PDA

View Full Version : New DBR Podcast with a special guest - NOLAN SMITH!!!

JasonEvans
05-10-2015, 05:27 PM
That's right folk, the latest edition of the DBR podcast (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/episode-25-51015-nolan-smith-joins-us)features none other than NDotSmitty himself as a special guest. I have not had time to timestamp all the details of the podcast yet, but rest assured the interview with Nolan is a true highlight. It includes a Coach K story that is truly legendary. I can't give all the details, you need to listen to the podcast for that, I'll only tell you that it invokes the movie 300. How is that for a tease?!?!

We also talk about Dukies in the NBA, Justin Robinson getting a scholarship, and what clothes we are wearing (because you know you were wondering what we wear to record the podcast).

Enjoy!!

-Jason "a million thanks to Nolan for joining us!" Evans

Dev11
05-10-2015, 06:35 PM
0:00 Welcome to Episode 25! Jason got dressed up for the occasion.
1:00 Duke legend Nolan Smith joins us this week.
2:00 Nolan discusses his pro career, including the changes he's experienced and the struggles he's dealt with. Nolan teaches us Croatian.
5:30 Is Nolan interested in coaching?
7:30 Nolan discusses what it's like being back at Duke rehabbing and working with the team.
9:55 What does Nolan think about Quinn Cook, being one of his main mentors?
11:45 Nolan analyzes his evolution as a Duke player.
13:00 Nolan makes an interesting observation about Coach K's accomplishments later in his career.
15:10 Nolan discusses his legacy in the rafters of Cameron.
16:45 Who does Nolan stay in touch with from his championship team?
18:00 Nolan discusses the NBA playoffs.
19:15 We get Nolan to share a hilarious Coach K motivational tactic, and he answers Sam's most pressing question.
22:00 Bye Nolan!
22:30 We review the interview and share our favorite moments.
27:40 The DBR Podcast's favorite player, Justin Robinson, earned a scholarship. What could that mean?
31:15 Duke had a big week in the NFL draft. Donald and Sam are buying new jerseys for Duke players who got drafted by their favorite teams.
36;30 The Clippers, AKA Duke West, have gotten huge contributions from a pair of former Blue Devils. Jason dives into the maturation of Austin Rivers.
40:45 Mike Dunleavy had an assist the other night. Jason gets his tongue tied, and Sam brings back a point Nolan made about basketball in Europe.
42:30 Shoutout to Gerald Henderson for walking at graduation today.
44:00 Donald's parting shot is a bit of self promotion for his other life as a soccer fan.
46:10 Duke Lacrosse isn't going to the Final Four this season. How great is John Danowski?
48:40 Christian Laettner is still trolling Kentucky.
50:00 Bye for now!

Links, as always:
Soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast)
iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dbr-podcast/id954964236?mt=2)
Stitcher (http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/58077/details)

JasonEvans
05-13-2015, 01:44 PM
People.... really.... no comment on Coach K playing the role of a Spartan?!?!

gam7
05-13-2015, 07:36 PM

It is a very amusing visual. I would have loved to have been part of the discussion when coach k told the other coaches he was going to do this. This is probably the same incident Julius hodge told another podcast that Taylor King had told him from his time at duke. Hodge didn't say what team duke was playing but nolan said it was before a Carolina game. Might have been more appropriate for a Michigan state game but great story!

JStuart
05-13-2015, 10:25 PM

Jason,
just finished listening -outstanding edition, just as all the rest are- and it occurs to me, wouldn't Big Mike have a sword presented to him as a commissioned Army officer after graduation from West Point? I mean, haven't you seen wedding photos from the Chapel there, with classmates making an arch over the newly wed couple with their swords? Nolan didn't say if it was a true trojan replica sword, after all, and I'm sure Mickie knew which closet at home that the sword was hiding in....
Keep these shows coming...way better than the usual board threads!
JStuart

juise
05-14-2015, 02:00 AM

I think we need a Jason Robichau rendering of this event. That's a must-have for your dining room wall. I feel like Zoubs' reaction (primal Zoubeard scream) would be a key feature.

Henderson
05-14-2015, 10:59 AM

Another great podcast. Good to hear from Nolan about his plans going forward, and the sword thing was a hoot.

Interviewing suggestion: I think people need to stop asking the open ended question, "How about a funny Coach K story?" It always results in the same hesitating response while the interviewee tries to come up with something that is both amusing and respectful on the fly. It usually results in some awkward pauses. The interview with Nolan is a case in point.

That said, this edition of the podcast gets a solid thumbs up. Thanks for doing these.

Edouble
05-15-2015, 01:00 AM

I had heard that story previously in an interview with Taylor King that was posted on the front page. It was posted at some point this past season.

Constructive Criticism: I listened to the interview on headphones. The audio was killin' me, yo. I nearly blew out my ears with Nolan being so soft, then it switching back to the interviewers, who were at a much higher volume.

blazindw
05-17-2015, 12:09 AM
I had heard that story previously in an interview with Taylor King that was posted on the front page. It was posted at some point this past season.

Constructive Criticism: I listened to the interview on headphones. The audio was killin' me, yo. I nearly blew out my ears with Nolan being so soft, then it switching back to the interviewers, who were at a much higher volume.

Yea, I edited this week's episode and tried to amplify Nolan's audio while reducing ours so it somewhat matched. Clearly, I need more practice. :)