PDA

View Full Version : In My Dreams [SPOILERS]

Jim3k
06-23-2015, 02:27 AM
SPOILER ALERT!

In My Dreams is a small movie with fairly big philosophical goals. It deals with aging, recognition of one’s own mortality, and the confrontation with death itself. One could look at this movie as an exercise in existentialism.

Certainly the actors do a fine job in roles with limited demand. Blythe Danner as Carol is credible playing an older widow who first faces death upon the demise of her beloved dog, her companion of 12 years. She faces the loneliness which follows, making decisions which might be understandable, even if not well considered. (The Pool Boy?!! Good Lord!)

And, of course, she finds herself falling in love with Bill (Sam Elliott), apparently an exciting but elderly widower who has recently moved to town. (A transparent attempt to clone The Most Interesting Man in the World.) His death smacks her once again and her hope for a close relationship is dashed.

This all might amount to a decent movie premise (done before), but in totality is only a movie about uninteresting people leading shallow lives. Some golf, some bridge, some drinking. Real for sure, but so mundane it hurt my drowsy eyes. It ends on a supposedly hopeful note when her group of friends (as dull as she) decide to take a trip to Iceland and she gets a new dog. As Snoopy would say: “Bleah!” Existentialism it ain’t.

[DISCLOSURE] As we left the theater, I heard a number of people remarking on how wonderful the movie was and how much they enjoyed it.