PDA

View Full Version : Cowherd Gone

moonpie23
07-27-2015, 07:54 AM
said something offensive (http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/13314040/colin-cowherd-no-longer-espn-air-comments-dominican-republic-players)

CDu
07-27-2015, 07:58 AM
said something offensive (http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/13314040/colin-cowherd-no-longer-espn-air-comments-dominican-republic-players)

No loss there. Also, not the first time he has said something offensive.

duke blue brewcrew
07-27-2015, 08:33 AM
No loss there. Also, not the first time he has said something offensive.

It's definitely not the first time he's said something offensive. As much as I would love to punch him in the face sometimes, I did enjoy his show. He lives to be the contrarian with strong but (in his mind) defensible view points. Sometimes, they led to some pretty interesting conversations.

luburch
07-27-2015, 08:41 AM

Wasn't he leaving the show within the week to move to Fox Sports 1 anyway? Otherwise I doubt ESPN boots him.

CDu
07-27-2015, 09:17 AM
Wasn't he leaving the show within the week to move to Fox Sports 1 anyway? Otherwise I doubt ESPN boots him.

The MLB Players' Association has had some pretty strong words about it (threatening to dissociate themselves from ESPN if they didn't do something). They are supposedly doing the same to Fox, so it will be interesting to see what Fox does (or if MLBPA cools off about it.

devilsadvocate85
07-27-2015, 09:19 AM
Seems like a great way to stir up attention in advance of a move that was not getting much play. Call me a cynic.

budwom
07-27-2015, 09:35 AM
Yeah, the fact he's paid a few million a year and knows SO little about many of the topics he gets into (prime example, college hoops) makes me
wonder why he evidently appeals to people. Many of his "theories" are just short of tinfoil hat material.

kAzE
07-27-2015, 11:04 AM
Another radio host bites the dust. Simmons, Van Pelt (ended his involvement on his radio show to do SportsCenter full time) and now Cowherd. I stopped listening to Cowherd's show years ago, and I won't deny the guy is talented, but sometimes, the facts that he used to back up his arguments were totally cherry picked to support what he was saying, and it was really annoying to listen to him sometimes. I REALLY hated when he talked over anyone who called in to the show, barely letting them get a single word in . . . and he pretty much never admits when he's wrong. I've never seen a fully grown human being who is supposed to be a professional act so blatantly immature. The only ESPN podcasts left on my phone now are PTI and the Ryen Russillo show (and I can't even listen to that half the time because I HATE Danny Kannell).

roywhite
07-27-2015, 11:08 AM
Seems like a great way to stir up attention in advance of a move that was not getting much play. Call me a cynic.

Yeah, the fact he's paid a few million a year and knows SO little about many of the topics he gets into (prime example, college hoops) makes me
wonder why he evidently appeals to people. Many of his "theories" are just short of tinfoil hat material.

Yeah, kind of a "salary cap" move, too, IMO.

Disney CEO Iger: ESPN could one day be sold direct (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/disney-ceo-iger-espn-could-122601621.html#)

Duvall
07-27-2015, 12:41 PM
The important thing is that Cowherd will soon be safely quarantined on Fox Sports 1, where he can't hurt anyone's eardrums anymore.

nmduke2001
07-27-2015, 12:45 PM
I know that I am in the minority, but I like Cowherd. I think his takes can be interesting. I remember after the Championship game, he was getting a lot of calls and tweets saying that Duke got all the calls and didn't deserve the win. His response was basically, "Duke beat Wisconsin at Wisconsin. Duke beat Wisconsin in Indy. Duke would have beaten Wisconsin by 15 in Cameron. Did you ever think that Duke was just the better team?"

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-27-2015, 12:47 PM

Also, seems very much like something CC would endorse. All his schticks about sports markets, "warm weather" teams in football, state taxes playing a role in where free agents land.... all of it smacks of "this is all so simple and boils down to understanding this one little thing that I am smart enough to have figured out, but I will let you in on my secret."

So condescending and patronizing.

Happy to see him go.

Dev11
07-27-2015, 12:47 PM
Another radio host bites the dust. Simmons, Van Pelt (ended his involvement on his radio show to do SportsCenter full time) and now Cowherd.

To be fair, Simmons wasn't a radio host and Van Pelt got a promotion (in my opinion, a deserved promotion). Simmons got too expensive and risky given his propensity to speak his mind. I expect Simmons to bring a lot more fans to HBO Sports than Cowherd to bring to Fox.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-27-2015, 12:57 PM
To be fair, Simmons wasn't a radio host and Van Pelt got a promotion (in my opinion, a deserved promotion). Simmons got too expensive and risky given his propensity to speak his mind. I expect Simmons to bring a lot more fans to HBO Sports than Cowherd to bring to Fox.

I expect to bring more to my next neighborhood potluck than CC will bring to Fox.

Duvall
07-27-2015, 01:03 PM
I know that I am in the minority, but I like Cowherd. I think his takes can be interesting. I remember after the Championship game, he was getting a lot of calls and tweets saying that Duke got all the calls and didn't deserve the win. His response was basically, "Duke beat Wisconsin at Wisconsin. Duke beat Wisconsin in Indy. Duke would have beaten Wisconsin by 15 in Cameron. Did you ever think that Duke was just the better team?"

But that's the same kind of oversimplified mindless contrarian take that Cowherd offered all the time - this time it just happened to favor Duke.

budwom
07-27-2015, 01:11 PM

Van Pelt had a whine-a-thon in which he indicated he was extremely displeased with the support his show was getting....not sure I would really consider what he got as a promotion, maybe more of a placation.

Clay Feet POF
07-27-2015, 01:19 PM

I found him interesting too. I'm also not a big fan of the MBL Players Association.

luburch
07-27-2015, 01:23 PM
Van Pelt had a whine-a-thon in which he indicated he was extremely displeased with the support his show was getting....not sure I would really consider what he got as a promotion, maybe more of a placation.

I used to like SVP, but after following him on twitter and paying a bit more attention to him, he's largely, to put it politely, rude.

kAzE
07-27-2015, 01:48 PM

Yep, I'm aware of all of this, and I agree. Simmons did have a really great podcast (which I'm counting as radio, because more and more people are consuming radio shows as podcasts anyways), the B.S. Report which I was sad to see end its long and successful run. Simmons was a hit-or-miss columnist and an atrocious TV personality for ESPN, but one thing he did really well was the B.S. Report, and I'll be listening for sure when he starts his next podcast.

Van Pelt, in my opinion is the greatest Sportscenter anchor of his generation, and perhaps of all time, so this move is not a surprise. But for me, it stinks, because I don't stay up late to watch Sportscenter. I loved his radio show, which was a more personal venue, and readily consumable via my phone whenever I pleased. He also had great chemistry with Ryen Russillo, and I'll miss that pairing quite a bit. It didn't get much better than Van Pelt and Russillo talking NBA or college hoops.

I used to like SVP, but after following him on twitter and paying a bit more attention to him, he's largely, to put it politely, rude.

SVP, like many people, is not himself on social media. He gets aggravated really easily and starts Twitter fights on a regular basis. There was actually a running segment on the radio show where Ryen would read SVP Twitter fights on the air. Pretty entertaining stuff.

The thing that sets him apart from Cowherd is that he's at honest about himself. He portrays himself as a regular guy who can talk a little bit, and knows sports. Both he and Russillo's career paths started from humble beginnings, and he often talks about how he was once a huge loser (he still is, as far as I'm concerned, because he roots for Maryland). But I can get behind someone like that.

I lost my taste for Cowherd long ago, and I'm actually amazed it took this long for something like this to happen. He's definitely a egomaniac who will probably have another Don Imus moment or 2 later in his career.

weezie
07-27-2015, 02:52 PM
They are supposedly doing the same to Fox, so it will be interesting to see what Fox does (or if MLBPA cools off about it.

I'd like to think that's a secret plan to deliver us from Joe Buck.

...Simmons got too expensive and risky given his propensity to speak his mind. I expect Simmons to bring a lot more fans to HBO Sports...

As long as Simmons doesn't bring his bestest buddy Jalen Rose along, I can deal.

Duvall
07-27-2015, 02:57 PM
As long as Simmons doesn't bring his bestest buddy Jalen Rose along, I can deal.

Jalen Rose on a network that only airs one sport, and it's a sport that Simmons and his coterie aren't allowed to handle? Tell me more.

weezie
07-27-2015, 03:03 PM
Jalen would be happy batting his eyes at Bill and simply adoring him.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-27-2015, 03:04 PM
Here's a recap of some more offensive CC moments, courtesy of Deadspin (in other words, watch for bad language.)

http://deadspin.com/remember-all-those-other-times-colin-cowherd-said-racis-1720163539

kAzE
07-27-2015, 03:51 PM
I'd like to think that's a secret plan to deliver us from Joe Buck.

Worst professional commentator in sports. Here's one of his best play calls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltjIswXRAXs

The most embarrassing thing is that it's the FIRST PLAY OF THE GAME. How does that happen . . . ?

sagegrouse
07-27-2015, 04:04 PM

The most embarrassing thing is that it's the FIRST PLAY OF THE GAME. How does that happen . . . ?

Yeah, they train the announcers by showing them old tapes of the master (truly), Ray Scott, who had an incredible economy of words: (broadcasting the old Packers) "Starr.... Dowler.... touchdown!" But some guys just don't get it.

I don't usually mind Jack Buck, but I thought he was the worst of the worst at the U.,S. Open this year. He knew nothing about how to broadcast a golf tournament, and didn't even seem to notice that the entire brown-tinged event with the choo-choo trains rolling by was ludicrous. Greg Norman was almost as bad. Asked to sum up the tournament, the Shark said, "I really don't know what I think..." Gee, Greg, I am so glad we hired you.

roywhite
07-27-2015, 04:25 PM

Gotta go with Chris Berman doing golf or baseball as THE worst. He can make a good event unwatchable.

Tripping William
07-27-2015, 05:17 PM
Yeah, they train the announcers by showing them old tapes of the master (truly), Ray Scott, who had an incredible economy of words: (broadcasting the old Packers) "Starr.... Dowler.... touchdown!" But some guys just don't get it.

I don't usually mind Jack Buck, but I thought he was the worst of the worst at the U.,S. Open this year. He knew nothing about how to broadcast a golf tournament, and didn't even seem to notice that the entire brown-tinged event with the choo-choo trains rolling by was ludicrous. Greg Norman was almost as bad. Asked to sum up the tournament, the Shark said, "I really don't know what I think..." Gee, Greg, I am so glad we hired you.

Assume you mean Jack's son, Joe, here. When Dustin Johnson missed his second putt on the 72nd hole, I think Jack would have simply said, "I do not believe what I just saw." Shark would likely have remained equally clueless, though. :confused:

cspan37421
07-27-2015, 07:11 PM
CC is gone, but nothing of value was lost.
He was dead to me anyway, having supplanted TK's spot.
But TK said give him a chance, and as a Loyal Little, I did. Cowherd was (IMO) awful. Someone upthread had it right - he is utterly immature, often interrupting people and not giving them a chance to talk. Never admitting he is wrong. Specious arguments. Often wrong, never in doubt. The works.

A broader observation: solo radio hosts sound very awkward to me. You need a pairing, like SVP & Russilo, or at least some sidekick(s), or else you get these awkward silences like with CC, Jim Rome, and others (such as a certain talk radio blowhard). They also lose the benefit of having someone else there to put a check on their nutty ideas.

brevity
07-27-2015, 07:29 PM
I won't miss him. There was a period of time when his show was opposite Dan Patrick's show (on satellite radio). At first I would switch over to Colin Cowherd during Dan's commercial breaks, but soon I decided that I'd rather stay with Dan Patrick and just listen to the commercials.

I had a bizarro experience once when I was in an airport shuttle after returning a rental car, and the shuttle driver was listening to Cowherd's show on the radio. There were six other people in the shuttle, of various ages and races and walks of life, and each one of them was a Cowherd fan. Mercifully, it was a short drive.

The worst part about ESPN radio (not exclusively Cowherd's show): the nobodies who call in. They are the worst and have nothing meaningful to offer. As mentioned above, Colin cuts them off so frequently that I wonder why he has them at all. Sports radio shows should only have the people in the studio (host, co-host, guests, occasional producer) and experts or celebrities who call in. Dan Le Batard does this; at most he'll read aloud an incoming tweet or e-mail from a listener, and even that is a selective process.

Pghdukie
07-27-2015, 07:43 PM
I'll still take Mike & Mike in the am over them all

kAzE
07-27-2015, 10:54 PM
I'll still take Mike & Mike in the am over them all

Each show has it's own target audience. Mike & Mike is the Disney-fied version of sports talk radio . . . they get the job done, but the furthest thing from pushing the envelope possible. I really loved SVP & Russillo, I thought they really had something special.

gurufrisbee
07-28-2015, 12:37 AM
Unlike Simmons and Olbermann, this time ESPN is having addition by subtraction. Cowherd was terrible.

dukelifer
07-28-2015, 06:53 AM
Unlike Simmons and Olbermann, this time ESPN is having addition by subtraction. Cowherd was terrible.

It is interesting that people have such strong reactions to sports talk show personalities. Cowherd is unique and attempted to relate sports to life. Sometimes his comments were insightful and sometimes they were poorly reasoned. But this is a hard job- filling 3 hrs on the sports topics of the day and trying to be funny and occasionally thought provoking. Most of the time - they are going to fail and be repetitive. Most of the time they are going to make some fan base upset or offend. No writers- no planning and 3 hours to fill. Cowherd lasted longer than most which means someone was listening. I usually listen to these guys while doing something mindless like driving or walking the dog. I expect nothing and occasionally learn something. I won't look for Cowherd if and when he gets another gig. I will just listen to the next guy or gal up on the sports station I mindlessly tune into in those 45 minutes that they enter my life. It is a bit like fast food- it serves the purpose at times but it does not really matter what it is.

Channing
07-28-2015, 08:21 AM
I think Cowherd was/is a lot like Dick Vitale. If you are a big sports fan, you probably don't really like listening to what he has to say, and find most of it irrelevant. However, to the casual fan, he was/is a big draw. He broke sports down into bite size chunks that a listener could understand, even if he didn't have a thorough understanding of the intricacies of the game. He also focused his show on other things that people find interesting, like gambling.

I didn't always love his show, but I generally found it entertaining. He said a lot of things others wouldn't say, and while his delivery was offensive and inappropriate, I don't disagree with his sentiments re the relative complexity of baseball vs. football.

gurufrisbee
07-28-2015, 11:52 AM
I never found him interesting or insightful. I listen to a lot of sports radio and watch sports TV and most everyone I can find something I enjoy about. Never anything with Cowherd. Vitale has passion and enthusiasm coming out his ears - even if he doesn't say much of substance ever. Olbermann is offensive and in your face, but actually has depth and reasoning and interesting takes, even when I don't agree with them. Cowherd had nothing.

mo.st.dukie
07-28-2015, 12:21 PM
I always liked his show. I liked how he would dive into bigger, broader sports topics and things tangential to sports. I didn't always agree with everything he said but it was interesting to hear his views nonetheless. I never really cared if he knew much about the sports that he was covering, like college basketball, but there is so many other ways to get mor in depth discussion about sports. And in all honesty, much of sports, and success in sports, can be quite simple. He blasted college basketball during the tournament but after the title game he took the angle that perhaps we shouldn't be trying to make college hoops like the NBA. He also loved what Duke was doing and had a lot of praise for Okafor and Winslow. He certainly was never shy about talking about some of his socio-political thoughts and background so I could see how that could rub some people the wrong way. Not surprised at all that he said what he said.

royalblue
07-30-2015, 05:11 PM
Mike G x 2 are nice guys that people like but bring little insight to the table for myself only a good guest list. CC had his issues but was more interesting and much more creative with his thought process. Mike x 2 should be commended for reaching a success that I could have never seen coming for really just being a couple of "Average Joes"
Little Mike is well spoken and is fine for some play by play and The other Mike was a very good football player but really without guests how much cow milking and butt oiling up can you really take? The answer is more than I can understand.

Steven43
07-30-2015, 07:39 PM
I won't miss him. There was a period of time when his show was opposite Dan Patrick's show (on satellite radio). At first I would switch over to Colin Cowherd during Dan's commercial breaks, but soon I decided that I'd rather stay with Dan Patrick and just listen to the commercials.

I had a bizarro experience once when I was in an airport shuttle after returning a rental car, and the shuttle driver was listening to Cowherd's show on the radio. There were six other people in the shuttle, of various ages and races and walks of life, and each one of them was a Cowherd fan. Mercifully, it was a short drive.

The worst part about ESPN radio (not exclusively Cowherd's show): the nobodies who call in. They are the worst and have nothing meaningful to offer. As mentioned above, Colin cuts them off so frequently that I wonder why he has them at all. Sports radio shows should only have the people in the studio (host, co-host, guests, occasional producer) and experts or celebrities who call in. Dan Le Batard does this; at most he'll read aloud an incoming tweet or e-mail from a listener, and even that is a selective process.
No matter what you think of Cowherd, I can't imagine how Dan Patrick could possibly be more appealing or entertaining. Dan Patrick is by far the worst combination of smug, uptight, corporate, thin-skinned, and just utterly boring of all the sports radio hosts I have ever heard in my life. I would rather listen to Jalen Rose than Dan Patrick, and that's really saying something.

weezie
07-30-2015, 09:15 PM
... how much cow milking and butt oiling up can you really take?

Hahaha that's spot on. Plus why listen to those dudes over Howard Stern anyway?

JetpackJesus
07-30-2015, 10:04 PM
I've never seen a fully grown human being who is supposed to be a professional act so blatantly immature.

I have.

BD80
07-31-2015, 12:17 PM
I have.

He said human, meaning not alien

jimmymax
08-01-2015, 12:22 AM
Cowherd (note that does not rhyme with coward) has one of those sports radio voices that instantly makes me change the station, so I will not miss him. I'd love it if Jim Rome would go away next. He's the absolute worst. The absolute worst. I say, he's the absolute worst. Did you get that clones? He's really the absolute worst. Is my three hours up yet? I could repeat that a few more times or you could just watch this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57W05-oopNA).

In the Triangle we no longer hear much from Bomani or "Coach" Logan which is also a relief. And Stephen A. only rants occasionally. I can see why folks might not enjoy Dan Patrick but I don't find him offensive, except for his obsession with the overrated Arcade Fire. Mike and Mike are vanilla, boring and can't really talk about anything but football.

The only show I've found that I can listen to for extended periods is Adam Gold and Joe Ovies. They are pretty balanced, not clowns, and they mix in some pop culture. There's a little too much talk of golf like it's a sport and too much bashing of soccer but that's just me.

Faison1
08-01-2015, 11:35 AM
Cowherd (note that does not rhyme with coward) has one of those sports radio voices that instantly makes me change the station, so I will not miss him. I'd love it if Jim Rome would go away next. He's the absolute worst. The absolute worst. I say, he's the absolute worst. Did you get that clones? He's really the absolute worst. Is my three hours up yet? I could repeat that a few more times or you could just watch this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57W05-oopNA).

In the Triangle we no longer hear much from Bomani or "Coach" Logan which is also a relief. And Stephen A. only rants occasionally. I can see why folks might not enjoy Dan Patrick but I don't find him offensive, except for his obsession with the overrated Arcade Fire. Mike and Mike are vanilla, boring and can't really talk about anything but football.

The only show I've found that I can listen to for extended periods is Adam Gold and Joe Ovies. They are pretty balanced, not clowns, and they mix in some pop culture. There's a little too much talk of golf like it's a sport and too much bashing of soccer but that's just me.

So, you're saying you like the radio....

DevilWearsPrada
08-02-2015, 09:52 AM

Well Said!

As we say in Cameron Indoor Stadium : " See Ya " !

jimmymax
08-02-2015, 07:54 PM
So, you're saying you like the radio....

Yea, I do. I like 1% of it. Because 99% -- well 30% is ads -- so 69% of the "programming" is garbage, be it sports, talk or music. Thank god for podcasts as it *can* be a great medium.

Henderson
08-04-2015, 01:14 PM
I'd love it if Jim Rome would go away next. He's the absolute worst. The absolute worst. I say, he's the absolute worst. Did you get that clones? He's really the absolute worst.

Rack him.

nmduke2001
08-10-2015, 01:48 PM
I saw a few tweets recently that suggest that The Dan Le Batard show is replacing Cowherd. Le Batard is not for everyone, but I find his show very funny. If you like your traditional sports talk show, you will HATE Le Batard. If you don't mind a ton of ridiculous off topic banter, Le Batard is entertaining.

brevity
08-10-2015, 02:45 PM
I saw a few tweets recently that suggest that The Dan Le Batard show is replacing Cowherd. Le Batard is not for everyone, but I find his show very funny. If you like your traditional sports talk show, you will HATE Le Batard. If you don't mind a ton of ridiculous off topic banter, Le Batard is entertaining.

If that were to happen, it would be a bad idea. Le Batard's show only works as a palate cleanser after a day of straightforward ESPN shows that push forward the self-promoting ESPN daily agenda. You know, like when Mike & Mike interview, say, the director of the NFL Players Association about some hot football topic, and then every subsequent show (Cowherd, SVP, etc.) airs a snippet of that interview and spends at least one full segment discussing it. Or when an athlete or actor visits Bristol and guests on SportsCenter and every in-house radio show. After all that stuffiness, I could use a little off-brand irreverence.

But sticking that show in mid-morning makes no sense at all; it would completely derail what ESPN is trying to do, which is steer the sports conversation. ESPN Radio in particular is very careful about this. That's why you don't hear the typical -- pardon the stereotype -- obnoxious New Yorker voice on their airwaves. Mike Greenberg is a New Yorker, and Colin Cowherd could be obnoxious, but neither of them sound like the morning guys on non-ESPN stations. Scratchy and hoarse, always riled up about something. ESPN wants clearer voices to speak about the major talking points in the biggest American sports stories so that the rest of us (including DBR) do the same.

Le Batard's show is a little bit like late night TV. To extend the analogy, CNN could hire David Letterman to host a show from 10-11 each morning, but would then have to spend the rest of each day getting back on track in steering the news conversation.

Pghdukie
08-10-2015, 06:17 PM
You may have hit on something. Hire Letterman to do a radio show, incorporate his knowledge of auto racing, football, etc,etc, His name alone would get the best guests and throw in a Bill Murray occasionally and you got a winner!!!!!!

Channing
08-11-2015, 08:37 AM
I love Lebatard's show and hope it stays the in the drive home slot so I can listen for 20 minutes a day. This was one his all time funniest segments - http://espn.go.com/espnradio/story/_/id/12545984/the-dan-le-batard-s-march-sadness. Note that the school reference has nothing to do with the description; listeners just gave descriptions of what they thought athletes and other sports personalities should be doing given their appearance. Unsurprisingly, I think the South region is the strongest.

nocilla
08-11-2015, 10:18 AM
I love Lebatard's show and hope it stays the in the drive home slot so I can listen for 20 minutes a day. This was one his all time funniest segments - http://espn.go.com/espnradio/story/_/id/12545984/the-dan-le-batard-s-march-sadness. Note that the school reference has nothing to do with the description; listeners just gave descriptions of what they thought athletes and other sports personalities should be doing given their appearance. Unsurprisingly, I think the South region is the strongest.

I don't listen to him very much so I am a little confused. Is there any correlation between the individuals and the school they are next to in the bracket? The descriptions are funny regardless, but I was curious.

Channing
08-11-2015, 10:22 AM
I don't listen to him very much so I am a little confused. Is there any correlation between the individuals and the school they are next to in the bracket? The descriptions are funny regardless, but I was curious.

no correlation whatsoever.

duke blue brewcrew
08-11-2015, 10:31 AM

Not a fan, he had me changing the channel much faster than Cowherd ever did. Cowherd jumped the shark sometimes with some of his takes, but some of them could be thought provoking. I like Mike & Mike, I think they do a solid job. They are never going to be too controversial, but I personally find them entertaining. I miss the SVP & Russillo Show. I thought that was a gem! SVP is a homer Twerp fan, but he does a great job and is very entertaining when not obsessing about the Twerps.

Olympic Fan
08-11-2015, 04:25 PM
Replacing Cowherd with Le Bastard (an intentional misspelling) means nothing to me -- I didn't listen to Cowherd and won't listen to Le Bastard.

I DVR Pardon the Interruption every day to watch a little later in the evening. I don't mind when Jason Whitlock or Bob Ryan or Bill Simmons sit in for Tony or Mike ... but the second I see Le Bastard, I hit the delete button.

There are a handful of "commentators" I just can't listen to -- usually guys who confuse the volume of their comments with the wisdom of their comments.

That list starts with Le Bastard, then continues with Cowherd, Rome, Bomani Jones and "Mad Dog" Russo. As a show, I love PTI, but can't stand Around the Horn.

duke blue brewcrew
08-11-2015, 04:30 PM
Replacing Cowherd with Le Bastard (an intentional misspelling) means nothing to me -- I didn't listen to Cowherd and won't listen to Le Bastard.

I DVR Pardon the Interruption every day to watch a little later in the evening. I don't mind when Jason Whitlock or Bob Ryan or Bill Simmons sit in for Tony or Mike ... but the second I see Le Bastard, I hit the delete button.

There are a handful of "commentators" I just can't listen to -- usually guys who confuse the volume of their comments with the wisdom of their comments.

That list starts with Le Bastard, then continues with Cowherd, Rome, Bomani Jones and "Mad Dog" Russo. As a show, I love PTI, but can't stand Around the Horn.

I love PTI, and share your opinion that Around the Horn sucks. You can add Screamin A Smith to the list of people of confuse volume with wisdom. I will say again, SVP and Russillo was one of if not my favorite radio shows.

CDu
08-11-2015, 04:36 PM

I can't stand any of those shows, PTI included. Can't stand Kornheiser and Wilbon any more than I can the "newer models."

oldnavy
08-11-2015, 05:15 PM
I can't stand any of those shows, PTI included. Can't stand Kornheiser and Wilbon any more than I can the "newer models."

I used to listen to Kornheiser on the radio when I was in DC back in the mid-90's. He was pretty funny, but he is getting a bit worn IMO.

Whitlock seems to want to bring race into almost every discussion and I find that off-putting and often offensive, so I just don't watch him.

Stephen A and Skip Bayless are laughable to me. They take themselves SO seriously what with their furrowed brows, and tone you would think they are reading obituaries instead of doing a sports show. If only they were as smart as they believe themselves to be, then they might be worth watching.

I actually like Bomani Jones. He is funny to me even when I totally disagree with his opinion. I am often impressed by his quick wit.

Henderson
08-12-2015, 01:22 PM
Frank Gifford was good.

nmduke2001
08-20-2015, 02:07 PM
Looks like it is Le Batard to replace Cowherd. I actually find his show amusing.

http://thebiglead.com/2015/08/20/dan-le-batard-nearing-completion-on-deal-to-replace-colin-cowherd-on-espn-radio/

Michelle Beadle and Ben Lyons have been doing in for the last couple of weeks. They aren't terrible. Not great, but not terrible. I'm not sure if they were a show before they filled in for the last couple of weeks, but they seem pretty comfortable together. I wonder what future they have on ESPN radio.

duke blue brewcrew
08-20-2015, 02:13 PM
Looks like it is Le Batard to replace Cowherd. I actually find his show amusing.

http://thebiglead.com/2015/08/20/dan-le-batard-nearing-completion-on-deal-to-replace-colin-cowherd-on-espn-radio/

Michelle Beadle and Ben Lyons have been doing in for the last couple of weeks. They aren't terrible. Not great, but not terrible. I'm not sure if they were a show before they filled in for the last couple of weeks, but they seem pretty comfortable together. I wonder what future they have on ESPN radio.

I can't explain why, but his intro/outro for the start of the show, breaks and the show close is like nails on a chalkboard to me. His content is just OK in my book. I like Cowherd a lot more than Le Batard, but that's hardly an endorsement.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
08-20-2015, 02:30 PM
Living in South Florida we get a lot of Lebatard, and I actually enjoy his show. Its funny, and he doesn't take it too seriously with hot takes and all that BS. Will be interesting to see how he changes up his show now. I hope he still keeps his South Florida show going.

theAlaskanBear
08-20-2015, 05:19 PM
Russillo show is palatable when doing basketball. I find LeBatards show to be the most amusing of the bunch. He has a sense of humor and doesn't take himself seriously. That makes me much more tolerant of his shtick than the other talking heads. Stugotz plays his foil pretty well and the crew has good chemistry. I won't actively tune in to the morning show, but I wont turn the channel either if it comes on (unlike Cowherd and most other shows).

Channing
11-06-2015, 06:00 PM

For anyone who also finds this segment entertaining, there is now a twitter account dedicated to it. @whathelookslike. I think its hilarious.

DukeFanSince1990
11-06-2015, 06:43 PM
For anyone who also finds this segment entertaining, there is now a twitter account dedicated to it. @whathelookslike. I think its hilarious.

Holy crap that is a great twitter account!

devildeac
11-06-2015, 07:10 PM
Holy crap that is a great twitter account!

Frightening imagery/association. Maybe even worse than Rick Majerus and back hair:eek:.