PDA

View Full Version : What do you say to a UNC fan??

Im4howdy
06-17-2015, 06:30 PM
I realize the title sounds like the beginning of a joke (and feel free, those of you with creative wit), but I thought it might be fun to hear what others do say.

Let me first of all state (in all seriousness) that as someone born and raised in North Carolina (now living in Colorado) who had the good sense (and even better grades) to go to Duke, I am saddened by what has transpired at the public flagship university of NC and sincerely hope against hope that those culpable (past and present) are exposed. Having said that...

May favorite comment to make to a Walmart Tar Heel wearing UNC clothing is to ask, "Do you go to UNC?" which is usually met with "no, but I'm a fan." I get a very serious look on my face and reply, "Yeah, I wouldn't admit to going there either..." and walk away.

Prior to all this mess, I'd say, "Wow, I can't believe Goodwill accepts those shirts as donations."

Any other quips?

Duvall
06-17-2015, 06:34 PM
Isn't the standard punchline "How much do I owe you for the pizza?"

JetpackJesus
06-17-2015, 08:53 PM

wilko
06-17-2015, 10:30 PM
I am on vacay and just a few days ago I was wearing my Duke shirt at the Royal Gorge Bridge in Colorado. Some cat I didnt know started making disparaging remarks about my Duke shirt..... I took it in stride and asked him who HE supported... he deflected....

Then his wife came up and was like "Oh you are from NC too!?!?" and she filled in the blank that he was a UNC fan.... and then I said "Oh you had so much anger I had you pegged for a State fan... but hey, dont feel bad - things have to turn around for UNC sometime this mess cant last forever can it?"

This was on the day SACS had put UNC on probation....

msdukie
06-17-2015, 10:52 PM
Why would you talk to a UNC fan?

Edouble
06-17-2015, 11:26 PM
I usually engage them politely.

9 times out of 10, I can get them to say nice things about Coach K and the Duke program.

Most UNC fans are actually shamed, closet Duke fans, so it's pretty easy, you just have to have patience.

cf-62
06-18-2015, 12:17 AM
I realize the title sounds like the beginning of a joke (and feel free, those of you with creative wit), but I thought it might be fun to hear what others do say.

Let me first of all state (in all seriousness) that as someone born and raised in North Carolina (now living in Colorado) who had the good sense (and even better grades) to go to Duke, I am saddened by what has transpired at the public flagship university of NC and sincerely hope against hope that those culpable (past and present) are exposed. Having said that...

May favorite comment to make to a Walmart Tar Heel wearing UNC clothing is to ask, "Do you go to UNC?" which is usually met with "no, but I'm a fan." I get a very serious look on my face and reply, "Yeah, I wouldn't admit to going there either..." and walk away.

Prior to all this mess, I'd say, "Wow, I can't believe Goodwill accepts those shirts as donations."

Any other quips?

Wear your Duke gear and say nothing.
Drives....
them.....
nuts.

They know they have to keep their mouth shut, lest you become a wuffie and acuse them of not deserving a single banner hanging in the Dean Dome.
And, on top of that, they know that we're killing it.

Even their pre-season #1 ranking for next year isn't placating them. They're just miserable.

CameronBlue
06-18-2015, 12:56 AM
I am on vacay and just a few days ago I was wearing my Duke shirt at the Royal Gorge Bridge in Colorado. Some cat I didnt know started making disparaging remarks about my Duke shirt..... I took it in stride and asked him who HE supported... he deflected....

Then his wife came up and was like "Oh you are from NC too!?!?" and she filled in the blank that he was a UNC fan.... and then I said "Oh you had so much anger I had you pegged for a State fan... but hey, dont feel bad - things have to turn around for UNC sometime this mess cant last forever can it?"

This was on the day SACS had put UNC on probation....

"So you've come here to end it all?" Might've worked.

weezie
06-18-2015, 07:38 AM
Drives....
them.....
nuts....
They're just miserable.

Silent sneering works for me.

dukelifer
06-18-2015, 07:52 AM
I usually engage them politely.

9 times out of 10, I can get them to say nice things about Coach K and the Duke program.

Most UNC fans are actually shamed, closet Duke fans, so it's pretty easy, you just have to have patience.

Not sure about K but many, many UNC fans like Cutcliffe. He is widely respected.

Dr. Rosenrosen
06-18-2015, 09:56 AM
Silent sneering works for me.
Agree! Silence is often the best way to engage the enemy.

Growing up a Miami fan in the state of Florida, it was amazing to see the effectiveness of this strategy after Miami beat FSU or Florida. Or even after FSU and UF battled each other. My father would go about his business all day saying absolutely nothing after a crushing defeat for one of the enemy. It would get to be so infuriating for the FSU and UF fanatics that they would eventually literally yell at my father for not saying anything. Like absolute clockwork. And even then, all he would do is shrug his shoulders and let them stew in their own defeat.

Jeffrey
06-18-2015, 10:21 AM
"Thanks for the greatest sports rivalry of all-time!"

MarkD83
06-18-2015, 11:59 AM
"Thanks for ruining the greatest sports rivalry of all-time!"

You missed a word.

aimo
06-18-2015, 12:09 PM
Drives....
them.....
nuts.

They know they have to keep their mouth shut, lest you become a wuffie and acuse them of not deserving a single banner hanging in the Dean Dome.
And, on top of that, they know that we're killing it.

Even their pre-season #1 ranking for next year isn't placating them. They're just miserable.

That's just it, THEY CAN'T KEEP THEIR MOUTHS SHUT! They just can't do it. Total strangers feel the need to talk smack to you b/c you're wearing a Duke shirt, which just forces you to shut them up with a few choice words. And now, with all the crap going on there, it's just too easy. I almost feel sorry for them . . . but not really. As someone who has lived in Durham all my life surrounded by holes, I am thoroughly enjoying it.

CameronBornAndBred
06-18-2015, 12:16 PM

fify

Newton_14
06-18-2015, 12:19 PM
I can tell you what my 10 yr old daughter says to them every single time: "Well you know what "UNC" stands for right? University of National Cheaters

Jeffrey
06-18-2015, 12:56 PM
I can tell you what my 10 yr old daughter says to them every single time: "Well you know what "UNC" stands for right? University of National Cheaters

Did she originally read that on John Calipari's resume?

wsb3
06-18-2015, 01:38 PM
Rumor has it that some of the more astute IC fans are so upset over this one sided treatment by Dan Kane that they believe a lawsuit against Dan & the N&O is in order.. So what I say to UNC fans is...

That would be a splendid idea. Yes, by all means let Huck, Bubba, & the gang swear on a Bible in court to tell the truth. After all what do you have to lose? UNC is completely innocent.. File the lawsuit today...Please..

Webster should insert a picture of UNC fans next to the word delusional..

CDu
06-18-2015, 01:58 PM
I am always hesitant/resistant to comment on "Wal-Mart" UNC fans considering that Duke is a very small, private institution for whom the majority of its fans did not attend the school. I have a lot of admiration for those incredibly loyal souls who did not fall prey to the state-wide love affair with UNC. So I steer clear of comment there.

But, yeah, right now is a pretty good time to be a Duke fan living in North Carolina. That's for sure. We've matched them in NCAA championships. Our current Hall of Fame coach has more titles than the Heels' last two top coaches combined. And we don't have an academic scandal looming over our heads. Happy times for sure. Not much needs to be said to UNC fans - they are suffering right now and most know better than to talk trash at the moment. And if they are foolish enough to talk trash, they aren't worth talking to anyway.

Kfanarmy
06-18-2015, 02:06 PM
Isn't it great that your Athletic Director, coaches, and the Director of Academic Services apparently never use email; things could be a lot worse!

elvis14
06-18-2015, 02:16 PM

I live in North Carolina and don't agree. Most UNC fans are not shamed. Most of them are in the "everyone does it so they need stop picking on us" bucket. There are some that were shamed but even those people have gotten over the shame and are in that everyone does it bucket.

As for what to say to UNC fans....it's kind of like makeup for my 13 year old daughter.....less is more. Of course it doesn't take much these days to mic drop and walk away.

Reisen
06-18-2015, 02:20 PM
I usually talk about how great their stadium is, what a nice crowd they have, and how much I enjoy going to Duke games there in their frequent down years for 1/10th of what a ticket in Cameron would cost.

Bostondevil
06-18-2015, 02:21 PM
In early January of 2010, I met a UNC graduate who told me, "No offense, but I view Duke as the root of all things evil." I was kinda offended, but I laughed it off. Later that day I recounted the story to my husband and said, "Instead of being offended, let's put that belief to a test, I hereby curse the 2010 UNC Men's Basketball Team." True story.

Anybody remember what happened to the 2010 UNC Men's Basketball Team?

Whenever a UNC fan gives me too much grief, I tell them this story. Then I remind them that I could always do it again. I haven't, btw. Lately, they don't need me. Wait - when did the academic scandal stuff first come to light? Maybe I'm responsible for that too!

Don't make me curse you. Saying "no offense" is not a free pass to be a wanker.

camion
06-18-2015, 03:23 PM
I say, "Brother, it's probably best to wear your dark blue sweat shirt."

My younger brother went to UNC undergrad and Duke grad school. He has shirts for both.

howardlander
06-18-2015, 04:27 PM

My younger brother went to UNC undergrad and Duke grad school. He has shirts for both.

I did the reverse and I've been working at UNC for 10 years. Not a single piece of light blue anywhere in my house.

Howard

sagegrouse
06-18-2015, 04:34 PM
I usually talk about how great their stadium is, what a nice crowd they have, and how much I enjoy going to Duke games there in their frequent down years for 1/10th of what a ticket in Cameron would cost.

I am a bit of a pacifist on thes matters. Usually I say, "We had a good year; your turn is next year." Then I smile and let the "if you can do it go unsaid." Then I live in Colorado, and the occasional Tar Heel is usually a pretty nice person. Of course, I love dealing from strength.

Edouble
06-18-2015, 05:05 PM
I live in North Carolina and don't agree. Most UNC fans are not shamed. Most of them are in the "everyone does it so they need stop picking on us" bucket. There are some that were shamed but even those people have gotten over the shame and are in that everyone does it bucket.

As for what to say to UNC fans....it's kind of like makeup for my 13 year old daughter.....less is more. Of course it doesn't take much these days to mic drop and walk away.

Oh, I didn't mean shamed over the academic scandal. I meant shamed about just generally being UNC fans. Deep down they know what a great coach, leader, motivation, American, etc. that Coach K is. They know that we win the right way, that we play hard and leave it all on the court. For the last 20 years or so, pretty much every UNC fan that I have spoken to (and this is not in NC), I have gotten to open up about how they like Coach K and like certain Duke players... something along the lines of:

"Well, I hate Duke, but you have to respect Coach K, he's just the best. I love _____ (insert current Duke player, Duhon, Henderson, Irving, Parker, Winslow are all popular answers here), that guy plays his butt off. But ya know, I just don't like Duke 'cause I'm a Tarheel fan".

-jk
06-18-2015, 05:24 PM
Oh, I didn't mean shamed over the academic scandal. I meant shamed about just generally being UNC fans. Deep down they know what a great coach, leader, motivation, American, etc. that Coach K is. They know that we win the right way, that we play hard and leave it all on the court. For the last 20 years or so, pretty much every UNC fan that I have spoken to (and this is not in NC), I have gotten to open up about how they like Coach K and like certain Duke players... something along the lines of:

"Well, I hate Duke, but you have to respect Coach K, he's just the best. I love _____ (insert current Duke player, Duhon, Henderson, Irving, Parker, Winslow are all popular answers here), that guy plays his butt off. But ya know, I just don't like Duke 'cause I'm a Tarheel fan".

OK... It just doesn't really work that way in NC. A hundred miles away, things are different...

-jk

hudlow
06-18-2015, 05:28 PM
I say "National Champions."

hud

swood1000
06-18-2015, 05:32 PM
Caution might be wise. As UNC’s inexorable march down into the abyss unfolds, some of these woebegone fellows could be pushed past their snapping point. Look for more light blue being worn on perp walks.

fuse
06-18-2015, 07:27 PM
If you can't take the high road, you could always try some humour that might go over their head.

Something along the lines of "Bold choice. I'd never go that far for a Klondike bar."

Apologies in advance for those who have heretofore escaped the "what would you do for a klondike bar" jingle.

-bdbd
06-18-2015, 10:51 PM
I'm a little more mischievous.

Feigning serious concern, I just keep asking LOTS of questions about the scandal, and about what do they think is going to happen, and whether THEY ever took any AFAM "fake" classes, and whose fault do they think it was, how could this have gone on so long, and did the basketball coaches know, will the NCAA be really mad about the stalling they did, and how many scholarships are they going to lose, and do they think any banners or wins are going to be taken away, and..... well, you get the idea...

;)

Dukehky
06-18-2015, 10:55 PM
I'm a little more mischievous.

Feigning serious concern, I just keep asking LOTS of questions about the scandal, and about what do they think is going to happen, and whether THEY ever took any AFAM "fake" classes, and how could this have gone on so long, and did the basketball coaches know, how many scholarships are they going to lose, and do they think any banners or wins are going to be taken away, and..... well, you get the idea...

;)

I too am rather discourteous to UNC strangers who choose to badger me, even though we Dukies handle badgers quite well. My UNC friends, I feign concern as to their plight as fans. The way I interact with UNC rando's is probably going to get me jumped at some point, but, screw it, worth it.

moonpie23
06-19-2015, 08:02 AM
depending on the friendship....mrs pie and i are having dinner with two of our best unc friends tonight and i prolly won't even bring it up unless they do, then i'll prolly just leave it with "yeah, y'all got a real mess on your hands"....

thats because we love these folks......

2 strangers in a bar? pishaw..........i'll go scorched earth on them....

Duke95
06-19-2015, 09:56 AM

Always a good idea to keep a UNC shirt around. Never know when you may run out of toilet paper.

elvis14
06-19-2015, 10:24 AM

Thanks for the clarification, Edouble. I took it wrong and really like that you can get the UNC fans to come clean.

OK... It just doesn't really work that way in NC. A hundred miles away, things are different...

-jk

At the same time, jk has it right. Here in NC you don't get many of their fans to say anything nice about anything Duke.

I think I've handed out more sporks in this thread than any thread since we beat Wisconsin and I started sporking everyone!

Clay Feet POF
06-19-2015, 11:28 AM
Just suggest "Look, when you finally reach bottom then you can start your way up"

arnie
06-19-2015, 12:35 PM
Rumor has it that some of the more astute IC fans are so upset over this one sided treatment by Dan Kane that they believe a lawsuit against Dan & the N&O is in order.. So what I say to UNC fans

Webster should insert a picture of UNC fans next to the word delusional..

They also need to sue Wainstein and his motley crew. After all, the entire report was fabricated, except for alleging that Roy knew nothing.

aimo
06-19-2015, 01:24 PM
Always a good idea to keep a UNC shirt around. Never know when you may run out of toilet paper.

Nah, it'll just give you a rash!

swood1000
06-19-2015, 02:25 PM
depending on the friendship....mrs pie and i are having dinner with two of our best unc friends tonight and i prolly won't even bring it up unless they do, then i'll prolly just leave it with "yeah, y'all got a real mess on your hands"....

thats because we love these folks......

2 strangers in a bar? pishaw..........i'll go scorched earth on them....
Right. It basically depends on how obnoxious the person is, how knowledgeable, and how insistent that it is a tempest in a teapot, exaggerated by UNC’s enemies. But asking them if they accept the findings of the Wainstein Report, like UNC did, is always a good beginning. For some people, the only approach is sarcasm –

how unfortunate it is that everybody is out to get them,
how unlucky it is that everybody does it and only they get caught,
how amazing it is that while all the student academic advisers knew what was going on and the football coaches knew what was going on, the basketball coaches were left totally in the dark even though 226 basketball players enrolled in paper classes between 1999 and 2009,
how incredible it is that Basketball counselor Wayne Walden acknowledged knowing how the classes worked, including that Crowder did at least some of the grading, but that this was not passed on to Roy Williams.
how astounding it is that while student-athletes made up 4% of the student body they made up 48% of the paper class enrollments (if the argument is made that a greater percentage of SAs were minority, then how remarkable it is that according to Wainstein, SAs were far more represented in paper class than they were in other courses offered by AFAM)
how curious it is that Dean Owen told Nyang’oro in 2006 that he had to “get [Crowder] under control” because AFAM was enrolling far too many students in independent study classes, and knew that Crowder was signing grade-change forms, and discussed with Senior Associate Athletics Director John Blanchard the propriety of AFAM lecture courses that were reportedly being conducted as independent studies, yet for some reason nobody investigated the situation,
what outstanding good luck it was that the NCAA, in their initial NOA, did not assert that by definition classes that involved no interaction with or oversight from a faculty member (contrary to UNC policy) could not be used to establish academic eligibility of student-athletes (although there were some general allegations in the NOA that could yet turn into more specific allegations involving individual ineligibility) and asking whether they found the suspense unnerving,
etc.

MChambers
06-19-2015, 04:21 PM
We were in Teton National Park, waiting for a boat. My son, who was probably 9 or 10, was wearing the Basic Math t-shirt seen here:

http://www.shopdukestores.duke.edu/ePOS/store=106&item_number=10700&form=shared3/gm/detail.html&design=106

A young woman saw him from his left side, and only saw the UNC part of the shirt. She said, in a sweet North Carolina, "look, this boy is wearing a UNC shirt." I smiled and asked my son to turn so she could see the whole shirt. He did, and her jaw dropped. She said, "I don't think I like that shirt." One of her companions said, "Well, I went to Wake Forest, and I think that's a great shirt!"