PDA

View Full Version : WBB: UNC loses another player to transfer

Gargoyle
06-16-2015, 05:01 PM
According to Brandon Clay, Allisha Gray is transferring from UNC.
https://twitter.com/BrandonClayPSB/status/610858151412371457

I thought Gray was UNC's best player. Now 3 of the FAB 4 have transferred.

OldPhiKap
06-16-2015, 07:59 PM
Maybe Sylvia is being more honest with her players than Roy, about the Hell that is coming to breakfast.

arnie
06-16-2015, 08:14 PM
Maybe Sylvia is being more honest with her players than Roy, about the Hell that is coming to breakfast.

Don't know if she's being more honest; more likely she knows her program is being sacrificed to save Roy's. Bet that's creating a mental whirlwind when she tries to sleep.

BD80
06-16-2015, 08:36 PM
Don't know if she's being more honest; more likely she knows her program is being sacrificed to save Roy's. Bet that's creating a mental whirlwind when she tries to sleep.

That just gave me a mental image of a whirlwind hitting Sylvia's closet.

Now I shan't sleep

OldPhiKap
06-16-2015, 08:39 PM
That just gave me a mental image of a whirlwind hitting Sylvia's closet.

Now I shan't sleep

I suggest Dramamine, and a good stiff scotch.

Indoor66
06-16-2015, 09:29 PM
I suggest Dramamine, and a good stiff scotch.

We're talking about the south here. It is Bourbon.

OldPhiKap
06-16-2015, 09:52 PM
We're talking about the south here. It is Bourbon.

Okay, single barrel bourbon if you prefer. Personal preferences aside.

captmojo
06-17-2015, 11:37 AM
For nausea? Nah! Ginger ale or cola might be better. And, a few saltine crackers might be better than booze.
Besides, the holes are gonna need all they can get their hands on. Be thoughtful, now.

CameronBornAndBred
06-17-2015, 12:56 PM
She doesn't have to be more honest, the women's team is explicitly singled out in the LOIC findings.

75Crazie
06-17-2015, 03:09 PM
She doesn't have to be more honest, the women's team is explicitly singled out in the LOIC findings.
You are referring to the published NOA that was thoroughly redacted by UNC? I don't think anybody outside the NCAA and UNC offices has any idea just how many times the men's team was mentioned in the original NOA.

CameronBornAndBred
06-17-2015, 03:17 PM
You are referring to the published NOA that was thoroughly redacted by UNC? I don't think anybody outside the NCAA and UNC offices has any idea just how many times the men's team was mentioned in the original NOA.
They could have been mentioned tons. But I'm not talking about the men's team. I'm talking about the women's team, the one that is going to be hammered and will lose every decent player because they know they won't have a post season for their foreseeable playing careers.

Gargoyle
06-18-2015, 12:46 PM
Story from the Daily Tarheel

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2015/06/allisha-gray-considers-transfer

It may be hat Gray will decide not to transfer

Duvall
06-19-2015, 01:37 PM
Allisha Gray to transfer to the Carolina that will have a women's basketball program for the foreseeable future. (http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2015/06/allisha-gray-to-transfer-to-south-carolina)

Allisha Gray, the leading scorer for the North Carolina women's basketball team in 2014-15, is transferring to the University of South Carolina.

UNC granted Gray a release to have permission to speak to other schools about the possibility of transferring on Tuesday.

Charlie Tuggle, a professor in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, told The Daily Tar Heel Gray's desire to transfer was motivated by the athletic-academic scandal that has followed UNC for several years.

Duvall
06-19-2015, 04:14 PM
Stephanie Mavunga granted permission to explore transfer, which I'm sure she was already doing. (http://www.goheels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=3350&ATCLID=210159457)

The University of North Carolina has granted women’s basketball player Stephanie Mavunga’s release to speak with other schools about the possibility of transferring.

“It’s with a heavy heart that I have asked for, and been granted permission to talk to other teams and explore transfer opportunities,” said Mavunga. “I wish to thank Coach Hatchell, the whole coaching staff and my teammates and fans for their support over the two years I’ve spent in Chapel Hill. I have nothing but great things to say about the program and I am very grateful for the mentorship and development that I received along the way at UNC. They have helped me tremendously!

“From the big things to the little things, they’ve been a part of my greatest support system. I was molded into a player who earned first team All-ACC honors, and was even blessed with the opportunity to represent my country in Canada during the Pan American games this summer. I wish everyone in the program the best of success. I have decided to look at transfer opportunities for personal reasons. As we all know, once a Tar Heel, always a Tar Heel.”

But...oh, never mind.

BD80
06-19-2015, 04:20 PM
Sounds like the ladies hear the bus comin' and they know ol' roy is driving. "It's for the greater good!"

CameronBornAndBred
06-19-2015, 06:21 PM
If you are keeping score at home, these three departures coupled with Diamond DeShields' transfer last spring means UNC's vaunted recruiting class of 2013 has walked out the door after just two years. These losses plus the graduation of Brittany Rountree puts UNC in dire straits headed into next season. The trio of transfers and Rountree accounted for four of UNC"s top five scorers in 2014-15. The fifth was Xylina McDaniel who played just 12 games before injuring her leg.
http://www.tarheelblog.com/2015/6/19/8815733/now-stephanie-mavunga-is-considering-a-transfer

Dr. Rosenrosen
06-19-2015, 06:52 PM
It does make you wonder if the race to the exits on the women's side and the seeming lack of urgency on the men's side signals anything in particular. Like they've gotten more than a helpful hint that women's hoops is in trouble but men's is not.

jimsumner
06-19-2015, 06:55 PM
It does make you wonder if the race to the exits on the women's side and the seeming lack of urgency on the men's side signals anything in particular. Like they've gotten more than a helpful hint that women's hoops is in trouble but men's is not.

Possibly. Or the narrative could be that the hammer won't fall until the 2016-17 season and most of the key guys on next year's team have already made plans to be somewhere else by then.

wsb3
06-19-2015, 07:33 PM
Sylvia Hatchell does not strike me as the type to be the fall guy while others skate.

I keep hoping for an internal blow up at UNC where they start turning on each other & as a by product begin to tell the truth..

I can dream can't I???

Indoor66
06-19-2015, 08:36 PM
Sylvia Hatchell does not strike me as the type to be the fall guy while others skate.

I keep hoping for an internal blow up at UNC where they start turning on each other & as a by product begin to tell the truth..

I can dream can't I???

You must be dreaming. You are forgetting "the carolina way."

devildeac
06-19-2015, 11:07 PM

I can dream can't I???

You must be dreaming. You are forgetting "the carolina way."

arnie
06-20-2015, 07:23 AM

Appears that is what will happen. Bubba says "Roy is man of character and integrity and the way he cares for his students truly unmatched". Andrew Carter in N&O confident that no post season ban in men's bball and unlikely that victories will be vacated. These two guys are obviously very close to the program and seem certain that men's bball skates. Don't think they'd be so stupid to be that out front with these calls unless they have inside info,

On the other hand, women's bball is toast and I still think soccer gets clobbered (but who really cares).

CameronBornAndBred
06-20-2015, 08:39 AM
Ken Medlin wonders the same thing, and assumes it is exactly what they are thinking.

Over the span of four days, two key players have decided to transfer from the women's basketball program. Meanwhile, men's basketball coach Roy Williams has agreed to a contract extension which will keep him in Chapel Hill through the 2019-2020 season.

On the surface, these events may seem unrelated. But coming less than a month after UNC received the NCAA's notice of allegations regarding academic irregularities (and slightly more than two weeks after the university released the document to the public), it's not exactly a quantum leap to determine these things are all related.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/transfers-contract-extension-shed-light-on-ncaa-expectations/14727184/

MarkD83
06-20-2015, 09:28 AM
Ken Medlin wonders the same thing, and assumes it is exactly what they are thinking.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/transfers-contract-extension-shed-light-on-ncaa-expectations/14727184/

The key thing is that this is what UNC is thinking, not what will happen. In one post on Pack Pride there was a whole series of quotes from UNC administrators (both athletic and academic) that shows the difference between wishful thinking and reality.

I forget the exact quotes but they were along the lines of:

"This will all be over by Friday (dated somewhere around 2011)";
"There will be no sanctions against the football team (right before they were given sanctions)."
"The NCAA won't be back. (after the football sanctions)."
"SACS won't sanction us anymore because we have implemented changes. (after SACS issued their first report and before the W report.)" etc.

The latest example of this is UNC insisting that the NOA did not mention men's basketball. However, Dan Kane just wrote an article describing how the "redacted" NOA does not mention men's basketball but it is obvious that the redacted parts DO mention men's basketball.

UNC is believing their own PR hype which could come back to haunt them.

Duke95
06-20-2015, 10:01 AM
The cynic in me believes that UNC redacted most of the the mentions of men's basketball in the NOA to prevent exactly what's happening to the WBB team from happening to MBB. If MBB players suddenly started jumping ship, UNC could no longer sell the PR garbage they continue to peddle to their mindless fan base on IC. And, forget about giving Roy an extension if players are headed to the exits.

BD80
06-20-2015, 10:22 AM
This smacks of posturing to me, reinforced with carolina arrogance.

unc will quite obviously throw the women's bball team under the bus. And let ol' roy drive over them more than a few times.

unc will propose severe sanctions on the women's team (and soccer and every other non-revenue sport) with maybe a scholly or two restriction on football and maybe some recruiting restrictions on football and men's bball (for not adequately distancing themselves from those tawdry cheaters in the other sports). The essence will be that there may have been a few revenue athletes that were in phony classes, but they actually did some work and the NCAA can't prove otherwise. By significantly punishing the other programs, unc will argue, the NCAA will have addressed the source of the lack of institutional control. It could get ugly with unc pushing the blame to specific programs - it appears to have started with the women's team.

By extending ol' roy, unc is going "all in," in essence saying "ol' roy MUST be clean, we wouldn't extend him otherwise."

arnie
06-20-2015, 10:34 AM
This smacks of posturing to me, reinforced with carolina arrogance.

unc will quite obviously throw the women's bball team under the bus. And let ol' roy drive over them more than a few times.

unc will propose severe sanctions on the women's team (and soccer and every other non-revenue sport) with maybe a scholly or two restriction on football and maybe some recruiting restrictions on football and men's bball (for not adequately distancing themselves from those tawdry cheaters in the other sports). The essence will be that there may have been a few revenue athletes that were in phony classes, but they actually did some work and the NCAA can't prove otherwise. By significantly punishing the other programs, unc will argue, the NCAA will have addressed the source of the lack of institutional control. It could get ugly with unc pushing the blame to specific programs - it appears to have started with the women's team.

By extending ol' roy, unc is going "all in," in essence saying "ol' roy MUST be clean, we wouldn't extend him otherwise."
That sums it up well. Even though Roy was well aware of the sham classes, UNC hides this and by allowing NCAA to destroy other programs, they protect their holy program. With Swofford watching over the process, NCAA plays both sides. Hopefully other ACC schools protest these tactics.

Dr. Rosenrosen
06-20-2015, 10:44 AM
So in light of the clear cheating and shenanigans being acknowledged in WBB, how in the world can they continue to refute McCants' allegations? They are no different. It's all part and parcel. Are we really to believe that this was all for the benefit of WBB, Soccer, etc? That's the part that I cannot imagine the NCAA looking past and then not being hammered for looking the other way.

devildeac
06-20-2015, 12:26 PM
The key thing is that this is what UNC is thinking, not what will happen. In one post on Pack Pride there was a whole series of quotes from UNC administrators (both athletic and academic) that shows the difference between wishful thinking and reality.

I forget the exact quotes but they were along the lines of:

"This will all be over by Friday (dated somewhere around 2011)";
"There will be no sanctions against the football team (right before they were given sanctions)."
"The NCAA won't be back. (after the football sanctions)."
"SACS won't sanction us anymore because we have implemented changes. (after SACS issued their first report and before the W report.)" etc.

The latest example of this is UNC insisting that the NOA did not mention men's basketball. However, Dan Kane just wrote an article describing how the "redacted" NOA does not mention men's basketball but it is obvious that the redacted parts DO mention men's basketball.

UNC is believing their own PR hype which could come back to haunt them.

Do you have a link to that Dan Kane article? Another poster here, JStuart, also asked me about it and I had no comment because I hadn't read it:o. It'd still be very difficult to believe the NCAA spent another 6-9 months at the home of the repeat offenders in chappaheeya and issued a 59 page NOA, including the dreaded phrase of LOIC, with ~730 pages of supporting evidence, solely to hammer the 2 above-mentioned women's programs. But, then again, it is the NCAA:rolleyes:.

buddy
06-20-2015, 02:43 PM
It is astonishing to me that PC addled unc is so into the patriarchy that no one complains that the women are being sacrificed for the men. So Patriarchal. So 20th century. I wonder if this case will be a case study in oppression in the womyn's studies program?

Duvall
06-20-2015, 02:51 PM
It is astonishing to me that PC addled unc is so into the patriarchy that no one complains that the women are being sacrificed for the men. So Patriarchal. So 20th century. I wonder if this case will be a case study in oppression in the womyn's studies program?

Maybe that tells you something about who's really in control even at institutions you believe to be "PC addled."

Des Esseintes
06-20-2015, 03:23 PM
Maybe that tells you something about who's really in control even at institutions you believe to be "PC addled."

And sacrifice an opportunity for an out-of-nowhere gratuitous slur against women's studies? Never! The culture war must be waged on every front. If, by some odd chance, the present discussion offers no such obvious front, MAKE ONE.

BD80
06-20-2015, 03:41 PM
And sacrifice an opportunity for an out-of-nowhere gratuitous slur against women's studies? ...

Studies?

We're talking about unc, aren't we?

What do "studies" have to do with unc?