PDA

View Full Version : MBB: July Recruiting In-Game Thread

Troublemaker
07-09-2015, 01:20 AM
Let's test-drive this thread and see if it proves to be useful and/or prolific.

News items that go in this thread include (but are not limited to):

* what players Coach K and staff are out watching

* new offers from Duke

* notable performances by Duke recruits

Etc. Stuff like that.

Primer article from Jeff Borzello about the importance of July: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/insider/story/_/id/13213700/your-guide-july-recruiting-period

By the end of this month, Jayson Tatum may commit to Duke.

Troublemaker
07-09-2015, 01:45 AM
Where the staff was: July 8th

Coaches K, Capel, and Scheyer were in Atlanta at the Adidas Uprising championships (equivalent to Nike's Peach Jam). There, they watched Dennis Smith (http://zagsblog.com/duke/duke-goes-three-deep-for-dennis-smith/) (also linked in the Dennis Smith thread) and also:

Clint Jackson ‏@clintjackson1 (https://twitter.com/clintjackson1) 3h3 hours ago (https://twitter.com/clintjackson1/status/618967287492685824)
Coach K, flanked by two Duke assistant coaches, front and center for 6-4 SG/PG Frank Jackson. The Utah combo guard is a priority.

Jody Demling ‏@jdemling (https://twitter.com/jdemling) 6h6 hours ago (https://twitter.com/jdemling/status/618920090344529921)
Rawle Alkins drawing a crowd, including Louisville assistant Ralph Willard. Head coaches here: Roy W., Calipari, Larry Brown, Coach K & more

Meanwhile...

Nate James was in Charlotte at the Under Armour camp, watching Sacha Killeya-Jones

Rick Lewis ‏@Coach_Rick57 (https://twitter.com/Coach_Rick57) 9h9 hours ago (https://twitter.com/Coach_Rick57/status/618890328976699392)Statesville, NC (https://twitter.com/search?q=place%3A4c5840cecd8470bf)
Per source, Duke's Nate James is at the UA camp watching Sacha Killeya-Jones. Duke now recruiting him

Duke95
07-09-2015, 07:52 AM
Good thread.

The folks at TDD seem very confident that Tatum will come to Duke. There is less confidence when it comes to Giles, however.

conmanlhughes
07-09-2015, 10:06 AM
Good thread.

The folks at TDD seem very confident that Tatum will come to Duke. There is less confidence when it comes to Giles, however.

It is not so much as less confident as it is Giles camp is much quieter than Tatum's camp. SLU definitely is a real player for Tatum, but I think we pull it out.

Duke95
07-09-2015, 01:06 PM
It is not so much as less confident as it is Giles camp is much quieter than Tatum's camp. SLU definitely is a real player for Tatum, but I think we pull it out.

I admit that I am cautiously optimistic with Tatum. I think if he comes, that helps us with Giles, it seems.
Still, given the fact that Coach K has been to Giles' b-day party and we seem close with his camp, that gives me some level of hope we see Tatum and Giles suiting up for us.

flyingdutchdevil
07-09-2015, 01:31 PM
I admit that I am cautiously optimistic with Tatum. I think if he comes, that helps us with Giles, it seems.
Still, given the fact that Coach K has been to Giles' b-day party and we seem close with his camp, that gives me some level of hope we see Tatum and Giles suiting up for us.

The SLU vs Duke argument for Tatum is an interesting one.

With SLU, you get to follow in the footsteps of the man you admire the most (your father) and bring additional relevancy to the school/program. With SLU, you get reduced exposure compared to a blue chip school and your chance of winning it all are about, ummmmmmm, 0.0000001%.

With Duke, you go an established school with the greatest living basketball coach. With Duke, you're on ESPN twice a week and you don't need to carry the whole offense by yourself. With Duke, you always gave a strong shot at winning the title. But, with Duke, you don't really have an emotional attachment to the school (yet).

I can't blame Tatum either way. Both are strong arguments. If he chooses Kerlina, then we have a problem.

English
07-09-2015, 04:33 PM
Duke is rolling 3-deep (at the Peach Jam) to see their only offered 2018 recruit, 6'10 Marvin Bagley (per Andrew Slater).

According to recruiting analyst Matt Norlander, "There's this 2018 kid who's already 6'10, hitting 3s and can run-and-dish. His name is Marvin Bagley. He's ridiculous."

Seems like K and staff are getting involved with this kid early, which seems like the way to go for a talent like his. Anybody at the Peach Jam seen Marvin in person yet?

Ichabod Drain
07-09-2015, 04:50 PM
Duke is rolling 3-deep (at the Peach Jam) to see their only offered 2018 recruit, 6'10 Marvin Bagley (per Andrew Slater).

According to recruiting analyst Matt Norlander, "There's this 2018 kid who's already 6'10, hitting 3s and can run-and-dish. His name is Marvin Bagley. He's ridiculous."

Seems like K and staff are getting involved with this kid early, which seems like the way to go for a talent like his. Anybody at the Peach Jam seen Marvin in person yet?

Marvin is already 16, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him reclassify in the next couple years. I've seen videos and yes the kid looks ridiculous.

Troublemaker
07-09-2015, 05:16 PM
Duke is rolling 3-deep (at the Peach Jam)

Yes, it appears our coaches have migrated from Atlanta (Adidas) and made their way over to North Augusta, SC and planted Duke's flag at the Peach Jam.

Since Nike has so many more of the top prospects around the country, I don't think the coaches will be heading back to Atlanta. Yesterday was their one pit stop at Adidas, although Nate James may backfill there after leaving Under Armour's camp and Killeya-Jones.

One last bit from Adidas yesterday, before settling into today's news at Nike. I had missed this tweet in my recap:

Andrew Slater ‏@ASlater247 (https://twitter.com/ASlater247) 23h23 hours ago (https://twitter.com/ASlater247/status/618903362591961088)
Coach K, Shaka Smart, Roy Williams, Johnny Dawkins, Danny Manning, Mike Brey, Scott Drew watching 6'9" Javin DeLaurier'16

Furniture
07-09-2015, 05:23 PM
Sorry if this is rumor mongering but I have a friend who's son studies with Giles. Apparently his grades aren't very good...

BD80
07-09-2015, 05:28 PM
Sorry if this is rumor mongering but I have a friend who's son studies with Giles. Apparently his grades aren't very good...

Tell your friend to get his son to be a better study partner!

devildeac
07-09-2015, 05:34 PM

I think OPK declared his LOIC (level of interest completed) in attending Peach Jam (or was that Eat A Peach?) and reporting but he wasn't going to let anyone know, nor was he not going to give Indoor66 a piece of his mind, even if he didn't ask:rolleyes:. There's too many threads and posts about this to keep up with now. I'd bet he'd answer a PM, but he can be a shifty, evasive and obtuse character sometimes, but, all in all, a great guy.

<confusion and grammar meters on high alert now>

NashvilleDevil
07-09-2015, 06:26 PM

Your friend's son or Giles?

Furniture
07-09-2015, 09:00 PM
Friends son of course!

Troublemaker
07-09-2015, 10:50 PM
July 9th

Coaches K, Capel, and Scheyer were making the rounds at Peach Jam.

I'm not going to post the individual tweets (at least not today), but suffice it to say that Tatum and Giles received a lot of love, as there was always a Duke presence at their games.

Additionally, all three Duke coaches went to see Marvin Bagley, as noted above. The coaches also separately went to check out Michael Porter and Trae Young (who play on the same AAU team) and Wendell Carter.

Finally, of note, the coaches rolled 3-deep today to scout Jarred Vanderbilt, who doesn't have an offer yet. Maybe one is forthcoming if they liked what they saw.

No word about where Coach James was today.

Best performance of the day by a Duke recruit: I'm going to go with Jayson Tatum's 29 points, 11 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 blocks performance (http://www.d1circuit.com/game/show/10850500) in an 85-83 win. If you click on that box score, you'll see Tatum shot an eye-popping 17-18 from the FT line!

DukieTiger
07-10-2015, 11:04 AM
July 9th

Best performance of the day by a Duke recruit: I'm going to go with Jayson Tatum's 29 points, 11 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 blocks performance (http://www.d1circuit.com/game/show/10850500) in an 85-83 win. If you click on that box score, you'll see Tatum shot an eye-popping 17-18 from the FT line!

Good to see Jayson getting to the line at such a high rate (and hitting them too!) Draft Express did a recent scouting report (http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2015-FIBA-U19-World-Championship-Scouting-Reports-Small-Forwards-5167) on Jayson (and others) and one of the "weaknesses" for JT was that he "barely got to the FT line" in the U19's. They seemed to really like him overall though.

DavidBenAkiva
07-10-2015, 11:54 AM
First, I love this thread. Great idea!

Things are certainly getting hot and heavy with a lot of these recruits. Let me see if I understand the targets properly:

Main targets: Jayson Tatum (SF), Harry Giles (PF), Marques Bolden (C), and Frank Jackson (PG/SG) (who could be a 2018 guy)
Other targets: Dennis Smith, Jr. (PG), Tyus Battle (SG/SF), and Udoka Azubuike (C)

Main Targets: Michael Porter, Jr. (SF), Trae Young (PG), Gary Trent, Jr. (SG), and Wendell Carter (PF)
Other targets: Troy Brown, Jr. (PG)

Main Targets: Marvin Bagley, III (PF), Tre Jones (PG)

conmanlhughes
07-10-2015, 12:03 PM
First, I love this thread. Great idea!

Things are certainly getting hot and heavy with a lot of these recruits. Let me see if I understand the targets properly:

Main targets: Jayson Tatum (SF), Harry Giles (PF), Marques Bolden (C), and Frank Jackson (PG/SG) (who could be a 2018 guy)
Other targets: Dennis Smith, Jr. (PG), Tyus Battle (SG/SF), and Udoka Azubuike (C)

Main Targets: Michael Porter, Jr. (SF), Trae Young (PG), Gary Trent, Jr. (SG), and Wendell Carter (PF)
Other targets: Troy Brown, Jr. (PG)

Main Targets: Marvin Bagley, III (PF), Tre Jones (PG)

Cross Tyus Battle and Udoka Azubuike off that list. The Battle ship ;) has sailed. With Udoka, it has been a while since the staff has contacted him. I believe he has been effectively put on the backburner or pulled off the stove entirely.

ChillinDuke
07-10-2015, 01:46 PM
Cross Tyus Battle and Udoka Azubuike off that list. The Battle ship ;) has sailed. With Udoka, it has been a while since the staff has contacted him. I believe he has been effectively put on the backburner or pulled off the stove entirely.

Conman, please forgive me if I missed it, but can you please provide your resume so that we can understand your relationship with the staff?

Thanks,
Chillin

budwom
07-10-2015, 03:06 PM
well, despite the sarcasm, conman happens to be right. Forget Battle....and while you're at it, don't ever expect to see Smith in a Duke uni either.
Now fire away.

conmanlhughes
07-10-2015, 04:43 PM
Conman, please forgive me if I missed it, but can you please provide your resume so that we can understand your relationship with the staff?

Thanks,
Chillin

I am Coach K's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

Lonestar: What's that mean?

Dark Helmet: Absolutely nothing. Prepare to lose!;)

I am a scout premium member, so I know a tad bit of info. Can't tell you anything more or I would have to kill you. ;)

Billy Dat
07-10-2015, 04:46 PM
I put this in the 2016 thread but meant to put it here:

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 2h2 hours ago
It's not an exaggeration to say that many of the big-time 2016 and 17 kids are all talking about Duke. They have huge mo on recruiting now.

BD80
07-10-2015, 04:49 PM
well, despite the sarcasm, conman happens to be right. Forget Battle....and while you're at it, don't ever expect to see Smith in a Duke uni either.
Now fire away.

Are you declaring a Battle battle?

Smiting o'er Smith?

A Dukie duke-out?

flyingdutchdevil
07-10-2015, 04:55 PM
I put this in the 2016 thread but meant to put it here:

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 2h2 hours ago
It's not an exaggeration to say that many of the big-time 2016 and 17 kids are all talking about Duke. They have huge mo on recruiting now.

Wow. I can't say I'm surprised, but wow nonetheless. I guess a) coming off a natty, b) embracing one-and-dones, c) winning with one-and-dones, d) not being a cocky $%&# like Calipari gets players talking.

Furthermore, it's a pretty well known fact that Coach K will retiring sometime in the next decade. You don't have much more time to play for the greatest living coach.

Can we start a endowment for the next coach? I mean, wouldn't Steve Kerr wanna coach at Duke for $10M a year?

duke79
07-10-2015, 05:10 PM

I think this would qualify as "double hearsay". LOL.

But it does raise the somewhat interesting question of what the academic cutoff (in terms of SAT or ACT scores and high school grades) is for an elite basketball recruit (say, a top 5 or 10 player) to be admitted to Duke to play basketball. Obviously, neither the admissions office or the basketball team reveals such info but I sometimes wonder how much leeway the admissions office does give to Coach K in his recruiting. I also wonder if the fact that many of these players will be the OAD's and perhaps never get a Duke degree affects the admissions process for many of these athletes (in terms of more leeway).

OldPhiKap
07-10-2015, 05:14 PM
Article on Giles from the Peach Jam:

http://chronicle.augusta.com/sports/high-school/2015-07-09/top-recruit-harry-giles-healthy-ready-title-run-peach-jam?v=1436491041

sagegrouse
07-10-2015, 06:56 PM
Article on Giles from the Peach Jam:

http://chronicle.augusta.com/sports/high-school/2015-07-09/top-recruit-harry-giles-healthy-ready-title-run-peach-jam?v=1436491041

Money quote:

NORTH AUGUSTA — Harry Giles shielded defenders with his body to get space. He ran down the floor to finish off with slams as NBA star Chris Paul cheered from the sideline.

It was the continuation for what could be a special stretch for Giles, the No. 1/No. 2 prospect (ESPN/Rivals) for the 2016 class.

Two years ago, Giles’ knee injury washed away his sophomore year and could have severely damaged his future potential.

Troublemaker
07-10-2015, 11:13 PM
TV Alert!

On Sunday, ESPNU will be televising the Peach Jam semifinals live at 9am and 10:30am ET. Then, the championship game will be shown live at 3pm ET.

If your schedule is clear and that sounds like something you'd be interested in watching, please join me in channel-flipping between Wimbledon and high school basketball Sunday morning.

The Duke coaching staff will almost certainly be present, and I'm sure the ESPN cameramen will pan to them often. Jayson Tatum and Wendell Carter both have undefeated teams and could be involved in these playoff games.

Young / Porter's team is struggling and won't make it. Harry Giles' team is at .500 and could still make it but has work to do.

Clay Feet POF
07-11-2015, 09:04 AM
TV Alert!

On Sunday, ESPNU will be televising the Peach Jam semifinals live at 9am and 10:30am ET. Then, the championship game will be shown live at 3pm ET.

If your schedule is clear and that sounds like something you'd be interested in watching, please join me in channel-flipping between Wimbledon and high school basketball Sunday morning.

The Duke coaching staff will almost certainly be present, and I'm sure the ESPN cameramen will pan to them often. Jayson Tatum and Wendell Carter both have undefeated teams and could be involved in these playoff games.

Young / Porter's team is struggling and won't make it. Harry Giles' team is at .500 and could still make it but has work to do.

Thanks for the Head's Up. nice to see what we might be getting.

Bluedog
07-11-2015, 09:24 AM
I think this would qualify as "double hearsay". LOL.

But it does raise the somewhat interesting question of what the academic cutoff (in terms of SAT or ACT scores and high school grades) is for an elite basketball recruit (say, a top 5 or 10 player) to be admitted to Duke to play basketball. Obviously, neither the admissions office or the basketball team reveals such info but I sometimes wonder how much leeway the admissions office does give to Coach K in his recruiting. I also wonder if the fact that many of these players will be the OAD's and perhaps never get a Duke degree affects the admissions process for many of these athletes (in terms of more leeway).

They give Coach K HUGE leeway to say the least. Having said that, it's a case by case basis. If there is an individual who they truly think cannot deal with Duke academics even with the tutoring services given to them, they will definitely have that conversation with Coach K. In the recent past, Bledsoe did not cut the mustard. I don't think they consider if a player will be one and done at all when making the decision -- just if they can handle the rigors if a Duke education at all.

It's not just the NCAA minimum that Duke goes by, but we're being dishonest if we try to convince ourselves that standards aren't severely relaxed for elite basketball and football players (other sports at Duke have largely different standards, but it varies based on sport and quality of a recruit/how much the coach wants the student athlete). The last time Duke published average SAT scores for the class of 2007, the average for football recruits was 1063 and basketball was 997. That's got to be two standard deviations away from the rest of the student body. Having said all that, we definitely get our fair share of great students on the basketball team as obviously Duke would be appealing to those guys. Zoubek and Ryan Kelly come to mind in the recent past.

sagegrouse
07-11-2015, 10:24 AM
They give Coach K HUGE leeway to say the least. Having said that, it's a case by case basis. If there is an individual who they truly think cannot deal with Duke academics even with the tutoring services given to them, they will definitely have that conversation with Coach K. In the recent past, Bledsoe did not cut the mustard. I don't think they consider if a player will be one and done at all when making the decision -- just if they can handle the rigors if a Duke education at all.

It's not just the NCAA minimum that Duke goes by, but we're being dishonest if we try to convince ourselves that standards aren't severely relaxed for elite basketball and football players (other sports at Duke have largely different standards, but it varies based on sport and quality of a recruit/how much the coach wants the student athlete). The last time Duke published average SAT scores for the class of 2007, the average for football recruits was 1063 and basketball was 997. That's got to be two standard deviations away from the rest of the student body. Having said all that, we definitely get our fair share of great students on the basketball team as obviously Duke would be appealing to those guys. Zoubek and Ryan Kelly come to mind in the recent past.

Point #1. Talented athletes everywhere get special consideration from admissions offices. Yep, including the Ivy League -- or maybe, especially the Ivy League. I remember a NY Times article on the surprising rise of football at Division III University of Chicago, an outstanding academic institution at both the undergrad and graduate levels. Football players do have to meet the same standards as everyone else (which maybe I believe); the "special consideration" is that the football coach can walk an application into the admissions office and get an immediate decision. As they say in business, "Time is money" and that is worth a lot.

Point #2. In the K era, let's not forget academic stalwarts, such as:
Jay Bilas
Quin Snyder
Crawford Palmer
Clay Buckley (son of rocket scientist Jay '64)
Trajan Langdon
Taymon Domzalski, MD
Shane Battier
Nick Horvath
Brian Zoubek
Ryan Kelly
And surely others

conmanlhughes
07-11-2015, 10:40 AM
FWIW, Suliamon was a participant in the Duke TIP program.

Duke95
07-11-2015, 11:02 AM
Should anyone be interested.

https://twitter.com/Bluedevilsreign

Gooch says tomorrow may be a special day for Duke basketball.

Duvall
07-11-2015, 11:03 AM
Should anyone be interested.

https://twitter.com/Bluedevilsreign

Gooch says tomorrow may be a special day for Duke basketball.

Gooch is pretty unreliable.

OldPhiKap
07-11-2015, 11:12 AM
Peach Jam:

Coaches K, Scheyer, Collins and Wojo.

Also saw Coaces Capel and Nate. Walked in with Johnny Dawkins. Immediately bumped into Bobby Hurlay.

Duke95
07-11-2015, 11:12 AM
Gooch is pretty unreliable.

I report. You decide.

conmanlhughes
07-11-2015, 11:18 AM
3h3 hours ago
Blue Devil Nation ‏@BlueDevilNation
@Im_that_dude22 Jayson Tatum told me that he would be committed to a school soon during the Nike EYBL Peach Jam.

Peach Jam ends tomorrow. :cool::cool:

Woohoo!!

Troublemaker
07-11-2015, 11:29 AM
Good to see Jayson getting to the line at such a high rate (and hitting them too!) Draft Express did a recent scouting report (http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2015-FIBA-U19-World-Championship-Scouting-Reports-Small-Forwards-5167) on Jayson (and others) and one of the "weaknesses" for JT was that he "barely got to the FT line" in the U19's. They seemed to really like him overall though.

Interestingly, Tatum actually leads the Nike circuit in FTs Made by a wide margin and is 3rd in FT Attempts: http://www.d1circuit.com/page/show/1725297-statistics

I have to think his low numbers in the U19s were just a freaky outlier.

Thanks for the Head's Up. nice to see what we might be getting.

I hope you won't be cursing me tomorrow, though! After posting that heads-up, I thought about previous times I've watched high school basketball, and I'd say 95% of the time it's pretty ugly and unentertaining. Exceptions would be something like the Hoop Summit. Tomorrow, I'll be happy to see the Duke coaching staff on TV and to see one or more of our recruits play for a few minutes, but I'll probably stick to Wimbledon after that.

Troublemaker
07-11-2015, 12:18 PM
June 10

* Coach James joined up with the rest of the Duke staff at the Peach Jam, leaving no Duke representatives at the Adidas and Under Armour events yesterday. It's the right move since we have so many more recruits we're interested in at Peach Jam, and the additional assistant helps Duke spread our presence around even more.

* Duke again watched all of our offered recruits, with Tatum, Giles, and Bagley again receiving a lot of love. Duke also showed up 4-deep to Marques Bolden since our presence was sparse with him the previous day. Carter, Young, and Porter also saw Duke coaches at their games. Note: Gary Trent's team didn't win enough to qualify for Peach Jam, so he's entirely missing this weekend. But otherwise, all of our 2016, 2017, and 2018 offered recruits have been watched by the staff the past few days.

* Non-offered recruits we watched were wing DJ Harvey ('17) and center Tony Bradley ('16). Harvey is hoping a Duke offer comes his way soon: http://zagsblog.com/articles/d-j-harvey-hoping-for-duke-offer-talks-recruitment/

* Adam Rowe ‏@BlueDevilLair (https://twitter.com/BlueDevilLair) 17h (https://twitter.com/BlueDevilLair/status/619644330580549633)17 hours ago (https://twitter.com/BlueDevilLair/status/619644330580549633)
Coach K is on celebrity status here at #PeachJam (https://twitter.com/hashtag/PeachJam?src=hash). Just turned down two kids who wanted selfies. Couldn't do it because they're players.

* Best performance by a Duke recruit: Going with Harry Giles' 26 points, 7 rebounds, 3 blocks performance in a dominating win against a previously undefeated team. He shot 11-13 from the field: http://www.d1circuit.com/game/show/10850894
Correction: I wrote above that Giles' team was .500 but Nike has since corrected the standings. His team is tied for first in the pool and will qualify for the knockout round with one more win.

DavidBenAkiva
07-11-2015, 01:16 PM
Peach Jam:

Coaches K, Scheyer, Collins and Wojo.

Also saw Coaces Capel and Nate. Walked in with Johnny Dawkins. Immediately bumped into Bobby Hurlay.

Great pic! You know those guys are lifers, even if the affiliation changes a little. Them, Dawkins, Amaker, and Hurley. What an incredible coaching pedigree being churned out by the program.

martydoesntfoul
07-11-2015, 01:32 PM
Point #1. Talented athletes everywhere get special consideration from admissions offices. Yep, including the Ivy League -- or maybe, especially the Ivy League. I remember a NY Times article on the surprising rise of football at Division III University of Chicago, an outstanding academic institution at both the undergrad and graduate levels. Football players do have to meet the same standards as everyone else (which maybe I believe); the "special consideration" is that the football coach can walk an application into the admissions office and get an immediate decision. As they say in business, "Time is money" and that is worth a lot.

Point #2. In the K era, let's not forget academic stalwarts, such as:
Jay Bilas
Quin Snyder
Crawford Palmer
Clay Buckley (son of rocket scientist Jay '64)
Trajan Langdon
Taymon Domzalski, MD
Shane Battier
Nick Horvath
Brian Zoubek
Ryan Kelly
And surely others

Surely George Burgin belongs on this list. He was a Mechanical Engineering/Computer Sciences major who has since worked on some rocket science-type projects. And Ryan Caldbeck, Founder and CEO of CircleUp...

Duke95
07-11-2015, 01:40 PM
Can we keep this thread on topic?

conmanlhughes
07-11-2015, 01:56 PM
Interesting dynamic

http://collegespun.com/acc/duke/duke-basketball-unnamed-assistant-tells-adam-zagoria-that-5-star-pf-harry-giles-will-wind-up-a-blue-devil

sagegrouse
07-11-2015, 01:58 PM
Interesting dynamic

http://collegespun.com/acc/duke/duke-basketball-unnamed-assistant-tells-adam-zagoria-that-5-star-pf-harry-giles-will-wind-up-a-blue-devil

Headline tells all:

Duke Basketball: Unnamed Assistant Tells Adam Zagoria That 5-Star PF Harry Giles Will Wind Up A Blue Devil

Troublemaker
07-11-2015, 08:39 PM
TV Alert!

Both Jayson Tatum's team and Harry Giles' team made stirring comebacks to win their quarterfinal games. It's like they're already Dukies!

Jayson and Harry will play each other in a semifinal game, at either 9am ET or 10:30am ET. It's unclear as of right now on the Nike site which timeslot they will slide into. One page I found suggests 9am and another suggests 10:30am.

I'm sure it will be clarified in time.

This Tatum vs Giles game could potentially be very interesting to Duke fans. I might watch a little bit more than anticipated, even going head-to-head with Federer vs Djokovic.

Troublemaker
07-11-2015, 09:37 PM
Okay, Nike has resolved the conflicting information. Tatum and Giles will play at 10:30am ET.

The 9:00am game will feature Duke-offered Wendell Carter vs wing DJ Harvey, who believes he will receive a Duke offer soon. Carter's team has been dominant in the Peach Jam and should win two more games tomorrow to take the Peach Jam championship.

Troublemaker
07-11-2015, 09:45 PM
Check out this tweet from Adam Rowe:

Adam Rowe ‏@BlueDevilLair (https://twitter.com/BlueDevilLair) 24m24 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/BlueDevilLair/status/620039334700392448)
#Duke (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Duke?src=hash) fans in for some good news on the basketball recruiting trail tomorrow? News from the #PeachJam (https://twitter.com/hashtag/PeachJam?src=hash) - http://duke.247sports.com/Board/59461/Contents/GauntletPeach-Jam-38123418?Page=3#M38165294 … (http://t.co/7DZJ0qyJrR) (VIP)

To me, this means Tatum will announce for Duke tomorrow. More reason to watch, I suppose.

Clay Feet POF
07-11-2015, 09:48 PM

I hope you won't be cursing me tomorrow, though! After posting that heads-up, I thought about previous times I've watched high school basketball, and I'd say 95% of the time it's pretty ugly and unentertaining. Exceptions would be something like the Hoop Summit. Tomorrow, I'll be happy to see the Duke coaching staff on TV and to see one or more of our recruits play for a few minutes, but I'll probably stick to Wimbledon after that.

I’m always thankful to watch top rank players in these games. I try to look for any morsel of clues that might indicate what could be their max ceiling. Please keep the TV alerts coming.

I have a nice feeling that if Tatum is NOT going to declare for St Louis the Peach Jam final day is a great spot to announce and take the edge off the disappointment of his home town fan. And maybe all we Duke Fans will be jumping up and down in front of our TV’s.

OldPhiKap
07-11-2015, 09:54 PM
Check out this tweet from Adam Rowe:

Adam Rowe ‏@BlueDevilLair (https://twitter.com/BlueDevilLair) 24m24 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/BlueDevilLair/status/620039334700392448)
#Duke (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Duke?src=hash) fans in for some good news on the basketball recruiting trail tomorrow? News from the #PeachJam (https://twitter.com/hashtag/PeachJam?src=hash) - http://duke.247sports.com/Board/59461/Contents/GauntletPeach-Jam-38123418?Page=3#M38165294 … (http://t.co/7DZJ0qyJrR) (VIP)

To me, this means Tatum will announce for Duke tomorrow. More reason to watch, I suppose.

Post was behind a wall and could not read it. I can confirm though that Arowe is at the Peach Jam as a credentalled press member.

conmanlhughes
07-12-2015, 07:46 AM
Tatum is announcing at 9 AM today on ESPNU.

BD80
07-12-2015, 09:09 AM
Not at 9. Maybe at halftime of the first game?

Duvall
07-12-2015, 09:17 AM
Tatum's announcement will come after his game, which tips at 10:30. So noonish.

Furniture
07-12-2015, 09:24 AM
There is your Wimbolden respect.

Duke_92
07-12-2015, 09:35 AM
Dang. Spent $5 for 30 minutes of gogo inflight Internet hoping to catch the announcement. I guess I'll just have to be patient and wait until we land in a few hours.

Native
07-12-2015, 06:00 PM
Surely George Burgin belongs on this list. He was a Mechanical Engineering/Computer Sciences major who has since worked on some rocket science-type projects. And Ryan Caldbeck, Founder and CEO of CircleUp...

Throw Matt Christensen on the list as well. He was my professor for the Duke in Silicon Valley program. Guy is crazy, crazy smart — just brilliant.

moonpie23
07-12-2015, 06:24 PM
Dang. Spent $5 for 30 minutes of gogo inflight Internet hoping to catch the announcement. I guess I'll just have to be patient and wait until we land in a few hours.

i was on my way to maui trying to track the thornton announcement, when gogo decided to merge with the Hoover corporation.....:mad:

Troublemaker
07-12-2015, 07:18 PM
June 12

Best game performance by a Duke recruit: Wendell Carter went for 25 points, 13 rebounds, and 8 blocks in the Peach Jam championship game, as his Georgia team blew out Jayson's St. Louis team. The big man shot 9-10 from the FT line: http://www.d1circuit.com/game/show/10924870?subseason=235270

Nevertheless, it can be argued that Jayson had the best day of all, committing to the best program in the country.

sagegrouse
07-12-2015, 07:21 PM
Throw Matt Christensen on the list as well. He was my professor for the Duke in Silicon Valley program. Guy is crazy, crazy smart — just brilliant.

It runs ion the family. His Dad Clayton was and continues to be a legendary Harvard Business School prof.

Native
07-13-2015, 11:26 AM
It runs ion the family. His Dad Clayton was and continues to be a legendary Harvard Business School prof.

Yes, we were taught by Clayton as well for a few sessions. What a family.

conmanlhughes
07-13-2015, 11:51 AM
Tyus Battle just committed to Syracuse, as expected via twitter.

flyingdutchdevil
07-13-2015, 12:01 PM

Sweet. When is he gonna commit to another school? Next month?

Olympic Fan
07-13-2015, 12:09 PM

Nice pickup for the 'Cuse.

But it's also evidence that the blue-blood programs have remarkable resiliency in the face of disaster. Syracuse is coming off NCAA probation, they are still dealing with scholarship reductions and a post-season ban and their Hall of Fame coach is retiring in a couple of years -- and they can still recruit elite talent.

I bring this up because many want to see a quick resolution to the UNC scandal. That's the WORST thing that could happen from our point of view. As soon as the issue is resolved and the penalties are served (the post-season ban anyway), North Carolina will be North Carolina again. It's the uncertainty of the future that has hamstrung their recruiting.

Take your time deciding this one NCAA -- at least until Harry Giles, Dennis Smith and Bam (I can never remember his full name) are locked up by rivals. Amazingly bad timing for the Heels - the best in-state recruiting class in history (two top 5 and three top 20 prospects) and they are going to get shut out after three decades of getting almost every in-state guy they wanted.

Duke95
07-13-2015, 01:27 PM

But it's also evidence that the blue-blood programs have remarkable resiliency in the face of disaster. Syracuse is coming off NCAA probation, they are still dealing with scholarship reductions and a post-season ban and their Hall of Fame coach is retiring in a couple of years -- and they can still recruit elite talent.

I bring this up because many want to see a quick resolution to the UNC scandal. That's the WORST thing that could happen from our point of view. As soon as the issue is resolved and the penalties are served (the post-season ban anyway), North Carolina will be North Carolina again. It's the uncertainty of the future that has hamstrung their recruiting.

Take your time deciding this one NCAA -- at least until Harry Giles, Dennis Smith and Bam (I can never remember his full name) are locked up by rivals. Amazingly bad timing for the Heels - the best in-state recruiting class in history (two top 5 and three top 20 prospects) and they are going to get shut out after three decades of getting almost every in-state guy they wanted.

I'm not so sure about that part. I think UNC's woes go beyond the scandal. UNC's subpar player development has not been lost on recruits or NBA scouts. Williams also appears somewhat reticent about playing more talented underclassmen over experienced upperclassmen. Top recruits aren't all that excited about coming in to a program and playing under someone for 1-2 years. I think Dennis Smith is an example of that.

sagegrouse
07-13-2015, 01:42 PM
I'm not so sure about that part. I think UNC's woes go beyond the scandal. UNC's subpar player development has not been lost on recruits or NBA scouts. Williams also appears somewhat reticent about playing more talented underclassmen over experienced upperclassmen. Top recruits aren't all that excited about coming in to a program and playing under someone for 1-2 years. I think Dennis Smith is an example of that.

I agree. In part, it is the problem of "too many players on scholarship" and, in part, a problem of Roy's helter-skelter substitution pattern, where few get really defined roles. Or, perhaps I am being unfair to Roy and don't see the underlying pattern ("method in his madness?").

Billy Dat
07-13-2015, 01:58 PM
"Duke is beating Kentucky at its own game in recruiting"

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2015/7/13/8948933/duke-kentucky-recruiting-jayson-tatum-harry-giles

Olympic Fan
07-13-2015, 02:12 PM

Agree that Roy's sagging reputation -- well known now as a guy who retards one-and-done talent -- is hurting UNC almost as much as the scandal.

But that's temporary too. UNC will replace Roy with a hot young coach .. it won't be long until UNC is bad at the very top.

BTW, this lesson applies to Duke too. A lot of Duke-haters think that when K steps down, Duke fades back to mediocrity. But he's made Duke a blue blood and the blue bloods have tremendous resiliency. They can make a mistake in hiring and set themselves back, but they are never far away.

roywhite
07-13-2015, 02:26 PM
Agree that Roy's sagging reputation -- well known now as a guy who retards one-and-done talent -- is hurting UNC almost as much as the scandal.

But that's temporary too. UNC will replace Roy with a hot young coach .. it won't be long until UNC is bad at the very top.

BTW, this lesson applies to Duke too. A lot of Duke-haters think that when K steps down, Duke fades back to mediocrity. But he's made Duke a blue blood and the blue bloods have tremendous resiliency. They can make a mistake in hiring and set themselves back, but they are never far away.

You have a point, and I'm optimistic about Duke Basketball after Coach K.

But there is a downside risk -- see UCLA. 9 coaches since Wooden with varying success. Better than mediocre? Probably yes overall, but waaay below the Wooden days.

flyingdutchdevil
07-13-2015, 02:27 PM

Could not agree more. UNC will be very good again. The question is just how long.

Count me in the camp who is veeery worried about succession planning. It's not that there aren't suitors (there are), it's that Duke doesn't have the history of the other 5 true blue bloods (UNC, UCLA, Indiana, UK, KU) with Duke being the 6th true blue blood. Duke is the only school to not have championships with multiple coaches. Duke is the only school to not have a championship before 1990. To say that Duke's history is on par with these other schools is, IMO, disingenuous. We have been the most dominant school since the early 1990s, but I firmly believe that sustaining the success at Duke will be more challenging than the other 5 schools. IU and UCLA are living proof that even the strongest blue bloods cannot sustain success if they don't have the right infrastructure in place. I'm sure Coach K will leave the program in capable hands (Capel-able hands?), but I'm banking on plenty of tough road blocks ahead.

JasonEvans
07-13-2015, 02:29 PM
"Duke is beating Kentucky at its own game in recruiting"

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2015/7/13/8948933/duke-kentucky-recruiting-jayson-tatum-harry-giles

I just could not resist quoting a few sentences of the article:

These new recruits were born five years after Christian Laettner left college. It's forced into action a question that once felt impossible. Is Duke, like, actually cool?

All of this means it might be the worst time ever to be a Duke hater, as uncomfortable as it is to consider the thought.

Duke is on fire, and somehow it feels like they're just getting started. Everyone else should be very afraid.

-Jason "just can't stop smiling" Evans

Nugget
07-13-2015, 02:39 PM

Count me in the group that wants UNC's NCAA limbo to extend as long as possible. Having the uncertainty hanging over their heads is as much of a deterrent to top players as the actual penalties (if any) will be.

Also, given UNC's weak recruiting in 2015 and, likely, 2016, they will soon have loads of playing time to offer as a selling point.

Players in the Class of 2016 see a UNC roster when they would be coming into school likely to consist of a full starting lineup of pretty high caliber, experienced Top 15-50 players: Jr. PG Joel Berry; Sr. G Nate Britt; Jr. Wing Theo Pinson; (if he doesn't go) Jr. F Justin Jackson (or Sr. PF Isiah Hicks) and Sr. C Kennedy Meeks.

But, guys in the Class of 2017, would have to compete with, at most, Pinson, Berry (hard to see Jackson staying all 4 years) and current incoming frosh SG Kenny Williams and PF Luke Maye. If I were a top Wing or Big in the class of 2017 (or a group of them who wanted to be a "package deal"), I would find UNC's situation very attractive from the PT and exposure standpoint.

tux
07-13-2015, 02:40 PM

While perhaps UNC will one day (maybe sooner than we'd like) be back to being "UNC", I can't help to wonder how much the UNC brand was damaged by the behavior that led to the Wainstein Report and the new batch of NCAA allegations. Most media accounts focus on the threat of impending NCAA sanctions as the primary cause of recent recruiting struggles, but recruits (and their parents) may be turned off just as much by the actual wrongdoing, perhaps even more than what the punishments will eventually look like.

My prediction is that UNC basketball recruiting (post-sanctions) will do fine getting local talent with family and community connections to the university, but their national recruiting efforts may lag behind for many more years.

Kedsy
07-13-2015, 03:14 PM
It's not that there aren't suitors (there are), it's that Duke doesn't have the history of the other 5 true blue bloods (UNC, UCLA, Indiana, UK, KU) with Duke being the 6th true blue blood. Duke is the only school to not have championships with multiple coaches. Duke is the only school to not have a championship before 1990. To say that Duke's history is on par with these other schools is, IMO, disingenuous.

I entirely disagree with this assessment. Take away the top coach at each school (K, Smith, Wooden, Knight, Rupp, Phog Allen) and compare the schools' remaining histories. Kentucky's is clearly ahead of Duke, Kansas might be (but only because Kansas has done well in the years that Coach K has been at Duke), but UNC's, UCLA's, and Indiana's histories don't outshine Duke's. In fact, Duke has had more consecutive seasons with double-figure (10+) wins than any Division I school (including all the "true blue bloods" you mention).

Especially UNC. In the 1960s, Duke was the dominant ACC program, not UNC. Duke has gone to the Final Four under three different coaches, just one fewer than UNC. Going into the 1966-67 season, Duke had been to more Final Fours than UNC (more Final Fours than Indiana, too; the same number as UCLA, and one fewer than Kansas). The fact that UNC won a title (in triple OT) in one of its two pre-Dean Final Fours, while Duke lost its best shot in the final game, doesn't make UNC's history more "true blue blood" than Duke's.

Olympic Fan
07-13-2015, 03:20 PM
Count me in the camp who is veeery worried about succession planning. It's not that there aren't suitors (there are), it's that Duke doesn't have the history of the other 5 true blue bloods (UNC, UCLA, Indiana, UK, KU) with Duke being the 6th true blue blood. Duke is the only school to not have championships with multiple coaches. Duke is the only school to not have a championship before 1990. To say that Duke's history is on par with these other schools is, IMO, disingenuous. We have been the most dominant school since the early 1990s, but I firmly believe that sustaining the success at Duke will be more challenging than the other 5 schools. IU and UCLA are living proof that even the strongest blue bloods cannot sustain success if they don't have the right infrastructure in place. I'm sure Coach K will leave the program in capable hands (Capel-able hands?), but I'm banking on plenty of tough road blocks ahead.

ALL of the blue bloods were elevated to that status by a great coach. What was Kentucky before Rupp ... what was UCLA before Wooden? UNC was a good regional program before Dean Smith (they one one conference title between 1945 and 1967).

While Duke is the last team to achieve blue-blood status (unless you think UConn has reached that level), it's not like its been a short-term thing. Duke has been the nation's best program in the 64-team NCAA Tournament era, starting in 1985. There's not a prep prospect alive (or a future prospect) who doesn't remember growing up in an era when Duke wasn't a super power. That's not going to end the moment K retires. Duke will still have Cameron, the Crazies, the five (or more) banners and the great TV exposure.

Obviously, Duke has to make a good choice to succeed K. And it's not fair to suggest that coach to exactly match K's success -- he is, after all, the GOAT.

But unless Kevin White really screws up the succession, Duke will remain a super power for a long time ... until and unless a succession of bad decisions slowly pulls Duke down.

COYS
07-13-2015, 03:49 PM
But unless Kevin White really screws up the succession, Duke will remain a super power for a long time ... until and unless a succession of bad decisions slowly pulls Duke down.

Knocking on wood as I type this, but it really would take a long succession of bad decisions to put Duke in a position where it really had no chance to compete. Duke is high profile school in more ways than just basketball. It has a broadly dispersed, successful, and well-connected alumni base that has grown up over the last 35 years thinking of basketball as a mark of pride for the school. This doesn't even include the basketball alumni, which, on their own, are an impressive even if you don't look at their accomplishments in the NBA. Duke now has prestige and money that doesn't look to dry up any time soon. Personally, I'm hopeful the next coach at Duke hits the ground running. But even if he (she? unlikely, but, hey, how cool would that be for gender equality :)?) has a tough time, then I can't imagine the program not reaching into it's pockets to get a coach who will succeed. And if that coach doesn't succeed, I can't imagine Duke not doing the same thing again to find someone else. We'll never find another Coach K, but I believe that there are enough good coaches out there that Duke will be competing for national titles long after K retires.

yancem
07-13-2015, 04:02 PM
Could not agree more. UNC will be very good again. The question is just how long.

I'm not sure how much I agree with this point. You are correct that Duke didn't win a championship before 1990 but they were in how many final 4's (7?) under 3 different coaches. Also, I don't think that Indiana has had a NC since 1987 (and only 1 or 2 F4 since 1990?). UCLA went to a couple F4 recently but their last NC was 1995. Duke is also well ahead of Indiana (300) and UCLA (250) in most wins while less than 100 wins behind unc and KU (UK is +126). Also, while most of Duke's success has come in the K era, that era stretches for over 30 years which is plenty of time. It is all the recruits of today (and most of their parents) can really remember. Plus Duke has 5 NC's which is more than KU and tied with Indiana and unc. I doubt that UK's 4 NC's prior to 1960 help them too much nor does Indiana's 2, KU's 1 or unc's 1. Lastly, Duke has as strong of a coaching tree as anyone out there giving them as good or better chance then any of the other blue boods when it comes time to bring in a good replacement coach.

Saratoga2
07-13-2015, 04:03 PM

UNC has been cheating for years on end. What do they go back to?

-jk
07-13-2015, 04:13 PM
I'm not sure how much I agree with this point. You are correct that Duke didn't win a championship before 1990 but they were in how many final 4's (7?) under 3 different coaches. Also, I don't think that Indiana has had a NC since 1987 (and only 1 or 2 F4 since 1990?). UCLA went to a couple F4 recently but their last NC was 1995. Duke is also well ahead of Indiana (300) and UCLA (250) in most wins while less than 100 wins behind unc and KU (UK is +126). Also, while most of Duke's success has come in the K era, that era stretches for over 30 years which is plenty of time. It is all the recruits of today (and most of their parents) can really remember. Plus Duke has 5 NC's which is more than KU and tied with Indiana and unc. I doubt that UK's 4 NC's prior to 1960 help them too much nor does Indiana's 2, KU's 1 or unc's 1. Lastly, Duke has as strong of a coaching tree as anyone out there giving them as good or better chance then any of the other blue boods when it comes time to bring in a good replacement coach.

Also have to point out that K managed to move Duke all the way from #5 all time wins to #4! Duke has been Blue for ages... (St John's, #4 when K took over at Duke, is now #8. But that's a different story.)

-jk

-jk
07-13-2015, 04:14 PM
UNC has been cheating for years on end. What do they go back to?

I have a bad feeling they'll not go back any. Just lose a scholarship or two for a couple years. <sigh>

-jk

Duke95
07-13-2015, 04:31 PM
I have a bad feeling they'll not go back any. Just lose a scholarship or two for a couple years. <sigh>

-jk

OTOH, I think that, for MBB, UNC will:

1. Lose the 2005 and 2009 banners.
2. Forfeit the games during the fraudulent period.
3. Receive a 2-3 year NCAA tournament ban.
4. Lose 2-3 scholarships a year for the next 3 years.

Roy will leave UNC after this year. UNC will then shell out major cash to convince a coach to come pull their program out of the ditch into which they drove it.

I think Roy has half checked out already. He is getting outworked on the recruiting trail, something that should absolutely NEVER happen given UNC's current position.

swood1000
07-13-2015, 04:42 PM

-jk
You think that their recruiting difficulties are not significant or will not continue, and that there will probably not be any post-season restrictions?

flyingdutchdevil
07-13-2015, 04:45 PM

Roy will leave UNC after this year. UNC will then shell out major cash to convince a coach to come pull their program out of the ditch into which they drove it.

I think Roy has half checked out already. He is getting outworked on the recruiting trail, something that should absolutely NEVER happen given UNC's current position.

I would love for any of these to happen, but they're not going to. The NCAA is looking to punish UNC as a school rather than UNC as a basketball program. That probably means putting a non-revenue generating varsity sport on probation for 10 years. And docking another 2 scholarships from Syracuse.

However, let the uncertainty continue! UNC's loss is Duke's gain.

-jk
07-13-2015, 04:47 PM
You think that their recruiting difficulties are not significant or will not continue, and that there will probably not be any post-season restrictions?

Yeah, they'll get a couple years probation with the scholarship losses. It'll sting for 'em a bit, but less than while this thing lingers; that part's been fun!

I fear the NCAA will do anything to avoid vacating banners. And if they start vacating at all, they'll just have to vacate banners, too. Hence my fear.

-jk

Duvall
07-13-2015, 04:48 PM
Yeah, they'll get a couple years probation with the scholarship losses. It'll sting for 'em a bit, but less than while this thing lingers; that part's been fun!

I fear the NCAA will do anything to avoid vacating banners. And if they start vacating at all, they'll just have to vacate banners, too. Hence my fear.

-jk

The NCAA could always pull a Syracuse and only vacate games in non-banner years, because of reasons.

devildeac
07-13-2015, 04:51 PM

But look on the bright side, he was photographed catching up on his sleep during one of the recent tourneys:rolleyes:.

-jk
07-13-2015, 04:52 PM
The NCAA could always pull a Syracuse and only vacate games in non-banner years, because of reasons.

McCants in 2005 looms large. I think that's too fine a needle even for the NCAA.

-jk

Duvall
07-13-2015, 04:57 PM

Duke basketball should be fine (well, better than fine) in the near and medium term. The biggest concern is the more likely than not possibility of Duke finding itself expelled from the ranks of the power conferences in the next footballcentric realignment around 2025 or 2026. But that's a long way away.

-jk
07-13-2015, 05:20 PM
Duke basketball should be fine (well, better than fine) in the near and medium term. The biggest concern is the more likely than not possibility of Duke finding itself expelled from the ranks of the power conferences in the next footballcentric realignment around 2025 or 2026. But that's a long way away.

Don't get that. We're in the midst of upgrading facilities (Maryland got so jealous of our indoor practice facility they're turning leaky Cole into one!). We're solidly in the top half of the ACC these days.

I will grant you a succession plan for Cut is a big deal, and I hope K and Cut try really hard to outlast and outperform each other! White has his work cut out for him...

-jk

BD80
07-13-2015, 05:21 PM

What "power" conference wouldn't want a team that won a natty (maybe 2), several championship game appearances and 5 ACC championships over the previous 10 years? Duke football will be in demand!

Henderson
07-13-2015, 05:21 PM
McCants in 2005 looms large. I think that's too fine a needle even for the NCAA.

-jk

Was that even mentioned in the NOA?

duke09hms
07-13-2015, 05:27 PM

This may be a huge tangent, but if we're projecting out that far, what's the possibility of football still being a huge sport then. Huge decline in youth participation rates, more reports on brain damage. Rise of lacrosse as a fast-moving contact sport (Duke is well-positioned here). I just hope Duke Athletics takes the long-term view and doesn't get caught up in the arms race. I think they've done a great job of that - only increasing WW capacity marginally and focusing on big quality improvements.

Duvall
07-13-2015, 05:30 PM
Don't get that. We're in the midst of upgrading facilities (Maryland got so jealous of our indoor practice facility they're turning leaky Cole into one!). We're solidly in the top half of the ACC these days.

I don't trust the big public schools to let schools like Duke and Wake play their reindeer games. Every time Duke beats one of those schools despite playing at a disadvantage it just leads them to resent Duke more. And even if it's not personal, why share the money with schools that don't add a TV market?

Duke95
07-13-2015, 05:31 PM
I would love for any of these to happen, but they're not going to. The NCAA is looking to punish UNC as a school rather than UNC as a basketball program.

I'm not sure what you're saying here...or why you're saying it. You think UNC is going to get off scot free?

BD80
07-13-2015, 05:32 PM
This may be a huge tangent, but if we're projecting out that far, what's the possibility of football still being a huge sport then. Huge decline in youth participation rates, more reports on brain damage. Rise of lacrosse as a fast-moving contact sport (Duke is well-positioned here). I just hope Duke Athletics takes the long-term view and doesn't get caught up in the arms race. I think they've done a great job of that - only increasing WW capacity marginally and focusing on big quality improvements.

WW can be repurposed as a lacrosse venue?

OldPhiKap
07-13-2015, 06:00 PM
Also have to point out that K managed to move Duke all the way from #5 all time wins to #4! Duke has been Blue for ages... (St John's, #4 when K took over at Duke, is now #8. But that's a different story.)

-jk

I would note that if UNC vacates 79 or more wins, we pass them on the all-time win's list (currently 2140 v. 2062).

Not the way I want to do it. But it would still kill them over at the Dump on the Hump.

Duvall
07-13-2015, 06:01 PM
I would note that if UNC vacates 79 or more wins, we pass them on the all-time win's list (currently 2140 v. 2062)

Alternately, UNC could just give Roy Williams another five-year extension and accomplish the same thing.

BD80
07-13-2015, 06:54 PM
Alternately, UNC could just give Roy Williams another five-year extension and accomplish the same thing.

That was a combination of Jeff Capel's and Austin River's carolina beating shots, deep and lethal!

Bravo!

Drop the mic is oft overused. Apropos here.

wolfpack
07-13-2015, 07:00 PM

Best thing I've seen all month

lotusland
07-13-2015, 07:19 PM
That was a combination of Jeff Capel's and Austin River's carolina beating shots, deep and lethal!

Bravo!

Drop the mic is oft overused. Apropos here.

Capel's shot = OT loss unfortunately

OldPhiKap
07-13-2015, 07:33 PM

(Drops microphone, walks off . . . )

jimsumner
07-13-2015, 10:05 PM
Capel's shot = OT loss unfortunately

Robby West beat Carolina with a late jumper.

Banks sent into overtime a game that Duke won.

Olympic Fan
07-13-2015, 10:48 PM
The McCants issue isn't in the NOA that I know -- for one thing, McCants refused to talk to NCAA investigators (gossip -- and its no more than that -- is that certain UNC boosters got to him... he'll be taken care of as long as he keeps his mouth shut going forward).

Of course, the story is out there and McCants famously said "Check the transcrips" I imagine the NCAA would have done that. So something is possible, McCants not repeating his charges to the NCAA gives UNC a potential out.

westwall
07-14-2015, 12:11 AM

Uh --- I think the evidence shows that UNC is already there.

lotusland
07-14-2015, 04:53 PM

College football peaked already. Concussions/CTE issue can't be fixed. The money is still there obviously but it's a house of cards. Of course I said this over a year ago and so far mostly crickets but I still don't see how it is viable long term particularly in Jr High and HS andCollege football depends on HS football. The next footballcentric realignment in 2025-26 will more likely be to undo the geographically ridiculous conferences.

Duke95
07-14-2015, 05:23 PM
The McCants issue isn't in the NOA that I know -- for one thing, McCants refused to talk to NCAA investigators (gossip -- and its no more than that -- is that certain UNC boosters got to him... he'll be taken care of as long as he keeps his mouth shut going forward).

Of course, the story is out there and McCants famously said "Check the transcrips" I imagine the NCAA would have done that. So something is possible, McCants not repeating his charges to the NCAA gives UNC a potential out.

Here's the thing. NOBODY in their right mind would want to talk to the NCAA. I'm sure McCants' attorneys told him exactly that.
You have zero protection when you talk to the NCAA. UNC's representatives have the right to be there in the room and question the witness. Moreover, the NCAA has no subpoena power. So, when people like Boxill, and Nyang'oro don't talk to the NCAA, that doesn't mean anything other than their lawyers told them not to.

sagegrouse
07-14-2015, 05:45 PM
Here's the thing. NOBODY in their right mind would want to talk to the NCAA. I'm sure McCants' attorneys told him exactly that.
You have zero protection when you talk to the NCAA. UNC's representatives have the right to be there in the room and question the witness. Moreover, the NCAA has no subpoena power. So, when people like Boxill, and Nyang'oro don't talk to the NCAA, that doesn't mean anything other than their lawyers told them not to.

NCAA's hammer is that you have to answer questions if you want to coach or play at an NCAA school..

Duke95
07-14-2015, 05:56 PM
NCAA's hammer is that you have to answer questions if you want to coach or play at an NCAA school..

First, we are not talking about anyone who wants to coach or play.
Second, the "interview" isn't with the NCAA. It's with the NCAA and UNC officials.

sagegrouse
07-14-2015, 06:02 PM

First, we are not talking about anyone who wants to coach or play.
Second, the "interview" isn't with the NCAA. It's with the NCAA and UNC officials.

And so, Argumentative One, you disagree with my post? It still looks like a valid point to me: While no one wants to subject themselves to NCAA questions, players and coaches have no choice if they, well, want to play or coach.

Duke95
07-14-2015, 06:23 PM
And so, Argumentative One, you disagree with my post? It still looks like a valid point to me: While no one wants to subject themselves to NCAA questions, players and coaches have no choice if they, well, want to play or coach.

Well, I think your point is irrelevant in this case. Whether it is valid, I don't know. Did you look at the NCAA rules? If they agree with you, then yes, your point is valid. If not, no. I just don't know the rules with regard to coaches or players.

OldPhiKap
07-14-2015, 06:40 PM
This reminds me of what DBR was like back in the early Eighties:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/5999188/the_question_is_moot/

Ah, to have hair like that again. . . .

moonpie23
07-14-2015, 08:52 PM

yeah.....this sounds more like it!!

Troublemaker
07-15-2015, 06:57 PM
On the road again...

Today in Long Island for the Adidas All-American Camp

Eric Bossi ‏@ebosshoops (https://twitter.com/ebosshoops) 2m2 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/ebosshoops/status/621451874227650561)
Coach K plus two assistants watching Frank Jackson. Johnny Dawkins hanging out as well. #adidasuprising (https://twitter.com/hashtag/adidasuprising?src=hash)

Andrew Slater ‏@ASlater247 (https://twitter.com/ASlater247) 20m20 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/ASlater247/status/621447425690107908)
Duke's Jeff Capel & Jon Scheyer as well as Stanford's Johnny Dawkins are here for @247Sports (https://twitter.com/247Sports) #10 senior @FrankFjack5 (https://twitter.com/FrankFjack5) of @UtahProspects (https://twitter.com/UtahProspects)

Full list of players participating here: http://adidasuprising.com/adidas-grassroots-mens-events/adidas-uprising-all-american-camp/

No Dennis Smith. Will be interesting to see if Duke checks out PF Javin DeLaurier or G Rawle Alkins again.

Troublemaker
07-15-2015, 11:01 PM
Andrew Slater ‏@ASlater247 (https://twitter.com/ASlater247) 1h1 hour ago (https://twitter.com/ASlater247/status/621494370819248128)
Duke, Vanderbilt, Texas, & Notre Dame are here for 6'9" Javin DeLaurier @javelin_22 (https://twitter.com/javelin_22) of @teamloadedaau (https://twitter.com/teamloadedaau) #AdidasUprising (https://twitter.com/hashtag/AdidasUprising?src=hash)

Troublemaker
07-16-2015, 08:52 PM
Coach K left Long Island and is now in Chicago for the Nike Global Challenge.

Harrison Malkin ‏@HarrisonMalkin (https://twitter.com/HarrisonMalkin) 7h7 hours ago (https://twitter.com/HarrisonMalkin/status/621732965253545984)
Coach K, Bill Self & Tom Izzo are watching Gary Trent Jr. Duke is at 60% in the @247Sports (https://twitter.com/247Sports) Crystal Ball. Kansas & Michigan St. are "warm".

Coach K also saw Troy Brown: http://zagsblog.com/articles/troy-brown-jr-turns-heads-at-nike-global-challenge/

Self was on hand to watch the action Thursday, as was Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski. Seeing them left a good impression on Brown.

“It was a cool moment,” Brown said. “I didn’t get to see [Coach K] much at Peach Jam so for him to come out here, it was really fun playing in front of him. [Duke] is also a good program. Even though my list is open, I would say that they’re high on my list.”

roywhite
07-16-2015, 09:12 PM
Andrew Slater ‏@ASlater247 (https://twitter.com/ASlater247) 1h1 hour ago (https://twitter.com/ASlater247/status/621494370819248128)
Duke, Vanderbilt, Texas, & Notre Dame are here for 6'9" Javin DeLaurier @javelin_22 (https://twitter.com/javelin_22) of @teamloadedaau (https://twitter.com/teamloadedaau) #AdidasUprising (https://twitter.com/hashtag/AdidasUprising?src=hash)

Javin DeLaurier --- gotta give this guy a shot on name alone.

Who's your Daddy? -- DeLaurier

devildeac
07-16-2015, 10:52 PM

Which then begs for another humongous thread entitled "Bush Mispronounces DeLaurier.":o

sagegrouse
07-18-2015, 09:32 AM

Which then begs for another humongous thread entitled "Bush Mispronounces DeLaurier.":o

How about the chant? "Back to the Future -- DeLaurier!"

Troublemaker
07-18-2015, 10:42 PM
The 9:00am game will feature Duke-offered Wendell Carter vs wing DJ Harvey, who believes he will receive a Duke offer soon. Carter's team has been dominant in the Peach Jam and should win two more games tomorrow to take the Peach Jam championship.

Harvey was right.

DJ Harvey ‏@TheRealDJHarvey (https://twitter.com/TheRealDJHarvey) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/TheRealDJHarvey/status/622573201839800320)
Blessed to say I've been offered officially by Coach K and Duke!! #BlueDevilNation (https://twitter.com/hashtag/BlueDevilNation?src=hash)

Adam Rowe confirms:
http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-offers-2017-five-star-SG-DJ-Harvey-38273961

SilkyJ
07-18-2015, 11:41 PM
Harvey was right.

DJ Harvey ‏@TheRealDJHarvey (https://twitter.com/TheRealDJHarvey) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/TheRealDJHarvey/status/622573201839800320)
Blessed to say I've been offered officially by Coach K and Duke!! #BlueDevilNation (https://twitter.com/hashtag/BlueDevilNation?src=hash)

Adam Rowe confirms:
http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-offers-2017-five-star-SG-DJ-Harvey-38273961

Thanks! He's rated #9/10/17 by scout/247/espn so seemingly a great get for the wing. Here's a well put together mixtape (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omA2e0swSv0)I found for those interested--I hadn't seen video of him before this. He doesn't stand out as elite in any one category, but seems to do a lot of things well (which the scouting reports back-up): he's a good shooter, good slasher, good pull up game, good handles & passer, decent athleticism, solid defender. Scout does call him a "shockingly good rebounder for his position," which I found interesting. Anyone who's seen him in person please chime in.

Henderson
07-19-2015, 11:21 AM
DJ Harvey doesn't look like much of a baller to me, but kids these days freak me out on a lot of levels. So I've stopped asking questions.

lotusland
07-19-2015, 12:23 PM
Thanks! He's rated #9/10/17 by scout/247/espn so seemingly a great get for the wing. Here's a well put together mixtape (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omA2e0swSv0)I found for those interested--I hadn't seen video of him before this. He doesn't stand out as elite in any one category, but seems to do a lot of things well (which the scouting reports back-up): he's a good shooter, good slasher, good pull up game, good handles & passer, decent athleticism, solid defender. Scout does call him a "shockingly good rebounder for his position," which I found interesting. Anyone who's seen him in person please chime in.
Seems amphibious handling the ball and working around the basket. Pretty impressive for a rising sophomore .

gumbomoop
07-19-2015, 12:45 PM
Seems amphibious handling the ball and working around the basket. Pretty impressive for a rising sophomore .

Friendly amendment - rising junior.

Im4howdy
07-19-2015, 06:57 PM
Scout does call him a "shockingly good rebounder for his position," which I found interesting.

But the real question is, does SI find him "shockingly unathletic?"

Troublemaker
07-22-2015, 11:17 PM
Coaches K, Capel, and Scheyer in Vegas for a big adidas event

Corey Evans ‏@coreyevans_10 (https://twitter.com/coreyevans_10) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/coreyevans_10/status/624029686788550656)
Vanderbilt 3 deep led by Stallings for Javin DeLaurier. Duke the same led by Coach K. Danny Manning here for DeLaurier and Washington

Eric Bossi ‏@ebosshoops (https://twitter.com/ebosshoops) 34m34 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/ebosshoops/status/624046310904061952)
Duke has coach K plus two assistants and Stanford Johnny Dawkins plus 3 assistants front row for Frank Jackson.

Also, per twitter, Nate James is in Burlington, NJ for an event called Battle of the Borders. I don't see info on whom Duke is interested out there yet.

Troublemaker
07-22-2015, 11:30 PM
Andrew Slater ‏@ASlater247 (https://twitter.com/ASlater247) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/ASlater247/status/624026246989504512)
Coach K, @jeffcapel (https://twitter.com/jeffcapel) & @JonScheyer (https://twitter.com/JonScheyer) watched 6'9" @WenyenGabriel (https://twitter.com/WenyenGabriel) of @RivalsNation (https://twitter.com/RivalsNation) step up with 26 points, 8 rebounds & 3 blocks in a win #Duke (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Duke?src=hash)

burns15
07-23-2015, 12:34 AM
Andrew Slater ‏@ASlater247 (https://twitter.com/ASlater247) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/ASlater247/status/624026246989504512)
Coach K, @jeffcapel (https://twitter.com/jeffcapel) & @JonScheyer (https://twitter.com/JonScheyer) watched 6'9" @WenyenGabriel (https://twitter.com/WenyenGabriel) of @RivalsNation (https://twitter.com/RivalsNation) step up with 26 points, 8 rebounds & 3 blocks in a win #Duke (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Duke?src=hash)

I have a question, why are Capel and Scheyer almost always the two assistants with K, and Nate is often off by himself. I'm wondering what that says about Nate... is he lower on the totem pole? Is he the best scouter of the group? I'm not sure what it means, but it seems to be a trend. Perhaps someone could fill me in

Troublemaker
07-23-2015, 12:57 AM
I have a question, why are Capel and Scheyer almost always the two assistants with K, and Nate is often off by himself. I'm wondering what that says about Nate... is he lower on the totem pole? Is he the best scouter of the group? I'm not sure what it means, but it seems to be a trend. Perhaps someone could fill me in

Hard to say without being privy to the staff's private conversations. It seems Coach James is often assigned to under-the-radar types. For example, he was lead recruiter on Antonio Vrankovic. Nate also found Carrick Felix, as another example, although Felix didn't end up matriculating. The under-the-radar guys sometimes aren't at the major events by Nike and adidas, so Nate's often scouting alone. And indeed he may prefer it that way. Like I said, hard to say without being privy. Also, if Under Armour or other non-Big Two events are happening at the same time as Nike/Adidas, Nate will probably be there alone.

Troublemaker
07-23-2015, 01:27 AM
I expect the Duke coaches to be planted in Vegas through the weekend, including Coach James joining up at some point.

Here are box scores and schedules for the event: http://adidasuprising.com/adidas-summer-championships-schedule-and-stats/

Duke's recruits will be mostly in the 17U category.

SilkyJ
07-23-2015, 09:45 AM

You may recall that when Capel joined the staff a few years ago alongside Wojo and Collins, Nate essentially stepped aside and moved into a "special assistant" (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205148532) role. It was my understanding at the time that Nate wanted to spend less time on the road, part of that being family related, wanting to spend time with his kid(s), etc. My guess is that this may still partially be the case. Nate wants to spend less time on the road and therefore his responsibilities as an assistant are less focused on recruiting, and perhaps he takes on greater responsibility with the current kids. There are a myriad of responsibilities to be divided among the assistants, and it could easily be the case that Nate takes on a lesser share of recruiting responsibilities and a greater share of others.

NashvilleDevil
07-23-2015, 10:03 AM

Coach K doesn't want the baddest man on the planet scaring recruits away.

COYS
07-23-2015, 04:00 PM
You may recall that when Capel joined the staff a few years ago alongside Wojo and Collins, Nate essentially stepped aside and moved into a "special assistant" (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205148532) role. It was my understanding at the time that Nate wanted to spend less time on the road, part of that being family related, wanting to spend time with his kid(s), etc. My guess is that this may still partially be the case. Nate wants to spend less time on the road and therefore his responsibilities as an assistant are less focused on recruiting, and perhaps he takes on greater responsibility with the current kids. There are a myriad of responsibilities to be divided among the assistants, and it could easily be the case that Nate takes on a lesser share of recruiting responsibilities and a greater share of others.

This makes sense to me. He was in a few of the shots from the weight room in the freshman video intros. Personally, i can't imagine a better coach to have by a kid's side when doing strength and conditioning. Recruiting really isn't for everyone . . . in fact, I'd say that it's one of the biggest reasons why many pro coaches don't want college jobs, even good college jobs.

flyingdutchdevil
07-23-2015, 04:12 PM
This makes sense to me. He was in a few of the shots from the weight room in the freshman video intros. Personally, i can't imagine a better coach to have by a kid's side when doing strength and conditioning. Recruiting really isn't for everyone . . . in fact, I'd say that it's one of the biggest reasons why many pro coaches don't want college jobs, even good college jobs.

Wouldn't pay grade and coaching at the top league be two more important reasons? The top NBA coaches get paid a lot, and while college coaches can get paid a lot, the top 20% percentile doesn't compare with the NBA (tops of the tops does, like Coach K and Calipari, however). And the NBA is a significantly more prestigious league than college with international recognition, more fans, more $$$, and superstars. A successful Brad Stevens would never leave the NBA for college unless he flames out, and I'm not sure recruiting would be that big of a factor. After all, these NBA coaches travel a ton.

Troublemaker
07-23-2015, 06:35 PM
Jerry Meyer ‏@jerrymeyer247 (https://twitter.com/jerrymeyer247) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/jerrymeyer247/status/624316410747994112)
Coach K w two assistants watching Frank Jackson.

They saw quite a nice battle between Frank (28 points) and Dennis Smith Jr (26 points): https://basketball.exposureevents.com/custom/adidas/vegasgame?eventid=49630&gameid=913467

Eric Bossi ‏@ebosshoops (https://twitter.com/ebosshoops) 4h4 hours ago (https://twitter.com/ebosshoops/status/624289184702943233)
Coach K with a plus two, Coach Cal plus asst and many more watching Wendell Carter & loaded GA Stars team.

Adam Rowe ‏@BlueDevilLair (https://twitter.com/BlueDevilLair) 5h5 hours ago (https://twitter.com/BlueDevilLair/status/624274618292039680)
Adam Rowe retweeted Jordan Carter
Fresh new Nike Duke gear on Capel.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKneMkdWoAAfldc.jpg

CDu
07-24-2015, 10:31 AM

James moved to "special assistant" when Capel returned because there is a limit on the number of official coaches you can have. When Collins went to Northwestern, James became an assistant coach again.

Troublemaker
07-24-2015, 11:05 AM
Apparently Nike has a small little event in Vegas as well.

Last night, the staff was out trying to complete the package deal.

SLAM Magazine ‏@SLAMonline (https://twitter.com/SLAMonline) 16h16 hours ago (https://twitter.com/SLAMonline/status/624357751179735041)
Halftime: Team CP3 and Team Melo all tied up at 33-33. Top recruit Harry Giles putting in work in front of Coach K, Roy Williams and others.

Giles played great apparently:

Sam Vecenie ‏@Sam_Vecenie (https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie) 16h16 hours ago (https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/status/624352099422212096)
Seeing Harry Giles live for first time. Let’s just say that I get it. Dudes a freak. They’ve played him at the top of their zone on D, even.

Sam Vecenie ‏@Sam_Vecenie (https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie) 16h16 hours ago (https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/status/624359761446699008)
Honestly, Harry Giles is laughable on this level. Outright laughable.

Matt Norlander ‏@MattNorlander (https://twitter.com/MattNorlander) 15h15 hours ago (https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/624363019997347840)
Harry Giles is putting on just a stupid-good clinic, so I look back to the other side of the bleachers and see @Sam_Vecenie (https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie) beside himself

Troublemaker
07-25-2015, 09:30 AM
Looks like Derryck Thornton is still in Vegas (i.e. hasn't moved to Durham yet), so he joined our coaching staff to watch Jayson Tatum!

Andrew Slater ‏@ASlater247 (https://twitter.com/ASlater247) 15h (https://twitter.com/ASlater247/status/624711290376712193)

15 hours ago (https://twitter.com/ASlater247/status/624711290376712193)

#Duke (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Duke?src=hash) PG @DerryckThornton (https://twitter.com/DerryckThornton) walked in for Jayson Tatum's game. @tatumjustin40 (https://twitter.com/tatumjustin40) , @Im_that_dude22 (https://twitter.com/Im_that_dude22) Coach K, @jeffcapel (https://twitter.com/jeffcapel) & @JonScheyer (https://twitter.com/JonScheyer) courtside

Jayson still impressing viewers

Ryan James ‏@RyanJamesMN (https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN) 14h (https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/status/624724779224821760)

14 hours ago (https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/status/624724779224821760)

First thing I see walking back into gym? Jayson Tatum throwing down a Shawn Kemp standing vertical 1-hander on EP Elite. Coach K watching

As for non-offered players, Duke seemingly has interest in Wenyen Gabriel. They've watched him a few times now.

Paul Biancardi ‏@PaulBiancardi (https://twitter.com/PaulBiancardi) 16h (https://twitter.com/PaulBiancardi/status/624685731835842560)

16 hours ago (https://twitter.com/PaulBiancardi/status/624685731835842560)

Baseline for Wenyen Gabriel of Mass Rivals.R Williams Ed Cooley, Coach K, Mark Tuergeon, K Ollie, Chris Mullen, J Wright & B Self, Dawkins

Between all the activity with Gabriel and Javin DeLaurier, both 2016, I believe Duke is looking to offer a multi-year PF who will backup Harry Giles in his one year. It seems the staff is deciding between Gabriel and DeLaurier for the offer. I kind of prefer DeLaurier myself.

Troublemaker
07-25-2015, 09:33 AM
Running into old friends... And hey, Coach James has made it out to Vegas and linked up with the rest of the staff!

SunDevilSource.com ‏@SunDevilSource (https://twitter.com/SunDevilSource) 20h20 hours ago (https://twitter.com/SunDevilSource/status/624638385525620736)
Bobby Hurley talking with Coach K. Levi Watkins and Brian Merritt, Jeff Capel also in photo. Here for Thon Maker
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKspTVFUkAEzoSu.jpg
(https://twitter.com/SunDevilSource/status/624638385525620736/photo/1)

Troublemaker
07-25-2015, 09:43 AM
Another non-offered player we have interest in is 2017 PG Treyvon Duval

Dinos Trigonis ‏@trigonis30 (https://twitter.com/trigonis30) 19h (https://twitter.com/trigonis30/status/624645320845037568)

19 hours ago (https://twitter.com/trigonis30/status/624645320845037568)
Coach K and Duke staff 4 deep for Trevon Duval here at @LasVegasFab48 (https://twitter.com/LasVegasFab48) Gorman Court 3

Adam Rowe ‏@BlueDevilLair (https://twitter.com/BlueDevilLair) 20h (https://twitter.com/BlueDevilLair/status/624639037689757696)

20 hours ago (https://twitter.com/BlueDevilLair/status/624639037689757696)
Adam Rowe retweeted david ari kaye
#Duke (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Duke?src=hash) going with all four coaches for Five-Star 2017 PG Trevon Duval (@DatGuy_Trey (https://twitter.com/DatGuy_Trey)) http://247sports.com/Player/Trevon-Duval-36812 … (http://t.co/YCR2dsXvmL)

Miscellaneous commentary on Duke recruits:

Sam Vecenie ‏@Sam_Vecenie (https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie) 14h14 hours ago (https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/status/624718131521433600)
I love pretty much everything about Jayson Tatum outside of the obsession with 16-foot step back jumpers.

CourtCred ‏@courtcred (https://twitter.com/courtcred) 15h15 hours ago (https://twitter.com/courtcred/status/624717538874646528)
Watching Jayson Tatum & Malik Monk in pick n roll just isn't fair. Defenders have no clue what to do...darned if you do, darned if you don't

Jerry Meyer ‏@jerrymeyer247 (https://twitter.com/jerrymeyer247) Jul 23 (https://twitter.com/jerrymeyer247/status/624323055242731520)
Jerry Meyer retweeted Mike Melly
Frank Jackson will be a very good pro.

Phase1 Hoops ‏@Phase1Hoops (https://twitter.com/Phase1Hoops) 10h10 hours ago (https://twitter.com/Phase1Hoops/status/624788853774135296)
I think Duke is trying to get this Wendell Carter thing done. GA Stars vs. Hard 2 Guard in @BigfootHoops (https://twitter.com/BigfootHoops) #lvclassic (https://twitter.com/hashtag/lvclassic?src=hash)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKuyJWGUkAAlRMU.jpg
(https://twitter.com/Phase1Hoops/status/624788853774135296/photo/1)

BD80
07-25-2015, 11:20 AM

As for non-offered players, Duke seemingly has interest in Wenyen Gabriel. They've watched him a few times now.

Paul Biancardi ‏@PaulBiancardi (https://twitter.com/PaulBiancardi) 16h (https://twitter.com/PaulBiancardi/status/624685731835842560)

16 hours ago (https://twitter.com/PaulBiancardi/status/624685731835842560)

Baseline for Wenyen Gabriel of Mass Rivals.R Williams Ed Cooley, Coach K, Mark Tuergeon, K Ollie, Chris Mullen, J Wright & B Self, Dawkins

Between all the activity with Gabriel and Javin DeLaurier, both 2016, I believe Duke is looking to offer a multi-year PF who will backup Harry Giles in his one year. It seems the staff is deciding between Gabriel and DeLaurier for the offer. I kind of prefer DeLaurier myself.

Looks like Gabriel is absolutely blowing up. Ranked in the 80s currently, probably top 25 in the next rankings. May not be content backing up Giles. Sounds like Brey has been on the kid for a while, but now has plenty of company at his games. Duke was four deep at a recent game, and has been at several of his games.

Troublemaker
07-25-2015, 07:30 PM
More Wenyen Watching today:

Adam Finkelstein ‏@AdamFinkelstein (https://twitter.com/AdamFinkelstein) 3h3 hours ago (https://twitter.com/AdamFinkelstein/status/625034031088832513)
Coach K watching Wenyen Gabriel instead of Dennis Smith right now. Calipari, Williams & Gottfreid watching Smith #adidasUprising (https://twitter.com/hashtag/adidasUprising?src=hash)

Looks like Gabriel is absolutely blowing up. Ranked in the 80s currently, probably top 25 in the next rankings. May not be content backing up Giles. Sounds like Brey has been on the kid for a while, but now has plenty of company at his games. Duke was four deep at a recent game, and has been at several of his games.

Hopefully not the case! Use the year to build your body, Wenyen! In any case, let's see if Duke offers first.

Another non-offer that was watched:

Jason Scheer ‏@JasonScheer (https://twitter.com/JasonScheer) 5h5 hours ago (https://twitter.com/JasonScheer/status/625009343885283328)
After yesterday's performance, De'Aaron Fox has Roy Williams, Coach K, Sean Miller, Billy Kennedy, and Russell Westbrook in attendance

Troublemaker
07-25-2015, 07:58 PM
DeLaurier also got a viewing today:

Andrew Slater ‏@ASlater247 (https://twitter.com/ASlater247) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/ASlater247/status/625065816191447040)
Texas, Duke, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, UNC & Princeton among the schools for @javelin_22 (https://twitter.com/javelin_22) of @teamloadedaau (https://twitter.com/teamloadedaau) 4 star w/ a 32 ACT #adidasuprising (https://twitter.com/hashtag/adidasuprising?src=hash)

Will be interesting to see who wins between DeLaurier and Gabriel for the Duke offer.

JasonEvans
07-26-2015, 09:38 AM
DeLaurier also got a viewing today:

Andrew Slater ‏@ASlater247 (https://twitter.com/ASlater247) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/ASlater247/status/625065816191447040)
Texas, Duke, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, UNC & Princeton among the schools for @javelin_22 (https://twitter.com/javelin_22) of @teamloadedaau (https://twitter.com/teamloadedaau) 4 star w/ a 32 ACT #adidasuprising (https://twitter.com/hashtag/adidasuprising?src=hash)

Will be interesting to see who wins between DeLaurier and Gabriel for the Duke offer.

DeLaurier has a 32 ACT? That's very impressive. That is a "get into Duke without needing basketball as a hook" kind of score. no wonder Princeton is checking up on him. I wonder why Tommy and Harvard are not in the mix too.

-Jason "32 ACT is like a low-mid 1400s on the SAT" Evans

conmanlhughes
07-26-2015, 01:14 PM
DeLaurier has a 32 ACT? That's very impressive. That is a "get into Duke without needing basketball as a hook" kind of score. no wonder Princeton is checking up on him. I wonder why Tommy and Harvard are not in the mix too.

Might want to check your scale there. 32 ACT is like a 2000+ SAT score.

Des Esseintes
07-26-2015, 01:35 PM
Might want to check your scale there. 32 ACT is like a 2000+ SAT score.

He is referring to the test's former 1600 point scale. The Writing section was not always party of the SAT, and its inclusion added 800 points.

conmanlhughes
07-26-2015, 02:04 PM
He is referring to the test's former 1600 point scale. The Writing section was not always party of the SAT, and its inclusion added 800 points.

I know. But the test Delaurier has taken is the 2400 scale one. Might be confusing considering 1400 is below average now adays.

Yet, the test will be moving back to the old scale in 2017... So theres that...

Troublemaker
07-26-2015, 02:39 PM

Interestingly, these two are actually going to go head to head today in the Adidas tournament final, if I'm reading the bracket correctly. The final will be televised on ESPNU at 6pm ET. (I won't be watching, but some of you may be interested.) The staff may be there, but I could definitely see them catching an early flight from Vegas home instead of sticking around, if they feel they've seen enough to make a decision on which guy to offer.

BD80
07-26-2015, 03:35 PM
Interestingly, these two are actually going to go head to head today in the Adidas tournament final, if I'm reading the bracket correctly. The final will be televised on ESPNU at 6pm ET. (I won't be watching, but some of you may be interested.) The staff may be there, but I could definitely see them catching an early flight from Vegas home instead of sticking around, if they feel they've seen enough to make a decision on which guy to offer.

Or they might just hang out in Vegas for a couple of weeks until the Team USA workouts. (I'm sure much of the staff will be back on campus to monitor this years' Duke squad).

Coach K might have a pretty sweet suite if there is an extended stay.

I wonder if he dropped the Team USA gathering into his texts to the current targets? ("So stoked! Blake and Melo confirmed they'll be coming to camp here in Vegas, along with 4/5 of the starting line-up of the World Champion Warriors.")

Troublemaker
07-26-2015, 08:49 PM
Interestingly, these two are actually going to go head to head today in the Adidas tournament final, if I'm reading the bracket correctly. The final will be televised on ESPNU at 6pm ET.

Looking at the box score, Gabriel had the better performance, and DeLaurier won the game.

Upthread, I expressed a preference for DeLaurier, which was based on youtube scouting. But, after digging into the stats at this Adidas tournament, I'll change my preference to Gabriel.

Stats: During this event, Gabriel (https://basketball.exposureevents.com/custom/adidas/vegasplayer?id=49630&teamplayerid=87042) was more productive and showed better skill than DeLaurier (https://basketball.exposureevents.com/custom/adidas/vegasplayer?id=49630&teamplayerid=88008), who I think is the more fluid athlete but can't measure up in outside shooting and free throw shooting. Gabriel also looks to be the better shotblocker, which makes him a great fit to be a stretch-4 for Duke or any college, really. Kentucky offered Gabriel, so they see a major talent.

Note: Adidas' site makes a mistake when calculating shooting percentages, so it's better to just look at the raw makes and misses.

BD80
07-26-2015, 09:06 PM
Looking at the box score, Gabriel had the better performance, and DeLaurier won the game.

Upthread, I expressed a preference for DeLaurier, which was based on youtube scouting. But, after digging into the stats at this Adidas tournament, I'll change my preference to Gabriel.

Stats: During this event, Gabriel (https://basketball.exposureevents.com/custom/adidas/vegasplayer?id=49630&teamplayerid=87042) was more productive and showed better skill than DeLaurier (https://basketball.exposureevents.com/custom/adidas/vegasplayer?id=49630&teamplayerid=88008), who I think is the more fluid athlete but can't measure up in outside shooting and free throw shooting. Gabriel also looks to be the better shotblocker, which makes him a great fit to be a stretch-4 for Duke or any college, really. Kentucky offered Gabriel, so they see a major talent.

Note: Adidas' site makes a mistake when calculating shooting percentages, so it's better to just look at the raw makes and misses.

One must also consider what the growth potential of the recruit will be over the next couple of years. Gabriel seems to be trending upward.

JasonEvans
07-27-2015, 11:44 AM
I know. But the test Delaurier has taken is the 2400 scale one. Might be confusing considering 1400 is below average now adays.

Yet, the test will be moving back to the old scale in 2017... So theres that...

For everyone over the age of 28, the 1600 scale is what we know. That is why I compared his ACT to the 1600 scale. There is so much dissatisfaction about the Writing section of the SAT (soon to be gone in the next year) that even my college freshman son, who took the SAT and ACT multiple times the past 18 months, often only speaks about scores in terms of the 1600 scale. Many schools say they do not look at the writing score.

I'm bummed the writing even exists as my son got an 800 on his math and a 700 on his verbal, but his writing score was a fairly poor 600. Still, he got into his first choice (Haverford, Duke was his second choice) so it is all good.

-Jason "back on point, Delaurier's ACT score is truly impressive" Evans

ice-9
07-27-2015, 12:54 PM
For everyone over the age of 28, the 1600 scale is what we know. That is why I compared his ACT to the 1600 scale. There is so much dissatisfaction about the Writing section of the SAT (soon to be gone in the next year) that even my college freshman son, who took the SAT and ACT multiple times the past 18 months, often only speaks about scores in terms of the 1600 scale. Many schools say they do not look at the writing score.

I'm bummed the writing even exists as my son got an 800 on his math and a 700 on his verbal, but his writing score was a fairly poor 600. Still, he got into his first choice (Haverford, Duke was his second choice) so it is all good.

Congrats to you and your son! Getting into Duke or similar top school is an amazing accomplishment. I interview kids in my area for Duke and am floored by how mature and polished they are these days. I don't think I would've gotten in.

Dev11
07-27-2015, 01:03 PM

This is peak parent humble brag. Bravo, Evans and son.

Troublemaker
07-27-2015, 03:09 PM
This is peak parent humble brag. Bravo, Evans and son.

LOL.

The genius was in how Jason set it up with his post the day before. He knew that the accuracy-obsessed EKB could not possibly allow the following signature to go without comment:

Thus, his setup post ensured his follow-up reply where he could slip in the news about his son.

Tremendous humblebrag. I was wondering what Jason was doing posting in this thread, and now I know.

I suppose had his son gotten into Oxford, his setup post would've been something like:

Rumour has it that Duke is interested in 6'10" (208 cm) big man Wenyen Gabriel. With his great defence and improving offence, Gabriel is showing that he is a 5-star calibre prospect.

- Jason "A good analogue to Gabriel might be Luol Deng" Evans

All kidding aside, congrats Jason!

Troublemaker
07-27-2015, 03:46 PM
Welp, with the news that Duke has offered Wenyen, that's a wrap for this thread.

I'd say it's been a pretty eventful July. We saw the coaches criss-crossing the country to appear at recruited players' games and also to scout new players for new offers. We got a commitment from Jayson Tatum, which is huge, and we were able to put two more offers out there to 2016 PF Wenyen Gabriel and 2017 WF DJ Harvey. Most importantly, we got news that Duke is the hottest program in recruiting right now.

With July done, Coach K and the staff will spend August multi-tasking. Coach needs to prepare for the USA minicamp, and at the same time, he and the staff and the captains will need to acclimate the freshmen to Duke basketball, as much as the NCAA will allow them to be worked with before the season starts.

The next recruiting period will begin around mid-September and last into November for the early signing period. That's when they can hold in-home visits and visits at the high school. I'll probably twitter-stalk the coaches then as well. In the meantime, I think only on-campus visits are allowed right now.

Here's the Wenyen tweet to wrap up this thread:

WenyenGabriel™ ‏@WenyenGabriel (https://twitter.com/WenyenGabriel) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/WenyenGabriel/status/625725830421970944)
Just received an offer from Duke! Blessed to have so many people in my life believe in me!