PDA

View Full Version : The FSU Implosion

duke blue brewcrew
07-10-2015, 05:43 PM
Things are getting ugly at FSU. First, Freshman QB De'Andre Johnson is suspended indefinitely from the team for allegedly hitting a woman in a bar. Apparently it was caught on video. Here's an ESPN article about the incident: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13149387/deandre-johnson-florida-state-seminoles-suspended-indefinitely. Now RB Dalvin Cook has been charged with battery, for hitting a woman outside of a bar, and has been suspended from the team as well. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13149387/deandre-johnson-florida-state-seminoles-suspended-indefinitely

All of this happens in the wake of the Famous Jameis nightmare for FSU from the 2014 season. What is it about FSU football players staying in the headlines for abusing women, or other stupid crimes? It seems to be a consistent thing for the Seminoles. My assumption is that it comes down to making character sacrifices in the name of talent on the recruiting trail.

devildeac
07-10-2015, 05:54 PM
Things are getting ugly at FSU. First, Freshman QB De'Andre Johnson is suspended indefinitely from the team for allegedly hitting a woman in a bar. Apparently it was caught on video. Here's an ESPN article about the incident: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13149387/deandre-johnson-florida-state-seminoles-suspended-indefinitely. Now RB Dalvin Cook has been charged with battery, for hitting a woman outside of a bar, and has been suspended from the team as well. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13149387/deandre-johnson-florida-state-seminoles-suspended-indefinitely

All of this happens in the wake of the Famous Jameis nightmare for FSU from the 2014 season. What is it about FSU football players staying in the headlines for abusing women, or other stupid crimes? It seems to be a consistent thing for the Seminoles. My assumption is that it comes down to making character sacrifices in the name of talent on the recruiting trail.

Tsk, tsk, this will all be forgotten once official practice starts in early August. :mad::rolleyes:

BD80
07-10-2015, 06:11 PM

These incidents wouldn't be getting so much attention but for the blowback from Jameis. 10 years ago, they get swept under the rug and "play ball." But recently, the local constabulary has received a bit too much attention for not paying attention

Duvall
07-10-2015, 06:16 PM
What is it about FSU football players staying in the headlines for abusing women, or other stupid crimes? It seems to be a consistent thing for the Seminoles. My assumption is that it comes down to making character sacrifices in the name of talent on the recruiting trail.

Probably a combination of a permissive attitude from the university and local authorities and the fact that everyone is now watching FSU.

Bob Green
07-10-2015, 07:03 PM
It is important to me that our fans and the public be aware that I do not tolerate the type of behavior that was captured on video and that was most recently alleged. ... The majority of our players are exemplary, but clearly we must place an even stronger emphasis on this, and I personally promise we will.

Words are cheap so I'll wait and see if Cook is still suspended come September.

NSDukeFan
07-10-2015, 07:18 PM
I was fortunately able to get elaboration on coach Fisher's response with the help of a hall of fame basketball coach..

because of how seriously we take these allegations, we've decided to not only not let Dalvin pick the restaurant for ANY post-practise OR post-game gatherings AND he will run extra sets of lines AND extra steps up the stadium. My work here is done. (Drops the mic?, not sure what that means, but I am trying to improve my internet credibility.

Pghdukie
07-10-2015, 10:08 PM
With the espn report a few weeks ago about the alleged "laxed" attitude law enforcement takes on certain campuses- it will be interesting to watch the outcome of these events.

devildeac
07-10-2015, 11:07 PM

That's pretty cool, Bob, quoting a post by Jimbo. When did he start posting here;):rolleyes: ?

I agree with you, suspecting he'll be kept out of a practice or two this summer and perhaps have no choice in team restaurants for a week or so. :rolleyes:

Addendum: I see NSDukeFan beat be to it by a couple hours or more. Funny stuff, too as he quoted ol' roy's discipline book.

martydoesntfoul
07-11-2015, 03:55 PM
I expect the standard FSU response: Everyone picks on us while ESPN ignores similar incidents at Florida and Alabama. In that regard they employ a UNCheat-like tactic, but this stuff is so disgraceful and reprehensible that I don't even know where to begin.

roywhite
07-11-2015, 04:41 PM
I expect the standard FSU response: Everyone picks on us while ESPN ignores similar incidents at Florida and Alabama. In that regard they employ a UNCheat-like tactic, but this stuff is so disgraceful and reprehensible that I don't even know where to begin.

The UNC response might be:
Well, other students can punch girls, too. We don't see this as an athletic issue.

Jim3k
07-11-2015, 04:58 PM
The UNC response might be:
Well, other students can punch girls, too. We don't see this as an athletic issue.

LOL. HaHaHaHaHa. ROFLMAO.

Good one, Roy!

Bob Green
07-11-2015, 05:57 PM
While watching the John Deere Classic, CBS Evening News blurb stated "violence against women rocks FSU football program." It isn't going to be easy for FSU to ignore the bad press created by the two recent incidents.