PDA

View Full Version : NBA Moves - Non Duke Related

SoCalDukeFan
07-27-2015, 06:16 PM
The NBA salary cap rules lead to some strangeness.

Cavs traded rights to Rakeem Christmas to the Pacers for a future second round pick. Now he was the 36th player drafted this year, fairly high in the 2nd round, so you would think he was worth more than a future 2nd rounder.

But the Cavs needed the pick to get Portland to take Brendan Haywood off their hands. They added Mike Miller. And one other 2nd round pick. And got back a little cash. But the Cavs get big time trade exception dough, over $10 Million for Haywood. Portland will cut Haywood and Miller and keep the 2nd round picks for their trouble.

BTW it was first reported that the Cavs were getting the 2nd round picks. I guess even some experts did not understand a trade of two players and two draft picks for nothing.

SoCal

CDu
07-28-2015, 04:08 PM
Just to clarify: the move is relevant because it gives the Cavs a trade exception. Haywood's contract was completely non-guaranteed, so he was going to get waived (with no cap hit) by Aug 1 by somebody, whether it be the Cavs or someone else. They essentially traded two 2nd round picks for a trade exception, with the Blazers serving as the middle man. Just a sneaky byproduct of the collective bargaining agreement that allows teams with cap space to make trades with teams over the cap and allow the over-the-cap teams trading flexibility.

Now the Cavs have the ability to make a trade any time within the next calendar year in which they can take on an extra $10 million in salary - something they could not do previously because they were over the cap.

So if we're nearing the trade deadline and the Cavs are buyers, that's how they can be buyers.

superdave
07-28-2015, 04:50 PM
Just to clarify: the move is relevant because it gives the Cavs a trade exception. Haywood's contract was completely non-guaranteed, so he was going to get waived (with no cap hit) by Aug 1 by somebody, whether it be the Cavs or someone else. They essentially traded two 2nd round picks for a trade exception, with the Blazers serving as the middle man. Just a sneaky byproduct of the collective bargaining agreement that allows teams with cap space to make trades with teams over the cap and allow the over-the-cap teams trading flexibility.

Now the Cavs have the ability to make a trade any time within the next calendar year in which they can take on an extra $10 million in salary - something they could not do previously because they were over the cap.

So if we're nearing the trade deadline and the Cavs are buyers, that's how they can be buyers.

CDu - To clarify how this works, the Cavs could trade a $1 million salaried player plus their $10 million trade exception for a player making $11 million?

timmy c
07-28-2015, 05:36 PM
CDu - To clarify how this works, the Cavs could trade a $1 million salaried player plus their $10 million trade exception for a player making $11 million?

Almost right. The 2011 CBA requires teams over the cap to have the traded player salaries be within 125%. Based on your example the cavs could get any player making less than 13.75 million.
There are only 33 players making more than 13.75 mil next year. This will be a big deal at the trade deadline.

CDu
07-28-2015, 05:57 PM

Almost right. The 2011 CBA requires teams over the cap to have the traded player salaries be within 125%. Based on your example the cavs could get any player making less than 13.75 million.
There are only 33 players making more than 13.75 mil next year. This will be a big deal at the trade deadline.

Yup. This is correct. So a guy like Mozgov could net quite a high-dollar player in return. Or Dellavedova could get a pretty decent player.

It is possible that Cleveland doesn't use it. But if they do decide they need a boost, the return could be very valuable.

Pghdukie
07-28-2015, 06:33 PM
I was under the impression that Miller was very tight with Labron. He signed with the Heat,then with Cavs because of Lebron. Am I missing something?

CDu
07-28-2015, 06:35 PM
I was under the impression that Miller was very tight with Labron. He signed with the Heat,then with Cavs because of Lebron. Am I missing something?

I think LeBron realized that Miller's expiration date was long passed. He was more valuable as a trade exception than he was as a player. LeBron likes his boys, but it is about winning first. And Miller can't help him win anymore.

Devil77
07-28-2015, 08:56 PM

LBJ is ok with the trade. So is Miller, who wants to play more.