PDA

View Full Version : Future of Syracuse Basketball

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-26-2015, 05:52 PM
Just saw this on ESPN from yesterday- Mike Hopkins will follow Jimmy B at Syracuse (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13148406/syracuse-orange-announce-mike-hopkins-jim-boeheim-successor)... probably in 2018.

Sort of surprised there's not more chatter here. Or anywhere, really.

MartyClark
06-26-2015, 06:59 PM
Just saw this on ESPN from yesterday- Mike Hopkins will follow Jimmy B at Syracuse (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13148406/syracuse-orange-announce-mike-hopkins-jim-boeheim-successor)... probably in 2018.

Sort of surprised there's not more chatter here. Or anywhere, really.

Interesting. I'm not a big fan of appointing the successor several years in advance. Has this type of plan ever worked at a major basketball power?

yancem
06-26-2015, 09:10 PM
Interesting. I'm not a big fan of appointing the successor several years in advance. Has this type of plan ever worked at a major basketball power?

I'm half waiting for Duke to name Capel the next head coach in X years. It all depends on how much longer K wants to coach, of course, but with the recruiting success that we have had the past couple years and look to have the next couple of years, coupled with a strong suspicion that Capel had a hand in the switch to the zone defense that was a turning point in a championship season, it seems like a real possibility. Capel wants to be a head coach again but is willing to wait for the right opportunity. He would probably be willing to wait a bit longer if he new that Duke could be that opportunity. Pure speculation of course and again if K decides to coach for another decade (yes, please) then it probably won't happen. But if K says, I think 3-5 more years will be enough, I'm betting Capel will be hearing about it well before anyone else.

Jarhead
06-26-2015, 09:58 PM
I'm half waiting for Duke to name Capel the next head coach in X years. It all depends on how much longer K wants to coach, of course, but with the recruiting success that we have had the past couple years and look to have the next couple of years, coupled with a strong suspicion that Capel had a hand in the switch to the zone defense that was a turning point in a championship season, it seems like a real possibility. Capel wants to be a head coach again but is willing to wait for the right opportunity. He would probably be willing to wait a bit longer if he new that Duke could be that opportunity. Pure speculation of course and again if K decides to coach for another decade (yes, please) then it probably won't happen. But if K says, I think 3-5 more years will be enough, I'm betting Capel will be hearing about it well before anyone else.

It's okay by me. As for Syracuse, they didn't ask me, but they can appoint any coach they want.

Faustus
06-26-2015, 11:31 PM
But this was just affirming old news they'd announced long ago, right? Even before their own little NCAA difficulties? I know little about Syracuse hoops, but even I was aware that this was the expected succession for some years now, so nothing for the press to get worked up over, is my guess for the quiet cricket sounds and tumbleweeds rolling past this news.

lotusland
06-27-2015, 09:07 AM
Makes sense for recruiting to announce in advance. I'm guessing Battle doesn't plan to be there long enough to miss Jimmy

ACCBBallFan
06-28-2015, 11:01 PM
http://zagsblog.com/articles/syracuse-lands-7-foot-2-providence-center-paschal-chukwu/

"According to NunesMagician.com, the Orange are now over their scholarship limit of 10 and will begin their NCAA-mandated reductions in 2016-17."

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2015/6/28/8858343/report-syracuse-offers-7-foot-2-paschal-chukwu

So how they can also be in the battle for Tyus Battle is baffling.

JasonEvans
06-29-2015, 09:54 AM

Ummm, Tom Izzo seems to have worked out ok for MSU. When Judd Heathcote got up there in years, Izzo was effectively named "coach in waiting" and some even called him the co-coach of the team for Heathcote's last couple years. When Heathcote retired, I don't even think they did a coaching search, they just gave the job to Izzo. I recall thinking it was a strange situation at the time, but it worked out excellently for Sparty.

-Jason "similarly, at Florida State, Jimbo Fisher was 'head coach in waiting' late in Bobby Bowden's career and that too has worked out pretty well" Evans

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-29-2015, 11:13 AM
Ummm, Tom Izzo seems to have worked out ok for MSU. When Judd Heathcote got up there in years, Izzo was effectively named "coach in waiting" and some even called him the co-coach of the team for Heathcote's last couple years. When Heathcote retired, I don't even think they did a coaching search, they just gave the job to Izzo. I recall thinking it was a strange situation at the time, but it worked out excellently for Sparty.

-Jason "similarly, at Florida State, Jimbo Fisher was 'head coach in waiting' late in Bobby Bowden's career and that too has worked out pretty well" Evans

I know this is a well-worn topic here, but does anyone with an ear to the department have a sense for what succession might look like at Duke? I can envision that if Capel were tapped as the man (seems likely in my book) there could be a fairly lengthy "handing over of the keys" if there seemed to be a benefit to that. If I were a recruit for Duke, I'd find comfort in knowing that if/when K hangs it up, the other guy who sat in my living room would still be there.

And not that recruiting is everything, but it sure has jumped into the stratosphere since Capel returned. Additionally, he seems to not be looking at the big D-1 jobs that come calling...

Just seems to me like a good potential transition. You know, to take place shortly before the 2031-2032 season, after K passes Wooden for titles.

jimsumner
06-29-2015, 12:14 PM
I know this is a well-worn topic here, but does anyone with an ear to the department have a sense for what succession might look like at Duke? I can envision that if Capel were tapped as the man (seems likely in my book) there could be a fairly lengthy "handing over of the keys" if there seemed to be a benefit to that. If I were a recruit for Duke, I'd find comfort in knowing that if/when K hangs it up, the other guy who sat in my living room would still be there.

And not that recruiting is everything, but it sure has jumped into the stratosphere since Capel returned. Additionally, he seems to not be looking at the big D-1 jobs that come calling...

Just seems to me like a good potential transition. You know, to take place shortly before the 2031-2032 season, after K passes Wooden for titles.

2031-32? That's just silly. You think it will take that long to pass Wooden? :)

andyw715
06-29-2015, 02:36 PM
http://zagsblog.com/articles/syracuse-lands-7-foot-2-providence-center-paschal-chukwu/

"According to NunesMagician.com, the Orange are now over their scholarship limit of 10 and will begin their NCAA-mandated reductions in 2016-17."

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2015/6/28/8858343/report-syracuse-offers-7-foot-2-paschal-chukwu

So how they can also be in the battle for Tyus Battle is baffling.

+1 scholarship on appeal, likely
Some sort of transfer also likely.
DJ Coleman, while having 2 years of eligibility and has been working his butt off since his knee surgery, will graduate in December. His knee is the question mark, most likely.

MartyClark
06-29-2015, 08:46 PM

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure why you started with the condescending "Umm" but you did answer the questions.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-30-2015, 05:37 AM
2031-32? That's just silly. You think it will take that long to pass Wooden? :)

I didn't say IMMEDIATELY after.... :)

Billy Dat
06-30-2015, 11:26 AM

The thing about K eventually stepping aside that seems really hard to imagine is how it will impact his family. Aside from Mickie, all 3 daughters are heavily involved in the program and Chris Spatola, his son-in-law, may not be on the bench anymore but he's completely enmeshed in the program. When K steps down, do they all get the heave-ho, too? Granted, K is capable of anything so when he stops coaching, I fully expect him to start-up some kind of venture akin to former presidents and their foundations and I am sure there'd be enough work to keep his family busy if something like that happened, but I'd imagine that if someone in the family, like Capel, took over then maybe some of the family could stay involved.

-jk
06-30-2015, 06:59 PM
The thing about K eventually stepping aside that seems really hard to imagine is how it will impact his family. Aside from Mickie, all 3 daughters are heavily involved in the program and Chris Spatola, his son-in-law, may not be on the bench anymore but he's completely enmeshed in the program. When K steps down, do they all get the heave-ho, too? Granted, K is capable of anything so when he stops coaching, I fully expect him to start-up some kind of venture akin to former presidents and their foundations and I am sure there'd be enough work to keep his family busy if something like that happened, but I'd imagine that if someone in the family, like Capel, took over then maybe some of the family could stay involved.

I suspect he's earned enough money (the old fashioned way) to take care of his kids and grandkids. Regardless of their employment.

-jk

Billy Dat
06-30-2015, 09:37 PM
I suspect he's earned enough money (the old fashioned way) to take care of his kids and grandkids. Regardless of their employment.

-jk

That much is certainly clear, but I am sure they enjoy their work and have built their lives around the program. They are still pretty young.