PDA

View Full Version : Sharing in some good news

Mike Corey
08-06-2015, 12:59 AM
I've been reading or posting this website longer than I'd care to admit, probably dating back to the late 1990s as a reader, and the early 2000s as a poster. I have shared with this community the good news of graduations and graduation speeches, partaken in the communal jubilation with championships and the relative agony of excruciating losses, and grieved the losses of members of our collective family and the loss of my father, as well.

I therefore feel compelled, and tremendously proud and grateful, to share that this weekend, I will be married to the most wonderful woman I've had the good fortune of meeting. Her name is Lori, which means her name will be nearly as singsongy and hilarious as Julia Goolia. :)I knew, on our first date, that she might be a good fit. We were introduced under the ruse that she was interested in law school, and that I might be able to talk her out of such a foolish choice. Upon that first encounter, we discussed being a lawyer for about five minutes, and everything else under the sun for the next three hours. This chatter included, of course, the revelation that her brother was--inexplicably--a huge Duke basketball fan. It was a very promising start.

I hope for another very promising start this weekend, as she and I embark into marriage.

An agenda I do not have, but am so darn excited, and wanting to shout from the rooftops so that my loved ones near and far, here and in the afterlife can hear: At long last, I've found someone patient and forgiving enough to start a life with me.

Have a wonderful week and weekend, everyone, and please forgive my selfish indulgence with this post.

gurufrisbee
08-06-2015, 01:25 AM
Congratulations and thanks for sharing such wonderful news!

BD80
08-06-2015, 03:18 AM
Here's to your first child - Rory!

DukieInKansas
08-06-2015, 06:21 AM
Congratulations! Best wishes for a wonderful future together.

OldPhiKap
08-06-2015, 06:31 AM

Or Tori.

Congratulations, Mike!!!

devildeac
08-06-2015, 06:56 AM
This is awesome and tremendously exciting, Mike. Thanks for sharing with the community. I already knew this from some communications Mike and I exchanged last month when I "invited" our son to visit him this fall and he graciously consented and agreed to buy him an adult beverage. In exchange, I promised Mike that his first beer was on my tab when he brought his new bride down to a tailgate this fall. I'm working this weekend so no imbibing for me but I will hoist a glass of iced tea in your, excuse me, y'alls honor on Saturday, to be followed by a hand-crafted ale next weekend as a delayed toast to many, many happy decades of marital bliss.

luburch
08-06-2015, 07:08 AM
Congratulations!

duke74
08-06-2015, 08:03 AM
Mazel tov! Wish you and your bride many years of happiness, joy and love.

Indoor66
08-06-2015, 08:24 AM
Congratulations and wishes for much happiness.

Reilly
08-06-2015, 09:42 AM

Or Tori ...

I thought the baby was to be named after Uncle Morrie?

weezie
08-06-2015, 10:17 AM
Blessings upon your union.
What a delight!

Billy Dat
08-06-2015, 10:19 AM
May one of your children's favorite albums be Bowie's "Hunky Dory".

If you are lucky enough to be surrounded by family and friends and free from family drama (which inevitably boils over at such gatherings if there is a history of such behavior), one's own wedding is amazing.

I can honestly say that my wedding day was the happiest day of my life, and that includes the birth of my kids. I think the births had too much stress associated where the wedding was just all fun and joy. You won’t believe how emotional it is, and I am not talking about the idea that you are embarking on this marriage and all. Naturally, that is emotional, but you’ve been thinking about that already. What totally blindsided me was the outpouring of gratitude from everyone at the wedding. You have basically collected all the most important people in your life, and all day long they are embracing you and telling you how happy they are for you and how much they care about you.

I hope your wedding feels the same way. Best of luck to you both!

-jk
08-06-2015, 11:13 AM
Congrats! And best wishes to the lovely bride!

-jk

alteran
08-06-2015, 11:24 AM

Or Dori!

Congrats.

Jeffrey
08-06-2015, 12:01 PM
May God bless and keep you'll always
May your wishes all come true
May you'll always do for others
And let others do for you
May you'll build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you'll stay forever young

rasputin
08-06-2015, 12:04 PM
Or Dori!

Congrats.

What a story!

sue71, esq
08-06-2015, 02:28 PM
Congratulations!

Tom B.
08-06-2015, 03:09 PM
Or Tori.

Or Allegory....or Montessori....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqJ5gKZNkuY

On a serious note, congratulations and best wishes to you and your wife-to-be. Wishing you many happy years together.

moonpie23
08-06-2015, 05:47 PM
awesome.....congrats

Bob Green
08-06-2015, 05:56 PM
Congratulations!!!

fidel
08-06-2015, 07:58 PM
Congrats, Mike!

Tommac
08-06-2015, 08:01 PM
Congratulations Mike!!! Happy and prosperous years to follow!!!

sagegrouse
08-06-2015, 10:51 PM
Great news, Mike and Lori! Congratulations and much happiness.

ricks68
08-07-2015, 01:21 AM
Super congratulations to you and Lori. When you come to visit Asheville, please drop by our brewhouse for beer on the house.💖👍😊

ricks

roywhite
08-07-2015, 08:05 AM
Hey, Mike, you're on a roll! tOSU Football national champs, Duke Basketball national champs, and now this wonderful news.

All the best to you and your bride.

Channing
08-07-2015, 08:33 AM
...so...were you able to talk her out of going to law school?

Mazal Tov.

sagegrouse
08-07-2015, 08:56 AM
I dunno why this thread isn't on the main Board. This is big news for DBR fans.

Congratulations again,

Sage

devildeac
08-07-2015, 09:22 AM
I dunno why this thread isn't on the main Board. This is big news for DBR fans.

Congratulations again,

Sage

Nobody's recruiting Mike.
He'll be playing 24/7/365.
He's not declaring early/getting drafted.
He went to class and got a legitimate degree.
He's not in trouble with the local/state authorities.

Did I miss anything?;)

(All in jest, of course. Heck, I'd make it a sticky!!!:p)

shereec
08-07-2015, 10:10 AM
Wishing you both much happiness!

BD80
08-07-2015, 11:22 AM
Nobody's recruiting Mike.
He'll be playing 24/7/365.
He's not declaring early/getting drafted.
He went to class and got a legitimate degree.
He's not in trouble with the local/state authorities.

Did I miss anything?;)

(All in jest, of course. Heck, I'd make it a sticky!!!:p)

No discussion of positions or minutes ;)

TampaDuke
08-07-2015, 01:35 PM
Congratulations Mike and Lori!

Bostondevil
08-07-2015, 02:57 PM
Here's to good weather, great memories, and a happy life together!

Jim3k
08-13-2015, 12:24 AM
Just saw this. Terrific!

devildeac
08-13-2015, 07:00 AM
Sheesh. Married 5 days already and no reports. :o

weezie
08-13-2015, 08:30 AM
Yeah, it's like Mike just forgot about all of us!
And where's my cake? :cool:

DukieInKansas
08-13-2015, 10:30 AM
Yeah, it's like Mike just forgot about all of us!
And where's my cake? :cool:

And the champagne!

More important - we want pictures! Just want proof that the groom was handsome and the bride was beautiful.

Mike Corey
08-13-2015, 11:49 AM
Ahhhh, thanks so much, everyone. Can't tell you how much reading through these messages tugged at my heartstrings. Thank you so darn much.

I am elated to tell you that we were fortunate, and that after the rainiest summer in Columbus I can remember, we had a weekend with perfect weather, and that everything went off without a hitch. We did our best to step back at every chance we had to soak it in and to cherish every friend and loved one there. I'm a puddle of love still, and what can I tell you but that it was just 48 hours of goodness and that I got to marry my best friend along the way. If you haven't had such fortune already, I wish it for each of you.

Jeffrey
08-13-2015, 11:57 AM
Your pics are awesome. The love, joy, and happiness are great to see. Thanks for sharing!

BD80
08-13-2015, 12:14 PM
Ahhhh, thanks so much, everyone. Can't tell you how much reading through these messages tugged at my heartstrings. Thank you so darn much.

I am elated to tell you that we were fortunate, and that after the rainiest summer in Columbus I can remember, we had a weekend with perfect weather, and that everything went off without a hitch. We did our best to step back at every chance we had to soak it in and to cherish every friend and loved one there. I'm a puddle of love still, and what can I tell you but that it was just 48 hours of goodness and that I got to marry my best friend along the way. If you haven't had such fortune already, I wish it for each of you.

Jimmy Fallon was in your wedding party?

devildeac
08-13-2015, 12:16 PM

A sincere thank you for sharing your thoughts and photos with us from your very, very special day. I hope there are many, many decades of wonderful times for you and your lovely bride.

mph
08-13-2015, 12:21 PM
Big congratulations Mike!

DukieInKansas
08-13-2015, 01:25 PM
Thank you for sharing the pictures. Indeed, the bride was beautiful and the groom handsome. The love is evident in both pictures. I'm glad the weekend was wonderful.

However, I think there was one hitch during the weekend. (The two of you did get hitched, didn't you? :D)

weezie
08-13-2015, 04:07 PM
Looks like Mike sure married up!

Just joshing, beautiful couple.

Native
08-18-2015, 07:58 PM
Congrats, Mike!

Mike Corey
08-19-2015, 10:15 PM
Looks like Mike sure married up!

Just joshing, beautiful couple.

I definitely did, no joshing necessary. :)

OldPhiKap
08-19-2015, 10:26 PM
I definitely did, no joshing necessary. :)

As we say in SEC Country, you out-punted your coverage.

Beautiful bride. Big congrats, look forward to meeting both of you at the next bowl game. (Taking your bride for a nice NYE trip is a great idea, just sayin').

Mike Corey
08-20-2015, 02:33 PM
As we say in SEC Country, you out-punted your coverage.

Beautiful bride. Big congrats, look forward to meeting both of you at the next bowl game. (Taking your bride for a nice NYE trip is a great idea, just sayin').

It's only slightly different in the Midwest--I've been reminded many times that I "outkicked" my coverage. Fortunately, Lori's bad taste in a spouse isn't consistent with her good taste in teams, as she's become a Duke fan over the past 3.5 years.

As such, that is a great idea. She has a hard time getting into OSU football, but she was cheering right there with me when Jamison Crowder caught the game-winning touchdown against UNC, and she hasn't let go of her affinity since.

We're planning on attending the Duke-Pitt game this November; she's experienced Cameron, but not Wally Wade. Looking forward to meeting as many of you wonderful people as possible then and hopefully at this bowl game, too.