PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Theme Park Wars

neemizzle
07-04-2015, 06:24 AM
I don't know if anyone else here is a theme park fan, but we're in the midst of the biggest theme park war (most likely) in history right now between the parks in Orlando, FL.

Universal just announced a new King Kong ride, and a new waterpark (with a killer looking volcano slide thing)

But the articles below is very telling about what's gonna happen next.

http://thisisinfamous.com/3-billion-allow-star-wars-pixar-and-indiana-jones-to-overhaul-disneys-hollywood-studios-exclusive/

THREE BILLION DOLLARS. Sheesh, share the wealth Disney. You charge $100 a day!

BD80
07-04-2015, 09:16 AM
I don't know if anyone else here is a theme park fan, but we're in the midst of the biggest theme park war (most likely) in history right now between the parks in Orlando, FL.

Universal just announced a new King Kong ride, and a new waterpark (with a killer looking volcano slide thing)

http://thisisinfamous.com/3-billion-allow-star-wars-pixar-and-indiana-jones-to-overhaul-disneys-hollywood-studios-exclusive/

Sounds like Disney is investing a lot in the Indiana Jones franchise in its theme parks. That has to mean big money for Chris Pratt.

JasonEvans
07-04-2015, 10:31 AM
Sounds like Disney is investing a lot in the Indiana Jones franchise in its theme parks. That has to mean big money for Chris Pratt.

There isn't even a script yet for the Indy reboot that Kathleen Kennedy has been talking about. Once they get a script, then they can worry about an actor. Despite the internet assuming it would be Chris Pratt, I won't be shocked if ends up being someone different. Pratt's franchise schedule -- with several Guardians/Marvel films and now Jurassic sequels as well -- is going to be pretty darn busy.

-Jason "Pratt may be more expensive than they want at this point" Evans

Jarhead
07-04-2015, 11:06 AM

Maybe I'm missing something. A new ride and a new waterpark at Universal is no more than a gnat landing on the Disney nose.

neemizzle
07-04-2015, 11:47 AM
Maybe I'm missing something. A new ride and a new waterpark at Universal is no more than a gnat landing on the Disney nose.

They've been nailing Disney the last few years with Harry Potter. Disney's answer was New Fantasyland and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. Which fails in comparison.

I think this will be the thing that really gets it moving for the 50th in 2021.

BD80
07-04-2015, 12:30 PM
There isn't even a script yet for the Indy reboot that Kathleen Kennedy has been talking about. Once they get a script, then they can worry about an actor. Despite the internet assuming it would be Chris Pratt, I won't be shocked if ends up being someone different. Pratt's franchise schedule -- with several Guardians/Marvel films and now Jurassic sequels as well -- is going to be pretty darn busy.

But they can't risk a Ben Affleck Daredevil or Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern or a George Clooney Batman.

Olympic Fan
07-04-2015, 12:48 PM

Isn't Pratt also shooting a "Magnificent Seven" reboot (with Denzel Washington)?

cspan37421
07-04-2015, 01:46 PM
Wait - I thought no one went there anymore, because it's too crowded. ;)

Seriously, I'm so glad my kids have grown out of that age range where they were interested in going to these hot-as-heck money-liberating theme parks where you spend all day battling sunburn, heat, dehydration, athlete's foot (and worse!), and of course lines for rides. And the real kicker is that if for any reason attendance drops, the benefits of less crowding will not accrue to you, the park-goer, because Disney will just shut stuff down to ensure it stays just as crowded as before. Put me in the curmudgeonly old man "not worth it" group.

And stay off my lawn! :D

neemizzle
07-04-2015, 02:02 PM
Wait - I thought no one went there anymore, because it's too crowded. ;)

Seriously, I'm so glad my kids have grown out of that age range where they were interested in going to these hot-as-heck money-liberating theme parks where you spend all day battling sunburn, heat, dehydration, athlete's foot (and worse!), and of course lines for rides. And the real kicker is that if for any reason attendance drops, the benefits of less crowding will not accrue to you, the park-goer, because Disney will just shut stuff down to ensure it stays just as crowded as before. Put me in the curmudgeonly old man "not worth it" group.

And stay off my lawn! :D

I'm a diehard Disney Parks fan. I used go love going for 6-7 days as a kid, but the last couple of years, I've only done 4 days. That was enough. I must say, I took my mom/step dad/stepsister there last November (we went to Miami first for the Homestead NASCAR Race). My point is, I definitely understand what you're saying. It depends on who you ask about Disney. November for me was perfect weather, temperature, and perfect waits. I'd recommend anyone going during that week (week before Thanksgiving). Christmas stuff is up, don't have to wait longer than 30 minutes and if you're lucky, you'll get free dining plan like we did.

It definitely depends. It can be brutal. I've done the 24 hour day at Magic Kingdom the last couple of years in May, that's ridiculous. It got to 105° last year.