrogance. Arrogance is not caring what people think-- this blast is nothing if not a great big stack of caring what people think.

I don't know what he's so upset about. He'll be fine. It's a lull. If we've learned nothing else from Carolina, it's that it really is pretty much impossible to stop a determined flagship institution from cheating successfully over long periods of time.

duke blue brewcrew
08-12-2015, 10:20 AM
Shaun Kirk and NC State say hi!

So does Luke Kennard and the reigning National Champs, Duke University

flyingdutchdevil
08-12-2015, 10:52 AM
That's the thing-- what it sounds like is defensiveness and insecurity, not actual arrogance. Arrogance is not caring what people think-- this blast is nothing if not a great big stack of caring what people think.

I don't know what he's so upset about. He'll be fine. It's a lull. If we've learned nothing else from Carolina, it's that it really is pretty much impossible to stop a determined flagship institution from cheating successfully over long periods of time.

Are we ready to dismiss Kentucky after they have gone to 4 Final Fours in the last 5 years? I don't think Calipari is being insecure nor defensive - he's still a top 2 recruiter in the nation. The only difference is that he isn't the top recruiter anymore, as what Duke has been doing in the last 18 months is pretty remarkable.

Kentucky will always be relevant as long as Calipari is there, and I fully expect them to have another natty in the next 5 years. They are a very talented program with a very talented recruiter.

I'm just happy that we have a better recruiter with a better track record.

alteran
08-12-2015, 01:43 PM
Are we ready to dismiss Kentucky after they have gone to 4 Final Fours in the last 5 years? I don't think Calipari is being insecure nor defensive - he's still a top 2 recruiter in the nation. The only difference is that he isn't the top recruiter anymore, as what Duke has been doing in the last 18 months is pretty remarkable.

Just to be clear, that's not my point at all. I think we're in total agreement.

I don't understand why he's taking on this defensive tone when he's been so dominant in recruiting and Final Four attendance over the last 5+ years. The fact that this year is a little off seems like a blip, not the kind of thing that makes you run out in the press and declare how dominant you are, and how you're going to steal everyone's lunch money.

It reads to me as insecure, when he shouldn't be. JMHO.

Kfanarmy
08-12-2015, 01:54 PM
Just to be clear, that's not my point at all. I think we're in total agreement.

I don't understand why he's taking on this defensive tone when he's been so dominant in recruiting and Final Four attendance over the last 5+ years. The fact that this year is a little off seems like a blip, not the kind of thing that makes you run out in the press and declare how dominant you are, and how you're going to steal everyone's lunch money.

It reads to me as insecure, when he shouldn't be. JMHO.

Perhaps the insecurity lies in his knowledge of whether he's cheating or not...

jacone21
08-12-2015, 02:48 PM
So did Calipari even say it?

I mean... the guy makes my skin crawl, but "Parrish recounts the story, which he says he heard from five different sources..." makes it kinda hard to believe the direct quotes. So one guy heard from some other guys that someone said something at some time in the last three years. Really?

That's the kind of crap that happens to K from time to time. Someone says they heard that K said something about someone. Whatever. That's journalism in 2015.

Duvall
08-12-2015, 02:55 PM
So did Calipari even say it?

I mean... the guy makes my skin crawl, but "Parrish recounts the story, which he says he heard from five different sources..." makes it kinda hard to believe the direct quotes. So one guy heard from some other guys that someone said something at some time in the last three years. Really?

That's the kind of crap that happens to K from time to time. Someone says they heard that K said something about someone. Whatever. That's journalism in 2015.

Unclear what if anything was said, but there's no way Parrish would attribute a quote to Calipari unless Cal wanted him to do so.

El_Diablo
08-12-2015, 03:59 PM
Parrish told a version of this story before, but with names (apparently this happened in 2010, Mick Cronin was the other coach, and the recruit in question was Marquis Teague). So Parrish is basically regurgitating a five-year-old story that was relayed to him second- and third-hand. Kentucky's current recruiting has no bearing on it, to the extent it even happened.

TruBlu
08-12-2015, 05:51 PM
Perhaps we should change the name of this thread to something more appropriate and true.

Like: "Calipari is off"

Henderson
08-12-2015, 07:20 PM
As a young Alvie Singer said in Annie Hall, "What an arsehole."

DukieTiger
08-13-2015, 02:48 PM
Perhaps we should change the name of this thread to something more appropriate and true.

Like: "I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. is off"

Agree about needing something more appropriate and true.

DukieInKansas
08-13-2015, 02:48 PM
Why should we care?

Mike Corey
08-13-2015, 02:57 PM
Why should we care?

It's the offseason. :)

Indoor66
08-13-2015, 04:48 PM
Why should we care?

Bingo. You win the prize. Cali is irrelevant.

Blue in the Face
08-13-2015, 04:49 PM
I don't care for Calipari, but I don't see anything particularly wrong in his alleged comments to the opposing coach. He won a recruit someone else was going for, and got accused of cheating. That's a pretty bitter and sleazy charge to throw around. Obviously Cal has a rep, and many assume that the actual violations he's been nailed for are just the tip of the iceberg, but to flatly accuse him of it, absent any evidence, is something that Cal could pretty reasonably want to respond to. And all he said in response was that he can get the recruits he wants, regardless of how much effort this guy has put in to try and get those same recruits. In an in your face manner, which again, I don't think is unreasonable when you've been accused of cheating. Would Coach K do that? Of course not, that's not his style, at all, which is one thing many of us respect about him. (Though he also wouldn't draw that complaint out of the other coach to begin with, which is a further credit to him). But I don't think it's a big deal to react that way to what I view as a vile accusation.

Duvall
08-13-2015, 07:15 PM
I don't care for Calipari, but I don't see anything particularly wrong in his alleged comments to the opposing coach. He won a recruit someone else was going for, and got accused of cheating. That's a pretty bitter and sleazy charge to throw around. Obviously Cal has a rep, and many assume that the actual violations he's been nailed for are just the tip of the iceberg, but to flatly accuse him of it, absent any evidence, is something that Cal could pretty reasonably want to respond to. And all he said in response was that he can get the recruits he wants, regardless of how much effort this guy has put in to try and get those same recruits. In an in your face manner, which again, I don't think is unreasonable when you've been accused of cheating. Would Coach K do that? Of course not, that's not his style, at all, which is one thing many of us respect about him. (Though he also wouldn't draw that complaint out of the other coach to begin with, which is a further credit to him). But I don't think it's a big deal to react that way to what I view as a vile accusation.

I don't really think it says much about Calipari if he said these things. It's awfully peculiar that he felt the need to make sure everyone knew that he said these things, though.

Billy Dat
08-14-2015, 10:43 AM
Kornheiser calls Cal "Sony Corleone"

http://zagsblog.com/articles/tony-kornheiser-calls-john-calipari-a-gangster-and-sonny-corleone/