PDA

View Full Version : Note of Appreciation

Saratoga2
06-05-2015, 03:35 PM
Don't know where to put this but I would like to express my appreciation for the format used in the Duke Basketball Report wherein a fan can express thoughts in a civil and lucid way as part of a discussion of the merits of a variety of topics. I almost hate to admit I am also a very long term fan of the Boston Red Sox but find no way other than a tweet to communicate with them. Clearly, the fan base can and does have ideas that should be listened to. When a club is obviously struggling, some outside input might actually lead to improvements. Keep the Duke Basketball Report going as it is.

Bill

WiJoe
06-05-2015, 04:18 PM
have you tried sonsofsamhorn.com

for Red Sox comments?

-jk
06-05-2015, 04:28 PM
Don't know where to put this but I would like to express my appreciation for the format used in the Duke Basketball Report wherein a fan can express thoughts in a civil and lucid way as part of a discussion of the merits of a variety of topics. I almost hate to admit I am also a very long term fan of the Boston Red Sox but find no way other than a tweet to communicate with them. Clearly, the fan base can and does have ideas that should be listened to. When a club is obviously struggling, some outside input might actually lead to improvements. Keep the Duke Basketball Report going as it is.

Bill

Thanks! I'm glad you like our site.

We have a lot of thoughtful members and a dedicated Mod team. DBR doesn't, though, have any affiliation with Duke; this is a fan's joint!

-jk

Skitzle
06-05-2015, 05:05 PM
And DBR just got an NOA. You have 90 days to respond. Oh wait jk responded...

MarkD83
06-05-2015, 05:29 PM
And DBR just got an NOA. You have 90 days to respond. Oh wait jk responded...

Wait here is our redacted response:

OldPhiKap
06-05-2015, 05:31 PM
DBR doesn't, though, have any affiliation with Duke

Does this make DBR like a Duke Super-PAC?

(And on topic -- this is an extremely well-moderated board in both tone and combining threads. And the fact that it is user-driven (topics initiated by us rabble) as opposed to the formats used on SBNation (article-driven) leads to lots of good interchanges and nuanced discussions.

And of course, bone-heads like me.)

ChillinDuke
06-05-2015, 05:32 PM

Bill

Yeah, this place rules.

- Chillin

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-05-2015, 06:03 PM
Oh man, good thread topic. Especially when we have other threads detailing the IC meltdown.

This place is great, and I know some folks bristle at the involvement of the mods, but I really think it makes a huge difference in terms of civil discourse.

Fan bases are notoriously unreasonable, and this board allows us to at least seem a half-step above the fray for the most part.

I admire the heck out of the culture fostered here and I am proud to be a part of it.

wsb3
06-06-2015, 08:53 AM
I love DBR...

Many thanks to all who make it happen.

CameronBlue
06-06-2015, 10:40 AM
Civility has its limits.

----a concerned Yankees fan

Saratoga2
06-06-2015, 11:51 AM
have you tried sonsofsamhorn.com

for Red Sox comments?

Thanks, I'll check it out.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-06-2015, 02:15 PM
The mods have always done a great job, and it's been years since the last time they sent me to Siberia :p
But I hate it when threads we combined. Always have, always will. I stopped complaining about it about the time some of you newbies got out of diapers :cool:

LetItBD08
06-06-2015, 02:31 PM
But I hate it when threads we combined. Always have, always will.

I don't post very often, but DBR has been my daily first stop for over a decade. I cannot agree more. It is very tough to keep up with the ultra-long threads once you fall behind. I see the rationale behind combining threads (especially during the season), but maybe the mods can consider relaxing the rules a bit during the summer months? There aren't that many threads started this time of year.

NYBri
06-06-2015, 02:32 PM
The mods have always done a great job, and it's been years since the last time they sent me to Siberia :p
But I hate it when threads we combined. Always have, always will. I stopped complaining about it about the time some of you newbies got out of diapers :cool:

I think my last trip to Siberia was in 2013...and deservedly so.

DBR is my favorite sports board. Smart with a sprinkle of snark

Ima Facultiwyfe
06-06-2015, 03:23 PM
"Smart with a sprinkle of snark"
Gotta remember that one. It should go on a button!
Love, Ima

-jk
06-06-2015, 03:36 PM
I don't post very often, but DBR has been my daily first stop for over a decade. I cannot agree more. It is very tough to keep up with the ultra-long threads once you fall behind. I see the rationale behind combining threads (especially during the season), but maybe the mods can consider relaxing the rules a bit during the summer months? There aren't that many threads started this time of year.

So long as you browse DBR while logged in, the "new" button will take you to the first post in a thread you haven't yet read. The other option is to have entire threads scroll off the first page and into purgatory.

I understand it's an uncomfortable choice for some.

-jk

hurleyfor3
06-06-2015, 03:53 PM
But I hate it when threads we combined.

It's a balancing act.

Sometimes people start a new thread because they hear of "news" that is in fact days or even months old -- this especially happens with 30 for 30 documentaries. We believe it helps people get the longer perspective and see what's been hashed over in those cases. Discussions involving a "big picture", such as schedule construction, are probably best off in a single thread, we think.

The alternative is to have the first page cluttered with smaller threads that run over similar ground as others, or are distracting. This especially happens in March, and we made a deliberate effort this year to enforce more thread discipline. During the summer it's less of an issue, but keeping order still has its benefits, especially this summer with more news than usual.

Note we've started a separate thread every time news has broken in the unc scandal, including a couple days ago.

superdave
06-07-2015, 07:13 AM
I always appreciate threads that start with "Mods feel free to move this thread."

They are moderators with omni-moderating powers, and they dont move threads at your direction, plebe!

sagegrouse
06-07-2015, 08:45 AM
So long as you browse DBR while logged in, the "new" button will take you to the first post in a thread you haven't yet read. The other option is to have entire threads scroll off the first page and into purgatory.

I understand it's an uncomfortable choice for some.

-jk

It can't be overemphasized. Your best friend on DBR is the button that reads, "View First Unread." It will save gobs of time in keeping up with the message board.

camion
06-07-2015, 08:56 AM
It can't be overemphasized. Your best friend on DBR is the button that reads, "View First Unread." It will save gobs of time in keeping up with the message board.

I found those stealth buttons. Being left handed I generally look at the left side.

-jk
06-07-2015, 09:03 AM
I found those stealth buttons. Being left handed I generally look at the left side.

The best part of the "new" button is that it's platform/browser independent so long as you're logged in (check the box); it's stored on the server side. As you move from your home computer to your tablet to your phone to your work computer, it's all sync'ed.

-jk

camion
06-07-2015, 09:20 AM
The "New" button also only appears when there is something new for you in the thread. It isn't there all the time. I spent some time looking for a button that didn't exist on the page I had up.

-jk
06-07-2015, 09:24 AM
That view is from within a thread. You can get to new posts from the main forum view as well: In any particular forum, just to the left of an unread thread's subject, there's a small, blue box with "New". Click that button to jump to the first unread message. (If you float your mouse over the arrow, it says "Go to first new post".) It only works in Linear view, though.

-jk

OldPhiKap
06-07-2015, 12:03 PM
Between the "jump to new" feature and the "ignore poster" feature, what else could you want?

devildeac
06-07-2015, 12:51 PM
Between the "jump to new" feature and the "ignore poster" feature, what else could you want?

A 2016 MBB National Championship thread? (or WBB/MS/WS/MLAX/WLAX/etc);)

OldPhiKap
06-07-2015, 02:57 PM
A 2016 MBB National Championship thread? (or WBB/MS/WS/MLAX/WLAX/etc);)

Well, we have the football championship in January first. But, okay.

LetItBD08
06-07-2015, 08:24 PM

Yes, 'Jump to new' is useful. Still, it does get very frustrating when you're 100 posts behind and 80 of them are off topic. I know the DBR moderators like to keep the local meeting place feel, and I do respect that. It is, however, easy to miss posts with new or interesting information. Look at the basketball and football recruitment threads. They go off on tangents consistently. Personally, I wish there were a way to highlight new/high interest posts in these long threads (recruitment offers, player analysis, any time Jim Sumner posts) so that some of the quieter visitors can filter through easier.

OldPhiKap
06-07-2015, 08:37 PM
Yes, 'Jump to new' is useful. Still, it does get very frustrating when you're 100 posts behind and 80 of them are off topic. I know the DBR moderators like to keep the local meeting place feel, and I do respect that. It is, however, easy to miss posts with new or interesting information. Look at the basketball and football recruitment threads. They go off on tangents consistently. Personally, I wish there were a way to highlight new/high interest posts in these long threads (recruitment offers, player analysis, any time Jim Sumner posts) so that some of the quieter visitors can filter through easier.

Agreed, but the flip side is - if there are, say, six or ten different threads on a topic, you still need to go through them. And then you have even more wandering and overlap.

But I understand there are varying views on the issue. I like the mergers but do not begrudge those who see it differently.

LetItBD08
06-08-2015, 01:51 AM
My line of thought is that separate threads highlight important updates. I know that introduces a bunch of other issues and could make things more difficult on the mods. I just personally wish there was a good way to highlight the most highly relevant posts within a thread while keeping the tangents (which are plenty of times entertaining and informative as well).