PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Women's Golf Championship

sagegrouse
05-22-2015, 10:31 AM
Tournament begins today (Friday) at the Concession Course in Bradenton, FL. Duke is the defending champion.

Duke is the leader among the six teams that started at 7:30 AM today, with a score of +2. Players are spread out among different foursomes and the Blue Devils have completed holes ranging from 7 to 10.

Bluedog
05-22-2015, 10:41 AM
With the new format, Duke just needs to be in the top 8 to make the match-play rounds. Then, it's a single elimination tournament for three rounds to determine the team champion. Individual champion is determined via the stroke play. Go Duke!

http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2014-09-15/new-format-mens-and-womens-golf-championships-receives-approval

Live team leaderboard can be found here:
http://www.ncaa.com/2015-di-womens-golf-championships-team-leaderboard

sagegrouse
05-22-2015, 10:56 AM
With the new format, Duke just needs to be in the top 8 to make the match-play rounds. Then, it's a single elimination tournament for three rounds to determine the team champion. Individual champion is determined via the stroke play. Go Duke!

http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2014-09-15/new-format-mens-and-womens-golf-championships-receives-approval

Live team leaderboard can be found here:

Thanks, Bluedog. Below is the NCAA presser's complete text. Here are highlights:

54 holes of medal play Friday through Sunday to determine the eight teams that reach the match-play round.

Quarters and semis are on Tuesday. The finals are on Wednesday. Golf Channel will televise the last three days.

I gather that the last round of the 72-hole individual championship will be on Monday, although it isn't totally clear.

A player, whose team reaches the finals and who also qualifies to play Monday in the individual championship round, will play seven rounds in six days. Holy Q School!

Men's championship is the following week on the same course. It is set up for the women at 6,468 yards.

The Division I Championships/Sports Management Cabinet approved an adjustment to the format of the 2015 men’s and women’s golf championship finals. The change replaces the individuals-only day on Monday with play by the top 15 teams and nine individuals not on one of the advancing teams.

The 2015 finals format for both championships will consist of three days (54 holes) of stroke play for all, Friday through Sunday.

After Monday, the top eight teams advance to the match-play team championship, and the 72-hole individual national champion will be determined.

Both the men’s and women’s Division I golf committees believe the revised format will add excitement to the championships, which will be televised live during the last three days of each event by the Golf Channel.

The team national champions will be determined by a match-play format consisting of quarterfinals and semifinals played on Tuesday, followed by the finals on Wednesday.

The Division I Women’s Golf Championships are scheduled for May 22-27, and the men’s championships are scheduled for May 29-June 3. Both will be played at The Concession Golf Club in Bradenton, Florida, with the University of South Florida serving as host.

SoCalDukeFan
05-22-2015, 11:23 AM
Thanks, Bluedog. Below is the NCAA presser's complete text. Here are highlights:

54 holes of medal play Friday through Sunday to determine the eight teams that reach the match-play round.

Quarters and semis are on Tuesday. The finals are on Wednesday. Golf Channel will televise the last three days.

I gather that the last round of the 72-hole individual championship will be on Monday, although it isn't totally clear.

A player, whose team reaches the finals and who also qualifies to play Monday in the individual championship round, will play seven rounds in six days. Holy Q School!

Men's championship is the following week on the same course. It is set up for the women at 6,468 yards.

I don't get why the players who have no chance at the individual title play on Monday?

SoCal

johnb
05-22-2015, 11:26 AM
At the moment, Duke leads the team standings and Duke's Leona Maguire is at the top of the individual leaderboard.

sagegrouse
05-22-2015, 11:35 AM
I don't get why the players who have no chance at the individual title play on Monday?

SoCal

SoCal: Here's a guess. Team qualifying ends Sunday, and Monday play is for only the top 24 individuals (or some other number) from the first 54 holes. Also, 54-hole medal play includes individuals who qualified even though their team didn't. It will all be revealed by Monday.

sagegrouse
05-22-2015, 01:32 PM
Duke has finished its round at +5. Duke now has at least a seven-shot lead over the other 11 teams that teed off this AM.

The second set of 12 teams has just begun play.

The teams are playing to select the eight qualifiers for match play, and the position of finish determines the seeding.

Go Duke!

MCFinARL
05-22-2015, 01:32 PM
Duke has finished their round at +5, which puts them comfortably ahead of all of the teams they began with this morning (which were the top 12 ranked teams). The closest teams in that group, some of whom are still on the course, are at +12.

four afternoon-starting teams are currently "ahead" of Duke, but are all still on the first three holes. The last group of 6 teams, which includes 13th ranked Stanford and 14th-ranked Northwestern, have yet to start. Overall, though, things looking good for the Blue Devils so far.

Bluedog
05-22-2015, 02:43 PM
Luckily for Duke, they throw out the worst score of the day...which was a +17. The other golfers logged -1, +1, +2, +3. Top seed USC ended up at +10, five back of Duke for second place of teams that have completed the round thus far.

Tom B.
05-22-2015, 02:57 PM
Luckily for Duke, they throw out the worst score of the day...which was a +17. The other golfers logged -1, +1, +2, +3. Top seed USC ended up at +10, five back of Duke for second place of teams that have completed the round thus far.

I'm seeing USC at +9, not +10. So they're four back of Duke, not five.

burnspbesq
05-22-2015, 03:21 PM
Hopefully we can cement a spot in the quarterfinals tomorrow. There is no way my heart survives another stretch run like last year's.

MCFinARL
05-22-2015, 04:20 PM
Duke currently sitting in eighth place, but the teams ahead of them still have a lot of golf to play. Purdue is looking pretty good at +2 with all golfers at or near the beginning of the back 9. Stanford is leading at -1, with only one golfer having completed 7 holes. The other teams range from +2 to +4, with all but one on holes 4-7; that one, Alabama, is at +4 on holes 8-12 and is riding one exceptional performer who is tied for the lead at -3 after 9.

MCFinARL
05-22-2015, 05:42 PM
Now only Stanford remains ahead of Duke, at +2 near the end of the front nine. They had an hour lightning delay.

Tom B.
05-22-2015, 06:35 PM
Duke is now back in front. Baylor and Stanford are still on the course at +6; Northwestern is still on the course at +8. All three teams are on the back nine, playing holes 10-13.

Duvall
05-22-2015, 07:04 PM
Let's hope Duke women's golf can salvage something from this athletics season.

BigWayne
05-22-2015, 07:09 PM

SoCal

NCAA releases are not consistent on the details, but what I gather is that the Monday event includes the top 15 teams, plus the top 9 individuals not on one of the top 15 teams. The final 8 teams are determined by 4 days of scores. Remember that each day you count your 4 best scores and throw out the 5th.

What I have not been able to find anywhere is a full description of how they will do the match play. goduke.com states it will be individual match play, with coaches selecting the player matchups. Doesn't say how many players, etc. Presumably it's got to be 3 or 5 players to have an odd number. If it's 3, the Tuesday play could be interesting as you could have players in the semifinal round that sat out the morning session. Could be some interesting coaches gambles.

Also, they might not get the full rounds in today. - Play has been stopped for a second time at 6:48PM due to lightning.

sagegrouse
05-22-2015, 07:22 PM
NCAA releases are not consistent on the details, but what I gather is that the Monday event includes the top 15 teams, plus the top 9 individuals not on one of the top 15 teams. The final 8 teams are determined by 4 days of scores. Remember that each day you count your 4 best scores and throw out the 5th.

What I have not been able to find anywhere is a full description of how they will do the match play. goduke.com states it will be individual match play, with coaches selecting the player matchups. Doesn't say how many players, etc. Presumably it's got to be 3 or 5 players to have an odd number. If it's 3, the Tuesday play could be interesting as you could have players in the semifinal round that sat out the morning session. Could be some interesting coaches gambles.

Also, they might not get the full rounds in today. - Play has been stopped for a second time at 6:48PM due to lightning.

Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for figuring it out.

Tom B.
05-22-2015, 07:24 PM

Play has been suspended for the day. Duke is in second place at +5. Stanford is at +3, but hasn't finished its round. They're on holes 11-14.

sagegrouse
05-22-2015, 07:37 PM
Duke is now back in front. Baylor and Stanford are still on the course at +6; Northwestern is still on the course at +8. All three teams are on the back nine, playing holes 10-13.

Play has stopped for day -- there were two lightning delays this PM. Stanford is now down to +3 after four birdies in the last couple of holes. They are playing holes 11-14. Duke is in second, and I expect we will either be first or second when the round is complete.

Great play, ladies! Go Duke!

SCMatt33
05-22-2015, 09:00 PM

If they follow what the men have done since going to match play, it will be all 5.

msdukie
05-23-2015, 12:54 AM
Let's hope Duke women's golf can salvage something from this athletics season.

Well, women's golf didn't win an ACC title, so no....

sagegrouse
05-23-2015, 11:40 AM
First round play ended with Duke tied for the lead with Stanford and four shots ahead of Baylor and the USC Trojans.

In today's play, Stanford is +7 playing holes 2-6. Duke and USC tee off in the afternoon round.

burnspbesq
05-23-2015, 02:16 PM
Stanford has really blown up. +17 on the day, playing holes 9-15.

roywhite
05-23-2015, 03:09 PM
An awful start for Duke. None of our players have gone more than 3 holes, and the team is +5. Everybody had a bogey or worse on the opening hole (they started on the 10th).

BigWayne
05-23-2015, 03:22 PM
An awful start for Duke. None of our players have gone more than 3 holes, and the team is +5. Everybody had a bogey or worse on the opening hole (they started on the 10th).
Conditions are apparently much worse today. Most teams are posting higher scores.

devildeac
05-23-2015, 07:24 PM
Conditions are apparently much worse today. Most teams are posting higher scores.

Conditions must be horrendous. Best scores are +5 and +6 with no other teams <+10 and many teams +20 or +30 or higher. Duke is +18 and playing the last 4 holes.

ChemGod
05-24-2015, 01:39 AM
Sat on a plane with UNC women's golf team this last week...asked casually how their men's ball team did and who won the tournament...

grossbus
05-24-2015, 08:08 AM
Nice.

Well played.

sagegrouse
05-24-2015, 11:06 AM
Duke (#4 seed) finished the second round in second place at +26 to #1 seeded USC Trojans at +24.

There are 24 teams in the field, and only eight make the match play portion of the tournament. Duke is, so far, 15 shots ahead of #9 Washington (UDub). Two more rounds to go -- today, when Duke tees off at 2 PM ET, and tomorrow, when only the top 15 teams make the cut.

Other top seeds are suffering: #2 South Carolina is at +54 and #3 UCLA is at +61. The other three ACC teams -- ACC champion UVa, Wake and State -- are lagging and will have to make up more than 10 strokes to get to match play.

Duke is led by Leona Maguire in second place in the overall field of 133 at +1. She is followed by Gurbani Singh at T-9, Celine Boutier at T-32 and Sandy Choi at T-49. Leona's twin Lisa is at the back of the field in #128 place with a score of +30. Lisa had a good second nine yesterday, and Duke will need improved scoring from Lisa to make a run at the championship.

sagegrouse
05-25-2015, 09:09 AM
Duke is heading into the final qualifying round in first place with a four-shot lead over #1-seeded USC Trojans. Duke had a spectacular +4 for the day and made up six shots on USC. Leona Maguire is in third place in the individual championships, and Gurbani Singh is tied for sixth.

Today's round for the top 15 teams and the individual leaders begins at 10:40. The individual champion will be crowned today. Today's play will also determine the eight teams in the match-play event for the team championship. As I said a couple of days ago, "Holy Q-School! Seven rounds in six days for the two teams that make the finals.

Despite (or because of) all my mental telepathy, Leona's twin Lisa continues to struggle -- starting triple-bogey, double-bogey en route to an 82. C'mon, Lisa, you can do it!

Go Duke!

chrishoke
05-25-2015, 09:18 AM
Duke is leading the field after three rounds! How does the match play unfold from here?

Bluedog
05-25-2015, 09:26 AM
Duke is leading the field after three rounds! How does the match play unfold from here?

1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, etc. Seems like Duke women's golf always turns it on at tourney time! Too bad it's not just stroke play that determines the champion (not the jinx it, a lot can change in a single round). Right now, the team in 8th place is 7th seeded Washington, Stanford is in 7th place and and UC Davis is in 9th. They're all bunched up, so things will definitely change. The issue with match play for Duke is that I think EVERY golfer counts, so Lisa Maguire's play WILL count, so she needs to seriously turn it on or Duke will be at a disadvantage and putting additional pressure on the other 4 golfers. As part of stroke play, the worst score for the round gets thrown out (which has been Lisa's score for the first three rounds BY FAR). USC, for instance, has shown much more balance and consistency with all 5 of its golfers.

(Note: I could be misunderstanding what happens during matchplay, but you'd think it's 5 vs 5 and whichever team has 3 victories gets to move on, right? So, somebody having a killer round does not more than compensate for another since a victory of 1 stroke counts the same as a victory of 10 strokes. There's probably some strategy there too -- maybe you pit Lisa against the toughest golfer on the other team and almost concede that match to give you a better chance at the other 4? Not sure how that works...).

MCFinARL
05-25-2015, 10:54 AM
1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, etc. Seems like Duke women's golf always turns it on at tourney time! Too bad it's not just stroke play that determines the champion (not the jinx it, a lot can change in a single round). Right now, the team in 8th place is 7th seeded Washington, Stanford is in 7th place and and UC Davis is in 9th. They're all bunched up, so things will definitely change. The issue with match play for Duke is that I think EVERY golfer counts, so Lisa Maguire's play WILL count, so she needs to seriously turn it on or Duke will be at a disadvantage and putting additional pressure on the other 4 golfers. As part of stroke play, the worst score for the round gets thrown out (which has been Lisa's score for the first three rounds BY FAR). USC, for instance, has shown much more balance and consistency with all 5 of its golfers.

(Note: I could be misunderstanding what happens during matchplay, but you'd think it's 5 vs 5 and whichever team has 3 victories gets to move on, right? So, somebody having a killer round does not more than compensate for another since a victory of 1 stroke counts the same as a victory of 10 strokes. There's probably some strategy there too -- maybe you pit Lisa against the toughest golfer on the other team and almost concede that match to give you a better chance at the other 4? Not sure how that works...).

Good question. If it's set up like, say, the Ryder Cup, then the coaches would have the option of arranging the players however they want, but if Duke put Lisa in its #1 spot, that move might be countered by the opposing coach rearranging players as well. Regardless of how the matches are set up, having one player whose game is not in good shape would mean the team would, essentially, have to win 3 out of 4 matches, where their opponent, with an almost certain victory in the bag, would need to win 2 out of 4.

The good news is that Lisa Maguire's rounds have been better each day-- 89, 85, 82. So maybe she is getting a handle on her game. Each of the teams clustered around the #7 and #8 positions has had at least one golfer shoot in the low 80's at some point during the tournament, so there might be matches Lisa could win.

Olympic Fan
05-25-2015, 02:29 PM
Duke holds a one-shot lead on SCal through four holes in today's final round.

But that's not THAT important, since the title is determined by match play and all that matters is to make the final eight. Duke leads the ninth-place team by 22 shots, a pretty comfortable margin.

What IS important today is the individual standings, since the individual champion will be determined today.

As of this moment, Duke's Leona McGuire is three under after four holes and is -1 for the tournament ... tied for first with Emma Talley of Alabama, who went out early and is through 10 holes.

It looks like McGuire is playing in a group with ASU's Monica Vaughn, who is -1 through four holes today and even for the tournament.

chrishoke
05-25-2015, 03:52 PM
It's a good thing match play doesn't start until tomorrow - everyone other than Leona is blowing up today.

burnspbesq
05-25-2015, 03:54 PM
Leona is -4 through nine holes (68 would tie for the low round of the tournament) and tied for the individual lead.

Team is struggling a bit (+11 so far) but still in second. Trailing USC by five, and four up on third-place Baylor, which is having a great day so far.

InSpades
05-25-2015, 07:43 PM
Duke finished 2nd. Rough day overall (+15) but they came on a bit at the end to take 2nd. When I looked w/ 2 holes left they were tied w/ Baylor for 3rd, they managed to eek ahead of Baylor by 1 stroke and Stanford dropped below both so they grabbed 2nd.

Leona Maguire finished tied for 2nd individually, 1 shot back.

Good luck in the match play ladies!

Indoor66
05-25-2015, 07:46 PM
The west coast of Florida has had terrible weather all week. Storms, winds, rain and general unpleasantness. I understand the scoring issues.

MCFinARL
05-25-2015, 08:08 PM
Duke finished 2nd. Rough day overall (+15) but they came on a bit at the end to take 2nd. When I looked w/ 2 holes left they were tied w/ Baylor for 3rd, they managed to eek ahead of Baylor by 1 stroke and Stanford dropped below both so they grabbed 2nd.

Leona Maguire finished tied for 2nd individually, 1 shot back.

Good luck in the match play ladies!

Yes, Stanford was finishing on the front nine, and three of their five players bogeyed the very difficult last hole there, to go with 2 pars--in the end, birdying that hole is what won Emma Talley the individual championship. At the same time, Duke, finishing on 18, had two birdies, two pars and a bogey. So the last hole made a big difference.

Very glad that Duke got out of the fourth position, so if they have to face USC it will be because they have gotten to the finals.

awhom111
05-25-2015, 09:13 PM
Yes, Stanford was finishing on the front nine, and three of their five players bogeyed the very difficult last hole there, to go with 2 pars--in the end, birdying that hole is what won Emma Talley the individual championship. At the same time, Duke, finishing on 18, had two birdies, two pars and a bogey. So the last hole made a big difference.

Very glad that Duke got out of the fourth position, so if they have to face USC it will be because they have gotten to the finals.

Interesting looking at the match play bracket from pre-tournament rankings: (Golfstat before this tournament) [Golfweek before regionals]

USC (1) [3] vs Washington (7) [1]
Arizona (5) [6] vs Stanford (13) [16]
Baylor (18) [17] vs Tennessee (12) [11]
Texas Tech (27) [34] vs Duke (4) [5]

MCFinARL
05-26-2015, 08:12 AM
Interesting looking at the match play bracket from pre-tournament rankings: (Golfstat before this tournament) [Golfweek before regionals]

That is most interesting--Duke gets a match up against the theoretically weakest team still in the field, and USC against a theoretical powerhouse. Of course, how they have been playing this week provides a different perspective--can a team like Texas Tech that has apparently been playing over its head keep it up another day?

sagegrouse
05-26-2015, 08:47 AM

Rankings and seedings aside, Duke is getting waxed by Texas Tech, 0-4-1 after holes 4-7.

Go Devils!

wilson
05-26-2015, 09:36 AM
Rankings and seedings aside, Duke is getting waxed by Texas Tech, 0-4-1 after holes 4-7.

Go Devils!Now all square at 2-2-1 through holes 8-10.
Live scoring here:

sagegrouse
05-26-2015, 09:49 AM

Go Devils!

Duke now in the lead, 3-2, after holes 8-11. Gurbani and Celine each won three holes in a row to move ahead in their matches.

roywhite
05-26-2015, 10:51 AM
4-1 Duke, all matches on the back nine and a few should close soon.

Looks good.

grossbus
05-26-2015, 11:52 AM
What time did we tee off???

Turned on golf channel and we were already done.

What time tomorrow?

wilson
05-26-2015, 11:53 AM
4-1 Duke, all matches on the back nine and a few should close soon.

Looks good.It's official...Duke wins the quarterfinal match 4-1 and advances to play #3 qualifier Baylor, who defeated Tennessee 3-1-1 today.

grossbus
05-26-2015, 12:01 PM
U Dub giving SoCal a battle

grossbus
05-26-2015, 12:19 PM
Whoa. We go again this pm. Wow.

MCFinARL
05-26-2015, 12:25 PM
Whoa. We go again this pm. Wow.

Yes. And to answer your first question, we apparently teed off at 7 AM. No rest for the weary in this tournament.

MCFinARL
05-26-2015, 12:48 PM
Sanford will meet USC in the second semifinal. Good luck to Duke against Baylor--they will need to bring it as Baylor is playing very well and the matchup looks very close.

roywhite
05-26-2015, 12:56 PM
Sanford will meet USC in the second semifinal. Good luck to Duke against Baylor--they will need to bring it as Baylor is playing very well and the matchup looks very close.

A rivalry of sorts? Don't think of the Bears as being involved much with Duke, but they are on our football schedule for 2017 and 2018, and we had a key basketball game against them in the Regional Finals in 2010.

And came across this from a few years back:

Duke vs. Baylor, 1958 Oct 11 (http://library.duke.edu/digitalcollections/media/jpg/dsp/med/dspfb092590010.jpg)

Beat those Bears!

InSpades
05-26-2015, 01:54 PM
Curious how the matchups are being made... anyone know for sure?

The Duke-Baylor matchups seem very even (the only mixed matches are the 2s vs. the 3s).

Meanwhile for USC and Stanford there are many mixed matches including Stanford's #1 vs. USC's #5 (which seems to favor USC as I doubt Stanford would want their best golfer going against USC's worst).

I guess who the "best golfer" going into the tournament could change during the tournament.

AustinDevil
05-26-2015, 02:01 PM
A rivalry of sorts? Don't think of the Bears as being involved much with Duke, but they are on our football schedule for 2017 and 2018, and we had a key basketball game against them in the Regional Finals in 2010.

And came across this from a few years back:

Duke vs. Baylor, 1958 Oct 11 (http://library.duke.edu/digitalcollections/media/jpg/dsp/med/dspfb092590010.jpg)

Beat those Bears!

Interestingly, Baylor is also the only other school that seems to use our "Rip 'em up, Tear 'em up" cheer, ending with "Sic 'em, B.U.!" I would love to know who used it first.

http://www.baylor.edu/students/gameday/index.php?id=867034

MCFinARL
05-26-2015, 02:43 PM
Curious how the matchups are being made... anyone know for sure?

The Duke-Baylor matchups seem very even (the only mixed matches are the 2s vs. the 3s).

Meanwhile for USC and Stanford there are many mixed matches including Stanford's #1 vs. USC's #5 (which seems to favor USC as I doubt Stanford would want their best golfer going against USC's worst).

I guess who the "best golfer" going into the tournament could change during the tournament.

If I understood the commentators correctly on this morning's matches, the higher seeded team is permitted to announce its lineup first or to defer--not surprisingly, apparently most defer. So there is some room for strategy here. And that seems likely to be what Stanford has done with that pairing.

On the other hand, as you note, there is some difference between the golfers' rankings going into the tournament and their play during the tournament. Duke #3, Sandy Choi, is playing Baylor #4 while Duke #4, Gurbani Singh, is playing Baylor #3--but Singh has been playing better than Choi over the course of this tournament, so it appears Duke is going with straightforward match ups. Edit--I note that on the pairings for this round, Singh is listed as Duke #2, even though she was listed as #4 for the medal play. She is, in fact, playing Baylor # 3, while Celine Boutier, now listed as Duke #3 though she was #2 for medal play, is playing Baylor #2.

grossbus
05-26-2015, 03:05 PM
Duke leads in three matches, AS in two.

grossbus
05-26-2015, 03:13 PM
Hole 5-7, up 4, AS 1.

InSpades
05-26-2015, 03:22 PM
If I understood the commentators correctly on this morning's matches, the higher seeded team is permitted to announce its lineup first or to defer--not surprisingly, apparently most defer. So there is some room for strategy here. And that seems likely to be what Stanford has done with that pairing.

On the other hand, as you note, there is some difference between the golfers' rankings going into the tournament and their play during the tournament. Duke #3, Sandy Choi, is playing Baylor #4 while Duke #4, Gurbani Singh, is playing Baylor #3--but Singh has been playing better than Choi over the course of this tournament, so it appears Duke is going with straightforward match ups. Edit--I note that on the pairings for this round, Singh is listed as Duke #2, even though she was listed as #4 for the medal play. She is, in fact, playing Baylor # 3, while Celine Boutier, now listed as Duke #3 though she was #2 for medal play, is playing Baylor #2.

Interesting! Thanks for the info.

Shows a lot of confidence in your team to basically line 'em up across and play. There must be a lot of temptation to basically "throw a match" like USC appears to be doing and gain an advantage at the other 4. Especially w/ Duke's 5th player not playing so hot (but she is basically even w/ Baylor's 5th).

Seems to be working so far (for Duke, not so much USC)! Get 'em ladies!

BD80
05-26-2015, 03:26 PM
Any way to see individual match scores?

Up 4 means up in 4 matches, but it doesn't say if those 4 matches are close or in hand.

grossbus
05-26-2015, 03:27 PM
5-8. Duke 5-0-0

+2, +4, +1, +2, +2

grossbus
05-26-2015, 03:42 PM
Interesting. Half the players carrying, half with push carts.

Li M. Up 2
Choi up 4
Singh AS
Le M up 1
Bouvier up 3

7-9

burnspbesq
05-26-2015, 03:44 PM
Approaching the midway point, Duke leads, 4½ to ½.

Lisa M. is two up through nine. Choi is four up through eight. Singh is all square through eight. Leona M. is one up through seven. Boutier is three up through seven.

tbyers11
05-26-2015, 03:48 PM

Up 4 means up in 4 matches, but it doesn't say if those 4 matches are close or in hand.

Click on Duke in the semifinal scoreboard. It expands to show the details of each match.

grossbus
05-26-2015, 03:57 PM
Singh now down 1

Leona struggling a little.

InSpades
05-26-2015, 04:04 PM

From this link: http://www.ncaa.com/2015-di-womens-golf-championships-team-leaderboard

Switch at the top to "Match Championship" instead of "Medal Championship".

Then click "Matches Summary" and then click on one of the team names for the full scoring details of each match.

grossbus
05-26-2015, 04:34 PM
Li M down1
Choi up 5
Singh down 1
Le M AS
bouvier up 3

10-13

Nitty gritty time. Leona not sharp.

grossbus
05-26-2015, 04:42 PM
Choi wins 6 and 5

grossbus
05-26-2015, 04:46 PM
Leona makes a mess of 12, but Kim misses short par putt. Still AS.

This match will be the decider.

grossbus
05-26-2015, 04:54 PM
Boutier loses two, now only up 1.

grossbus
05-26-2015, 05:03 PM
Leona birdies 13. Goes 1 up.

burnspbesq
05-26-2015, 05:07 PM
Singh wins 14 by holing a pitch from off the green. Cuts her deficit to one.

chrishoke
05-26-2015, 05:10 PM
Are you guys watching on the Golf Channel?

duke79
05-26-2015, 05:11 PM
YOu can watch live on golfchannel.com

grossbus
05-26-2015, 05:12 PM
Leona back to AS

burnspbesq
05-26-2015, 05:17 PM
Whyte hit her tee shot in the water on 17. Lisa M. has a chance to make 18 relevant.

Bluedog
05-26-2015, 05:22 PM
What happens in a tie? If it's 2-2-1? The AS match goes back to hole 1 until somebody takes the lead? (Both semifinal matches currently at 2-2-1). Go Duke!

burnspbesq
05-26-2015, 05:29 PM
Lisa M. wins 17. If she wins 18 to halve the match, that would be a huge momentum swing for Duke.

Reisen
05-26-2015, 05:32 PM
Lisa M safely in the fairway on 18, Lauren Whyte in the palmettos. She has a chance...

burnspbesq
05-26-2015, 05:33 PM
Lisa M. drove right down the middle to put the pressure on Whyte, and Whyte hit it way right, across a cart path and into a mess of palmetto.

Reisen
05-26-2015, 05:35 PM
Whyte taking a drop.

Reisen
05-26-2015, 05:38 PM
Whyte short with her 3rd, Lisa M is on the green with her 2nd.

burnspbesq
05-26-2015, 05:40 PM
If Lisa wins 18, the match is not halved; they will go to extra holes. But she would have a ton of momentum.

grossbus
05-26-2015, 05:43 PM
Lisa into extra holes. Huge.

75Crazie
05-26-2015, 05:49 PM
I am finding this just about as excruciating as a basketball or lacrosse final four.

grossbus
05-26-2015, 05:51 PM
Boutier wins 3and2

We need one of the twins to win.

burnspbesq
05-26-2015, 05:51 PM
Boutier wins, 3 and 2. Duke is up 2-0.

burnspbesq
05-26-2015, 05:55 PM
Singh loses, 2 and 1. Duke's lead cut to 2-1.

duke79
05-26-2015, 05:58 PM
I am finding this just about as excruciating as a basketball or lacrosse final four.

Me too !! Who knew there could be such drama in women's golf?

grossbus
05-26-2015, 06:02 PM
Leona's body language has not been good the entire back 9. Down one going to 18.

chrishoke
05-26-2015, 06:04 PM
Leona goes down 1 with 1 to go.

burnspbesq
05-26-2015, 06:11 PM
Excellent drive by Leona on 18. Lisa came within a foot of winning on the second extra hole.

grossbus
05-26-2015, 06:14 PM
Leona short with another iron. Has done this a bunch.

Up to Lisa now, who needs to stiff her second on 12.

burnspbesq
05-26-2015, 06:15 PM
Leona left her birdie putt hanging on the edge on 18. Team score is now 2-2.

BigWayne
05-26-2015, 06:19 PM
As I am watching the end of this, I am wondering what the deal is on coaching. Lisa McGuire seems to be out there all by herself while her opponent has a coach talking her through every shot. Is this just a personal choice?

burnspbesq
05-26-2015, 06:22 PM
Lisa has a birdie putt to win.

grossbus
05-26-2015, 06:22 PM
Lisa with a putt to win

13 feet?

grossbus
05-26-2015, 06:23 PM
Kisses the cup. Dang

InSpades
05-26-2015, 06:27 PM
Really wish I had the golf channel... Best of luck Lisa!

BD80
05-26-2015, 06:30 PM
Really wish I had the golf channel... Best of luck Lisa!

I'm almost regretting my decision to turn it on

chrishoke
05-26-2015, 06:30 PM
Such pressure.

burnspbesq
05-26-2015, 06:32 PM
Whyte's second shot at 13 finds a bunker, 65 yards from the hole. Lisa 12 feet to the right of the hole, lying 3.

75Crazie
05-26-2015, 06:37 PM
Advantage Lisa, with 15 foot birdie putt; Whyte off the green in reg with a tough chip.

grossbus
05-26-2015, 06:38 PM
Lisa on the green in 3, opponent goes long out of the sand and is well off the green in 3.

arnie
05-26-2015, 06:39 PM
Advantage Lisa, with 15 foot birdie putt; Whyte off the green in reg with a tough chip.

This is fun to watch. We have big advantage now.

burnspbesq
05-26-2015, 06:39 PM
Whyte's third goes through the green and down the slope to the left. She will get a drop, I think, because her ball came to rest on a metal drain.

Lisa in control.

grossbus
05-26-2015, 06:42 PM
Whyte has make able par putt. Lisa must make. Doesn't.

DukieInKansas
05-26-2015, 06:44 PM
Lot's of pressure on Lisa. She's a freshman, right?

arnie
Whyte has make able par putt. Lisa must make. Doesn't.

On to next hole

burnspbesq
This. Is. Brutal.

75Crazie
05-26-2015, 06:45 PM
Wow. Lisa with a clutch putt, after her birdie try went well past and Whyte had a good up-and-down. I can't stand it.

BD80
05-26-2015, 06:46 PM
This is fun to watch. We have big advantage now.

Grrrrr. You are banned from posting until the match is over

grossbus
05-26-2015, 06:50 PM
Yes, you have angered the golf gods.

Lisa left, trickles into bunker, short sided. Whyte on green.

burnspbesq
05-26-2015, 06:51 PM
Lisa has a very difficult up-and-down from the left bunker. Missed her target by a foot and rolled the wrong way.

ETA: WOO!

BigWayne
05-26-2015, 06:55 PM
Nice save from the sand. On to the 24th hole.

75Crazie
05-26-2015, 06:56 PM
Both players are making clutch recovery shots. It has to be a fun match for a neutral person to watch.

At what point will carrying her bag become a negative for Lisa? She has played a lot of holes today.

grossbus
05-26-2015, 06:58 PM
Good that the rainy season has not started down here yet. Lisa is in the hazard, but dry.

Let me tell you, carrying down here is tough.

Coach should have had carts for all of them.

chrishoke
05-26-2015, 06:59 PM
Lisa has an impossible shot coming up here.

burnspbesq
05-26-2015, 07:05 PM
Stanford beats USC in the other semifinal.

grossbus
05-26-2015, 07:10 PM
Lisa had her chances early in the extra holes. Mistakes on the last two holes are probably going to be too much to overcome.

A young team. Bodes well for the future.

burnspbesq
05-26-2015, 07:13 PM
Rats.

killerleft
05-26-2015, 08:14 PM
Well, Lisa was in the hazard on the last hole. But she lucked out with what looked like a fine lie. I was a bit dumbfounded when it was decided Lisa would lay up. I wish Dan Brooks had involved himself in the decision.

rsvman
05-26-2015, 10:21 PM
I agree with the earlier poster who said that all the players should use push carts. I don't know if it had anything to do with this loss, but I do think it could lead to a competitive disadvantage at some juncture.
Ultimately, the whole tournament came down to a few missed putts that should've gone in. I still can't believe that Leona's putt on the final hole didn't go another eighth of an inch and drop in.
Such is the game of golf.....sigh

DukieInKansas
05-27-2015, 10:09 AM
Rats.

What he said!

Congratulations, Blue Devils, on making it as far as you did. It might not have been the ending that was desired but you still represented the university well.

DukieInKansas
05-27-2015, 10:11 AM
Congratulations to Leona Maguire on winning the ANNIKA Award - National Player of the Year.

sagegrouse
05-27-2015, 11:54 AM
I agree with the earlier poster who said that all the players should use push carts. I don't know if it had anything to do with this loss, but I do think it could lead to a competitive disadvantage at some juncture.
Ultimately, the whole tournament came down to a few missed putts that should've gone in. I still can't believe that Leona's putt on the final hole didn't go another eighth of an inch and drop in.
Such is the game of golf.....sigh

One of the Duke players used a pushcart -- Celine?

I thought our team of slight misses weakened over the second 18 yesterday. The Baylor players were a bit sturdier, which may have helped the Bears.

I give Lisa Maguire a shout-out. She is really struggling with her game, due to swing changes the coaches advised. She went into 17 down two and proceeded to par 17 and 18, while her opponent fell apart. and then the first four playoff holes. Considering she had been shooting in the 80's -- averaging 85 for the four medal rounds -- that was a really good performance. Credit to Lauren Whyte of Baylor for a hugely difficult up-and-down on the fourth playoff hole to prolong the match and eventually win.

MCFinARL
05-27-2015, 12:15 PM
One of the Duke players used a pushcart -- Celine?

I thought our team of slight misses weakened over the second 18 yesterday. The Baylor players were a bit sturdier, which may have helped the Bears.

I give Lisa Maguire a shout-out. She is really struggling with her game, due to swing changes the coaches advised. She went into 17 down two and proceeded to par 17 and 18, while her opponent fell apart. and then the first four playoff holes. Considering she had been shooting in the 80's -- averaging 85 for the four medal rounds -- that was a really good performance. Credit to Lauren Whyte of Baylor for a hugely difficult up-and-down on the fourth playoff hole to prolong the match and eventually win.

Agree with this. I was very impressed with the the way Lisa Maguire played down the stretch.

Hard to know for sure, but it's reasonable to assume Baylor was playing with a lot less pressure--they came in ranked 18th and had so far exceeded expectations to get to the match rounds that they were playing with house money.

rsvman
05-27-2015, 05:33 PM
Baylor still playing with house money and winning. Lot of golf left to play, but this team looks much stronger than advertised.

MCFinARL
05-27-2015, 06:29 PM
Baylor still playing with house money and winning. Lot of golf left to play, but this team looks much stronger than advertised.

Yes, they have been playing some excellent golf, and a couple of them--most notably Dylan Kim, who edged Leona Maguire yesterday and is currently 2 up with 2 to play in her finals match--appear to be unflappable.

rsvman
05-27-2015, 08:19 PM
As I don't believe in jinxes, I'll just say that I spoke too soon. The Baylor player was 2 up with 2 to play, only to watch the Stanford competitor birdie both of the last two holes to square the match and send it to extra holes.
On the first extra hole, the unfortunate Baylor player missed a 3-foot putt and Stanford won the championship.

MCFinARL
05-27-2015, 08:54 PM
As I don't believe in jinxes, I'll just say that I spoke too soon. The Baylor player was 2 up with 2 to play, only to watch the Stanford competitor birdie both of the last two holes to square the match and send it to extra holes.
On the first extra hole, the unfortunate Baylor player missed a 3-foot putt and Stanford won the championship.

Ouch!

sagegrouse
06-13-2015, 08:39 AM
Celine, who is from France and finished her second year as a Blue Devil, plays Linnea Strom of Sweden this afternoon -- probably about now. The Ladies' British Open Amateur Championship (http://www.lgu.org/EZ/lgu/lgu/Championship_Details.php?PHPSESSID=b8giufg3cmjh94l 5276le2hlo1&CShip=182&CPage=intro) is being played on the Portstewart Course at Londonderry, Northern Ireland. Eighteen year-old Strom plays to a +4.9 handicap, so it looks like a tough match for Celine.

Duke's #1 player, Leona Maguire, the pre-tournament favorite, lost in the round of 16. Leona was below par and all-even after 14, when her Aussie opponent went birdie, birdie, eagle -- ouch.

Go Celine! Go Duke!
Sage
'How is it that the tournament is both "amateur" and "open."

SoCalDukeFan
06-13-2015, 01:01 PM
Ladies British Open Amateur Championship - final match 4 -3. She qualifies for the RICOH Womens' British Open, the U.S. Womens' Open and the Evian Championships.

Link (http://www.lgu.org/EZ/lgu/lgu/Championship_Details.php?PHPSESSID=pe0f0cttkdfjksa 3fr8ht72s65&art=950&CShip=182&CPage=news)

SoCal

roywhite
06-13-2015, 02:37 PM
Celine, who is from France and finished her second year as a Blue Devil, plays Linnea Strom of Sweden this afternoon -- probably about now. The Ladies' British Open Amateur Championship (http://www.lgu.org/EZ/lgu/lgu/Championship_Details.php?PHPSESSID=b8giufg3cmjh94l 5276le2hlo1&CShip=182&CPage=intro) is being played on the Portstewart Course at Londonderry, Northern Ireland. Eighteen year-old Strom plays to a +4.9 handicap, so it looks like a tough match for Celine.

Duke's #1 player, Leona Maguire, the pre-tournament favorite, lost in the round of 16. Leona was below par and all-even after 14, when her Aussie opponent went birdie, birdie, eagle -- ouch.

Go Celine! Go Duke!
Sage
'How is it that the tournament is both "amateur" and "open."

What are the chances that Celine and/or Leona turn pro soon?

grossbus
06-13-2015, 02:50 PM
Way to go Celine!!