PDA

View Full Version : Meeting the newest Blue Devils

JasonEvans
07-16-2015, 10:38 AM
There have been posts in the Marshall birthday thread with Marshall interviewing some of the freshmen. Well, I came across this one of Grayson interviewing Chase Jeter and it really made me laugh. The beginning features a series of bloopers as Chase keeps on making Grayson laugh so much that Grayson cannot even start the interview. The end contains a discussion of Jeter's hair. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWkxgOofJ2M

-Jason "it is the off-season, gotta find something to keep us entertained!" Evans

Dev11
07-16-2015, 10:42 AM
-Jason "it is the off-season, gotta find something to keep us entertained!" Evans

...after you've spent an hour listening to us talk to/about Shane Battier.

Furniture
07-22-2015, 09:12 PM
http://youtu.be/sYMEY1orR8A

Goodness that boy is lanky!

Newton_14
07-22-2015, 09:52 PM

Yeah but dude can jump and has game too. The future is bright!!

gep
07-23-2015, 01:19 AM

I agree... wow, I didn't realize how lanky... or even "bony" he is... Doesn't seem like he has the frame to bulk up. But what do I know. :cool:

DukeDevil
07-23-2015, 07:27 AM

Oh man I hope the crazies take after that "Bran don don DONNNNNNNN" that Marshall put out there...

JasonEvans
07-23-2015, 10:43 AM
Brandon's nickname is Avatar!! How awesome! He does look a little bit like the Na'vi, with his long arms and thin frame.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/jamescameronsavatar/images/4/41/Avatars_playing_basketball_2.JPG/revision/latest?cb=20100506160444

CDu
07-23-2015, 11:29 AM
I agree... wow, I didn't realize how lanky... or even "bony" he is... Doesn't seem like he has the frame to bulk up. But what do I know. :cool:

Yeah, I think he's the skinniest major recruit I've seen. It hasn't seemed to affect his game, but it definitely is hard to see him defending college PFs for an extended period of time. Time will tell of course.

Henderson
07-23-2015, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I think he's the skinniest major recruit I've seen. It hasn't seemed to affect his game, but it definitely is hard to see him defending college PFs for an extended period of time. Time will tell of course.

"But Ingram slices between the two defenders and slams home the rebound. Holy cow that young fellow has some agility."

MChambers
07-23-2015, 12:08 PM
Physically, he reminds me of Tony Lang, who was very thin as a freshman. Obviously, Ingram is a more talented player, so I don't think that comparison is particularly instructive.

flyingdutchdevil
07-23-2015, 12:14 PM
Physically, he reminds me of Tony Lang, who was very thin as a freshman. Obviously, Ingram is a more talented player, so I don't think that comparison is particularly instructive.

Really? I'm trying to find pictures of Lang as a freshman (or in high school) but to no avail. Lang must have really filled out, cus he looks like a college basketball player in all his pictures.

Ingram is rail thin. As CDu mentioned, I've never seen a thinner high level recruit. I even think John Henson was more "filled out" in high school than Ingram (Ingram has wider shoulders, but that's all because of bone structure and not muscle development).

Is it going to be an issue? I hope not, especially if Ingram is more of a perimeter player.

MChambers
07-23-2015, 02:30 PM
Really? I'm trying to find pictures of Lang as a freshman (or in high school) but to no avail. Lang must have really filled out, cus he looks like a college basketball player in all his pictures.
I know it's not definitive, but he's listed here as 6'8", 205:

http://www.basketballreference.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=LANGAN02

flyingdutchdevil
07-23-2015, 02:41 PM
I know it's not definitive, but he's listed here as 6'8", 205:

http://www.basketballreference.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=LANGAN02

Weight is a weird thing. It is solid measure of strength and readiness.

But players can have very minimal muscle development and still weight a lot. It's in the bones. Bone density is ~ 1.75 g/cm3 while muscle is only 1.06g/cm3. And looking at Ingram, he's got a solid bone frame (those shoulders are pretty broad. And that's a product of bone formation, not muscle).

Unfortunately, there isn't a measurement for players that measures muscle mass. We can only use weight (which is a combination of muscle, bone, fat, organ size, etc) and visuals. Weight-wise, Ingram is on the light-side but it's not shocking. Visually, he is the skinniest basketball player I've ever seen. But, muscle length is more important than muscle thickness (he's got a ridiculous 7'3" wingspan), so maybe Ingram is much stronger than he looks.

itshoopsbabee
07-23-2015, 03:05 PM

But players can have very minimal muscle development and still weight a lot. It's in the bones. Bone density is ~ 1.75 g/cm3 while muscle is only 1.06g/cm3. And looking at Ingram, he's got a solid bone frame (those shoulders are pretty broad. And that's a product of bone formation, not muscle).

Unfortunately, there isn't a measurement for players that measures muscle mass. We can only use weight (which is a combination of muscle, bone, fat, organ size, etc) and visuals. Weight-wise, Ingram is on the light-side but it's not shocking. Visually, he is the skinniest basketball player I've ever seen. But, muscle length is more important than muscle thickness (he's got a ridiculous 7'3" wingspan), so maybe Ingram is much stronger than he looks.

I've heard his kidney mass is really quite high, top 10- all-time-ish. So he's got that going for him. Not sure how many cinderblocks it is exactly though.

Dev11
07-23-2015, 03:08 PM
Kevin Durant was a stick at Texas, and he turned out ok. He couldn't bench press his own weight at the combine, if I recall correctly.

CDu
07-23-2015, 03:51 PM
But, muscle length is more important than muscle thickness (he's got a ridiculous 7'3" wingspan), so maybe Ingram is much stronger than he looks.

Muscle length is more important than muscle thickness? I would have thought that muscle mass (regardless of length or thickness) is the most important, and neither the length of the muscle nor the thickness of the muscle have a lot of meaning independently.

Regardless, given his lanky frame, it's hard to envision that he has muscle mass. Say he's 6'8", 200lbs. He probably isn't as strong as a 5'11", 200lb person, because presumably his bones make up a greater proportion of that 200lbs than a 5'11" person (i.e., less muscle mass). And he probably has less muscle mass than the average 6'8", 200lb person because of how lanky his arms are (again, more of his 200lbs being comprised of bones).

flyingdutchdevil
07-23-2015, 04:04 PM
Muscle length is more important than muscle thickness? I would have thought that muscle mass (regardless of length or thickness) is the most important, and neither the length of the muscle nor the thickness of the muscle have a lot of meaning independently.

Regardless, given his lanky frame, it's hard to envision that he has muscle mass. Say he's 6'8", 200lbs. He probably isn't as strong as a 5'11", 200lb person, because presumably his bones make up a greater proportion of that 200lbs than a 5'11" person (i.e., less muscle mass). And he probably has less muscle mass than the average 6'8", 200lb person because of how lanky his arms are (again, more of his 200lbs being comprised of bones).

Taken from the interwebs: "Persons with relatively long muscles have greater potential for developing size and strength than persons with relatively short muscles." If a 6'8" athlete and a 5'11" athlete have the same arm circumference (ie the number of muscle strands is identical), the 6'8" athlete has more strength. Also, given the length, he would also have more muscle mass. So, you are correct. But don't underestimate the strength of length! (no dirty jokes)

Edouble
07-23-2015, 04:09 PM
I've heard his kidney mass is really quite high, top 10- all-time-ish. So he's got that going for him. Not sure how many cinderblocks it is exactly though.

How would that help? That would mean less of his weight was muscle.

CDu
07-23-2015, 04:40 PM
Taken from the interwebs: "Persons with relatively long muscles have greater potential for developing size and strength than persons with relatively short muscles." If a 6'8" athlete and a 5'11" athlete have the same arm circumference (ie the number of muscle strands is identical), the 6'8" athlete has more strength. Also, given the length, he would also have more muscle mass. So, you are correct. But don't underestimate the strength of length! (no dirty jokes)

Ah, so what you are saying is longer muscles are better than shorter muscles because longer muscles have the potential to acquire more mass.

So Ingram has the potential to gain more strength than a shorter person. But a shorter person with the same overall body mass would presumably be stronger right now, because that shorter person would presumably have more muscle mass. But Ingram would presumably, with enough time, have the potential to get stronger than the shorter person, because he has the potential to have more total muscle mass.

Pghdukie
07-23-2015, 06:03 PM
Tough to measure the size of the heart. As the old adage says " not the size of the dog, but the fight in the dog". And I add - how many cinder blocks ?

Duke76
07-23-2015, 10:15 PM

Biebs, Et al.,

this has the makings as a serious contender to the cinder block discussion from years past.....what else is there to discuss on hot summer nights.

kAzE
07-23-2015, 11:57 PM

Ingram is rail thin. As CDu mentioned, I've never seen a thinner high level recruit. I even think John Henson was more "filled out" in high school than Ingram (Ingram has wider shoulders, but that's all because of bone structure and not muscle development).

Is it going to be an issue? I hope not, especially if Ingram is more of a perimeter player.

Not sure if this guy counts as a "high level" recruit (he was top 40), but he was pretty bony as a guy coming out of high school:

I couldn't help but notice the striking resemblance . . .

dukelifer
07-24-2015, 07:57 AM

It would be a huge issue except for one thing- Ingram is a freak athlete. He is amazingly coordinated and quick. And he appears to be strong enough to lift a basketball over his head and propell it accurately into a hoop 10 ft off the ground. The combination of being a freak athlete and a great shooter should give him some advantages. I don't expect we will see him banging down low for a while, however.

CDu
07-24-2015, 08:36 AM
It would be a huge issue except for one thing- Ingram is a freak athlete. He is amazingly coordinated and quick. And he appears to be strong enough to lift a basketball over his head and propell it accurately into a hoop 10 ft off the ground. The combination of being a freak athlete and a great shooter should give him some advantages. I don't expect we will see him banging down low for a while, however.

I don't think his weight/frame will limit him at all on offense. And I don't think it will hurt him at all defending on the perimeter. The entire question is whether or not it will prevent him from defending the PF position.

ChillinDuke
07-24-2015, 08:51 AM

In real life? Or on DBR?

Because I have a different one-word answer for each.

- Chillin

westwall
07-24-2015, 09:03 AM

-- ? Are you just trying to tempt Kedsy again??

roywhite
08-03-2015, 11:36 PM

Brandon is on campus, getting adjusted, and already building weight and strength.

Summer Grind: Brandon Ingram (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZYicxWKQt8&app=desktop)

SCMatt33
08-03-2015, 11:43 PM
Brandon is on campus, getting adjusted, and already building weight and strength.

Summer Grind: Brandon Ingram (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZYicxWKQt8&app=desktop)

I noticed some new wall decorations at the practice court in this video! Lookin' good. :cool:

Jim3k
08-04-2015, 02:35 AM
Manute Bol was also terribly skinny. He was 7' 6" and has a listed weight of 201. Not sure where that weight measure came from, but it's probably from his pro years. Here's Bol's bio from Wiki. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manute_Bol) If that was his pro weight, I wonder what he weighed as a college freshman. He came to college basketball later than most, so he may have been at the 200 lb. level by then. He had an NBA career that last a little over 10 years. His athleticism was excellent--a good leaper and one of the all-time great shot blockers. He died in 2010.

Main point is that Ingram's physique is probably not an issue for now. He will no doubt grow stronger and heftier. Even if he doesn't turn into a huge man, he has Bol's track before him.

DukeFanSince1990
08-04-2015, 08:57 AM

I almost don't like him for making those of the wall dunks look so easy.

flyingdutchdevil
08-04-2015, 09:09 AM
I noticed some new wall decorations at the practice court in this video! Lookin' good. :cool:

Ingram is gonna make some Gerald Henderson-like plays this year. He's gonna be fun to watch!

devildeac
08-04-2015, 12:13 PM
Ingram is gonna make some Gerald Henderson-like plays this year. He's gonna be fun to watch!

Wait! Is hanstravel coming back to chappaheeya, too?;)