PDA

View Full Version : Gerald Henderson: Duke Graduate

Tripping William
05-10-2015, 01:47 PM
At least if his Instagram account is to be believed.

https://instagram.com/p/2go_ugxLVg/

Props to G!

Indoor66
05-10-2015, 02:09 PM
You also made a lot of us proud as well. Congratulations.

freshmanjs
05-10-2015, 02:10 PM
another example showing that the idea that players should not enter the draft early because they should earn a degree is totally absurd.

bob blue devil
05-10-2015, 02:11 PM
That's great. I have a special admiration for someone who can juggle finishing their degree with a career. Practical question - how did he do this? Does Duke offer a lot of remote courses these days or something?

dukelifer
05-10-2015, 02:22 PM
That's great. I have a special admiration for someone who can juggle finishing their degree with a career. Practical question - how did he do this? Does Duke offer a lot of remote courses these days or something?

Not making the playoffs helps- time to take summer courses

BigWayne
05-10-2015, 02:22 PM

First off, congrats to G for taking the initiative to finish the job.

On the question above, remember G was at Duke for 3 years. Presuming he got some summer credits during that time as most of the BBall players do, he probably didn't have a huge list of classes to complete.

Dev11
05-10-2015, 02:26 PM
If this is the standard for how long it takes to finish the last year's worth of credits, Kyrie's plan seems ambitious.

OldPhiKap
05-10-2015, 02:30 PM
If this is the standard for how long it takes to finish the last year's worth of credits, Kyrie's plan seems ambitious.

I think he may be Uncle Drew's age!

Great job, Gerald. Congrats.

Devil77
05-10-2015, 02:47 PM
another example showing that the idea that players should not enter the draft early because they should earn a degree is totally absurd.

That's silly.

freshmanjs
05-10-2015, 02:51 PM
That's silly.

why?

CameronBornAndBred
05-10-2015, 03:52 PM
G is in good company! From Duke BBall's FB page.

Bluedog
05-10-2015, 03:58 PM
Is this deja vu? Gerald got his degree in August 2014 (after taking summer courses): http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?34112-Gerald-Graduates!

August 8, 2014:

Gerald Henderson @GhJr09 · 13h
I am an official Duke Alum today! Definitely one of the cooler things I've done in life!! Thanks to everyone who helped along the way

He must have walked just now though since this is the first commencement ceremony since then. Definitely deserves that experience.

Devil77
05-10-2015, 04:00 PM
G graduating has nothing to do with whether players should or should not enter the draft early.

freshmanjs
05-10-2015, 04:35 PM
G graduating has nothing to do with whether players should or should not enter the draft early.

I think it does. It shows that a player can graduate even after declaring early. It (should) take getting a degree off the table as an issue in the decision.

dukelifer
05-10-2015, 04:40 PM
G is in good company! From Duke BBall's FB page.

Was there a pic of the three Plumlee brothers- now all Duke graduates and National Champions!

CameronBornAndBred
05-10-2015, 05:37 PM
Was there a pic of the three Plumlee brothers- now all Duke graduates and National Champions!
I saw one with Mason and Marshall. Not sure about Miles, I hope he's there too! Need a shot with their three rings. :)

blazindw
05-10-2015, 05:40 PM
Is this deja vu? Gerald got his degree in August 2014 (after taking summer courses): http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?34112-Gerald-Graduates!

August 8, 2014:

Gerald Henderson @GhJr09 · 13h
I am an official Duke Alum today! Definitely one of the cooler things I've done in life!! Thanks to everyone who helped along the way

He must have walked just now though since this is the first commencement ceremony since then. Definitely deserves that experience.

This is true. There is no December graduation, so this was his chance to do the cap-and-gown thing.

OZ
05-10-2015, 08:55 PM
"7 hours ago · Duke Divinity School
Think I made pops proud today!"

Perhaps, I am reading this incorrectly. Is this suggesting that he graduated from "Duke Divinity School?" If so, he would have graduated from an under-graduate program in order to be accepted in their program.

blazindw
05-10-2015, 08:57 PM
"7 hours ago · Duke Divinity School
Think I made pops proud today!"

Perhaps, I am reading this incorrectly. Is this suggesting that he graduated from "Duke Divinity School?" If so, he would have graduated from an under-graduate program in order to be accepted in their program.

No, you can major in religion as an undergrad. If he did that, the ceremony would likely be at the Div School.

OZ
05-10-2015, 09:00 PM
If he did that, the ceremony would likely be at the Div School.

I went to Duke as an under-grad and then graduated from Duke Divinity School. Not sure I knew that.

blazindw
05-10-2015, 09:07 PM
I went to Duke as an under-grad and then graduated from Duke Divinity School. Not sure I knew that.

Technically, the major is Religious Studies, but yes you can get a religion major. It's through Trinity, but the ceremony for those majors back then was held at the Divinity School. Doesn't necessarily mean he has a Div degree. Major graduation ceremonies are held all over campus. Some make sense (Public Policy majors at Sanford), some don't (Pratt majors in Cameron this year).

weezie
05-10-2015, 09:17 PM
Religious Studies no joke, that's a tough major. Tons of writing.

Good for our Gerald!

KenTankerous
05-10-2015, 09:21 PM

Good for our Gerald!

It's extra amazing that he could do all that writing after Hansblahblah tried to break Gerald's elbow with his head that one time in chapel blah.

Bluedog
05-10-2015, 10:15 PM

Good for our Gerald!

Gerald majored in Psychology, not religious studies. I'm pretty sure it's just the geotagging of Instagram since the pic was taken in front of the divinity school. Just a nice background to take a pic. :)

stillcrazie
05-10-2015, 10:27 PM
Gerald majored in Psychology, not religious studies. I'm pretty sure it's just the geotagging of Instagram since the pic was taken in front of the divinity school. Just a nice background to take a pic. :)

On the other hand, I believe that Shane Battier was a religious studies major. I did course work towards my religion Ph.D. with the world-renowned E. P. Sanders, who told my class one day how smart Shane Battier was. He said Battier could have been a Duke undergrad without the basketball scholarship. I know that does not surprise many of us on this board, but thought I'd share this tidbit.

blazindw
05-10-2015, 10:35 PM
He said Battier could have been a Duke undergrad without the basketball scholarship.

The best part about attending Duke University: I could say the same thing of almost every single student-athlete that chooses to compete at our fine institution of higher learning.