PDA

View Full Version : 2012, the cursed recruiting class

JasonEvans
07-02-2015, 01:11 PM
So I happened to be looking at the RSCI rankings of the high school class of 2012 (http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/recruit_rankings_2012.html), guys who would be rising seniors in college ball. Usually, when one looks at a class after a few years, you can see a few budding NBA stars on it as well as a lot of guys who are going to earn NBA money for a long time. You will also see players who had a major impact on the college game. 2012... not so much.

At the top of the class we have Nerlens Noel and Shabazz Muhammed. Both are in the NBA but neither seems to be on the path to stardom. Injuries have played a major impact on their careers thus far.

Next is Isaiah Austin, who was a very good but not great player for Baylor for a couple years but then had his career ended by Marfan Syndrome.

The rest of the top 10 includes guy who are still in college like Kaleb Tarczewski and Alex Poythress and guys who are in the NBA but not exactly lighting it up. Just outside the top 10, we get players like Rasheed Suliamon and Rodney Purvis, who are moving around the college scene. Gary Harris, TJ Warren, Sam Dekker, and Brandon Ashley are probably the best, most-impactful college players in the class. I guess Brice Johnson and Marcus Paige have a chance to change that this year... maybe.

There isn't a single guy in the class who looks like he will be even close to being a future NBA all-star. I don't think any member of the class made a post-season college hoops All-American 1st or 2nd team. This has to be one of the worst high school classes in terms of talent in a long, long time.

-Jason "I just checked, Marcus Smart and TJ Warren were AP 2nd team All-Americans, but that's about it" Evans

Tom B.
07-02-2015, 02:37 PM
So I happened to be looking at the RSCI rankings of the high school class of 2012 (http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/recruit_rankings_2012.html), guys who would be rising seniors in college ball. Usually, when one looks at a class after a few years, you can see a few budding NBA stars on it as well as a lot of guys who are going to earn NBA money for a long time. You will also see players who had a major impact on the college game. 2012... not so much.

At the top of the class we have Nerlens Noel and Shabazz Muhammed. Both are in the NBA but neither seems to be on the path to stardom. Injuries have played a major impact on their careers thus far.

Next is Isaiah Austin, who was a very good but not great player for Baylor for a couple years but then had his career ended by Marfan Syndrome.

The rest of the top 10 includes guy who are still in college like Kaleb Tarczewski and Alex Poythress and guys who are in the NBA but not exactly lighting it up. Just outside the top 10, we get players like Rasheed Suliamon and Rodney Purvis, who are moving around the college scene. Gary Harris, TJ Warren, Sam Dekker, and Brandon Ashley are probably the best, most-impactful college players in the class. I guess Brice Johnson and Marcus Paige have a chance to change that this year... maybe.

There isn't a single guy in the class who looks like he will be even close to being a future NBA all-star. I don't think any member of the class made a post-season college hoops All-American 1st or 2nd team. This has to be one of the worst high school classes in terms of talent in a long, long time.

-Jason "I just checked, Marcus Smart and TJ Warren were AP 2nd team All-Americans, but that's about it" Evans

You're forgetting about the biggest star of all from that class, the great J.P. Tokoto! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_trmTcEhPOg)

CDu
07-02-2015, 02:50 PM
Willie Cauley (now Willie Cauley-Stein) was a consensus 1st-team All-American this year and #6 pick. But as a whole, it's a pretty weak class.

ElSid
07-02-2015, 05:44 PM
Remember this article?

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nerlens-noel-the-other-rookie-of-the-year/

I'd argue that Nerlens Noel has a really good shot at stardom in the association.

Alas, he lost out to Wiggins and the bias toward scoring.

With Okafor next to him, he could blossom at least into a Tyson Chandler type guy.

JNort
07-02-2015, 08:09 PM
TJ Warren could be an All Star. Have you seen him when he finally gets pt? Looks like an all star to me. To bad he's on the suns