PDA

View Full Version : The field is named.....

CameronBornAndBred
07-17-2015, 10:32 AM
Brooks field.
That's what 13 million dollars buys. Not a fan.
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=210221597

The commitment of the money is awesome and appreciated, but I'd rather the field be named after someone who has contributed to the program on the field itself. (Say...oh, I dunno...someone like that Cutcliffe guy.)

PDDuke85
07-17-2015, 10:42 AM
"Welcome to the David Cutcliffe End Zone at Brooks Field at Wallace Wade Stadium"

Bob Green
07-17-2015, 10:51 AM
...but I'd rather the field be named after someone who has contributed to the program on the field itself. (Say...oh, I dunno...someone like that Cutcliffe guy.)

I agree 100 percent.

MCFinARL
07-17-2015, 10:54 AM
I agree 100 percent.

Money talks; nobody walks. In principle I agree as well, but principle has precious little to do with the financing of college sports facilities (or any college facilities for that matter).

OldPhiKap
07-17-2015, 11:03 AM
The good news is, in 50 years it will be "historic Brooks field."

I would prefer that a building be named after a donor than our football field, but then again I did not give millions to the University to build it.

Still, Brooks-Cutcliffe field would work.

Edit to add: We should all be thankful that the Brooks family helped to bring about these renovations; I would not want the Brooks family to think that we are slighting them by our reaction to the name.

duke blue brewcrew
07-17-2015, 11:09 AM
Brooks field...I'd rather the field be named after someone who has contributed to the program on the field itself. (Say...oh, I dunno...someone like that Cutcliffe guy.)

I 110% agree with you. Coach Cut field has a nice ring to it and he would be worthy of such an honor given his contributions to the program that will forever live in the record books. Like other posters on here, I would rather see a significant donor, have a building of some nature named after them. Good for the Brooks family that they had a liquid $13 million laying around that they could donate however, that's impressive.

killerleft
07-17-2015, 11:11 AM
Brooks field.

The commitment of the money is awesome and appreciated, but I'd rather the field be named after someone who has contributed to the program on the field itself. (Say...oh, I dunno...someone like that Cutcliffe guy.)

Wade-Cutcliffe Stadium is not a pipe-dream, I hope.:) I've heard we're hunting championships.

duke09hms
07-17-2015, 11:24 AM
I would have expected naming the field to cost a lot more. $13M seems cheap for that. Maybe it's in light of their many contributions over the long term.

flyingdutchdevil
07-17-2015, 11:31 AM
Duke's endowment is a solid $7.0B (when I was a freshman in 2007, it was around $2.3B IIRC. Broadhead can raise funds). However, that is only good for 15th in the country. Any funds that can go into academics and the students is a huge plus. So, if someone wants to spend $13M for naming rights to a school, I say, "Awesome. That will mean more money for the school and, through a trickle down effect, academics".

NancyCarol
07-17-2015, 11:39 AM
Well, and this would never happen with these fine people, but I worry about naming stadiums and things for $$$$. Coach K earned his namesake. So did Dean. With only money as the measure for naming something, what seems a good idea one decade could be a disaster in another. I mean, imagine Bill Cosby Field?

sagegrouse
07-17-2015, 11:40 AM
Duke's endowment is a solid $7.0B (when I was a freshman in 2007, it was around $2.3B IIRC. Broadhead can raise funds). However, that is only good for 15th in the country. Any funds that can go into academics and the students is a huge plus. So, if someone wants to spend $13M for naming rights to a school, I say, "Awesome. That will mean more money for the school and, through a trickle down effect, academics".

To which one can add approximately one-half of The Duke Endowment, the separated entity left by Mr. Duke. It's value today is $3.4 billion. The Duke U. endowment and The Duke Endowment funds are managed together by a professional management team.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-17-2015, 11:41 AM
The most recent brochure for the Iron Dukes provides information about naming rights for a variety of athletic facilities or parts of facilities. The chart in the brochure indicates that for the football field the gift required is $20 million. The Brooks family has already given funds which provided the practice facility. Other donors have already agreed to donate for naming rights the North Gate and the East Gate. The naming rights for the remaining West Gate is $4 million. The press level lobby of Blue Devil Tower is available for $1 million. Many naming possibilities remain at the Yoh.

All areas available for naming in Cameron are reserved.

PSurprise
07-17-2015, 11:44 AM
Well, and this would never happen with these fine people, but I worry about naming stadiums and things for $$$$. Coach K earned his namesake. So did Dean. With only money as the measure for naming something, what seems a good idea one decade could be a disaster in another. I mean, imagine Bill Cosby Field?

One could argue K & Dean "won" their names with the money they brought. But I understand your point.

johnb
07-17-2015, 11:50 AM
Remind me the academic disciplines and administrative initiatives attributed to Messrs Duke, Cornell, Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc.

I work at a place where David Koch is being celebrated for his donation of a $100m medical building, and he's David Koch. The Brooks family is fine. Reminds me of a Chronicle editorial after the Woodruffs (Coke) gave 100m to Emory; the editorial indicated that for an equivalent amount, we at Duke would become the Pepsi generation. No dice.

Looking forward to seeing the stadium!

OldPhiKap
07-17-2015, 11:51 AM
I would rather it be Brooks Field than being named after a corporate donor. So there's that silver lining.

johnb
07-17-2015, 11:55 AM

All areas available for naming in Cameron are reserved.

That is probably true, but I'd bet an enterprising marketing person could find a closet or roof or laundry cart that could use a plaque.

Billy Dat
07-17-2015, 11:55 AM
To which one can add approximately one-half of The Duke Endowment, the separated entity left by Mr. Duke. It's value today is $3.4 billion. The Duke U. endowment and The Duke Endowment funds are managed together by a professional management team.

Trinity College had a nice ring to it and JB basically bought the naming rights. There is an established pattern of this kind of behavior.

I basically feel the same way. It's better then "Lil Dinos" Field.

I mean, imagine Bill Cosby Field?

I am trying to but I can't quite focus, ever since I drank that cappuccino...he's gonna get his soon enough.

Avvocato
07-17-2015, 11:56 AM
For those mentioning that you prefer naming buildings after donors, from the ESPN online article (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13272558/duke-blue-devils-rename-football-field-receiving-13-million-donation):

"Steve Brooks is the president and CEO of the Phoenix American Insurance Group Inc. One of his sons, Matt, is a former Blue Devils football player. The family has two other campus facilities named for them: the Brooks Practice Facility and the Brooks Football Building."

I'm not a big fan of the field name, either. However, I am very appreciative of the support the Brooks family has had in upgrading the Duke football facilities. The upgraded facilities not only help the players and fans, but are a big part of recruiting better players. So to that, I do thank the Brooks family and appreciate the support.

Merlindevildog91
07-17-2015, 12:03 PM
Brooks field.

That has been my hope all along. David Cutcliffe Field at Wallace Wade Stadium. Sigh....

OldPhiKap
07-17-2015, 12:04 PM
Trinity College had a nice ring to it and JB basically bought the naming rights.

Touche. And quite right.

duke4ever19
07-17-2015, 12:09 PM
If I contribute that kind of cash to a football program not named Alabama, Fl State, Ohio St. etc. then I expect that field named after me.

This is a serious boost to a program that was, till recently, a complete joke among NCAA football programs. Good on Cut for resurrecting it these past few years, but he hasn't yet earned the right to have a football field named after him. Win a few more bowl games and a ACC Championship and we can talk.

snowdenscold
07-17-2015, 12:28 PM
I would rather it be Brooks Field than being named after a corporate donor. So there's that silver lining.

Just want to echo this sentiment. Last name >>> corporate name.

CameronBornAndBred
07-17-2015, 12:54 PM
If I contribute that kind of cash to a football program not named Alabama, Fl State, Ohio St. etc. then I expect that field named after me.

This is a serious boost to a program that was, till recently, a complete joke among NCAA football programs. Good on Cut for resurrecting it these past few years, but he hasn't yet earned the right to have a football field named after him. Win a few more bowl games and a ACC Championship and we can talk.
But that's the thing...we can't. The field has been named. Think they are going to take that away in the future to name it after Cut (or any other athletic contributor)? Doubtful. I echo the others that naming a building (hell, they ARE building a new press box after all) would have been a nice and appropriate acknowledgement. I also agree with others that at least it isn't corporate.

Duvall
07-17-2015, 01:00 PM
If you don't like the name of the field, there's a simple $14 million solution...

Wander
07-17-2015, 01:01 PM
Why do we even name fields/courts separately from stadiums/arenas, anyway?

Duvall
07-17-2015, 01:07 PM
Why do we even name fields/courts separately from stadiums/arenas, anyway?

To get two (or three! (http://www.virginiasports.com/facilities/va-facilities-carl-smith.html)) naming opportunities for the same facility without having to rename anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBwAxmrE194

Billy Dat
07-17-2015, 01:10 PM
To get two (or three! (http://www.virginiasports.com/facilities/va-facilities-carl-smith.html)) naming opportunities for the same facility without having to rename anything.

Sporks for Wu. Imagine if Russell Tyrone Jones had put up the $. ODB Field, which bring us back to Bill Cosby.

duke09hms
07-17-2015, 01:18 PM

That is actually not true at all. Among the several knocks people have on Dr. Brodhead, an undeniably material one is his inability to fundraise on par with his peers. In 2007, the endowment was 5.9B. Don't know where you got your 2.3B from but we haven't been anywhere near that ballpark since the 90s. And I would say, what is more important is our relative place. Since Brodhead took the reins, several schools have passed us by in endowment and fundraising. Sure there was the downturn in 08, but since that affected everyone, it's still notable that we have fallen behind. This is a conversation for another time however.

https://dukeforward.duke.edu/downloads/Duke_Endowment_Snapshot_FY14_final.pdf

Anyway, my point was if someone was going to donate enough money to remove the possibility of Cutcliffe Field, I'd expect it to take much more than 13M. What the man has done and continues to do is legendary.

duke09hms
07-17-2015, 01:21 PM
If you don't like the name of the field, there's a simple $14 million solution...

I'm working on it! ;)
And if I get there, Imma name it Cutcliffe Field!

BD80
07-17-2015, 01:31 PM
For those mentioning that you prefer naming buildings after donors, from the ESPN online article (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13272558/duke-blue-devils-rename-football-field-receiving-13-million-donation):

"Steve Brooks is the president and CEO of the Phoenix American Insurance Group Inc. One of his sons, Matt, is a former Blue Devils football player. The family has two other campus facilities named for them: the Brooks Practice Facility and the Brooks Football Building."

That was some top notch recruiting!

duke09hms
07-17-2015, 01:34 PM
The good news is, in 50 years it will be "historic Brooks field."

I would prefer that a building be named after a donor than our football field, but then again I did not give millions to the University to build it.

Still, Brooks-Cutcliffe field would work.

Actually, how about Wade-Cutcliffe Stadium? Similar to Alabama's Bryant-Denny Stadium, so it wouldn't be unheard of. Very few Dukies know who Wallace Wade even was, so it might give us a more recent connection to the football stadium.

Strangely, part of me feels like Cut hasn't done enough to get his name on a stadium though. Field, sure. Stadium, the bar should be higher, like ACC Championship. I so want that to happen, but just don't see how it ever could ...

Tom B.
07-17-2015, 01:41 PM
Just want to echo this sentiment. Last name >>> corporate name.

The three words that best drive this point home:

KFC.

Yum!

Center.

(And two more for good measure: Comcast Arena.)

tux
07-17-2015, 01:42 PM
Actually, how about Wade-Cutcliffe Stadium? Similar to Alabama's Bryant-Denny Stadium, so it wouldn't be unheard of. Very few Dukies know who Wallace Wade even was, so it might give us a more recent connection to the football stadium.

Strangely, part of me feels like Cut hasn't done enough to get his name on a stadium though. Field, sure. Stadium, the bar should be higher, like ACC Championship. I so want that to happen, but just don't see how it ever could ...

Yeah, this is interesting. K accomplished a lot more when the court in Cameron was named after him. Cutcliffe has done an amazing job, but I think it's too early to name anything after him. And I don't think one championship (unless national) should be enough either. I think it's a reflection of the desperation of Duke fans for some kernel of football success that makes us want to start naming things after Cut. I mean, if they named it Cutcliffe Field instead of Brooks Field, can you imagine what our ACC rivals would say? I could even write that Onion article...

Duvall
07-17-2015, 01:43 PM
The three words that best drive this point home:

KFC.

Yum!

Center.

(And two more for good measure: Comcast Arena.)

You mean the XFINITY Center? (http://www.umterps.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208133549)

Tom B.
07-17-2015, 01:47 PM
You mean the XFINITY Center? (http://www.umterps.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208133549)

Yeah, forgot that the name had changed. Point still stands, though.

duke09hms
07-17-2015, 01:49 PM
Yeah, this is interesting. K accomplished a lot more when the court in Cameron was named after him. Cutcliffe has done an amazing job, but I think it's too early to name anything after him. And I don't think one championship (unless national) should be enough either. I think it's a reflection of the desperation of Duke fans for some kernel of football success that makes us want to start naming things after Cut. I mean, if they named it Cutcliffe Field instead of Brooks Field, can you imagine what our ACC rivals would say? I could even write that Onion article...

I suppose that's true. Wallace Wade got the stadium name after winning 6 conference titles. The modern era is more competitive though in the 14-team ACC. I think if Cutcliffe continues to keep us relevant like averaging 7+ wins from now till retirement, Brooks-Cutcliffe Field should be a lock. If he wins the ACC or gets us into the Playoffs, then a strong argument can be made for Wade-Cutcliffe Stadium.

Duvall
07-17-2015, 01:49 PM
Yeah, forgot that the name had changed. Point still stands, though.

Oh, sure. Selling your stadium's name to a commercial product instead of just a corporation is probably even worse.

ChillinDuke
07-17-2015, 01:58 PM
Anyway, my point was if someone was going to donate enough money to remove the possibility of Cutcliffe Field, I'd expect it to take much more than 13M. What the man has done and continues to do is legendary.

Listen, I agree with the general consensus that I wish it was named based on merit and not money. That said, of course the field can be renamed in the future. I tend to agree with others that it's unlikely. However, even though Cut has done a tremendous job as Duke's coach, resurrecting the program, I would argue that he is nowhere close to being so good as to have a field named after him. That's the stuff of legendary, Hall of Fame worthy, championship winning coaches. Now, I love Cut and think he still has that potential. But naming a field after him? Right now? C'mon folks, a little perspective here. He's great, but on what merits? Do we name fields after people just because they turned a horrible team to a good team? I mean, in that light it just seems silly.

Now, if he continues at his current trajectory and starts winning Duke some major games and titles with consistency - all bets are off. And I'd go so far as to venture a guess. If Cut turns into a truly legendary, championship coach at Duke, I bet Mr. Brooks, clearly an avid Duke football fan (his son played on the team), would consider giving up the field name in order to honor Coach Cut.

At the current moment, this is hardly as big a tragedy as some are making it out to be (IMO).

- Chillin

duke09hms
07-17-2015, 02:21 PM
Listen, I agree with the general consensus that I wish it was named based on merit and not money. That said, of course the field can be renamed in the future. I tend to agree with others that it's unlikely. However, even though Cut has done a tremendous job as Duke's coach, resurrecting the program, I would argue that he is nowhere close to being so good as to have a field named after him. That's the stuff of legendary, Hall of Fame worthy, championship winning coaches. Now, I love Cut and think he still has that potential. But naming a field after him? Right now? C'mon folks, a little perspective here. He's great, but on what merits? Do we name fields after people just because they turned a horrible team to a good team? I mean, in that light it just seems silly.

Now, if he continues at his current trajectory and starts winning Duke some major games and titles with consistency - all bets are off. And I'd go so far as to venture a guess. If Cut turns into a truly legendary, championship coach at Duke, I bet Mr. Brooks, clearly an avid Duke football fan (his son played on the team), would consider giving up the field name in order to honor Coach Cut.

At the current moment, this is hardly as big a tragedy as some are making it out to be (IMO).

- Chillin

A matter of perspective. From where Duke football has been, Cutcliffe has resurrected the program from historically low depths of futility to respectability and relevance. If Cutcliffe even maintains that until he retires, and he doesn't retire anytime soon, say a few Division championships, no ACC championships, that is worthy of him sharing the field name. He will have done enough for Brooks-Cutcliffe Field. What he's done here is on par with Saban winning national championships at Alabama.

No tragedy here, just keeping things in perspective. If national championships are a requirement for naming fields and stadiums (stadia?), there's going to be a lot of unnamed fields and stadiums around the country.

Bluedog
07-17-2015, 02:23 PM
Trinity College had a nice ring to it and JB basically bought the naming rights. There is an established pattern of this kind of behavior.

Well, the Duke president at the time, William Preston Few, wanted to distinguish Trinity College from the various other Trinity's of the time. He was the one who went to James B Duke after the establishment of the Duke Endowment to insist they rename it Duke University. James B Duke at first thought it would be too much of self-aggrandizement but eventually agreed as a memorial to his deceased father. I think the "re-branding" of the university was pivotal (and the money at the same time didn't hurt) in transforming the trajectory of the university. "Duke" is much more recognizable than "Trinity College (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_College)" or "Trinity University (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_University)."

OldPhiKap
07-17-2015, 02:25 PM
"Enron Field"

And on Cut, I am kidding about naming it after him at this point and I assume most are. But give him a few more years . . . .

Olympic Fan
07-17-2015, 02:53 PM
I'd like to note that just in the ACC, we have:

-- Carter Finley Stadium (NC State) named for two big donors

-- Lane Stadium (Virginia Tech) named for a big donor ... BTW It's now Worsham Field at Lane Stadium (named for another donor who paid for a major expansion)

-- Kenan Stadium (UNC) -- named for a dairy farmer who funded the original construction

-- Grant Field (Georgia Tech) -- named for a big donor. It's now officially "Historic Bobby Dodd Stadium at Grant Field" ... it's the oldest on-campus facility in FCS football and the original name was Grant Field

Also such former facilities as:

-- Carmichael Auditorium (where UNC played basketball from 1965-1985)

-- Reynolds Coliseum (where NC Stare played basketball from 1049 to 1999)

Actually, my favorite ACC facility name is Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Stadium (Wake Forest). Lawrence Joel had nothing to do with wake Forest -- he was an Army medic from Winston-Salem who won the medal of honor in Vietnam (posthumously) in 1965. His name symbolizes the veterans that the arena memorializes.

ChillinDuke
07-17-2015, 03:19 PM
A matter of perspective. From where Duke football has been, Cutcliffe has resurrected the program from historically low depths of futility to respectability and relevance. If Cutcliffe even maintains that until he retires, and he doesn't retire anytime soon, say a few Division championships, no ACC championships, that is worthy of him sharing the field name. He will have done enough for Brooks-Cutcliffe Field. What he's done here is on par with Saban winning national championships at Alabama.

No tragedy here, just keeping things in perspective. If national championships are a requirement for naming fields and stadiums (stadia?), there's going to be a lot of unnamed fields and stadiums around the country.

With all due respect, I'm in utter disagreement on this point.

I know, we all know, full well the depths of ineptitude that the program went through for many years. I was on campus from 2005-2009 and watched firsthand (sorta; tailgate RIP) the last 3 years of Roof's tenure in which Duke went a pathetic 2-33. It was painful. And we need not revisit the thought any further.

But naming a field is what you do for a legendary coach. I do not take the word legendary lightly. In the metaphorical college football history book, Cut's tenure at Duke is highly unlikely, at the current point, to generate even a chapter. Perhaps not even be mentioned at all. We just haven't accomplished enough, on a national level, to generate that kind of seriously noteworthy historical relevance. What we have done in relation to where we were is impressive - on that point, I completely agree, I think we all do. But a few winning seasons, and a few Bowl Game and ACC Championship game losses do not get fields named after people. Winning those games, consistently, and trotting out teams that are in or around the Top 10 year in and year out do.

It's a stature that Cut can get this Duke Football program to, with hard work, discipline, and the sort of integrity and commitment that Cut has instilled. But it's not easy to get there. And Cut is not there yet. Not terribly close either - but his trajectory is certainly impressive enough to give him this opportunity. Again, in my opinion.

- Chillin

duke09hms
07-17-2015, 03:46 PM

I know, we all know, full well the depths of ineptitude that the program went through for many years. I was on campus from 2005-2009 and watched firsthand (sorta; tailgate RIP) the last 3 years of Roof's tenure in which Duke went a pathetic 2-33. It was painful. And we need not revisit the thought any further.

But naming a field is what you do for a legendary coach. I do not take the word legendary lightly. In the metaphorical college football history book, Cut's tenure at Duke is highly unlikely, at the current point, to generate even a chapter. Perhaps not even be mentioned at all. We just haven't accomplished enough, on a national level, to generate that kind of seriously noteworthy historical relevance. What we have done in relation to where we were is impressive - on that point, I completely agree, I think we all do. But a few winning seasons, and a few Bowl Game and ACC Championship game losses do not get fields named after people. Winning those games, consistently, and trotting out teams that are in or around the Top 10 year in and year out do.

It's a stature that Cut can get this Duke Football program to, with hard work, discipline, and the sort of integrity and commitment that Cut has instilled. But it's not easy to get there. And Cut is not there yet. Not terribly close either - but his trajectory is certainly impressive enough to give him this opportunity. Again, in my opinion.

- Chillin

I get where you're coming from, and note that I said "if he continues to maintain our relevance until he retires" it should be Brooks-Cutcliffe Field. So we may not be in total disagreement.

I do think that you're exaggerating the history of Duke football and its relevance today. We're talking about a program that has won 3 bowl games in its entire history. Only 5 bowl games since 1961, and Cutcliffe has been responsible for 3 of them. We had a golden era over 50 going on 60 years ago. For a football power, "a few winning seasons, and a few Bowl Game and ACC Championship game losses do not get fields named after people." But for Duke Football, this is unprecedented in the modern era. Add in the resurrection from decades of negligence and failure, and it's an even bigger achievement. IF continued and maintained, I think he absolutely deserves Brooks-Cutcliffe Field. Anyway, I'm sure we can all agree to hope he continues the trajectory. LGD!

duke blue brewcrew
07-17-2015, 04:06 PM

- Chillin

By this logic, it sounds as if Wallace Wade Stadium should be called Cameron Outdoor Stadium, since Coach Eddie Cameron and the Duke Football team def. Alabama in the 1945 Sugar Bowl. OR Bill Murray Stadium would be the other name that makes the most sense given this criteria.

Avvocato
07-17-2015, 04:09 PM
I love Cut and believe what he has done here at Duke is nothing short of a football miracle. But I agree with some others that he's not at the field naming level yet. In that case, we should be playing on Spurrier Field, based on what he did in a few seasons in the 80's. This in no way is meant to disparage Cut, because I love the guy, everything he has done, everything he is doing, and how he represents the program. Again, I don't know if there are many people who could have done what he has at this school. It really is a football miracle. And any coach can have a good season. What he has done is transformed the program and set us up for sustained success. We just have to have it for longer before we start having these discussions. As others have said, when you name a field after a guy, it's usually a guy who has done it at your school for 15-20+ years, etc. I believe Cut can get there, and I don't think it takes quite the high level of success that ChillinDuke is suggesting, but he does need to put in some more time and sustained success to have a field named after him. I think it's too premature for that right now. Again, Cut has set the program up for him to be that guy. Now let's just enjoy the ride and see how it goes.

With that said, in Cut I trust, and love the guy. Can't wait for camp to start, let alone the season. In the words of Bart Scott, "Can't Wait!"

tux
07-17-2015, 04:16 PM
IF continued and maintained, I think he absolutely deserves Brooks-Cutcliffe Field. Anyway, I'm sure we can all agree to hope he continues the trajectory. LGD!

That's the big IF. Everything (play on the field, recruiting, facilities, continuity, etc.) are on an upward trajectory. And Cut deserves the lion share of praise for the current state of the program. As noted recently by Andrew Carter in the N&O, maintaining football success and/or being a top-10 team has been elusive for the big four schools in NC. One factor he cited was the number of schools (and border schools + ECU) dividing the NC talent too thin for one school to reach national prominence. People have been waiting a long time for either UNC or NCSU to grab the reins and take off... Wake had a few seasons under Grobe, but then fell back to the pack and then some. UNC and State seem to trade (very) brief periods of hope.

The above speaks to the current expectations of Duke fans. In my mind, "maintain" may not mean bowl games every season but more that the "average" season ends in a bowl. I.e., 6-7 wins on average instead of 2-3 wins. The fact that Cut is using Duke's academic reputation to recruit more nationally while not completely giving up on local talent may mean that Duke is in just as good of a position as the bigger NC schools to go beyond that middling level. We'll see.

I will say that I think the recent success plus the stadium upgrades will make hiring the next coach much easier for Duke. That, in and of itself, is a major victory IMO.

ChillinDuke
07-17-2015, 04:22 PM
By this logic, it sounds as if Wallace Wade Stadium should be called Cameron Outdoor Stadium, since Coach Eddie Cameron and the Duke Football team def. Alabama in the 1945 Sugar Bowl. OR Bill Murray Stadium would be the other name that makes the most sense given this criteria.

I may be missing your sarcasm. But I am also not well-versed in Duke Football history going back to the first half of the 20th century. In either event, apologies for my shortcomings.

A singular Sugar Bowl win does not, in and of itself, deserve a field naming. Consistent Sugar Bowl wins, and consistent national relevance and top-flight quality football teams (on and off the field) across a decade or decades is the stuff legends are made of. That's how you become legendary. Build a top-flight, name brand, national program.

Cut has built, from essentially nothing, a good football program. To name the field after him, he now needs to make that program name brand.

- Chillin

camion
07-17-2015, 05:10 PM
They could name the turf after coach Cutcliffe.

Then it would be "Cut grass." :)

BD80
07-17-2015, 09:47 PM
They could name the turf after coach Cutcliffe.

Then it would be "Cut grass." :)

Or the end zones, so players could propel themselves through the air to score: a "Cliffe dive"

NYBri
07-17-2015, 10:35 PM
Frankly, I don't really care what they call the field as long as we win on it.

Ima Facultiwyfe
07-17-2015, 10:36 PM
If you are reading here,Mr. Brooks, wouldn't it be a beautiful and generous gesture to just say thanks but no thanks to naming the field after you? After all you do have a building with your name on it already. It would allow the field to be named for a hero designated in the future and your gift would keep on giving.
Love, Ima

Reilly
07-17-2015, 11:19 PM
... "Duke" is much more recognizable than "Trinity College (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_College)" or "Trinity University (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_University)."

Is that because Duke made that 1984 'hot colleges' NYTimes Magazine cover and the other is just the triune God?

Reilly
07-17-2015, 11:30 PM
Matt Brooks kicked the 50+ yarder to beat Clemson in the dark, dark days of Duke football -- I say name it after him.

I ended up eavesdropping on Mr. Brooks's conversation before the 2009 @Army game (Leon Wright back-to-back!; Renfree's first TD!), and he was talking about how he offered to stop the plane to pick up Mr. Pascal on the way up to West Point, but Bob couldn't make it. (And no, he didn't sound arrogant and came off humbly, actually.) I have no problems with naming the field after him -- the man seems like a massive supporter of football who was contributing mightily when nobody else connected to Duke seemed to give a damn. Cut knows where his bread is buttered and the resources it takes and I bet he's grateful for the support and not begrudging the naming at all. Cut's a people person -- his rewards are the lives shaped and the experiences lived.

OldPhiKap
07-17-2015, 11:33 PM
Matt Brooks kicked the 50+ yarder to beat Clemson in the dark, dark days of Duke football -- I say name it after him.

I ended up eavesdropping on Mr. Brooks's conversation before the 2009 @Army game (Leon Wright back-to-back!; Renfree's first TD!), and he was talking about how he offered to stop the plane to pick up Mr. Pascal on the way up to West Point, but Bob couldn't make it. (And no, he didn't sound arrogant and came off humbly, actually.) I have no problems with naming the field after him -- the man seems like a massive supporter of football who was contributing mightily when nobody else connected to Duke seemed to give a damn. Cut knows where his bread is buttered and the resources it takes and I bet he's grateful for the support and not begrudging the naming at all. Cut's a people person -- his rewards are the lives shaped and the experiences lived.

Massive props for this story!

DevilWearsPrada
07-19-2015, 07:50 AM
If you are reading here,Mr. Brooks, wouldn't it be a beautiful and generous gesture to just say thanks but no thanks to naming the field after you? After all you do have a building with your name on it already. It would allow the field to be named for a hero designated in the future and your gift would keep on giving.
Love, Ima

Good Point, Ima !

It is a true blessing to have wonderful donors like the Brooks family that keep the gift of large donations continuing to the Duke Football Program!

budwom
07-19-2015, 08:09 AM
and there I was about to give twelve million bucks to get the field named after me, and along comes Brooks! WTF!

Regarding Cutcliffe, I see his name on something in the near future if we continue our rate of improvement. A lot of stadium names come and go, a lot of
things are possible. Try to find Brendan Byrne Arena these days for example...

sagegrouse
07-19-2015, 08:26 AM
and there I was about to give twelve million bucks to get the field named after me, and along comes Brooks! WTF!

Regarding Cutcliffe, I see his name on something in the near future if we continue our rate of improvement. A lot of stadium names come and go, a lot of
things are possible. Try to find Brendan Byrne Arena these days for example...

Re-naming? Hah! The best example is Avery Fisher Hall at Lincoln Center, home to the NY Philharmonic. "Entertainment mogul" David Geffen came up with $100 million dollars to renovate the Hall. The Fisher family objected and threatened legal action. Outcome: the Fisher heirs got $15 million and other things to back away.

Reilly
07-19-2015, 09:35 AM
That's interesting about the NYPhil. How much would $10 million in 1973 dollars be worth today (what Avery Fisher donated)? I wonder where the NYPhil will play for the two seasons it is displaced. And I wonder what sort of contractual rights the Fisher family had -- guess it was in writing that that the hall would be named after Avery Fisher in perpetuity?

Reilly
07-19-2015, 09:38 AM
... Try to find Brendan Byrne Arena these days for example...

Easy -- you start at Jack Kent Cooke Stadium, head north on I-95, pass by PSInet Stadium, and then you're there in a couple hours, I believe.

Ima Facultiwyfe
07-19-2015, 10:34 AM
My personal favorite would have been "Iron Duke Field".
Love, Ima

nyesq83
07-20-2015, 01:19 PM
They are Duke.

WE ARE DUKE.

Be thankful for their generosity.

There are many at Duke who resent the money spent on sports, some - like Orin Starn - have pushed for de-emphasizing sports.

And yet, our student-athletes are some of the best academic achievers in the country, not just the ACC.

Complaining about the result of the generosity of the Brooks family is just plain silly, in my humble opinion.

The season can't start soon enough for me.

"Duke Football jones, I got a Duke Football jones, I got a Duke Football jones, oh baby oo-oo-ooh!"

flyingdutchdevil
07-20-2015, 01:21 PM
They are Duke.

WE ARE DUKE.

Be thankful for their generosity.

There are many at Duke who resent the money spent on sports, some - like Orin Starn - have pushed for de-emphasizing sports.

And yet, our student-athletes are some of the best academic achievers in the country, not just the ACC.

Complaining about the result of the generosity of the Brooks family is just plain silly, in my humble opinion.

The season can't start soon enough for me.

"Duke Football jones, I got a Duke Football jones, I got a Duke Football jones, oh baby oo-oo-ooh!"

Thanks for this note. I agree completely (although I have to admit that I'm not a big football fan).

johnb
07-20-2015, 03:10 PM
... OR Bill Murray Stadium would be the other name that makes the most sense given this criteria.

I like the idea of Bill Murray Stadium since at least we could probably arrange for the naming ceremony to be funny.

DukieInKansas
07-20-2015, 04:43 PM
Love, Ima

He can always make the request to rename the field in the future, too. :D

Faustus
07-20-2015, 07:45 PM
Actually, I think Northwestern just a few years back DID simply remove the name of their football stadium, formerly Ryan Stadium, when a newer family ponied up a pile of $$$ and bingo -- new name for it, and Ryan... obliterated and forgotten. I don't know the details, but that sounded pretty reprehensible to me if I got the story correctly (which I might not have...).

Like most of us here I'm not generally wild about this spreading disease of 'naming rights' to almost everything from buildings to water fountains, but also like most everyone else here, I realize the economic environment, and also at least the preference on a sliding ascale of revulsion from families who at least had a connection and love for their school, to simple eogotists with masses of cash to toss around, to corporations who have longstanding connections with an area (Pittsburgh Steeler fans can't really mind a stadium named after the Heinz family), to at the bottom of the list corporations just looking for tax breaks and advertizing recognition (like the awful and aforementioned Yum! Center, and I think the exclamation mark is an actual part of the official name). That last category is where I'd draw the line, if I could afford to do so.

But just remember, there's nothing new about this. Just ask Gonville & Caius, Sidney Sussex, or Clare Colleges in Cambridge, and Pembroke, Balliol or Merton Colleges in Oxford. Or even before that, pretty much any quaint English village or town goes back to some Viking or Anglo-Saxon powerful local thug who strong-armed people into calling settlements Edin's Burgh or whatever they'd become. What are you going to do? Let's just not have a Chik-fil-A Field or something horrible like that.

DU82
07-20-2015, 08:17 PM
Let's just not have a Chik-fil-A Field or something horrible like that.

Well, that would put a stop to Sunday games, though!

opossum
07-21-2015, 12:54 AM
It sounds like the Brooks family deserves a lot of credit for dragging the Duke football program out of the mud. Look at interviews of Cutcliffe about the improvements in recruiting Duke has made, and he always mentions the practice facility (going from a 80 yard outdoor field to a 100-yard indoor field where elite NFL quarterbacks come to train) and the football building (swanky locker rooms, etc.). Recruits care about that kind of stuff, and those upgrades have helped Cut accomplish what he has. Both the indoor field and the building are named after the Brooks family, so I assume they had a lot to do with getting those built too. I'm glad Duke is giving them the credit they deserve -- their name should be closely associated with Duke football, even though their role has been less public than David Cutcliffe's role.

And this doesn't seem to be the least bit "corporate" or "commercial" to me. David Brooks is an alumnus who has obviously been very successful, and is giving back to Duke. Plus they had a kid playing football for Duke during the Franks/Roof era. It's not like they're naming it the Phoenix American Insurance Field at Wallace Wade Stadium.

I admire Cut as much as anyone here, and he's earned his WW-style bronze bust already even if he quits tomorrow, but it's way too soon for anything beyond that. I think when he retires we can look back and decide then whether Wade-Cutcliffe Stadium or Brooks-Cutcliffe Field should happen. I am certain Cut will have accomplished a lot more when he retires than he has now, and if we're going to honor him by putting his name on a facility, let's include all those future accomplishments too. There will be many, I'm sure.

On the other hand, if Cut wins a College Football Championship or two, I'd be open to putting his name on it immediately and dropping Wade altogether after Cut retires.

Indoor66
07-21-2015, 08:06 AM
It sounds like the Brooks family deserves a lot of credit for dragging the Duke football program out of the mud. Look at interviews of Cutcliffe about the improvements in recruiting Duke has made, and he always mentions the practice facility (going from a 80 yard outdoor field to a 100-yard indoor field where elite NFL quarterbacks come to train) and the football building (swanky locker rooms, etc.). Recruits care about that kind of stuff, and those upgrades have helped Cut accomplish what he has. Both the indoor field and the building are named after the Brooks family, so I assume they had a lot to do with getting those built too. I'm glad Duke is giving them the credit they deserve -- their name should be closely associated with Duke football, even though their role has been less public than David Cutcliffe's role.

And this doesn't seem to be the least bit "corporate" or "commercial" to me. David Brooks is an alumnus who has obviously been very successful, and is giving back to Duke. Plus they had a kid playing football for Duke during the Franks/Roof era. It's not like they're naming it the Phoenix American Insurance Field at Wallace Wade Stadium.

I admire Cut as much as anyone here, and he's earned his WW-style bronze bust already even if he quits tomorrow, but it's way too soon for anything beyond that. I think when he retires we can look back and decide then whether Wade-Cutcliffe Stadium or Brooks-Cutcliffe Field should happen. I am certain Cut will have accomplished a lot more when he retires than he has now, and if we're going to honor him by putting his name on a facility, let's include all those future accomplishments too. There will be many, I'm sure.

On the other hand, if Cut wins a College Football Championship or two, I'd be open to putting his name on it immediately and dropping Wade altogether after Cut retires.

I like and mostly agree with your post. I only take issue with the last sentence. We should NEVER drop Wallace Wade (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallace_Wade). He is the history and foundation upon which any and all Duke Football was, is and can be built.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-21-2015, 09:48 AM
I like and mostly agree with your post. I only take issue with the last sentence. We should NEVER drop Wallace Wade (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallace_Wade). He is the history and foundation upon which any and all Duke Football was, is and can be built.
I agree. If anything, more should be made of who Wallace Wade was and what he accomplished. It may be noted that his legacy and accomplishments are well known and celebrated in Alabama despite that fact that he left there in 1931 to go to Duke.... not only is there a larger than life statue of him at the stadium, a street beside the stadium bears his name.

A good source of information about Wallace Wade and what a giant he was/is among coaches can be found in Lewis Bowling's biography of him. Bear Bryant credited him with making Alabama football a nationally recognized program and establishing the foundation that's kept it there over time.

budwom
07-21-2015, 12:45 PM
It makes for interesting discussion.

Would anyone consider changing the name of Cameron Indoor Stadium, previously known as Duke Indoor Stadium? I sure would.
No offense to Eddie Cameron, with whom I was very familiar, but if someone wanted to somehow get K in the name (beyond Coach K Court) I sure wouldn't object.
(Cameron was AD the entire time I wrote for the Chronicle).
Too bad Krzyzewski doesn't roll off the tongue ....

dukelifer
07-21-2015, 08:24 PM

Would anyone consider changing the name of Cameron Indoor Stadium, previously known as Duke Indoor Stadium? I sure would.
No offense to Eddie Cameron, with whom I was very familiar, but if someone wanted to somehow get K in the name (beyond Coach K Court) I sure wouldn't object.

Cameron has achieved legendary status. Not sure why change it. K has a court, a ville and a Center on campus. That is a lot.

duke09hms
07-21-2015, 10:17 PM

I don't know anything about Eddie Cameron, but I'd be against this idea. Too much history has been accomplished IN Cameron Indoor Stadium. To change the name away from Cameron Indoor would weaken the links to the great achievements that have occurred there. Generations of Americans have heard of Cameron Indoor to the point where CIS is almost synonymous with Duke Basketball.

Northwestern's example of changing the name of Ryan Field or Ryan Stadium isn't applicable because no offense, I've never once heard of Northwestern's Ryan Stadium. At Duke's rate of construction, I guarantee there will be something big for K to have his name on in the near future. Krzyzewski Athletics Campus or something (though that would make life tough for his successor).

Duvall
07-21-2015, 10:24 PM
At Duke's rate of construction, I guarantee there will be something big for K to have his name on in the near future. Krzyzewski Athletics Campus or something (though that would make life tough for his successor).

They've already sold the name of the athletic campus.

Indoor66
07-21-2015, 10:49 PM
I don't know anything about Eddie Cameron, but I'd be against this idea. Too much history has been accomplished IN Cameron Indoor Stadium. To change the name away from Cameron Indoor would weaken the links to the great achievements that have occurred there. Generations of Americans have heard of Cameron Indoor to the point where CIS is almost synonymous with Duke Basketball.

Northwestern's example of changing the name of Ryan Field or Ryan Stadium isn't applicable because no offense, I've never once heard of Northwestern's Ryan Stadium. At Duke's rate of construction, I guarantee there will be something big for K to have his name on in the near future. Krzyzewski Athletics Campus or something (though that would make life tough for his successor).

Maybe you should read up on Eddie Cameron (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Cameron). He was a wonderful man and planned the building of Duke Indoor Stadium - that opened in 1940 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameron_Indoor_Stadium). Learn the history and you will understand why many of us feel some reverence for some of these names/people.

uh_no
08-29-2015, 08:12 PM
was at usher orientation today...

Staff are not allowed to refer to it as "wallace wade stadium" it must be "brooks field," or if you must, "brooks field at wallace wade stadium"

I appreciate the money....but hate the insistence at trying to push as much history to the way side as possible. It's only a matter of time before they want to pull the WW off the place entirely.

Has anyone seen any adverts? are they including the text "wallace wade" or not?

diablesseblu
08-29-2015, 09:23 PM
They've already sold the name of the athletic campus.

I must have missed this. Has it been announced?

Jarhead
08-29-2015, 09:45 PM
To me it seems as if tagging the new name just for a donation of $13,000,000 is a pretty good stretch. I would say that, adjusted for inflation, the value that Wallace Wade and the man that recruited him, Eddie Cameron, brought to Duke far exceeds the cost of the needed renovations to Wallace Wade Stadium. In fact the entire campaign for $3.25 billion makes the Wallace Wade part of it a drop in the bucket. If we aren't careful we may find that the University will be purged of all of the other people who made Duke what it is including the Duke family.

-jk
08-29-2015, 10:23 PM
To me it seems as if tagging the new name just for a donation of $13,000,000 is a pretty good stretch. I would say that, adjusted for inflation, the value that Wallace Wade and the man that recruited him, Eddie Cameron, brought to Duke far exceeds the cost of the needed renovations to Wallace Wade Stadium. In fact the entire campaign for $3.25 billion makes the Wallace Wade part of it a drop in the bucket. If we aren't careful we may find that the University will be purged of all of the other people who made Duke what it is including the Duke family.

Yeah, and the Deryl Hart Reading Room is long gone, too... <sigh>

-jk

nyesq83
08-31-2015, 05:28 PM

How about renaming it Kunshan University?

"K" University!

Bwaaaahaaahaaaa

-jk
08-31-2015, 06:17 PM
How about renaming it Kunshan University?

"K" University!

Bwaaaahaaahaaaa

"[A]lthough Duke University agrees to accept certain course work from Duke Kunshan University to be applied toward an award from Duke University, that course work may not be accepted by other colleges or universities in transfer, even if it appears on a transcript from Duke University."

Ouch (https://dku.edu.cn/en/about/duke-kunshan)!

Is this thing viable?

-jk

uh_no
08-31-2015, 08:19 PM
"[A]lthough Duke University agrees to accept certain course work from Duke Kunshan University to be applied toward an award from Duke University, that course work may not be accepted by other colleges or universities in transfer, even if it appears on a transcript from Duke University."

Ouch (https://dku.edu.cn/en/about/duke-kunshan)!

Is this thing viable?

-jk

It hasn't been for years. did you read the leaked consultant's report?

msdukie
08-31-2015, 10:06 PM
I must have missed this. Has it been announced?

Not officially, but all the Iron Dukes' documents show that the "naming rights have been reserved."

In fact, lots of parts of the athletic campus have been named and not announced yet.

oldnavy
09-01-2015, 04:08 PM
I've got a whole clothing store chain named after me and it didn't cost me a dime!!

devildeac
09-01-2015, 04:09 PM
I've got a whole clothing store chain named after me and it didn't cost me a dime!!

How are those profits coming along?;):rolleyes:

oldnavy
09-01-2015, 04:25 PM
How are those profits coming along?;):rolleyes:

Oh, there's no money involved, but I was told that I would achieve total consciousness on my death bed!

crimsondevil
09-01-2015, 05:01 PM
I suppose that's true. Wallace Wade got the stadium name after winning 6 conference titles. The modern era is more competitive though in the 14-team ACC.

Not sure if you meant to imply the modern era is more competitive b/c of an ACC with 14 teams, but the Southern Conference had 15 teams for most of Wade's tenure.

OldPhiKap
09-01-2015, 05:05 PM
Oh, there's no money involved, but I was told that I would achieve total consciousness on my death bed!

So you've got that going for you. Which is nice.

Olympic Fan
09-01-2015, 06:36 PM
Not sure if you meant to imply the modern era is more competitive b/c of an ACC with 14 teams, but the Southern Conference had 15 teams for most of Wade's tenure.

When Wade took the Duke job in 1931, the Southern Conference included 23 members, including the majority of the modern ACC and SEC -- plus a few others, such as Washington & Lee and the University of the South. Wade went 3-3-1 in conference in his first season and finished 8th ... a year later, his second Duke team went 5-3 in conference and finished 9th!

After the 1932 season, the Southern Conference split with the 10 schools in Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina remaining in the Southern Conference, while the other 13 teams broke off to form the SEC.

But it didn't remain a 10-team league long. In 1936, six new teams joined the league and Virginia left -- bringing the Southern Conference to 15 school. It stayed hat way until Wade left for WWII. When he returned in time for the 1946 season, George Washington was added as a 16th member. In 1950, in his last year, West Virginia was added as a 17th member.

So crimsondevil is basically right -- the Southern Conference was at 15 members for the heart of Wake's tenure -- but it also fluctuated between 10 and 23 members while he was at Duke.

(Forgive the history lesson .. I'm just killing time while waiting or the Frank Jackson announcement).

dudog84
09-02-2015, 12:20 AM
Not officially, but all the Iron Dukes' documents show that the "naming rights have been reserved."

In fact, lots of parts of the athletic campus have been named and not announced yet.

Yeah, I'm sure most of you have gotten the mailing from the Iron Dukes in the past week or two. Finally got around to looking at it, looks like about a third of everything is reserved. I'll bet a lot more has been snatched up since then (looks like the best bargain is the concession stand for $250K :)). Although the field was supposed to go for $20M (maybe the rest is pledged).

Sorry Iron Dukes, all my millions (when they get here) will be going to animal rescue. I like my sports, but it's not my priority. To each his own. I was a Steelers fan 10 years before I became a Blue Devils fan, and I tossed all my Steelers gear last week.

One more interesting tidbit from the mailing, it appears the cost to attend Duke is now about $70K/year. Wow. I think my last year (31 years ago) it had just passed 10K. Would not want to be in high school now. Regardless of the aid package, not sure my parents would go into debt with me for that much.