PDA

View Full Version : MLax: OSU 16, Duke 11 FINAL

Highlander
05-09-2015, 09:43 PM
http://www.cstv.com/gametracker/launch/gt_mlacros.html?event=1424403&school=fo&sport=mlacros&camefrom=&startschool=&

Season ends on a disappointing note. After taking an early lead, the Devils came undone in the second and third periods. A late rally was too little, too late.

fuse
05-09-2015, 09:49 PM
http://www.cstv.com/gametracker/launch/gt_mlacros.html?event=1424403&school=fo&sport=mlacros&camefrom=&startschool=&

Season ends on a disappointing note. After taking an early lead, the Devils came undone in the second and third periods. A late rally was too little, too late.

Pretty kind assessment of a game that was hard to watch.
The team looked totally unprepared, and the defense was porous.
Passes were lazy, errant, and a lot of over throws and easy drops.
Maybe too many players had late nights during graduation weekend?

Just about every circus shot OSU took went in.
OSU wanted it more and played like it.

I did not really expect a threepeat.
My hope is this is motivation for Myles Jones and company for next season.
Tough way to end the season being embarrassed on your home field.

Capn Poptart
05-09-2015, 10:08 PM
Wow. Really embarrassing loss at home. I guess a couple of natties makes you complacent.

Duvall
05-09-2015, 10:13 PM
Quietly a somewhat disappointing year for Duke athletics, with the exception of you-know-what.

Ima Facultiwyfe
05-09-2015, 10:17 PM
Life lessons. Wait'll next year.
Love, Ima

Bob Green
05-10-2015, 06:32 AM
A very tough night for Danny Fowler. That game was painful to watch. Constantly turning the ball over is not a formula for success.

Acymetric
05-10-2015, 07:35 AM
Wow. Really embarrassing loss at home. I guess a couple of natties makes you complacent.

Thinking back to the preseason and early season, I think this is a better outcome than most expected. Disappointing yes, embarrassing and a sign of complacency I'm not so sure.

Indoor66
05-10-2015, 07:53 AM
Some years you're not quite so good. That's life.

Billy Dat
05-10-2015, 10:05 AM
The lax team has certainly created a high standard based on past performance. As a casual but interested fan, I also kind of thought they could just switch into May mode and make a run to the Final Four. The game started out looking that way....Still, making the NCAAs is more than most programs can muster. Sorry for the Seniors who had quite a run with the program.

DST Fan
05-10-2015, 11:07 AM
Thinking back to the preseason and early season, I think this is a better outcome than most expected. Disappointing yes, embarrassing and a sign of complacency I'm not so sure.

This comment bears repeating.

The 2014 class included two attacks who scored a total of more than 110 goals, the entire starting close defense, the number one LSM, and a member of the first midfield who was a major contributor. In addition to rebuilding, the team had to deal with several suspensions of players during the first month of the season. The results in the ACC tournament last month looked very promising and the defense was making major strides but, as Coach Danowski noted, the defense made many of its early season mistakes last night and the offense had a number of uncharacteristic, sloppy turnovers.

There is a lot to build on from this season. Although there were several major contributors in the senior class, next year's team will not have nearly the number of holes to fill. The team returns two new 50-goal scorers on attack (Guterding and Bruckner), two of top 5 midfielders in the country (Jones and Class) and a goalie who improved substantially over the season (Fowler). And, according to Inside Lacrosse, the number 4 and 5 recruits in this year's high school senior class will be joining the team next year, one of whom plays defense. I would have to say the odds of returning to the final four next year are not too bad.

captmojo
05-10-2015, 11:38 AM
Congratulations to Ohio State.
I will support the team that Duke lost to.
I hate to do it, but it could be worse.
The future looks bright.

Tom B.
05-11-2015, 11:23 AM
Quietly a somewhat disappointing year for Duke athletics, with the exception of you-know-what.

The year's not over yet. The women's lacrosse team is still alive, and the women's golf team just won their region and has a shot at another national title.

As of April 23, we're #25 in the Director's Cup standings. That includes the points for the men's basketball championship, but doesn't include any of the spring sports. So we're a bit below our usual standards, but still ahead of many other big Division 1 athletic programs, including a bunch in the ACC. We're currently sixth among the ACC programs, behind UNC, Notre Dame, Florida State, Virginia, and N.C. State -- and just ahead of Louisville.

http://www.nacda.com/directorscup/nacda-directorscup-current-scoring.html

MCFinARL
05-11-2015, 01:43 PM
The year's not over yet. The women's lacrosse team is still alive, and the women's golf team just won their region and has a shot at another national title.

As of April 23, we're #25 in the Director's Cup standings. That includes the points for the men's basketball championship, but doesn't include any of the spring sports. So we're a bit below our usual standards, but still ahead of many other big Division 1 athletic programs, including a bunch in the ACC. We're currently sixth among the ACC programs, behind UNC, Notre Dame, Florida State, Virginia, and N.C. State -- and just ahead of Louisville.

http://www.nacda.com/directorscup/nacda-directorscup-current-scoring.html

Men's tennis is also still alive, and women's tennis made the second round of NCAAs so will earn a few points for that. The Duke men are not seeded to get out of this week's NCAA golf regional but could surprise. And Duke may pick up some points in track and field, where Megan Clark has the third highest pole vault in the NCAA so far this outdoor season and won the silver medal at the indoor championships.

But of course, Duke is unlikely to earn any baseball points and does not currently have softball, so many other schools (including ACC schools) will have big opportunities to get an advantage there.

The first-round loss for the men is especially disappointing from a Director's Cup standpoint because the jump from a 9-16 finish to a 5-8 finish is from 25 to 60 points (compared to first place points of 100). For the players feeling the sting of a season that ended at least a week earlier than it "should" have, though, I doubt the Director's Cup situation is a big factor.

In post-game remarks, Danowski said there was nothing in this game that they hadn't seen in the team all year--it was just that the warts (my word, not his) all showed up at once, and not at the best time. After getting through an okay first quarter, he thought the team played tight in the second and third quarters, especially after getting behind, and that there was not a clear leader on this relatively young team to be the guy who would inspire everyone by stepping up.

Going forward, I agree with the posters who have suggested that this year may provide important learning and motivational experience for next year's team, which will include most of the same players. It's easy for us as fans to overlook the pressure players might feel as the younger, not quite so effective Duke team that has to follow back to back national champions and 8 straight Final Fours (not to mention 20 years of winning NCAA home games). All of that probably weighed pretty heavily once OSU started on their run. Next year as seniors, Myles Jones, Deemer Class and Case Matheis will be both more experienced as team leaders and hungrier. And our very young defense (sophs Dunne, Yanulis, Powley; frosh Pelton and Fowler) will be more experienced players. I'm optimistic they will be a more consistent team with fewer errors.