PDA

View Full Version : What could go wrong? (Maryland)

roywhite
06-11-2015, 10:34 AM
Maryland aims to sell beer and wine at football and basketball games

(http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/maryland-aims-to-sell-beer-and-wine-at-football-and-basketball-games/2015/06/10/ef32f6c6-0fb1-11e5-a0dc-2b6f404ff5cf_story.html)

In a letter distributed to the campus community Thursday morning, Maryland President Wallace D. Loh detailed the incentives for the move, writing that it “will enhance the fan experience.”

Reilly
06-11-2015, 10:41 AM
In other news, stock prices of Route 1 property insurers are down sharply in today's trading.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-11-2015, 11:42 AM

(http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/maryland-aims-to-sell-beer-and-wine-at-football-and-basketball-games/2015/06/10/ef32f6c6-0fb1-11e5-a0dc-2b6f404ff5cf_story.html)

/goes to get his popcorn ready....

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-11-2015, 12:07 PM

This is one drama I'm happy to observe from a distance. In a context where crowd control has been an issue for some time, selling alcohol at major sporting events seems counter intuitive. Revenue shortfalls must be a pretty serious problem.

roywhite
06-11-2015, 12:19 PM
/goes to get his popcorn ready....

Yeah, they made need some help with an advertising campaign to achieve sales goals:

"Terp fans, when you're feeling parched from screaming curses at our opponents, stop by our refreshment stand for 5 or 6 cups of cold lager"

"Thirsty for a National Bo?...Great news, now available at our stadium"

-bdbd
06-11-2015, 12:41 PM
I wonder what is going on. I mean, it certainly isn't like the MD administrators to make moves that are just for financial gain and not in the best interests of the fans and students....:confused:

The Big10 says hello!!

MChambers
06-11-2015, 12:53 PM
I went to a Maryland football game last fall, and was shocked at the amount of drinking outside the stadium, often by underage students. Adding alcohol sales in the stadium won't improve things, to say the least.

Kedsy
06-11-2015, 06:48 PM
I went to a Maryland football game last fall, and was shocked at the amount of drinking outside the stadium, often by underage students.

You don't think underage Duke students drink outside the stadium before football games?

Duvall
06-11-2015, 06:59 PM
You don't think underage Duke students drink outside the stadium before football games?

People have been shocked by that too. But Duke hasn't had a perennial belligerent crowd problem; Maryland has.

Kedsy
06-11-2015, 07:01 PM
People have been shocked by that too. But Duke hasn't had a perennial belligerent crowd problem; Maryland has.

I get that, and I agree with the overall tone of this thread. But personally I've been much more shocked by the riots after basketball games than I would be about underage drinking before football games.

BigWayne
06-11-2015, 07:15 PM
I went to a Maryland football game last fall, and was shocked at the amount of drinking outside the stadium, often by underage students. Adding alcohol sales in the stadium won't improve things, to say the least.

There is a subsegment of tailgaters that will actually drink less with these rules as they will not feel as much of a need to binge right before entering the dry zone of the stadium. Of course, there are also some that are going to drink even more under the new scenario.

rocketeli
06-11-2015, 07:18 PM
You could make the argument that selling alcohol at the games will reduce inappropriate drinking behavior. Instead of people smuggling in high proof liquor and/or tanking up on potentially unlimited quantities of liquor outside the stadium, they will now be standing in line to buy watered down beer and drink less because of leaving their seats, lines, etc. Basically in any situation a certain percentage of people will always want to break the law (still drink covertly in this situation,) but a large number of people will obey the law if they perceive it as not too unreasonable.

OldPhiKap
06-11-2015, 07:26 PM
Putting aside that it is Maryland, I am in favor of beer sales at college events.

And yes, it will boost attendance and revenue.

MChambers
06-11-2015, 08:41 PM
Haven't been to a Duke game in many years.

But the degree of drinking at the Maryland game shocked me. Some totally wasted kids and folks drinking 30 feet from the stadium entrances, right in front of the police. To the extent I ever drank before games, I was discreet (or at least thought I was).

OldPhiKap
06-11-2015, 09:04 PM
Drinking is gonna happen.

You can either do it above board and get revenue, or outlaw it and have folks stay at home. Plus as others have said, it discourages binge drinking before games and at halftime outside the stadium.

I hope Duke follows suit.

BigWayne
06-11-2015, 09:49 PM
Drinking is gonna happen.

You can either do it above board and get revenue, or outlaw it and have folks stay at home. Plus as others have said, it discourages binge drinking before games and at halftime outside the stadium.

I hope Duke follows suit.
"White said that there are no current plans for alcohol sales within the new stadium, but that alcohol will be available to patrons in the luxury suites. North Carolina has a similar situation at Kenan Stadium in Chapel Hill."

You can drink without sneaking if you pay enough.

hurleyfor3
06-11-2015, 10:22 PM

For many years, Duke football wasn't tolerable without alcohol.

That and the drinking age is a joke.

Dukehky
06-12-2015, 11:35 PM
Haven't been to a Duke game in many years.

But the degree of drinking at the Maryland game shocked me. Some totally wasted kids and folks drinking 30 feet from the stadium entrances, right in front of the police. To the extent I ever drank before games, I was discreet (or at least thought I was).

A few years ago, Duke had a 14 year old younger sibling pass out from alcohol poisoning in a port o potty at a University sponsored tailgate. Cops were stationed at the entrance to the parking lot at which the tailgate was being held. (That tailgate activity was subsequently cancelled by the university, it was kind of a bummer, that was a rager) I like being on the Duke high horse more than a lot of people, but this isn't the area in which to do so.

Beer sales at college games, whatever. Maryland sucks though, so screw em, I hope it comes back to bite them on the butt.

allenmurray
06-15-2015, 09:35 AM

I didn't realize that Duke students attended the football games.

sagegrouse
06-15-2015, 09:40 AM
A few years ago, Duke had a 14 year old younger sibling pass out from alcohol poisoning in a port o potty at a University sponsored tailgate. Cops were stationed at the entrance to the parking lot at which the tailgate was being held. (That tailgate activity was subsequently cancelled by the university, it was kind of a bummer, that was a rager) I like being on the Duke high horse more than a lot of people, but this isn't the area in which to do so.

Beer sales at college games, whatever. Maryland sucks though, so screw em, I hope it comes back to bite them on the butt.

Well, that was one among many problems with the organized tailgating. The students would drink all morning and not go to the game.

ChillinDuke
06-15-2015, 10:58 AM

You're both right.

- Chillin

Dev11
06-15-2015, 12:29 PM
Can we not discuss the rotted corpse of a beaten horse that was Tailgate and student football attendance? Tailgate is far away in the past (it ended in 2010, I remember that quite clearly) and football attendance appears to be quite good. I cringe at all the people who like to look down their noses at the college students who *shudder* may like getting drunk more than attending football games.

Duvall
06-15-2015, 12:32 PM
Can we not discuss the rotted corpse of a beaten horse that was Tailgate and student football attendance? Tailgate is far away in the past (it ended in 2010, I remember that quite clearly) and football attendance appears to be quite good. I cringe at all the people who like to look down their noses at the college students who *shudder* may like getting drunk more than attending football games.

Listen. Looking down noses at current Duke students is one of the key drivers of DBR forum performance, along with projecting lineups and sneering at UNC. We can't get rid of one without the whole ecosystem collapsing.

BD80
06-15-2015, 01:16 PM
Listen. Looking down noses at current Duke students is one of the key drivers of DBR forum performance, along with projecting lineups and sneering at UNC. We can't get rid of one without the whole ecosystem collapsing.

Sneering at unc is so deeply rooted, and with the AFAM scandal so vigorously nourished, it is strong enough to robustly support the ecosystem complete with bandwagon jumpers from the first half of our most recent back-to-back natties.

MChambers
06-15-2015, 01:32 PM

Like I said, I have no idea what the drinking is like at Duke games. So I'm not on a high horse, but I do think Maryland was bad.

I attended a Northwestern game last year and saw very little evidence of drinking, but maybe I just didn't see it.

royalblue
06-15-2015, 02:29 PM
Maryland fans are worst I have ever seen and I like to think I have observed the best they have to offer at the ACC tourney many times and sat in Maryland section at the 2001 FF. No other fan base is close. Unless they play uncch I do not pull for them.

Dev11
06-15-2015, 06:13 PM

One of my measuring sticks for defining myself as a "recent alum" is the point when I start complaining about "students today." It hasn't happened yet.

I was on the Interfraternity Council board at the same time I worked for the football program in the 2009-2011 time frame. I've had more than my fair share of playing Dev11's advocate on both sides of the debate.

Now let's get back to speculating on the banners UNC will have to take down soon. A friend of mine at Michigan told me they keep the vacated Final Four banners in a drawer on campus, you know, just in case.

Oh, and we can pile on Maryland for selling booze at games. As long as they are paying that exit fee to the ACC, they can do whatever they want. That new Wallace Wade scoreboard can't pay for itself.