PDA

View Full Version : Spurrier wants to play Duke

Dev11
08-06-2015, 09:34 AM
Link: http://www.heraldsun.com/news/blog/x110784314/Duke-South-Carolina-talk-football-game

The good stuff:

South Carolina and Duke officials have discussed playing a game, perhaps at a neutral site such as Charlotte or Atlanta, in either 2017 or 2018. According to sources with knowledge of the talks, the discussions are in the preliminary stages and all that has been determined so far is that a high level of interest exists on both sides.

On a Wednesday conference call with reporters aimed at promoting South Carolina’s Sept. 3 game with North Carolina in the Belk College Football Kickoff Game at Charlotte’s Bank of America Stadium, Spurrier was asked if he liked playing UNC on a regular basis.

The 70-year-old coach used the question to instead promote the Gamecocks and Blue Devils getting together.

“I heard there was some interest in maybe playing Duke,” Spurrier said. “Duke is a top-notch program now as we know. I love Duke University. I owe a lot to Duke, and I heard there were some conversations we might play them. If that would happen and it would be good for Duke also, I would like to do that.”

I'm in, especially if it means we get more Spurrier quotes pumping up Duke and trashing UNC.

devildeac
08-06-2015, 10:14 AM
Link: http://www.heraldsun.com/news/blog/x110784314/Duke-South-Carolina-talk-football-game

The good stuff:

I'm in, especially if it means we get more Spurrier quotes pumping up Duke and trashing UNC.

Sign me up, too. Home and away, neutral sites or put 'em in an old tobacco or corn field and let 'em kick it off.

duke blue brewcrew
08-06-2015, 10:46 AM
What an awesome high-profile, non-conference opportunity that would really boost Duke's strength of schedule against a beloved member of the Duke Football family. Also, I loved that he completely dissed the UNC-Cheaters in the process. Spurrier is doubly motivated to beat those guys. He has Duke blood in his veins, and I'm sure he's tired of hearing that he's the head coach at "the other Carolina" school.

BigWayne
08-06-2015, 11:14 AM
Duke already has a full schedule for 2017 and the only slot open for 2018 is the spot usually reserved for an FCS opponent. Upgrading the FCS slot to an SEC opponent would be pretty ambitious. Amazingly, SC has no non conference games scheduled yet for 2017 or 2018 except Clemson.