PDA

View Full Version : Stadium Construction Update

DU82
05-17-2015, 03:31 PM
Went by West Campus this morning to check out the progress of the stadium construction. I'll post pictures in messages following this one.

There're fences everywhere, although still allowing access to Cameron, the Murray Building and the WW concourse. No work has started on the Scott Pavilion.

The front overhang of Cameron has been taken down. I assume they saved the stone to use on the new front. Not much else has been done other than clearing the landscaping in the island in front (the bust of Eddie Cameron has been moved for safe-keeping. Same for Wallace Wade and hopefully the rose bushes.)

Over at Wallace Wade, nothing's been done at the East gate, or the concourse. I'm guessing that they'll wait until after the coming season to do that side. On the west side, about 12 rows of seats have been removed to provide room for the new tower and club seats to build. Not much there other than the columns are up, yet. At the north gate (closest to Cameron) the entrance has been almost completely removed. No concourse work has been started yet (the concourse there will be lowered so that it's level with the top of the stadium seating.)

On the field, the new walls (other than the new field elevator) have been completed, and the Duke stone added. (It looks great!) The concrete for the seating rows has been finished on the west and north sides, still a work in progress on the east. Looks to be 7 regular rows of seating east and west plus the ADA seating in front, and ten in the north end zone.

The field has been made level on the north half, with a concrete curb installed (to separate the grass field from the field turf sidelines.) Still work to do on the south side as well on the elevator and the scoreboard.

We will be walking through numerous construction zones next season, both at WW and Cameron. The Iron Dukes warned us about that when they sent out emails about football parking, particularly for the Grounds lot. Speaking of parking, the 751 lot is still mostly site prep, so it's a while away (2016, I believe.)

DU82
05-17-2015, 03:33 PM
Front of Cameron:

DU82
05-17-2015, 03:34 PM
North Entrance:

DU82
05-17-2015, 03:35 PM
Scoreboard:

DU82
05-17-2015, 03:38 PM
West Side - Tower:

DU82
05-17-2015, 03:39 PM
Field:

moonpie23
05-17-2015, 04:09 PM
sweet

dukelifer
05-17-2015, 04:23 PM
Went by West Campus this morning to check out the progress of the stadium construction. I'll post pictures in messages following this one.

There's fences everywhere, although still allowing access to Cameron, the Murray Building and the WW concourse. No work has started on the Scott Pavilion.

The front overhang of Cameron has been taken down. I assume they saved the stone to use on the new front. Not much else has been done other than clearing the landscaping in the island in front (the bust of Eddie Cameron has been moved for safe-keeping. Same for Wallace Wade and hopefully the rose bushes.)

Over at Wallace Wade, nothing's been done at the East gate, or the concourse. I'm guessing that they'll wait until after the coming season to do that side. On the west side, about 12 rows of seats have been removed to provide room for the new tower and club seats to build. Not much there other than the columns are up, yet. At the north gate (closest to Cameron) the entrance has been almost completely removed. No concourse work has been started yet (the concourse there will be lowered so that it's level with the top of the stadium seating.)

On the field, the new walls (other than the new field elevator) have been completed, and the Duke stone added. (It looks great!) The concrete for the seating rows has been finished on the west and north sides, still a work in progress on the east. Looks to be 7 regular rows of seating east and west plus the ADA seating in front, and ten in the north end zone.

The field has been made level on the north half, with a concrete curb installed (to separate the grass field from the field turf sidelines.) Still work to do on the south side as well on the elevator and the scoreboard.

We will be walking through numerous construction zones next season, both at WW and Cameron. The Iron Dukes warned us about that when they sent out emails about football parking, particularly for the Grounds lot. Speaking of parking, the 751 lot is still mostly site prep, so it's a while away (2016, I believe.)

Cameron, the Chapel, the Union, the Library, Page and Wallace Wade are all under construction. Those are major parts of the campus.

OldPhiKap
05-17-2015, 04:50 PM
Field:

Thanks DU82! This is my favorite. Cannot wait for kick-off!

(Tried to send Sporkz for these but was told that I must increase the promiscuity of my approval apparently)

dpslaw
05-17-2015, 05:02 PM
Cameron, the Chapel, the Union, the Library, Page and Wallace Wade are all under construction. Those are major parts of the campus.

Page is very close to completion, and the library should be finished this summer. The Union is scheduled to re-open early next year, so there is light at the end of the tunnel!

devildeac
05-17-2015, 05:31 PM
Thanks DU82! This is my favorite. Cannot wait for kick-off!

(Tried to send Sporkz for these but was told that I must increase the promiscuity of my approval apparently)

I tried too but received a similar promiscuity message (too much sporking activity in the last 24 hours:o). DU82 will just have to settle for a simple thank you very much for taking the time and effort to post all that stuff. Can't wait until the 1st home game!

dukelifer
05-17-2015, 05:50 PM
Page is very close to completion, and the library should be finished this summer. The Union is scheduled to re-open early next year, so there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Union will only be partially open next year but in its wake will be more cranes to construct the new Physics/Engineering bldg on Science drive.

Bob Green
05-17-2015, 06:51 PM

Thanks for the update and pictures! All the construction is going to cause short term pain but the long term gain is going to be nice.

duke blue brewcrew
05-18-2015, 12:21 AM
Awesome updates, thanks for sharing! Can't wait to see how things are coming along this season in person! (I'm in Atlanta)

jv001
05-18-2015, 08:22 AM
I tried too but received a similar promiscuity message (too much sporking activity in the last 24 hours:o). DU82 will just have to settle for a simple thank you very much for taking the time and effort to post all that stuff. Can't wait until the 1st home game!

I took care of one spork for you or OPK. Can't wait to see the finished work to the already beautiful venues. GoDuke!

Reilly
05-18-2015, 08:34 AM
I took care of one spork for you ... !

How very Carolina of you to do devildeac's work for him. Or maybe the true Carolina way would involve sporks appearing with nobody having had to click anything?

OldPhiKap
05-18-2015, 09:08 AM
I took care of one spork for you or OPK. Can't wait to see the finished work to the already beautiful venues. GoDuke!

How very Carolina of you to do devildeac's work for him. Or maybe the true Carolina way would involve sporks appearing with nobody having had to click anything?

Pointing to the assist is the only thing I liked about Dean. And true to form, I doubt he was the first to institute it.

4Gen
05-18-2015, 09:38 AM
I thought much of the hue and cry about the track is that it caused seating to be too far from the field. What am I missing here?

DukieInKansas
05-18-2015, 09:49 AM

I sporked for the other one. You may now call me Tutor DinK since I did the work for one of them. :D

Reilly
05-18-2015, 09:00 PM
I took care of one spork for you ...

How very Carolina of you to do devildeac's work for him ...

I ... You may now call me Tutor DinK since I did the work for one of them ...

devildeac just did his own work and gave me a spork. Now I'm confused -- does this mean Tyler Hansbrough *can* speak Swahili?

devildeac
05-18-2015, 10:15 PM
devildeac just did his own work and gave me a spork. Now I'm confused -- does this mean Tyler Hansbrough *can* speak Swahili?

And it was an upper level spork, too:o.

DU82
07-12-2015, 05:17 PM
69 days left until NC Central comes to town. Today's pictures, all from the president's box area on the east side of WW:

Steel is going up in front of Cameron for the new lobby structure. (Sorry for the far view, didn't venture around the stadium today.) Not visible in this picture, but a retaining wall is going in between the Cameron/Murray/Scott Pavilion area and the Whitfield parking lot.

More concrete for the new tower

This picture doesn't do it justice. The new scoreboard is HUGE!

The field subsurface is complete, waiting on sod, which I understand should be coming in the next couple of weeks, along with the field turf around it (where the teams will stand.)

Also, I presume this is an auxiliary board on the base of the stands, for scores and probably more ads. Didn't have an angle to see if there's one on the east side near the tunnel.

A picture of the sign visualization at the east entrance. I don't recall seeing this angle before of the ultimate finished product.

peloton
07-12-2015, 08:28 PM
69 days left until NC Central comes to town. Today's pictures, all from the president's box area on the east side of WW:...

Nice pics, DU82 - thanks. These updates with renovation pics are causing me to be more excited for the upcoming season than I've been in a long time...and that's saying something believe me. While ol' Wally Wade will still be in a state of flux this coming season, it'll be great having the new scoreboard in operation as well as the other (completed) improvements. I'm hoping that the PA/audio system is being upgraded a good bit as I found the previous one lacking but maybe that's just the audio/video geek in me. After all, the electronics and speakers are used for simply announcing a college football game and the occasional music to get both fans and team pumped up.

I'm really looking forward to having some of the fans closer to the action on the field with the track's removal. I really do believe that this is going to improve the atmosphere at our home games with our guys feeding off the increased noise level. That's my hope at least - time will tell...there are so many reasons to be excited about the future of Duke football.

moonpie23
07-12-2015, 09:20 PM
hope they have it in the budget to give all the fans some REAL decent wi-fi.....

It's important....

OZ
07-13-2015, 10:12 AM
For those who might like to take a daily peek, there are multiple live web cams on GoDuke.com. I am not particularly computer savvy but here is a link http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=209805138

There is a recent video update to the right of the first cam.

aimo
07-13-2015, 10:34 AM
All the fancy hi-tech stuff, yet they settle for those crappy hot-as-hell plastic seats. Not looking forward to the first day-game scorcher. I forget, which shows butt-sweat marks less, dark shorts or light shorts?

mattman91
07-13-2015, 10:40 AM
All the fancy hi-tech stuff, yet they settle for those crappy hot-as-hell plastic seats. Not looking forward to the first day-game scorcher. I forget, which shows butt-sweat marks less, dark shorts or light shorts?

I've heard dark shorts are best for swamp I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this..

devildeac
07-13-2015, 10:44 AM

Trade off here. I think dark shorts show sweat lines/marks worse but light shorts really advertise your ketchup/mustard/beer that dripped.:o

duke blue brewcrew
07-13-2015, 10:53 AM

As opposed to the crappier, even hotter aluminum benches they had? I've been in a lot of stadiums for a variety of sporting events. What's a better alternative than the nice Duke Blue seats that are being installed? I have never come across it, that's for sure, but would be very interested in knowing that's for sure.

Dr. Rosenrosen
07-13-2015, 10:58 AM
Trade off here. I think dark shorts show sweat lines/marks worse but light shorts really advertise your ketchup/mustard/beer that dripped.:o
A good pair of basketball style shorts takes care of swamp visibility... :cool:

airowe
07-13-2015, 11:13 AM

Those crappy hot-as-hell plastic seats are good enough for the Alabama fans in Bryant Denny Stadium, but not Duke fans in Wallace Wade. Guess Duke really has come far as a football program...

aimo
07-13-2015, 11:33 AM
As opposed to the crappier, even hotter aluminum benches they had? I've been in a lot of stadiums for a variety of sporting events. What's a better alternative than the nice Duke Blue seats that are being installed? I have never come across it, that's for sure, but would be very interested in knowing that's for sure.

We were wishing for those aluminum benches back last year. We always took our own cushions/stadium seats and it worked fine. We are a tall family, and the geniuses in charge lined the seats up directly behind each other, no staggering like in Cameron. There is actually less leg room than in Cameron, if that is possible. So, when the person seated in front of you stands, the seatback shifts backwards and crushes your knees, if you can get them wedged in there to begin with, which I cannot. And when the drunk guy sitting in the middle of the row has to get up ten times in one quarter to pee (and refuel), and EVERYONE has to stand b/c there is no room to scoot by, it eventually gets a little heated. Puts a damper on watching the game. Quite a lot of folks complained last year, but thepowersthatbe weren't interested.

aimo
07-13-2015, 11:36 AM

Guess I'll go with the light shorts, then. I'm pretty good about drippings, but there's no control over the sweat!

duke blue brewcrew
07-13-2015, 11:53 AM
We were wishing for those aluminum benches back last year. We always took our own cushions/stadium seats and it worked fine. We are a tall family, and the geniuses in charge lined the seats up directly behind each other, no staggering like in Cameron. There is actually less leg room than in Cameron, if that is possible. So, when the person seated in front of you stands, the seatback shifts backwards and crushes your knees, if you can get them wedged in there to begin with, which I cannot. And when the drunk guy sitting in the middle of the row has to get up ten times in one quarter to pee (and refuel), and EVERYONE has to stand b/c there is no room to scoot by, it eventually gets a little heated. Puts a damper on watching the game. Quite a lot of folks complained last year, but thepowersthatbe weren't interested.

Ouch, that stinks. Sorry to hear about the frustrating experience. I love the look, but the logistical impact that you describe doesn't sound ideal.

BD80
07-13-2015, 01:08 PM
I tried too but received a similar promiscuity message (too much sporking activity in the last 24 hours:o). ...

Sporking is an accepted form of social intercourse, no judging here. Be safe, use (virus) protection on your computer.

Those of us in the frigid north can but (butt?) say: boo friggin' hoo.

BigWayne
07-13-2015, 01:12 PM

PTB are having an open bar in an air conditioned box, well at least next year they are. From those pics, it looks like press/VIP facilities will be temporary this year. This might be the one year PTB will experience what you do.

Bob Green
07-13-2015, 04:20 PM

allenmurray
07-13-2015, 04:27 PM

I'm 6' 2", my sons are both 6' 5". We found the plastic seats a bit cramped, but on the other hand it was worth it in terms of the back support. Given the incredible improvements we've see in facilities in our 10 years of attendance I really can't complain.

Jarhead
07-13-2015, 04:46 PM
Having sat in those new blue seats the entire season last year, I'll have to disagree. The new seats were fine, and actually provided more room than the aluminum seats. The portable seats that many people used before extended behind the metal seats taking space in the rear. The blue seats don't. Be patient, folks they are pretty good.