PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Tour De France

roywhite
07-10-2015, 10:53 AM
Even with the frequent doping scandals that persist, this is still a great event. Love the drama, the gorgeous countryside, the amazing endurance of the cyclists, and the commentary of Phil and Paul.

Who else is following? How do we like Tejay Van Garderen's chances to be on the podium? Just who is the favorite at this point?

gurufrisbee
07-10-2015, 11:43 AM
One of my long time friends is very into cycling and has started a fantasy league for this (we're in the 2nd year now). I know nothing and following nothing, but try to be a good friend.

I've got: Contador, Pinot, Porte, Cavendish, Bargull, Meintjes, Thomas, and team Tinkoff-Saxo.

If I see those guys are doing well, it makes me happy.

Last summer my first pick was Froome, who promptly got hurt and withdrew. I'm not too good at this yet.

OldPhiKap
07-10-2015, 01:05 PM
On past TdF threads, we have had an agreement not to post results of a day until after the prime time recap which was helpful for those of us who cannot watch the live coverage.

Nasty spill last night, the first stages before the mountains always seem to be crash derby events within the last 3 K.

devil84
07-10-2015, 08:53 PM
I could listen to Phil, Paul, Jens, et. al., all day. What a great team. And the camera crew is outstanding. I think anyone could watch a few hours of the Tour and really enjoy it, if nothing for the visuals.

I could do without all the Minions advertising, though, as I said in another thread.

I'm really excited for Tee Jay, but sad that he moved up because Tony Martin crashed out. I liked Martin's breakaway at the end of Stage 4 to take the Yellow Jersey. It was stunning when he went down so close to the finish (on an uphill, too). I loved how his teammates helped him finish the stage, and astounded when I found out this morning that it was an open fracture of the collar bone. I couldn't believe the mechanic was helping to clip him into his bike (since he couldn't use his left arm), so he could finish. Doesn't seem at all safe to me...and then finding out they did that with an open fracture?! Jees. Not sure if that's crazy or courageous.

Tee Jay doesn't seem to get much attention from the media. At least not yet. Looking forward to seeing him make some waves.

OldPhiKap
07-12-2015, 01:34 PM
Love TTT -- glad it is back in this year's TdF.

roywhite
07-12-2015, 10:14 PM
Love TTT -- glad it is back in this year's TdF.

Yeah, BMC with Tejay got the team time trial stage win. Chris Froome and Team Sky were impressive; Froome maintained the yellow, and Team Sky was only 1 second behind for best team time of the day. Really tough uphill finish. Tejay is in second place overall, with a well deserved rest day Monday, and then on to the Pyrenees.

OldPhiKap
07-12-2015, 10:34 PM
Yeah, BMC with Tejay got the team time trial stage win. Chris Froome and Team Sky were impressive; Froome maintained the yellow, and Team Sky was only 1 second behind for best team time of the day. Really tough uphill finish. Tejay is in second place overall, with a well deserved rest day Monday, and then on to the Pyrenees.

Next stage ends with a mountaintop HC finish. A few big climbers lost real time today. Expect fireworks.

jacone21
07-14-2015, 11:15 PM
Well, Team Sky made a statement today. A couple more days like that and it might be over. Wow! Froome is a machine.

OldPhiKap
07-14-2015, 11:18 PM
Froome has best form early and is putting his marker down. Lots of mountains to come. But yeah, he and his team are hitting it strong.

DukieInKansas
07-22-2015, 10:53 AM
Heading into the Alps

Rest days = :(

OldPhiKap
07-22-2015, 09:07 PM
Heading into the Alps

Rest days = :(

Not everyone, unfortunately. Tough to watch that abandon.

DukieInKansas
07-23-2015, 01:32 AM

Very hard to watch.

roywhite
07-23-2015, 10:14 AM

What a tough event this has been for Americans. There's Lance Armstrong with 7 wins which have been wiped out due to his doping. And there was also Floyd Landis, who stood atop the podium in 2006, before positive doping results from a late stage took down his win.

Have to go back to 1990 for the final win from Greg LeMond.

Good luck to Tejay; hope he bounces back from this. And major props to Froome; a terrific performance thus far (let's hope he's clean!)