PDA

View Full Version : Where Roy missed his shot...

SupaDave
05-07-2015, 08:09 PM
Now this should get the party going.

Light years ago I argued feverishly that Roy should have signed Jordan's youngest son - who was decent enough at the D-1 level. People lambasted it but I always added the caveat that it was about more than just his basketball skills. Besides, with all the talent UNC had at the time he would have been able to just be part of the team. It was also the pedigree that came along with it.

Fast forward to 2015 and "all" K does is sign the sons of former NBA players including up to now - you guessed it - two 3 star players. And we're all feeling pretty good about the potential of those kids - and not expecting much at the same time.

I think if Roy signs Marcus then the Jordan machine gets overdrive for 4 years and nothing is as it is now...

Bob Green
05-07-2015, 09:04 PM

This sounds like a good discussion for Inside Carolina.

-jk
05-07-2015, 09:15 PM

Go figure (http://northcarolina.scout.com/forums/1410-basketball/13844472)!

Just saw where Justin Robinson will now be a full scholarship basketball player at [Duke] next season. You know, it doesn't hurt the image of the program when these kids of NBA greats keep signing to play with them. Wish we could get some of these big "name" kids!

-jk

BD80
05-07-2015, 09:31 PM

Light years ago I argued feverishly that Roy should have signed Jordan's youngest son - who was decent enough at the D-1 level. People lambasted it but I always added the caveat that it was about more than just his basketball skills. Besides, with all the talent UNC had at the time he would have been able to just be part of the team. It was also the pedigree that came along with it.

Fast forward to 2015 and "all" K does is sign the sons of former NBA players including up to now - you guessed it - two 3 star players. And we're all feeling pretty good about the potential of those kids - and not expecting much at the same time.

I think if Roy signs Brandon then the Jordan machine gets overdrive for 4 years and nothing is as it is now...

Can you imagine having to deal with MJ as a player's parent? We thought Chris Burgess' dad was bad!

When does the younger Ainge announce his choice?

SupaDave
05-07-2015, 09:43 PM

I know BG - it does but we have become a trusted spot for the kids of NBA players. It says a lot for how things have changed tremendously in just a few short years. I don't see it dropping off either.

It's amazing to me how fate has so many twists and turns. Now UNC is touting Luke Maye as a legacy - laughable at best.

devildeac
05-07-2015, 10:09 PM
Go figure (http://northcarolina.scout.com/forums/1410-basketball/13844472)!

-jk

Amusing. This is copied and pasted from what I saw clicking on this link:

PAGE NOT FOUND
Sorry, the page you requested was not found.

I'm%20a%20real%20wanker%20for%20saying%20this.I'm% 20a%20real%20wanker%20for%20saying%20this.I'm%20a% 20real%20wanker%20for%20saying%20this.I'm%20a%20re al%20wanker%20for%20saying%20this.ie?s=78[/url]

(Reference: HTTP404)

I just got wankered on IC:eek:.

westwall
05-07-2015, 10:37 PM

PAGE NOT FOUND

I'm%20a%20real%20wanker%20for%20saying%20this.I'm% 20a%20real%20wanker%20for%20saying%20this.I'm%20a% 20real%20wanker%20for%20saying%20this.I'm%20a%20re al%20wanker%20for%20saying%20this.ie?s=78[/url]

Hmmm. I got on the IC thread immediately. The first several posts on the subject of Robinson JR were reasonable -- even complimentary to K -- but then the idiots chimed in!

Duvall
05-07-2015, 10:41 PM

I think if Roy signs Brandon then the Jordan machine gets overdrive for 4 years and nothing is as it is now...

Is this the kid that cost his school a multi-million dollar sponsorship because he refused to wear Adidas? I doubt UNC missed out on very much.

mattman91
05-07-2015, 10:42 PM

PAGE NOT FOUND

You're only a 20% wanker!

SupaDave
05-07-2015, 11:47 PM
Is this the kid that cost his school a multi-million dollar sponsorship because he refused to wear Adidas? I doubt UNC missed out on very much.

Only thing is - UNC wore what he wore. Not just that but they got a Jordan deal shortly thereafter. I'm sure no one on the team was mad.

neemizzle
05-08-2015, 01:51 AM
Like many of you, I read IC for entertainment.

That being said, it's a 50/50 thing for them in regards to loving/hating Roy. I'm on the team that believes if he doesn't win this year, he's out. Truthfully, if he can't win with the team he's gonna have, he should be out. I was at the ACC Tournament the last two years, and saw the Pitt/UNC game that they were down by TWENTY at one point and came back but still lost. Then this year, although they made it to the title game, they still had their moments. I'm never going to forget Roy calling that TO and getting in Tokoto's grill and yelling and staring him down. I could hear it from my section on the second level. You have to wonder if it's things like that that made JP's decision to leave easier, but to some people, that's just coaching.

Don't get me wrong, Roy has 2 titles at UNC, and has had a solid career there. But his coaching and recruiting has changed the last couple of years. Sure they're getting good recruits, Pinson and Berry were in the top group of guys, and they did have injuries, but besides those 2, who's the last guy from there to really have that great of an impact for them? Paige is probably the closest you'd come to naming a good one. And even then, he plays one half per game, that being the 2nd half.

What I'm trying to say with all of this is, most UNC fans are convinced they'd rather have Roy at the helm of their program than "k-rat" as many as those fans all K over there. That's a downright crazy assessment, who in their right mind would say that? Roy's a hall of famer, and a great coach. But better than K? Come on, Heels. It's barbaric to even make that statement.

You're talking a coach in K that has 5 titles at one school in 3 different decades, 2 gold medals for the country in the Olympics, all while still recruiting the way he has is an achievement. Those are only 3 things he's done, and I'm sure Roy has done great things, but come on, Roy's missed his shot when it counts, closing games, closing situations, closing recruitments. K has become THE coach people want to play for. Even some Carolina fans on IC agree that K is on a roll, and it's frustrating them.

I'm sure that 50/50 hate/love line will become a 100/0 line soon if things don't change.

bob blue devil
05-08-2015, 05:51 AM
Like many of you, I read IC for entertainment.

That being said, it's a 50/50 thing for them in regards to loving/hating Roy. I'm on the team that believes if he doesn't win this year, he's out. ...

define "win" for me. i don't know that i see this, unless "win" means something similar to last year. i think the academic fraud is a more likely thing to push him out (or convince him to leave).

devildeac
05-08-2015, 06:59 AM
Hmmm. I got on the IC thread immediately. The first several posts on the subject of Robinson JR were reasonable -- even complimentary to K -- but then the idiots chimed in!

I tried -jk's link again this AM and it worked fine. Strangely, last PM, I got that amusing error message I posted above. You are correct that a few posts were reasonable, then I(diot) C(entral) became its usual waste receptacle.

devildeac
05-08-2015, 07:01 AM
You're only a 20% wanker!

That is not correct. Talk to anyone here and they'll confirm that I am a certified 100% wanker. :p:o

OldPhiKap
05-08-2015, 07:22 AM
That is not correct. Talk to anyone here and they'll confirm that I am a certified 100% wanker. :p:o

Well, sine you ARE seeking confirmation . . . .

;-)

neemizzle
05-08-2015, 07:42 AM
define "win" for me. i don't know that i see this, unless "win" means something similar to last year. i think the academic fraud is a more likely thing to push him out (or convince him to leave).

Win as in win a title. You know those sweater vests are itching for another title. And honestly, I agree with you about the academic fraud. It'll be one of the two, let's just say that.

gumbomoop
05-08-2015, 08:49 AM

;-)

I cosine OPK's assessment of dd's wankeristic tendencies, although it's actually tangential to the thread topic.

Skitzle
05-08-2015, 08:52 AM
I cosine OPK's assessment of dd's wankeristic tendencies, although it's actually tangential to the thread topic.

I don't get it... Is this a math joke? I'm obtuse when it comes to math.

SupaDave
05-08-2015, 08:52 AM

When has that ever stopped the folks at the IC? lol!

Main point being - we got the juice NOW!! Thank you Roy for pursuing HWSNBN to the detriment of your program - we love you.

Skitzle
05-08-2015, 08:54 AM
When has that ever stopped the folks at the IC? lol!

Main point being - we got the juice NOW!! Thank you Roy for pursuing HWSNBN to the detriment of your program - we love you.

Outside of 2009, 2005, and Tyler Hansborough, not sure roy has ever been a real benefit to his program.

That said, remember the whole Tami Hansborough debacle? Can we add that to the lack of institutional control argument?

MCFinARL
05-08-2015, 09:00 AM

I think that is just a sign you are not approaching things from the right angle.

OldPhiKap
05-08-2015, 09:02 AM
Outside of 2009, 2005, and Tyler Hansborough, not sure roy has ever been a real benefit to his program.

"All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation, medicine, education, irrigation, public health, roads, a freshwater system, baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?" -- Reg, Judean People's Front. (Not the Popular Front -- splitters).

Roy is a good coach. A very good coach. He is not a great in-game coach though.

And, of course, he turned a blind eye to a cheating program he either knew existed, or willfully shielded himself from it.

OldPhiKap
05-08-2015, 09:07 AM

I think that is just a sign you are not approaching things from the right angle.

TKG
05-08-2015, 09:11 AM

This sums it up, nicely.

MCFinARL
05-08-2015, 09:55 AM

This sums it up, nicely.

Aaaaaand, 6 months, more or less, until basketball season--but who's counting?

Lar77
05-08-2015, 10:11 AM
Aaaaaand, 6 months, more or less, until basketball season--but who's counting?

Now that strikes a chord

devildeac
05-08-2015, 10:28 AM

;-)

Isosceles what you folks are doing here.

MChambers
05-08-2015, 11:53 AM
These jokes all seem very derivative.

TKG
05-08-2015, 12:12 PM
These jokes all seem very derivative.

It's a function of our boredom.

Henderson
05-08-2015, 12:26 PM
Praying for summation.

And October's early arrival. Where is Punxatawney Phil when you need a real sine of hope?

snowdenscold
05-08-2015, 12:30 PM
First of all, these jokes are absolutely integral to our enjoyment of the off-season. They’re not a sine we’re doing anything wrong, even if their level of humor becomes difficult to differentiate after awhile.

Anybody trying to make us stop will quickly see their plans FOILed.

I would explain myself further, but I think that is best left as an exercise to the reader.

OldPhiKap
05-08-2015, 12:51 PM
{pfhht} What a bunch of squares.

Billy Dat
05-08-2015, 01:22 PM

I think if Roy signs Marcus then the Jordan machine gets overdrive for 4 years and nothing is as it is now...

I think you make a very good point with all of this. Having Jordan Jr. on the squad would have meant MJ attendance at an enormous number of games through that period, which would have meant rubbing elbows with parents and recruits (assuming he'd have been willing, especially considering he wore a 'Shav Country' tshirt for a photo during the Randolph recruitment). It certainly would have done something - most likely have turned his kid into a nervous wreck, but I think it would have helped recruiting.

devildeac
05-08-2015, 01:29 PM
Praying for summation.

And October's early arrival. Where is Punxatawney Phil when you need a real sine of hope?

I secant you?

(this one might be too much:o)

Henderson
05-08-2015, 01:37 PM
I secant you?

(this one might be too much:o)

I save secant for those times I'm on the ladder for one of Mrs. Henderson's projects, and there's a game on. "See? I can't" and back to the game. "It's kinda a math thing."

devildeac
05-08-2015, 01:39 PM
{pfhht} What a bunch of squares.

It's Hip to be Square.

TKG
05-08-2015, 01:40 PM
DBR posters sure are primed for this discussion.....

Henderson
05-08-2015, 01:56 PM
DBR posters sure are primed for this discussion.....

It's a hard thread to follow when you only read posts 2,3,5,7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, and 37.

NSDukeFan
05-08-2015, 02:16 PM
It's a hard thread to follow when you only read posts 2,3,5,7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, and 37.

I think you can still get to the root of it.

MChambers
05-08-2015, 02:24 PM

The answer will be in post 42.

jacone21
05-08-2015, 02:37 PM
I can't prove it, but this series of puns seems to be getting exponentially worse.

Selover
05-08-2015, 03:21 PM
The answer will be in post 42.

Nothing to see here :cool:

hudlow
05-08-2015, 03:26 PM
I'm gonna axis a mod to lock this thread.

devildeac
05-08-2015, 04:21 PM

X-actly, Y?

devildeac
05-08-2015, 04:22 PM

I'd agree. I think this thread's days are numbered.

cato
05-08-2015, 04:24 PM
This thread is so irrational, I cannot even express it.

devildeac
05-08-2015, 04:28 PM
This thread is so irrational, I cannot even express it.

Not even in imaginary terms?

swood1000
05-08-2015, 04:37 PM
Cone we just get back to the original topic?

jacone21
05-08-2015, 04:45 PM
Cone we just get back to the original topic?

It's possible, but that would be regression.

Indoor66
05-08-2015, 04:52 PM

Isn't he sometimes referred to as Dr. Wanker over at Bowman-Gray?

swood1000
05-08-2015, 04:53 PM
That was random.

OldPhiKap
05-08-2015, 05:02 PM

I wish we could put an end to the puns. Vthey seem to go to infinity. And beyond. Like, infinity plus one.

Tripping William
05-08-2015, 05:05 PM
That was random.

And that was mean.

BrazyATX
05-08-2015, 05:10 PM
I'm divided on whether or not the OP's theory has any value, and the root of the puns in this thread is only subtracting from my concentration. I think the common denominator here is that we're all excited to be Duke fans and not irrational UNC fans.

swood1000
05-08-2015, 05:19 PM
And that was mean.
Mean, bitwise.

hudlow
05-08-2015, 06:15 PM
X-actly, Y?

It's reached its absolute value.

:eek:

Tripping William
05-08-2015, 06:52 PM
Mean, bitwise.

Fair enough. I'll cut you some slack, as I appreciate this mode of analysis.

Sandman
05-08-2015, 07:04 PM
I'm just an average DBR member who's having difficulty integrating all these jokes. Since I can't vector in on the entire set, think I'll just go have some pi, which will of course force my mass to accelerate, but hopefully not exponentially.

swood1000
05-09-2015, 04:07 PM
Fair enough. I'll cut you some slack, as I appreciate this mode of analysis.
That's affine.