PDA

View Full Version : The Coastal Race

Olympic Fan
07-15-2015, 01:25 PM
ESPN has a story up looking ahead to the ACC Coastal Race:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/83201/acc-media-days-preview-coastal-division

It got me pumped up. They don't say it, but I will -- the 2015 ACC Coastal Race is as wide open as any division or conference in the country. ANYBODY in the division can win it. The race will be shaped by both the schedule and the emergence of a handful of players.

Here's my take:

-- Georgia Tech: the defending champs and the preseason favorite, basically because they return QB Justin Thomas and 4 of 5 offensive line starters. Also eight defensive starters. The do need skill performers beyond Thomas ... but still a pretty solid lineup. But they have a problem -- their two Atlantic Division games are against Clemson and FSU. That's about as tough as it gets. And they didn't exactly dominate their Coastal foes last year -- they lost at home to Duke and on the road at UNC and edged Va Tech by a field goal.

-- Duke: the 2014 division champs would have repeated if Ross Martin, the most accurate FG kicker in Duke history had converted a makeable FG against VPI. Duke returns a very nice core from last year's 9-win team, but must replace its QB and its most explosive playmaker. I will say this about Sirk -- he has better resume at this point than Justin Thomas did when he stepped into the starting QB job at GT last year. Duke also has a huge advantage in the race since the Devils play the two weakest teams in the Atlantic -- Wake Forest (still rebuilding) and Boston College (which lost its entire OL -- every player -- and the nation's best rushing QB off last year's 6-6 team).

-- North Carolina: Nobody has more coming back than UNC -- 10 offensive starters back off a solid offense ... seven starters back off a terrible defense. Maybe new defensive coordinator Gene Chizik can help that -- he may have presided over a corrupt Auburn program, but he can coach. UNC gets Wake Forest in the Atlantic, but they also get NC State, which beat them 35-7 last year and seems to be on the rise. Interesting non-conference -- they pay two non FCS opponents

-- Virginia Tech: Dominated the division for years, but has been offensively challenged the last two years. Still a great defense with eight starters returning (nine if you count quality CB Brandon Facyson. who missed last year with an injury). Eight offensive starters back too, although they need to find a game-breaker on that side of the ball. They get BC (which should be a win) and NC State, a tough game, from the Atlantic.

-- Pitt: They do have a new coach in Pat Narduzzi. Nice core returning, including James Conner, the best RB in the ACC, WR Tyler Boyd, who may be the best WR in the league, and eight offensive starters. Seven defensive starters back. They get Syracuse (should be a win) and Louisville (a tough game) from the Atlantic.

-- Miami: Everybody loves the Canes because of the name, but they have never won a division title in the ACC. They lose some real skill players -- Duke Johnson, Clive Wolford and Phillip Dorsett -- but they have a more-experienced Brad Kayla at QB. But only four offensive and five defensive starters back. They also get the FSU/Clemson matchups from the Atlantic.

-- Virginia: Mike London continues to recruit well ... and to struggle in ACC play. The Cavs have a ton of talent, but maybe not as much as a year ago -- five offensive and five defensive starters back. They lost their best skill guys, but Matt Johns, who has seen a lot of time as Grayson Lambert's backup (and also started some in 2013) is still there. They get Syracuse and Louisville from the Atlantic.

Duke has split with every team in the division over the last two years -- except for going 2-0 vs. Va. (Duke is also 4-0 against its Atlantic fines in '13 and '14). I think 6-2 will win at least a share of the division title --

duke blue brewcrew
07-15-2015, 02:27 PM
ESPN has a story up looking ahead to the ACC Coastal Race:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/83201/acc-media-days-preview-coastal-division

It got me pumped up. They don't say it, but I will -- the 2015 ACC Coastal Race is as wide open as any division or conference in the country. ANYBODY in the division can win it. The race will be shaped by both the schedule and the emergence of a handful of players.

Here's my take:

-- Georgia Tech: the defending champs and the preseason favorite, basically because they return QB Justin Thomas and 4 of 5 offensive line starters. Also eight defensive starters. The do need skill performers beyond Thomas ... but still a pretty solid lineup. But they have a problem -- their two Atlantic Division games are against Clemson and FSU. That's about as tough as it gets. And they didn't exactly dominate their Coastal foes last year -- they lost at home to Duke and on the road at UNC and edged Va Tech by a field goal.

-- Duke: the 2014 division champs would have repeated if Ross Martin, the most accurate FG kicker in Duke history had converted a makeable FG against VPI. Duke returns a very nice core from last year's 9-win team, but must replace its QB and its most explosive playmaker. I will say this about Sirk -- he has better resume at this point than Justin Thomas did when he stepped into the starting QB job at GT last year. Duke also has a huge advantage in the race since the Devils play the two weakest teams in the Atlantic -- Wake Forest (still rebuilding) and Boston College (which lost its entire OL -- every player -- and the nation's best rushing QB off last year's 6-6 team).

-- North Carolina: Nobody has more coming back than UNC -- 10 offensive starters back off a solid offense ... seven starters back off a terrible defense. Maybe new defensive coordinator Gene Chizik can help that -- he may have presided over a corrupt Auburn program, but he can coach. UNC gets Wake Forest in the Atlantic, but they also get NC State, which beat them 35-7 last year and seems to be on the rise. Interesting non-conference -- they pay two non FCS opponents

-- Virginia Tech: Dominated the division for years, but has been offensively challenged the last two years. Still a great defense with eight starters returning (nine if you count quality CB Brandon Facyson. who missed last year with an injury). Eight offensive starters back too, although they need to find a game-breaker on that side of the ball. They get BC (which should be a win) and NC State, a tough game, from the Atlantic.

-- Pitt: They do have a new coach in Pat Narduzzi. Nice core returning, including James Conner, the best RB in the ACC, WR Tyler Boyd, who may be the best WR in the league, and eight offensive starters. Seven defensive starters back. They get Syracuse (should be a win) and Louisville (a tough game) from the Atlantic.

-- Miami: Everybody loves the Canes because of the name, but they have never won a division title in the ACC. They lose some real skill players -- Duke Johnson, Clive Wolford and Phillip Dorsett -- but they have a more-experienced Brad Kayla at QB. But only four offensive and five defensive starters back. They also get the FSU/Clemson matchups from the Atlantic.

-- Virginia: Mike London continues to recruit well ... and to struggle in ACC play. The Cavs have a ton of talent, but maybe not as much as a year ago -- five offensive and five defensive starters back. They lost their best skill guys, but Matt Johns, who has seen a lot of time as Grayson Lambert's backup (and also started some in 2013) is still there. They get Syracuse and Louisville from the Atlantic.

Duke has split with every team in the division over the last two years -- except for going 2-0 vs. Va. (Duke is also 4-0 against its Atlantic fines in '13 and '14). I think 6-2 will win at least a share of the division title --

First of all, KUDOS on this post. Awesome information and a great breakdown. I tried to spork you, but it wouldn't let me, and said I needed to share the love with others. Reading this got me so fired up...as if i wasn't already, for the beginning of college football! I found this comment by David Hale regarding Duke's "Next Generation" to be interesting,
Building the program was a tall order, but how much Cutcliffe and his veterans can maintain that success through a second generation will be the big question as the Blue Devils get set to open fall camp. There's a lot of truth in the statement. The measure of just how amazing Coach Cut's job in resurrecting the Duke program will be defined by it's continued growth and success. As a fan, it's been an amazing ride already and I have every faith in Coach Cut & Co to keep it going. Duke is replacing some key pieces this year. The important thing to remember with all of this though is, that Duke's recruiting has gotten better with each class. So there is theoretically better talent waiting in the wings to take over positions vacated by graduation & injury. Losing Kelby's playmaking and leadership will hurt. I believe Cash can step in and provide that leadership that is needed for the young and largely inexperienced LB crew that will be led by a 1st year LB, Dwayne Norman. I personally think Sirk has the opportunity to be much better than Boone, and I mean no disrespect to AB when I say that. Time will tell and I can't wait to watch it all unfold!

Bob Green
07-15-2015, 04:32 PM
Kudos to Olympic Fan for a great synopsis! For Duke, a fast start is a must. The questions about Sirk at QB and who steps up at WR will be answered when Georgia Tech arrives in Wallace Wade on September 26 followed by Boston College on October 3. If the required hot start is achieved, the three game stretch of at Virginia Tech (October 24), Miami (October 31) and at North Carolina (November 7) will make or break the Coastal Race for the Blue Devils. I like our chances. It is going to be fun!

OldPhiKap
07-15-2015, 07:59 PM
We have a great path to the top; we have some challenges to get there. This should be a fun year!