PDA

View Full Version : Bloom County 2015

rthomas
07-13-2015, 09:05 AM
Very happy to see this this morning. Welcome back, Opus!

moonpie23
07-13-2015, 01:59 PM
welcome back with a mic-dropping re-entry.....

love LOVE this strip

cspan37421
07-13-2015, 02:22 PM
oh, can you really go home again? Bloom County was perfect for its era. There are rich treasures of hypocrisy and inanity from of our own era to explore, but I'm not convinced the Bloom County characters are the ones to do the work. While I loved to see Steve Dallas get his comeuppance, today's wretched excess is not (IMO) best represented by a preppy, chauvinist lawyer. I have an idea though ....

Breathed has already plumbed the depths of humor and backstory for characters like Milo, Oliver Wendell Jones (my personal fave), and Binkley. IMO the strip would benefit from fresh, interesting characters we don't already know so thoroughly that just about anything done with them now is passé. Opus is fine as an observer of the madness around him, but we need different madness.

OldPhiKap
07-13-2015, 06:48 PM
Very happy to see this this morning. Welcome back, Opus!

I can't tell you how happy this made my Monday!

brevity
07-14-2015, 12:24 AM
Bloom County was perfect for its era. There are rich treasures of hypocrisy and inanity from of our own era to explore, but I'm not convinced the Bloom County characters are the ones to do the work.

Oh, I don't know, I find myself thinking about this particular entry (http://www.thecomicstrips.com/store/add.php?iid=82580&submit=Get+it%21) a lot these days. I should also mention that I have been watching the US version of House of Cards, which features an increasing number of statesmen.

Speaking of streaming political shows, Alpha House on Amazon was created by Garry Trudeau of Doonesbury fame.

OldPhiKap
07-14-2015, 07:20 AM
Oh, I don't know, I find myself thinking about this particular entry (http://www.thecomicstrips.com/store/add.php?iid=82580&submit=Get+it%21) a lot these days. I should also mention that I have been watching the US version of House of Cards, which features an increasing number of statesmen.

Speaking of streaming political shows, Alpha House on Amazon was created by Garry Trudeau of Doonesbury fame.

Gary Trudeau gave the commencement speech at Duke in 1988 (my undergraduate commencement).

YmoBeThere
07-14-2015, 08:04 AM
Gary Trudeau gave the commencement speech at Duke in 1988 (my undergraduate commencement).

So, while you are an OldPhiKap you aren't necessarily an old Phi Kap. Old always being a relative term.

OldPhiKap
07-14-2015, 08:12 AM
So, while you are an OldPhiKap you aren't necessarily an old Phi Kap. Old always being a relative term.

Sometimes it's not the years, it's the miles . . . .

Rich
07-14-2015, 02:24 PM

Actually, it was MY undergraduate commencement, but the rest of your post is accurate. ;)

camion
07-14-2015, 03:26 PM

Old is a relative term. Lots of my relatives are old. :p