PDA

View Full Version : Richest from Duke? (Front page)

freshmanjs
07-08-2015, 01:54 AM
How does DBR know the salaries, other earnings, wealth of everyone who was at Duke last year? I would expect that Okafor is almost certainly not the richest graduate.

dukelifer
07-08-2015, 07:10 AM
How does DBR know the salaries, other earnings, wealth of everyone who was at Duke last year? I would expect that Okafor is almost certainly not the richest graduate.

Likely the highest salary. Not many that give someone over 3.5M a year- particularly straight out of college.

johnb
07-08-2015, 08:57 AM
The headline asserted that Jah was the richest from Duke. He will likely have the highest number on his W-2, especially if we look at kids who entered Duke in 2014. Unless Duke has changed a lot since I was there, he's far from being the richest (ie, having the highest net worth)--but give him time.

roywhite
07-08-2015, 09:27 AM
The headline asserted that Jah was the richest from Duke. He will likely have the highest number on his W-2, especially if we look at kids who entered Duke in 2014. Unless Duke has changed a lot since I was there, he's far from being the richest (ie, having the highest net worth)--but give him time.

Safe to say that former Duke basketball players are a very important group for donations to Duke, and that the potential is only increasing.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-08-2015, 10:49 AM
Safe to say that former Duke basketball players are a very important group for donations to Duke, and that the potential is only increasing.

For many years the demographic group giving to most to Duke was former football players. What a startling phenomenon especially during the period of time the football program was neglected.

CrazyNotCrazie
07-08-2015, 12:25 PM
In the mid-90s it was said that Duke sociology majors had the highest average starting salary of any sociology majors in the country as I believe both Laettner and Hurley were sociology majors.

sagegrouse
07-08-2015, 12:28 PM

Seems like a reasonable surmise on the part of DBR. I mean, do even the richest "Trustafarians" get actual control of assets yielding over $3 million in income when they are 21 or 22?

On DitBD's point of generosity by football players: a number from my era (1960's) became prominent CEO's (John Mack, Jack Wilson, Roy Bostock, etc.).

cato
07-08-2015, 12:36 PM
Seems like a reasonable surmise on the part of DBR. I mean, do even the richest "Trustafarians" get actual control of assets yielding over $3 million in income when they are 21 or 22?

On DitBD's point of generosity by football players: a number from my era (1960's) became prominent CEO's (John Mack, Jack Wilson, Roy Bostock, etc.).

DBR did not say income.

I would imagine that at least one person who left Duke last year had a higher net worth than Okafor. It is also possible that some had higher income, although that might be dicier. One person in my class was quite wealthy, simply because he was from a very wealthy family, and his father died young. I have no idea what his actual net worth or income were, but it is conceivable that they were quite high.

While well paid sports players will make more in yearly income than I, and most people on this board, will ever make (by several multiples), it is probably a good idea to keep in mind the vast gulf between hefty annual income and the true wealth that many families wield.

sagegrouse
07-08-2015, 01:16 PM
DBR did not say income.

I would imagine that at least one person who left Duke last year had a higher net worth than Okafor. It is also possible that some had higher income, although that might be dicier. One person in my class was quite wealthy, simply because he was from a very wealthy family, and his father died young. I have no idea what his actual net worth or income were, but it is conceivable that they were quite high.

While well paid sports players will make more in yearly income than I, and most people on this board, will ever make (by several multiples), it is probably a good idea to keep in mind the vast gulf between hefty annual income and the true wealth that many families wield.

For what it's worth, the article has been edited to remove salary or wealth comparisons with classmates.