PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Everybody Does Do It? (Texas)

BD80
06-10-2015, 09:22 PM
Texas under the gun

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/06/10/texas-rick-barnes-academic-misconduct-allegations

Two students (maybe 3 more) over a 9 year period received help with papers and/or tests.

The good ol' boys in chappa heeya have to be having a good laugh.

That's all? Just 5? Amateurs.

Duke95
06-10-2015, 09:32 PM
Apparently, North Carolina isn't just better than Texas at barbecue, but cheating as well.

Shaka Smart seen holding a baseball bat looking for Rick Barnes. ;)

devildeac
06-10-2015, 09:54 PM
Merely an academic scandal. Move along. Nothing to see here.:rolleyes:

I'll bet UTPB gets in serious trouble with this one. ;)

devildeac
06-10-2015, 10:30 PM
Merely an academic scandal. Move along. Nothing to see here.:rolleyes:

I'll bet UTPB gets in serious trouble with this one. ;)

Although brevity had an even better suggestion/warning that Prairie View might be at even higher risk for sanctions. Good call!

ricks68
06-10-2015, 10:40 PM
Apparently, North Carolina isn't just better than Texas at barbecue, but cheating as well.

Shaka Smart seen holding a baseball bat looking for Rick Barnes. ;)

Boy, you are as delusional as the whatever - you - call them over on IC. You don't mess with Texas, especially Texas BBQ. Get serious.

ricks

Duke95
06-10-2015, 11:44 PM
Boy, you are as delusional as the whatever - you - call them over on IC. You don't mess with Texas, especially Texas BBQ. Get serious.

ricks

Texas bbq is pretty good. However, I prefer the NC vinegar and spice seasoning. I don't think meat needs to be drenched in sauce, especially one that's filled with sugar.

That said, the best bbq sauce I ever had was made by a drunk guy named Tiny at an outdoor late night cookout outside of Aurora, NC. The guy was drinking cheap tequila and chasing it with beer. Could barely stand, but he made an insanely good bbq sauce. I mean, that was the summer before my freshman year at Duke, and I still remember the guy.

Anyway, sorry for the thread hijack.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-10-2015, 11:48 PM

ricks

Easy now... let's not say things we may regret.

ricks68
06-11-2015, 01:48 AM
Easy now... let's not say things we may regret.

I didn't, but only because I redacted what I wanted to say. Saved by the bomber of Choclotized Vortex II I had almost finished before reading my original reply. IMHO, no one can say anything bad after having some of that! Let peace reign throughout the realm!

ricks

madscavenger
06-11-2015, 04:07 AM
Texas bbq is pretty good. However, I prefer the NC vinegar and spice seasoning. I don't think meat needs to be drenched in sauce, especially one that's filled with sugar.

That said, the best bbq sauce I ever had was made by a drunk guy named Tiny at an outdoor late night cookout outside of Aurora, NC. The guy was drinking cheap tequila and chasing it with beer. Could barely stand, but he made an insanely good bbq sauce. I mean, that was the summer before my freshman year at Duke, and I still remember the guy.

Anyway, sorry for the thread hijack.

" I don't think meat needs to be drenched in sauce, especially one that's filled with sugar. "

Sauce? You gave yourself away. You've never had Texas BBQ, have you?

lotusland
06-11-2015, 07:42 AM

ricks

Texans are confused about Bar BQ and Chili. They are forgiven, however, due to their music and songwriting contributions. I feel like I am merging multiple threads here.

YmoBeThere
06-11-2015, 07:59 AM
Having lived for extended periods of time in both states they each have their own merits.

First of all we are really talking pork versus beef. So, while they are both barbecue they are very different things.

ricks68
06-11-2015, 09:29 AM
Having lived for extended periods of time in both states they each have their own merits.

First of all we are really talking pork versus beef. So, while they are both barbecue they are very different things.

Finally, a poster that understands!
(Also, the proper topic for the off season, instead of this constant blather about cheating, etc. over at Chappa Heeyah. Heh heh.)

ricks

Duke95
06-11-2015, 10:33 AM
" I don't think meat needs to be drenched in sauce, especially one that's filled with sugar. "

Sauce? You gave yourself away. You've never had Texas BBQ, have you?

Well, you might be right. In that case, I'll have to try some on my next trip to Houston.

53n206
06-11-2015, 02:36 PM
Texas is beef and red sauce. Carolina is pulled pork. I prefer NC with vinegar etc, especially with a spicy slaw. But a good old Tx barbeque with hot slices of hot beef is hard to beat, great fun.

Tripping William
06-11-2015, 03:05 PM

Does Texas get a year's probation from the BBQ equivalent of SACS for using the wrong animal? ;)

devildeac
06-11-2015, 03:12 PM
Does Texas get a year's probation from the BBQ equivalent of SACS for using the wrong animal? ;)

Yep. They should have used sheep.

ricks68
06-11-2015, 04:05 PM
Yep. They should have used sheep.

From what I have heard, Texans (among others), use sheep for other purposes.:rolleyes:

ricks

ricks68
06-11-2015, 04:11 PM
Well, you might be right. In that case, I'll have to try some on my next trip to Houston.

If you go, don't fall for the citified stuff in Houston proper. Travel about a half hour south down Telephone Road to Killan's in Pearland and have just one beef rib. (You need a friend along, as that will feed both of you if you get a few small sides.)

Then, return to the BBQ thread and give a qualified opinion.:)

ricks

devildeac
06-11-2015, 04:40 PM
From what I have heard, Texans (among others), use sheep for other purposes.:rolleyes:

ricks

That's bad, ricks, very baaaaad.:o

OldPhiKap
06-11-2015, 06:33 PM
I am going to settle this debate over the weekend. Have a 9.5 pound Boston butt of pork and a 15.8 pound beef brisket, gonna smoke them both and will report back. Functioning arteries assuming, of course.

devildeac
06-11-2015, 06:56 PM
I am going to settle this debate over the weekend. Have a 9.5 pound Boston butt of pork and a 15.8 pound beef brisket, gonna smoke them both and will report back. Functioning arteries assuming, of course.

There are at least 2, maybe 3 good cardiac programs in nearby zip codes for you, IIRC, should you need any emergency assistance with matters like that. Oh WTH, with that amount of flesh, you probably should go ahead and reserve a procedure and a bed for sometime Sunday afternoon or evening.

OldPhiKap
06-11-2015, 07:22 PM

I'll be honest. The logistics of this cook are starting to make my head spin.

But scientific curiosity must be appeased.

devildeac
06-11-2015, 07:30 PM

5196 (click to enlarge and read caption)

In my world, these pictures look frighteningly alike.:eek:

OldPhiKap
06-11-2015, 07:33 PM

The fat all cooks off. All that is left is succulent protein.

Sweet, tasty protein.

BD80
06-11-2015, 07:37 PM

Sounds like a food coma coming

devildeac
06-11-2015, 08:20 PM
The fat all cooks off. All that is left is succulent protein.

Sweet, tasty protein.

Ok, but don't say you haven't been warned...

ricks68
06-11-2015, 11:12 PM

Especially when you consider the flight itinerary and hoops you will have to go through in order to enter Texas so that your brisket will be considered actual Texas BBQ: There's a gun check (to make sure that you are carrying----no permit necessary); a passport or visa (I think they still recognize the USA as a country not on their no fly list into the country of Texas-----such as Mexico, El Salvador, Russia, etc.); the necessary immunizations (only for the diseases that Rick Perry deems required to be vaccinated for------like Hoof and Mouth); and a valid far, far right-wing Republican voter ID card. :rolleyes: Look, it takes all kinds, and aren't we a country that encourages diversity within our borders-----like in Asheville? (Just like Texans try soooooooooooooooo hard to tolerate the citizens of Austin within their own country.)

By the way, I just had the finest BBQ'd chicken wings ever at Moe's tonight.:D Not beef, not pork, but BBQ nonetheless. Very light sauce that totally dried on the wings during the process, and none added by me afterwards. Outstanding.

ricks

OldPhiKap
06-11-2015, 11:31 PM
Especially when you consider the flight itinerary and hoops you will have to go through in order to enter Texas so that your brisket will be considered actual Texas BBQ: There's a gun check (to make sure that you are carrying----no permit necessary); a passport or visa (I think they still recognize the USA as a country not on their no fly list into the country of Texas-----such as Mexico, El Salvador, Russia, etc.); the necessary immunizations (only for the diseases that Rick Perry deems required to be vaccinated for------like Hoof and Mouth); and a valid far, far right-wing Republican voter ID card. :rolleyes: Look, it takes all kinds, and aren't we a country that encourages diversity within our borders-----like in Asheville? (Just like Texans try soooooooooooooooo hard to tolerate the citizens of Austin within their own country.)

By the way, I just had the finest BBQ'd chicken wings ever at Moe's tonight.:D Not beef, not pork, but BBQ nonetheless. Very light sauce that totally dried on the wings during the process, and none added by me afterwards. Outstanding.

ricks

You raise excellent questions and points, ricks, as always. My thinking:

1. BBQ (i.e. Pork) -- well, moved to NC in 1984 and lived in NC or GA ever since. So regional sauce differences aside, I'm okay with the 'que.

2. Brisket -- got Hep D from a tattoo and tequila rampage in Juarez before the Sun Bowl last year; have Hatch chili peppers coming out the ears from wandering in southern New Mexico; peyote buttons with Carlos Casteneda during the native sweat hut; tipped a bunch of cows in college. Seems to have that covered.

So, I see my prep as even (more or less).

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-12-2015, 12:15 AM

ricks

I have heard good things about Moe's wings - their pork is nothing remarkable though.

Next time I smoke a pork butt, I will set some aside for you. No passport necessary.

Oh, and to keep things on topic - Texas something something probably cheated. I guess.

DukieInKansas
06-12-2015, 08:48 AM
I love bbq sauce but the true test, to me, of how good the bbq is how does the meat taste, and melt in your mouth, without the sauce.

Hayward's sauce is still my favorite. It isn't as sweet as KC Masterpiece or as vinegary as Gates.

JStuart
06-12-2015, 11:21 AM

Can't spork you, Devildeac, but that is downright, H&E, POTW funny!
JStuart

lotusland
06-12-2015, 02:39 PM
If you go, don't fall for the citified stuff in Houston proper. Travel about a half hour south down Telephone Road to Killan's in Pearland and have just one beef rib. (You need a friend along, as that will feed both of you if you get a few small sides.)

ricks

In case you haven't heard it, "Telephone Road" is a good Steve Earle song on one of my favorite records of all time - El Corazon. I'm going to have add a songs about Texas list to the top 10 song thread. It will be hard to narrow it to 10 tho and, sadly, "Telephone Road" won't make it.

ricks68
06-12-2015, 05:20 PM
In case you haven't heard it, "Telephone Road" is a good Steve Earle song on one of my favorite records of all time - El Corazon. I'm going to have add a songs about Texas list to the top 10 song thread. It will be hard to narrow it to 10 tho and, sadly, "Telephone Road" won't make it.

Telephone Road is a quite interesting road. Pretty downtrodden and has the character that would certainly fit a Steve Earle song.

ricks

lotusland
06-12-2015, 05:40 PM
Telephone Road is a quite interesting road. Pretty downtrodden and has the character that would certainly fit a Steve Earle song.

ricks

"Telephone Road is 10 miles long
50 car lots and 100 honky tonks"

duke blue brewcrew
06-12-2015, 05:52 PM
Texas is beef and red sauce. Carolina is pulled pork. I prefer NC with vinegar etc, especially with a spicy slaw. But a good old Tx barbeque with hot slices of hot beef is hard to beat, great fun.

I agree. I was born and raised on Lexington (or aka Western NC) style BBQ - vinegar based red sauce w/ the spicy slaw to match. It's my favorite BBQ on the planet. And I would also say that Texas knows what the heck they are doing when it comes to brisket, that stuff is melt in your mouth good!

Duke95
06-12-2015, 09:58 PM

ricks

Thanks for the recommendation. Much appreciated.