PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Quinn, Marshall, Sean and Gerald

MarkD83
05-11-2015, 06:32 PM
I know there is a thread about Gerald graduating from Duke. It has also been mentioned that Rasheed will graduate in August.

That prompted me to start this thread. Graduating from college is a difficult task that is earned with a lot of hard work. This is especially true at Duke (sorry if this sounds like intellectual snobbery but Duke isn't a highly ranked University for no reason).

That means we should celebrate the student side of the "student-athlete".

So congratulations to Quinn, Marshall, Sean and Gerald!!!!

(BTW, the email from the alumni office asking you to give back to Duke should be in your inbox shortly :)).

MCFinARL
05-12-2015, 08:41 AM
I know there is a thread about Gerald graduating from Duke. It has also been mentioned that Rasheed will graduate in August.

That prompted me to start this thread. Graduating from college is a difficult task that is earned with a lot of hard work. This is especially true at Duke (sorry if this sounds like intellectual snobbery but Duke isn't a highly ranked University for no reason).

That means we should celebrate the student side of the "student-athlete".

So congratulations to Quinn, Marshall, Sean and Gerald!!!!

(BTW, the email from the alumni office asking you to give back to Duke should be in your inbox shortly :)).

Agree completely. Being a Division I athlete is close to a full time job on its own--especially in a sport like basketball, which spans two semesters and involves heavy travel and an average of two games a week. Being a team manager, as Sean was before joining the team this year, is probably also a major time commitment. Getting a degree at the same time represents extraordinary dedication--and getting it on time, as Quinn, Marshall and Sean are all doing, is especially impressive. Finishing a degree while maintaining a successful NBA career, as Gerald has, represents a whole other range of challenges. Here's hoping they feel as proud as they looked in their caps and gowns, because they should be.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-12-2015, 08:54 AM
Agree completely. Being a Division I athlete is close to a full time job on its own--especially in a sport like basketball, which spans two semesters and involves heavy travel and an average of two games a week. Being a team manager, as Sean was before joining the team this year, is probably also a major time commitment. Getting a degree at the same time represents extraordinary dedication--and getting it on time, as Quinn, Marshall and Sean are all doing, is especially impressive. Finishing a degree while maintaining a successful NBA career, as Gerald has, represents a whole other range of challenges. Here's hoping they feel as proud as they looked in their caps and gowns, because they should be.

Many many many kudos to all these young men. Sheed included. Very impressive whether you are graduating in three years or in your own spare time while in the NBA.

MCFinARL
05-12-2015, 09:01 AM
Many many many kudos to all these young men. Sheed included. Very impressive whether you are graduating in three years or in your own spare time while in the NBA.

Yes, I agree Sulaimon's accelerated completion of his degree at Duke is praiseworthy as well, and a wise choice in circumstances where he might have been tempted to do something foolish.

NovaScotian
05-12-2015, 09:50 PM

as if on cue, i got an email FROM quinn cook asking ME for money today.

bob blue devil
05-12-2015, 10:11 PM
congrats to these gentleman, to whom i wish only the best in their future endeavors. to my knowledge, they have consistently handled themselves in an admirable manner and have earned our continued support.

MCFinARL
05-13-2015, 09:05 AM
as if on cue, i got an email FROM quinn cook asking ME for money today.

Never let it be said that the fundraisers don't know a good thing when they see it! :D