PDA

View Full Version : Duke football notes, 08/05/15

jimsumner
08-05-2015, 02:35 PM
Some notes from Duke media day today.

Some house-keeping first. Media availability will float in preseason before moving back to regular Tuesdays after the Tulane game.

Speaking of Tulane, Duke will move more practices to evenings in order to acclimate to the humidity in a September, New Orleans evening.

Duke wants to play lots of people in the first half at Tulane but needs back-ups to prove they belong on the field.

Alls and Douglas? They remain on indefinite suspension. Cut expects them to play this season but the burden is on them to demonstrate their commitment to Duke football.

Shaq Powell is back on campus. Cut says the "return to normalcy" is good for Powell following the death of Powell's young brother over the summer. Says Powell is working hard to get over it.

Some minor injuries not already reported. OL Zach Harmon is recovering from off-season knee surgery and is almost all the way back. DT Edgar Cerernord is sitting out with a hamstring injury Cut calls a "tweak. We want to keep it there."

Dominic McDonald has moved from LB to the hybrid DE/LB position currently occupied by Kyler Brown.

Cut says this group of linebackers is "the most athletic group we've ever had." Cut praised the mobility of Duke's DL but conceded that Duke was undersized and needed to prove it could stop run-oriented teams between the tackles.

Most competitive positions? Wide receiver-"a deep group." Offensive line, especially back-ups. Defensive line; "Wray has solidified himself." Duke wants to play lots of DL.

Punt returner also up for grabs. Teammates have praised in-coming freshman T.J. Rahming but Cut wants "to see him get hit. He better be able to catch it." Cut wants his punt returner to be like a good center fielder, able to run down anything. He does not want to see the ball hit the ground. Max McCaffrey, Johnell Barnes, Ryan Smith and KOR DeVon Edwards are also in the mix.

Duke will move RB Shaun Wilson around on offense, especially to the slot. Duke wants to find ways to get two of Powell, Duncan and Wilson on the field at the same time. Duke also will run double-tight end sets, four wide-receiver sets. Versatility is the buzzword.

As it is on defense. The hybrid DE/LB (Devil) spot a prime example. Kyler Brown says he will not be in a 3-point stance and that standing up gives him a better angle to survey the field and make a quick assessment.

Braxton Deaver says he's 100 percent. Money quote? "I didn't come back to be scared. I didn't come back to be apprehensive."

The guys who I continually hear are ready to make the jump from "who" to "I always knew he'd be a stud" are tight end Erich Schneider, wide receiver Chris Taylor and defensive tackle Mike Ramsay.

Brown on Ramsay "He's definitely been making steps over the summer, getting quicker, getting stronger. He's one of the strongest guys on the team."

Deaver on Schneider. "He's become more physical, more confident. He just needed to know he could do it. Once he figured it out . . . he knew that he could play at this level."

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-05-2015, 02:59 PM
This report offers reason to be positive and optimistic as camp begins.:cool:

devildeac
08-05-2015, 03:01 PM
Best thread of the summer so far;). Thanks for the updates, Jim. Greatly anticipating Sept 3 already.

Bob Green
08-05-2015, 03:17 PM
Duke will move RB Shaun Wilson around on offense, especially to the slot. Duke wants to find ways to get two of Powell, Duncan and Wilson on the field at the same time. Duke also will run double-tight end sets, four wide-receiver sets. Versatility is the buzzword.

Excellent notes! Thank you very much for the update! The plan to move Shaun Wilson around is exciting. He is an explosive playmaker so he needs the ball in his hands.

Dev11
08-05-2015, 03:27 PM
Best thread of the summer so far;). Thanks for the updates, Jim. Greatly anticipating Sept 3 already.

Probably my favorite thread series, too. Less than a month now until kickoff.

Deaver's quotes are exciting. Along with those offensive backs, there should be a lot of fun sets. Maybe we don't see everything on September 3, but as Cut says, this team should be versatile.

OldPhiKap
08-05-2015, 04:09 PM
Woo hoo!! You know the season is on us when Jim starts giving his notes. These are all really super, and have been since the beginning. Jim, we all appreciate them.

29 days !!!!!!!!!!

AtlBluRew
08-05-2015, 04:35 PM
Great update!

Looking forward to football season!

Bob Green
08-05-2015, 06:25 PM
The press conference is available at GoDuke.com:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210251606&DB_OEM_ID=4200

It is an enjoyable 33 minutes.

Henderson
08-05-2015, 07:08 PM
Duke wants to play lots of people in the first half at Tulane but needs back-ups to prove they belong on the field.

Is Cut taking Tulane lightly? We beat them up last year, but Tulane was a freshman-dominant team last year at key positions, and those guys are sophomores now. They've got a running back who can play. Plus Tulane will be playing at home this year. The point spread right now is about 10.5 points. Treating the game like a preseason game or a practice whose primary purpose is player evaluation seems risky. If that's what Cut has in mind. This game strikes me as a "must win" game for the Duke season. Doesn't it make more sense to play the first string in the first half and (assuming a half-time lead) use the second half to see how the backups perform?

P.S. Thanks for the report.

Bob Green
08-05-2015, 07:14 PM
Is Cut taking Tulane lightly?

No!

You are misinterpreting the "Duke wants to play lots of people in the first half at Tulane..." statement. Coach Cutcliffe desires to play lots of people due to the humidity. In the press conference, Coach Cutcliffe talked about Ole Miss playing lots of players in a season opening game at Memphis. Ole Miss won the 4th quarter and the game due to being fresh. Additionally, Coach Cutcliffe praised Tulane's ability to run the football.

jimsumner
08-05-2015, 07:29 PM
No!

You are misinterpreting the "Duke wants to play lots of people in the first half at Tulane..." statement. Coach Cutcliffe desires to play lots of people due to the humidity. In the press conference, Coach Cutcliffe talked about Ole Miss playing lots of players in a season opening game at Memphis. Ole Miss won the 4th quarter and the game due to being fresh. Additionally, Coach Cutcliffe praised Tulane's ability to run the football.

Correct. His belief is the more people you play in the first half, the less likely you are to hit the wall down the stretch, especially in what promises to be a brutally humid environment. If he were taking Tulane lightly, he wouldn't worry about the stretch, because Duke would already have the game in hand.

brevity
08-05-2015, 08:53 PM
Speaking of Tulane, Duke will move more practices to evenings in order to acclimate to the humidity in a September, New Orleans evening.

Yeah, good luck with that. I suggest they also find an abandoned Durham parking lot full of potholes and ride the team bus around to simulate the New Orleans road experience.

Visiting fans should prepare by finding a local sauna and sitting in there for 2-3 hours with the lights dimmed.

Olympic Fan
08-06-2015, 12:38 AM
Yeah, good luck with that. I suggest they also find an abandoned Durham parking lot full of potholes and ride the team bus around to simulate the New Orleans road experience.

Visiting fans should prepare by finding a local sauna and sitting in there for 2-3 hours with the lights dimmed.

Can't comment on the condition of New Orleans roads, but the humidity issue may be overblown.

The average September humidity in New Orleans is 78 percent ... the average in Raleigh (no listing for Durham) is 77 percent. In fact, the average daily high humidity in Raleigh in September is actually three percent HIGHER in Raleigh than New Orleans:

http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/US/humidity-city-september.php

BigWayne
08-06-2015, 03:30 AM
Can't comment on the condition of New Orleans roads, but the humidity issue may be overblown.

The average September humidity in New Orleans is 78 percent ... the average in Raleigh (no listing for Durham) is 77 percent. In fact, the average daily high humidity in Raleigh in September is actually three percent HIGHER in Raleigh than New Orleans:

Yes, that is correct. I checked 9/3/2014 and the closest weather station to Wally Wade and Tulane had virtually identical high temps and humidity of ~92F and 96% RH. Either one would be miserable to be in full pads running around. The only weather upside for the game this year is the very late start of 8:30PM local time. Temp should have dropped to the low 80s by then.

OldPhiKap
08-06-2015, 06:24 AM
Yes, that is correct. I checked 9/3/2014 and the closest weather station to Wally Wade and Tulane had virtually identical high temps and humidity of ~92F and 96% RH. Either one would be miserable to be in full pads running around. The only weather upside for the game this year is the very late start of 8:30PM local time. Temp should have dropped to the low 80s by then.

Cut said that the sun burns off some of the humidity, so in the early evening the humidity gets worse. Hence, more evening practices and planning to run a lot of folks in there during the first half.

budwom
08-06-2015, 08:38 AM
Just a thought that some people need to understand how humidity works. 90% relative humidity at 90 degrees is different from 90% relative humidity at 80%... maybe Duke needs a
meteorology program?

devildeac
08-06-2015, 08:45 AM
Just a thought that some people need to understand how humidity works. 90% relative humidity at 90 degrees is different from 90% relative humidity at 80%... maybe Duke needs a
meteorology program?

90% relative humidity at 80%?:confused::confused:

For those wishing to verify the claims of our Vermontian poster, here ya go:

http://www.dpcalc.org/

OldPhiKap
08-06-2015, 08:53 AM
meteorology program?

Nah. If Cut says it, I believe it. ;->

duke blue brewcrew
08-06-2015, 09:02 AM

Alls and Douglas? They remain on indefinite suspension. Cut expects them to play this season but the burden is on them to demonstrate their commitment to Duke football.

Shaq Powell is back on campus. Cut says the "return to normalcy" is good for Powell following the death of Powell's young brother over the summer. Says Powell is working hard to get over it.

Some minor injuries not already reported. OL Zach Harmon is recovering from off-season knee surgery and is almost all the way back. DT Edgar Cerernord is sitting out with a hamstring injury Cut calls a "tweak. We want to keep it there."

Dominic McDonald has moved from LB to the hybrid DE/LB position currently occupied by Kyler Brown.

Cut says this group of linebackers is "the most athletic group we've ever had." Cut praised the mobility of Duke's DL but conceded that Duke was undersized and needed to prove it could stop run-oriented teams between the tackles.

Most competitive positions? Wide receiver-"a deep group." Offensive line, especially back-ups. Defensive line; "Wray has solidified himself." Duke wants to play lots of DL.

Punt returner also up for grabs. Teammates have praised in-coming freshman T.J. Rahming but Cut wants "to see him get hit. He better be able to catch it." Cut wants his punt returner to be like a good center fielder, able to run down anything. He does not want to see the ball hit the ground. Max McCaffrey, Johnell Barnes, Ryan Smith and KOR DeVon Edwards are also in the mix.

As it is on defense. The hybrid DE/LB (Devil) spot a prime example. Kyler Brown says he will not be in a 3-point stance and that standing up gives him a better angle to survey the field and make a quick assessment.

Braxton Deaver says he's 100 percent. Money quote? "I didn't come back to be scared. I didn't come back to be apprehensive."

The guys who I continually hear are ready to make the jump from "who" to "I always knew he'd be a stud" are tight end Erich Schneider, wide receiver Chris Taylor and defensive tackle Mike Ramsay.

Brown on Ramsay "He's definitely been making steps over the summer, getting quicker, getting stronger. He's one of the strongest guys on the team."

Deaver on Schneider. "He's become more physical, more confident. He just needed to know he could do it. Once he figured it out . . . he knew that he could play at this level."

First and foremost, thank you Jim for this awesome first update of the season! I was smiling from ear to ear while reading it. Lot's of great nuggets. My heart goes out to Shaq, I can't begin to imagine what he and his family have been through this summer. The Alls and Douglas update was great timing as well, as you know Jim, we were just talking about this. I love that our depth at certain positions are coming into focus, esp at the Devil, DT and WR spots. The blurbs on Wray, Ramsay and Taylor really made me smile! I can't wait to see how the Punt Returner role shakes out. Is Rahming the odds on favorite at this point? Where does McDonald fit into the depth chart behind Kyler?

brevity
08-06-2015, 10:05 AM

Standard meteorological measures leave out the little-known desperation index, a formula that factors the temperature, humidity, and the feeling that "I can't believe that my life has come to this." Louisiana has a high desperation index.

Cut said that the sun burns off some of the humidity, so in the early evening the humidity gets worse. Hence, more evening practices and planning to run a lot of folks in there during the first half.

...If Cut says it, I believe it. ;->

There's some truth to this. Coach Cut knows about football and humidity. He spent 6 seasons in Mississippi, the one state with a higher desperation index than Louisiana. He also had to deal with Bad Comedian Eli Manning (http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Eli-Manning-stars-as-Bad-Comedian-Eli-Manning-in-new-DirecTV-commercial/c81a0258-adb3-4fdf-b62e-00b75c56a32a). "Whaaaaaaaa?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvJiMiJcghA

P.S. Why does Bad Comedian Eli Manning look like Will Arnett?

OldPhiKap
08-06-2015, 10:36 AM
"Humidity built the snowman;
sunshine brought him down."

-- John Prine

Reilly
08-06-2015, 10:45 AM
"It's gettin hot in here
so take off all your clothes."

- Nelly

oldnavy
08-06-2015, 11:12 AM
"It's gettin hot in here
so take off all your clothes."

- Nelly

Stepped outside this am here on the Crystal Coast and I had to push my way through the air to get into my truck!!

We get a bit of a break from the humidity a bit sooner than NO does.... but I am not sure that we are that much better off in the first week of September than they are!

Thanks Jim for the notes.... I am getting anxious for the season to start. Bumped my season tics up to 4 now!! Let's go DUKE!!!!

Olympic Fan
08-06-2015, 11:25 AM
Just want to make my position on the humidity clear ...

I'm not saying it won't be miserable in New Orleans at kickoff time, just that it won't be a serious disadvantage for Duke -- that the humidity in Durham is very similar to New Orleans, so we should be able to prepare just as well as Tulane for the miserable conditions. I would hope that our depth would give us an edge.

As an aside, I can remember numerous times in the 1980s and 1990s, when Duke wasn't very good, when the Devils weren't very good, when we played Northern teams in Durham in September and they just melted in the heat. Here's hoping for hot,. muggy weather on Sept. 19th, when Northwestern visits Durham.

jimsumner
08-06-2015, 01:41 PM

I'm not saying it won't be miserable in New Orleans at kickoff time, just that it won't be a serious disadvantage for Duke -- that the humidity in Durham is very similar to New Orleans, so we should be able to prepare just as well as Tulane for the miserable conditions. I would hope that our depth would give us an edge.

As an aside, I can remember numerous times in the 1980s and 1990s, when Duke wasn't very good, when the Devils weren't very good, when we played Northern teams in Durham in September and they just melted in the heat. Here's hoping for hot,. muggy weather on Sept. 19th, when Northwestern visits Durham.

Yeah, those years when Duke wasn't very good and the Devils also weren't very good, those were the worst. :)

OldPhiKap
08-06-2015, 01:44 PM

Here we go, into PPB territory . . . .

budwom
08-06-2015, 03:46 PM

About the only Northern teams I can recall us playing (we played VERY few) and beating in the 1990s were Army and Rutgers, and we beat them not so much because of the heat, but because they just plain sucked.

jimsumner
08-06-2015, 04:31 PM
About the only Northern teams I can recall us playing (we played VERY few) and beating in the 1990s were Army and Rutgers, and we beat them not so much because of the heat, but because they just plain sucked.

Non-ACC northern teams defeated by Duke in Wade in the 1980s and 1990s.

1984 Duke 31 Indiana 24 (first game under permanent lights at WW).
1985 Duke 40 Northwestern 17
1985 Duke 34 Ohio 13
1986 Duke 22 Ohio 7
1987 Duke 41 Colgate 6 (Spurrier's first game at Duke)
1987 Duke 31 Northwestern 16
1989 Duke 41 Northwestern 31
1989 Duke 35 Army 29
1991 Duke 42 Rutgers 22
1991 Duke 42 Colgate 14
1993 Duke 42 Army 21
1994 Duke 43 Army 7
1995 Duke 24 Rutgers 14
1997 Duke 20 Army 17
1997 Duke 26 Navy 17

All in September or early October

Lots of 1-AA teams, some overmatched 1-A, certainly some heat-related advantage for Duke.

Bob Green
08-06-2015, 04:36 PM
In the 1980s, Duke played and beat Northwestern, Ohio, Indiana and Colgate in Wallace Wade.

Olympic Fan
08-06-2015, 04:50 PM
Non-ACC northern teams defeated by Duke in Wade in the 1980s and 1990s.

1984 Duke 31 Indiana 24 (first game under permanent lights at WW).
1985 Duke 40 Northwestern 17
1985 Duke 34 Ohio 13
1986 Duke 22 Ohio 7
1987 Duke 41 Colgate 6 (Spurrier's first game at Duke)
1987 Duke 31 Northwestern 16
1989 Duke 41 Northwestern 31
1989 Duke 35 Army 29
1991 Duke 42 Rutgers 22
1991 Duke 42 Colgate 14
1993 Duke 42 Army 21
1994 Duke 43 Army 7
1995 Duke 24 Rutgers 14
1997 Duke 20 Army 17
1997 Duke 26 Navy 17

All in September or early October

Lots of 1-AA teams, some overmatched 1-A, certainly some heat-related advantage for Duke.

Looking at the list, the two games that really stand out in my memory are the two Rutgers games ... I know Rutgers is not a power, but we played them four times between 1987 and 1995 -- losing both games on the road (the '87 game was played in an ice storm and the '93 game was played on a windy night in Giants' Stadium) and winning fairly easily the two games in Durham -- both sweltering days that I remember Rutgers melting in the heat. FWIW, both in 1991 and 1995, when Duke won in Wade, Rutgers finished with a better record than Duke, so maybe the heat did help.

BigWayne
08-06-2015, 06:52 PM
Standard meteorological measures leave out the little-known desperation index, a formula that factors the temperature, humidity, and the feeling that "I can't believe that my life has come to this." Louisiana has a high desperation index.

OK you got me. I googled "desperation index" and found out yet another weird thing that some group of people different than me find appealing.

brevity
08-06-2015, 07:30 PM
OK you got me. I googled "desperation index" and found out yet another weird thing that some group of people different than me find appealing.

Whoa, that was not intended, and I apologize. Lower down the results page, I see that the term "desperation index" can refer to employee downsizing in the corporate context, which I guess makes sense. But I had no idea that the first results would describe a kind of, um, dishonorable discharge.

It's an oppressive heat, but an "oppression index" carries a heavy social connotation that I didn't want to apply to weather. I thought "desperation index" was a safer way to say it. Maybe not.

Bob Green
08-08-2015, 05:52 PM
I'm looking forward to hearing reports on live punt returns in practice:

http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2015/08/08/wide-open-battle-fall-camp-fill-crowders-shoes-punt-returns#.VcZ5Mf_bKP8

“I don’t want to drop off in our punt return,” Duke head coach David Cutcliffe said at the start of fall camp Wednesday. “There’s going to be competition in our punt return—that’s one of our more important competitions that we talked about as a staff.”

...there is change coming in camp for those who want to step up and try their hand at replacing Crowder this season—the addition of live punt returns in the coming weeks.

“I don’t want to wonder or hope I know who’s best—I want them to win it on the field,” Cutcliffe said.

Candidates include Max McCaffrey, Ryan Smith, Johnell Barnes, DeVon Edwards and T.J. Rahming.

Bob Green
08-09-2015, 06:24 AM
ESPN ranks Jeremy Cash 73rd best college football player:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13297866/cfbrank-71-80-college-football-top-100-players-2015-season

After transferring from Ohio State early in his career, Cash has found a home at Duke, where he's blossomed into one of the most physical safeties in the country. In the past two seasons, Cash has racked up 232 tackles, including 20 for a loss, to go with six interceptions. Cash was a second-team All-American last year.

devilirium
08-09-2015, 01:38 PM
"Media availability will float in preseason before moving back to regular Tuesdays after the Tulane game".

It does seem that the N & O and Herald-Sun have reverted back to general coverage of the team (ie one practice report in five days), and this comment partially explains it. Thanks, Jim.

duke blue brewcrew
08-10-2015, 11:17 AM
I was just checking out the Wallace Wade Construction Cams and it appears the new synthetic turf that will surround the Blue Devils' new grass field is going in today. It's pretty cool to see that all come together.

Olympic Fan
08-10-2015, 11:42 AM
"Media availability will float in preseason before moving back to regular Tuesdays after the Tulane game".

It does seem that the N & O and Herald-Sun have reverted back to general coverage of the team (ie one practice report in five days), and this comment partially explains it. Thanks, Jim.

I think you are mis-interpreting what Jim was saying.

He was talking about the weekly press conferences with Cut and selected players. The first one was last Wednesday at the opening of practice. The next one will be the Sunday before the Tulane game (since it's a Thursday night game, Sunday is the special time). After that, the press conferences shift back to their traditional time -- Tuesday.

But there are other media availabilities -- especially in preseason. Several days a week, the last couple of periods of practice are open to the media ... then players are available and Cut usually talks to them.

My point is, the fact that coverage seems light is not explained by the Tuesday press conference coverage. Last week, for example, there was the press conference Wednesday, a post-practice availability Friday ... there is a post-practice availability today (Monday), then nothing until Friday. There is a post-practice availability Friday, then another after Saturday's scrimmage.

Avvocato
08-10-2015, 05:06 PM
Here is the ESPN preview of Duke in today's ACC Football Blog for your reading pleasure: http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/83868/acc-team-preview-duke-blue-devils.

duke blue brewcrew
08-11-2015, 09:13 AM
This is fun to see and hear. Coach Cut's energy at practice is awesome. I like hearing his insight and feedback to players. We are getting closer, thank goodness!

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?catid=65612&id=4269130

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-11-2015, 09:43 AM
Steve Wiseman of the Durham Herald writes about Shaquille Powell's return to school following his brother death in June.
http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/colleges/x929088145/Through-grief-Powell-ready-to-lead-Duke

jjasper0729
08-11-2015, 11:30 AM
Reports are that Jela Duncan is out indefinitely and Pierre is transitioning to RB

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 3m3 minutes ago
Unfortunate injury news for Duke: RB Jela Duncan out indefinitely with torn pectoral muscle.

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 3m3 minutes ago
Duncan was coming back from a year-long academic suspension. Tough break, to say the least

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 2m2 minutes ago
Backup RBs Joe Ajeigbe and Shuan Wilson are also sidelined from contact with lower body injuries

Laura Keeley ‏
And maybe the biggest news: 3rd string QB Nico Pierre is moving to RB. Was an ESPN top 300 recruit when he committed—now taking diff path

Steve Wiseman Blog (http://www.heraldsun.com/news/blog/x929088262/Injuries-hit-Duke-football)

duke blue brewcrew
08-11-2015, 11:39 AM
Jela Duncan is out indefinitely with a partial pectoral tear. Ajeigbe and Wilson are also dinged up with lower body injuries. Pierre is moving to RB. So the position Duke was deepest at, has now taken a HUGE hit.

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-running-backs-depth-takes-a-big-hit-in-preseason-camp-38674293

Bob Green
08-11-2015, 12:01 PM
Reports are that Jela Duncan is out indefinitely and Pierre is transitioning to RB

This is not good news. Our depth at running back is phenomenal so Pierre changing positions is worrisome. Wilson and Ajeigbe must be really dinged up.

Duncan being out indefinitely is really tough. I was expecting BIG results from him.

duke blue brewcrew
08-11-2015, 12:17 PM
This is not good news. Our depth at running back is phenomenal so Pierre changing positions is worrisome. Wilson and Ajeigbe must be really dinged up.

Duncan being out indefinitely is really tough. I was expecting BIG results from him.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but torn muscles typically = end of season...correct? Like you, I was expecting Duncan to come in chewing nails and punishing tacklers this season. If Ajeigbe can get healthy, I've been reading good things about him as a sleeper for the Duke RB stable. He's been setting the mark for the RB squad in the weight-room. Fingers crossed. As for Wilson, I wonder if the coaching staff still plans to use him all over, or if they will pull back on that now that depth has been impacted by injuries...thoughts?

budwom
08-11-2015, 12:21 PM
cursory review of pectoral muscle info says range of absence can be two weeks (mild sprain) to two months (major tear)...

Bob Green
08-11-2015, 12:25 PM
From the Steve Wiseman blog linked above:

On defense, starting cornerback Bryon Fields is sidelined with a leg injury. Sophomore Alonzo Saxton is the primary replacement for Fields with the first-team defense.

budwom
08-11-2015, 12:29 PM
at least the Duke info on Ajeigbe and Wilson is that the injuries are minor...

duke blue brewcrew
08-11-2015, 01:12 PM
cursory review of pectoral muscle info says range of absence can be two weeks (mild sprain) to two months (major tear)...

Two months would be a best case scenario in my book. If that's true, could Jela be back in time for the Army game possibly?

nyesq83
08-11-2015, 01:20 PM
[Insert Image of Lucy pulling football away from Charlie Brown]

Olympic Fan
08-11-2015, 01:44 PM
at least the Duke info on Ajeigbe and Wilson is that the injuries are minor...

That's the feedback I'm getting ... both Ajiege and Wilson should be back very soon ...

duke blue brewcrew
08-11-2015, 02:00 PM
There is a an interesting bright side to this, if that's possible. We all know Cut likes to get athletes on the field. Nico Pierre is certainly a gifted athlete. Pierre would add some versatility, and the potential for some offensive wrinkles coming out of the backfield. HB pass anyone?

Avvocato
08-11-2015, 02:12 PM
Well, the good part about depth (especially at running back) is that you can withstand injuries and still be effective (another reason to sit out Wilson and Ajeigbe during camp with minor injuries as a precaution). Getting extra touches to Wilson during the season won't be a bad thing either. Let's just not have too many of these.

On a related note, ESPN posted their top 15 running back units. Duke didn't make the list. It's for ESPN insiders. Here's the link: http://espn.go.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/13412937/phil-steele-top-15-college-running-back-units-2015.

For those that don't have access, here is the list:

1. Georgia Bulldogs
2. Ohio State Buckeyes
3. Oklahoma Sooners
4. Oregon Ducks
5. Arkansas Razorbacks
6. LSU Tigers
7. Alabama Crimson Tide
8. Florida State Seminoles
9. UCLA Bruins
10. Pittsburgh Panthers
11. Wisconsin Badgers
12. Toledo Rockets
13. USC Trojans
14. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
15. Marshall Thundering Herd

duke blue brewcrew
08-11-2015, 02:14 PM
Well, the good part about depth (especially at running back) is that you can withstand injuries and still be effective (another reason to sit out Wilson and Ajeigbe during camp with minor injuries as a precaution). Getting extra touches to Wilson during the season won't be a bad thing either. Let's just not have too many of these.

On a related note, ESPN posted their top 15 running back units. Duke didn't make the list. It's for ESPN insiders. Here's the link: http://espn.go.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/13412937/phil-steele-top-15-college-running-back-units-2015.

1. Georgia Bulldogs
2. Ohio State Buckeyes
3. Oklahoma Sooners
4. Oregon Ducks
5. Arkansas Razorbacks
6. LSU Tigers
7. Alabama Crimson Tide
9. UCLA Bruins
10. Pittsburgh Panthers
11. Wisconsin Badgers
12. Toledo Rockets
13. USC Trojans

NCSU could be on this list by next season, they have some young studs in the backfield

Acymetric
08-11-2015, 06:15 PM
There is a an interesting bright side to this, if that's possible. We all know Cut likes to get athletes on the field. Nico Pierre is certainly a gifted athlete. Pierre would add some versatility, and the potential for some offensive wrinkles coming out of the backfield. HB pass anyone?

It hasn't been clear to me from the actual sources I've read, is Nico switching to RB or are they just giving him some reps in light of the injuries to keep the offense running and try it out as a "just in case" if guys can't get healthy soon enough?

mattman91
08-11-2015, 06:27 PM

1. Georgia Bulldogs
2. Ohio State Buckeyes
3. Oklahoma Sooners
4. Oregon Ducks
5. Arkansas Razorbacks
6. LSU Tigers
7. Alabama Crimson Tide
9. UCLA Bruins
10. Pittsburgh Panthers
11. Wisconsin Badgers
12. Toledo Rockets
13. USC Trojans

Toledo? Really?

OldPhiKap
08-11-2015, 06:29 PM
Toledo? Really?

Year of the Mud Hens!

(Wrong thread?)

devildeac
08-11-2015, 06:31 PM
Toledo? Really?

I know there's a reason I've been saving this info/expression for a long, long time, so here goes:

Holy Toledo!

http://www.presspublications.com/61-maumee-bay-tourist-guide/3026-holy-toledo-how-did-it-all-begin--sp-1950053719

devildeac
08-11-2015, 06:33 PM
It hasn't been clear to me from the actual sources I've read, is Nico switching to RB or are they just giving him some reps in light of the injuries to keep the offense running and try it out as a "just in case" if guys can't get healthy soon enough?

Credit to Bob Green for this info he shared with me earlier today:

"While Duncan's injury is the main impetus moving Pierre to RB, according to xxxx xxxxxx at xxx, the move is also a result of Daniel Jones' performance at QB. Jones was scheduled to gray shirt this year, but picked up a full scholarship and moved onto the active roster as a result of the career ending injuries to Kameron Schroeder and Michael Mann."

And that's not just crazietalk:o .

Acymetric
08-11-2015, 06:55 PM
Credit to Bob Green for this info he shared with me earlier today:

"While Duncan's injury is the main impetus moving Pierre to RB, according to xxxx xxxxxx at xxx, the move is also a result of Daniel Jones' performance at QB. Jones was scheduled to gray shirt this year, but picked up a full scholarship and moved onto the active roster as a result of the career ending injuries to Kameron Schroeder and Michael Mann."

And that's not just crazietalk:o .

You know, the Steelers ran a pretty nifty play with Randle El some years back...

Bob Green
08-11-2015, 08:04 PM

From the Steve Wiseman article linked earlier in the thread:

As a result of Duncan’s injury, Cutcliffe is shifting redshirt freshman quarterback Nicodem Pierre to running back.

“I’m really proud of Nico and how he’s handled this situation,” Cutcliffe said. “With his unselfishness and commitment to this program, he is displaying the traits of the ultimate teammate. And I absolutely love it because it’s a great sign of the growth of our program when the young men take ownership of the organization and have the passion to contribute in any way possible.”

duke blue brewcrew
08-12-2015, 09:04 AM
You know, the Steelers ran a pretty nifty play with Randle El some years back...

I'm a die-hard Steelers fan and absolutely agree with you. I posted earlier in this discussion, "HB pass anyone"? Cut loves versatility and getting athletes on the field. I think we would ALL prefer Duncan were still in the lineup. However, in an effort to make lemonade, Pierre could be an interesting wrinkle in the offense coming out of the backfield.

duke blue brewcrew
08-12-2015, 09:46 AM
Some good sound bytes from multiple players discussing the first day in pads, the competitive nature of practices in full pads and guys amped up, but coming together as a team. Chris Taylor makes a couple of catches in the montage.

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?db_oem_id=4200&id=4270391&catid=13707

duke blue brewcrew
08-13-2015, 10:27 AM
I'm not excited that Duke lost Jela for an extended period of time. I am excited to see such a talented athlete as Nico Pierre get on the field and help the Blue Devils however he can. I think his versatility can be an asset, and I know Coach Cut and Coach Montgomery will figure out the best ways to use him!

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Nico-Pierre-talks-transition-from-QB-to-running-back-38713116

budwom
08-13-2015, 10:37 AM
we really need Sirk to stay healthy now...behind him there's only Boehme and two true (if talented) frosh.

duke blue brewcrew
08-13-2015, 10:46 AM
I'm not excited that Duke lost Jela for an extended period of time. I am excited to see such a talented athlete as Nico Pierre get on the field and help the Blue Devils however he can. I think his versatility can be an asset, and I know Coach Cut and Coach Montgomery will figure out the best ways to use him!

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Nico-Pierre-talks-transition-from-QB-to-running-back-38713116

Some great video of Nico at practice being interviewed about the transition, Shaq comments as well. I like what I hear so far! Also, Steve Wiseman tweeted some encouraging news this morning, that Jela will not need surgery according to Coach Cut. Rest and rehab will be the approach, and he could return to action this season.

http://bleacherreport.com/duke-football

devildeac
08-13-2015, 10:49 AM
Some great video of Nico at practice being interviewed about the transition, Shaq comments as well. I like what I hear so far! Also, Steve Wiseman tweeted some encouraging news this morning, that Jela will not need surgery according to Coach Cut. Rest and rehab will be the approach, and he could return to action this season.

http://bleacherreport.com/duke-football

We'll know football has really arrived at Duke when we start vigils for FB injuries...

(ducks, covers, runs...)

Avvocato
08-13-2015, 11:51 AM
I would imagine the toughest part of the transition for Nico will be blocking, especially learning who to pick up as a blocker (particularly on the blitz) and how to block. That will likely dictate how often he can get on the field.

duke blue brewcrew
08-13-2015, 11:58 AM
We'll know football has really arrived at Duke when we start vigils for FB injuries...

(ducks, covers, runs...)

once you said that, i absolutely had to do it!

BigWayne
08-13-2015, 05:15 PM
N&O article covering Cutcliffe's assessment of the RB situation. (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article30993381.html)

Just one healthy scholarship running back after Monday’s practice

Avvocato
08-13-2015, 05:26 PM
Not sure if this has been posted, but The Chronicle has been briefly looking at who they project to start at each position, including dark horse starters. They've done the offense and part of the defense. See the additional links at the top of the page.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/blogs/bluezone/posts/2015/08/13/duke-football-2015-position-preview-linebackers#.VcznVPlVhBc

Avvocato
08-13-2015, 05:40 PM
Sorry for the second post, but I just saw this article from a Georgia Tech blog previewing their game against Duke. Interesting to get their take on the game. Naturally, they pick Tech to win 49-24 in a revenge game they are calling it.

http://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/2015/8/13/9121991/georgia-tech-football-opponent-preview-duke

Here's another random article I found on Max McCaffrey, Duke chasing Stanford as a football/elite academic school, and Duke football in general:

https://www.todaysu.com/acc-today/duke-blue-devils/max-mccaffreys-surname-adds-duke-chasing-stanford-reputation/

devildeac
08-13-2015, 06:16 PM
N&O article covering Cutcliffe's assessment of the RB situation. (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article30993381.html)

Just one healthy scholarship running back after Monday’s practice

Nice quote:

"But Pierre is of the proper mindset, Cutcliffe said, as he is already gunning to beat out Powell for the starting running back spot."

duke blue brewcrew
08-14-2015, 09:00 AM
If you haven't seen this already, here you go...

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-Football-reveals-2015-Nike-Promo-Mach-Speed-Jerseys-38733851

Bob Green
08-15-2015, 09:30 AM
Here is an enjoyable article by Patrick Cacchio where he comments on the running backs situation and then previews special teams:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2015/08/football-friday-3-weeks-to-kickoff-special-teams-preview/

peloton
08-16-2015, 05:57 PM
I was going to post in the 'Football 2015' thread but I see that it apparently ran its course and was closed as a result. There are less than 3 weeks until Duke football is once again upon us. What does that entail? Not simply great football...no siree! We're talking great food (and maybe even a few adult beverages) courtesy of the various dedicated groups/fervent fans manning the tents and tailgating along Blue Devil Alley. I felt there's a need for a countdown thread to commemorate the start of the 2015 season. There are countless reasons to be excited about the upcoming season...we're breaking in a new starting quarterback (I have the utmost confidence in Thomas Sirk as our new starter as one David Cutcliffe has expressed full confidence in him...the man "knows a thing or two" about grooming someone for that position). Even with the recent injury to Jela Duncan, our running game should be a force to be reckoned with Shaq, Shaun, Joseph, and Nico all doing their part. That said, best of luck in regard to your recovery, Jela. Special teams should once again be a real strength, especially if someone steps up as a dynamic punt returner replacing Jamison.

Obviously there are many more reasons to be excited about the upcoming season (improvements to Wallace Wade, fall weather, etc.), but as a longtime Duke football fan who's seen some good football in the past as well as much subpar football, I state emphatically that the greatly improved football by itself is enough. The anticipation is building as we move closer to the televised kickoff in The Big Easy on Thurs, 9/3; if you can't be there in person be sure to tune in. It bears repeating..."Duke football?! Hell yes, it's Duke football!!!"

Bob Green
08-17-2015, 05:58 PM
Steve Wiseman tweet:

Stephen Wiseman ‏@stevewisemanNC · 2h2 hours ago  Durham, NC
Duke WR Anthony Nash was having a good camp, Montgomery said, before undisclosed injury. Deep routes and underneath.

I haven't run across any other reference to an injury to Nash. Perhaps some details will come out over the next few days.

jimsumner
08-17-2015, 06:42 PM
Steve Wiseman tweet:

I haven't run across any other reference to an injury to Nash. Perhaps some details will come out over the next few days.

Nash wasn't dressed out for Saturday's scrimmage. But he also wasn't in a cast, on crutches or otherwise showing signs of an injury. So, I suspect it's nothing serious.

Bob Green
08-18-2015, 05:13 AM
Nash wasn't dressed out for Saturday's scrimmage. But he also wasn't in a cast, on crutches or otherwise showing signs of an injury. So, I suspect it's nothing serious.

Thanks again, Jim. Your eyewitness reports are worth their weight in gold. There is a lot of talent on the roster at wide receiver with Nash being one of the guys who has the skills to be a legitimate deep threat. If something (I don't know what) were to click for him this season, his productivity could skyrocket. Being healthy is certainly a prerequisite. I like the combination of size and speed he brings onto the field.

duke blue brewcrew
08-19-2015, 10:12 AM
Thanks again, Jim. Your eyewitness reports are worth their weight in gold. There is a lot of talent on the roster at wide receiver with Nash being one of the guys who has the skills to be a legitimate deep threat. If something (I don't know what) were to click for him this season, his productivity could skyrocket. Being healthy is certainly a prerequisite. I like the combination of size and speed he brings onto the field.

Great point Bob. Speaking of, how has Trevon Lee been doing in Fall Camp? His name was getting thrown around quite a bit earlier in the summer. Jim and Bob, any insight?

jimsumner
08-19-2015, 11:00 AM
Great point Bob. Speaking of, how has Trevon Lee been doing in Fall Camp? His name was getting thrown around quite a bit earlier in the summer. Jim and Bob, any insight?

Lee either didn't play in Saturday's scrimmage or he didn't make any impression if he did play.

I think we have a clear top three at WR, McCaffrey, Barnes and Taylor. The competition is for PT after those three; Lee, Anthony Nash, Ryan Smith, Quay Chambers and true freshmen T.J. Rahming and Aaron Young are in the mix.

The wildcard is Terrence Alls, who had a great spring but is now suspended from game competition but is practicing. I would note that his future return has consistently been referenced as "when" rather than "if." He jumps into the rotation when he returns if he isn't held out too long.

I would also note that Lee is a redshirt freshman, so he's still in a learning curve. It is interesting that Lee was ranked higher than classmate Chris Taylor when both were in high school but Taylor was recognized as the better talent about five minutes after they arrived on campus. My understanding is that this more a reflection on Taylor being significantly under-rated rather than Lee being over-rated. Duke still expects Lee to be a major contributor. But Duke isn't going to play 10 receivers this season. So, competition should be fierce.

wcg
08-19-2015, 12:03 PM
The new field is being painted today! Looks great!

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=209805138

duke blue brewcrew
08-19-2015, 01:26 PM
Lee either didn't play in Saturday's scrimmage or he didn't make any impression if he did play.

I think we have a clear top three at WR, McCaffrey, Barnes and Taylor. The competition is for PT after those three; Lee, Anthony Nash, Ryan Smith, Quay Chambers and true freshmen T.J. Rahming and Aaron Young are in the mix.

The wildcard is Terrence Alls, who had a great spring but is now suspended from game competition but is practicing. I would note that his future return has consistently been referenced as "when" rather than "if." He jumps into the rotation when he returns if he isn't held out too long.

I would also note that Lee is a redshirt freshman, so he's still in a learning curve. It is interesting that Lee was ranked higher than classmate Chris Taylor when both were in high school but Taylor was recognized as the better talent about five minutes after they arrived on campus. My understanding is that this more a reflection on Taylor being significantly under-rated rather than Lee being over-rated. Duke still expects Lee to be a major contributor. But Duke isn't going to play 10 receivers this season. So, competition should be fierce.

Tip of the cap to you as always Jim, thanks for the feedback!

Bob Green
08-19-2015, 05:11 PM
Duke Grounds Crew tweeted this picture a few minutes ago:

BigWayne
08-19-2015, 08:38 PM
You can still get half price tickets ($30) to the UNC game. (https://www.livingsocial.com/events/1491618-ticket-to-a-university-of-north-carolina-football-game?afsrc=1&cvosrc=email.blast-us.digest_dailyus&dl=1&utm_campaign=digest_dailyus&utm_medium=email&utm_source=blast&city_id=331-durham-chapel-hill&id=1491618-ticket-to-a-university-of-north-carolina-football-game&msdc_id=45-raleigh)

You can pick which section and seat you want. Still a lot of seats available on the discount.

duke blue brewcrew
08-20-2015, 09:43 AM
Cash's 5th All American Team honor for this season and well deserved. The only thing that would make this any better is if they were all 1st teams. Phil Steele is the only one to have named Cash to a 1st Team AA. CBS Sports, Athlon, Sporting News and Lindy's have all named Jeremy to 2nd Team honors.

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-safety-Jeremy-Cash-earns-another-All-American-honor-38842385