PDA

View Full Version : Brad Stevens

nmduke2001
05-21-2015, 09:51 AM
Mods, not sure where to put this but I found it pretty interesting.

Brad Stevens was on Mike and Mike this morning. Stevens was asked if he had ever been on Letterman. Stevens said that he had been on the day after the Duke Championship game. He explained that we was not originally scheduled but they called him at 5:30 am the morning after the game. He said that he got home from the game around 3:30 am (remember Butler was a few miles from Lucas Oil). He had just gone to bed right before they called because once he got home he rewatched the championship game. Holy cow! Four hours after losing a National Championship by about half an inch, he decided to come home and watch the game again. That's fascinating to me. I can't imagine many coaches or players willing to do that.

moonpie23
05-21-2015, 10:28 AM
he was such an excellent guest.......man, i like that guy...

CDu
05-21-2015, 10:31 AM
I agree that it seems crazy to re-watch the game. But I think it is actually fairly common among coaches to re-watch the game later that night (even the championship game) win or lose. These guys are almost all pretty crazy.

That said, I do like Stevens. Seems like a good dude. Crazy that he is only 2 years older than us, nmduke2001!

flyingdutchdevil
05-21-2015, 12:58 PM
I agree that it seems crazy to re-watch the game. But I think it is actually fairly common among coaches to re-watch the game later that night (even the championship game) win or lose. These guys are almost all pretty crazy.

That said, I do like Stevens. Seems like a good dude. Crazy that he is only 2 years older than us, nmduke2001!

Happy he's my NBA coach. Now, hopefully Ainge can bring in some stars. If Boston gets 1 star through a trade and convinces a superstar to join, we're in business. But first you need to ask players to join a team whose best current player is a 5'8" sixth man. Not ideal...

CDu
05-21-2015, 01:21 PM
Happy he's my NBA coach. Now, hopefully Ainge can bring in some stars. If Boston gets 1 star through a trade and convinces a superstar to join, we're in business. But first you need to ask players to join a team whose best current player is a 5'8" sixth man. Not ideal...

Yeah, ironically, Boston making the playoffs this year may have worked against them a bit. They clearly don't have the talent right now to threaten in the playoffs. This was a group that overachieved to get to the playoffs in a shallow Eastern Conference and got run over by the Cavs in the first round. Being in the lottery this year may have been preferable to making the back end of the playoffs.

I agree that it is going to be hard to draw a star to Boston via free agency right now. But you do have a TON of draft picks to work with though: 2 firsts this year and potentially 4 firsts next year. Maybe they can consolidate that into a star or two somehow. If you can do that, then adding a second/third star gets much more palatable.

Channing
05-21-2015, 01:42 PM
I enjoyed the brief discussion about the 2010 title game. Coach K has received a lot of criticism (including from Mike Greenberg) about having Zoubek miss the second free throw which led to the potentially winning shot. Brad Stevens said that if had his way he would have rather been taking the ball in bounds after a make to try and get up a tying shot than having to get the rebound and go. He said in that case the ball happened to bounce so that they could immediately get it to Hayward, and Howard was in position to get him open, but that was a fortuitous bounce.

blazindw
05-21-2015, 01:50 PM
I watched this year's title game twice after it was over (and after going out to celebrate). I then watched it again after waking up after a couple hours. So, it's not surprising to me that Brad Stevens watched the 2010 game once afterwards.

CDu
05-21-2015, 03:58 PM
I enjoyed the brief discussion about the 2010 title game. Coach K has received a lot of criticism (including from Mike Greenberg) about having Zoubek miss the second free throw which led to the potentially winning shot. Brad Stevens said that if had his way he would have rather been taking the ball in bounds after a make to try and get up a tying shot than having to get the rebound and go. He said in that case the ball happened to bounce so that they could immediately get it to Hayward, and Howard was in position to get him open, but that was a fortuitous bounce.

Yeah, I think that is spot-on. The miss was such a clean miss, and happened to bounce right to Hayward (the guy that Stevens wanted to get the ball) in such a way that he got a head of steam going.

Even still, it is worth noting that he didn't get to start his move nearly as close to the basket as he might have on a designed in-bounds play. And he had to start from a rebound and head to the side line rather than starting that way. Presumably he would have gotten as much as a 15-20 foot head start on an out of bounds play, which would have gotten him across half-court (perhaps well-across) for the final shot. So even in the near-worst-case scenario that played out, it still wasn't as clean a look as if it had been an out-of-bounds play.

There is also the argument that a made 3 from Butler wins the game if we miss that free throw compared to just tying if we don't. That wasn't discussed (the focus was entirely on the value of getting a better look). Apparently Coach K said afterward that he was not going to take a chance at overtime; he wanted the game to end right then. Seems strange to commit to that given that we had the lead, but that was apparently the decision.

All of that said, I think I might have put Smith or Scheyer in rebounding position (just inside of Hayward), just to make the rebound a little more less easy. Force one of the bigs to get the rebound and force him to have to get the ball to a shooter. I realize that introduces the risk of a loose ball foul, but I think such a call would be HIGHLY unlikely (given that they didn't call the moving screen on Howard seconds later).

And all of that said, we're talking about an incredibly low percentage chance of a make there. So it's kind of arguing on the margins. With the help of a perfect bounce and an uncalled illegal screen, it was still a ~50 foot shot at the buzzer. Hayward almost made it, but frankly I'll take my chances of that shot not going in 19 times out of 20 (if not more).

-jk
05-21-2015, 05:17 PM
Yeah, I think that is spot-on. The miss was such a clean miss, and happened to bounce right to Hayward (the guy that Stevens wanted to get the ball) in such a way that he got a head of steam going.

Even still, it is worth noting that he didn't get to start his move nearly as close to the basket as he might have on a designed in-bounds play. And he had to start from a rebound and head to the side line rather than starting that way. Presumably he would have gotten as much as a 15-20 foot head start on an out of bounds play, which would have gotten him across half-court (perhaps well-across) for the final shot. So even in the near-worst-case scenario that played out, it still wasn't as clean a look as if it had been an out-of-bounds play.

There is also the argument that a made 3 from Butler wins the game if we miss that free throw compared to just tying if we don't. That wasn't discussed (the focus was entirely on the value of getting a better look). Apparently Coach K said afterward that he was not going to take a chance at overtime; he wanted the game to end right then. Seems strange to commit to that given that we had the lead, but that was apparently the decision.

All of that said, I think I might have put Smith or Scheyer in rebounding position (just inside of Hayward), just to make the rebound a little more less easy. Force one of the bigs to get the rebound and force him to have to get the ball to a shooter. I realize that introduces the risk of a loose ball foul, but I think such a call would be HIGHLY unlikely (given that they didn't call the moving screen on Howard seconds later).

And all of that said, we're talking about an incredibly low percentage chance of a make there. So it's kind of arguing on the margins. With the help of a perfect bounce and an uncalled illegal screen, it was still a ~50 foot shot at the buzzer. Hayward almost made it, but frankly I'll take my chances of that shot not going in 19 times out of 20 (if not more).

The emotion in the stadium was all for Butler. We were tired. OT would have been very tough to win out.

-jk

Tom B.
05-21-2015, 05:48 PM
The emotion in the stadium was all for Butler. We were tired. OT would have been very tough to win out.

Yeah, K has gone on record as saying that he thought we were gassed and wouldn't survive overtime, so he'd rather Butler have a low-percentage shot at a win than a somewhat higher-percentage shot at a tie.

There was a moment with about 1:20 left when we had the ball up by three, 60-57. Nolan came off a screen, caught a pass, curled into the lane, and slashed to the basket. It looked like a sure layup, which would've put us ahead by five and brought us very close to icing the game. But Nolan's finger roll came up just short and the ball trickled off the rim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SB00wfyuQjY#t=43

With legs a bit fresher, Nolan probably delivers that ball to the hoop and scores. But when he left it barely short, that may have been the moment that confirmed for K that we were running close to empty -- and if we were going to win, it had to be in regulation.

devildeac
05-21-2015, 06:32 PM

Agree with this and the couple other comments from -jk and Tom B. I also remember K saying he didn't like the way the game was being "administrated" (cough, cough-Prime Time teddy was one of the refs), LT and Z already had 4 PF each and K probably figured/knew we were gassed and wouldn't survive physically/mentally in OT. Good call;).

hurleyfor3
05-21-2015, 06:56 PM

And Zoubek had four fouls.

cato
05-21-2015, 07:56 PM
And Zoubek had four fouls.

The more we rehash this stuff, the more I'm convinced we just aren't going to pull this one out.

NSDukeFan
05-21-2015, 08:24 PM
The more we rehash this stuff, the more I'm convinced we just aren't going to pull this one out.

If we keep playing hard, I think we still have a shot. This is a tough team to beat when it has the lead. Pretty good coaching staff too.

jmck214
05-21-2015, 09:26 PM
Yeah, K has gone on record as saying that he thought we were gassed and wouldn't survive overtime, so he'd rather Butler have a low-percentage shot at a win than a somewhat higher-percentage shot at a tie.

There was a moment with about 1:20 left when we had the ball up by three, 60-57. Nolan came off a screen, caught a pass, curled into the lane, and slashed to the basket. It looked like a sure layup, which would've put us ahead by five and brought us very close to icing the game. But Nolan's finger roll came up just short and the ball trickled off the rim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SB00wfyuQjY#t=43

With legs a bit fresher, Nolan probably delivers that ball to the hoop and scores. But when he left it barely short, that may have been the moment that confirmed for K that we were running close to empty -- and if we were going to win, it had to be in regulation.

I also remember Singler throwing up an airball coming off a screen late in the game so K was probably right About being too gassed and if you add in the home court underdog aspect you can easily see why he didn't think we would win in overtime.

I am also a celtics fan so I really like Stevens. They won half their games this year because they simply played harder than the opposition. Probably is in the playoffs you don't have that luxury since you are getting everybody's best shot

tfk53
05-21-2015, 10:35 PM
Had to good fortune to be traveling during the morning instead of in the office so got to hear a lot of Brad Stevens on Mike and Mike today.
Enjoyed his comment when asked if he thinks about the 2010 NC game when he responded "just every day".
He is extremely articulate and thoughtful - does not appear to have a huge ego.
He covered many topics and touched both college and pro ball - he said it was tougher recruiting than deciding which player to draft. Also, how much he enjoyed being able to concentrate on basketball as opposed to college with recruiting taking so much energy.
He lavished much praise on LeBron - particularly pointing out how intellectually and emotionally strong he felt LBJ is.
If you did not hear him on the show, it would be worthwhile pulling off today's show from the Mike and Mike archives.

OldPhiKap
05-21-2015, 10:53 PM
Had to good fortune to be traveling during the morning instead of in the office so got to hear a lot of Brad Stevens on Mike and Mike today.
Enjoyed his comment when asked if he thinks about the 2010 NC game when he responded "just every day".
He covered many topics and touched both college and pro ball - he said it was tougher recruiting than deciding which player to draft. Also, how much he enjoyed being able to concentrate on basketball as opposed to college with recruiting taking so much energy.
He lavished much praise on LeBron - particularly pointing out how intellectually and emotionally strong he felt LBJ is.
If you did not hear him on the show, it would be worthwhile pulling off today's show from the Mike and Mike archives.

When K hangs up the USA Coach gig, I would love to see Brad get it.

53n206
05-21-2015, 11:21 PM
Been said before, will repeat. Want him at Duke after K retires.

gam7
05-21-2015, 11:51 PM
Been said before, will repeat. Want him at Duke after K retires.

And... there it is. 13 hours, 30 minutes after thread inception. Good restraint, DBR; I would've taken the under.

sagegrouse
05-22-2015, 09:26 AM

Doug Sanders, who missed a three-foot putt on 18 that caused him to lose the British Open to Nicklaus, was asked, "Do you still think about that putt." Sanders replied, "Not very often -- only about every ten minutes now."

Troublemaker
05-22-2015, 09:29 AM
link for those that want to listen: http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=12925996

nmduke2001
05-22-2015, 09:54 AM

I think the championship game is different. You're not preparing for another game in two nights. The season is over. During the season, sure, most of these guys will watch the game again quickly, but not their last game of the year.

I watched this year's title game twice after it was over (and after going out to celebrate). I then watched it again after waking up after a couple hours. So, it's not surprising to me that Brad Stevens watched the 2010 game once afterwards.

But we won. Were you a Duke fan in 1999? Did you watch that game again the same night? I've only seen that game once since and hated every moment of it because I knew how it was going to end. JJ's last game, Duhon's last game, I never watched again.

When Tark the Shark died recently, ESPN played a bunch of tributes. On one, they asked if he had ever watched the 1991 loss to Duke. He said that he had only watched it decades later, It was too hard for him to watch until then. I think that is more common for coaches with an end of the season loss than what Brad Stevens did.

UrinalCake
05-22-2015, 10:24 AM
I've never watched a replay of the 1999 loss. Too painful. Even now, 16 years and three titles later, that loss still hurts more than any other.

Tom B.
05-22-2015, 10:39 AM
I also remember Singler throwing up an airball coming off a screen late in the game....

You mean this play?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SB00wfyuQjY#t=139

That was the play that gave Butler the ball back, down by one (60-59), with a chance to take the lead. I'd forgotten about that one, but you're right -- that's another good example of how we were running on fumes down the stretch.

Watching Butler's final sequence with the ball, I'm reminded of how crucial Zoubek's defense was at the end. On Butler's last possession, Zoubek: (1) not once, but twice, hedged on screens set by Howard on the perimeter, which prevented Nored and Mack from getting loose to penetrate, then recovered with perfect timing to prevent the dump-off pass to the rolling Howard; (2) got his hand in the passing lane and deflected a pass by Mack out of bounds, after Mack had beaten Thomas off the dribble; (3) defended the inbounds triggerman (Hayward) so well that Butler had to burn a timeout -- its final timeout, which is why Butler had no timeouts remaining after; (4) Zoubek rolled down to help defend Hayward, got his hand in Hayward's face, forced a miss shot, then rebounded the miss with 3.6 seconds left.

Richard Berg
05-22-2015, 11:07 AM
Yup, Zoubek is the clear MVP of the last 90 seconds.

Edouble
05-22-2015, 11:07 AM
I've never watched a replay of the 1999 loss. Too painful. Even now, 16 years and three titles later, that loss still hurts more than any other.

Yeah, I will never watch that game. It might unearth some strong emotions and feelings that I would rather stay buried. With each successive championship, it hurts a bit less... but it was still the Duke team that I have been most connected to, being that it was my senior year team.

TruBlu
05-22-2015, 11:09 AM

Brad Stevens was on Mike and Mike this morning. Stevens was asked if he had ever been on Letterman. Stevens said that he had been on the day after the Duke Championship game. He explained that we was not originally scheduled but they called him at 5:30 am the morning after the game. He said that he got home from the game around 3:30 am (remember Butler was a few miles from Lucas Oil). He had just gone to bed right before they called because once he got home he rewatched the championship game. Holy cow! Four hours after losing a National Championship by about half an inch, he decided to come home and watch the game again. That's fascinating to me. I can't imagine many coaches or players willing to do that.

Possibly, he is like us Duke fans, and believes that shot is going to go in every time we rewatch it. He was probably rewatching the game about the same time that I was, after getting home from the game. My heart stops for about 10 seconds every time I watch it.

wsb3
05-24-2015, 10:54 AM
Agreed. Even worse for me is the 86 NC. Too painful...

moonpie23
05-24-2015, 11:55 AM
i won't even watch clips from 99........to painful...

Des Esseintes
05-24-2015, 12:19 PM
You mean this play?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SB00wfyuQjY#t=139

That was the play that gave Butler the ball back, down by one (60-59), with a chance to take the lead. I'd forgotten about that one, but you're right -- that's another good example of how we were running on fumes down the stretch.

Watching Butler's final sequence with the ball, I'm reminded of how crucial Zoubek's defense was at the end. On Butler's last possession, Zoubek: (1) not once, but twice, hedged on screens set by Howard on the perimeter, which prevented Nored and Mack from getting loose to penetrate, then recovered with perfect timing to prevent the dump-off pass to the rolling Howard; (2) got his hand in the passing lane and deflected a pass by Mack out of bounds, after Mack had beaten Thomas off the dribble; (3) defended the inbounds triggerman (Hayward) so well that Butler had to burn a timeout -- its final timeout, which is why Butler had no timeouts remaining after; (4) Zoubek rolled down to help defend Hayward, got his hand in Hayward's face, forced a miss shot, then rebounded the miss with 3.6 seconds left.

Don't forget when Zoubek scored the first 16 points of the game off of post moves Brian himself invented. And also when he picked up Shelvin Mack by the throat at the pregame coin toss, a display of dominance that may well have provided the winning edge in what would prove to be a razor's edge contest. Or, crucially, when--and obviously Big Z doesn't get complete credit here--he and Duke assistant coach Lance Stephenson drew up the winning offensive play, which was to scream in everyone's face to RELEASE THE DANCER WITHIN.

gam7
05-24-2015, 10:38 PM
Maybe the outcome does change the more one watches it - Marv Albert just credited Shelvin Mack (during Cavs-Hawks) with missing the half court shot at the buzzer of the 2010 championship game (and as I type this, he just corrected himself). Not sure how he could get something like that so wrong.

miramar
05-25-2015, 08:56 AM
I also remember Singler throwing up an airball coming off a screen late in the game so K was probably right About being too gassed and if you add in the home court underdog aspect you can easily see why he didn't think we would win in overtime.

I am also a celtics fan so I really like Stevens. They won half their games this year because they simply played harder than the opposition. Probably is in the playoffs you don't have that luxury since you are getting everybody's best shot

I still have the game recorded and I watched the second half recently. Coach K was right, as usual. I don't think Duke had the legs for another five minutes.

Edouble
05-26-2015, 10:15 PM
Maybe the outcome does change the more one watches it - Marv Albert just credited Shelvin Mack (during Cavs-Hawks) with missing the half court shot at the buzzer of the 2010 championship game (and as I type this, he just corrected himself). Not sure how he could get something like that so wrong.

I heard that too. Man, that was strange. It's not like Shelvin Mack was the star of the team and some other obscure player took that shot. It was Hayward's team and Hayward took the shot. Pretty easy to remember.

gam7
05-26-2015, 11:08 PM
I heard that too. Man, that was strange. It's not like Shelvin Mack was the star of the team and some other obscure player took that shot. It was Hayward's team and Hayward took the shot. Pretty easy to remember.

Right - it would be like saying that Ray Jackson called the timeout that Michigan didn't have in the 1993 final. And it's not like Hayward was playing in the game, in which case, you could understand if he just mixed up his pre-game notes in his head between Mack and Hayward.

I give announcers a ton of leeway - they have voices constantly in their ears, may be trying to keep score to some extent themselves, and are trying to stay on target with what's on the video feed/on-screen graphics, so they usually have a lot going on. But he didn't seem to misspeak in this case. He was very deliberate and Marv-esque in delivering that piece of information. And he didn't correct himself until after the commercial break, during which the producer or director probably told him he got it wrong. It was really an embarrassing mistake. I don't think I am overstating it by saying that it was one of the most iconic moments in recent college basketball history. Come on, Marv.

NSDukeFan
05-27-2015, 05:30 AM
Right - it would be like saying that Ray Jackson called the timeout that Michigan didn't have in the 1993 final. And it's not like Hayward was playing in the game, in which case, you could understand if he just mixed up his pre-game notes in his head between Mack and Hayward.

I give announcers a ton of leeway - they have voices constantly in their ears, may be trying to keep score to some extent themselves, and are trying to stay on target with what's on the video feed/on-screen graphics, so they usually have a lot going on. But he didn't seem to misspeak in this case. He was very deliberate and Marv-esque in delivering that piece of information. And he didn't correct himself until after the commercial break, during which the producer or director probably told him he got it wrong. It was really an embarrassing mistake. I don't think I am overstating it by saying that it was one of the most iconic moments in recent college basketball history. Come on, Marv.

It kind of reminds me of when Brian Davis made the 3/4 court pass to Danny Ferry for the turnaround jumper to beat UK in the Regional Finals in one of the greatest games in college basketball history.

gam7
05-27-2015, 11:24 AM
It kind of reminds me of when Brian Davis made the 3/4 court pass to Danny Ferry for the turnaround jumper to beat UK in the Regional Finals in one of the greatest games in college basketball history.

Yeah, and that play was made all the more special by Ian Eagle's classic call.

hurleyfor3
05-27-2015, 12:55 PM
Maybe the outcome does change the more one watches it

Of course it does; it's a law of physics.

Billy Dat
05-27-2015, 04:16 PM
Don't forget when Zoubek scored the first 16 points of the game off of post moves Brian himself invented. And also when he picked up Shelvin Mack by the throat at the pregame coin toss, a display of dominance that may well have provided the winning edge in what would prove to be a razor's edge contest. Or, crucially, when--and obviously Big Z doesn't get complete credit here--he and Duke assistant coach Lance Stephenson drew up the winning offensive play, which was to scream in everyone's face to RELEASE THE DANCER WITHIN.

None of those moves being possible had Z not been a dedicated student of the Feldenkrais Method.

NSDukeFan
05-27-2015, 05:35 PM
None of those moves being possible had Z not been a dedicated student of the Feldenkrais Method.

No offense to Des Esseintes, but I knew it wasn't really greybeard when there wasn't a single foot reference in the post.

Des Esseintes
05-27-2015, 05:44 PM
No offense to Des Esseintes, but I knew it wasn't really greybeard when there wasn't a single foot reference in the post.
I realized afterward that I'd neglected my speling, too.

CDu
05-27-2015, 07:18 PM

I realized afterward that I'd neglected my speling, too.

Also, it wasn't nearly a long enough post. I kid, I kid!

Speaking of greybeard, wonder what has become of him. By his name, I assume he is an elder. Hopefully still with us (I don't know that he is THAT elder)?

OldPhiKap
05-28-2015, 12:17 AM
Of course it does; it's a law of physics.

Heisenberg has something to do with it.

The theoretical physicist, not the blue meth guy of course.

DevilWearsPrada
05-28-2015, 10:37 AM

I remember seeing Coach Stevens on the Late Show with David Letterman, and he was absolutely great! Coach Stevens is a class act and a great coach. I was in Indy 2010 for the Final 4, and everyone was pulling for the Butler Bulldogs, minus the 7000 Duke fans. Butler University is just a few minutes away from Lucas Oil Stadium.