PDA

View Full Version : The Dean Smith Award

Dukehky
06-24-2015, 09:14 PM
Goes to one associated with college basketball that embodies all that is good about college sports, just like Dean did.

Haha, can't make this stuff up.

Next, we'll have the Pete Rose Baseball Award (taken from somebody from the Scout sight)

mattman91
06-24-2015, 09:48 PM
Goes to one associated with college basketball that embodies all that is good about college sports, just like Dean did.

Next, we'll have the Pete Rose Baseball Award (taken from somebody from the Scout sight)

Who at Texas should receive this award?

tteettimes
06-24-2015, 10:13 PM
You embarrass me !!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-25-2015, 06:28 AM
You embarrass me !!

Too soon?

I would say, given the fact that the NCAA "issues" began under Dean's watch, that there has been plenty of time spent praising and white-washing Deano's illustrious career.

He won a lot of games. He was a perfect foil for Duke and K. He was far from a perfect man.

(This is a perfect off-season thread...)

arnie
06-25-2015, 07:10 AM

I'm just happy they aren't naming it the "Roy & Sylvia" award. At least not yet.

Lord Ash
06-25-2015, 07:14 AM
Ridiculous. Hired right after a massive cheating scheme, and at the helm for the start of what is literally the biggest cheating scandal in the history of college sports, and he gets an award announced, just days after the NCAA releases the NOA and SACS puts the school on probation, the first time in history that has happened?

Just absolutely frikking ridiculous.

devildeac
06-25-2015, 08:29 AM

I wouldn't bet on that Pete Rose Award coming to fruition...

OldPhiKap
06-25-2015, 09:04 AM
You embarrass me !!

Agreed. I mean, how can you people besmirch the deified name of Saint Dean the Perfect? I tremble even typing his name.

Side question - is the award sponsored by the good folks at Helms Bakery by any chance? And does it come with a side of irony?

Duvall
06-25-2015, 01:25 PM
So let's come up with some nominees for the first annual Dean Smith Outstanding Award in the Field of Excellence. A couple of suggestions:

William Francis "Bo" Ryan, University of Wisconsin. Ryan's petulance and passive aggressive complaining after a disappointing Final Four result reminded many of the glory days of the Dean Smith era.

John Calipari, University of Kentucky. Calipari's recent invention of positionless basketball (http://www.kentucky.com/2015/06/20/3910251/caliparis-latest-seduction-position.html) recalls the creativity and insight shown by Smith in developing the Four Corners. (http://www.hoophall.com/hall-of-famers/tag/john-b-mclendon) Greatness personified.

OldPhiKap
06-25-2015, 01:30 PM
So let's come up with some nominees for the first annual Dean Smith Outstanding Award in the Field of Excellence. A couple of suggestions:

William Francis "Bo" Ryan, University of Wisconsin. Ryan's petulance and passive aggressive complaining after a disappointing Final Four result reminded many of the glory days of the Dean Smith era.

Very inspired nomination, I heartily second. Bo knows whining. Not nearly as sanctimonious though.

But of course, who is?

Reilly
06-25-2015, 01:48 PM
This may spawn a cottage industry of awards in honor of ACC coaches ... "The Gary Williams Award for Paranoia (who nominated me?)" ... "The Bob Wade Befuddled Man of the Year" ... "The Roy Williams Cornpone-a-copia Lifetime Achievement in Faux-Redneckness (those with designer eyewear encouraged to apply)" ... "The Herb Sendek Man of the Year, Given to a Man, Which is the Opposite of a Woman, and Sometimes Men are Bald, and Bland, but Not Always, and They Can Make the Tourney, although Sometimes it's the NIT ..." ... "The Leonard Hamilton Angry Stare-down of the Year" ...

royalblue
06-25-2015, 03:15 PM
I always wondered when I heard that Dean was the greatest winner of all time that it was really greatest whiner of all time:)

weezie
06-25-2015, 03:30 PM
This may spawn a cottage industry of awards in honor of ACC coaches ... "The Gary Williams Award for Paranoia"...

"And/or Best Perspiration-er?"

superdave
06-25-2015, 03:32 PM
If Dean gets such an award after under-achieving for 36 years and having an oversized reputation as a great guy, they pretty much have to name the National Championship trophy after Coach K for over-achieving for 45 years and always living up to expectations.

roywhite
06-25-2015, 03:36 PM
This may spawn a cottage industry of awards in honor of ACC coaches ... "The Gary Williams Award for Paranoia (who nominated me?)" ... "The Bob Wade Befuddled Man of the Year" ... "The Roy Williams Cornpone-a-copia Lifetime Achievement in Faux-Redneckness (those with designer eyewear encouraged to apply)" ... "The Herb Sendek Man of the Year, Given to a Man, Which is the Opposite of a Woman, and Sometimes Men are Bald, and Bland, but Not Always, and They Can Make the Tourney, although Sometimes it's the NIT ..." ... "The Leonard Hamilton Angry Stare-down of the Year" ...

"And/or Best Perspiration-er?"

Great concept; in the modern era, we'll need a corporate sponsor for each award. Degree Men or Old Spice for Gary, etc.

devildeac
06-25-2015, 04:23 PM
Great concept; in the modern era, we'll need a corporate sponsor for each award. Degree Men or Old Spice for Gary, etc.

AXE (to grind) deodorant might work here, too. But, then again, we are talking about (profusely) sweaty Gary:p.

brevity
06-25-2015, 04:33 PM

Great idea. A little jealous that I didn't think of it myself. Some thoughts:

1. Whatever the sponsor, the Gary Williams award needs to take the form of a golden chicken wing (http://www.statefansnation.com/2011/04/gregg-doyel-calls-gary-williams-a-little-bity-tiny-coward-runt-of-a-man-and-worse/) trophy.

2. We need to add a Bobby Cremins Award for Great Decision Making. Each year it is awarded to one person, then taken away three days later and awarded to another person. The trophy is a golden flip-flop (http://cjonline.com/sports/basketball/2011-03-22/wichita-states-marshall-charlestons-cremins-share-dubious-legacy).

Tripping William
06-25-2015, 04:48 PM
2. We need to add a Bobby Cremins Award for Great Decision Making. Each year it is awarded to one person, then taken away three days later and awarded to another person. The trophy is a golden flip-flop (http://cjonline.com/sports/basketball/2011-03-22/wichita-states-marshall-charlestons-cremins-share-dubious-legacy).

Billy Donovan, head coach of the Orlando Magic (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2895999), awaits his award.

BD80
06-25-2015, 05:33 PM
As Red Buttons would say: Jerry Tarkanian ... never got an award

MarkD83
06-25-2015, 08:01 PM
I am clearly spending too much time at pack pride. But they suggest Dan Kane be the first winner of the dean smith award

Duke95
06-25-2015, 09:08 PM
If not Kane, then surely Willingham.

Indoor66
06-25-2015, 10:44 PM
No, it goes to Crowder who so graciously exemplifies all he stood for.

OldPhiKap
06-26-2015, 07:18 AM
Jan Boxill, professor of ethics? That has the right touch of ironic hypocrisy.

dukelifer
06-26-2015, 09:11 PM
As Red Buttons would say: Jerry Tarkanian ... never got an award

Now a Red Buttons reference is a clear generation separator.

OldPhiKap
06-27-2015, 12:43 AM

Now I'm afraid to bust out my best W.C. Fields material.

TKG
06-27-2015, 07:55 AM
Now I'm afraid to bust out my best W.C. Fields material.

Or Jackie Mason.....

BD80
06-27-2015, 10:03 AM

Those "roasts" were truly educational, as well as high entertainment. They taught me how to insult others; thoroughly and vigorously.