PDA

View Full Version : Sulaimon to Maryland, it's official

wilson
05-11-2015, 11:23 AM
I'll still hope the best for Sheed personally, but I will not be cheering for him like I do for other 4 year players. And particularly won't be cheering for Maryland!Related question...what's the over/under on numbers of heads that explode in College Park during the first half dozen or so home basketball games as the twerps adjust to cheering for an erstwhile Dukie?

freshmanjs
05-11-2015, 11:23 AM
Related question...what's the over/under on numbers of heads that explode in College Park during the first half dozen or so home basketball games as the twerps adjust to cheering for an erstwhile Dukie?

zero

Troublemaker
05-11-2015, 11:37 AM
If Sulaimon goes to Maryland, that has to put them comfortably in the top-5 in the nation next year. With Diamond Stone, Melo Trimble, Robert Carter Jr, and Sulaimon (and some solid role players around them), that would be a dynamite group.

I have a HS friend who is pretty plugged in to Maryland sports. He told me a week ago that Sheed to the Terps was 99% done. Turgeon apparently recruited him hard while at Texas A&M, and built a good relationship in the process. While he would likely be their 3rd or 4th option on offense, this does offer Sheed a good chance at starting for a team expected to be a national title contender. As we've all heard, he seems to have been very disappointed to miss out on the title run (though genuinely happy for his former teammates).

Yeah, Maryland always stood out from the rest of his "10-15" suitors. With Maryland, he gets to (1) play for a top-5 team and get his shot at a championship run that he missed out on at Duke. If he has his head on straight, he will (2) START at 2-guard for this contender as well since they have a big hole at that position. And finally, (3) he has a coach in Turgeon that recruited him in high school and knows him well, and he can start with a blank slate with Turgeon without previous incidences of misconduct.

None of those other schools could hit two of those marks, much less all three.

Maryland is a a tremendous opportunity for Sheed that fell into his lap.

NashvilleDevil
05-11-2015, 12:54 PM
Goodman just tweeted that Rasheed has told him he is committing to Maryland

hurleyfor3
05-11-2015, 01:01 PM
Espn article here:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12865702/rasheed-sulaimon-play-senior-season-maryland-terrapins

CDu
05-11-2015, 01:06 PM
Good for him. Gets to play for a true title contender next year. Gets a chance to resurrect his image. Gets to play for a coach that recruited him heavily back in high school.

Stinks that it has to come at Maryland. Hope we don't have to play them next year.

Suddenly, Maryland is looking REALLY strong next year. Like, top-5 strong.

geraldsneighbor
05-11-2015, 01:11 PM
Duke vs. UMD in the B1G/ACC? Got to imagine ESPN would eat that up. Sulaimon comes home with an old rival with Duke's non-conference home winning streak potentially on the line in a matchup of the preseason #1 team vs. defending national champ.

dukelifer
05-11-2015, 01:15 PM
Good for him. Gets to play for a true title contender next year. Gets a chance to resurrect his image. Gets to play for a coach that recruited him heavily back in high school.

Stinks that it has to come at Maryland. Hope we don't have to play them next year.

Suddenly, Maryland is looking REALLY strong next year. Like, top-5 strong.

Well it happened before- Duke wins a championship and then does Maryland. It would be funny if the first team from the big 10 to win a championship in the last 15 years was a recent transplant from the ACC.

Ichabod Drain
05-11-2015, 01:15 PM
From Sheed's twitter:

Rasheed Sulaimon: "I want 2 thank the duke community & fans for 3 of the best years of my life. I will always remember & miss that place"

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-11-2015, 01:19 PM
From Sheed's twitter:

Rasheed Sulaimon: "I want 2 thank the duke community & fans for 3 of the best years of my life. I will always remember & miss that place"

It appears that Duke's media and PR training had an effect. Say what you will, Sheed knows what he is supposed to say and has the intelligence to say it.

Bob Green
05-11-2015, 01:19 PM
I'll be pulling hard for Rasheed Sulaimon to have a successful year at Maryland and make it to the NBA. He was always one of my favorites so I wish him the best of luck as a Terp.

hurleyfor3
05-11-2015, 01:20 PM
It would be funny if the first team from the big 10 to win a championship in the last 15 years was a recent transplant from the ACC.

This is already true!

lotusland
05-11-2015, 01:22 PM
Good for Rasheed! Since being booted off the team he's been nothing but respectful and contrite and done nothing to burn any bridges on the way out. I hope he has a great year at Maryland and I will be pulling for him.

OldPhiKap
05-11-2015, 01:30 PM
Great opportunity for Sheed. Md is going to be a real contender next year. I wish him great success and future happiness!

RepoMan
05-11-2015, 01:52 PM
Best of luck to Rasheed. Most of us don't have to learn hard life lessons in the bright light of the public eye. Hopefully, he can turn a negative into a positive developmental experience.

DukieInKansas
05-11-2015, 02:02 PM
Great opportunity for Sheed. Md is going to be a real contender next year. I wish him great success and future happiness!

This - but I want them to lose to Duke anytime the two teams meet.

MChambers
05-11-2015, 02:08 PM
It will be interesting to see how effective Sulaimon is next year. He didn't really seem to improve year to year at Duke, and this year's team was far more effective with him on the bench. I'm not saying that out of sour grapes, but just based on the stats. It was hard to pin down, but it was undeniable.

I'll root for him to have a good year, and for Maryland to go 0-30.

Furniture
05-11-2015, 02:11 PM
I'll be pulling hard for Rasheed Sulaimon to have a successful year at Maryland and make it to the NBA. He was always one of my favorites so I wish him the best of luck as a Terp.

Good luck to Sheed I'll be rooting for MD now unless they play Duke of course!

Billy Dat
05-11-2015, 02:19 PM
Duke vs. UMD in the B1G/ACC? Got to imagine ESPN would eat that up. Sulaimon comes home with an old rival with Duke's non-conference home winning streak potentially on the line in a matchup of the preseason #1 team vs. defending national champ.

This has come up before and others (can't remember who) have definitively said, "That will NEVER happen". Why is everyone so definitive? Is it because the ACC will refuse to let it happen? K will refuse to let it happen?

I would love it. That game would have JUICE!!!!!!!

Indoor66
05-11-2015, 02:28 PM
It appears that Duke's media and PR training had an effect. Say what you will, Sheed knows what he is supposed to say and has the intelligence to say it.

I would rather believe he spoke from the heart. I wish him the best for a great year and ongoing career. He has handled a difficult situation with dignity and maturity. He is, I hope, now a better man.

Duvall
05-11-2015, 02:33 PM
This has come up before and others (can't remember who) have definitively said, "That will NEVER happen". Why is everyone so definitive? Is it because the ACC will refuse to let it happen? K will refuse to let it happen?

Literally in the form of thrown batteries, if the game is in College Park.

Bluedog
05-11-2015, 02:42 PM

People think K wouldn't want it, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen

Coach K: "But when we schedule non-conference, it’s usually outside of our conference area, so that we play national teams."

So Coach K was then asked whether he could see a day when the teams would face each other again, even if only in the ACC-Big 10 Challenge.

“Well, that would be the only way it would be done, because we won’t schedule Maryland,” he answered. “And there’s nothing to that, just that it doesn’t work out for us to do that. That’s the only way it would happen, if they continue the Big 10-ACC.

“And by the way, these conferences, they keep adding teams,” he said as an aside. “Why don’t they put the right number [in their names]? I forget how many teams are in all these conferences, including our own sometimes, but I can just say it’s the ACC. I can get away with that. That was smart of our conference to do that. It’s a little bit crazy what’s going on all over.”
bahahaha

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/09/12/coach-k-we-wont-schedule-maryland/

English
05-11-2015, 02:43 PM

I believe that notion is based largely on Coach K's comments, publicly, that he'll never schedule UMd again. However, he was specifically posed the possibility of facing the Terps in the ACC/B1G Challenge, and his response:

"So Coach K was then asked whether he could see a day when the teams would face each other again, even if only in the ACC-Big 10 Challenge.

'Well, that would be the only way it would be done, because we won’t schedule Maryland,' he answered. 'And there’s nothing to that, just that it doesn’t work out for us to do that. That’s the only way it would happen, if they continue the Big 10-ACC.'"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/09/12/coach-k-we-wont-schedule-maryland/
* This is one of a dozen articles of the same general sentiment and content

flyingdutchdevil
05-11-2015, 02:47 PM

I'm with you Billy - I'd love to see it. But I don't see it being scheduled during the ACC/Big 10 Challenge. Maryland is a clear favorite to win it, especially with their biggest hole (the 2) filled by five star recruit with 2.5 years of ACC play under his belt. Duke is perceived as the third best ACC team. My guess it we'll be matched up with a Michigan school, as they are likely to fall within the 2-4 range.

cptnflash
05-11-2015, 02:52 PM
I'm very happy for Rasheed. Kudos to the young man for putting his head down academically and putting himself in position to graduate from Duke in 3 years - an amazing accomplishment for anyone, let alone a scholarship athlete. I hope he has a great season on what is clearly a very talented Maryland team, and eventually realizes his dream of playing in the NBA. Unless they're playing against us, I'll be rooting for Maryland all year long.

BD80
05-11-2015, 02:56 PM
From Sheed's twitter:

Why's he saying goodbye? The article states he is on track to graduate in August.

moonpie23
05-11-2015, 03:18 PM
Good luck to Sheed I'll be rooting for MD now unless they play Duke of course!

i would never root for the turtles, but i'll root for Sheed to have GREAT games hopefully in many many losses.....

Furniture
05-11-2015, 03:20 PM
Why's he saying goodbye? The article states he is on track to graduate in August.

Even if he is staying for summer isn't it a natural statement to thank everyone at the time of announcing his move to MD?

Furniture
05-11-2015, 03:23 PM
i would never root for the turtles, but i'll root for Sheed to have GREAT games hopefully in many many losses.....

Sorry if I disappoint you. I Have only been a Duke fan since 2010. To me they are team like any other.

Olympic Fan
05-11-2015, 03:35 PM
I'm with you Billy - I'd love to see it. But I don't see it being scheduled during the ACC/Big 10 Challenge. Maryland is a clear favorite to win it, especially with their biggest hole (the 2) filled by five star recruit with 2.5 years of ACC play under his belt. Duke is perceived as the third best ACC team. My guess it we'll be matched up with a Michigan school, as they are likely to fall within the 2-4 range.

We've been through this before on the schedule speculation thread, but:

(1) Andy Katz has projected Indiana at Duke in the Challenge. Since he's an ESPN shill, this is likely what the network wants.

(2) The most likely matchup for Maryland would be a rematch with Virginia in Charlottesville. The two old rivals met last year in College Park. Plus (although only a secondary consideration), Virginia and Maryland are the two best teams in their leagues going into the season.

(3) If Duke-Maryland does happen in the challenge, it would most likely happen in Cameron -- although not bound strictly by the home/road rotation, it does work 90 percent of the time. And Duke is due a home game, while Maryland is due a road game. I know that Duke previously played two home games in a row, but over the course of the challenge Duke has played 6 home games and 6 road games (plus four neutral -- two in Greensboro, two in Chicago); Maryland has played 7 at home and 6 on the road ... so while not definite, most likely that a Duke-Maryland matchup next season would be in Cameron.

Bob Green
05-11-2015, 03:39 PM
i would never root for the turtles.....

Even though they left the ACC, I've no problem rooting for Maryland with Sulaimon on their team. I'm not going to embrace the obnoxious Maryland fans, but I possess no animosity toward the team.

Lauderdevil
05-11-2015, 03:50 PM

I agree, especially if the game is at Cameron. Would be great to welcome Rasheed back and thank him for what he accomplished on the basketball court at Duke, and then pummel a Maryland team that is a legit national contender. Duke has usually played well in these high-intensity games, and while we have another new team next year, this would be an awesome test.

Dev11
05-11-2015, 03:51 PM
I hope Rasheed averages a triple double and gets drafted in the lottery after winning the NIT.

superdave
05-11-2015, 03:58 PM
I hope Rasheed averages a triple double and gets drafted in the lottery after winning the NIT.

That sounds right. The internal conflict is difficult. I need to see him in uniform to determine whether or not it will give me a rash.

-bdbd
05-11-2015, 04:40 PM
Even though they left the ACC, I've no problem rooting for Maryland with Sulaimon on their team. I'm not going to embrace the obnoxious Maryland fans, but I possess no animosity toward the team.

Honestly, not sure how you can do that Bob. Perhaps it is a little different living out West than it is here in the DC area, surrounded by tons of truly obnoxious Terp fans. And I do like 'sheed, but I'll admit that there is a little perverse joy in being able to respond to my chest-thumping neighbors bragging about this and their top-5 pre-season MD BB squad, that only a kid who was KICKED OFF the Duke team and accused various misdeeds, etc. could actually fit in well in College Park.... :eek:
(Only would be doing that with a bit of tongue-in-cheek, as I've long rooted for this young man.)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/wp/2015/05/11/former-duke-guard-rasheed-sulaimon-commits-to-maryland/

rsvman
05-11-2015, 04:40 PM

LOL.

I hear the sentiment, but if Rasheed averages a triple double Maryland is going to be really, really good.

I don't care how well they do, provided they don't beat us. I hope they schedule UNC and trounce them. Preferably in the Dump on the Hump. But when tourney time comes around, put in on the opposite side of the brackets so we couldn't see them until the national title game. I'd take that.

devildeac
05-11-2015, 04:46 PM

I'd actually like to see them fall one game short of making the NIT:rolleyes:.

And for 'Sheed to be 1st team AA.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-11-2015, 05:18 PM
I know i mentioned this in the Maryland/Sheed speculation thread, but I am in the small minority of people who aren't wishing he goes on to great things. I mean, I don't wish him ill, but I will him well in the same way that I generally hope that people in the world don't experience famine or war.

Sheed blew it, big time. He had an opportunity that I would have done absolutely anything to have. I spent about 10 years of my life working my tail off day in and day out in hopes that I might one day play basketball at Duke for Coach K. Genetics, inability, and shoddy knees kept me from ever sniffing that chance, but when someone who has been afforded that chance (not to mention that a full ride to Duke is nothing to sneeze at) then squanders it away on a non-cooperative attitude and lack of conditioning - I am far from obliged to hope he gets a triple-double average, a high NBA draft position, and a national championship. HE HAD THOSE THINGS WAITING FOR HIM AT DUKE

And that's without touching the sexual assault allegations (yes, I know "only allegations").

He's the only player in thirty plus years to get booted from a K team. Sure, I hope he doesn't get hit by a bus, but I'm not going to be ordering Sulaimon Terp jerseys, that's for sure.

Go Duke!

mattman91
05-11-2015, 05:24 PM
I know i mentioned this in the Maryland/Sheed speculation thread, but I am in the small minority of people who aren't wishing he goes on to great things. I mean, I don't wish him ill, but I will him well in the same way that I generally hope that people in the world don't experience famine or war.

Sheed blew it, big time. He had an opportunity that I would have done absolutely anything to have. I spent about 10 years of my life working my tail off day in and day out in hopes that I might one day play basketball at Duke for Coach K. Genetics, inability, and shoddy knees kept me from ever sniffing that chance, but when someone who has been afforded that chance (not to mention that a full ride to Duke is nothing to sneeze at) then squanders it away on a non-cooperative attitude and lack of conditioning - I am far from obliged to hope he gets a triple-double average, a high NBA draft position, and a national championship. HE HAD THOSE THINGS WAITING FOR HIM AT DUKE

And that's without touching the sexual assault allegations (yes, I know "only allegations").

He's the only player in thirty plus years to get booted from a K team. Sure, I hope he doesn't get hit by a bus, but I'm not going to be ordering Sulaimon Terp jerseys, that's for sure.

Go Duke!

Couldn't spork you, but you wrote my thoughts without waranting any flame comments :cool:

elvis14
05-11-2015, 05:35 PM
Couldn't spork you, but you wrote my thoughts without waranting any flame comments :cool:

I sporked him for you (and me).

lotusland
05-11-2015, 05:43 PM

Go Duke!
I get that but I'm hoping for redemption for Sheed. I wish he could have consistently lived up to K's expectations in which case I would be hoping for a Quinn like Senior year at Duke for him. If he had trashed K or Duke after he got booted I might feel differently but he seems to have taken responsibility for his actions so I'm rooting for him.

BD80
05-11-2015, 06:12 PM
... I am in the small minority of people who aren't wishing he goes on to great things. ...

And that's without touching the sexual assault allegations (yes, I know "only allegations"). ...

I strongly believe that this board is no place for the perpetuation of slanderous rumors.

The "allegations" were third hand, prone to mistake and misinterpretation, and with no basis upon which to judge their veracity. There is a very sound principle in law called "the hearsay rule" which makes secondhand testimony inadmissible.

What if I mentioned something about how you "touched" this inappropriate subject, and somebody responded about your inappropriate touching. Should we then be free to post about the "allegations" of sexual assault by Mountain Devil?

Duvall
05-11-2015, 06:15 PM
I strongly believe that this board is no place for the perpetuation of slanderous rumors.

That's fine, but it has nothing to do with anything posted here. Slander is not an all-purpose word for "statement I don't like."

The "allegations" were third hand, prone to mistake and misinterpretation, and with no basis upon which to judge their veracity. There is a very sound principle in law called "the hearsay rule" which makes secondhand testimony inadmissible.

Inadmissible to...a message board? What are you talking about?

sagegrouse
05-11-2015, 06:16 PM

Go Duke!

I'm in your boat, Mountain Devil.

And with respect to Terpdom, I am getting some perverse pleasure from seeing Maryland do well in the Big Ten.

Jeffrey
05-11-2015, 06:17 PM
I'm certainly not claiming Rasheed was one of my favorite Duke players (not sure how he could be considered Grant Hill level during his time at Duke), since his behavior was repeatedly less than commendable (how many times did Grant Hill disrespect an Assistant Coach?), but he may have been in as hard a spot as I recall. Come in getting significant PT as a Freshman, and then having a lottery pick come in your Sophomore and Junior years, in a Coach K, best player plays, environment is tough. Hood and Winslow were better and that's a tough spot for a guy who would have started on most teams. Rasheed will be in a perfect spot (ignoring the lame uniform) and I hope the young man makes the most of it!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-11-2015, 06:23 PM

What if I mentioned something about how you "touched" this inappropriate subject, and somebody responded about your inappropriate touching. Should we then be free to post about the "allegations" of sexual assault by Mountain Devil?

Which is why the allegations were not the point of my post. But thanks.

MarkD83
05-11-2015, 06:24 PM

I have not read the article and will trust BD80 regarding the content in bold.

I know that Rasheed did not live up to the standards required to be on the Duke basketball team. However, he has earned my respect for becoming a Duke graduate.

BD80
05-11-2015, 06:57 PM
That's fine, but it has nothing to do with anything posted here. Slander is not an all-purpose word for "statement I don't like."

Inadmissible to...a message board? What are you talking about?

Since it is written, yes it is defamation. Slander is a term I believed would be more readily understood when referring to statements that cause others to have a bad opinion of someone. Referring to "allegations" of sexual assault in the context of "why I won't root for him" is defamatory. Wouldn't think I'd have to explain that.

Again, didn't think I would have to explain that, when talking about a legal principle, "inadmissible" meant inadmissible in court. The important part of the statement is that hearsay is unreliable. That means it should not be relied upon.

I don't care if you choose to dislike Sheed because of what the Chronicle printed. I just believe it is unfair for anyone to raise unsubstantiated allegations which demean his character.

SupaDave
05-11-2015, 07:05 PM

Go Duke!

Sounds like a little too much sour grapes to me. This is NOT about YOU - it's about him. We all must choose our own path. Things didn't work out and he gets to pursue his dream elsewhere and obviously the school has seen to it that he has this opportunity. Ish happens, we grow, we move on. Such is life. Wish him luck.

What I'm most concerned by however is how he is apparently getting to play immediately since he will be a transfer and not a grad student.

Duvall
05-11-2015, 07:12 PM
Since it is written, yes it is defamation. Slander is a term I believed would be more readily understood when referring to statements that cause others to have a bad opinion of someone. Referring to "allegations" of sexual assault in the context of "why I won't root for him" is defamatory. Wouldn't think I'd have to explain that.

You really should explain it, because what you have written is word salad. Defamation, slander - these are terms of art with actual meanings, and nothing anyone has written in this thread remotely approaches the standard for either claim.

Again, didn't think I would have to explain that, when talking about a legal principle, "inadmissible" meant inadmissible in court. The important part of the statement is that hearsay is unreliable. That means it should not be relied upon.

Not relied upon...in court. Not relied upon in a a legal proceeding with the goal of depriving someone of their liberty or property, not relied upon when a court is being asked to punish or restrain someone's activities. That has nothing to do with a poster on a message board talking about why they don't like someone. You get that, right?

hudlow
05-11-2015, 07:24 PM
Re; Sulaimon....

No ill will

AHHHHHHHH SEE YA!

Next play.

jimsumner
05-11-2015, 08:55 PM
I'm certainly not claiming Rasheed was one of my favorite Duke players (not sure how he could be considered Grant Hill level during his time at Duke), since his behavior was repeatedly less than commendable (how many times did Grant Hill disrespect an Assistant Coach?), but he may have been in as hard a spot as I recall. Come in getting significant PT as a Freshman, and then having a lottery pick come in your Sophomore and Junior years, in a Coach K, best player plays, environment is tough. Hood and Winslow were better and that's a tough spot for a guy who would have started on most teams. Rasheed will be in a perfect spot (ignoring the lame uniform) and I hope the young man makes the most of it!

Sulaimon is/was a natural shooting guard, at 6-4. He played out of position t the 3 as a freshman. Hood took over the small forward spot in 2014 (he was not a lottery pick, btw). But Seth Curry's graduation left the shooting-guard spot wide open for Sulaimon. And he couldn't grab it, sharing time with Andre Dawkins and Tyler Thornton, while also backing up Hood at the 3.

His junior year? Yes, Winslow is a stud. But he played the second half of the season at the 4, with Matt Jones starting at the 3.

Matt Jones is not a lottery pick. Sulaimon could have taken that spot had he performed up to expectations.

Which he did not.

Sulaimon came back for his sophomore season entitled and out of shape and played himself out of a starting role. And did no better as a junior.

I'm sorry but I don't share the feeling that he faced an especially difficult situation, certainly no more than dozens of other K-era players who have been expected to compete for PT with talented teammates without disrupting team chemistry when things didn't work out the way they planned.

Capn Poptart
05-11-2015, 09:39 PM
I'll be rooting for Sheed. Until he enrolls at the University of Maryland. At that point, he becomes just another representative of a school that, through fiscal mismanagement and backdoor dealings, seriously fracked a conference I love and almost unleashed a devastating ACC earthquake.

subzero02
05-11-2015, 09:45 PM
I hate maryland; this changes nothing.

miramar
05-11-2015, 11:14 PM
I'm sorry but I don't share the feeling that he faced an especially difficult situation, certainly no more than dozens of other K-era players who have been expected to compete for PT with talented teammates without disrupting team chemistry when things didn't work out the way they planned.

No doubt about it. Even with all the lottery picks coming in, Sulaimon could have been a three-year starter at the 2 or 3, a member of a national championship team, and could now be deciding between going on to the next level or returning for a fourth year. I would say that most players would love to face such difficulties.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-12-2015, 12:43 AM

I don't care if you choose to dislike Sheed because of what the Chronicle printed. I just believe it is unfair for anyone to raise unsubstantiated allegations which demean his character.

I would love to hear how mentioning in passing the fact that allegations exist is slanderous. Especially when mentioning them as NOT as being as reason you aren't rooting for someone.

I'd also love to know how you see it as a baseless rumor that the allegations exist.

We can argue the validity of the allegations (I have zero interest in doing so) but saying they don't exist is burying your head in the sand with your fingers in your ears.

What really annoys me is that I wrote a post outlining my personal reasons for not being a Sheed flag-waver and specifically excluded the assault allegations from my statement and you have taken offense that I would dare to mention they exist. I excluded by name the allegations because I did not want this to turn into yet another thread all about this topic.

Please, root for him or don't, but if you are going to take issue with my post, at least represent it properly.

I really hate off-season threads. They seem to get so contentious so fast.

duke09hms
05-12-2015, 12:45 AM
Bright side - MD emerges as a powerhouse team that might keep UNC from winning it all.

BD80
05-12-2015, 04:00 AM
I would love to hear how mentioning in passing the fact that allegations exist is slanderous. Especially when mentioning them as NOT as being as reason you aren't rooting for someone.

I'd also love to know how you see it as a baseless rumor that the allegations exist.

We can argue the validity of the allegations (I have zero interest in doing so) but saying they don't exist is burying your head in the sand with your fingers in your ears.

What really annoys me is that I wrote a post outlining my personal reasons for not being a Sheed flag-waver and specifically excluded the assault allegations from my statement and you have taken offense that I would dare to mention they exist. I excluded by name the allegations because I did not want this to turn into yet another thread all about this topic.

Please, root for him or don't, but if you are going to take issue with my post, at least represent it properly.

I really hate off-season threads. They seem to get so contentious so fast.

Sigh. Who made the allegations? What were, specifically, the allegations? No one knows. The only "evidence" that there are allegations is that somebody said they heard the allegations. That is hearsay. The person(s) reported to have heard the allegations could be mistaken or lying. As could the person(s) who allegedly made the allegations. Nevertheless, the story was reported in the Chronicle, which adds another layer of hearsay. The heart of the Chronicle story is a former student who worked in the basketball office who texted with someone who claimed to be an alleged victim's "best friend" and was gossiping about "the next big Duke scandal." What kind of friend gossips about their supposed best friend as the next big scandal?

Why would you keep mentioning the "allegations?" Even if you so "cleverly" mention them by noting that your listed reasons did not include the allegations and adding a glib "(yes, I know "only allegations")". Accusations of sexual misconduct are defamation per se as they go specifically to the character of the accused. Raising the allegations in the manner you did is adopting the allegations, that is what gossip is all about. Yes, I understand that truth is a defense, so if you want to be fair, at least say "the Chronicle reported that there were allegations."

I admit that if this were pertaining to a tar heel, I wouldn't be so aggravated, and would even perhaps be amused. But when it is a Duke student, I believe the student deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Skitzle
05-12-2015, 04:40 AM
Sigh. Who made the allegations? What were, specifically, the allegations? No one knows. The only "evidence" that there are allegations is that somebody said they heard the allegations. That is hearsay. The person(s) reported to have heard the allegations could be mistaken or lying. As could the person(s) who allegedly made the allegations. Nevertheless, the story was reported in the Chronicle, which adds another layer of hearsay. The heart of the Chronicle story is a former student who worked in the basketball office who texted with someone who claimed to be an alleged victim's "best friend" and was gossiping about "the next big Duke scandal." What kind of friend gossips about their supposed best friend as the next big scandal?

Why would you keep mentioning the "allegations?" Even if you so "cleverly" mention them by noting that your listed reasons did not include the allegations and adding a glib "(yes, I know "only allegations")". Accusations of sexual misconduct are defamation per se as they go specifically to the character of the accused. Raising the allegations in the manner you did is adopting the allegations, that is what gossip is all about. Yes, I understand that truth is a defense, so if you want to be fair, at least say "the Chronicle reported that there were allegations."

I admit that if this were pertaining to a tar heel, I wouldn't be so aggravated, and would even perhaps be amused. But when it is a Duke student, I believe the student deserves the benefit of the doubt.

For clarity's sake, Sulaimon himself said that the office of student affairs contacted him in regards to an investigation. Which means that someone made allegations of sexual misconduct against Sulaimon , even if the person that made the allegations isn't the person to whom the alleged misconduct was directed.

In reality, the original poster was clearly not trying to slander or debase or demean or make Sulaimon guilty, we're really just parsing words here. Must be the offseason.

Changing the topic a bit, I have a baseball question. Who's on first?

sagegrouse
05-12-2015, 06:31 AM

So, we have to consider the "elephant that is NOT in the room?"

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-12-2015, 06:44 AM

Okay, fine. We seem to have a law student arguing against a philosophy student about syntax at this point. I maintain that if someone has made an allegation - completely independent of the veracity of the assertion - than it is true to say that allegations exist. The mistake comes in how people interpret the word "allegation." If people see an allegation as an assumption of guilt, it's unfortunate and they are wrong. An allegation is never an assumption of guilt, even if the party is guilty. I do not take responsibility for how readers of this website might interpret my passing statement of fact which was news to zero people on this board, there were allegations of sexual assault.

Why don't we take it a step further? Do we have any definitive proof of guilt that Sheed was out of shape two summers ago? Or is it simply that he was allegedly out of shape? No, wait, can't say that they were allegations - even if they were. Can we state that there were allegations that he had a poor attitude? Do we have video of him being pouty in practice?

My post intentionally made light of the fact that there were sexual allegations against Rasheed - something that I personally do not take lightly due to experiences in my own life that I have zero interest in going into on this board. The reason I even mentioned the allegations in passing originally is that there was SO MUCH speculation in the past few months that his dismissal from the team either was or was not directly related to these allegations (that we can't mention).

Look, I'm going to restate my initial points - Sheed had a great opportunity that many people on this board would trade almost anything for, and he wasted it on attitude and lack of effort. This leaves me not feeling sorry for him and it leaves me not rooting for him to have a great season with a different school next season. I feel for him, in the same way that I feel for anyone who is subjected largely to a tragedy of their own making. It's tough to watch someone bring themselves down.

If anyone wants to engage in whether or not Sheed is a player to root for, I'm happy to continue this discussion. If someone wants to discuss the finer philosophical points of the existence of things or ideas, I'm happy to do that off-board. If anyone wants to parse anything else from my original post - please have at it, I won't be engaging.

bob blue devil
05-12-2015, 07:10 AM
Sure, I wish Rasheed well. I just wish a whole lotta other people well before him.

mkirsh
05-12-2015, 07:47 AM

Isn't it only an allegation of defamation until Mountain Devil is convicted in a court of law?

allenmurray
05-12-2015, 08:10 AM

If you hold a belief that people can grow and change than is easy to wish someone well even after they have made mistakes and perhaps even caused you hurt. That is the basic concept of forgiveness. Having an opportunity, "blowing it", then getting back up and making some order out of the mess you created is what we all should hope for for anyone who has "screwed up" in their life.

Indoor66
05-12-2015, 08:14 AM
If you hold a belief that people can grow and change than is easy to wish someone well even after they have made mistakes and perhaps even caused you hurt. That is the basic concept of forgiveness. Having an opportunity, "blowing it", then getting back up and making some order out of the mess you created is what we all should hope for for anyone who has "screwed up" in their life.

Find me someone who hasn't screwed up in one way or another. Forgiveness given is forgiveness received.

allenmurray
05-12-2015, 08:17 AM
Find me someone who hasn't screwed up in one way or another. Forgiveness given is forgiveness received.

I agree. I've messed up in my life. I appreciated the people who helped me up far more than those standing on the sideline saying I didn't deserve another chance. I wish Rasheed well - it costs me nothing to hope for the best for people instead of the alternative.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-12-2015, 08:35 AM

I completely respect that. For me, it's a bit too fresh. I have no problem affording people second chances, I'm just a little slower to start up the parade bus to cheer someone who had such historically poor work ethic and attitude that the coach took the unprecedented step of dismissal.

Skitzle
05-12-2015, 08:50 AM
I completely respect that. For me, it's a bit too fresh. I have no problem affording people second chances, I'm just a little slower to start up the parade bus to cheer someone who had such historically poor work ethic and attitude that the coach took the unprecedented step of dismissal.

This. You're not alone MD. I liked Rasheed, but he didn't screw up once. He screwed up repeatedly. Everyone deserves a second chance. K gave him many. Don't forget that.,

Addition: Quoting a friend who arguably puts too much stock in the reported heresay-ful allegations.
"I have absolutely no desire to forgive him. I think he was a disappointing basketball player and an even more disappointing human being."

Still I see where he is coming from, and don't entirely disagree. K has carried disappointing basketball players on his team before. The fact that K kicked him off the team... whether there was an allegation involved or not... means he had a very disappointing attitude. Does it not?

MCFinARL
05-12-2015, 08:54 AM
Sounds like a little too much sour grapes to me. This is NOT about YOU - it's about him. We all must choose our own path. Things didn't work out and he gets to pursue his dream elsewhere and obviously the school has seen to it that he has this opportunity. Ish happens, we grow, we move on. Such is life. Wish him luck.

What I'm most concerned by however is how he is apparently getting to play immediately since he will be a transfer and not a grad student.

Actually, he will be a graduate student, which is how he is getting to play immediately. He will finish his undergraduate degree at Duke this summer.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-12-2015, 08:57 AM
Actually, he will be a graduate student, which is how he is getting to play immediately. He will finish his undergraduate degree at Duke this summer.

That is very impressive. Kudos to Sheed on that account. I can't imagine trying to maintain focus on academics in that sort of situation.

RepoMan
05-12-2015, 09:08 AM

I think he is a young man who evidently consistently made the same sort of mistake, and the coach concluded it was detrimental to the team, resulting in his dismissal. I have no doubt he earned the dismissal, and we are fortunate to have a coach who is a quality leader and decision maker, like Coach K.

But my guess is that, as a kid without a lot of life experience, Rasheed probably didn't fully realize what he was jeopardizing with his behavior and conduct -- at least up until the moment Duke won the National Championship and he tearfully told his father how bad he felt about what he had lost. In my book, that is more than ample "punishment." And to have to experience it publicly, with people broadcasting on TV that the team was better without him (which undeniably was true), is particularly strong medicine.

So, it is with that backdrop that I wish Rasheed the best, hope he learned from this experience, and hope he turns into a positive with this new opportunity.

(And, yes, I enjoy the emotional dilemma this poses for Terp fans.)

dyedwab
05-12-2015, 09:09 AM

This, for me, make Rasheed different than literally every other person who has transferred out of the program who isn't named Crawford Palmer.

Rasheed Sulaimon will ALWAYS be a graduate of Duke University (in fact, it is only because of that that he can play next year for the Terps).

I'm ambivalent about Rasheed generally, but I know little about what it takes to be a Duke basketball player, but a lot about what it takes to graduate from Duke. For that specific accomplishment, I wish him the best.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-12-2015, 09:13 AM
I think he is a young man who evidently consistently made the same sort of mistake, and the coach concluded it was detrimental to the team, resulting in his dismissal. I have no doubt he earned the dismissal, and we are fortunate to have a coach who is a quality leader and decision maker, like Coach K.

But my guess is that, as a kid without a lot of life experience, Rasheed probably didn't fully realize what he was jeopardizing with his behavior and conduct -- at least up until the moment Duke won the National Championship and he tearfully told his father how bad he felt about what he had lost. In my book, that is more than ample "punishment." And to have to experience it publicly, with people broadcasting on TV that the team was better without him (which undeniably was true), is particularly strong medicine.

So, it is with that backdrop that I wish Rasheed the best, hope he learned from this experience, and hope he turns into a positive with this new opportunity.

Yes, even as someone who is at best ambivalent about Sheed, I can't imagine what it was like watching your band of brothers cutting down the nets.

elvis14
05-12-2015, 09:34 AM

I agree with MD on this one. When I think about Rasheed right now (and uMD that for that matter) what I discover is apathy. Do well, don't do well, I don't care. I'm not rooting against him but I'm not rooting for him either. What will be interesting to see is if I find myself rooting for him once I see him playing next season.

HaveFunExpectToWin
05-12-2015, 09:55 AM

I have plenty of animosity for their team because of their obnoxious fans. I don't think I really cared about about the Terps one way or the other until I moved to the DC area. In the early to mid 2000s everyone around here was suddenly a Terps fan.

Besides UNC and UK, MD is probably my next most disliked team (throw in Tennessee too).

That said, I'll root for Sheed individually.

CDu
05-12-2015, 10:06 AM
My feeling on Sulaimon is this: he apparently had some personal issues that led to repeated conflicts with the team and/or coaching staff. He paid a heavy price for those problems: getting dismissed from the team, getting publicly shamed, losing out on the wonderful championship run, having a huge hit to his draft stock by virtue of character concerns, etc. He's paid for his transgressions. I'm ready to move on.

That being said, now that he's moving on elsewhere, I wish him well (as I'd do for almost anyone) but I probably won't be actively rooting for or against him moving forward. I realize many will disagree with that view, and that's fine. Doesn't make a difference to me, him, or almost anyone else what any of us think of him moving forward.

That said, I won't hold what happened against him any further, because I think he's paid a pretty heavy price for his mistakes already.

Tommac
05-12-2015, 10:14 AM
I think most Duke fans will have an interest in Sulaimon's performance next season and his future but mine will be less due to his picking Maryland of all teams to transfer to, second only to Chapel Hell in most despised college programs. It's hard for me to imagine a former Duke player playing for Maryland.

Dev11
05-12-2015, 10:27 AM

I hate to break it to you, but from cruising around various Maryland places on the internet yesterday, my impression is that Maryland fans could not be happier about this development. Rasheed fills a need for them as a slasher, shooter, and perimeter defender, and they already had the pieces to be a 1 seed before bringing him in. They're at least heavy favorites to win the Big Corn.

Tom B.
05-12-2015, 10:50 AM
I agree with MD on this one. When I think about Rasheed right now (and uMD that for that matter) what I discover is apathy. Do well, don't do well, I don't care. I'm not rooting against him but I'm not rooting for him either. What will be interesting to see is if I find myself rooting for him once I see him playing next season.

That's pretty much exactly where I am. I couldn't be more "Meh" about this right now.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-12-2015, 11:31 AM
That's pretty much exactly where I am. I couldn't be more "Meh" about this right now.

The way he is being celebrated, you would think he was overcoming an injury or something, rather than being booted off the team for the worst attitude in 30+ years.

The kid can't seem to get out of his own way. If he proves himself, I am willing to come around eventually, but he hasn't been off the team five months. That's a dramatic turnaround for a kid who seemed to have three years worth of issues at Duke.

I would love to be proved wrong by Sheed, but til then I won't be cheering for him.

Edouble
05-12-2015, 11:32 AM
I hate to break it to you, but from cruising around various Maryland places on the internet yesterday, my impression is that Maryland fans could not be happier about this development. Rasheed fills a need for them as a slasher, shooter, and perimeter defender, and they already had the pieces to be a 1 seed before bringing him in. They're at least heavy favorites to win the Big Corn.

An alleged slasher, shooter, and perimeter defender. Maybe he can do at Maryland what he couldn't do at Duke.

flyingdutchdevil
05-12-2015, 11:41 AM
For three years, Sulaimon was my favorite Blue Devil. His passion, raw ability, and insane freshman year were all qualities that I loved.

Getting kicked off the team, rumors about his poor work ethic, and the Chronicle story were black eyes on his otherwise strong resume. I felt badly for the kid because he, at the end of the day, is a 21 year old with stress levels that none of us could imagine at that age.

I will be supporting Sulaimon for this year, next year, and thereafter, for the following reasons:

1) He will graduate with a Duke degree. I love the "student" in "student-athlete," and Sulaimon has done a strong job of portraying this (GPA above 3.0, he was a TIP student at Duke before enrolling at Duke)
2) He may have had a following out with Coach K, but he remained tight with his teammates and still has a lot of love and respect for Duke. Duke > Coach K, IMO. Always and ever.
3) He is still an exciting player to watch, and now he has an even bigger chip on his shoulder. Should be really exciting to watch next year.

So, I will support Sulaimon, wish him well, and hope he has individual success with Maryland. I don't like Maryland (although I must admit that a) my level of animosity against them has subsided since they left the ACC, and b) I like Melo and Layman as players), but I would tune in for a game or two just to see Sulaimon play.

gumbomoop
05-12-2015, 01:00 PM
I could easily see Terps as consensus preseason national #1. Basic criteria are talent, experience, depth. Trimble had a superb frosh season. Layman can play wing 3 or stretch 4. If Turgeon wants to play big, using Layman at wing 3, he has 4 bigs he can rotate. Rasheed's arrival gives them 3 wing 2/3s. I wonder whether Rasheed will be the backup PG.

I assume Rasheed chose Md because of his prior contact with Turgeon and the real opportunity to get to the Final Four. The only thing that surprises me just a little is that I'd have assumed he'd want to demonstrate his PG skills, and he'll not have many minutes there. Maybe he's accepted that he's a scorer mostly, not a vision-distributor. I wonder whether Nickens and Wiley, 2 returning and promising wings, will welcome Rasheed's arrival. Each of those guys just lost significant PT. But if Turgeon gets the chemistry cooking, Terps should go deep.

Turgeon probably has 9 guys who can play, most of whom have more than sufficient experience, one of whom (Trimble) looks a super talent, and several of whom are likely to be very good.

oldnavy
05-12-2015, 01:02 PM
I wish Rasheed the best.

Over my career, I have had the unenviable task of having to "dismiss" sailors/employees from positions and even careers. It is sad no matter the circumstances and I never took pleasure in doing so, regardless of how deserved the dismissal may have been.

I would always tell the individual that it was up to them to determine if the situation resulted in tragedy or triumph. They alone had the opportunity to write the ending. If they didn't learn and continued the behavior that resulted in the trouble, then it was tragic. If they took the lesson and grew from it and became better for it, then it was a triumph.

I always wished them the latter.

devildeac
05-12-2015, 01:24 PM
Bright side - MD emerges as a powerhouse team that might keep UNC from winning it all.

I'll still root for the meteor or a double forfeit or vacating the result of this game if it occurs.

devildeac
05-12-2015, 01:26 PM
For clarity's sake, Sulaimon himself said that the office of student affairs contacted him in regards to an investigation. Which means that someone made allegations of sexual misconduct against Sulaimon , even if the person that made the allegations isn't the person to whom the alleged misconduct was directed.

In reality, the original poster was clearly not trying to slander or debase or demean or make Sulaimon guilty, we're really just parsing words here. Must be the offseason.

To answer your question: You are correct.

BD80
05-12-2015, 02:14 PM
To answer your question: You are correct.

What?

Steven43
05-12-2015, 02:43 PM
It will be interesting to see how effective Sulaimon is next year. He didn't really seem to improve year to year at Duke, and this year's team was far more effective with him on the bench. I'm not saying that out of sour grapes, but just based on the stats. It was hard to pin down, but it was undeniable.

I'll root for him to have a good year, and for Maryland to go 0-30.
There was often a lot to like about Sulaimon--high energy, vocal Duke enthusiast, competitive, and feisty with pretty good athleticism, 3-point shooting (though streaky), and defense. Could take over a game occasionally. Still, there were times when he would basically disappear or on the flip side, would continually drive to the basket against bigger opponents and throw up crazy shots that had almost no chance of success (a la Austin Rivers at Duke). I always held out hope that he would somehow put it all together and maximize his ability. I don't think it was ever going to happen at Duke, though. And I doubt it will happen at Maryland. Oh, he will probably play well at times, but overall I expect him to have similar production to what he had at Duke.

All that being said, I have been very impressed with his comments over the past few weeks. He actually seems quite mature. Just like the vast majority of Duke basketball student-athletes through the years. And for all we know he really got railroaded on the sexual assault stuff. I have a hard time passing judgement on him for what is, to this point, nothing more than innuendo and rumor. Still, I can't say that I wish him well at Maryland. The Terrapins have what I think is the single most classless fan base in the entire country. And that's saying something when you're being considered alongside UNC and Kentucky fans. But I truly have nothing against the guy and I hope he has a great life. Too bad it just didn't work out at Duke.

jv001
05-12-2015, 02:49 PM
What?

Well is it Who? Or is it What?:cool: GoDuke!

DukieInKansas
05-12-2015, 02:54 PM
What?

Second base

SupaDave
05-12-2015, 03:41 PM
Too bad it just didn't work out at Duke.

This is the problem with board priorities and micro thinking.

Technically things went splendidly at Duke. He earned himself a free education (actually two now) and leaves as a Duke alumnus who spent nearly 4 years under one of the best coaches of all time. He still was able to celebrate 1000 wins with Coack K. He had highs. He had lows. And through it all it appears he may have also learned a little something about what humility is - and if that's so, mission accomplished - Duke helped shape a man.

stals
05-12-2015, 05:37 PM
I wish Rasheed no ill will, but he's no longer a Blue Devil player and will be playing for another team next year. He's gone and hopefully he will have a Duke degree in a few months.

Who cares about Maryland and his future performance at this point?

DukeTrinity11
05-12-2015, 06:02 PM
I wish Rasheed no ill will, but he's no longer a Blue Devil player and will be playing for another team next year. He's gone and hopefully he will have a Duke degree in a few months.

Who cares about Maryland and his future performance at this point?

Uh what? You don't care about how Duke graduates, specifically former members of the basketball team, do post graduation in whatever field they choose to pursue? He's not an outsider, he's a Duke alumnus.

wavedukefan70s
05-12-2015, 06:08 PM
I truly believe he let his emotions get the better of him.I my self have no ill will towards him.hope he is successful. He's a young man .young men are known to make bad choices.go getem sheed do your thing.

Edouble
05-12-2015, 06:35 PM
This is the problem with board priorities and micro thinking.

Technically things went splendidly at Duke. He earned himself a free education (actually two now) and leaves as a Duke alumnus who spent nearly 4 years under one of the best coaches of all time. He still was able to celebrate 1000 wins with Coack K. He had highs. He had lows. And through it all it appears he may have also learned a little something about what humility is - and if that's so, mission accomplished - Duke helped shape a man.

It was nearly three years, not four, and by all accounts the three years were made up of more lows than than highs.

Micro thinking? OK, big picture... he played way below his potential and was the first player that one of the best coaches of all time had to dismiss.

This is kind of like saying that a soldier returning from Afghanistan without his legs got paid well and had a nice vacation.

Jeffrey
05-12-2015, 06:41 PM
Sulaimon is/was a natural shooting guard, at 6-4. He played out of position t the 3 as a freshman. Hood took over the small forward spot in 2014 (he was not a lottery pick, btw). But Seth Curry's graduation left the shooting-guard spot wide open for Sulaimon. And he couldn't grab it, sharing time with Andre Dawkins and Tyler Thornton, while also backing up Hood at the 3.

His junior year? Yes, Winslow is a stud. But he played the second half of the season at the 4, with Matt Jones starting at the 3.

Matt Jones is not a lottery pick. Sulaimon could have taken that spot had he performed up to expectations.

Which he did not.

Sulaimon came back for his sophomore season entitled and out of shape and played himself out of a starting role. And did no better as a junior.

Hi Jim,

You're right, I was overstating the ramifications of Hood's and Winslow's entrance upon Rasheed's PT opportunities.

killerleft
05-12-2015, 06:55 PM
It was nearly three years, not four, and by all accounts the three years were made up of more lows than than highs.

Micro thinking? OK, big picture... he played way below his potential and was the first player that one of the best coaches of all time had to dismiss.

This is kind of like saying that a soldier returning from Afghanistan without his legs got paid well and had a nice vacation.

Or perhaps Coach K got him to occasionally play as close to his potential as was possible.

SupaDave
05-12-2015, 06:56 PM

Nope - he committed in 2011. These kids get right on whatever they have to work on at K's request usually.

Left Duke with two gold medals, a couple all ACC freshmen awards, an elite 8 appearance, beat UK, never lost in the Big 10 challenge, 1000 wins with K, only 3 career home losses and a Duke degree. That's a whole lotta highs. More highlights than most of our college basketball careers I'm sure...

devilirium
05-12-2015, 08:35 PM
^ He played a big role in that Elite Eight run--Michigan State had a hard time keeping up with him. If I recall, he lived on the line vs the Spartans. He also led all scorers vs Creighton in the second round--that was a tight game until about 6-7 minutes left. Started 50 out of 70 games. Big games against UNC, UVA, State, etc. He had his lows--unquestionably-- but I think there is some selective memory at work with his contributions.

I'll be pulling for him. He's paid a heavy price in public for his transgressions and bonehead mistakes, and unfortunately he had to experience the worst outcome for growth.

-jk
05-12-2015, 09:05 PM
Not every player-coach relationship works. Second-hand allegations aside, Rasheed seems a good, thoughtful kid. I hope he can find a solid relationship with Turgeon (even as difficult as that was to type living just outside the Beltway in MD!).

-jk

devildeac
05-12-2015, 10:22 PM
What?

He's on second.

stals
05-12-2015, 10:37 PM
Uh what? You don't care about how Duke graduates, specifically former members of the basketball team, do post graduation in whatever field they choose to pursue? He's not an outsider, he's a Duke alumnus.

You're right, I should have said who cares about his performance with the Twerps.
Sorry.

Dev11
05-12-2015, 11:14 PM
Acknowledging that this is something of a sensitive subject for the Duke community, please be civil. This board will concur that beef can be considered barbecue before it comes to any sort of consensus opinion about how to feel about Rasheed Sulaimon.

Edouble
05-13-2015, 01:24 AM
Or perhaps Coach K got him to occasionally play as close to his potential as was possible.

I guess we'll know when we see him next year in a Maryland uniform.

subzero02
05-13-2015, 02:39 AM
Has there been a transfer in the Coach K era that has scored as many points as Rasheed? I don't know if I'll be able to watch any maryland games next year... I really think that it will be entirely too weird. I know the NCAA thrives on story lines during tournament time I just hope they can't get a Duke/maryland game to happen.

Troublemaker
05-13-2015, 07:57 AM
Has there been a transfer in the Coach K era that has scored as many points as Rasheed? I don't know if I'll be able to watch any maryland games next year... I really think that it will be entirely too weird. I know the NCAA thrives on story lines during tournament time I just hope they can't get a Duke/maryland game to happen.

Both teams are usually going to have the East Region (which is Philadelphia in 2016) as the geographical preference, so it could easily happen just based on following the bracketing rules, too. Maybe Duke's the 1 seed and Maryland's the 2 seed this upcoming season or something like that.

MCFinARL
05-13-2015, 09:03 AM
Both teams are usually going to have the East Region (which is Philadelphia in 2016) as the geographical preference, so it could easily happen just based on following the bracketing rules, too. Maybe Duke's the 1 seed and Maryland's the 2 seed this upcoming season or something like that.

Or, perish the thought, vice versa.

SupaDave
05-13-2015, 01:14 PM

I watched Syracuse football for one year - it was weird but I enjoyed it!!!

devildeac
05-13-2015, 05:37 PM
Acknowledging that this is something of a sensitive subject for the Duke community, please be civil. This board will concur that beef can be considered barbecue before it comes to any sort of consensus opinion about how to feel about Rasheed Sulaimon.

Only in Texas.:rolleyes:;)

Neals384
05-14-2015, 11:31 AM

Jarhead
05-14-2015, 01:56 PM

From the Movie, "Buck Privates" in 1941.

Olympic Fan
05-14-2015, 07:02 PM
From the Movie, "Buck Privates" in 1941.

Don't think so ... Abbott and Costello did an abbreviated version of the routine in the 1940 film "One Night in the Tropics". But the classic version was in the 1945 film "Naughty Nineties."

That's for screen -- the duo had been doing the routine in various forms in the late 1930s and the debuted it nationally on Kate Smith's radio show in 1940. They copywrited the routine in 1944.

Here's the clip from The Naughty Nineties:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQXwt83hYkE

And you might try this version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Jg7pvVzKk

Wander
05-14-2015, 08:45 PM
I know the NCAA thrives on story lines during tournament time I just hope they can't get a Duke/maryland game to happen.

Can we all drop this? It seemed 95% of the board agreed that the NCAA would intentionally set up a Duke/Maryland match-up LAST tournament, and even though it would have been VERY easy to do given the seedings of the two schools, it didn't happen. The selection committee doesn't do the storyline thing.

devildeac
05-14-2015, 10:22 PM

What?

I don't know...

MarkD83
05-15-2015, 02:32 AM
What?

I don't know...

Third base

subzero02
05-15-2015, 02:38 AM
I watched Syracuse football for one year - it was weird but I enjoyed it!!!

That's completely different. Don't compare apples to orange men...

superdave
10-23-2015, 01:46 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25350596/rasheed-sulaimons-mom-sounds-off-on-mike-krzyzewski-over-sons-dismissal

Not much here but some venting.

mattman91
10-23-2015, 01:53 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25350596/rasheed-sulaimons-mom-sounds-off-on-mike-krzyzewski-over-sons-dismissal

Not much here but some venting.

Rasheed handled the situation with more maturity than his mommy.

Troublemaker
10-23-2015, 01:55 PM
I completely don't understand the following quote:

“He said on TV when he let him go, ‘It's a privilege to go to Duke.' He needs to take that back. It's a privilege to go to college -- period," said Angela Sulaimon, who has helped put Rasheed's four older siblings through college. "It was a privilege to have Rasheed. I promise you that not all of his players have the GPA that Rasheed had. If he had kept him on the team, he would have graduated in December.”

Isn't Rasheed a graduate transfer to Maryland, meaning he graduated from Duke this past summer?

ChillinDuke
10-23-2015, 02:01 PM

Isn't Rasheed a graduate transfer to Maryland, meaning he graduated from Duke this past summer?

Meh, just a mom being a mom and defending her son.

I get it.

I probably wouldn't publicize those feelings, but I'd probably feel similar ones. [Full disclosure - I am not a parent (yet).]

My main disagreement is the "It's not a privilege to go to Duke, but it is a privilege to have my son on your team." line of thinking. But again, moms are moms.

I'm cool with it.

- Chillin

Kedsy
10-23-2015, 02:12 PM

I believe it's because he took extra summer classes, specifically so he could be a grad-transfer. If he'd stayed at Duke, he probably wouldn't have done that, hence he could have graduated in December.

moonpie23
10-23-2015, 02:14 PM
good luck to rasheed. Hope his life is vertical.....

hope he doesn't get a chance to torch us....

Lar77
10-23-2015, 02:14 PM
Mom being a mom.

I always liked Rasheed as a player and congratulate for working hard to finish his degree. I wish him well with the Terps.

Kfanarmy
10-23-2015, 02:41 PM

That is an odd statement...why even print that article? It has no worthwhile content...reporter must have been completely inept at asking follow-up questions.

CDu
10-23-2015, 02:51 PM
That is an odd statement...why even print that article? It has no worthwhile content...reporter must have been completely inept at asking follow-up questions.

As Kedsy said, Sulaimon (had he not been kicked off the team) would have graduated in December (ahead of his class) this year. In other words, he was a full semester ahead of his graduating class. That is noteworthy. She was saying that he wasn't just along for the ride, he was handling his business in the classroom for sure.

Being that full semester ahead of his graduating class is what allowed him to graduate in the summer (after a full load in the summer) and leave as a grad transfer.

But her point was that Sulaimon was a model student in terms of being able to not only graduate but to do so in under 4 years.

And I agree with those who said this is just a case of "moms being moms". She is obviously protective of her son. I'm sure Coach K would commend her for that. But there were obviously reasons Coach K kicked Sulaimon off the team.

InSpades
10-23-2015, 03:07 PM
This whole thing (his mom's commentary) is silly.

Yes, Sulaimon may have been a model student (I don't think anyone ever said anything to the contrary).

Yes, Sulaimon may have been wrongly accused of some hideous acts (no one will ever actually know except him and the accusers).

At the end of the day, Coach K decided that Duke basketball was better off without Sulaimon on the team. No one will ever know exactly what went into that decision but I can imagine it was a lot of different things (the accusation could be a small or large part of that, my guess is small). This is the 1st time he's ever decided that. That's a big deal. A lot of kids have come and gone... a decent number ran into problems along the way (as happens in every program). He's the only one Coach decided to let go. I'm not one of those "K can do no wrong" fans but when it comes to something like this I have no reason to do anything but trust his judgement.

As for Rasheed... I wish him the best at Maryland. I'll always view him as a guy who made a mistake, paid the price and tried to move on the best he could. I hope that mistake was something due to immaturity (bad attitude in practice or something along those lines) and give him the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't something more severe.

As for his mom... I doubt she knows the full story. She's defending her son... can't fault her for that. I can't say her opinion carries much weight though.

Bluedog
10-23-2015, 03:07 PM
As Kedsy said, Sulaimon (had he not been kicked off the team) would have graduated in December (ahead of his class) this year. In other words, he was a full semester ahead of his graduating class. That is noteworthy. She was saying that he wasn't just along for the ride, he was handling his business in the classroom for sure.

Being that full semester ahead of his graduating class is what allowed him to graduate in the summer (after a full load in the summer) and leave as a grad transfer.

But her point was that Sulaimon was a model student in terms of being able to not only graduate but to do so in under 4 years.

And I agree with those who said this is just a case of "moms being moms". She is obviously protective of her son. I'm sure Coach K would commend her for that. But there were obviously reasons Coach K kicked Sulaimon off the team.

Agree with all your points, but considering basketball players take summer school before EVERY year, graduating a semester early is not all that impressive. Having said that, Sulaimon was in Duke's TIP program and was supposedly a very strong student in high school, so I do expect he was in the upper echelon of Duke basketball players from an academic perspective. (But being a good student doesn't mean he was perfect in every way and obviously Coach K saw other behavior unbecoming of a Duke basketball player in order to dismiss him from the program.)

Kfanarmy
10-23-2015, 03:10 PM

I was a bit unclear...I get Kedsy's point. I just think the article is a waist of "ink"

Bob Green
10-23-2015, 03:54 PM
I just think the article is a waist of "ink"

waste

BD80
10-23-2015, 05:33 PM
Agree with all your points, but considering basketball players take summer school before EVERY year, graduating a semester early is not all that impressive. ...

While participating in a major D1 sport, particularly for a team that travels extensively? Actually it still is impressive, particularly given his course of study and reported academic success.

What jumped out at me was the way his mother selected her words when discussing the reasons for the dismissal. She never said the allegations were false or that Sheed was completely innocent. She basically is upset with Coach K for not standing by Sheed through it all. As stated above, it doesn't sound like she knew of everything that was going on and what efforts had been made before the dismissal.

Jeffrey
10-23-2015, 06:41 PM

Agreed, all are excellent reasons for why he should not have lost his academic scholarship and been allowed to finish his Duke education.

Of course, none of those are good reasons why a basketball coach should have to keep a disruptive player on his team.

Skitzle
10-24-2015, 03:36 AM
Did he lose his scholarship while working to graduate? I guess he as to right?

Jim3k
10-24-2015, 04:53 AM
Did he lose his scholarship while working to graduate? I guess he as to right?

I don't believe so. I recall Krzyzewski saying in the midst of the dismissal that Sulaimon was free to continue at Duke under scholarship until he graduated.

BD80
10-24-2015, 09:28 AM
I don't believe so. I recall Krzyzewski saying in the midst of the dismissal that Sulaimon was free to continue at Duke under scholarship until he graduated.

That cad! No wonder mom was so upset!

lotusland
10-24-2015, 09:42 AM
I was a bit unclear...I get Kedsy's point. I just think the article is a waist of "ink"

Tramp stamp?

johnb
10-24-2015, 11:35 AM
K has never kicked a player off the team before, but he did abruptly tell a depressed Andre Dawkins that he wasn't welcome to play at Duke the following year, and I'm sure he counseled out at least a few of the guys who transferred. K is a great leader and role model, but he's not soft and he doesn't sugar coat.

I was impressed that Rasheed kept his mouth shut, unsurprised that his mother would take his side, and happy with the results (given the NC, Duke didn't miss him). Assuming the sexual allegations were false and that he got kicked off for having a bad attitude, here's to hoping the experience will help him mature.

Since we're on the subject, I wonder if Laettner would have gotten kicked off the team if he'd been our 6th best player, only getting limited minutes/game, and acting like himself (with the added frustration of the limited minutes).

TruBlu
10-24-2015, 12:30 PM
K has never kicked a player off the team before, but he did abruptly tell a depressed Andre Dawkins that he wasn't welcome to play at Duke the following year, and I'm sure he counseled out at least a few of the guys who transferred. K is a great leader and role model, but he's not soft and he doesn't sugar coat.

Is that (my bolded) how it happened? My understanding was that it was a mutual decision based on what was best for Andre, due to Andre's inability to get past the tragic death of his sister.

(I could be wrong . . . it has been known to happen.)

ricks68
10-24-2015, 12:35 PM
Is that (my bolded) how it happened? My understanding was that it was a mutual decision based on what was best for Andre, due to Andre's inability to get past the tragic death of his sister.

I strongly believe that you are 100% correct.

ricks

Bluedog
10-24-2015, 01:03 PM

I strongly believe that you are 100% correct.

ricks

It was a decision that was instigated by the coaching staff. You can interpret that however you want:
"After the season, Krzyzewski and other Duke coaches suggested that he might need a break. They sat down with Andre and after a long conversation -- one they maybe should have had much earlier -- they told him that he needed to focus on himself, and nothing else. He needed to get counseling. He needed to heal..."

"The main mission for him," Duke assistant coach Jeff Capel told GoDuke.com recently, was "for him to get better."

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2013/10/31/5047804/andre-dawkins-duke-basketball-profile-2013-season

TruBlu
10-24-2015, 01:26 PM
It was a decision that was instigated by the coaching staff. You can interpret that however you want:
"After the season, Krzyzewski and other Duke coaches suggested that he might need a break. They sat down with Andre and after a long conversation -- one they maybe should have had much earlier -- they told him that he needed to focus on himself, and nothing else. He needed to get counseling. He needed to heal..."

"The main mission for him," Duke assistant coach Jeff Capel told GoDuke.com recently, was "for him to get better."

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2013/10/31/5047804/andre-dawkins-duke-basketball-profile-2013-season

Doesn't exactly sound like abruptly telling "a depressed Andre Dawkins that he wasn't welcome on the Duke team the following year".

Anyway, back on subject, I will be pulling for Rasheed to have a great season playing for an underachieving Maryland team*.

*Hopefully they underachieve after they play unc.

Edouble
10-24-2015, 01:56 PM
Doesn't exactly sound like abruptly telling "a depressed Andre Dawkins that he wasn't welcome on the Duke team the following year".

Anyway, back on subject, I will be pulling for Rasheed to have a great season playing for an underachieving Maryland team*.

*Hopefully they underachieve after they play unc.

Exactly, and FWIW, Andre didn't really want to be on the team. In the Sports Illustrated article, Andre talked about how he dreaded going to practice and once the season ended, he was relieved that he didn't have to do anything else basketball related.

Suilamon's situation was completely different. He wanted more playing time, a starting role, and was bringing the team down, as opposed to Andre, who just wanted to avoid attention, keep his head down, and ride the season out quietly.

Mike Corey
10-24-2015, 02:36 PM
https://artofeducation.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/parents-yelling-at-teachers.jpg

This isn't about the grades, but strikes me as otherwise fitting regarding Mrs. Sulaimon's remarks.

Rasheed himself has handled everything post-dismissal with great class. I'll be rooting for him--hard--for the duration of his career, unless and until he does something that warrants otherwise.

johnb
10-25-2015, 02:26 AM
Exactly, and FWIW, Andre didn't really want to be on the team. In the Sports Illustrated article, Andre talked about how he dreaded going to practice and once the season ended, he was relieved that he didn't have to do anything else basketball related.

Suilamon's situation was completely different. He wanted more playing time, a starting role, and was bringing the team down, as opposed to Andre, who just wanted to avoid attention, keep his head down, and ride the season out quietly.

One person's depression can look a lot like a bad attitude.

From the SI article:

"In the days that followed, Dawkins came to the practice facility for weightlifting, but he noticed that he was not on any of the schedules for individual workouts. That's weird, he thought. When he went to Krzyzewski's office for what he assumed was a standard end-of-season meeting, Coach K dropped the bomb on him. 'You're not going to play for us next year,' he said."

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2013/11/13/andre-dawkins

Obviously, none of us was there, but it struck me as not completely out of character for K to be abrupt with a player who had gotten self involved, petulant, and (unknown to the team at the time) depressed. Maybe they went on to have a heart to heart that day, but that is not what was implied in the article. My assumption has been that Andre was welcomed back into the fold after he began to recover from the depression, not when he was acting like a bad apple.

richardjackson199
01-20-2016, 07:35 PM
This is the first time I've heard it put this way. From Al Featherston's excellent article today:

"Two weeks later, Mike Krzyzewski faced another crisis when Rasheed Sulaimon quit the team, leaving the Blue Devils with just eight scholarship players."

Um there is a huge difference between quitting a team and being dismissed i.e. kicked off the team, right? My understanding has always been that he was dismissed, but Al is usually pretty careful with his wording. Hmmm... ???

Can anyone clarify?

CDu
01-20-2016, 07:38 PM
This is the first time I've heard it put this way. From Al Featherston's excellent article today:

"Two weeks later, Mike Krzyzewski faced another crisis when Rasheed Sulaimon quit the team, leaving the Blue Devils with just eight scholarship players."

Um there is a huge difference between quitting a team and being dismissed i.e. kicked off the team, right? My understanding has always been that he was dismissed, but Al is usually pretty careful with his wording. Hmmm... ???

Can anyone clarify?

It was pretty specific in Coach K's report that he was dismissed from the team for repeated failure to conduct himself to the standards set for a Duke player. I believe Featherston goofed there.

BD80
01-21-2016, 07:57 AM

Can anyone clarify?

Maybe he meant: "when Rasheed Sulaimon quit on the team" ... leading to his dismissal.

Jeffrey
01-21-2016, 10:33 AM

Can anyone clarify?

Maybe, it's a little harder to somewhat pity K for the "crisis", if it was stated as K's decision?

Two weeks later, Mike Krzyzewski faced another crisis, when Mike Krzyzewski dismissed Rasheed Sulaimon from the team, leaving the Blue Devils with just eight scholarship players.

IMO, if you state it as dismissal, then you almost need to get into the reasons for dismissal to credit K with saving us from another crisis.

Furniture
05-16-2016, 05:08 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/BFeHhvIrgG7/?taken-by=kingsulaimon0

kingsulaimon0Words can't express how excited I was to be back in Durham with my family and friends this past weekend for Duke's graduation ceremony. The years I spent there, I created a family away from home and I know it will continue way past our years spent together in college. It was an amazing way to close out our 4 years of friendship. Love you guys and thanks for making this weekend a special memory we will always remember. #RealFriends 💯 @amilejefferson @_mcarrasco @arielgrain @brittanybbutler @gabstonator

MCFinARL
05-16-2016, 05:32 PM

kingsulaimon0Words can't express how excited I was to be back in Durham with my family and friends this past weekend for Duke's graduation ceremony. The years I spent there, I created a family away from home and I know it will continue way past our years spent together in college. It was an amazing way to close out our 4 years of friendship. Love you guys and thanks for making this weekend a special memory we will always remember. #RealFriends 💯 @amilejefferson @_mcarrasco @arielgrain @brittanybbutler @gabstonator

Nice! Don't know if we will ever know the full story there, but glad he values his Duke friends and degree enough to come back and walk. A little ironic Coach K was the speaker....

moonpie23
05-16-2016, 09:41 PM

there's a whole lot of something in this post.....i think it's a good thing...

lmb
05-17-2016, 09:34 AM
Anyone know whose family is in the top left pic?

Skitzle
05-17-2016, 05:09 PM
Anyone know whose family is in the top left pic?

Sheed's Family. Possible he chose to walk with his original class?

Furniture
05-17-2016, 06:54 PM
Sheed's Family. Possible he chose to walk with his original class?

He graduated at the end of last summer so this must have been the first opportunity to walk and since he graduated early it matches with the rest of his class. Right?

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-17-2016, 07:05 PM

If you look closely at the group picture on the top right, you'll see DeVon Edwards and his girlfriend. Rasheed's friends extend far beyond the basketball program.

Indoor66
05-18-2016, 08:00 AM
If you look closely at the group picture on the top right, you'll see DeVon Edwards and his girlfriend. Rasheed's friends extend far beyond the basketball program.

How far is it from basketball to football? But I understand your point and appreciate your making it. Rasheed seems to be a Duke grad through and through.

MCFinARL
05-18-2016, 11:56 AM
He graduated at the end of last summer so this must have been the first opportunity to walk and since he graduated early it matches with the rest of his class. Right?

Yes, right.

subzero02
05-18-2016, 07:53 PM
How far is it from basketball to football? But I understand your point and appreciate your making it. Rasheed seems to be a Duke grad through and through.

How far is it from basketball to football? Wallace Wade and Cameron couldn't be closer; they also couldn't be further apart. Next riddle...

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-18-2016, 08:20 PM
How far is it from basketball to football? Wallace Wade and Cameron couldn't be closer; they also couldn't be further apart. Next riddle...

The reason I made the original comment which Indoor66 then commented upon is this: Rasheed has many friends in his class and on campus. His friends include DeVon Edwards, one of our football players who may not be recognized by those who aren't interested in or don't follow Duke football.

OldPhiKap
05-18-2016, 08:39 PM

Wait, wait, wait -- is it the Sphinx?

Indoor66
05-18-2016, 08:53 PM
Wait, wait, wait -- is it the Sphinx?

Nah, the paws are not big enough.

OldPhiKap
05-18-2016, 10:29 PM
Nah, the paws are not big enough.

Darn. I never get this one right.

Happy for Sheed, congrats on the degree. Hope you have a great life going forward, and thanks for what you did for Duke.